View Full Version : Breaking news: new Greater OKC Chamber HQ

Pages : [1] 2 3

Steve
06-12-2008, 12:57 PM
Story is at Chamber to build new headquarters | NewsOK.com (http://newsok.com/chamber-to-build-new-headquarters/article/3256518/?tm=1213295616)

John
06-12-2008, 01:08 PM
Four stories is better than the one I was dreading.

Thanks, Steve.

sroberts24
06-12-2008, 01:17 PM
very cool

Steve
06-12-2008, 01:18 PM
An animation video should be posted soon.

John
06-12-2008, 02:00 PM
Very impressive! It looks a lot taller than 4 stories in the animation.

I like the video wall and plaza, which still allow for outdoor screenings (I would assume) for events like the deadCENTER fim fest.

wsucougz
06-12-2008, 02:07 PM
Looks good to me. Thanks, Steve.

Doug Loudenback
06-12-2008, 02:20 PM
Wow ... that's downright pretty! If the video is accurate, there will be a video-sort-of-thing on one side of the building? If so, very cool. I like the shape a lot and the general presentation.

Midtowner
06-12-2008, 02:21 PM
Is it actually going to have a video board on the front, or is that just an effect?

John
06-12-2008, 02:29 PM
Is it actually going to have a video board on the front, or is that just an effect?

I would assume it'll be on there. Probably looping with state/okc tourism videos.

ourulz2000
06-12-2008, 02:33 PM
It will be nice to have a building on that side of downtown with a window on it...

Comm'l Real Estate Guy
06-12-2008, 03:01 PM
Estimated project costs are $18 million....that's $360/sf. Wow, that's expensive.

It's definitely a cool building, though.

bornhere
06-12-2008, 03:18 PM
It's interesting to me that the Gaylord family has finally agreed to part with that parcel of land, which has been vacant, I think, since the Land Run.

Doug Loudenback
06-12-2008, 03:24 PM
Not nearly as nice as the video, but a lot quicker:

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a49/DougLoudenback/misc/coc1.gif

Midtowner
06-12-2008, 03:59 PM
Estimated project costs are $18 million....that's $360/sf. Wow, that's expensive.

It's definitely a cool building, though.

Even more expensive than a loft it bricktown :)

mmonroe
06-12-2008, 05:05 PM
Google Maps (http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=35.474629,-97.513876&spn=0.005496,0.013561&z=17&layer=c&cbll=35.47187,-97.51436&panoid=1sbkB3deEevk2UP45dzbbQ&cbp=2,126.83652297637273,,0,2.3972248881664013)

autoMATTic
06-12-2008, 05:33 PM
I wish they would have built it closer to the road. I like it.

mmonroe
06-12-2008, 05:57 PM
Is it in like the shape of the Chesapeake boathouse?

flintysooner
06-12-2008, 06:06 PM
I think the cost is reasonable.

I'm not really that impressed with glass buildings in the first place and especially in that particular spot. The big TV thing is questionable to me as well.

metro
06-12-2008, 06:09 PM
Well, we all knew this was going to be built there, but I must say I'm impressed with the design. When they first announced 1 maybe 2 stories. I was a little discouraged. I figured another boring box design. Especially when they are the ones pushing Core To Shore and they aren't locating in the C2S area. This will be a nice addition to blend Maywood Park to the CBD.

Kerry
06-12-2008, 08:27 PM
I like it but it seems like such a waste of prime real estate. Oh well, like was said earlier, the site has been vacant since the land run. I hope the video board is part of it and not just for the video. It would be cool if they built it about 14 stories and lease space to HQ/Office Suite and had a business incubator located in it. They could probably recoup some of the cost that way.

Steve
06-12-2008, 08:42 PM
I hate to disappoint, but I can assure everybody the site has not been empty since the Land Run. Just Urban Renewal.

bornhere
06-12-2008, 08:43 PM
What was there before?

zuluwarrior0760
06-12-2008, 10:14 PM
The video board WILL happen, it is the signature of the building,
and my understanding is it will be the first HD LED array in Oklahoma....

As for screenings, I don't know, but it's possible. Every element of the
building will be state of the art.

Steve
06-12-2008, 10:16 PM
Downtown Design Review might see it differently zulu. These boards have met resistance in the past. I'm not taking sides - but I am curious (sincerely): Why so confident?

John
06-13-2008, 01:07 AM
The video board WILL happen, it is the signature of the building,
and my understanding is it will be the first HD LED array in Oklahoma....

As for screenings, I don't know, but it's possible. Every element of the
building will be state of the art.

I think the new board over the south endzone at OU will be HD LED, from what I gathered.

Spartan
06-13-2008, 03:10 AM
John, I thought it was going to be a jumbotron.

bornhere
06-13-2008, 05:47 AM
Downtown Design Review might see it differently zulu. These boards have met resistance in the past. I'm not taking sides - but I am curious (sincerely): Why so confident?

Well, it is the Chamber of Commerce.

John
06-13-2008, 02:44 PM
John, I thought it was going to be a jumbotron.

Prior to the 2008 football season
• South scoreboard: LED video display improvements and expansion within the entire existing structure (16mm HD capable video replay).
• Sound system replacement within the current board.
• Cost for this phase: $4.5 million.

From an OU/Daktronics press release.

Spartan
06-13-2008, 03:10 PM
So much for that. I was actually excited about the new 'jumbotron'.

SouthsideSooner
06-13-2008, 08:37 PM
I don't know how anyone could be disappointed with this.......

Construction last week began at the Univ. of Oklahoma's (OU) Gaylord Family-Oklahoma Memorial Stadium on a new "state-of-the-art" $4.5M HD video screen in the south end zone, scheduled for completion before the '08 college football season, according to Jake Trotter of the DAILY OKLAHOMAN. The board will be 113.5 feet wide and 32.5 feet tall, totaling 3,689 square feet, and is "expected to be among the five largest in the nation." OU also is installing a new sound system, and the athletic department is "in the process of securing HD video cameras for Sooner Vision." The video board is the final piece of a $9.6M project that included a video board for the north end of the stadium, installed before the '07 season, as well as a new "center-hung video scoreboard at the Lloyd Noble Center," which was mounted prior to the '07-08 college basketball season. Daktronics built the two football video boards and the basketball board. The renovations are "part of Phase IV of a Memorial Stadium expansion and improvements project"

Oklahoma Memorial Stadium Installing $4.5M HD Video Screen (http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/article/120710)

wsucougz
06-13-2008, 10:24 PM
I don't know how anyone could be disappointed with this.......

Construction last week began at the Univ. of Oklahoma's (OU) Gaylord Family-Oklahoma Memorial Stadium on a new "state-of-the-art" $4.5M HD video screen in the south end zone, scheduled for completion before the '08 college football season, according to Jake Trotter of the DAILY OKLAHOMAN. The board will be 113.5 feet wide and 32.5 feet tall, totaling 3,689 square feet, and is "expected to be among the five largest in the nation." OU also is installing a new sound system, and the athletic department is "in the process of securing HD video cameras for Sooner Vision." The video board is the final piece of a $9.6M project that included a video board for the north end of the stadium, installed before the '07 season, as well as a new "center-hung video scoreboard at the Lloyd Noble Center," which was mounted prior to the '07-08 college basketball season. Daktronics built the two football video boards and the basketball board. The renovations are "part of Phase IV of a Memorial Stadium expansion and improvements project"

Oklahoma Memorial Stadium Installing $4.5M HD Video Screen (http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/article/120710)

This is a football thread now?

mmonroe
06-13-2008, 10:56 PM
Eh.. football. They started taking the scoreboard down before spring commencement at OU. The entire front was off during the spring commencement.

jbrown84
06-14-2008, 12:55 PM
I'm impressed with what FSB did with this.

The LED screen is an awesome element, and if you notice in the video, it is right smack in front of the intersection of McGee/Broadway & EK Gaylord, so when cars are stopped there, they will be watching the Chamber's great promo videos for OKC.

bornhere
06-14-2008, 10:01 PM
Which frankly strikes me as just more visual clutter. I hope we don't look like 'Blade Runner' ten or fifteen years from now.

MestaParkMan
06-14-2008, 11:33 PM
I am glad that the chamber is getting space needed for all their employees. They have been cramped for a long time and also the CVB will be able to share the same space. Downtown is changing for the better and why shouldn't the chamber have a space that reflects those changes?

jbrown84
06-17-2008, 08:45 PM
Which frankly strikes me as just more visual clutter. I hope we don't look like 'Blade Runner' ten or fifteen years from now.

It's no different than Times Square or any other place with large LED video boards. I don't know how it's "Blade Runner"...

ourulz2000
08-21-2008, 08:25 AM
Has construction started on this?

metro
08-21-2008, 08:46 AM
Not yet. Keep in mind large buildings take awhile to break ground, you have to assemble a team of engineers, architects, planners and then put out RFP's for each part of construction down to the exact details of everything, hence why Devon is taking until 2012 to complete. This is expected to open in 2010 though.

julieriggs
08-21-2008, 09:51 AM
For media and updates on the new building: http://www.okcchamber.com/newbuilding

Midtowner
08-21-2008, 09:56 AM
Regarding the topic's title. I think "breaking news" is a bad idea for a subject line on a BBS thread. This was breaking news 2 months ago. It isn't anymore.

bornhere
08-21-2008, 09:57 AM
It's no different than Times Square or any other place with large LED video boards. I don't know how it's "Blade Runner"...

Well, okay... I hope we don't look like Times Square ten or fifteen years from now.

Pete
08-21-2008, 10:03 AM
I really like the design and it will really be in a featured location, with plenty of quick parking for those that want to stop in and get some ideas of things to do in town.

Yet another great addition to downtown!

BG918
08-21-2008, 10:05 AM
I like it too, just wish it was taller with either leasable office space or residential. The design is fantastic. We'll need some taller buildings after Devon goes up!

Luke
08-21-2008, 10:33 AM
Very cool looking building. Will be a welcome addition downtown!

metro
08-21-2008, 11:19 AM
Has construction started on this?

According to the link above, they are expected to break ground later this fall.

CuatrodeMayo
08-22-2008, 07:35 AM
Well, okay... I hope we don't look like Times Square ten or fifteen years from now.

Why not? I sure do.

Rover
08-22-2008, 07:57 AM
Worldwide, video enhancements on buildings help create interest and excitement in urban environments. I should say this is usually the domain of cities such as New York, Tokyo, etc. For OKC to start providing this kind of exciting environment is progressive, exciting and appropriate. We need to start supporting this kind of more advanced design enhancements and join the top cities in the world. As it was stated in announcing the Devon plans, being biggest is overrated and a fleeting opportunity. Being best is lasting. OKC will never be among the biggest cities in the world, but it can be among the best.

Pete
08-22-2008, 08:03 AM
As I stated in another thread, I hope the expanded Ford Center features a big video screen over it's entrance and facing the new plaza.

Especially since it will front on the new boulevard, it could be a great promotional showcase for events and OKC in general, plus it could be a public gathering place for viewing important events.

The screen at the new Chamber HQ would be used slightly differently, but would be a great promotional tool.

bornhere
08-23-2008, 06:37 PM
Given what we've been through limiting billboards on the crosstown expressway, it seems ironic to me that we would now equate more visual clutter with progress.

Would everyone think this would be just as cool if it were on North May Avenue?

edcrunk
08-24-2008, 05:56 AM
Given what we've been through limiting billboards on the crosstown expressway, it seems ironic to me that we would now equate more visual clutter with progress

ever been to TOKYO?
i love any type of lit up, flashing, eyecandy or videoscreen clutter they can lay on me.
BRING IT ON, i say!

Kerry
08-24-2008, 08:07 AM
Given what we've been through limiting billboards on the crosstown expressway, it seems ironic to me that we would now equate more visual clutter with progress.

Would everyone think this would be just as cool if it were on North May Avenue?

I think this is the difference between an automobile dominated environment and a pedistrian environment.

jbrown84
08-24-2008, 02:42 PM

Well produced, high quality advertisments for the city hardly equal tacky billboards for Night Trips and 1800-TO SELL HOMES.

edcrunk
08-24-2008, 05:22 PM
Well produced, high quality advertisments for the city hardly equal tacky billboards for Night Trips
oh no... those billboards are ok.
:tiphat:

betts
08-24-2008, 06:28 PM
I'm fine with the video board, since it appears to be facing Broadway. I wouldn't want it shining in my windows.

bornhere
08-25-2008, 01:07 AM
Well produced, high quality advertisments for the city...

...are still advertisements, as far as I'm concerned. It doesn't matter to me if they're for the city or Night Trips or Pepto-Bismol. The fewer of them I see the better I like it.

metro
08-25-2008, 07:56 AM
Have you been to Times Square? We need more of this informational, HD LED billboards to promote events going on in the city, not sleezy businesses. These are pedestrian info boards as others pointed out, not highway-type billboards.

edcrunk
08-25-2008, 02:45 PM
but if the sleazy businesses wanted to promote in a high definition, high tech sort of way....

that's still ok by me.

Rover
08-25-2008, 06:04 PM
Hate to tell you all that haven't ever been to NYCity or not recently, but Times Square is a bustling place and pretty much cleaned up of the massive sleeze it was. The big LED screens are totally legit not only in NYC but in London, Tokyo, etc, in most progressive and modern cities. They add to the visual excitement and colorfulness of the urban experience. And, they can even be informative, but usually just entertaining.

edcrunk
08-25-2008, 09:18 PM
Hate to tell you all that haven't ever been to NYCity or not recently, but Times Square is a bustling place and pretty much cleaned up of the massive sleeze it was. The big LED screens are totally legit not only in NYC but in London, Tokyo, etc, in most progressive and modern cities. They add to the visual excitement and colorfulness of the urban experience. And, they can even be informative, but usually just entertaining.
i've never been to nyc (and am not too interested in going either.... unless for a dj gig) but i've been to tokyo and love all the visual stimuli!! if you like times square... you'll love shibuya crossings. which is like a times square on steroids (now imagine that being said by a guy who does breakfast cereal commercials or something only sold on tv).

metro
09-17-2008, 07:52 AM
Oklahoma City planner objects to chamber building plan
By Steve Lackmeyer
Business Writer

A staff report issued this week to the Downtown Design Review Committee recommends they deny approval of renderings for a proposed new headquarters for the Greater Oklahoma City Chamber.

report, authored by assistant city planner Scottye Montgomery, acknowledges the triangular site at NW 4 and Broadway is "oddly configured, which may make this (design) regulation difficult to meet.”

Montgomery also advised committee members the project attempts to preserve sight lines to the neighboring E.K. Gaylord Building (former home of The Oklahoman), which she said is a valid consideration but is not one that is recognized by the downtown zoning ordinance.

Montgomery also wrote the building's 240-foot-high glass curtain walls conflict with the requirements that downtown building facades include "vertical breaks.” She advised a proposed digital sign at the entrance also violates city zoning.

"The project is not in context with the surrounding area in that it does not provide any unifying elements such as similar building materials, fenestration patterns, vertical character or siting,” Montgomery wrote.

‘Very unique downtown site'
Roy Williams, chamber president, declined an interview but released the following statement:

"On Thursday, September 18, Oklahoma City's Downtown Design Review Committee will consider the Chamber's proposed development at NW 4 and Broadway. We believe in the merits of our proposal in creating a dynamic new public space on this very unique downtown site.

"The city staff makes recommendations to the committee, based on whether the proposal strictly meets the criteria of the downtown design ordinance. The staff also provides alternatives to the committee. It is important to note that their recommendations do not reflect a decision of the committee. We look forward to making a formal presentation of the project at Thursday's meeting.”

Setback is main issue
The chamber headquarters is the first new Central Business District construction to be considered by the Downtown Design Review Committee since it was formed almost two years ago.

"The only big issue we have is the setback,” Montgomery said. "That's something we can't modify or exempt. The ordinance was written with the downtown fabric in mind — that a building be at street level and pushed to the streets so that there is interaction between pedestrians and buildings. It's supposed to be typical of our downtown area.”