View Full Version : Bars/restaurants that are sorely missed

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7

grantgeneral78
03-22-2009, 07:21 PM
burger brothers...beans, potato salad, hot links...yumm yumm

BB37
03-22-2009, 09:30 PM
Can't believe nobody's mentioned the original El Charrito's on Paseo. Back when I was a kid, they were about the only place in town for Mexican food. It was never the same after El Chico absorbed them.

Also, Across the Street, across from Baptist Hospital where Panera is now; Johnnie's menu is almost a carbon copy of them -- went there often in high school.

And let's not forget Shotgun Sam's at 39th and May. Went there many Friday nights after football games @ Taft Stadium.

Prunepicker
03-22-2009, 09:49 PM
Can't believe nobody's mentioned the original El Charrito's on Paseo.

I believe that El Charrito's was mentioned at the beginning of this thread

Generals64
03-23-2009, 04:55 PM
By Far, Nicolosis Italian food is sorely missed by many. No one has ever come up with their Lasagna flavor....

Prunepicker
03-23-2009, 06:58 PM
By Far, Nicolosis Italian food is sorely missed by many. No one has ever come
up with their Lasagna flavor...

One of the Nicolosi kids became a veterinarian. I hope that's not a clue to
the flavor! Kinda like El Gato's Tamale's in Cushing back in the 30's. Dad said
they were the best, but the health inspectors... well, you can guess...

grantgeneral78
03-23-2009, 07:45 PM
I miss TOOTS BBQ.......if you never ate there you missed out!

Prunepicker
03-23-2009, 09:39 PM
I miss TOOTS BBQ... if you never ate there you missed out!

Toot's BBQ? Did that have anything to do with their beans?

papaOU
03-23-2009, 09:59 PM
By Far, Nicolosis Italian food is sorely missed by many. No one has ever come up with their Lasagna flavor....

Nicolosis!! It was the best for many years.

papaOU
03-23-2009, 10:02 PM
Los Tacos is back at 44th and May. Just as good as ever.

OKCisOK4me
03-23-2009, 10:48 PM
I tried to look through to see if either of these were on the list. I saw no mention. Forgive me if there was.

I've heard this first place exists in Mustang but I'm not going all the way down there. Harry Bears, used to be in the building where Groovy's is now. I loved their Upside Down shakes when I was a kid!

This second place is more of a fast food joint than a restaurant, but, Taco Tico was tha bomb! I know they still have a location in Guymon, but once again, that is too far to go as well...

SOUTHSIDE GIRL
03-24-2009, 07:32 AM
The Tastee Freeze at SE 29th and Santa Fe had the best fresh cut fries, burgers and lime-aides.

Generals64
03-24-2009, 02:22 PM
The Tastee Freeze at SE 29th and Santa Fe had the best fresh cut fries, burgers and lime-aides.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
you are a Soputhside Girl but you forgot one thing on the list...Cherry...Lime-Aid....they had a Chili Cheeseburger there that was great for about 2 hours. then Whew...they didn't even make Zantac back then....

Generals64
03-24-2009, 02:51 PM
Anyone remember the Trianon Ballroom??? was on Walker I think and they also gave Arthur Murray dance lessons there...USG60 you probably hung out there...Right????

USG '60
03-24-2009, 03:34 PM
No. I always wanted to go to Kotche's but I was afraid to.

CarltonsKeeper
03-24-2009, 06:24 PM
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
you are a Soputhside Girl but you forgot one thing on the list...Cherry...Lime-Aid....they had a Chili Cheeseburger there that was great for about 2 hours. then Whew...they didn't even make Zantac back then....
The same gal that had the Tastee Freeze across from the D & D drive in (Gene was her name) ran the one on 29th too, she may have owned it! Vickie Merrick's aunt was who it was, she married Vic Jefferson!! I asked Vickie out one time when she was working at the one across from D & D or Tripple A or whichever one you remember, her aunt Gene so NO WAY, never did like the gal after that!! Their all my neighbors at the lake now and it's a pretty big joke!!

Bobby821
03-25-2009, 10:11 AM
I can't believe Shipman's has not been mentioned. How about Sussey's? I really miss the burger joints in and around downtown, Chick's Burger Bar, Cherries...... What was the name of the rootbeer stand at 13th and Broadway?

Shipman's cafe over on S. Robinson?

Bobby821
03-25-2009, 10:13 AM
I miss Neptunes on penn...they had the best bread yumm yumm

Was that italion dressing they sprayed on the bread from those spray bottles? There was also a Neptunes on S. Western one was a little north of 59th next to the old Braums that is now a mower shop and another further south at about 72nd and Western it is now a Monument place.

Prunepicker
03-25-2009, 10:37 AM
Shipman's cafe over on S. Robinson?
The last time I got to eat at Shipman's was on S. Robinson. @1981.

Generals64
03-25-2009, 03:56 PM
Was that italion dressing they sprayed on the bread from those spray bottles? There was also a Neptunes on S. Western one was a little north of 59th next to the old Braums that is now a mower shop and another further south at about 72nd and Western it is now a Monument place.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------The Monument place was originally the home of the "Twitty Burger"...

Bobby821
03-25-2009, 07:38 PM
The last time I got to eat at Shipman's was on S. Robinson. @1981.

The building is still there just past the underpass for the RR tracks it is in pretty bad shape though.

Bobby821
03-25-2009, 07:39 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------The Monument place was originally the home of the "Twitty Burger"...

was before my time I remember it being a Neptune submarine sandwich place.

Generals64
03-25-2009, 08:12 PM
was before my time I remember it being a Neptune submarine sandwich place.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
the original Building and the parking canopy made a C T....for?.....Conway Twitty...When he showed me the blueprints i busted out laughing. I thought he was kidding...hurt his feelings...still thought it was a dumb idea....so did he about 2 years later.....Great person though....

Bobby821
03-25-2009, 09:31 PM
------------------------------------------------------------------------
the original Building and the parking canopy made a C T....for?.....Conway Twitty...When he showed me the blueprints i busted out laughing. I thought he was kidding...hurt his feelings...still thought it was a dumb idea....so did he about 2 years later.....Great person though....

Wish I could have seen it.

Generals64
03-26-2009, 07:24 AM
Wish I could have seen it.

__________________________________________________ _________________
The T is there still and is used for the offices of the Monument company. The C was angled around for canopy parking.....He (Conway Twitty) had about 6-7 of the Twitty Burger restaurants but, this was the only one with the configuraton like that.

Prunepicker
03-27-2009, 12:14 AM
The T is there still and is used for the offices of the Monument company. The
C was angled around for canopy parking... He (Conway Twitty) had about 6-7
of the Twitty Burger restaurants but, this was the only one with the
configuration like that.

Are you talking about the T-Bar where the Split T was?

If not... never mind.

Soonergirl26 has a bunch of explaining on Saturday... I'm slow but I'm old...
a WHOLE lot older than the incredibly young Soonergirl26 [I'm trying to dig
out of a whole I dug a month ago... a really deeeeeeeep whole]

but I'm not as old as Generals... but... or most of the others...

I'm digging a deep hole, aren't I... a really deep hole...

help...

Generals64
03-27-2009, 09:16 AM
Are you talking about the T-Bar where the Split T was?

If not... never mind.

Soonergirl26 has a bunch of explaining on Saturday... I'm slow but I'm old...
a WHOLE lot older than the incredibly young Soonergirl26 [I'm trying to dig
out of a whole I dug a month ago... a really deeeeeeeep whole]

but I'm not as old as Generals... but... or most of the others...

I'm digging a deep hole, aren't I... a really deep hole...

help...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Split T....Gimme a break.....T as in Twitty Burger.....

Prunepicker
03-27-2009, 11:10 AM
Split T... Gimme a break... T as in Twitty Burger...

I don't remember ever going to Twitty's. My favorite burger was the
Ceasar Buger at the Patio.

Generals64
03-27-2009, 11:13 AM
I don't remember ever going to Twitty's. My favorite burger was the
Ceasar Buger at the Patio.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
No burger is as good as the one's at the Hamburger Inn in Ardmore...Been there since day one....you know before dirt....

CarltonsKeeper
03-31-2009, 06:10 PM
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
No burger is as good as the one's at the Hamburger Inn in Ardmore...Been there since day one....you know before dirt....
Did you know that Ardmore, Ok was where the original "idea" and the actual "onion burger" originated??? Most people think El Reno but it was at that little cafe in Armore! At least I read that on the Internet, so I guess it's gospel....

CarltonsKeeper
03-31-2009, 06:14 PM
Is there anyone out there that has been to or EVEN heard of the "Spanish Rest" bar? It was and partially is at the dead end of Meridian at S.W. 159th (almost to the river). I was there today in fact. They have moved houses in around it and someone owns the property but left the standing stucko type building with the faded original name still showing! I doubt if the Ok Historical Society is very interested!

Generals64
04-01-2009, 01:23 PM
Is there anyone out there that has been to or EVEN heard of the "Spanish Rest" bar? It was and partially is at the dead end of Meridian at S.W. 159th (almost to the river). I was there today in fact. They have moved houses in around it and someone owns the property but left the standing stucko type building with the faded original name still showing! I doubt if the Ok Historical Society is very interested!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey, get old Silver out and let's go to Ardmore...I think the Hamburger Inn joint is the best in the state......My mom said they ate there as kids and that was a Loooooooong time ago....

SOUTHSIDE GIRL
04-01-2009, 03:09 PM
If you have never been to Meers Okla and had a Meers burger you should go.
It's in SW Okla around Medicine Park The serve the burger in a pie plate

Generals64
04-01-2009, 03:43 PM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Better than that...Girl....they serve the Homemade Ice Cream and Cherry cobbler in a huge bowl....Do they still Hamburgers??????Oh yeah, they do my wife makes me eat something besides the ICE CREAM....Prunepicker would go crazier if he knew this.....Yes, Mears is a great place to go.....

CarltonsKeeper
04-01-2009, 08:24 PM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Better than that...Girl....they serve the Homemade Ice Cream and Cherry cobbler in a huge bowl....Do they still Hamburgers??????Oh yeah, they do my wife makes me eat something besides the ICE CREAM....Prunepicker would go crazier if he knew this.....Yes, Mears is a great place to go.....
What do you think of those 8" pie pan's and Long Horn Meat? Mears is a neat place to go, but once was enough for me. If you haven't ever been there it's an old mining camp shack, and you can sure tell how stable it is when you walk across the floor!!

Prunepicker
04-01-2009, 09:24 PM
If you have never been to Meers Okla and had a Meersburger you should go.
It's in SW Okla around Medicine Park They serve the burger in a pie plate.

The Meers building is something like the oldest building in Oklahoma, or something like that. It's pretty good.

Here's the website I didn't read (http://www.meersstore.com/)

papaOU
04-01-2009, 10:58 PM

Great buffalo burgers as well!!:chef:

papaOU
04-01-2009, 11:02 PM
Anyone remember eating at Garlands in the 500 block of SW 29? They had a large marlin on the wall. Don't know if it was real or a replica.

Generals64
04-02-2009, 07:04 AM
Anyone remember eating at Garlands in the 500 block of SW 29? They had a large marlin on the wall. Don't know if it was real or a replica.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
O.K. you win the prize for today....I had forgotten all about Garland's Restaurant....and I do remember the Marlin or whatever that was on the wall...
How about the old Dairy Queen that was North of Capitol Hill High School...I'm sure you guys remember that one.....and then the old Cattlemen's Cafeteria in Downtown Capitol Hill????or well, next to the Knob Hill theater....

SOUTHSIDE GIRL
04-02-2009, 07:31 AM
Yea, I remember all 3 of these place

twinkles
04-03-2009, 09:02 PM
I may have missed it, but I don't think anyone has mentioned Tony's Via Roma - the old one on NW Expressway near May Avenue. I loved their toasted ravioli.

Does anyone remember Nick's?? It was a sandwich place; it seems like the name might have been Nick's Imported Meats or something like that. Only was there one time in the mid 70's, but can't find a trace of it. It might have been around midtown; not sure. I wasn't driving.

Just thinking about the old Der Dutchman's brings a tear to our eyes. I think I enjoyed every meal I had at Der Dutchman's. Never tried the frogs legs, though.

Prunepicker
04-04-2009, 08:47 PM
O.K. you win the prize for today... I had forgotten all about Garland's
Restaurant... and I do remember the Marlin or whatever that was on the
wall...

I mentioned this quite a while back on the Southside Memories thread.
Garland's was one of my favorite places. A real hole in the wall with great
food. I liked the smorgasbord.

Prunepicker
04-04-2009, 08:51 PM
Does anyone remember Nick's? It was a sandwich place; it seems like the
name might have been Nick's Imported Meats or something like that. Only was
there one time in the mid 70's, but can't find a trace of it. It might have been
around midtown; not sure. I wasn't driving.

Nick's was incredible and ate there almost every Friday. The pastrami
sandwiches were my favorite. It was on N. Western and one block north of
23rd. The building is still there on the east side of the street.

papaOU
04-04-2009, 09:42 PM
Nick's was incredible and ate there almost every Friday. The pastrami
sandwiches were my favorite. It was on N. Western and one block north of
23rd. The building is still there on the east side of the street.

There was another location at Grand and N. May. Nick's had the best meatball sandwich. A real get it all over your face meal!!

twinkles
04-05-2009, 06:08 AM
Another place I'm remembering (from the 60's, this time) is Pulliam's barbecue. Ribs with plenty of sauce, with Wonder bread, and wrapped up in butcher paper. One of the few places my parents would spend their food money for "pre-made" food.

CarltonsKeeper
04-05-2009, 06:36 AM
There was another location at Grand and N. May. Nick's had the best meatball sandwich. A real get it all over your face meal!!
Wasn't that called Nick's Import Co. and well known for their Muffaletta sandwich or am I dreaming????

Prunepicker
04-05-2009, 11:56 AM
Wasn't that called Nick's Import Co. and well known for their Muffaletta
sandwich or am I dreaming?

You're right! The menu said, "A meal for 4 or a feast for 2!"

bluedogok
04-05-2009, 03:32 PM
I liked Tony's Italian Specialties at NW 29th & Penn. It was still open when I moved to Austin, I was going to take my wife there one time when we were back in OKC and it was closed.

CarltonsKeeper
04-05-2009, 05:23 PM
You're right! The menu said, "A meal for 4 or a feast for 2!"
That little joint was nothing but GOOOOOOOOOD!! Use to like to go there back in the early 70's and split a Muffaletta for lunch with a tall bottle of Dr. Pepper! It doesn't take much to amuse me....

Prunepicker
04-05-2009, 07:42 PM
I liked Tony's Italian Specialties at NW 29th & Penn. It was still open when I
moved to Austin, I was going to take my wife there one time when we were
back in OKC and it was closed.

The food was great and the juke box had the best music i.e. big band,
Sinatra, Cole...

papaOU
04-05-2009, 08:05 PM
I liked Tony's Italian Specialties at NW 29th & Penn. It was still open when I moved to Austin, I was going to take my wife there one time when we were back in OKC and it was closed.

The best linguini and clam sauce ever!!

CarltonsKeeper
04-05-2009, 08:21 PM
Did you know that Ardmore, Ok was where the original "idea" and the actual "onion burger" originated??? Most people think El Reno but it was at that little cafe in Armore! At least I read that on the Internet, so I guess it's gospel....
Surely there's someone out there who remembers the "Spanish Rest" - it was the roughest bar in south Okc. Dead end of Meridian at the river, had quite a few killings there and a boat load of stabbings! USG60 should remember it?

USG '60
04-06-2009, 07:33 AM
Spanish Rest was mythic, talked about in hushed tones. Some years after highschool I actually saw it for the first time and in daylight of all things. Naturally it tarnished the myth. But still it's name raises the hair on the back of my neck.

FRISKY
04-06-2009, 08:31 AM
Surely there's someone out there who remembers the "Spanish Rest" - it was the roughest bar in south Okc. Dead end of Meridian at the river, had quite a few killings there and a boat load of stabbings! USG60 should remember it?Was it a smallish building on the north side of the street?

Bobby821
04-06-2009, 08:33 AM
What about Fox and Horn on S. Western? anyone have any memories of this unique place? The building is still there it is a Dr's office now.

FRISKY
04-06-2009, 08:33 AM
I'm surprised no one has mentioned The Black Brick...simply because it was unusual.

Bobby821
04-06-2009, 08:36 AM
There was also Blacks on Western north of SW 29th street was on the west side of Western.

CarltonsKeeper
04-06-2009, 08:39 AM
Was it a smallish building on the north side of the street?
It's still there, 1-44 south to 149th and then west to Meridian. South on Meridian to the dead end. There is a house etc. but go in the drive and on the left is the "Spanish Rest." You can still read the faded painted name on the front of the building! Use to be the place NOT to go!! If I remember right, back in the late 50's maybe early 60's it had dirt floors, probably still does.

FRISKY
04-06-2009, 09:40 AM
It's still there, 1-44 south to 149th and then west to Meridian. South on Meridian to the dead end. There is a house etc. but go in the drive and on the left is the "Spanish Rest." You can still read the faded painted name on the front of the building! Use to be the place NOT to go!! If I remember right, back in the late 50's maybe early 60's it had dirt floors, probably still does.I used to get custom made wooden propellers from a business in that area. I think it was called Aeroprop. Is it still there?

papaOU
04-06-2009, 03:12 PM
It's still there, 1-44 south to 149th and then west to Meridian. South on Meridian to the dead end. There is a house etc. but go in the drive and on the left is the "Spanish Rest." You can still read the faded painted name on the front of the building! Use to be the place NOT to go!! If I remember right, back in the late 50's maybe early 60's it had dirt floors, probably still does.

It was one of those places where when you entered they checked you to see if you were packin' a gun. If not they would lend you one.:elmer3:

papaOU
04-06-2009, 03:16 PM
I'm surprised no one has mentioned The Black Brick...simply because it was unusual.

Well if you are going to throw-in the Black Brick I am going to add The Deli and the Yellow Sub since they were on Paseo:banana: