View Full Version : Bicycling Information

OKCisOK4me
06-18-2008, 04:14 PM
Okay. First things first. I've gone to okc.gov to find information on bicycling trails in and around OKC. There is a good map on there but I recently email a guy who gave me information and this updated map:

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r170/OkStateBBall78/OKCBikeTrails.jpg

Here is a response to questions I had asked him:

Q. what is the status of the future trails that are either funded or not?
A. See attached map. It shows the trails that are funded, under construction, un-funded and complete. The Katy Trail is presently under construction, (orange). The Deep Fork Creek Trail and part of the N. Canadian River Trail is funded, but has not started construction, construction drawings are nearing completion, (red). And the N. Grand Boulevard Trail, the Earlywine Trail and the Tinker-Draper Trail are all funded but not constructed, (blue).

Q. Is the Overholser Connection fully done and will there ever be a dedicated crossing either over or under Northwest Expressway?
A. Yes, the Hefner to Overholser Trail is complete. However, the portion along Wilshire Boulevard, between NW Expressway and Rockwell is an on-street bike route that will be upgraded when Wilshire Boulevard is widened next year. And also, there are funds available to construct a Bicycle/Pedestrian bridge over the NW Expressway.

Q. Also what is the status on the Hefner Dam Rd.?
A. The Hefner Trail Dam Road is expected to be complete sometime in mid-July, 2008. So, hopefully you will be able to make the loop around the lake very soon.

Q. What is the overall time frame for all these trails to be put in to use?
A. The Katy Trail is expected to be finished by late 2009, (orange). The Deep Fork Creek and the N. Canadian River Trail is expected to be complete in mid to late 2010, (red). And the N. Grand Boulevard Trail, the Earlywine Trail and the Tinker-Draper Trail may be completed in late 2010 or early 2011, (blue).

So anyway, I know this answers my questions & I hope it also helps any of you that had the same questions!

CCOKC
06-18-2008, 05:02 PM
Thanks for that information. I am glad to hear about the overholser connection upgrades. The shared portion on wilshire right now looks downright dangerous. I am also curious to see what a bridge over NWE will look like.

OKCisOK4me
06-18-2008, 05:46 PM
Thanks for that information. I am glad to hear about the overholser connection upgrades. The shared portion on wilshire right now looks downright dangerous. I am also curious to see what a bridge over NWE will look like.

Yeah, I figure on staying away from that portion of the trail--that is until Wilshire is widened and the bike route is separate from the street. I also will not ride between lakes Hefner & Overholser until the bridge over NWE is completed. I just don't want to mess with traffic on there as it is now.

A friend of mine, his dad lives up in Overland Park, KS, and he was telling me that they have trails all over the place and they actually go underneath the big streets up there. How is it that they can fund a project like that and OKC can't?

bornhere
06-19-2008, 03:19 PM
Because nobody important to the leadership in this city wants it.

BG918
06-19-2008, 03:25 PM
It sure would be nice to see Norman's expanding Legacy Trail along the tracks through downtown expanded northward through Moore and up to OKC to connect with trails along the Oklahoma River. That would be a nice, long continuous trail with limited crossings and secured right-of-way.

Luke
08-20-2008, 09:24 AM
What is the current state of the Katy Trail? Is it still just train tracks?

FritterGirl
08-29-2008, 03:14 PM
What is the current state of the Katy Trail? Is it still just train tracks?

As I understand it, the Katy trail has:

paved up to 16th street, and grraded up to 36th.

The accompanying sidewalk has been completed up through Lincoln Golf Course.

When complete, sometime this winter, pending no significant weather delays, it will course all the way up between the Zoo and Remington, onto Grand Boulevard west of MLK, then terminate just south of the Cowbowy Hall of Fame.

Pete
08-31-2008, 09:45 PM
I'm glad to see a comprehensive plan, but OKC is still way behind most mid-sized cities when it comes to trails and bike lanes.

At least there are the Lake Hefner loop and the OK River trails but we have a loooong way to go just to catch up to most other towns.

OKCTalker
08-31-2008, 10:21 PM
For all that Mick Cornett has done to promote physical fitness, he's been all but silent on the topic of bicycling.

bornhere
09-01-2008, 01:14 AM
Buy Clay Bennett a bicycle. Mick Cornett's interest in bike trails will skyrocket.

BG918
09-01-2008, 09:01 PM
So will Grand have bike lanes on the street or separated? I would like to see bike lanes on Grand connecting to the Deep Fork trail and also to the Lake Hefner trails. That would be a nice, long trail between Lake Overholser and the Deep Fork trail at I-35, eventually following the creek all the way to Lake Arcadia. I'd also like to see the Oklahoma/N. Canadian River trails expanded east and especially west to eventually connect to Lake Overholser and the aforementioned trail route. And like I said before a trail along the BNSF right of way connecting downtown and the river to Moore and Norman...

westsidesooner
09-03-2008, 09:05 AM
I'd also like to see the Oklahoma/N. Canadian River trails expanded east and especially west to eventually connect to Lake Overholser and the aforementioned trail route. And like I said before a trail along the BNSF right of way connecting downtown and the river to Moore and Norman...

I was thinking about this area just the other day............are you psychic?

I live close to Lake Overholser and use the trails there all the time, at least when mother nature cooperates. So far I haven't taken the trail up to Hefner because I don't like the idea of crossing NW highway. But I would if they build a bridge or tunnel. I lived in southern California for awhile and I got spoiled....bike lanes EVERYWHERE.

What I'd really like is to see the Overholser trail connect to the Oklahoma river trails. I googled the river ( Google Maps (http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&t=h&ll=35.463117,-97.639875&spn=0.040547,0.076904&z=14) ) and there really isnt to much in the way of connecting these trails (although I dont know who owns the land surrounding it). Theres even a small lake just south of I-40 that would make a great place for a large urban park. I'll try to drive down and see if its really a lake or just some gross sewer lagoon

This is in the area that was supposed to be "The String Of Pearls" park, which I have been looking for information on with no success. I would love to see the original plans for this area, maybe Doug has something in his blog about it. If not I dont see why there can't be a new plan made to connect the trails and build a world class string of parks between downtown/core to shore and the lake.

OKC is kind of lacking in the quality of their parks and its time we change that. You would think that with Mayor Mick being all health conscious he'd love the idea. Someone but him a bike and a kayak. Please.

Pete
09-03-2008, 09:25 AM
Vastly improving and expanding the bike trail system would be a great project for MAPS 3. Wouldn't require a huge amount of funds but a decent chunk is needed to make some of these things happen.

And I agree that tying in the Oklahoma River trails is really important. It will soon be a featured recreation area... It would be nice to tie together all the lakes and major parks.

I'm a pretty serious cyclist and I honestly don't know where I could do a decent-length ride in the OKC area without encountering a maddening (and unsafe) amount of stop signs and traffic lights.

For cycling to really take off in OKC, you need to have some good 50-mile stretches... Would also help to attract more events and races.

Luke
09-03-2008, 09:32 AM
For cycling to really take off in OKC, you need to have some good 50-mile stretches... Would also help to attract more events and races.

That would probably help in our 2024 Summer Olympics bid.

:)

jason_b
09-03-2008, 10:58 AM
Buy Clay Bennett a bicycle. Mick Cornett's interest in bike trails will skyrocket.

That made me laugh!

On another note, has anyone discussed security concerns on any of the trails? Portions of some of the trails go through fairly secluded areas. Are there provisions for lighting, call boxes, or security cameras along the routes?

metro
09-03-2008, 11:03 AM
westside, please know plans are in the works to put a bike/pedestrian bridge over NW Expressway to connect to the Lake Hefner trails.

OKCTalker
09-03-2008, 11:48 AM
That made me laugh!

On another note, has anyone discussed security concerns on any of the trails? Portions of some of the trails go through fairly secluded areas. Are there provisions for lighting, call boxes, or security cameras along the routes?

Jason - I'd be interested in knowing how many assaults on bicyclists occur every year in the metro. Sure don't hear of many (thankfully), but that's just my perception. Cellphones take the place of call boxes, and I don't think that security cameras would serve a useful purpose. (Not to hijack this good thread, but if security cameras did the trick on quelling bad activity, then we should put them in the parking areas in our city parks.)

BG918
09-03-2008, 01:06 PM
Canadian River/Norman to Moore to the Okla. River to Lake Overholser to Lake Hefner to Lake Arcadia would be 50+ miles, maybe closer to 100. That would be quite the trail system, and we're already about half finished with the existing trails or planned trails. Connecting the OKC trails down to Moore and Norman would eventually complete it. A segment of that trail is already finished in Norman (Legacy Trail) it just needs to be extended northward...

jason_b
09-03-2008, 11:13 PM
Jason - I'd be interested in knowing how many assaults on bicyclists occur every year in the metro. Sure don't hear of many (thankfully), but that's just my perception. Cellphones take the place of call boxes, and I don't think that security cameras would serve a useful purpose. (Not to hijack this good thread, but if security cameras did the trick on quelling bad activity, then we should put them in the parking areas in our city parks.)

Good points, and no, I haven't heard of many either. Just tossing out a concern that some may have.

BailJumper
09-04-2008, 06:23 AM
I'm trying to figure out a route from downtown OKC to Tinker. Got relatives there and we'd love to ride together.

trousers
10-23-2008, 09:07 AM
Does anyone have any new updates on this?

westsidesooner
06-18-2009, 09:33 AM
Are they still planing to build a bridge/tunnel across/under Nw Hwy to connect the Hefner trails to the Overholser trails?

metro
06-18-2009, 09:52 AM
I believe so, but I sure haven't heard anything on this front, the City sure does stay quiet when it comes to bicycle plans.

LakeEffect
06-20-2009, 04:24 AM
I believe so, but I sure haven't heard anything on this front, the City sure does stay quiet when it comes to bicycle plans.

Not real quiet - the Traffic Commission heard the first phase of the bicycle route implementation plan on Monday.

Also, the bridge over NW Expressway was approved by the voters with the 2007 GO Bond Election, so it has to be built. I'm not sure where it is on the timing though.

On a somewhat related note - the trails system is somewhat in a gray area when it comes to management. The Planning Dept. has traditionally been the driver for route planning and new trail ideas, but Parks & Rec. actually implements and maintains (Planning applies for grants, Public Works uses the grant money for design/construction, and Parks maintains). Because Planning doesn't have a marketing/PR person in the Dept., it's tough to really be out there and promote, and Parks & Rec.'s marketing/PR position is used for a variety of duties. However, the budget approved by Council this week allows for the creation of a new marketing position in the Public Information & Marketing Dept. that is 60% for planning and 40% for Public Works/Maps. Maybe that'll help with the spread of info.