View Full Version : The Sonic Debacle... Anyone Boycotting Starbucks?

dismayed
06-24-2008, 09:43 PM
So the dude who is driving one of the lawsuits against the Super Sonics OKC owners is the founder of Starbucks and recently returned to run the company. Many speculate that the reason he sold the Sonics with apparently no qualms but then a few months ago grew a conscience was because he feared a Seattle boycott of Starbucks after returning to its helm.

So for you hard-core OKC Sonics fans, I was just wondering if any of you are skipping that cafe latte in the morning or if you are continuing to shop at Starbucks? I'm not necessarily advocating a boycott, I'm just wondering what your thoughts on the subject are.

Karried
06-24-2008, 09:56 PM
McDonald's Large Hazelnut Iced Coffee - $1.99

Sticking it to Starbuck's Founder - Priceless

'nuf said.

Midtowner
06-24-2008, 11:06 PM
The only Starbucks coffee I ever buy is the cheap stuff at the Law School's student lounge.

It's really terrible, but it does have caffeine.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
06-24-2008, 11:10 PM
Considering that Starbucks was just voted in the top 10 most poorly run companies in the US...I think that they've got bigger issues than a few Okies brewing their own.

Toadrax
06-24-2008, 11:42 PM
The first time that I went to a starbucks was my last time to go to a starbucks.

I wasn't in there long.. they said, "Sorry, we don't carry irish cream.." and I said, "Sorry, I thought I was in a coffee shop."

I can't boycott a store that I haven't spent a penny on.

Ginkasa
06-25-2008, 02:22 AM
The first time that I went to a starbucks was my last time to go to a starbucks.

I wasn't in there long.. they said, "Sorry, we don't carry irish cream.." and I said, "Sorry, I thought I was in a coffee shop."

I can't boycott a store that I haven't spent a penny on.

Did you really say that? To an employee who almost certainly has no control over what the company carries? Or to a manager who still probably doesn't really control what "his" store sells?

If so, did it make you feel good making someone feel bad about something they can't control? Did you enjoy ruining their day, or at least making it a little less bright? Was a comment card not sufficient? Could you not send your opinion to someone who actually matters (whether your opinion matters to them would be a different story)? Did you have to shove it in the face of some kid just trying to to earn a few?

kevinpate
06-25-2008, 04:45 AM
The one and only time I have spent money in an SB was to pick up a gift card for a son's high school friend as a b-day gift. It's not an SB boycott. I'm simply not inclined to drink much coffee and I have no need to overpay when I do partake.

Kerry
06-25-2008, 04:58 AM
My wife enjoys Starbucks and I have been know to drink the frapachinnos that you buy in the grocery store. I am usually not in to boycotts and unless you have a willing media to help you out (Jessie Jackson) they usually don't do any good. The Southern Baptist have been boycotting Disney for years and to no avail. Starbucks will probably crash and burn with or without me.

OKCMallen
06-25-2008, 07:32 AM
I get an iced chai latte from time to time, but we're talking MAYBE once a month. I don't feel like a traitor so much for that, although if I were a serious coffee drinker, I'd probably switch for a while.

CuatrodeMayo
06-25-2008, 07:37 AM
I don't buy Starbucks anyways...support your local coffee shop!

Karried
06-25-2008, 09:26 AM
To an employee who almost certainly has no control over what the company carries?

You would be surprised how many thousands of people vent and comment on a company through to the first available body they encounter. Trust me, I heard for 13 years how expensive, how slow, how busy, how frustrated, how upset etc etc etc... like I had any control whatsoever over the scheduling or cost of milk. Comes with the territory.

You learn to develop a defense mechanism and try to pretty much deal or ignore most of it with a smile.....

There were days when I'd go home in tears though ( I was 16 when I started) because you can only tell yourself so many times that it's not personal but after hours of abuse and bitchy people, it does get to you.

That's why each and every time I deal with a customer service clerk now, I try really hard to be overly nice.... I try to offset some of the crap they have to deal with.

Back to Starbucks, I just don't get it. I'm pretty frugal I guess, I can't see paying that much for a cup of coffee.

Jesseda
06-25-2008, 09:35 AM
I had a bad experience with the starbucks in moore, I do occasionaly buy from start bucks like maybe once a year, thre holiday gingerbread cap is really really good, I think I might get that the next time it comes out, I have nothing against starbucks, I think boycotts on coffee shops because of a basketball team is kinda funny, but hey all to there own.. have fun boycotting coffee shops While I try sending e-mails to my city and state about how bad our roads and bridges are and that they really need to drive down the roads i drive on and then call them okay, but hey thats also a pointless time wasteful thing.

bombermwc
06-25-2008, 09:55 AM
I read on the seattle times forum a while back where a Seattle fan stopped giving money to Feed the Children because its in OKC. What a crock of crap is that?

Toadrax
06-25-2008, 10:08 AM
Did you really say that? To an employee who almost certainly has no control over what the company carries?

Yes, she also found it funny.

Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with making a person feel bad for the reasons you listed.. It is just that most people that work for crappy companies do not take pride on those companies and would join in on slamming them if they wouldn't get fired for it.

Now if someone actually is proud to work at starbucks, I would have a field day with them.

KurtTGS
06-25-2008, 10:34 AM
I write all this from an objective viewpoint, that is a bit more informed than those who don't work for the company. I am by no means partial to Starbucks. I know very well their mistakes, as well as strong points. I never set out to defend them from all accusers. I know that they are not makers of the world's greatest beverages and whole bean coffee, but I do know that they are better than about 80% of the tons of independent shops I've been to in my lifetime, and have an amazing consistency in their stores from coast to coast. I know that Starbucks is responsible for turning a whole lot of people onto coffee in the first place, which in turn benefits independent shops. I only really comment on the company when I think people are being unfair.

-So let me say that as a longtime employee of Starbucks, and also an avid NBA fan here in OKC, I could care less about this Shultz lawsuit. It has NOTHING to do with this company. 99% of the Starbucks employees in this state have never even met/spoken to him. Boycotting (which about 5 people will actually do) will only harm the stores and employees themselves, not Shultz. It's just silly backwards ideals. "Hell, lets boycott it, that'll show him!" This is about as absurd as the rednecks that still call French Fries "Freedom Fries."

-And as for being "voted" as one of the top 10 worst run companies of 2008, I think you mean "arbitrarily decided as by a writer for MSN (http://blogs.moneycentral.msn.com/topstocks/archive/2008/06/23/the-ten-worst-managed-companies-in-america-sears-sun-starbucks-and-sprint.aspx?PageIndex=2)" instead of "voted." Don't be misleading.

-And thank you to Ginkasa for your great response to Toadrax. Just for the record, Starbucks had Irish Cream as a syrup selection all the way up until 2006 but cut it off, because it was the least ordered syrup we had. Next time fill out a comment card rather than taking out your aggression on an employee who had nothing to do with the subject. Plus, I wasn't aware that having a certain flavor of syrup validated a coffee shop. I could show you plenty of legit independent places around the US that have about 4 flavor options.

And as far as supporting independent coffee shops, please do so by all means. I go to the Red Cup for an iced double latte on my days off, and the americanos at CoCo Flow are pretty great as well. Sauced has great cold-brewed coffee. I would consider returning to Coffee Slingers if they would quit being rude to just about everyone I know who has been there that isn't friends with an employee. Chill out guys.

Toadrax
06-25-2008, 10:50 AM
Next time fill out a comment card rather than taking out your aggression on an employee who had nothing to do with the subject. Plus, I wasn't aware that having a certain flavor of syrup validated a coffee shop. I could show you plenty of legit independent places around the US that have about 4 flavor options..

If they don't have irish cream, they are not a real coffee shop.. closer to a donut shop.

Also, you are either really butthurt over some experience or incredibly presumptuous to assume I was 'taking out aggression'.

roci28
06-25-2008, 11:34 AM
Considering that Starbucks was just voted in the top 10 most poorly run companies in the US...I think that they've got bigger issues than a few Okies brewing their own.

Actually Starbucks...The company I work, for was voted again by Fortune magazine as one of the top 100 best companies to work for. Number 7 to be exact. Everyone is absolutley entitled to their opinion, but I am happy to work for a company that takes pride of its partners as well as takes VERY good care of them. Look at what we do to help out farmers in numerous countries around the world. So before people go making accusations, please do your homework, check out the website and look at the schools, hospitals and various things we have done to help coffee farmers in Central and South America, Africa and the Asian Pacific build to make thier lives better. Look at our water we sell, Ethos proceeds from every bottle sold go to helping childern have clean drinking water, something we take for granted. So some may think we are overpriced, maybe we are, maybe we are not, but some of that money goes for very good causes. Which I know seems few and far between in our society lately. I know I'll take 5 weeks vacation and 150% 401K match anyday of the week!!!

By the way, thanks for provoking my first post!!!

okiebadger
06-25-2008, 12:13 PM
If they don't have irish cream, they are not a real coffee shop.. closer to a donut shop.

Also, you are either really butthurt over some experience or incredibly presumptuous to assume I was 'taking out aggression'.

The word "butthurt" sounds pretty aggressive to me, to say nothing about "incredibly presumptuous."

OKCMallen
06-25-2008, 12:21 PM
Toadrax just likes pissing people off, methinks.

ThePlainsman
06-25-2008, 02:43 PM
I have to agree with SBUX employee on this one. I've been to all the local joints and he's right on the money about coffee slingers. Rude. And...folks it is just coffee. I'm pretty sure I can tell the difference.

SBUX is ALWAYS consistent. About the only thing that ever goes wrong is the occasional shot short. Now, that's annoying!

I have no love lost for the folks from Seattle that come on OKC boards whining. Or just whine in general about the Sonics. I'm def an NBA fan and will be looking forward to my season tix when it arrives in OKC (hopefully next year).

But as far as boycotting. Nah...it's for losers.

And Irish Creme has nothing to do with coffee. It was popularized by Baileys. That's good marketing. It has more to do with liquor. So next time you are in a liquor store than doesn't have Irish Creme, tell you thought you were in a liquor store.

BFizzy
06-25-2008, 03:07 PM
Shultz sold his NBA francise to Oklahoma investors during the time OKC was successfully supporting a temporary relocation of an NBA team. He knew there was a very good chance that the buyers would relocate the team to OKC and he still sold them the team.

Shouldn't we be praising him? Sure, he has a lawsuit against the new owners, but he knows he's not getting the team back. It's just PR.

I rarely drink Starbuck's, but I definitely won't boycott it.

DH405
06-25-2008, 04:25 PM
I wouldn't buy Starbuck's anyhow. It's all about the small locally-owned joints! My favorite in the metro is Cafe Bella down on 89th & Penn. If you're looking to boycott Starbuck's and you still need your fix, check it out!

Oh GAWD the Smell!
06-25-2008, 05:07 PM

On the flip side...If you need Irish cream in your coffee, you don't like coffee. :-P

flintysooner
06-25-2008, 05:22 PM
I really like Starbucks - to the point that I would just as soon not get coffee if I can't get it from Starbucks. All those people who work at the stores I patronize live here. Generally Starbucks is one of the few places I go where the employees act like they enjoy coming to work and are happy to see me - the customer. A lot of other places I actually feel like I am intruding. It makes me feel good when the Starbucks person writes my name on my cup without asking me who I am.

Also Starbucks buys a lot of local services and supplies and they pay their bills on time.

And they are involved in the community. The one on 19th Street in Moore has done a lot in our little area. In particular they raised some money for our nearby grade school. That's a whole lot more than a bunch of other retailers do.

I also respect a company that actually provides benefits for a significant number of employees, too.

They aren't perfect by any means but Starbucks has a whole lot more good things than bad.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
06-25-2008, 05:43 PM
But flinty....IT'S AN EVIL CHAIIIIIIIIIIIIIN STORE!

soonerguru
06-25-2008, 06:18 PM
Starbucks Coffee is overrated anyway (although the Pike's Peak roast is decent). It's better than Java Dave's, but that's about all I can say about it. That being said, do they put crack in it, because I know people who seem to be physically addicted to it?

Oh GAWD the Smell!
06-25-2008, 06:38 PM
Well, as difficult as it sometimes seems to just walk in there and get a "coffee, black", when I DO get that...It's always very good.

Caramel Macchiatos are all that and a bag of chips too. Too bad they're so dang bad for you

soonerguru
06-25-2008, 06:55 PM
As far as OKC goes, I can honestly say the best cup I've had was at Coffee Slingers. And, while I found them somewhat indifferent, I have not encountered the rudeness people discuss here (although they have seemed a bit cooler than thou).

But, they were efficient in handing me my cup o' joe, taking my moolah and getting out of the way.

What kind of rudeness are people talking about? How was the rudeness manifested?

KurtTGS
06-26-2008, 09:07 AM
I will agree with the statement that if you need Irish Cream in your coffee then you don't actually like coffee.

As far as Pike's Place Roast being so good, that's because the stores get it shipped faster from the roasting plant than the other coffees we carry, so it's very fresh (for Starbucks standards.) Plus, it has a fair price if you by it by the pound ($10)

And as far as having trouble getting black coffee sometimes, I'm assuming you are referring to having to wait for it to brew. Thats because stores generally quit brewing every 30 minutes after 12pm, and brew on demand only, though some stores brew until 2 or 3, depending on their drip coffee sales. I personally think that waiting 3 minutes for a fresh brewed cup of coffee isn't such a bad thing, and there is always the option of an americano instead, which can be made in about 1 minute.

And yes, the amazing benefits one receives as an employee are outstanding. High percentage 401k matches, yearly stock grants, discount stock purchases available, health, dental, Rx, and eye insurance that covers extremely well and costs about $30 a month total, yet only requires one to work 20 hours a week to maintain coverage, random bonuses, tuition reimbursement, adoption financial assistance, leaves of absence, flexible vacation hours usage, an emergency fund employees can apply for a grant in times of trouble, and the small stuff like free pounds of coffee every week, discounts at tons of other merchants, employee specials from companies like Apple, Sprint, etc., free beverages, and a generous employee discount. You can even have your paycheck fronted to you if you need be.

And of course, the year round community involvement.

Oh, and the following things can get you treated rudely at Coffee Slingers: being recognized as a Starbucks employee, curiously asking if they have any other sizes, ordering a drink wrong by their standards, using Starbucks terminology (that's actually 95% not exclusive to Starbucks) politely asking them to remake your double shot espresso because you think the shots were pulled too bitter (and they scoff and assume you just don't know what it should taste like), oh, and being age 16-28 sets you off on the wrong foot as well. I will once again state my disclaimer that I do like Coffee Slingers and wish it to be successful (I love the fact that they only have one size, and only do french press for their coffee), I could just do without the attitude I believe is fostered and encouraged there. I personally know about 15 people who agree with me.

I really hope I don't have to comment anymore in this thread.

jbrown84
06-26-2008, 05:15 PM
The Southern Baptist have been boycotting Disney for years and to no avail.

The SBC called off that boycott years ago...

hipsterdoofus
06-26-2008, 08:39 PM
Hmm buy an overpriced coffee....or a gallon of gas...

edcrunk
06-26-2008, 10:17 PM
so i had no idea kerry was a dude... until he posted something about his wife loving starbux. so i quoted him saying that twice and said "i had no idea you weren't a chick and how i felt a little dumb" and twice now the post has dissapeared.

the first time it dissapeared i thought maybe i was losing it or something.

i had no idea that was offensive in the least bit.

i haven't received a peep from a moderator or anything.

what gives?

Toadrax
06-26-2008, 10:29 PM
On the flip side...If you need Irish cream in your coffee, you don't like coffee. :-P

You always win threads. :)

(It is true, I hate coffee. I NEED something to make it taste good.)

Oh GAWD the Smell!
06-27-2008, 09:04 AM
You always win threads. :)

(It is true, I hate coffee. I NEED something to make it taste good.)

lol...I always tell the g/f that she doesn't like coffee. She loads it down with creamer and a ton of sugar to the point where it more closely resembles hot chocolate rather than coffee.

lpecan
06-27-2008, 02:03 PM
Oh, and the following things can get you treated rudely at Coffee Slingers: being recognized as a Starbucks employee, curiously asking if they have any other sizes, ordering a drink wrong by their standards, using Starbucks terminology (that's actually 95% not exclusive to Starbucks) politely asking them to remake your double shot espresso because you think the shots were pulled too bitter (and they scoff and assume you just don't know what it should taste like), oh, and being age 16-28 sets you off on the wrong foot as well. I will once again state my disclaimer that I do like Coffee Slingers and wish it to be successful (I love the fact that they only have one size, and only do french press for their coffee), I could just do without the attitude I believe is fostered and encouraged there. I personally know about 15 people who agree with me.

I really hope I don't have to comment anymore in this thread.

While I certainly don't want to excuse if you were treated rudely, I'd counter that I and everyone I know love Coffee Slingers and have never felt like we've been treated rudely. I'd doubt your SBux employee argument is true, since one of the four baristas' las job was as a manager at Starbucks. Also, and please don't take this the wrong way, but do you like the espresso at starbucks? While I don't doubt its possible your shot was bitter, If you want your shot to be more like a Starbucks shot there is pretty much no way they could do that given their setup.

Most of their business is 20-somethings anyway, so I just disagree with you.

KurtTGS
06-27-2008, 11:32 PM
While I certainly don't want to excuse if you were treated rudely, I'd counter that I and everyone I know love Coffee Slingers and have never felt like we've been treated rudely. I'd doubt your SBux employee argument is true, since one of the four baristas' las job was as a manager at Starbucks. Also, and please don't take this the wrong way, but do you like the espresso at starbucks? While I don't doubt its possible your shot was bitter, If you want your shot to be more like a Starbucks shot there is pretty much no way they could do that given their setup.

Most of their business is 20-somethings anyway, so I just disagree with you.

Starbucks espresso shots are decent and consistent, but not the best. I mean, it is an automated machine after all, with the only available adjustment being the grind. I'm not a fan, but it is necessary for the workload and speed.

When I had my shots remade at CS, they were much better the second time. Again, it wasn't the fact that they had to remake it, it was the attitude I got after I asked. Looks like you missed the point of what I was saying. Please read that part in my original post again.

Oh and uh, the SBUX employee story is true, sorry. I witnessed it. It wasn't that big of a deal, but there was definitely a "nose in the air" feel to the situation.

Anyways, whatever. Over it, and done. I'll give them a few more chances. Like I said, I want them to be successful, but I want a little less attitude in my latte.

...That sounded way too cheesy.

flintysooner
06-28-2008, 04:07 AM
I think it is difficult to understand and I admit that I am surprised by it myself. I am generally not a fan of things, especially stores.

But I like Starbucks. I like coffee okay but don't really have to have it. Usually I just get black coffee with a shot or two. I like to try different ones. I like Starbucks coffee. I've never been to slingers so I don't know about them. I dislike Java Dave's. There's a little place in Moore I used to enjoy but that was before Starbucks.

I like going to Starbucks. It's familiar to me and adds a bit of pleasure to my day when I stop in. If I'm early I might sit inside and read. I might sit on the patio if there are no smokers out there.

I can understand others not liking Starbucks. I don't have a problem with it. I'm not trying to convert anyone.

betts
06-28-2008, 06:18 AM
I still go because I like the people who work there, and I figure that without us, they would not have jobs. Were Schultz's lawsuit to succeed, I would probably not be able to buy their coffee anymore. But, I've got a big group of people I have coffee with every morning, and it's as much about spending time with them as it is drinking coffee.

alan
06-28-2008, 08:04 AM
I don't do boycotts.

I'm glad starbucks is in okc, they helped spread coffee culture here. They are good at what they do.

I just don't shop there because I own a coffee shop and my products are better. : cheesie grin :

OKCTalker
07-01-2008, 02:43 PM
I don't know if this will make it easier or harder to boycott Starbucks, but they just announced the closing of 600 locations in the U.S. Better hurry if you want to boycott one of the underperforming stores!

ilog
07-07-2008, 08:33 PM
I stopped going to starbucks a long time ago anyway. Dunkin has much better coffee and it's cheaper.