View Full Version : The Fox & Hound

Pages : [1] 2

Pete
06-17-2008, 11:05 AM
I organized an informal class reunion event there this Friday and they did a fantastic job for us.

The place is divided into three large spaces. The middle section has the long, big bar and tons of tables and dozens of TV's. To either side are large rooms that are somewhat separate and the one to the right (the Green Room) is where we had our event.

Amazingly, the manager agreed to block off that entire space for us and only charged us for the three pool tables and shuffle board. That was $50/hour. They didn't require us to buy a food buffet or anything like that, which is quite different than most places. They were happy to allow separate tabs for food & drink.

I told them we might not have over 30 and they were still fine with that. And it turned out we had about 150! Still, they had plenty of servers (I think 4-5 dedicated just to us) and all the orders came out promptly. It was pretty amazing given the chaos of 100+ constantly moving people (very few were sitting down).

And even more surprisingly, that place was absolutely heaving by 8 or 9PM! The other areas were packed and there was still a good crowd when I left well after midnight.

And even though they serve pub food, the pizza I had was quite good. And they had a good beer selection as well.

I'm not big on the Memorial Road restaurants and bars but the Fox & Hound really impressed me. Our event was a blast and far exceeded my expectations.

John
06-17-2008, 01:28 PM
The Fox is always on top of things like that.

Glad you had a successful event, Pete.

Pete
06-17-2008, 01:37 PM
They seem to really be tailored towards these types of gatherings, as they make it really easy. I only reserved that room about 2 weeks in advance, and for a Friday night.

Just thought I'd share my experience for others that might be looking for an event location.

Pete
08-28-2016, 01:14 PM
They closed their OKC location today:

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/fox082816.jpg

The whole place felt like it was frozen in the 80's and there is just too much good competition these days.

Bill Robertson
08-28-2016, 02:49 PM
We used to play pool there two or three times a week. The beer selection wasn't bad or too expensive. The food was good. But business really slowed down the last few years. I really think this was one place that for not much effort or expense could have been made competitive again.

Pete
08-28-2016, 04:23 PM
Yes, they did have a bunch of pool tables but that seems to be something where popularity has waned.

Bill Robertson
08-28-2016, 05:29 PM
Popularity waned because the tables went up to $10 an hour. But that wasn't my point. I could be way wrong but I've believed for some time that a non-smoking, non-breastaraunt, real sports bar & grill with good service and good food could do well on Memorial if done right. No one has tried and I think the Fox could VERY easily be made into such a place.

bradh
08-28-2016, 05:50 PM
did they ever go non-smoking? we used to go there 6 years ago but when other options came around where i didn't need to wash my clothes when I got home we pivoted.

Bill Robertson
08-28-2016, 06:01 PM
No they didn't. Some F&Hs around the country did but ours didn't. There was rumor at F&H that the success of Baker Street going non-smoking meant that F&H would follow but it never happened.

bradh
08-28-2016, 07:43 PM
Yeah the one in Wichita is non-smoking and always busy. I liked the venue and different game options at Fox & Hound, just couldn't stand the stench.

jbkrems
08-28-2016, 08:15 PM
Wow, I remember having dinner there back when their family dining room was non-smoking. This was 12 years ago. Then they changed their policies, made it all smoking, and changed their family dining room to a pool hall. Thus they lost my business.

onthestrip
08-29-2016, 09:20 AM
A sports bar with 90's era TVs and having them placed out of sight lines, along with staying smoking. Cant believe they made it this long.

Easy180
08-29-2016, 11:04 AM
Think the last time I went I was watching OU football play for a National Championship if that tells you anything.

jerrywall
08-29-2016, 11:14 AM
Not to mention the gap of time when they lost their liquor license.... that can't be easy to recover from.

Richard at Remax
08-30-2016, 09:49 AM
A bartender friend of mine said the parent company went bankrupt and all locations were closing. Doing a google search pretty much confirms that

bradh
08-30-2016, 10:57 AM
Boy that's a shame in Wichita, the Fox & Hound there was always hopping and in a prime real estate spot (Waterfront on 13th and Webb)

icecold
08-30-2016, 03:41 PM
Boy that's a shame in Wichita, the Fox & Hound there was always hopping and in a prime real estate spot (Waterfront on 13th and Webb)

Family lives in College Station and would always hit up the Fox when down there. Always hoppin, night and day difference to the one in OKC.

progressiveboy
08-30-2016, 06:52 PM
Saw this article in the DMN. Gives a little bit of insight.

http://www.dallasnews.com/business/restaurants-hotels/20160830-fox-and-hound-parent-shutters-locations-as-bankruptcy-case-proceeds.ece

White Peacock
08-31-2016, 07:18 AM
I spent a good bit of time (and money) at Fox & Hound; my wife worked there for a while back when we were dating, and I was a smoker, drinker, and ate anything that was in front of me back then, so it was a good hangout spot. But when you quit smoking, smoky places like that are removed from the menu, so I can see why it didn't have as big of an appeal as it would have had years prior. They had great pub food and a fantastic drink menu, but alternatives have been popping up too rapidly for them to keep up lately. I saw their parking lot empty pretty often once Twin Peaks opened.

Bill Robertson
08-31-2016, 01:20 PM
I spent a good bit of time (and money) at Fox & Hound; my wife worked there for a while back when we were dating, and I was a smoker, drinker, and ate anything that was in front of me back then, so it was a good hangout spot. But when you quit smoking, smoky places like that are removed from the menu, so I can see why it didn't have as big of an appeal as it would have had years prior. They had great pub food and a fantastic drink menu, but alternatives have been popping up too rapidly for them to keep up lately. I saw their parking lot empty pretty often once Twin Peaks opened.What I would like to see is someone try a "clothed Twin Peaks". A place with tons of TVs that they'll put on any sport you want. Decent food, service and atmosphere. No smoking. And somewhere I can tell coworkers, family and such that I'm a regular at without them looking at me funny and telling me I'm a pervert. I'd be there daily. Until that happens I'm a regular at Twin Peaks no matter what anyone thinks.

Pete
08-31-2016, 01:26 PM
What I would like to see is someone try a "clothed Twin Peaks". A place with tons of TVs that they'll put on any sport you want. Decent food, service and atmosphere. No smoking. And somewhere I can tell coworkers, family and such that I'm a regular at without them looking at me funny and telling me I'm a pervert. I'd be there daily. Until that happens I'm a regular at Twin Peaks no matter what anyone thinks.

I was just talking about this to several people...

How OKC -- despite the scores and scores of new restaurants and bars and the huge local appetite for sports -- really doesn't have many/any pure sports bars.

bradh
08-31-2016, 02:05 PM
I really like Pub W for that. Republic is that on the high end.

Bill Robertson
08-31-2016, 02:41 PM
I really like Pub W for that. Republic is that on the high end.
I'm a very simple, non-highclass guy. We go to Pub W some but it's A: A higher level food than true sports bar food and B: You can't sit at the bar and see 6 TVs on different things right there in front of you. It's not really a sports bar.

bradh
08-31-2016, 02:57 PM
BJ's is not a sports bar, but sitting at the bar you can typically see a lot of screens, especially if they have the big one split up

Bill Robertson
08-31-2016, 03:28 PM
No it isn't. It fits with Pub W. That's the point. The desire to have something that's not just a bunch of TVs that can be put on sports but an actual "clothed" sports bar.

jerrywall
08-31-2016, 03:32 PM
I was just talking about this to several people...

How OKC -- despite the scores and scores of new restaurants and bars and the huge local appetite for sports -- really doesn't have many/any pure sports bars.

I think it's because there are so many options for watching sports.... just about every restaurant and bar shows sports, that I think a "pure" sports bar would have trouble competing.

I miss Jimmy Johnson's 3 Ring though.

Bill Robertson
08-31-2016, 03:39 PM
I think it's because there are so many options for watching sports.... just about every restaurant and bar shows sports, that I think a "pure" sports bar would have trouble competing.

I miss Jimmy Johnson's 3 Ring though.That's possible but I would be there.

bradh
08-31-2016, 03:43 PM
So I guess around here, you're talking a Hudsons? In Topeka, there's a place called Reed's that probably fits.

Bill Robertson
08-31-2016, 03:54 PM
So I guess around here, you're talking a Hudsons? In Topeka, there's a place called Reed's that probably fits.
Nope Hudsons doesn't have enough TVs and all but a couple are smoking. Picture Twin Peaks with the servers in jeans and T-shirts

sooner88
08-31-2016, 04:03 PM
Honestly the Garage (at least in Midtown) is one of, if not the best, sports bar options in the city.

I would love to see something like the Varsity reopen. Wish they could figure out something for the Dodger's stadium.

Pete
08-31-2016, 04:08 PM
^ I agree about the Midtown Garage.

Pub W... Yeah, I guess that's a solid sports bar.

Republic... Pretty much but it's more of a restaurant than anything else.

Is there anywhere you can go in OKC that has the full NFL, MLB, NBA packages?

sooner88
08-31-2016, 04:19 PM
^ I agree about the Midtown Garage.

Pub W... Yeah, I guess that's a solid sports bar.

Republic... Pretty much but it's more of a restaurant than anything else.

Is there anywhere you can go in OKC that has the full NFL, MLB, NBA packages?

BWW Im pretty sure

bradh
08-31-2016, 08:37 PM
Twin Peaks with clothes? Well, that's Pub W, or any other number of bars you deem as too high end.

Thomas Vu
08-31-2016, 11:15 PM
Does D&B count? I saw the pac/mayweather fight there.

Bill Robertson
09-01-2016, 07:10 AM
Twin Peaks with clothes? Well, that's Pub W, or any other number of bars you deem as too high end.Not so much high end as just not a sports bar. We love Pub W for what it is. Pub W has maybe 8 TVs in the bar area. You can see maybe three at one time without turning around. TP has two to three times that.

White Peacock
09-01-2016, 07:12 AM
I've always had good luck getting places like Louie's, Old Chicago, and the Garage to change a TV over to an NHL game for me, even if I'm the only person in the building watching it.

Urbanized
09-01-2016, 07:24 AM
FWIW, Hudson's Public House in Bricktown and Urban Johnnie in Deep Deuce both have a ton of screens, great sight lines and are non-smoking with great beer selections and food menus. Not sure of the league packages they have; I do all of my serious game watching in person or at home!

Thomas Vu
09-01-2016, 07:28 AM
FWIW, Hudson's Public House in Bricktown and Urban Johnnie in Deep Deuce both have a ton of screens, great sight lines and are non-smoking with great beer selections and food menus. Not sure of the league packages they have; I do all of my serious game watching in person or at home!

They have basic cable. Been disappointed many times. If it's not fox sports SW or espn, they don't have it.

Bill Robertson
09-01-2016, 07:37 AM
They have basic cable. Been disappointed many times. If it's not fox sports SW or espn, they don't have it.Another part of being a real sports bar. Can you sit in one spot and see all 6 NFL (or X number of NBA, MLB, etc.) games being played at that minute. If so it's a sports bar. If not it's a bar & grill with TVs.

jerrywall
09-01-2016, 08:11 AM
Not sure of the league packages they have; I do all of my serious game watching in person or at home!

That's the big difference and one thing I've run into since I cut the cords a couple of years ago. I have to call around and check where to go to see stuff. It's tricky, especially in Edmond/N. OKC. BWW is decent. Also Skinny Slims will often get the pay per views (MMA). I'll probably use Hudson's Public House this football season.

dankrutka
09-05-2016, 11:15 PM
What I would like to see is someone try a "clothed Twin Peaks". A place with tons of TVs that they'll put on any sport you want. Decent food, service and atmosphere. No smoking.

As other have suggested, you seem to be describing Buffalo Wild Wings to a tee. What am I missing? I'm interested to see why you wouldn't see this as a great option. It's pretty much the only non-local restaurant I go to and it's because of the TVs (when I want to see a game no one has; they have all sports packages) and atmosphere.

Pete
09-06-2016, 06:29 AM
As other have suggested, you seem to be describing Buffalo Wild Wings to a tee. What am I missing? I'm interested to see why you wouldn't see this as a great option. It's pretty much the only non-local restaurant I go to and it's because of the TVs (when I want to see a game no one has; they have all sports packages) and atmosphere.

The only one out on the NW side is cobbled together in shopping center and their bar area is smoking.

Bill Robertson
09-06-2016, 10:21 AM
The only one out on the NW side is cobbled together in shopping center and their bar area is smoking.The bars in BWW are smoking. Non-smoking was one of my qualifications and the bar areas of BWW are the only areas that would qualify as a Sports Bar.

dankrutka
09-06-2016, 01:25 PM
The bars in BWW are smoking. Non-smoking was one of my qualifications and the bar areas of BWW are the only areas that would qualify as a Sports Bar.

I go Buffalo Wild Wings all the time and most are definitely non-smoking in the bar areas. I can't speak for the one in NW OKC, but the one I go to in Texas and about the last five others I have been to have all been 100% non-smoking. My wife hates smoking more than any person I know and there is zero chance she would step into any place that allowed smoking. That's unfortunate if OKC BWWs are different.

I'm not sure how all of a BWWs would not be considered a sports bar though. It's literally just tables and TVs everywhere with sports on them 24/7.

Roger S
09-06-2016, 01:29 PM
That's unfortunate if OKC BWWs are different.

I've been in 5 different OKC area locations and all of them allow smoking in the bar.

Bill Robertson
09-06-2016, 01:40 PM
I go Buffalo Wild Wings all the time and most are definitely non-smoking in the bar areas. I can't speak for the one in NW OKC, but the one I go to in Texas and about the last five others I have been to have all been 100% non-smoking. My wife hates smoking more than any person I know and there is zero chance she would step into any place that allowed smoking. That's unfortunate if OKC BWWs are different.

I'm not sure how all of a BWWs would not be considered a sports bar though. It's literally just tables and TVs everywhere with sports on them 24/7.One, the BBW bars at all the BWWs I know of are smoking. Two, the dining areas are as I said before, a bar & grill with TVs, not a. sports bar. In fact, I'm sitting at the bar at the West OKC Twin Peaks right now. I can clearly see 8 TVs from here without turning my head more than approx. 30 degrees. I can read scores, fine print, scrolling tickers, etc. from here on all of them. All have different sports on them even on a slow sports day. I'm also taking up one seat which I feel comfortable doing at a bar. In a bar & grill with TVs I would have to take up a table which I don't like doing and is unfair to the server if I'm going to be there 3 or 4 hours.

Pete
09-06-2016, 01:41 PM

I'm not sure how all of a BWWs would not be considered a sports bar though. It's literally just tables and TVs everywhere with sports on them 24/7.

Completely different franchisee(s) in Texas and the OKC area.

warreng88
09-06-2016, 03:59 PM
One, the BBW bars at all the BWWs I know of are smoking. Two, the dining areas are as I said before, a bar & grill with TVs, not a. sports bar. In fact, I'm sitting at the bar at the West OKC Twin Peaks right now. I can clearly see 8 TVs from here without turning my head more than approx. 30 degrees. I can read scores, fine print, scrolling tickers, etc. from here on all of them. All have different sports on them even on a slow sports day. I'm also taking up one seat which I feel comfortable doing at a bar. In a bar & grill with TVs I would have to take up a table which I don't like doing and is unfair to the server if I'm going to be there 3 or 4 hours.

I am still trying to understand the difference in what you consider a sports bar and what other people are arguing is a sports bar. I consider BWW a sports bar, BJ's, Republic and even Louie's to some extent. Did you consider Coach's a sports bar or a BBQ place with TV's? Not trying to be a d!ck, just confused and trying to understand.

Pete
09-06-2016, 04:02 PM
^

I would say all those places are restaurants first.

Sports bars are mostly or entirely bars and typically buy the full NFL, MLB and NBA packages.

The reason most people don't see the difference here is because we don't really have any, apart from BWW.

Bill Robertson
09-06-2016, 04:41 PM
^

I would say all those places are restaurants first.

Sports bars are mostly or entirely bars and typically buy the full NFL, MLB and NBA packages.

The reason most people don't see the difference here is because we don't really have any, apart from BWW.
Thanks Pete.

jerrywall
09-06-2016, 05:01 PM
Does Lumpys still allow smoking?

Pete
09-06-2016, 05:05 PM
Does Lumpys still allow smoking?

Ugh.

I stuck my head in there a few months ago not even thinking about the smoking thing and was hit with a wall of smoke and never even stepped fully in the place.

jerrywall
09-06-2016, 05:11 PM
Yup. I can't handle smoking places any more. So many smoke free options have spoiled me.

dankrutka
09-06-2016, 07:25 PM
Unless the OKC ones are different, Buffalo Wild Wings has every pro sports package and every space on every wall covered in TVs exclusively programmed for sports (aside from a TV occassionally for handheld trivia). Do some people come for their wings? Sure. But BWWs is constantly packed with geographically displaced fans catching their teams becaues its one nowhere else, people packing in to watch UFC, or just to watch the most popular local team. When the NCAA tourney starts people pack BWWs all day to watch games. BWWs always has the audio on for a sports game, not music. Sports drives the concept and feel of the place. I actually can't think of a concept more organized around watching sports than BWWs.

Unfortunately, maybe there is a difference between the Oklahoma BWWs and those in other states. I haven't been to one in Oklahoma in a while. Maybe that's the disconnect here.

jerrywall
09-06-2016, 07:43 PM
^ the disconnect is mainly the smoking. Oklahoma is a bit behind on nonsmoking facilities. At BWW I can sit in the family/cafe area and watch games ok, but the best viewing is in the bar IMO, and it's all smokey n

ctchandler
09-06-2016, 07:46 PM

Dankrutka,
I don't know how you could call the one in Midwest City a "sports bar", I spotted a space where they didn't have a television! What a shame. I pointed it out to them but they haven't corrected the problem. They only have about twenty tvs.
C. T.
p.s. Don't know how to put a smile on my post, but I think you know I'm being facetious.

Thomas Vu
09-06-2016, 09:58 PM
Sidebar: with so many tv's it's understandable that they can't have the volume on for all of them. I wish they put the subs on though.

Diesel54
09-07-2016, 06:22 AM
Sidebar: with so many tv's it's understandable that they can't have the volume on for all of them. I wish they put the subs on though.

http://www.tunity.com/

Bill Robertson
09-07-2016, 06:31 AM
Let me go back to my original wish for a non-smoking, non-T&A sports bar in OKC. The bar areas of BWW are smoking. Thus they are excluded from my wish for a non-smoking sports bar. The dining areas are just that, dining. Not a bar at all. I love their wings, beer selection is fantastic and they actually do probably have enough TVs and in the bar area. But the bar areas in OKC's BWWs are smoking. If the bar areas became non-smoking BWW would probably be as close to what I'm talking about as anywhere.

Bill Robertson
09-07-2016, 07:26 AM
Here's a link to a place in KC that's one of the best sports bars I've been to. Notice the wall of TVs. And the wall opposite the bar and under the second floor is a row of TVs just like the bar wall sans the huge TVs.
http://plaza.810zone.com/