View Full Version : Warren Theatre coming to Memorial and Rockwell

Pages : [1] 2

metro
06-20-2008, 09:46 AM
I know we've discussed the rumor before, but it was confirmed in Wednesday's OKC Business.

Moore’s Warren Theatre plans expansion, additional location
OKC Business
By Pamela Grady - 6/18/2008

Bill Menke, corporate vice president of Warren Theatres announced plans today to expand the newly built 147,000-square-foot Warren Theatre in Moore.

Plans for expansion include 500 new parking spaces, a new restrooms and additional concession areas. In the fall, six new auditoriums will be added to its existing 14-screen facility.

Also, a second Warren Theatre will be coming soon to northwest Oklahoma City at Rockwell and Memorial Road, three miles west of Quail Springs Mall. The property is owned by Clay Farha of B.D. Eddie Enterprises.

“This has proved to be a two-market town for Warren Theatres,” Menke said. “We’ll probably begin construction on the new theater in the spring (2009) and open in spring of 2010.”

Menke said its current facility in Moore has two stadium auditoriums, the northwest Oklahoma City location will feature four.

During its April 4 opening week, Warren Theatre was third in the nation for two first-run movies: Leatherheads and Nim’s Island. The theater also plans two three-dimensional movies: Journey to the Center of the Earth July 11 and Fly Me To The Moon in August.

http://www.okcbusiness.com/images/photos/warrentheateropening.jpg
Moore's Warren Theater. Photo/Shannon Cornman

Joe Kimball
06-20-2008, 09:51 AM
I was a mile off, I guess. :)

jbrown84
06-20-2008, 12:40 PM
This surprises me.

And FOUR balcony theatres? WOW.

solitude
06-20-2008, 12:47 PM
This surprises me.

And FOUR balcony theatres? WOW.

Yeah....this is a surprise. I expect Warren will be huge in north Oklahoma City.

John
06-20-2008, 04:08 PM
I'd like to see them also open one up downtown -- maybe a 4 plex, similar to their Old Town Wichita one, which has 5 screens.

In AA or the Triangle?

OKCMallen
06-20-2008, 04:48 PM
That's not THAT far from Quail Springs...

flintysooner
06-20-2008, 04:52 PM
I'd like to see them also open one up downtown -- maybe a 4 plex, similar to their Old Town Wichita one, which has 5 screens.

In AA or the Triangle?

Warren asks city for $6M loan for Old Town theater (http://www.bizjournals.com/wichita/stories/2008/06/09/daily45.html?jst=b_ln_hl)

According to an analysis by the city's staff, "The Old Town Theatre is a popular destination in Old Town and serves as a major attraction to bring patrons to the Old Town area. However, its relatively small size, compared to norms in the movie theater industry, has created negative economies of scale that have resulted in significant financial losses during the theater's first five years of operation."

venture
06-21-2008, 01:12 AM
Good to see Moore will get expanded. The NW side location isn't a shock. They are probably only getting a few people from that side who otherwise stick with AMC. The four balcony theatres really isn't a shock. Their ability to really sell these out in Moore is an indication people love the product.

John
06-21-2008, 03:15 AM
This is in addition to the Dickinson theater going in the development just north of Quail.

yukong
06-21-2008, 06:58 AM
which corner at Mem/Rock?

NikonNurse
06-21-2008, 07:05 AM
Since they are all empty!!! I would assume it would be on the north side of memorial since housing is on the south....

yukong
06-21-2008, 07:43 PM
Well, I can answer my own question....NW corner. Large undeveloped area.

MadMonk
06-22-2008, 12:23 AM
Excellent news! :kicking:

venture
06-22-2008, 01:16 AM
Hum...so three fairly decent sized theatres in the same general area?

Who fails and goes under first?

edcrunk
06-22-2008, 02:20 AM
good question.... but i have a lot of faith in warren. they offer an experience you don't get at other theatres. they provide a level of service and opulence that is unrivaled in the metro.

btw, i am so thrilled at the sprawl that is flourishing around the turnpike. that area totally reminds me of las colinas, frisco and west plano, texas.

kristae
06-22-2008, 02:41 AM
I wonder what that will do to Quail Springs Mall? I work in the food court and the weekends and summertimes are DRIVEN by AMC theatres being open. Best case senario I guess is that the price will drop with the competition coming and business will stay relativley the same. Worst case is that the new theatres will drive AMC out of business... and the food court stores will cut hours to compensate loss of revenue and I will be out of a job by 2009 :(

kevinpate
06-22-2008, 07:45 AM
I pass the Warren in Moore most evenings during their prime time. For those who prefer lower crowds, Wednesday, not surprisingly in Oklahoma, seems to be the softest night, but their lot is by no means empty even then.

Nawfside OKC
06-22-2008, 11:36 AM

I also think warren will last that's a good (demo) for the theatre that's a young area of okc lots of kids and teens. Heck when I was growing up in the pc area only options we had for theatres was the dollar movies. or beg mom to take me to penn square mall which was rampant with gang violence at the time.

MadMonk
06-22-2008, 01:45 PM
I think AMC will be okay. There's a lot of us in the NW that don't like driving all the way to May Ave just to fight the mall traffic to see a movie. I'm sure they get lots of customers from Edmond anyway (does Edmond have a theater?) A little competition is good for the consumer.

BTW, the PC area's had lots of theaters come and go. I remember sneaking into the drive-in theater next to Hertz on NW Expressway (where Hideaway Pizza / the old Service Merchandise / Hemispheres is now). I also spent many hours in the little two-screen West Park theater at 63rd & MacArthur. There's Brixton Square, and the AMC in the shopping center on NW Expressway between Council and County Line (now an Express "convention center" I believe). Then there's the dollar theater that nearly ruined that shopping center at 63rd and NW Expressway. Tearing that down was a smart decision.

OKCDrummer77
06-22-2008, 02:58 PM
(does Edmond have a theater?)

The best they have (as far as I've seen) is Kickingbird Cinema at Danforth & Bryant. It's a decent place, but not as nice as AMC Quail.

kevinpate
06-22-2008, 08:31 PM
> the dollar theater that nearly ruined that shopping center at 63rd and
> NW Expressway.

Only went there once, back about summer 95. Seemed ok at the time. Forgot it had disappeared

the_Mont
06-22-2008, 09:04 PM
To tell you the truth, AMC at Quail Springs has always been my favorite movie theater. It totally revamped the entire mall, IMO. Kristae's right, the movie theater packs it in on the weekends, but I think it'll still be able to cater to the younger crowd, while the Warren will cater to the older, adult crowd (with disposable income).

okc_bel_air
06-22-2008, 10:34 PM
When is the new development next to Quail Springs even going to start? I see very little dirt work. I have not seen any heavy equipment in the area. I have not even seen any work on water and sewer work. This would be the first thing to be laid out. IMO I do not think the theater will be built anytime soon, or in at leat the next couple of years.

downtown20
06-23-2008, 11:09 AM
I'd be happier to hear about a theater supporting some local and/or independent movies moving into town. Instead we are celebrating a place that over-prices their balcony seats for people wanting to buy over-priced drinks during a movie. It's a silly concept that works (sadly), but it does nothing for the art of film... in fact, it distracts from the film. Their concept (and prices) will get old quickly.

jbrown84
06-23-2008, 08:24 PM

Well if service at the new Dickinson is anything like at the Penn Square one, I'd say bad news for them, but they will have the benefit of an IMAX. It will be interesting. AMC is very popular but the Warren is sure to be as well.

and the AMC in the shopping center on NW Expressway between Council and County Line (now an Express "convention center" I believe).

and the North Campus of Northwest Baptist Church.

JWil
06-23-2008, 10:45 PM
That's awesome. I love the Warren in Wichita and but I have less than zero reason to go south of I-40.. well, just about ever.

I'll definitely be a regular patron at the NW Warren. Awesome.

solitude
06-23-2008, 11:00 PM
Well if service at the new Dickinson is anything like at the Penn Square one, I'd say bad news for them

You can say that again. That theater has horrible service in every aspect. Once, I paid a fee for pre-purchasing tickets over the internet, when we got there they didn't have a machine to retrieve tix with your credit card or anything and there was a long line. I asked where to get my prepaid tickets and they said "at the ticket window." I said, "But there's a huge line, that's why I prepaid for my tickets!" I aksed for the manager who said some of their theaters have the machines but most don't and that's "typical Dickinson." I asked him what I paid for with the fee and what my advantage was in prepaying my tickets if I have to wait in the long line. He laughed and said "I guess nothing." I demanded my $3 back and got it. It's terrible over there. I remember the good old days of General Cinema in that spot - times have changed.

redcup
06-24-2008, 06:03 PM
Have been wanting to check out Warren, but don't want to make the drive. I live in central OKC. I also hate the drive to Quail Springs and am not terribly fond of that movie house either. Try going there on weekend evenings and you have to fight your way thru teens, teens, teens! Like teens, don't like herds of them. I also don't like having to walk thru the mall to get to the movie entrance.

Sigh, I think I am showing my age here.

I considered going to Warren anyway, but found out you have to pick up your tickets at the theatre if you use the reserved seating and not interested in driving there TWICE to see a movie. Having reserved seating is the only reason I would go there in the first place.

If I am not right let me know. It sounds like a fun evening otherwise.

:sofa:

dismayed
06-24-2008, 10:10 PM
I can't stand AMC 24 any more because it is overrun with annoying teenagers who like to scream out profanity during silent moments of a movie. Lame.

From here on out I'm just going to the 21+ section of the Warren!

lvs20702
06-30-2008, 01:49 PM
i am so glad that warren is coming to the north side of okc!! i worked in management for theatres in OKC for 8 1/2 years and these theatres are so nice. i think this will take the older crowd from amc who will be left with a LOT of the teenagers. i also believe that the edmond residents will drive out to experience the warren theatre....

Karried
07-02-2008, 12:43 PM
Sweet! Just found this thread ...yay! This location will do very well. Gaillardia is right around the corner.

A few minutes up the Kilpatrick - no yappy youngsters or annoying texters in the balcony section, I'm there, perfect! lol - yipee!

loriencfau
07-07-2008, 07:25 PM
I know we've discussed the rumor before, but it was confirmed in Wednesday's OKC Business.

Moore’s Warren Theatre plans expansion, additional location
OKC Business
By Pamela Grady - 6/18/2008

Bill Menke, corporate vice president of Warren Theatres announced plans today to expand the newly built 147,000-square-foot Warren Theatre in Moore.

Plans for expansion include 500 new parking spaces, a new restrooms and additional concession areas. In the fall, six new auditoriums will be added to its existing 14-screen facility.

Also, a second Warren Theatre will be coming soon to northwest Oklahoma City at Rockwell and Memorial Road, three miles west of Quail Springs Mall. The property is owned by Clay Farha of B.D. Eddie Enterprises.

“This has proved to be a two-market town for Warren Theatres,” Menke said. “We’ll probably begin construction on the new theater in the spring (2009) and open in spring of 2010.”

Menke said its current facility in Moore has two stadium auditoriums, the northwest Oklahoma City location will feature four.

During its April 4 opening week, Warren Theatre was third in the nation for two first-run movies: Leatherheads and Nim’s Island. The theater also plans two three-dimensional movies: Journey to the Center of the Earth July 11 and Fly Me To The Moon in August.

http://www.okcbusiness.com/images/photos/warrentheateropening.jpg
Moore's Warren Theater. Photo/Shannon Cornman

I didn't mind driving to Moore for the best theater in town, but this will make the trip much, much shorter.

ilog
07-07-2008, 08:47 PM
I can't say I'm excited about the location. It is just going to add to the urban sprawl.

ultimatesooner
07-08-2008, 08:23 AM
the swrawl is already way beyond Memorial and Rockwell, this will just fill in blank spots

Matt
07-08-2008, 07:51 PM
The new Warren can't open up fast enough, as far as I'm concerned.

I'm looking forward to never having to step foot in Quail Springs Mall, ever again.

Architect2010
07-08-2008, 08:01 PM
For movies of course right? Quail is most prone to becoming the next Crossroads. It needs to be supported. But I imagine that massive development north of it will keep it active.

But anyways. I don't go to the Warren, never have, no desire. I live on the Southside, 46th/ Walker. I'd rather go to Harkins. When I watch movies, I like to do stuff before and after, so I prefer the Bricktown area because we can do other things. Same with Quail and Crossroads. No way am I going to an over-glorified movie theatre in the suburbs when a very nice one is right in the middle of the action downtown. I'm glad this new one is IN the city. Even if its teetering on the edge.

OKCisOK4me
07-08-2008, 08:23 PM
For movies of course right? Quail is most prone to becoming the next Crossroads. It needs to be supported. But I imagine that massive development north of it will keep it active.

But anyways. I don't go to the Warren, never have, no desire. I live on the Southside, 46th/ Walker. I'd rather go to Harkins. When I watch movies, I like to do stuff before and after, so I prefer the Bricktown area because we can do other things. Same with Quail and Crossroads. No way am I going to an over-glorified movie theatre in the suburbs when a very nice one is right in the middle of the action downtown. I'm glad this new one is IN the city. Even if its teetering on the edge.

You don't know what you're missing. Granted I only went once and saw the film in the grand ballroom, but it was still very nice--very spacious for tall people.

roadsideok
07-08-2008, 10:52 PM
I think a northside Warren would be a nice alternative to the others in the area. Quail Springs is high on prices and difficult to get into. The Harkins is nice, but is also irritating to get to. Tinseltown is good for a cheap matinee. The Warren is much more worthwhile of a $9 ticket IMO - great amenities and a lack of recent theater irritations - television ads, movie trivia, etc.

Matt
07-10-2008, 11:35 PM
For movies of course right? Quail is most prone to becoming the next Crossroads. It needs to be supported.

It'll still be supported, but not by me--not that I ever supported it all that much to begin with. The only reason I ever go into QSM anyway is to see a movie at AMC, and that's an absolute pain in the ass, especially during the holidays when a lot of the good movies come out.

Jesseda
07-11-2008, 06:37 AM
HAs quail springs changed that much, i use to love it compared to crossroads, I live in moore anddrive to quail havent been there in over a year and last tme i was there, there wa lot of teens, but they didt act like the ones that dirty up crossroads.. has stores closed there? the only reason i would drive up there is the Disney store and the large childrens place clothing store..

MadMonk
07-11-2008, 07:03 AM
Quail Springs is still going strong. It's just the mall atmosphere that some people don't like. I don't really mind going there every once in a while (I'm not exactly a shop-a-holic), but I can understand the frustrations of people who don't.

jbrown84
07-13-2008, 03:04 PM
HAs quail springs changed that much, i use to love it compared to crossroads, I live in moore anddrive to quail havent been there in over a year and last tme i was there, there wa lot of teens, but they didt act like the ones that dirty up crossroads.. has stores closed there? the only reason i would drive up there is the Disney store and the large childrens place clothing store..

Nothing has closed. In fact, they have the same newly remodeled stores that Penn Square recently got (Victoria's Secret, Bath & Body, Limited) and they scored an exclusive upscale store that Penn doesn't have--Forever 21.

metro
09-18-2008, 07:12 AM
I took the following excerpt out of an article in the JR today about a new development in Tulsa. The same developers are eyeing developments in OKC.

In Oklahoma City, Expert is preparing a possible retail/office/multifamily project for 41 acres at Rockwell and Memorial Road. The company also owns the 30,000-square-foot Rockwell Crossing strip center at 122nd and Rockwell, with three pad sites available.

OKCMallen
09-18-2008, 07:36 AM
Quail is most prone to becoming the next Crossroads. It needs to be supported.

Why do you say that?

animeGhost
09-18-2008, 08:09 AM
I know that AMC has been fitted out for all digital projection so it shouldn't be to far from installation maybe before the end of the year.

Insider
09-18-2008, 09:44 AM
I know that AMC has been fitted out for all digital projection so it shouldn't be to far from installation maybe before the end of the year.

How do you know this? They were fitted out for IMAX (never happened), they were fitted out for all Dolby Digital (only installed two), etc. I worked at this theatre for many years and it is a cash cow (makes WAY more money than it takes to operate), but AMC was ALWAYS reluctant to invest money into this theatre because it is in a slow market. They will eventually convert it to all digital, but I would expect it to be one of the last theatres to be converted. They will do bigger markets first and work their way down. Since they only have two theatres in the market, Quail will be one of the last.

BG918
09-18-2008, 10:00 AM
I took the following excerpt out of an article in the JR today about a new development in Tulsa. The same developers are eyeing developments in OKC.

Sorry but I can't get excited about more sprawl along the Kilpatrick Tpke. I work up here now (temporarily) and can't wait to be in a different part of the city. I would be excited if this were being developed at the under-developed east end of Kilpatrick/Memorial where the future commuter rail line intersects it. Then it could be a TOD but not at Rockwell.

I'm curious why so many people want to live out west that way and not in the prettier hilly and tree-covered areas closer to I-35? Never made sense to me that the NE side of OKC was so sparesely developed while the ugly NW side was booming.

animeGhost
09-18-2008, 10:28 AM
How do you know this? They were fitted out for IMAX (never happened), they were fitted out for all Dolby Digital (only installed two), etc. I worked at this theatre for many years and it is a cash cow (makes WAY more money than it takes to operate), but AMC was ALWAYS reluctant to invest money into this theatre because it is in a slow market. They will eventually convert it to all digital, but I would expect it to be one of the last theatres to be converted. They will do bigger markets first and work their way down. Since they only have two theatres in the market, Quail will be one of the last.

A very good friend of mine works there now... they tell me they were scheduled to install the digital projection system this summer but for whatever reason they postponed it.

Architect2010
09-18-2008, 01:07 PM
Why do you say that?

Don't take that the wrong way. What I'm saying is...that out of Quail and Penn, Quail is more prone to go under. Not that it will though, Quail is very active and supported well and I love that mall almost as much as Penn. Just saying that if one of them were to disappear it would be Quail. Just saying...ya know?

Oh GAWD the Smell!
09-18-2008, 01:22 PM
Don't take that the wrong way. What I'm saying is...that out of Quail and Penn, Quail is more prone to go under. Not that it will though, Quail is very active and supported well and I love that mall almost as much as Penn. Just saying that if one of them were to disappear it would be Quail. Just saying...ya know?

Based on what criteria? Or is that just a gut feeling?

metro
09-18-2008, 03:54 PM
Sorry but I can't get excited about more sprawl along the Kilpatrick Tpke. I work up here now (temporarily) and can't wait to be in a different part of the city. I would be excited if this were being developed at the under-developed east end of Kilpatrick/Memorial where the future commuter rail line intersects it. Then it could be a TOD but not at Rockwell.

I'm curious why so many people want to live out west that way and not in the prettier hilly and tree-covered areas closer to I-35? Never made sense to me that the NE side of OKC was so sparesely developed while the ugly NW side was booming.

I agree. Never made sense why the sprawl went more west and not east. Everyone thinks east is "poorer" and some parts are, but it is sure prettier and has the potential to be with all the hills and wooded areas compared to flat land out by Piedmont.

jbrown84
09-18-2008, 05:11 PM

It's all about the school districts. I agree though. I don't understand the appeal of the far NW side.

PapaJack
09-18-2008, 06:00 PM
Comparing "Far NW OKC" with NE OKC & Edmond is like comparing OKC with Tulsa. Geographically they ain't the same, but still more people call OKC home than Tulsa.

We chose to live near NW164th & Meridian because we could not afford Edmond or Norman. The open prairie has a charm and mystique all its own. The sun rises and sunsets are fabulous, the yipping of coyotes is enthralling, and the scissor tails, pippets and kildeer are fun to watch. Now about those damned potholes...

jsibelius
09-18-2008, 06:13 PM

My vote would go to AMC. I HATE having to walk all the way through the mall when I have absolutely no desire to shop. If I'm just there for a movie, I'd rather go straight into the theater. Right now, we go to Tinseltown, unless something good is showing in the balconies at the Warren - then we'll drive down to Moore. We're only willing to spend the money on the Warren if something good is showing in the balconies. That may change if they're closer to home.

The new Warren can't open up fast enough, as far as I'm concerned.

I'm looking forward to never having to step foot in Quail Springs Mall, ever again.

Amen! Preach on...

BB37
09-18-2008, 08:38 PM

I don't see either one going under in the foreseeable future. QSM is in the center of the hottest retail area in central OK; with its proximity to Edmond and far north OKC, it's got a large, affluent population base to pull from.

PSM is closer to downtown, the capitol, HSC and the central part of OKC than Crossroads, and doesn't have the gang issues. Its proximity to Nichols Hills doesn't hurt, either.

circuitboard
09-19-2008, 12:23 PM
Penn Square has the highest retail sales in the state, Woodland Hills is second. If any mall would go under it would be Quail first. Penn Square is hot location and frankly I think it is the core shopping area of OKC. To me it's OKC very small galleria. Have you ever noticed how the Highway next to PSM, is like when your on 635 next to galleria in dallas. Everytime I am in dallas always think of that for some reason.

Chase
10-18-2008, 11:59 AM
Any update on the Warren in NW OKC? I would not be surprised if he is scoping out places in Tulsa.

scootinger
10-20-2008, 06:18 PM
A very good friend of mine works there now... they tell me they were scheduled to install the digital projection system this summer but for whatever reason they postponed it.

The AMC Quail Springs (at least some of the theaters) is definitely set up for digital projection. I saw "Body of Lies" there on Friday...the ads at the beginning of the movie were in digital. But they showed the actual movie itself using the film projection (the projectors were sitting side by side)....why!?!?!? :(

Insider
10-21-2008, 07:26 AM
The preshow at almost all AMC theatres are shown on digital projectors. These, however, are not 'movie quality' projectors. They were installed at AMC 3-4 years ago and were installed to get rid of the old slide projectors. The digital movie projectors that AMC is installing in their theatres are EXTREMELY NICE! The projectors at Warren in Moore are 2K projectors (basically, they have like 2 times the resolution of a 1080p TV at your home), AMC is installing 4K projectors (4 times the resolution). When AMC finally installs these in Quail, the picture will be amazing. But I would not expect to see them for probably another year or so.

kevinpate
10-21-2008, 08:06 AM
ought to be interesting to hear how it all shakes out. I don't tend to do movies on the north side, last one was ages ago at the old discount theater off 63rd and NWXPress, the far south of the north side I suppose