View Full Version : CNN: Oklahoma's painful car culture

venture
06-12-2008, 01:44 PM
On CNN today:

Expansive Oklahoma gets expensive to its drivers - Jun. 12, 2008 (http://money.cnn.com/2008/06/12/news/economy/cities_oil/index.htm?cnn=yes)

Residents used to 70-mile commutes turn to carpooling, public transport as gas hovers at $4 a gallon. Survey ranks 2 Oklahoma cities as vulnerable.

Tulsa Ranked #49 and Oklahoma City #50 in the Top 50 cities ranked on their ability to whether an oil crisis.

Welcome to our urban planning of being extremely spread out biting us in the rear.

Tom Elmore
06-12-2008, 01:57 PM
But just as long as the Greater OKC Chamber has a new HQ, I think we'll be alright -----

Don't you?

TOM ELMORE
NATI - Solutions to the Nation's Transportation Problems (http://www.advancedtransport.org)

soonerguru
06-12-2008, 08:49 PM
I talked to an insider with the Chamber recently. They aren't seriously considering rail. First things first: Christy Everest and Clay Bennett get what they want.

Why in the Fock has Mick waited so long to start Maps 3? I understood what he was saying a few years ago about ensuring the success of Maps 2, but he's waiting too long.

We need to start that yesterday. The momentum WILL NOT keep up if we can't get some decent transit solutions soon. At this rate, it will be a decade before we see any progress. And if the economy goes into complete meltdown (increasingly likely), people may be too broke to vote up a tax increase. Mick is screwing the pooch on this big time.

Thunder
06-12-2008, 09:33 PM
Gas prices is really causing the comeback of many rails and transit services.

Now, those services will have to come up with money for expansions and upgrades.

Lets say that every major cities have full-scale rails service, above and underground, that will be less gas-powered autos on the road, which brings in even less demand for gas and oil, then the ultimate result will be 10 bux a gallon on gas.

From my view, everything does not look good for this country. We're going to suffer really bad and everything will crash and people will lose jobs.

mapmgr
06-12-2008, 09:40 PM
We could try "slugging" to work. As was explained to me, it's either disorganized car-pooling or organized hitch-hiking. You stand in line for a given destination and a driver will pick up riders in order to travel in the HOV lanes.

-- Glenn
(who wants to take the Sooner Sub all the way from home to work and back)