Information & Latest News
120 S. Lincoln
status= Proposed
owner= Danny Patel
architect= RK Design & Planning
height= 5 stories
131 rooms

5/14/14: $6 million building permit application
4/16/14: OCURA to extend start of development to June 2014 and completion deadline to December 2015
3/26/13: Design approved
2/14/13: Bricktown hotel development is unveiled (http://newsok.com/bricktown-hotel-development-is-unveiled/article/3755167)
2/12/13: Design application (http://www.okc.gov/Access/Cap/CapDetail.aspx?Module=Planning&TabName=Planning&capID1=13SPZ&capID2=00000&capID3=00036&agencyCode=OKC&IsToShowInspection=)
Links
Downtown Hotel Summary
Urban Project Summary
Gallery

betts
06-18-2008, 02:49 PM
Hard to get excited about this.....

Kerry
06-18-2008, 02:57 PM
You can't get excited about this? Why? This is great news. At 100 to 125 rooms it will be about 5 to 7 stories and extend downtown/Bricktown even more. Just think of all the low-rise building that were removed as part of urban renewal. We are starting to get those back.

HOT ROD
06-18-2008, 03:52 PM
exactly, plus with this downtown now has its first - true extended stay hotel.

Residence Inns are supposedly extended stay but usually those are the suburban locations, downtown ones are HARDLY the same: see the upscale one we have now. ...

This new hotel will bring in another price range for people, which is needed. Downtown can't be all upscale and full-service, you need boutique and you also need extended stay!

So, let me take a stab on the room count downtown:

Candlewood Suites = 125 rooms (extended stay, 3 star?) *
Colcord Hotel = 150 rooms (all upscale/boutique, 4.5 star)
Courtyard Hotel = 250 rooms (all upscale and urban/hip, 4 star)
Hampton Inn and Suites = 250 rooms (upscale, urban 3 star) *
Hilton Skirvin Hotel = 225 rooms (all full-upscale 5 star)
Holiday Inn Express = 150 rooms (budget hotel, 3 star) *
Renaissance Hotel = 311 rooms (all upscale, convention 4.5 star)
Residence Inn = 150 rooms (upscale, business "extended stay" 3 star)
Sheraton Hotel = 395 rooms (upscale, business, and convention, 3.5 star)

= 2006 rooms Downtown.

* indicates hotels either u/c or approved

Need I say, we still need more hotels; like some heavy hitters (>500 rooms). Honestly, I think we low-balled the Renaissance hotel; it should ahve been at least 20 storeys which would have given us at least 415 rooms (which sounds more like a 'convention hotel'). I think Courtyard hotel is low-balled also; it should have been 12 storeys at least instead of 8 (which would give 375 rooms). That's 230 additional rooms and alone would put us over 2250 rooms.

I think we need to shoot for 3000 rooms total complete, u/c, and approved by 2010, and 5000 rooms by 2015.

Platemaker
06-18-2008, 07:06 PM
So, let me take a stab on the room count downtown:

Candlewood Suites = 125 rooms (extended stay, 3 star?) *
Colcord Hotel = 150 rooms (all upscale/boutique, 4.5 star)
Courtyard Hotel = 250 rooms (all upscale and urban/hip, 4 star)
Hampton Inn and Suites = 250 rooms (upscale, urban 3 star) *
Hilton Skirvin Hotel = 225 rooms (all full-upscale 5 star)
Holiday Inn Express = 150 rooms (budget hotel, 3 star) *
Renaissance Hotel = 311 rooms (all upscale, convention 4.5 star)
Residence Inn = 150 rooms (upscale, business "extended stay" 3 star)
Sheraton Hotel = 395 rooms (upscale, business, and convention, 3.5 star)

Where are you getting these star ratings?

The Skirvin isn't and can't be 5 star. There are so many detailed requirements of 5 stars that it's not possible. In fact, the Skirvin has not even been Mobil star rated. If it was, it would probably get 3 stars (same as the Renaissance, Sheraton, Waterford, and Crowne Plaza...all of which do have Mobil ratings)

The Skirvin could possibly get 4 stars if they were seriously seriously on top of the inspector.

The Skirvin does (along with the others I mentioned) have a AAA 4-Diamond rating. Of course AAA Diamonds are much easier to get than Mobil Stars. Mobil is definitely the "gold standard" in hotel ratings.

LIL_WAYNE_4_PREZIDENT08
06-18-2008, 07:10 PM
I think OKC needs to focus on landing a couple 400-500+ room hotels instead of these 100-200 room ones

OKCisOK4me
06-18-2008, 07:25 PM
Where are you getting these star ratings?

The Skirvin isn't and can't be 5 star. There are so many detailed requirements of 5 stars that it's not possible. In fact, the Skirvin has not even been Mobil star rated. If it was, it would probably get 3 stars (same as the Renaissance, Sheraton, Waterford, and Crowne Plaza...all of which do have Mobil ratings)

The Skirvin could possibly get 4 stars if they were seriously seriously on top of the inspector.

The Skirvin does (along with the others I mentioned) have a AAA 4-Diamond rating. Of course AAA Diamonds are much easier to get than Mobil Stars. Mobil is definitely the "gold standard" in hotel ratings.

I'm pretty sure there was an article a few months back saying that the Skirvin was #1 on the Hilton Hotels list. With that said, it should be a ***** hotel..

Platemaker
06-18-2008, 07:44 PM
I'm pretty sure there was an article a few months back saying that the Skirvin was #1 on the Hilton Hotels list. With that said, it should be a ***** hotel..

I recall that same article... but I don't recall the publication, criteria, etc.

According to Mobil, the top rated Hilton is The Beverly Hilton and it is 4 Stars. You have to remember... Hilton really isn't the "fancy pants" brand anymore. For that try some Four Seasons, Mandarin Oriental, or St. Regis.

Architect2010
06-18-2008, 09:34 PM
There is no way...that the Sheraton would even be on par with the Skirvin. The Renaissance isn't even on par with the Skirvin, it would surely get better ratings...by far.

Platemaker
06-18-2008, 11:03 PM
"On par" is all a matter of opinion in the way that I think you mean. Mobil and AAA both have minimum requirements for their Star/Diamond ratings. That said, based only on the accommodation types and services advertised a property will have the potential for a particular rating.... then the inspector shows up and based on the level of service he receives makes or breaks the rating.

The Skirvin does not offer any services that the Shearton and Renaissance do not... at least not insomuch as it would put them above and beyond.

The Skirvin website says they have shoe shine service... negative. None of the downtown hotels do. If the inspector wanted his shoes shined....BAM.... they are farther from that star.

I agree that the Skirvin is more attractive, grand, and appealing... but it doesn't mean that the Sheraton can't score higher "by far" on rating systems with specific requirements.

5 Star (specifying Mobil) require crazy things like original artwork in each room.... 4 requires it too... but they can be prints. If the property can't meet that requirement, they have to make up for it in another area. It's a "we require all items from column C, at least 8 from column B, and 3 from column A" sort of thing.

ourulz2000
06-20-2008, 07:38 AM
Here's a 7 story Candlewood Suites in NYC:

http://newyorkssixth.com/directory/images/feb2008/2/candlewood020508.jpg

http://newyorkssixth.com/directory/images/waterfrontnorth/candlewood.jpg

I'm sure it will look like the Residence Inn across the street.

CuatrodeMayo
06-20-2008, 08:06 AM
And here's what the rest of them look like...can anybody say EIFS?

East Lansing:
http://image.hospitalityonline.com/e/stock/candlewood_2.jpg

Detroit:
http://pegasus-images.travelsciences.com/YO_images/dttwn_b1.jpg

Hampton, VA:
http://www.jfsc.ndu.edu/prospective_students/welcome_aboard_package/Candlewood_Suites.jpg

Colorado Springs:
http://www.hotelplanner.com/Common/Images/Hotels/20579_1.jpg

BDP
06-20-2008, 08:59 AM
You can't get excited about this? Why?

I think mainly because these things are a dime a dozen and rarely, if ever, are they any different or bring anything new to the area. The rooms are welcome, but these things are turning an area that many expected to be a unique and interesting enertainment district into another Meridian Ave or Memorial Rd.

So, I think it's pretty understandable that many will find it hard to get excited about something that the city already has many of and the huge compromise it represents compared to what many had envisioned for the bricktown district and its immediate surroundings. Add to it that the area has had a lot of public investment to try and bring new things to the city, and these kind of developments fall short of that goal. It's just a matter of opportunity cost because 1) once it's developed it will be decades before it can be redeveloped and 2) addings rooms with these mediocre only reduces the chances that another major hotel dedvelopment will come online.

But, in the end, I think it's just more of a statement on the area. It's not like it really planned for anything different and is still in pretty much "we'll take what we can get" mode....

jbrown84
06-20-2008, 12:20 PM
It's tough because we do need the rooms, and if we say no to this, how long do we have to wait before something better is proposed? Funk had a good proposal and it got nixed. At least this is way on the edge of Bricktown.

betts
06-20-2008, 12:42 PM
It's tough because we do need the rooms, and if we say no to this, how long do we have to wait before something better is proposed? Funk had a good proposal and it got nixed. At least this is way on the edge of Bricktown.

That's the best argument for this type of development. That's why I can't get excited about it. It will be nice to have more rooms, and it's good to have rooms everyone can afford, but this will not have any improving effect on the Bricktown area, except that it will hide some of the really bad looking buildings just north of it.

downtown20
06-20-2008, 03:01 PM
Regardless of a 4 or 5 star discrepancy over the Skirvin... I think we can all agree it is a beautiful hotel and a great asset to OKC. I don't think anyone staying there will have complaints about it. It is good the "lower-end" nice hotels are on the edges of Bricktown... but... it would be nicer to see better hotels moving in. Guess we have to start somewhere... Right!

TheImmortal
06-20-2008, 10:17 PM
Here are two downtown photos I have found for Candlewood Suites, one in downtown Montreal and one is proposed for downtown Terre Haute, IN.

Montreal
http://www.ratestogo.com/Common/ImageGallery/HotelImage.aspx?hid=66671&s=0

Terre Haute
http://www.tribstar.com/local/images_sizedimage_353204718/xl

I think something similar to the second photo would be alright, minus the the colors of the children's museum.

brianinok
06-21-2008, 08:33 AM
They already said they were going to meet or exceed Bricktown standards, so I'm alright with it. It won't have any EIFS if the Bricktown design committee has any say-- witness the Hampton and Holiday Inn.

Secondly, I used to work in a downtown hotel, and trust me, there is no way any current OKC hotel could be a 5-star. There are physical requirements for such that no amount of amenities or service could overcome. 4 star or 4 diamond is nothing to get upset over, though. Most cities our size and larger do not have a 5 star hotel. Not even all Ritz Carltons, Four Seasons, etc. are 5 star hotels-- many are 4 star.

According to the hotel websites:

Renaissance is a 4 diamond
Skirvin Hilton is a 4 diamond
Courtyard Marriott is a 3 diamond

I could not find a rating for the Sheraton, so I assume it is a 3 diamond. The Colcord may not yet be rated. I did not find star ratings in my quick search.

Also, according to article about the Skirvin Hilton, it was the #13 Hilton in the world in customer satisfaction.

BDP
06-23-2008, 08:35 AM
Here are two downtown photos I have found for Candlewood Suites,

Those do provide some hope, especially the second one. I wouldn't even mind something like that children's museum on the first floor. At least it would be another attraction and a better use of street level real estate. However, that looks like it might be a conversion. I doubt we can anything like that with new construction. But again, maybe there is some hope for it. Please, just make it nicer than the Residence Inn and at least it will be a step in the right direction and maybe an indication to futrue developers that we're done with that.

Also, we could use some large banners on the buildings like those in the Indiana pic. I like the street light banners fine, but I think banners like that would make the area look even more active.

jbrown84
06-23-2008, 08:35 PM
I saw in the Oklahoman this is actually on the NE corner of Lincoln and Reno. That is so far out there. Hardly seems like Bricktown.

kevinpate
06-24-2008, 03:57 AM
at least the rooms will have nice views of I-235 or the ball park lights. :)

Maybe it will seem a tad more connected once whatever replaces the vacated collision service goes in, or up, on that property

metro
06-24-2008, 07:34 AM
I drove by the old FOX Collision place the other day, some new auto repair shop already went in. So long for a developer buying it with a better use. At least it's not near as noticeable since they painted it tan and red instead of the electric blue it was.

Pete
06-24-2008, 02:16 PM
I believe that area is outside the purview of the Bricktown design committee.

John
06-24-2008, 03:21 PM
I believe that area is outside the purview of the Bricktown design committee.

I believe Bricktown extended their boundries to 235 on the east.

traxx
06-24-2008, 03:28 PM
I saw in the Oklahoman this is actually on the NE corner of Lincoln and Reno. That is so far out there. Hardly seems like Bricktown.

Seems like an odd location.

Immortal, I like the second pic of the one proposed for IN. It's not just a brick box but has some architectural interest.

ourulz2000
06-25-2008, 08:19 AM
Doesn't seem like an odd location to me. This is just extending Bricktown and making it bigger.

http://i27.tinypic.com/2r7x6if.jpg

traxx
06-25-2008, 09:32 AM
Doesn't seem like an odd location to me. This is just extending Bricktown and making it bigger.

I don't have a problem with extending bricktown, it just seems odd to put it right next to I-235.

ourulz2000
06-25-2008, 09:39 AM
I don't have a problem with extending bricktown, it just seems odd to put it right next to I-235.

I don't think that's a problem. I always thought driving by big buildings right next to the highway was a cool feeling.

sroberts24
06-25-2008, 01:12 PM
i think its cool too, i used to love the old highway that went between that real long building and downtown Ft. Worth, that building was real cool cuz it was right next to the highway, if i'm not mistaken they moved the highway on the other side of that building

ourulz2000
06-25-2008, 01:26 PM
i think its cool too, i used to love the old highway that went between that real long building and downtown Ft. Worth, that building was real cool cuz it was right next to the highway, if i'm not mistaken they moved the highway on the other side of that building

http://i26.tinypic.com/2rdavrb.jpg

I think this is the building you're talking about. It's right off I-30 and I-35W. Not to far from where I live.

sroberts24
06-25-2008, 01:37 PM
thats the one! didn't they have like an indoor paint ball place there at one time?

SpectralMourning
06-28-2008, 12:28 AM
I'm wondering if this will fall within both Bricktown and East Reno corridor zoning restrictions. Anyone remember the SDAT survey a few years ago? http://okc.gov/planning/sdat/sdat_final.pdf

ourulz2000
06-29-2008, 08:10 PM
thats the one! didn't they have like an indoor paint ball place there at one time?

at one point they did. i think it's condos now.

sroberts24
07-01-2008, 09:41 AM
glad to see its condo's now, too bad we can't follow in those foot steps and fill the empty buildings in BT with condos!

Pete
07-10-2008, 07:27 AM
http://olive.newsok.com/Repository/getimage.dll?path=DOK/2008/07/10/22/Img/Pc0220000.jpg

http://olive.newsok.com/Repository/getimage.dll?path=DOK/2008/07/10/19/Img/Pc0190700.jpg

Hotel plan moves forward

A proposed sevenstory, 99-room Candlewood Inn and Suites proposed for Lincoln and Byers won conceptual approval Wednesday from the Bricktown Urban Design Committee. A construction start date for the $12 million project has not been announced. The committee also learned that renovations to canal-front buildings at 2 through 12 E California will begin later this year. Owners John Shelton and Charles Harding have not decided whether to proceed with construction of an adjoining parking garage.

metro
07-10-2008, 07:31 AM
Group wants hotel plan to include sidewalks
Journal Record
July 10, 2008

OKLAHOMA CITY – Urban Neighbors likes a proposed hotel planned for Bricktown, but wants the developers to be mindful of foot traffic as the project moves forward.

Other interests in Bricktown also want the hotel and property to be developed in a way that makes it friendly to pedestrians and makes it easy for hotel guests to access the entertainment district across the street to the west of Lincoln Boulevard.

Last month, a proposal for the hotel development for Dihren and Amit Patel, as Shri Krishnapriya Hospitality LLC, came before the Oklahoma City Urban Renewal Authority to apply as the redevelopers for the site and to purchase a piece of the land owned by Urban Renewal. The site, about 120,000 square feet, is at the northeast corner of East Reno Avenue and South Lincoln Boulevard on the east side of Bricktown.

Pieces of the parcel are owned by the developers, Urban Renewal, and the Oklahoma Department of Transportation. The plan calls for a seven-story, brick-clad Candlewood Suites. But existing storm drains on the site will likely cause the hotel to be pushed back from the street, which has caused some concern that the area might not have an urban look and feel, and not be pedestrian-friendly.

Fred Quinn, of Quinn & Associates, an architecture firm, represented the developer at the Bricktown Urban Design Committee meeting on Wednesday. The site falls under the jurisdiction of the Bricktown committee. Quinn said a second phase of the project could include some out-parcel buildings along Lincoln Boulevard to provide a more urban feel to the project and lend itself to sidewalks.

“We hope that we can provide that along Lincoln,” Quinn said. “But at this time we have not developed that.”Avis Scaramucci, vice chairwoman of the committee and a Bricktown merchant, said as Bricktown continues to grow, it must be pedestrian-friendly, especially to guests at the proposed hotel. “The goal here, I believe, is to expand our community ever mindful that the whole community still needs to work together closely,” she said. “I do see it as very pedestrian because it is important that those people at the (Candlewood) suites feel comfortable and are welcome to cross over and come into Bricktown.

”Jeff Bezdek, a board member of Urban Neighbors, a group of downtown residents, said Urban Neighbors commended the developers for creating a nice bookend to Bricktown on the east, but encouraged them to keep pedestrians in mind, especially as the area can be a link to the Oklahoma River as Lincoln Boulevard connects on the south end with Byers Avenue.

Bezdek also encouraged the developers to work with ODOT about sidewalk master plans for the area, which he said is currently not pedestrian-friendly.“Pedestrian issues are very big on our priority list,” he said. “That area is a pedestrian deficit to Bricktown.”

Pete
07-10-2008, 07:36 AM
It's great we have organizations like the Bricktown Urban Design Committee and Urban Neighbors to look out for the best interest of the community.

It makes me far more comfortable about these types of developments.

AFCM
07-10-2008, 07:51 AM
I only wish the Bricktown Urban Design Committee and Urban Neighbors had as much control south of Reno as they do all the way over at Lincoln and Reno.

Pete
07-10-2008, 07:58 AM
True AFCM but at least we now have these types of groups elsewhere.

I know there is something similar for most of downtown and mid-town. And I think even more people will get involved with planning and design as we gain more people living in the central city.

CuatrodeMayo
07-10-2008, 07:58 AM
That is AWFUL.

Yay for more franchise architecture in Bric,...er...stuccotown.

Where is ground-level retail and restaurants? How very un-urban.

ourulz2000
07-10-2008, 08:24 AM
Bricktown is turning into Edmond. Stucco is taking over.

Pete
07-10-2008, 08:24 AM
It does seem like we have enough of this type of property in that area.

The Hampton Inn, Residence Inn and proposed Holiday Inn Express are all in this same vein -- both architecturally and in price point.

Time to see some boutique hotels and things a bit more up-scale.

metro
07-10-2008, 08:28 AM
I agree, while this is more urban than the Residence Inn, it is still lacking a truly urban feel. I think the Bricktown Design Committee should send it back for redesign.

ourulz2000
07-10-2008, 08:46 AM
I agree, while this is more urban than the Residence Inn, it is still lacking a truly urban feel. I think the Bricktown Design Committee should send it back for redesign.

never going to happen.

kevinpate
07-10-2008, 08:57 AM
I'm going to disagree metro. The more I look at the bird's eye view, it's hard for me to even treat the location as a Bricktown location. Being out past Bass Pro and McD's, plus the added buffer of the convenience store and the auto shop and then the presence of Lincoln Blvd itself, it's simply a hotel that is a reasonable walking distance.

I suspect it'll get more of the we're in town for business and trying to cut costs folks than the we're here for the party, game, concert crowd.

Being just at the far eastern fringe it is more BT than some other places within 5-10 miles out which have, for marketing purposes, laid a tenuous claim to having a BT connection, but not by much.

PLANSIT
07-10-2008, 09:00 AM
The changes would have to come in the form of A) bringing the whole building to front the street. B) Add ground floor retail C) (in fairyland) Add a glass atrium. D) Build the attached garage and use the extra space for future development.

animeGhost
07-11-2008, 11:32 PM
"The Skirvin website says they have shoe shine service... negative. None of the downtown hotels do. If the inspector wanted his shoes shined....BAM.... they are farther from that star."

I was a valet/bell boy for the Renaissance for over a year and we most definitely had shoe shine service (i shined so many shoes :()

Architect2010
07-12-2008, 12:48 AM
Uhhh. But, Buttt, but....

ITS SO UGLY. I can't believe I'm saying this, But I think we should actually put this in the suburbs. They can keep something this ugly. I know, I know, its more hotel rroms for downtown, But I do not like it at all. Its pitiful.

Perhaps we should all send messages to Jim of BUD and wreak havock on his inbox? lol. Don't do that. But we should send him our opinions on this monstrocity.

David Pollard
07-13-2008, 02:30 PM
Ugly doesn't even begin to describe that building. There is a high-rise prision where I live (yes!) that looks just like that, but without the bricks. Sad! I think even the burbs would regurgitate that one!

jbrown84
07-13-2008, 03:02 PM
I'm not sure what else can be done. It's SO far over there and away from the areas where pedestrians go, the idea of it having street front ground floor retail probably wouldn't work. It's hard to really even consider that Bricktown. I'm not sure I do, even if it is officially.

slick
08-02-2008, 10:53 PM
Man, I can't believe this is coming to the OKC downtown area. My family is big on developing hotels, heck, my uncle owns 3-4 Candlewoods. But even he knows, when it comes to downtown areas, think big.
If I can acquire some land downtown, I'm positive I can get my family to invest in something nice, A Loft or Element by Starwood, Hyatt Summerfield Suites, and certainly, more than 99 rooms.
I love to see fellow East Indians do well, and really, this isn't some crap property, however, I would have expected more from the city on this. Regardless, this property will do well down there.

kevinpate
08-03-2008, 11:44 AM
If nothing else, it will make a nice close in spot for rowing teams

plmccordj
08-03-2008, 01:45 PM
Where is this Holiday Inn Express everyone keeps talking about?

slick
08-03-2008, 11:16 PM
Where is this Holiday Inn Express everyone keeps talking about?

Print Snapshot (http://downtownokc.com/Default.aspx?tabid=197&mid=649&SkinSrc=%5BG%5DSkins/_default/No%20Skin&ContainerSrc=%5BG%5DContainers/_default/No%20Container&dnnprintmode=true)

Its the first thing on there, mentions 101 E. Main Street as the address. Looks like its in between E K Gaylord and N Walnut Avenue (north of Spaghetti Warehouse).

jbrown84
08-04-2008, 12:39 PM
They are tearing down the building on the NE corner of Main and Oklahoma to build it. Directly north of City Walk.

slick
08-04-2008, 12:47 PM
According to that link I provided, it mentions that the most of the building will be demolished, and that facade will include brick and a portion of the existing building.

Any idea on why some of the existing building will be reused? Seems odd to me, because I have seen the building and its nothing to look at.

Regardless, the drawing makes the hotel look really nice, its not a typical looking Holiday Inn Express.

jbrown84
08-04-2008, 12:57 PM
There is extensive discussion in other threads. The Design committee was iffy on approving the demolition. It was determined that the building was in too poor shape to be reused, but that the exterior wall was salvagable.

PLANSIT
08-04-2008, 01:02 PM
Surveyors were out last week - said they had to have the data to the engineer by the weekend (August 2 and 3).

Mr. T in OKC
08-05-2008, 10:38 AM
Its not ideal, but it does look better than the pile of dirt that is there now.

jbrown84
08-05-2008, 11:43 AM
I don't see how they can pave over the tracks. Aren't those active rails?