View Full Version : Bank or credit union in Edmond

holterscolter
06-26-2008, 04:32 PM
Once we move to OKC (Edmond) we would like to get local checking/savings accounts. (We're moving from out of state) Any opinions on which banks or credit unions are the best? We prefer using credit unions b/c they seem to have less and/or lower fees etc.

Thanks!

hipsterdoofus
06-26-2008, 08:42 PM
I know a lot of people use Tinker- https://www.tinkerfcu.org. We just moved to Edmond and use Bank of Oklahoma...im not that picky about banks, just want them to be convenient and not charge me to get to use my money. I'm certainly not trying to make interest off of any of the local places...thats what my internet money market account is for...

Easy180
06-26-2008, 09:05 PM
Once we move to OKC (Edmond) we would like to get local checking/savings accounts. (We're moving from out of state) Any opinions on which banks or credit unions are the best? We prefer using credit unions b/c they seem to have less and/or lower fees etc.

Thanks!

Most banks offer free checking with direct deposit so I would go with the most convenient or if you do a lot of online banking Chase wins hands down...Their online banking blows away the locals

Karried
06-26-2008, 09:23 PM
Midfirst Bank treats us very well. But, we also use Weokie Credit Union.

kevinpate
06-27-2008, 04:54 AM
IBC purchased one bank I use a few years back. Multiple branches, though I tend to pop into only two, one in Norman and one in south OKC. Nice folks at both and nary an issue since they slapped their name on the wall.

There are two IBC locations in Edmond:

Edmond Santa Fe, 421 S Santa Fe, Edmond , OK 73003
Phone: (405) 775-8055, Fax: (405) 844-7052

Edmond Bryant, 1812 E. 15th, Edmond , OK 73013
Phone: (405) 775-8061, Fax: (405) 348-2654

hipsterdoofus
06-27-2008, 06:45 AM
Midfirst Bank treats us very well. But, we also use Weokie Credit Union.

I used to use midfirst and would give generally favorable reviews...one thing that ticked me off about them is that they charge you to use "free" atm's (like 7-11). The problem with that is, half the time I would try to use midfirst's ATM in front of their bank, and it would be empty!

oklanole
06-28-2008, 09:30 PM
I have used Weokie (www.weokie.org) for 10 years. I have no complaints.

Karried
06-28-2008, 11:17 PM
I would try to use midfirst's ATM in front of their bank, and it would be empty!

Now that you mention it, you're right about the ATMs.. the one at Penn and Memorial is always busted.. I rarely use cash and I didn't know they charged for 7-11? Really? that bugs me.

http://www.okctalk.com/images/vbe2blue/misc/progress.gif

Hollywood
07-02-2008, 12:52 PM
Hello, I have used Tinker Federal Credit Union exclusively and found them to be a great institution if you qualify for membership. There are several good options in Edmond in regards to banking so you should be fine if you check a few out. Welcome to the city and best of luck on the move.

buck
07-02-2008, 02:07 PM
When I used to live in Edmond I banked at Citizens Bank

jsibelius
08-11-2008, 06:16 PM
Hello, I have used Tinker Federal Credit Union exclusively and found them to be a great institution if you qualify for membership. There are several good options in Edmond in regards to banking so you should be fine if you check a few out. Welcome to the city and best of luck on the move.

Does Tinker have a location in Edmond?

When I used to live in Edmond I banked at Citizens Bank

I chose not to use Citizens Bank because of all the banks available in Edmond, they are the ONLY one that still has a charge just to have a debit card. I started out with Bank of Mexico *ahem* America. Within a couple of months, they had messed things up so badly they lost my business forever. I moved over to Chase and they've done very well. They did mess up once in grand fashion, but they fixed it in short order and things have been fine ever since.

If you're looking for credit unions, I know Weokie has a branch in Edmond. Can't vouch for them as a company, though. We were going to go with Oklahoma Fidelity Bank if Chase didn't have a whole bunch of reasons to give them our business (primarily the free online banking and free checking). Chase is also nice to have because they don't charge foreign ATM fees for something like the first 2 or 3 ATM transactions each month, maybe? But there are enough Chase locations around town that the only time that's important is when we travel.

Hollywood
08-11-2008, 11:10 PM
Does Tinker have a location in Edmond?

Yes, they have a branch on the northwest corner of Danforth and Kelly.

oneforone
08-11-2008, 11:23 PM
Most banks offer free checking with direct deposit so I would go with the most convenient or if you do a lot of online banking Chase wins hands down...Their online banking blows away the locals

Yeah Chase is great if you like being nickel and dimed with charges. They were great back in the Bank One days. Chase is the king of fees and surcharges.

BOK(Bank of Oklahoma) is the best in the metro in my opinion. You can use ATM's at 7-11 or QuikTrip in Tulsa. They have branches all over the metro and in several grocery stores. The customer service is awesome and you can talk to a banker by phone anytime day or night without the long waits on the phone.

jsibelius
08-12-2008, 02:31 PM
Yeah Chase is great if you like being nickel and dimed with charges. They were great back in the Bank One days. Chase is the king of fees and surcharges.

Except for our quickly-corrected snafu, I haven't been charged a nickel or a dime. And those charges were all reversed because they were caused by bank error. Like I said, Chase doesn't even charge us foreign ATM fees when we travel for the first 2 or 3 ATM transactions each month. As long as we're careful not to overdraft, no charges. Not even for account maintenance. Not even for online banking and bill pay. Wells Fargo doesn't even let me do online bill pay for free, and I've had an account with them for several decades. And I could really use online banking with them since they don't have any Oklahoma branches.

So I guess it depends on what your banking needs are as to whether the nickel-and-dime thing is a problem. It has not been a problem for me.

Easy180
08-12-2008, 08:51 PM

BOK(Bank of Oklahoma) is the best in the metro in my opinion. You can use ATM's at 7-11 or QuikTrip in Tulsa. They have branches all over the metro and in several grocery stores. The customer service is awesome and you can talk to a banker by phone anytime day or night without the long waits on the phone.

BOK's online product doesn't come close

All banks nickel and dime...Chase is no different...Just that the state banks let Chase charge it first...Let them take the heat and then turn around and charge the same after the *furor* over 5 bucks dies down

As a former banker I just never really got the whole "I shouldn't have to pay since you make money off my deposits"...My usual response (in my mind) was "Sir let me assure you we don't make any money off your 50 dollar average collected balance"

"Can I help the next person in line please?"

hipsterdoofus
08-13-2008, 07:46 AM
I just switched to BOK recently from Bank of America. I've been very happy with them so far, but will admit that I don't like their online banking as much as BOA's. I also don't care for how they do their statements. Its probably something I can live with though.

CG23
08-13-2008, 09:04 AM
I went with Chase, though I have to admit convenience was a big factor in this, since they are close to my house and work (plus my mortage is through them.) No complaints so far.

hipsterdoofus
08-13-2008, 12:19 PM
Yeah, I switched for convenience as well - I never had problems with bank of America, honestly, but they had a hard time understanding why I was switching - how about you put a location in west Edmond somewhere instead of putting them all on the east side?

jsibelius
08-13-2008, 02:25 PM
What?...that one on Memorial doesn't do it for you?

hipsterdoofus
08-14-2008, 07:15 AM
What?...that one on Memorial doesn't do it for you?

Heck no! I avoid Penn & Memorial like the plague...thats the problem with businesses that build over there, in my opinion - its not Edmond, but they figure if they build on the edge there, they can get both Edmond and OKC people, which they do...but unfortunately because of that, the west side of Edmond is lacking in a lot of areas.

khuelskamp
09-02-2008, 11:05 AM
RE: TFCU

They are also putting in a new Tinker Federal Credit Union just north of 33rd & Bryant on the East side of Edmond. I wish we could get a Midfirst bank in this area of town.

prerunner1982
10-08-2008, 04:54 PM
I use Allegiance FCU which has a location on Kelly between 15th and 33rd. I have been with them for 12 yrs and am very happy. They also have other locations around the metro and you can also access your account from the credit union service centers (Penn and Memorial).

Allegiance Credit Union (http://www.allegiancecu.com/)

warreng88
11-14-2008, 10:53 AM
Thought I would chime in since I am in the banking industry. I work at Quail Creek Bank on 122nd and May. I know it is not considered Edmond, but we have a lot of customers that live in Edmond and bank with us. This is the only location, but you will get personal service every time and we have a very competitive product. You are more than welcome to send me a private message and I can give you all the details so I don't waste everyone else's time.

EdmondBrad
11-14-2008, 12:53 PM
I agree with BOK

MadMonk
11-14-2008, 01:19 PM
I used to use midfirst and would give generally favorable reviews...one thing that ticked me off about them is that they charge you to use "free" atm's (like 7-11). The problem with that is, half the time I would try to use midfirst's ATM in front of their bank, and it would be empty!
That annoys me too. What banks don't charge for ATMs that aren't their own?

Edit

Nevermind, I guess I missed this :)

OKCitizen
11-18-2008, 09:55 AM
Bank: Midfirst
Credit: Tinker

amaesquire
11-18-2008, 09:57 AM
Bank: Bank of Oklahoma or First Fidelity
Credit Union: Tinker Federal