View Full Version : North OKC Highway Interchange Questions

Richard at Remax
06-24-2008, 10:25 AM
I noticed some design flaws of some of our highway interchanges and was wondering if anyone had the answers.

The first one is if you are going south on Broadway extention there is not a exit/flyover lane that takes you east on the Kilpatrick. You would have to keep going south to 122nd and basically take a U-turn. get back on the extention and take the eastbound exit going north. Why?

Second is the kilpatrick and hefner parkway interchange. I can understand no flyovers that lead north onto portland. But if you are going north on the parkway and want to go west on the turnpike, you have to get off and go through multiple stoplights. Also if you are going west on the turnpike and want to go south on hefner parkway, you have to get off and go through lights. Why?

Was it a lack of funding or just poor design? Because I can imagine people have to do that everyday and it irritates them. Espeically with memorial booming you would think they would fix something that simple.

OKCDrummer77
06-24-2008, 10:48 AM
Originally, the Kilpatrick ended at LHP/Portland, so there was no need for a westbound flyover. Either it wasn't originally intended to go as far as it does today, or they were too short-sighted to design that interchange with future growth in mind.

Kerry
06-24-2008, 10:58 AM
My guess is bad design but since it is toll road it doesn't have to follow typical Interstate design standards and might have to follow publicly unknow "limited access" requirments.

metro
06-24-2008, 11:03 AM
worthy cook
Participating Member Join Date: Apr 2008
Total Posts: 28

North OKC Highway Interchange Questions

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I noticed some design flaws of some of our highway interchanges and was wondering if anyone had the answers.

The first one is if you are going south on Broadway extention there is not a exit/flyover lane that takes you east on the Kilpatrick. You would have to keep going south to 122nd and basically take a U-turn. get back on the extention and take the eastbound exit going north. Why?

You mean northbound on Broadway. Going southbound, there is a dedicated lane that forks west onto Kilpatrick. No need for a flyover. Soon after getting onto the turnpike is the Western Ave. tollbooth.

OKCTalker
06-24-2008, 11:09 AM
The Broadway-South-to-Kilpatrick-East and Kilpatrick-West-to-Parkway-North were built without - respectively - onramps and offramps because early traffic loads didn't justify those components of the interchanges, and that easy alternatives were present using existing Memorial Road. When Kilpatrick was opened, short-sighted people either laughed at the emptiness of it, or were outraged that a toll was being charged to use it (instead of driving on Memorial Road without a toll). Note to OKCDrummer: I was there when the turnpike was planned and built, from right-of-way purchases to dedication, and the OTA was consistently criticized for planning TOO FAR into the future, but never for being too short-sighted. Compare OKC's turnpikes with public highways (44, 40, 240, 35 and 235) in terms of design, function, maintenance and upkeep, and you'll see the proof.

OKCTalker
06-24-2008, 11:10 AM
You mean northbound on Broadway. Going southbound, there is a dedicated lane that forks west onto Kilpatrick.

Nope - The OP had it right.

JWil
06-24-2008, 11:59 AM

Yup, he did. But I can see why there's not one there and it's not that big of a deal. After all, if you're coming from Edmond it's just as easy to get on Kilpatrick East at Boulevard/Eastern. So, no big deal there.

My big beef is with the other mentioned. I totally understand why there aren't flyovers/interchanges at LFH North/Kilpatrick West or Kilpatrick East/LHF South. After all, the new part of the pike isn't all that old and the turnpike just ended at Hefner Parkway up until like 2002. And, after it opened, there wasn't a crush of people going west on Memorial so it wasn't such a big deal.

But now? There absolutely needs to be connections there. Trying to get on Kilpatrick West is annoying because of the three lights you need to get through. A flyover there is definitely needed, especially with the booming growth up there now. As for the other one? Man, that deal now is just DANGEROUS. I can't tell you the people I've seen coming off the Kilpatrick but wanting to get on LHP have to make a danger three-lane cutover just to get on LHP. Heck, I've done it (and I hate cutting lanes). That one before any other needs to happen. And hey, there's plenty of land there where you can just put in a small bridge that connects with the flyover connecting Kilpatrick E/LHP S and just have them merge together before hitting that exit only lane. They definitely need to think about both, but especially that one first.

CuatrodeMayo
06-24-2008, 12:01 PM
He did. Just went throught that silliness.

mburlison
06-24-2008, 10:03 PM
Basically its money. On the other hand, I think the use of it (Kilpatrick) is much more than anticipated, so hopefully they'll come back and remedy some of those flaws.

dismayed
06-24-2008, 10:04 PM
Originally, the Kilpatrick ended at LHP/Portland, so there was no need for a westbound flyover. Either it wasn't originally intended to go as far as it does today, or they were too short-sighted to design that interchange with future growth in mind.

Oklahoma government... short-sighted? Say it isn't so!

OKCisOK4me
06-25-2008, 12:05 AM

Second is the kilpatrick and hefner parkway interchange. I can understand no flyovers that lead north onto portland. But if you are going north on the parkway and want to go west on the turnpike, you have to get off and go through multiple stoplights. Also if you are going west on the turnpike and want to go south on hefner parkway, you have to get off and go through lights. Why?

Was it a lack of funding or just poor design? Because I can imagine people have to do that everyday and it irritates them. Espeically with memorial booming you would think they would fix something that simple.

First off--and few of you took note--he's talking about going east not west. And yes to go east on the Kilpatrick if you're traveling south on Broadway you would have to pull a U-ee, which I believe there were actually signs at one time instructing drivers to do so! My stepdad worked for a company called Sewell Construction for that part of the Kilpatrick when it was built. I remember going on the weekends and riding on the bulldozer with him while he cleared the land for dirt work. I just think that at the time, no one had for seen a need for that southbound to eastbound ramp! It would definitely be handy.

Second, just plain short sightedness! Yes, it was originally planned for the Kilpatrick to connect with Hefner Parkway but the right of way had been cleared long ago and shown on old state issued maps that it was going to go through. They need to construct the flyovers within the next 5 years because that side of OKC is blowing up big time! And technically with them widening 74 all the way to Waterloo Rd. they should go ahead and make a full interchange of it before all is said and done (look to Texas, please, ODOT).

traxx
06-25-2008, 08:18 AM
Basically its money. On the other hand, I think the use of it (Kilpatrick) is much more than anticipated, so hopefully they'll come back and remedy some of those flaws.

Actually it's just now in the past few years getting the traffic it needs. When it was first built you could sit in the middle of the road and tan yourself and not have to worry about being hit. I remember there was much uproar that the pike wasn't needed and a waste because no one was using it.

hipsterdoofus
06-25-2008, 08:37 AM
What they should really do is just make Memorial a service road and open up the turnpike as like I-244 or something.....not that that would ever happen.

CuatrodeMayo
06-25-2008, 09:21 AM
What difference would that make?

OKCTalker
06-25-2008, 09:25 AM
What they should really do is just make Memorial a service road and open up the turnpike as like I-244 or something.....not that that would ever happen.

Do you mean "open up" as in "stop charging tolls?" Won't happen because the OTA bondholders wouldn't get paid, and ODOT doesn't have the money to either "buy it" from the OTA, nor pay to maintain or patrol it. Most people don't know that the OHP is paid by the OTA (not taxpayers) to patrol turnpikes, everything from their cars to gasoline to salaries.

CuatrodeMayo
06-25-2008, 09:26 AM
Most people don't know that the OHP is paid by the OTA (not taxpayers) to patrol turnpikes, everything from their cars to gasoline to salaries.

That explains alot.

hipsterdoofus
06-25-2008, 11:51 AM
Do you mean "open up" as in "stop charging tolls?" Won't happen because the OTA bondholders wouldn't get paid, and ODOT doesn't have the money to either "buy it" from the OTA, nor pay to maintain or patrol it. Most people don't know that the OHP is paid by the OTA (not taxpayers) to patrol turnpikes, everything from their cars to gasoline to salaries.

Well I said it would never happen...probably because it makes to much sense as far as looping around the city...and we wouldn't want to do anything that would make that kinda crazy sense!