View Full Version : Steve is bating us again.....

brianinok
06-18-2008, 05:17 PM
Did anyone see Steve's column from yesterday? Looks like he is bating us again.

Interesting comments on 3 hotels in Bricktown (I assume one is the Candlewood Suites announced today). I hope at least one of them is full service. Also an interesting comment about the hotel executives in town recently shopping Bricktown for possible development. Steve, care to share any additional details with the okctalk crew??

There's no dust gathering in downtown | NewsOK.com (http://newsok.com/theres-no-dust-gathering-in-downtown/article/3258326/?tm=1213671668)

There's no dust gathering in downtown

By Steve Lackmeyer
Business Writer
Sometimes it's not the big grand openings or $20 million development announcements, but rather all the bits and pieces that create a picture of just how vibrant downtown Oklahoma City is these days.

Soundbites in the Park ending?
•Downtown Oklahoma City Inc. is going to take another shot at ending its annual Soundbites in the Park with a special happy hour Friday. The festivities at Kerr Park will run from 4:30 to 6:30 p.m. with a performance by the Groove Merchants and food and beer bar provided the Skirvin Hilton hotel. A similar setup was planned last year, but was canceled by rain. Organizers swear they will have clear skies this time.
I can only imagine what architect Rand Elliott is planning for the park. He was hired last year by SandRidge Energy and Chesapeake Energy Corp. to design an overhaul – and those plans are expected to come out this summer.

Chamber's plans await panel's decision
•It's not quite a done deal. The Greater Oklahoma City Chamber, which unveiled its plans for a headquarters to be built at NW 4 and Broadway, must deliver those same designs today to the Oklahoma City Urban Renewal Authority. The authority's board of commissioners will then begin deliberation of the chamber's proposal at an open meeting 10 a.m. Wednesday. The board meets in the Urban Renewal board room on the 24th floor of City Place, 204 N Robinson Ave.

Film Row brings in crowd
•I'm told by Downtown Oklahoma City Inc. that a packed crowd attended a weekend movie screening along downtown's Film Row — the newest site added to the list of venues for the annual deadCenter Film Festival.
On a recent visit with developer Chip Fudge, I learned that an update on improvements to the area should be forthcoming.

More beds expected for guests?
•At least three hotel deals are being worked in Bricktown. They are in addition to the Hampton Inn being built next to the Bricktown parking garage on Sheridan Avenue and a Holiday Inn Express planned for the corner of Oklahoma Avenue and Main Street.
I've also learned that a couple of executives from at least two different companies in town for the American Hotel and Lodging Association conference were shopping deals in Bricktown.

Irish pub is shining in MidTown
•James E. McNellie's Public House is now open at MidTown's Plaza Court Building at the intersection of NW 10 and Walker Avenue. The Irish pub and restaurant was filled with customers noontime Monday.

Will there be free parking?
•Five years ago finding a parking spot in MidTown was easy. These days, those spots are filling up fast at peak times, especially at the reopened Plaza Court Building. But unlike Bricktown, most of the parking is owned by two parties intent on filling up empty buildings. And those parties, St. Anthony Hospital and Greg Banta, are showing no interest in charging for parking.

Automobile Alley adds Iguana Grill
•Automobile Alley will get another restaurant later this month when the Iguana Grill, previously planned for 1015 N Broadway, opens at 9 NW 9 (just around the corner from NW 9 and Broadway).

LIL_WAYNE_4_PREZIDENT08
06-18-2008, 05:38 PM
Where exactly is he baiting?

HOT ROD
06-18-2008, 05:42 PM
well, we know one of the 3 new hotels, Candlewood Suites 120 rooms.

Steve
06-18-2008, 08:34 PM
Have you read OKC Central — All about downtown OKC (http://www.okccentral.com) lately?

LIL_WAYNE_4_PREZIDENT08
06-18-2008, 08:39 PM
Yo steve

Whats the chaces of OKC getting a 500+ room highrise hotel anytime soon

Steve
06-18-2008, 08:46 PM
Good question. Let me reverse it. Is the city's chances of attracting a high-rise convention hotel impacted by a rising downtown room count with much of the supply consisting of limited service $90 to $120 a night rooms?

LIL_WAYNE_4_PREZIDENT08
06-18-2008, 08:48 PM
I Posted In An Earlier Thread That I Believe That The City My Be Making A Mistake By Getting Numerous 100-200 Room Hotels When They Could Go Get A 500-1,000 Maybe Even "iconic" Highrise Hotel

brianinok
06-18-2008, 08:54 PM
Actually, Steve, I hadn't seen that post. Sorry, I don't check your blog as often as I should, much like this site. I know we need the limited service hotels downtown, but I sure hope #10-14 (I'll be optimistic) include some more exciting offerings.

metro
06-18-2008, 09:13 PM
You mean baiting? And this was posted yesterday as well:

http://www.okctalk.com/okc-metro-area-talk/8590-downtown-construction-update.html