View Full Version : Light rail and urban planning/development

bornhere
06-17-2008, 07:12 AM
I thought about posting this in the 'Union Station' topic, then decided it should be separated from the debate about the rail yard.

Anyway, here's a story from Arizona about the impact light rail planning has had in Phoenix, Tempe and Mesa.

Light rail is six months from operation, but the transit system's impact on the Valley's real-estate market has been in full swing with new condos, office buildings and mixed-use developments rising throughout metro Phoenix

Critics, however, say that the transit system has put a burden on taxpayers and that construction of the line has shut down businesses.

More here. (http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/business/articles/0617biz-lightrail0617.html)

The Old Downtown Guy
06-17-2008, 07:59 AM
This is the same story heard again and again from cities that have embraced a move toward rail transit and a story that will be repeted in OKC as soon as the route of the line between Norman and Gutherie is established. I wouldn't be suprised if land speculation hasn't already begun around particularly likely and attractive future station locations that were identified in the recently completed fixed guideway study.

BG918
06-17-2008, 03:53 PM
I mentioned the same thing in this thread:

http://www.okctalk.com/okc-metro-area-talk/8316-okc-commuter-rail.html?highlight=rail

VERY important to get the route and station located pegged as soon as we can so these transit-oriented developments (TOD's) can get started. The public makes the investment and the private investment in the form of TOD's comes later after, or some cases before, the first tracks are laid. The TOD's make the system more than just getting people from point A to point B...

HOT ROD
06-17-2008, 08:47 PM
here-here

Spartan
06-18-2008, 03:20 AM
This is the same story heard again and again from cities that have embraced a move toward rail transit and a story that will be repeted in OKC as soon as the route of the line between Norman and Gutherie is established. I wouldn't be suprised if land speculation hasn't already begun around particularly likely and attractive future station locations that were identified in the recently completed fixed guideway study.

Unfortunately I think we can all agree that the OKC Fixed Guideway Study was a joke and nothing more. The only thing funnier than a proposal for a commuter rail system that just goes from I-235/I-44 down to Crossroads Mall is the actual aftermath of this study, which we are already far behind schedule in terms of. So I don't know which could have been worse, that study, or the resulting aftermath in the years since the study. You be the judge.