View Full Version : Time to build a big hotel instead of piecemealing.

Laramie
06-21-2008, 12:03 PM
What are your views(?):

The City should be shooting at getting a big hotel, something like Double-Tree, maybe 30-40 stories with 700 to 1,000 rooms.

What happened to the plans to expand the Sheraton Century Center to 30 stories?

This (Sheraton Century Center) was to be developed in the late 80's or early 90's as I recall. I remember seeing this skyscraper in the Daily Oklahoman.

Midtowner
06-21-2008, 01:05 PM
The Century Center is that crappy mall-looking thing North of the Myriad.

I guess the skyscraper never happened.

I actually think the Myriad (sorry.. Cox Center) has probably hurt us in being able to attract one of these large convention hotels.

But yeah, I think we can all agree it'd be nice.

Anyone have a billion or so burning a hole in their pocket so we can get started?

sroberts24
06-23-2008, 06:26 AM
i'm sure when we build the new convention center we will get a 20+ story hotel like we see in all the C2S renderings

Steve
06-23-2008, 06:37 AM
Laramie, where are you getting that history on Century Center? It's the first I've heard of any such expansion plan, even back in the earliest days, and I've been familiar with this property for a very long time.
Not doubting you, just wanting more info... I'm very interested.
-Steve

David Pollard
06-23-2008, 01:59 PM
Actually, If Sheraton (or owners of Century City) had any sense (and capital) at all, they would demolish that disgrace of a parking garage and build a huge 25 story expansion to their existing property. Placing most of the parking underground should take care of the lost spaces, and an atrium linking the old building to the new building could cover a pool/gardern in the heart of downtown. I am think street-level retail as well.

Of-course this is an expensive venture, but unless that garage belongs to someone else, it seems to be a no-brainer.

By the way, let's ensure that any new tower really complements the First National Tower!

Architect2010
06-23-2008, 02:30 PM
Something like this?
http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk92/gandjdunlap/aerialview.jpg

This was provided from architect5311. I dunno where he got it from, but its definitely a high quality rendering, not just some photoshopped crap. But this definitely would not compliment the FNT at ALL! It would cover it up from the south.

David Pollard
06-23-2008, 02:43 PM
Yes, I saw this on another thread. the idea is Ok, but I would keep the facade across from the Colcord, to about 18 floors, and maybe have a historical nod to that building. More towards the center of the property, a separate or attached thinner tower could go up to 25 floors. In the photo above you see that it would echo the Kerr McGee (Sandridge) building and 'cradle' the First National Tower.

Doug Loudenback
06-24-2008, 06:39 AM
Architec5311's rendering is very nice, but I suppose it's understood by everyone that he/she placed it in the wrong location ... the construction area is WEST of the Colcord, not east.

metro
06-24-2008, 07:33 AM
Pollard, keep in mind the "Sandridge" Tower is about to get a facelift/remodel so it could have a different look soon. I think plans are supposed to be announced this summer along with the plans for the remodel of Couch Park/Kerr Park.

Architect2010
06-24-2008, 10:18 AM
Architec5311's rendering is very nice, but I suppose it's understood by everyone that he/she placed it in the wrong location ... the construction area is WEST of the Colcord, not east.

Yes Doug, I'm pretty sure every one understands. But... his mistake really caught my eye seeing as that is a really good location for another potential skyscraper.

What do you think?

sgt. pepper
06-24-2008, 12:19 PM
It needs to be cut in half vertically and put in two different locations...it's too big imo. What is located in that spot now?

David Pollard
06-24-2008, 12:48 PM
Pollard, keep in mind the "Sandridge" Tower is about to get a facelift/remodel so it could have a different look soon. I think plans are supposed to be announced this summer along with the plans for the remodel of Couch Park/Kerr Park.

Actually I did not know that. Any idea what that look might be? Seeing that the exterior wall seems to be structural I kind of wonder what they could actually do with it. Personally, I think just a good cleaning could make the building look great. It still is a building with a very distinct character that I feel compliments the OKC skyline.

CuatrodeMayo
06-24-2008, 01:17 PM
I suspect that the only exterior renovations will occur on the plaza.

Laramie
06-24-2008, 02:31 PM
Steve, I definitely remember seeing this in the newspaper in the late 80's or early 90's to my recollection.

I'll see if I can pull this up from the Oklahomans' archives.

Thanks, and hang in there, give me some time.

Doug Loudenback
06-24-2008, 03:56 PM
Yes Doug, I'm pretty sure every one understands. But... his mistake really caught my eye seeing as that is a really good location for another potential skyscraper.

What do you think?
I think that would be a good spot.

jbrown84
06-24-2008, 05:49 PM
Steve, I definitely remember seeing this in the newspaper in the late 80's or early 90's to my recollection.

I'll see if I can pull this up from the Oklahomans' archives.

Thanks, and hang in there, give me some time.

LOL. Steve works there and doesn't remember it... Sure you're not confusing it with the Galleria plans or something?

It needs to be cut in half vertically and put in two different locations...it's too big imo. What is located in that spot now?

I agree it's too big. That rendering has it placed where the Century Center currently is, which is what we were discussing.

sroberts24
07-02-2008, 12:29 PM
why can't the gaylord family build one of their gaylord hotel and convention center donwtown or bricktown??!!?!?!?

jbrown84
07-02-2008, 12:32 PM
Well Gaylord Hotels are actually part of Gaylord Entertainment, a publicly traded company based in Nashville that OPUBCO spun off. That's not to say that they Gaylords don't still hold some sway over what they do.

Easy180
07-02-2008, 07:17 PM
Look for this thread to become more realistic now that the Sonics are on the way

fromdust
07-02-2008, 09:45 PM
Look for this thread to become more realistic now that the Sonics are on the way

ohhh thats right