View Full Version : "The Store" offers dairy, produce to downtowners

shane453
06-19-2008, 05:40 PM
I recently met a man named Mike Clark who has opened "The Store" on the north facade of the Power Alley garage about two weeks ago. The Store is between my work and my parking spot so I see him a few times a day.

I wanted to just post a notice on here letting people know that it's available- he has fruit, veggies, some dairy products, and anything you would find in a convenience store, and he's just a couple blocks south of Deep Deuce so it's ideal for people who live up there in The Triangle/DD. He's a very friendly guy, older man, his hat says he's a Vietnam veteran. Today when I walked by he and his wife were planting flowers outside the Store, so they're doing a great job running the place and making it look nice.

He also offers "OKC Tours" which he tells me are 1.5 hour tours of the city taken in his 1932 Cadillac!

Anyway, if you live or work nearby, stop by there and introduce yourself! I really got a great urban neighborhood store vibe from meeting Mr. Clark and he's really interested in getting to know his customers, so I encourage you to support his business!

kevinpate
06-19-2008, 06:23 PM
> "OKC Tours" which he tells me are 1.5 hour tours of the city taken
> in his 1932 Cadillac

happen to mention rates, contact number, website, anything of the sort?

metro
06-19-2008, 09:08 PM
Very interesting. I will definitely check this out. I hope he succeeds and is willing to listen/change to customer needs. This will be a good start to a downtown boutique until we get something bigger. I'll support this any way I can.

HOT ROD
06-20-2008, 01:49 AM
very nice, downtown's first convenience store!

The Old Downtown Guy
06-20-2008, 07:08 AM

Actually, Boone's Store on Reno just west of Mickey Mantle was open for a year or so . . . 2005 - 2007 . . . but closed up shop at that location and moved into a building just east of Java Dave's about a year ago . . . but anyway . . .

An interesting mix of businesses that Mr. Clark has going there and I hope he is able to find a way to make it work.

shane453
06-20-2008, 09:38 AM
There is a phone number on the sign for the tours. He told me that it was $75 for the hour-and-a-half tour. I don't think he has a website.

Since he's such a nice guy and so interested in his customers, I'm sure he will be willing to adapt the store to meet the needs of his customers.

metro
06-20-2008, 09:43 AM
Originally Posted by HOT ROD

Actually, Boone's Store on Reno just west of Mickey Mantle was open for a year or so . . . 2005 - 2007 . . . but closed up shop at that location and moved into a building just east of Java Dave's about a year ago . . . but anyway . . .

An interesting mix of businesses that Mr. Clark has going there and I hope he is able to find a way to make it work.

Actually a few things: This is not downtown's first "convenience store". Downtown has several convenience stores. Taylor's Books & Convenience is a convenience store that has been around forever. There has also been one across from the Montgomery for a few years. I believe there may also be one in the underground or Devon's tower. There is also a Shell station in Bricktown and on approximately NW 6th and Walker.

Boone's store was never really a convenience store, more just a novelty shop of western goods and homemade fudge.

I haven't been to this new place yet, but I imagine it as a very small boutique grocery/convenience store.

Blangdon
06-20-2008, 05:39 PM
can anyone give me an address of this "nice old man's store"? :) Thanks!

HOT ROD
06-20-2008, 05:45 PM
Actually a few things: This is not downtown's first "convenience store". Downtown has several convenience stores.

excuse me.

I dont live there and I always hear you guys complaining about not having a grocery store and having to drive somewhere - that I figured there was nothing there.

In fact, I've been to OKC and downtown many times (was there in May) and I didn't see NOT ONE convenience store. ... or one that I recognize perhaps???

mecarr
06-20-2008, 06:11 PM
This is great news. How did we not hear about this earlier? You think with all the clammoring around here for some sort of store like this in downtown that someone would have known about it a while back.

shane453
06-21-2008, 09:53 AM
I don't have an address, but it's just located along Sheridan in the first floor of the parking garage in Bricktown.

metro
06-21-2008, 10:16 PM
HOTROD, We're complaining about not having a full blown grocery store downtown, not a convenience store. We have several convenience stores. Most are clamoring for a Whole Foods, Trader Joes, boutique grocery. I still welcome this as it is another quick fix for more downtowners until something better comes along. As the article about this place in today's Oklahoman Business section stated, this should fill a good niche for hotels guests and most hotel conceirges are sending customers here for a quick snack, etc.

kevinpate
06-22-2008, 07:51 AM
I did not realize until I saw the article that the gentleman is the same one who used to (still does?) have the car collection in the BT garage. Nice little collection as I recall.

metro
07-07-2008, 02:34 PM
My wife and I stopped by "The Store" yesterday after our trek to Norman to Forward Foods and Native Roots Market. We were hoping to get a few last items so we could support downtown grocery options. I was disappointed they didn't have "dairy" or milk. This place is truly more like a convenience store, fountain drinks, coffee & cappucino, ready made sandwiches in plastic wrap, chips, snack foods, cigarettes, beer, etc. He did have a few individually wrapped veggies and fruits. We met the owner and he's very nice and likes to meet and get to know downtown residents. He is very open to resident input on future items to stock. I encouraged him to buy milk and as much natural and organic products as possible. He is trying to work with Borden or Hiland to see if he can start carrying milk. He is also working on trying to get cloth reusable bags with his logo on it for his frequent customers. This will be a great stop for late night club goers and hotel visitors once the Hampton Inn opens.

Martin
07-07-2008, 03:25 PM
speaking of native roots... we went there for the first time this weekend and that place is really cool! will definitely be going back.

-M

CCOKC
07-07-2008, 05:03 PM
I went by the Store Friday night after the fireworks. I was pleasantly surprised that they were still open since I wanted a drink but did not want to spend an hour in line at the Sonic. Agree that it is a convenience store but it would definitely do in a pinch for those of you who live close enough to walk there.

I did the same thing Metro did last week and did both stores in Norman since they are so close together. I wish I knew something about running a grocery store. I would love to open a store like this on Broadway.

betts
07-07-2008, 05:42 PM
I went by the Store Friday night after the fireworks. I was pleasantly surprised that they were still open since I wanted a drink but did not want to spend an hour in line at the Sonic. Agree that it is a convenience store but it would definitely do in a pinch for those of you who live close enough to walk there.

I did the same thing Metro did last week and did both stores in Norman since they are so close together. I wish I knew something about running a grocery store. I would love to open a store like this on Broadway.

That would be very cool. I know, I've wished I had more retail experience too. It will be nice to know that the Store is there when you need something fast, but I'm hoping for dairy too. I'll be living downtown by December, and so a grocery store is sounding good, though.