View Full Version : Great Plains article

OUman
12-15-2004, 07:57 AM
Did anyone read the article on Great Plains Airlines that was printed in the past Sundays' Oklahoman? It mentioned how the airline's failure has affected Tulsa and the state.

It also had an investor's opnion that he would give away $300,000 of his own money to have good air service between OK and the rest of the nation.

The question I have is, are there efforts to start another OK-based airline? I would really like to see a new airline (I don't really care about RJ's, as long as it has RJ's that can fly nonstop between here and both coastlines) that starts out with 8 planes, and is headquartered in Oklahoma City. We'll already have three open gates, and with the new east concourse, it could later be moved over there. Too bad GP went under.

Atleast we have a bunch of people who know how important good air service is and want to do something about it.

OUman

OUman
12-15-2004, 07:59 AM
Just to add, a good thing that's happening is that the majors and their commuter lines are now starting to fly non-hub flights. OKC might gain on this by getting more RJ's between here and other cities instead of the usual hubs we have to fly to. What do you think?

OUman

mranderson
12-15-2004, 08:09 AM
Just to add, a good thing that's happening is that the majors and their commuter lines are now starting to fly non-hub flights. OKC might gain on this by getting more RJ's between here and other cities instead of the usual hubs we have to fly to. What do you think?

OUman

Most of the regional jets are very uncomfortable. I flew a United regional to Chicago and felt like Kareem Abdul Jabar would feel in a Mini Cooper. I prefer 727 or larger.

Nuclear_2525
12-15-2004, 08:44 AM
I agree with the guy who said he would lose another $300,000 for Great Plains. If I currently lived in Tulsa, I would vote another $30 mil or more tax increase to get another airline started. We need connections to the coasts and we're probably not going to get them without a local airline taking the initiative. Another thread on this forum said Tulsa was behind times. I would say any city bold enough to raise taxes to start a new airline with the "monopoly" that the larger airlines have on the market is definitely not behind times.

OUman
12-15-2004, 09:59 AM
Most of the regional jets are very uncomfortable. I flew a United regional to Chicago and felt like Kareem Abdul Jabar would feel in a Mini Cooper. I prefer 727 or larger.Well, since I'm a short guy (and I love flying), I guess I don't mind them. I agree though, for tall people, they're a bit too small. I've flown in the CRJ's and ERJ's, and I'd take 'em anyday over a turboprop. (Remember the ATR 72's and EMB-120's we used to get for the 'short' hops down to DFW? Ugh...)

But the RJ's making possible flights that previously wouldn't be possible, and the n/s's between OKC and EWR wouldn't have been possible without them.

OUman

mranderson
12-15-2004, 11:59 AM
Well, since I'm a short guy (and I love flying), I guess I don't mind them. I agree though, for tall people, they're a bit too small. I've flown in the CRJ's and ERJ's, and I'd take 'em anyday over a turboprop. (Remember the ATR 72's and EMB-120's we used to get for the 'short' hops down to DFW? Ugh...)

But the RJ's making possible flights that previously wouldn't be possible, and the n/s's between OKC and EWR wouldn't have been possible without them.

OUman

Yes. However, do you know how it feels to have your knee caps up your nose for three hours?

Luke
12-16-2004, 05:27 PM
The coastal flights issue seems to be one that is a blockade for us to really have some pull when luring potential corporations to OKC. I dunno the best way to resolve it. But, it is something that really does need to be taken care of.

mranderson
12-16-2004, 05:30 PM
The coastal flights issue seems to be one that is a blockade for us to really have some pull when luring potential corporations to OKC. I dunno the best way to resolve it. But, it is something that really does need to be taken care of.

Can you say new airport director, new airport trust, and a 30 to 50 gate Will Rogers? Plus salespeople who do nothing but travel promoting and selling Oklahoma City to airlines and otehr corporations.

Patrick
12-17-2004, 12:05 AM
Obviously, we're gonig toh ave to have an airport trust that is as "up with the times" as the Tulsa Airport trust is! I hand it to Tulsa......they made a good move in trying to get Great Plains off the ground. Sure, it didn't work, but IMHO, it was a risk worth taking. If the OKC Airport Trust would've helped Tulsa out a little bit ion trying to get Great Plains off the ground, it might've become a reality, one which would've helped both cities.

Luke
12-17-2004, 05:41 AM
Seems like the Airport Trust of Tulsa is thinking like the civic leaders in OKC and the Airport Trust in OKC is thinking like civic leaders in Tulsa.

Maybe we can make the Tulsa Airport Trust a job offer... ;)

Patrick
12-17-2004, 10:00 AM
I know many Tulsan's probably aren't thrilled with the sacrifice the Tulsa Airport Trust made in trying to get Great Plains off the ground. But, personally I think it shows the risk their Airport Trust is willing to go to get better air service for Tulsa. That ambition is to be commended. As you mention, Luke, unfortunately, their civic leaders are more like our airport trust. Too bad we couldn't get the best of both worlds. If I had to choose, I guesss I'd choose more forward thinking civic leaders, but I don't see why we couldn't have both. Seems like our airport trust could've helped out Tulsa in their quest to bring better air service through Great Plains. If we would've pitched in, maybe Great Plains could've gotten the 8+ planes they needed to remain profitable.

In all reality, we would've benefited just as much as Tulsa......Great Plains was offering non-stop service from our city as well as Tulsa.

BG918
12-19-2004, 01:12 AM
Oklahoma legislators are the one's that need to lobby for better air service. The government practically sleeps with the major airlines, our congressmen could easily do more than they currently do. We could also offer incentives to bring airlines here. I just don't get how Northwest Arkansas Reg. Airport has a non-stop to New York JFK and neither Tulsa or OKC do. We don't need another Great Plains, we need airlines like American, United, or even Southwest to give us more non-stop flights. Oklahoma has nearly 4 million people and only 2 major airports, I definitely think we could handle more flights especially to coastal hubs.

Patrick
12-20-2004, 11:58 PM
You know, I know many people probably wouldn't agree with what I'm about to say, but oh well.....one of the jobs of the Lt. Governor is to market our state to outside corporations. I just don't think Mary Fallin has done a very good job at this. She should be the one pushing for better air service in our state.

metro
12-21-2004, 11:01 AM
I agree, we should all write her....

bmrsnr
03-09-2005, 03:02 AM
Has anyone else written to Mary Fallin on this issue? I'm astounded that OKC has so much space to expand and relieve the stress of major hubs like Dallas and St. Louis, both of which were ridiculously crowded during my recent travels. How in the hell can we have so much opportunity and still manage to squander it all away with such efficiency? Is there anything we can do to get this issue addressed by those that can actually do something about it? Expanded air service, as we all know, would help with economic development and it just makes perfect sense. Get on this issue please!!

Patrick
03-09-2005, 11:28 PM
Has anyone else written to Mary Fallin on this issue? I'm astounded that OKC has so much space to expand and relieve the stress of major hubs like Dallas and St. Louis, both of which were ridiculously crowded during my recent travels. How in the hell can we have so much opportunity and still manage to squander it all away with such efficiency? Is there anything we can do to get this issue addressed by those that can actually do something about it? Expanded air service, as we all know, would help with economic development and it just makes perfect sense. Get on this issue please!!

Unfortunately, our state government views air service as more of a city issue, than a state issue. Afterall, the city of OKC runs Will Rogers and the city of Tulsa operated the Tulsa Airport.

Still, I think it's the Lt. Governor's job to promote our state and try to attract business here. I respect Mary Fallin and like her personally, but I'm unaware of any efforts led by her in this area. As with any issue though, there's a lot of happenings behind the scenes, so I don't know all of the details as to why she hasn't been able to get the ball rolling on anything for our state.

At this stage, all we can really do is cry to the airport trust and our city government.

bmrsnr mentioned in a PM to me that we really need to focus on getting a direct non-stop flight to NYC (JFK). I couldn't agree more. Does anyone have any information on if this might be a possiblity. Could JetBlue enter the OKC market and offer such a service?

soonerguru
03-14-2005, 01:41 PM
The reason Northwest Arkansas has the direct flight to NYC is based on Wally World and Wally World alone.

Wal-Mart insists on doing business in Bentonville. Anybody who want to do business with them must do so on their terms.

I wouldn't be surprised if they have direct flights from most of the major cities.

swake
03-14-2005, 02:11 PM
Don't both OKC and Tulsa have direct flights to Newark? I know Tulsa does

mranderson
03-14-2005, 02:13 PM
Don't both OKC and Tulsa have direct flights to Newark? I know Tulsa does

I have no knowlege of Tulsa, however Oklahoma City has a non stop flight to Newark. Not direct.

swake
03-14-2005, 02:30 PM
What is a non-stop non-direct flight

mranderson
03-14-2005, 02:37 PM
What is a non-stop non-direct flight

The difference is non stop is just that. Non stop. Direct is a landing in between with no chnage of plane and flight number.