View Full Version : Starbucks at St. Anthony's hospital

metro
06-21-2008, 10:07 PM
I was driving to Bicycle Alley today and noticed a new Starbucks downtown. It's on the back (south) side of the new St. Anthony's Physicians building that just got built. It has a street facing (9th) patio and sign. I'll try and take pics soon. Should help add to the streetlife and options with the nearby Walker Ave/Plaza Court district.

centaurian
06-23-2008, 02:39 PM
Oh yea thats exactly what i want my Dr to be on when he does surgery, a triple expresso, hands shaking tweeking out from caffiene overdose.
but the psych ward is just over across the street lol

yadillah nai
06-23-2008, 05:23 PM
Starbucks has good bathrooms, terrible coffee, good newspapers....Go to Coffee Slingers......Brown's Bakery........ Big Sky blackberry scones. Prairie Thunder makes a good sourdough if I remember right....the little Guatemalan restaurant across from Homeland on Classen is prettydern good too...Tokyo Sushi rocks the spot...I love them...they have sashimi masters at work there...Really fresh fish...

Quit soda and drink Arabica coffees from small batch intensive roasters...If you can't serve it within 15 days from roast it starts to stale and taste flat...the sugar and milk wars we fight with quality coffees as the antidote. when you drink an espresso or americano with out sugar or milk you shoud be flooded with the living moods of the shifting,orbiting delicium and accompanying happiness. Try a naked double shot once in a while acoustically pulled by a professional no matter how you drink your coffee to get a basis in what the freshly roasted ground substance infused with clean water at it's ideal temperature should taste like...I drink espressos americanos...coffees sometimes I liike milk sometimes not...a little sugar once in awhile...Coffee Slingers pull a profound product ..no doubt necessary luxuries, you know....

Midtowner
06-23-2008, 05:26 PM
That last paragraph sounds like it was lifted straight out of marketing materials for a coffee shop.

Good stuff. Good writing.

I am a better person for having read that last post.

Midtowner
06-23-2008, 05:27 PM
Oh yea thats exactly what i want my Dr to be on when he does surgery, a triple expresso, hands shaking tweeking out from caffiene overdose.
but the psych ward is just over across the street lol

Better than him (or her) being too tired to operate and accidentally leaving implements behind when he closes you up :)

solitude
06-23-2008, 11:21 PM
Better than him (or her) being too tired to operate and accidentally leaving implements behind when he closes you up :)

You're right. And, it's a helluva lot better than what happened to us. My mother had emergency brain surgery at Baptist Hospital (when her cancer was found) and the doctor came out to talk to us - drunk. I'm not kidding, he was giddy, silly, had a strong odor of alcohol on his breath and it was OBVIOUS to the five of us. We were furious. And the worst part? None of the staff inside the surgery area was willing to talk about what they observed, smelled, etc. The closest anybody came to admitting what happened was a nurse who said as she passed by (under her breath), "It happens all the time with that slime." She later denied saying it. Later, I realized I should have had him detained by the police w/ probable cause as a public drunk (a simple misdemeanor) and got his condition on the record and taken action from there. But with Mom having cancer - I wasn't thinking clearly. And by the way, his "diagnosis" was wrong as to the type of cancer. The next surgeon that saw her and operated said the type of tumor was easily identifiable. It's hell to break through the wall of silence inside a hospital.

metro
07-01-2008, 07:17 AM
Starbucks opens inside St. Anthony
Journal Record
July 1, 2008

OKLAHOMA CITY – The java in the gift shop was so popular that the hospital had only one choice. It was time to go into the coffee business.

A Starbucks opened Monday inside St. Anthony Hospital in Midtown. Sheradee Hurst, spokeswoman for St. Anthony, said the hospital previously offered Starbucks coffee at a counter in the hospital gift shop, which was often overwhelmed by customers. She said the new store will reduce the crowds in the gift shop and offer hospital staff and patrons a more relaxing atmosphere.

Michael Bickle, retail manager for hospital food-service provider Sodexo, said a Starbucks in a hospital is a first in this region.“It’s really a new thing to have a fully licensed Starbucks in a hospital,” he said. “You don’t feel like you’re in a hospital.”

The coffeehouse is owned by the hospital, but has the look, feel, and menu of any stand-alone, company-owned Starbucks. It will be managed and operated by Sodexo.

“We make a habit of reaffirming that St. Anthony believes in the business and people of Midtown,” said Joe Hodges, president of St. Anthony Hospital. “This new, convenient Starbucks is for our community, our visitors, our patients, and our employees to enjoy. It’s one of many exciting, progressive moves for us.”

Sodexo took over food service at the hospital in 1999. Since then it has added environmental services, transportation, a service response center, and a concierge service.

The Starbucks, in a new addition called Saints Medical Plaza, at 535 NW Ninth St., occupies about 1,200 square feet and has a patio on the south side. Bickle said the shop has 15 employees who have all completed Starbucks’ mandatory training program.“There are all kinds of beverages besides coffee,” he said. “There’s decaf, juice-based drinks, and items like organic milks and juices.”

solitude
07-01-2008, 08:52 PM
Starbucks opens inside St. Anthony
Journal Record
July 1, 2008

OKLAHOMA CITY – The java in the gift shop was so popular that the hospital had only one choice. It was time to go into the coffee business.

A Starbucks opened Monday inside St. Anthony Hospital in Midtown. Sheradee Hurst, spokeswoman for St. Anthony, said the hospital previously offered Starbucks coffee at a counter in the hospital gift shop, which was often overwhelmed by customers. She said the new store will reduce the crowds in the gift shop and offer hospital staff and patrons a more relaxing atmosphere.

Michael Bickle, retail manager for hospital food-service provider Sodexo, said a Starbucks in a hospital is a first in this region.“It’s really a new thing to have a fully licensed Starbucks in a hospital,” he said. “You don’t feel like you’re in a hospital.”

The coffeehouse is owned by the hospital, but has the look, feel, and menu of any stand-alone, company-owned Starbucks. It will be managed and operated by Sodexo.

“We make a habit of reaffirming that St. Anthony believes in the business and people of Midtown,” said Joe Hodges, president of St. Anthony Hospital. “This new, convenient Starbucks is for our community, our visitors, our patients, and our employees to enjoy. It’s one of many exciting, progressive moves for us.”

Sodexo took over food service at the hospital in 1999. Since then it has added environmental services, transportation, a service response center, and a concierge service.

The Starbucks, in a new addition called Saints Medical Plaza, at 535 NW Ninth St., occupies about 1,200 square feet and has a patio on the south side. Bickle said the shop has 15 employees who have all completed Starbucks’ mandatory training program.“There are all kinds of beverages besides coffee,” he said. “There’s decaf, juice-based drinks, and items like organic milks and juices.”

And on the same day, Starbucks announces they're closing 600 locations.

NikonNurse
07-01-2008, 08:55 PM
The starbucks stores that are closing will be the stand alone stores I believe.

alan
07-02-2008, 05:58 AM
The starbucks stores that are closing will be the stand alone stores I believe.

That would be my guess also. I pretty sure their business model for the future is the 2-or-3 retailer strip centers. Usually with a cell phone store next door.

I would imagine the store on 122nd and Penn would be one of the first to go. But that is just a wild guess.

traxx
07-02-2008, 07:35 AM
You're right. And, it's a helluva lot better than what happened to us. My mother had emergency brain surgery at Baptist Hospital (when her cancer was found) and the doctor came out to talk to us - drunk. I'm not kidding, he was giddy, silly, had a strong odor of alcohol on his breath and it was OBVIOUS to the five of us. We were furious. And the worst part? None of the staff inside the surgery area was willing to talk about what they observed, smelled, etc. The closest anybody came to admitting what happened was a nurse who said as she passed by (under her breath), "It happens all the time with that slime." She later denied saying it. Later, I realized I should have had him detained by the police w/ probable cause as a public drunk (a simple misdemeanor) and got his condition on the record and taken action from there. But with Mom having cancer - I wasn't thinking clearly. And by the way, his "diagnosis" was wrong as to the type of cancer. The next surgeon that saw her and operated said the type of tumor was easily identifiable. It's hell to break through the wall of silence inside a hospital.

Baptist has been horrible since Integris took over. My wife had our first two kids at Deaconess and had no problems. Everyone was nice, professional and well trained not to mention the facilities were clean. Her OB/GYN retired and her new one is at Baptist/Integris so she had our last two kids there and each time was horrible not to mention she came out of the hospital with an infection both times. Our problems there are waaaaaaaaay too numerous to name here. Suffice it to say that I told here that if anything ever happens to me and she has me taken there that I'd know she was wanting my life insurance money. We had a good laugh about that.