View Full Version : Chesapeake/New Construction, etc.

KurtTGS
06-23-2008, 07:30 PM
I came across this article today: Chesapeake to rebuild Nichols Plaza, add offices, housing (http://www.tradingmarkets.com/.site/news/Stock%20News/1665525/)

There is a quote in here that made me shake my head:

""We grow by 200 employees a year on our campus. We don't know what direction our campus may need to grow. We may need to grow east, we may need to grow west."

Why not grow "up" for goodness' sake? I'm getting a little weary of Chesapeake taking over Western Ave. Take a cue from Devon and relocate downtown, and build a skyskraper. It's probably too late though, can you imagine them vacating all those buildings they have just finished/are about to finish?

Also, what's up with all the groundbreaking going on around the Grand/Classen area west of Western? I've heard some rumors, but I do not want to get my hopes up at all.

downtown20
06-23-2008, 11:07 PM
I've considered the idea of Chesapeake moving downtown as well... what could be done with the existing campus? From going by the area a few times I've imagined that campus will someday house a new University... just a strange feeling I've had. It looks like a college campus to me and that would be an ideal solution to relocating Chesapeake to a more sensible downtown office tower. I know it's all silly thoughts in my own head, but imagine an Oklahoma version of M.I.T. there... some great new school! (O.I.T.) Again... just my imagination!

JWil
06-23-2008, 11:26 PM
Uh guys... the Peake isn't leaving that campus. This setup (the campus setup) is a dream of McClendon's and he has no plans of leaving that. I wish he woulda built up too... but that's his thing. I have a friend who jetsets with Aubrey and that campus is his baby.

If they grow again... I hope east, because there's a lot of crap that direction anyway.

And oh, if something every happened to the Peake... I think OSU-OKC should relocate there since its the same basic architecture as the main OSU.

And oh... they're wanting to build up Nichols Hills Plaza so much it makes Utica Square look like a corner strip mall. That area will be fantastic one day.

Spartan
06-24-2008, 02:04 AM
Chesapeake's involvement on North Western is a very good thing.

mmonroe
06-24-2008, 04:16 AM
I Want Another Skyscraper To Look At!!!

Toadrax
06-24-2008, 07:06 AM
They should expand north, an entire mile.

They really should.

metro
06-24-2008, 07:49 AM
http://www.okctalk.com/okc-metro-area-talk/13061-classen-curve.html?highlight=classen+curve

http://www.okctalk.com/okc-metro-area-talk/8210-chesapeake-empire-marches-12.html?highlight=classen+curve

mmonroe
06-24-2008, 07:56 AM
HEY! Someone Edited My Post!

edcrunk
06-24-2008, 01:32 PM
I came across this article today: Chesapeake to rebuild Nichols Plaza, add offices, housing (http://www.tradingmarkets.com/.site/news/Stock%20News/1665525/)

Why not grow "up" for goodness' sake? I'm getting a little weary of Chesapeake taking over Western Ave. Take a cue from Devon and relocate downtown, and build a skyskraper. It's probably too late though, can you imagine them vacating all those buildings they have just finished/are about to finish

he doesn't want to grow up because he likes being on the same level as his employees. which i think is noble. he's not the top floor of a skyscraper type of boss. so just like bobby brown and britney spears... that's his prerogative.

as far as vacating those buildings... i've heard oil men who work downtown say that aubrey is going to move to ft. worth to avoid our state income tax and turn the current campus into a college.

probably just a rumor tho...

OU Adonis
06-24-2008, 03:52 PM
No way Aubrey leaves the state unless he is bought out.

OKCMallen
06-24-2008, 03:56 PM
Aubrey has more money than he can ever spend. While it's possible he leaves, I think he's here to stay. Why would you give away so much money to build up this area if you were always thinking about leaving?

wsucougz
06-24-2008, 04:13 PM
I like the campus. In my mind it's the anchor of the northern edge of the innercity and the coming retail and residential developments will bolster that.