View Full Version : $2 gas Friday at Homeland in Norman!!!!

okcsonic5
06-10-2008, 11:39 PM
The Norman Transcript - $2 gas returns Friday ... really (http://www.normantranscript.com/archivesearch/local_story_162110204)

Published June 10, 2008 12:00 am - Transcript Staff Writer
If you're sick of shelling out nearly $4 for a gallon of gas every time you fill up,...

$2 gas returns Friday ... really

If you're sick of shelling out nearly $4 for a gallon of gas every time you fill up, you can pay about half that -- $2 per gallon -- Friday at the 24th Avenue NW and Robinson Street Homeland.

The cheap gas, which on the national average hasn't been sold for $2 per gallon since March 2004, will be on sale starting at noon. The promotion is expected to last about one hour, give or take a few minutes.

Local real estate company Metro Brokers of Oklahoma will be picking up the tab as part of a promotion the firm is doing to "give back" to those living in Norman, where MBO is headquartered.

"We started this company not just to have a place to work, but also to have a vehicle through which we could give back to our community," said Gwen Holmes, principal broker and owner of MBO.

"We thought this would be a lot of fun and would benefit some motorists."

During the promotion, MBO employees also will be on hand to help out and answer any questions customers may have.

venture
06-11-2008, 12:12 AM
What a waste. You know the lines will be long and people will end up burning more gas waiting, and more time driving to and from there, than what they are going to save.

BailJumper
06-11-2008, 06:37 AM
What gimmick. Hope they have plenty of police there (off-duty and charged to the gas station).

bigjkt405
06-11-2008, 07:05 AM
Gimmick or not.... I am comtemplating trying it out. The Tahoe currently takes $100 to fill. I wouldn't mind a hour wait to save $50 bucks on a tank.

metro
06-11-2008, 07:21 AM
http://www.okctalk.com/norman/13115-2-gas-friday-homeland.html

PLANSIT
06-11-2008, 10:53 AM
Gimmick or not.... I am comtemplating trying it out. The Tahoe currently takes $100 to fill. I wouldn't mind a hour wait to save $50 bucks on a tank.

Don't drive a Tahoe. Nuff said.

centaurian
06-11-2008, 11:03 AM
This is not such a bright idea. :bright_id
Ok do you seriously thing this is not going to be a night mare on robinson st.
there will be such a traffic problem, people will be running into each other.

This is a major flawed marketing plan.(gimick) there will be 1000's of people trying to get this gas when there will only be about 100 that actually make it to the pumps. And i can see an all out brawl ,:beaten_fi :boxing2: :fighting2 wrecks, and lots of road rage by drivers to get at those pumps. lol:congrats:

What should be done is a lottery, you put your name in for a drawing and they select a set number of people to get the gas for $2. they can come by and get their gas at a set time or when ever.

I hate to think how much money it s going to cost the city of norman s police department to try to manage traffic, and all of the accidents that will happen because of this, My tax dollars are going to be wasted for the use of our officers to deal with this fiasco.

MBO you need to rethink your effort to give back to the community, i applaud this effort,but it has not been well thought out.

ME, i will be at the carls jr across the street watching the whole thing. :LolLolLol

metro
06-11-2008, 11:25 AM
centaurian, well said. this was not a very good marketing strategy. cheap gas is a good PR stunt, but they should have done a drawing or "lottery" as you say. just give people gift cards to a gas station. still get all the PR without creating fights, wasting police force, traffic jam, and potentially burning tons of fuel hoping to be in line to get cheap gas.

centaurian
06-11-2008, 11:29 AM
centaurian, well said. this was not a very good marketing strategy. cheap gas is a good PR stunt, but they should have done a drawing or "lottery" as you say. just give people gift cards to a gas station. still get all the PR without creating fights, wasting police force, traffic jam, and potentially burning tons of fuel hoping to be in line to get cheap gas.
Amen Metro.

kevinpate
06-11-2008, 12:52 PM
will be a day I am glad I won't be in Norman.

bigjkt405
06-11-2008, 02:17 PM
Don't drive a Tahoe. Nuff said.

Stay classy bro.

PLANSIT
06-11-2008, 02:58 PM
Stay classy bro.

First off I'm not your "bro". Secondly, what does "class" have to do with my post? I'm only pointing out that you complain about filling up, yet you drive a gas guzzler. Now, maybe you need it for work or have a bunch of kids, but there is an alternative to paying so much.

OKCTalker
06-11-2008, 03:01 PM
Don't tase me, bro.

BradR
06-11-2008, 04:35 PM
i'll stay on the other side of town and laugh at those who think they'll actually get gas

they probably have like a 5gal limit or some other stipulation

bigjkt405
06-11-2008, 05:41 PM
First off I'm not your "bro". Secondly, what does "class" have to do with my post? I'm only pointing out that you complain about filling up, yet you drive a gas guzzler. Now, maybe you need it for work or have a bunch of kids, but there is an alternative to paying so much.

I didn't complain about filling up. I simply stated that a fill up would be half of what it is now. Regardless of the reasons why I own a Tahoe, what would be the point of posting "Don't drive a Tahoe, Nuff Said". I could've said that it wouldn't cost $45 bucks in the Nissan Sentra that we own. Oh well, I'm not into internet tussles, so I'll end here.

oklanole
06-11-2008, 05:46 PM
I didn't complain about filling up. I simply stated that a fill up would be half of what it is now. Regardless of the reasons why I own a Tahoe, what would be the point of posting "Don't drive a Tahoe, Nuff Said". I could've said that it wouldn't cost $45 bucks in the Nissan Sentra that we own. Oh well, I'm not into internet tussles, so I'll end here.

Hey Nice to see a fellow Utopian here!!

Blazerfan11
06-11-2008, 08:01 PM
http://www.myemospace.com/ok/catfishman.jpg

centaurian
06-13-2008, 08:04 AM
Today is the D day for the $2 gas in norman lol
Im sure it will be all over the news tonight.
It will be humorous to see how many wrecks, fights, and traffic jams
that are caused by this. I heard it was on the ch9 news last night too.
so i bet the media will be there covering the whole thing.

if anyone goes and gets gas let us know.

jennalaird
06-14-2008, 10:45 PM
As a Realtor who participated in this promotion, I just wanted to touch base with you all and let you know how it went. As I'm sure you've seen by now, there were plenty of people who chose to come and take advantage of our offer. I personally pumped about 75 peoples' cars and only got any hint of negativity from one person (and even she thanked me for the promotion before leaving.)

Our customers were very excited to receive their cash rebate on the spot and said that the experience was a good one overall. We didn't have a single accident or fight, as many postings predicted, and I truly think it was just an enjoyable time for people. During the wait, many got out of their cars and talked to strangers who were also in line. I loved the fact that I had an opportunity to visit with so many people who truly felt that we were helping out.

I hope this answers some of your questions about the event and that if any of you came that you had an enjoyable experience, as well. If you didn't come, then maybe you'll consider participating in the next promotion we have, whatever it is.

Thanks and have a great day!

centaurian
06-16-2008, 09:06 AM
Yes great effort to 'give back t the community'

But lets mention the traffic jam that morning, cars were lined up all the way off the highway way before the noon starting time. And also the fact that you were limited to 8 gallons of gas.

Not worth the time and effort in my opinion to save about $15 and spend hours waiting for that.

bigjkt405
06-16-2008, 11:09 AM

Funny.... On Saturday, my wife, mother, aunt, cousin, and my two kids were involved in an accident when a lady ran a stop sign and my wife t-boned her. The officer even said that it was good they were in a large vehicle as they hit a tank of an automobile. The other driver was taken to the hospital was is bad condition, and my wife and family escaped with very liimited injuries (a few bruises, and cuts from the glass after)..... I hate that it happened, but I am glad my wife and children were in the Tahoe and not the Sentra......

Karried
06-16-2008, 11:24 AM
Wow, so sorry to hear of that happening to your family!

It's so ironic.. I was talking to my husband just yesterday about getting a small commuter car and we both said 'no' at the same time... as we are worried about being in an accident in a small car. I've seen so many accidents and those poor cars are like sardine cans. Of course, I've seen the same in rollovers too... so either way an accident isn't pretty.. but for me personally, I feel safer in a larger vehicle.

It's just a sad fact, we have been pretty fortunate in the past years to have had such low fuel costs.. (especially compared to what other countries pay excluding Mexico.. their prices are still in the $2 - $3 range- go figure) but I don't see our prices coming down anytime soon, if ever.

But, for now, we'll stick with our larger vehicles with all the safety features and just cut down on our unnecessary driving .....

Hope your family is okay!