View Full Version : Shocking Discovery

Thunder
06-28-2008, 09:31 PM
Well.. I just found out that Smokey is actually a female. It is not what I planned, especially when I specifically wanted a brother for Fuzzy. Now, this one is actually a female...

Should I keep her or not. I dunno. The cost of having her fixed is much more and her personality may be not what I am wanting as she gets older.

Anyone have or know of anyone having a male Siamese kitten?

dalelakin
06-28-2008, 09:51 PM
Did your parents never have the "talk" with you?

How in the world do you just "discover" a pet is in fact a female and not a male?

sweetdaisy
06-28-2008, 10:04 PM
Are you serious with this post, Thunder? If so, what difference does it make?

Personality varies depending on the animal, not the sex of the animal.

LIL_WAYNE_4_PREZIDENT08
06-28-2008, 10:30 PM
wtf

No one gives a crap about your cat

Thunder
06-28-2008, 11:47 PM
Ain't my fault for not being a vet. LoL

I just know that males are more playful and affectionate than females.

My only bad experience with a female pet was a parakeet, she was odd, kept to herself, and kept distance from me. I got her as a companion for the male parakeet, and that boy was playful and loved my attention.

I had female hamsters before and they were great. I just do not know about female cats. I researched and found that most prefer male cats, cuz they are playful, laid back, and affectionate. I did find posts from people talking about personality, but it seem that a gender do have a role in determining a personality.

Right now, they both gets along just fine, but as Smokey gets older, I wonder how they will be. I was thinking one could be aggressive, but Fuzzy is fixed and Smokey will be too. I am not sure if Fuzzy understand the gender difference and what will happen, regardless of them being fixed.

Again, animals isn't the same as humans. Oh, this is male. This is female. People makes mistake. The lady thought she was a male until now when I found out and showed her.

Midtowner
06-29-2008, 12:40 AM
The lady thought she was a male until now when I found out and showed her.

How??

Never mind, I really don't want to know.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
06-29-2008, 01:48 AM
wtf

Well, aren't you a breath of fresh air.

Thunder, just take a page from John Cusack's book and tell everybody that you didn't check because you were respecting it's privacy.

Thunder
06-29-2008, 03:31 AM
You're right. I do not touch around their area. It is their privacy.

Intrepid
06-29-2008, 06:41 AM
Ain't my fault for not being a vet. LoL

I just know that males are more playful and affectionate than females.

My only bad experience with a female pet was a parakeet, she was odd, kept to herself, and kept distance from me. I got her as a companion for the male parakeet, and that boy was playful and loved my attention.

I had female hamsters before and they were great. I just do not know about female cats. I researched and found that most prefer male cats, cuz they are playful, laid back, and affectionate. I did find posts from people talking about personality, but it seem that a gender do have a role in determining a personality.

Right now, they both gets along just fine, but as Smokey gets older, I wonder how they will be. I was thinking one could be aggressive, but Fuzzy is fixed and Smokey will be too. I am not sure if Fuzzy understand the gender difference and what will happen, regardless of them being fixed.

Again, animals isn't the same as humans. Oh, this is male. This is female. People makes mistake. The lady thought she was a male until now when I found out and showed her.

Um....to reiterate what SweetDaisy said, the sex of animal doesn't dictate its personality. You can't compare the personaility/attitude of a different species to that of a cat!

I've had a male cat and currently have two female cats. They were/are equally playful and had/have great personalities, each distinct from the other. My male cat was an indoor/outdoor cat and was very loveable and playful. My two females are strictly indoor cats and both are just as loveable and playful in their own ways.

Whether it be male or female, you'll definitely want to make sure you get it fixed.

:tiphat:

Intrepid
06-29-2008, 06:44 AM
You're right. I do not touch around their area. It is their privacy.

Then you shouldn't be a pet owner. It's YOUR responsibility to check those things out. Do you expect the cat (or any other animal) to tell you? When that happens, let me know.

No one is asking you to fondle the cat.

:tiphat:

sweetdaisy
06-29-2008, 07:29 AM
Honestly Thunder, it really won't make a difference. Besides, once they're spayed/neutered, you actually have an "it" cat. :)

Also, sometimes male/female pairings can be better in some cases, as there won't be the "alpha male" wars.

I've had male cats, female cats, etc. and it really depends upon the personality of the cat, not it's sex. My female kitty is extremely affectionate...she doesn't play much anymore b/c she's about 11 years old, but she's very loving.

And since they're getting along so well right now, why would you upset the apple cart based on experience you've had with different species?

Midtowner
06-29-2008, 08:28 AM
Also, sometimes male/female pairings can be better in some cases, as there won't be the "alpha male" wars.

This is not necessarily true either :)

We finally had our alpha-cat wars decided last night. Our female had been chasing our "alpha" cat around slapping and making hideous noises. He got fed up with it last night and they had it out.

About a half Brita pitcher later (dumped on Alpha to confuse him long enough for me to pick him up and put him in 'time out'), the social hierarchy has forever been altered.

Karried
06-29-2008, 09:01 AM
About a half Brita pitcher later (dumped on Alpha to confuse him long enough for me to pick him up and put him in 'time out'), the social hierarchy has forever been altered.

lol, good idea. I wonder if this works on kids?

bandnerd
06-29-2008, 09:06 AM
The sex of the cat has nothing to do with personality. My god.

You took her in, it's your responsibility to care for the cat now, Thunder.

If you got a girl pregnant, thought she was going to have a boy, and then it turned out that the baby was a girl, would you post the baby on craigslist and try again? Pets = responsibility!

And you don't have to "touch" anything to see what sex they are. Just hold the kitten out in front of you. If there's junk, it's a boy. No junk, girl.

Midtowner
06-29-2008, 09:37 AM
lol, good idea. I wonder if this works on kids?

Let us know.

Karried
06-29-2008, 09:59 AM
ha. one thing about having a big span between children, the hierarchy has been on auto pilot since they were young. Mine are five years apart so big brother has always been the 'boss' but doesn't throw his weight around - they actually get along really well .. knock on wood.

But, I'll keep in mind that water trick just in case!

kevinpate
06-29-2008, 04:00 PM
doesn't matter if you knew the sex of the cat ... the cat won't forgive you anyway ... you're merely his/her/its bi-ped slave.

The whole notion that people have cats at pets is absurd, though I suspect the cats do occasionally snicker about the silliness of bi-peds.

FritterGirl
06-29-2008, 04:13 PM
Thunder,

I really don't know where you've been reading some of these things, but personality development in cats, as in dogs, is more a trait of their breed, and of course, the environment in which it is being raised. We have a male and female cat (mixed "domestic shorthair" and both from shelters), both ten years old, in addition to our 3 female dogs.

When the cats were kittens they were as playful as any kittens I've ever seen. Still are, to an extent. The female cat is about the friendliest cat I've ever met, and has never met a stranger.

Even folks who come to visit my house are astounded at what a friendly cat she is. She'd rather be in the company of people, greeting them all with confidence and a friendly meow, than be off by herself somewhere. In our household, it's the male cat who is aloof and stand-offish, although very sweet to those he knows well.

I'm not going to be like others and judge you for not knowing the kitten's sex ahead of time, but I will join those in admonishing you for wishing to get rid of the cat just because "she's a she." In another thread, I provided you with a web link to Best Friends of Shelter Pets OKC, where you can find low-cost spaying/neutering services. The service is provided through their SNAP program (Spay/Neuter Assistance Program). You can get her spayed for only $10. The web link is: Spay / Neuter Assistance Oklahoma (http://www.bestfriendsokc.org/spay_neuter_assistance.htm)

I know you have a vet that you like, but I'm certain your vet would not at all be offended if you took Smokey to the SNAP program for her spaying, if you qualify. Most vets are very well aware of the program and are happy to know it is being utilized.

I strongly suggest you get over what prejudice you think you might have about the sex of this cat, and do the right thing for this animal by contacting Best Friends, getting HER spayed, continuing to offer this cat (regardless of her sex) a loving, well-balanced home, since that was your intent in adopting this animal in the first place.

FritterGirl
06-29-2008, 04:20 PM
wtf

Seriously, Wayne. If you don't have something reasonable to add to the conversation, why bother posting. Some of us who are passionate advocates about animal welfare DOvery much care about Thunder's cat and what happens to it, as we care for just about any animal for that matter.

Thunder
06-29-2008, 08:23 PM
I am keeping her. I guess that I just didn't know what to do.

When I got Fuzzy, I got him along with his brother, Wuzzy. Mom kept saying that Wuzzy looked evil, because of the eyes and kept calling him evil. I got upset and told her to get rid of him out of frustration. That was just as I was going to work overnight. Afterwards, I felt bad and it was too late. So, I guess it was comforting knowing that I give back a brother to Fuzzy.

Now, I have Smokey and she is a female. I will respect that and continue to raise her. Already, she is my daughter and a sister to Fuzzy.

About that SNAP program. Are they safe? Why is the cost so low? Is there a catch? I am usually suspecting of whatever when it comes to "why is a price so lower than the usual". If you trust them and highly recommends that program, then how am I qualified for it? When should I get her fixed?

Thunder
06-29-2008, 08:38 PM
I just called Neel Vet and Dr. Rachael says the place is highly reputable and trusts them. I will go there. Thanks, Fritter, for helping me to save a bux. :)

FritterGirl
06-29-2008, 08:52 PM
Hi Thunder,

I recommend you go to the web link I provided in my response, above, and you can then find out about more about the SNAP program, and how you may be able to qualify.

I cannot judge your financial situation obviously, but given some of your past comments I would think you may be able to qualify.

sweetdaisy
06-30-2008, 12:05 PM
IAbout that SNAP program. Are they safe? Why is the cost so low? Is there a catch? I am usually suspecting of whatever when it comes to "why is a price so lower than the usual". If you trust them and highly recommends that program, then how am I qualified for it? When should I get her fixed?

Thunder, the reason the low-cost Spay/Neuter clinics exist is to encourage people of lower income to spay/neuter their pets. As you know, it can be somewhat pricey to have an animal "fixed", and when someone has a lower income, the animal can easily fall to the bottom of the list of priorities.

The low cost spay/neuter clinics that I know of are all reputable and high-quality. If I qualified, I would have no qualms about taking my pet(s) to them.

I hope it works out for you. Also, you may want to keep them in mind for vaccinations as well. Some have vaccination clinics where rabies vax, etc are only $5.

Good luck with Smokey!

Redskin 70
07-06-2008, 09:26 AM
Female cats are so cool also..................
Our bunny baby romps with the dogs just fine...............She doesn't mess with the ole tom though as he will box her ears.............She is fixed and very active........
You wont regret it for a minute..........just do it...........:tiphat:

Thunder
07-06-2008, 08:15 PM
I was just told that Smokey is a boy.

I know this is embarassment of mistaken identity.

I feel better again on giving back a brother to Fuzzy.

FritterGirl
07-06-2008, 08:20 PM
Truth be told, it's not that uncommon to not know the sexual identity of a kitten until they are about 3 months old. Male testes don't always drop at the same rate, and until they do, it's often hard to tell You're not the first person this has happened to, so don't fret about it.

Regardless of whether Smokey is a he or a she, you need to get him/her neutered and /or spayed. Please call Best Friends of Shelter Pets and consider the low-cost procedure, if you qualify.

Thunder
07-06-2008, 08:27 PM
Yes, FritterGirl, I will be calling them (been busy lately). Thanks for helping me on saving money.

Mom was here and we were watching the special edition of Extreme Makeover and the last 30 minutes, her friend came here, looking for her.

Well, she looked at Smokey and said... It's a boy! I said, no... It's a girl!

Well, here what she told me. Boys have 2 holes... Girls have 3 holes... She pointed out to me, only 2 holes. She also said girls are more flat in that area and Smokey has a bump.

After that, I pointed to the 6 spots on the tummy and said, that's a girl. She said, boys have that too. Okay, I felt really stupid. lol

Mom just sat there laughing. My face was red.

Boy, Girl, and now a Boy again. Regardless of gender, I was keeping him/her. lol

The other day, I was actually looking at girl things for Smokey! lol

Can you imagine me putting a dress on Smokey and he is actually a boy! haha

Karried
07-06-2008, 09:42 PM
Can you imagine me putting a dress on Smokey and he is actually a boy! haha

I can't imagine anyone putting clothing on a cat, boy or girl, without getting their eyes clawed out... you should have gotten a dog. Then you could have gotten a gender neutral sweater and everyone would be happy.

FritterGirl
07-07-2008, 01:46 PM
Awww. C'mon Karrie. Just check out these feline fashionistas:

Stuff On My Cat: Stuff + Cats = Awesome (http://www.stuffonmycat.com/index.php?catid=12&blogid=1)

Karried
07-07-2008, 02:07 PM
ha, ha.. and take a look at those eyes.. those are saying.. 'I'll kill you in your sleep' ..uh, uh, I'm not dressing a cat.

sweetdaisy
07-07-2008, 02:42 PM
By far, the best cat "outfit" has to be the Scuba cat:

HowStuffWorks Videos "HowStuffWorks SCUBA Cat Commercial" (http://videos.howstuffworks.com/howstuffworks/7605-howstuffworks-scuba-cat-commercial-video.htm)

Karried
07-08-2008, 09:14 AM
I can't believe they got that cat into that suit and the water.. wow....

Thunder
07-08-2008, 12:57 PM
Not all cats is the same. Karried, tell us about yours.

Karried
07-08-2008, 09:07 PM
My cat was with us for about 6 years and survived driving here from CA and lived for two blissful years in OK.. she loved to be outside and she loved to hunt. As much as I tried to keep her in, she wanted to be out. One day she just disappeared. She was a great cat and I miss her. I never had her wear a dress.

Thunder
07-08-2008, 09:44 PM
I don't like letting my animals roam free. Some people let their cats go anywhere outside, but I hate that. The only thought on my mind is...cars. That is the number one killer (I think) of roaming animals.

Way back, I remember mom was taking me for hearing test and a cat ran across the road. For sure, mom slowed down and I saw it was plenty of time for the cat to safely get across, but as she drove slowly, the cat was hit by the right tire. I think the cat had a death wish by standing and waiting for the tire. It was still alive, meowing, but mom didn't want to rush it to a vet, so later in the day, it was dead.

Karried
07-09-2008, 09:02 PM
So, I guess your hearing test was successful since you heard the meowing and all.

I live on acreage that backs to the creek and greenbelt .. cars aren't the problem. It's the owls, bobcats or critters that got to her.

sweetdaisy
07-09-2008, 09:29 PM
I hear the coyotes are pretty bold there in Edmond, too. Been told a few terrible stories about losing pets that way. :(

Personally, I prefer to keep kitties indoors only, but totally understand why people like the indoor/outdoor cat idea.

Thunder
07-09-2008, 09:54 PM
I wasn't deaf and not deaf now. It was just a routine hearing test and I'm not sure what it was for. Maybe a new hearing aid or it may been around that time the problem started that caused 2 major surgeries. Right now, I can't hear, mainly because I'm unable to properly wear a hearing aid, because of the bones in the canal causing the soundwave feedback, thus hearing aid whistling shriek.

You decided that an animal got your cat?

Karried
07-10-2008, 12:04 AM
I agree, this is a bad area. I've live here for over 2 years and being deaf, everything is fine so far. The only issue I had was a kid (or more than one) stole a blue bird that I had staked into a flower pot.

Of course, I was upset about that and mom bought me another one (green) and it remains indoor at all time. LoL

I guess it's hard to keep it straight sometimes.

Thunder
07-10-2008, 12:08 AM
It's easier to say deaf rather than explain all the details. Basically, I can't hear without the hearing aid, so it is best to just say deaf. If I say hard of hearing or hearing impaired, people would expect me to hear them enough and they go on yackin yackin yackin. It would be a miracle if I finally have some kinda surgery to get me hearin again, then I'd be glad to withdraw the deaf status.

Yeah, it is hard to keep the doctors' mind straight.

Karried
07-10-2008, 12:11 AM
ah, got it.

Thunder
07-10-2008, 12:06 PM
Years ago, during high school, the bone in the ear canal mysteriously grew and closed it up. At that time, I had ear infection and drainage from it. The doctor did not know the cause of it. First surgery to clear the canal was successful.

After college, I started having problem again and went to the doctor. Again, the bone was closing up the canal. He still do not know why, this specific area, the bone decides to close my ear canal. We had xray done, but it was several months before I was able to get back to him, because at that time, mom helped to watch a friend's kid before/after school. Finally, I saw him in a gift shop when I went with mom and brother to the doctor and I asked him to set up appointment for me. He did. I went back, we discussed and I kept wanting another surgery. He agreed. Before that, I asked to have another xray done, he said not needed. Well, during the 2nd surgery, he found the bone grew more and he did the best he could, because he fear of accidently harming the ear drum.

After that, he doesn't recommend another surgery. I told him, do another xray, more fancier, and CAT scan, plus MRI and everything to pinpoint locations and I'm willing to risk it. He said no, it would be best to just let it go, since he think I can still communicate thru hands, blah blah blah. He still does not recommend Cochlear Implant, BAHA device, or anything else.

This is the left ear I'm talking about.

There is a great chance to widen the right ear canal, but it has been so many years since I've used my right ear, cuz the hearing aid for it broke when I was lil and mom never did got a replacement. So, it would take months to retrain my hearing nerves in the right ear.

It is really depressing and stressful.

Further into details on the left ear, right now the bone pretty much closed up the ear canal, but sounds can still travel thru the bones just fine. I'll explain. lol The traditional behind-the-ear hearing aid, I can't wear that, because the motor is too close to the ear and the soundwave feedback bounce off the bones to the motor, causing it to whistle, which is unpleasant. After the 2nd surgery, he gave me a body aid (hearing aid) a box I put on my belt or pocket with cord inside the shirt up to the ear. He said that is best, since the motor is far from the ear. It worked fine for me for a short while, but it mysteriously just didn't work anymore. Maybe the mold is not enough fit or deep enough. The On (public) mode, which is used to hear the surroundings is not working for me, but there is one other thing that I can still use. I can still use the Telephone mode and that feature doesn't generate a feedback. So, I place the hearing aid (the box) next to any speakers (comp, tv, headphones, phone, etc) to listen to whatever. That is the only way I can hear perfect and clear. I'm still doing that to keep my hearing nerves active. I have a headphone with extention cord to the tv, so the headphone rests on my lap with the box next to it and I listen to the tv. Same for phone, comp speaker, and mp3 player.

Complicated? lol

I once brought my mp3 player to work, had it on the lowest volume possible, but someone complained that it was so loud, she can hear it from afar. Now, that is upsetting, so I have to work in silence while some others listen to their mp3. I only wanted to use it from 4am till 8am.

Windshieldsplatter
01-07-2009, 11:47 AM
I had a cat once that i didn't know was a girl till it was pumping out kittens. You can get coupons for cheap spayings if you look around.