View Full Version : Restoring Christianity

Call to Restoration
06-07-2008, 08:56 PM
Hey guys,

I'm a Christian and here is some things I've been thinking about in the recent months.

In today's climate, in order to stand against the rampant immorality brought on by Satan, Christians need to stand unified under the banner of the teachings of Jesus Christ. In John 17 Christ prayed for unity among His future followers, yet we live in a city with literally hundreds of churches! If we could all be restored to the teachings of Christ, we can achieve such unity and stop leaving Christ's prayer unanswered.

I've been working with some fellow Christians on a website called CallToRestoration.com. The idea behind the site is to encourage Christians to learn more about the Bible and work on being restored to the New Testament in terms of morality, zeal, doctrine, and principle. In Hosea, God said His people would be destroyed for a "lack of knowledge," which should emphasize for us the importance of knowing God's will through the Bible. As Christians, I feel that we should be more concerned with honoring Christ than man-made creed. The purpose of the site is to search for the truth of the scripture, with an open and humble heart.

I want to invite everyone to join, so hopefully we can increase our collective Biblical IQ and grow closer together in unity. Also, in doing so, you'll get a free subscription our Newsletter. Additionally, if at all possible, I'd like to organize some study groups among Christians here in the city so we can learn more about the word of God.

Thank you so much and God Bless!:)

Martin
06-08-2008, 06:18 AM
just curious... what group are you affiliated with?

-M

GWB
06-08-2008, 07:21 AM
just curious... what group are you affiliated with?

-M

I was checking out the website Call to Restoration posted and looked around at it. I noticed on this website there were a few links and a couple of them were Church of Christ related. Not saying that Call to Restoration belongs to Church of Christ, but the links he provides gives some indication that he has some connection to them. Maybe CTR will come back to answer your question soon. I'm curious too.

BailJumper
06-08-2008, 08:30 AM
Hey guys,

I'm a Christian..... AND A SPAMMER. What a turnoff.

bwana_bob
06-08-2008, 10:17 AM
Follow the link: Penn South Church of Christ (http://pennsouthchurchofchrist.com/)

It reads:

Some of our members are working on an evangelistic effort in a website that calls for the restoration of the New Testament church. Check out the site at this link. read more »

The "read more" links to CallToRestoration.com

The early church struggled with theological division but not the type of hair-splitting, "my way" is the right way blather we see at present. To see a picture of the unified church, one only has to read the early church fathers - they were rather prolific.

Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it. (George Santayana)

Midtowner
06-08-2008, 10:35 AM
Everyone since Martin Luther has thought he was doing the same thing.

A call to the fundamental principles of Christianity, gosh, how original!

Blazerfan11
06-08-2008, 12:51 PM
is this where the filthy pig Hagee is speaking later this month?

One good thing about him coming to town is that he will bring a lot of money to okc restaurants.

solitude
06-08-2008, 01:24 PM
What we need is a Restoration Of REASON (http://www.amazon.com/God-Not-Great-Religion-Everything/dp/0446579807).

NikonNurse
06-08-2008, 02:12 PM
One Prayer (http://www.oneprayer.com)

Might do some of you some good...

Call to Restoration
06-08-2008, 09:56 PM
I am affiliated with the churches of Christ.

However, while I attend a church of Christ, I'm of the belief that the denominational mindset ought to be done away with. Paul, in 1 Corinthians 1, condemned the idea of Christians being lined up under the banner of men. In those days it was said "I am of Paul, I am of Cephas, etc." Today it is said, "I am of Calvin, I am of Luther" and, yes, "I am of Campbell." This is not how Christ or the apostles wanted the church to function. The church belongs to Christ and no one else, so for a church to bear the name of a man and honor human creed marginalizes the authority of Christ and His word. For example, if my wife took on the name of some other man, it would be an insult to our relationship as husband and wife. Accordingly, the church is the bride of Christ. For the church to bear the name of some man or some human creed is an insult to its relationship with Christ.

I appreciate the input of everyone and I appreciate studying the word of God with anybody. I know that many people find the “call to restoration” unoriginal, unnecessary, etc. I’ll be the first to admit that it is absolutely unoriginal. It was issued thousands of years ago by the Lord through the prophet in Jeremiah 6:16: “Thus says the LORD: "Stand in the ways and see, and ask for the old paths, where the good way is, and walk in it; then you will find rest for your souls.”” However, I do not believe that the "call to restoration" is unnecessary. I'm afraid that many Christians are, to reference Zephaniah, "settled in their lees" and either a) don't care about following the word of God, or b) don't know the word of God well enough to follow it. Maybe I'm wrong, but I can't possibly imagine that it is a bad thing to have a call for Christians to honor the teachings of Christ and His apostles.

Midtowner
06-09-2008, 07:01 AM
What sets your "return to core values" apart from someone like Luther or Calvin or Zwingli or Groeschel?

(the last one is easy)

Edmond_Outsider
06-09-2008, 10:19 AM
I thought Groeschel defined what Christians are? Isn't that correct? Where's metro when you need him to set us all straight?

metro
06-09-2008, 10:29 AM
I thought Groeschel defined what Christians are? Isn't that correct? Where's metro when you need him to set us all straight?

I think God pretty much summed it up how to act in his word. Choose your translation, it's all in there.

Ephesians 4:3-6

3Make every effort to keep the unity of the Spirit through the bond of peace. 4There is one body and one Spirit—just as you were called to one hope when you were called— 5one Lord, one faith, one baptism; 6one God and Father of all, who is over all and through all and in all.

Edmond_Outsider
06-09-2008, 11:43 AM
Since religious institutions are a part of the cultures in which they exist, in order to "restore" the church, wouldn't we also have to "restore" the rest of society to first century standards?

And what was so great about these mythical churches of the past? If you read Paul and other writers of the time, the church was just as contentious and fractured then as now. Why wouldn't it be? Human nature hasn't really changed since then. People are just as prone to disagreement and argument now as ever.

Consider how improbable societal regression is. Can somebody think of an era which this has occurred? I would posit that none exists.

These kinds of movements are really about people insecure about thier place in the world and are desperately trying to stop everything from changing so they don't lose thier place in the world.

Change sucks most of the time and, to paraphrase Darwin, you get three choices, move, adapt, or die.

Which choice does the Call To Restoration represent.

Edmond_Outsider
06-09-2008, 11:48 AM
Ah, there's metro.

See, I was right, just as soon as Groeschel manages to walmart out all other competition, he'll bring us all together in the unity of spirit, bond of peace, one body, one spirit, and a whole nose load of smoke, lasers, and rawk all tied together with one bitchin' marketing strategy.

What did they use for smoke machines in the first century? Is that what those smoky things they swing around in Catholic churches were for?

bwana_bob
06-09-2008, 03:01 PM
I am affiliated with the churches of Christ.
The church belongs to Christ and no one else, so for a church to bear the name of a man and honor human creed marginalizes the authority of Christ and His word.

Catholic
Main Entry: 1cath·o·lic Pronunciation Guide
Pronunciation: kath()lik, -k, esp British also k-
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): -s
Usage: usually capitalized
Etymology: Middle English catholike, from Middle French catholique,from catholique, adjective
1 : a person who belongs to the universal Christian church
2 : a member of a Catholic church: as a : a member of the Roman Catholic Church b : a member of an Eastern Orthodox Church <a Greek Catholic> c : a member of an Anglican or Episcopal church <an Anglo-Catholic> d : a member of an Old Catholic church e : a member of a national Catholic church <Polish National Catholics>

Citation format for this entry:

"catholic." Webster's Third New International Dictionary, Unabridged. Merriam-Webster, 2002. Merriam-Webster Unabridged Log-in (http://unabridged.merriam-webster.com) (9 Jun. 2008).

Despite the sinfulness of its people and its leaders, it endures today.

FritterGirl
06-09-2008, 03:18 PM
..and so begins the infighting. what happened to this concept of "one?"

and they wonder why so many folks have a sour taste about religion these days.

solitude
06-09-2008, 03:43 PM
One Prayer (http://www.oneprayer.com)

Might do some of you some good...

There's that good old time religion!

NikonNurse
06-09-2008, 04:57 PM
Not a religous statement....I'm just saying it might do someone some good...and it might not...just a statement...not a bait.

bwana_bob
06-09-2008, 05:42 PM
..and so begins the infighting. what happened to this concept of "one?"

and they wonder why so many folks have a sour taste about religion these days.

Rather than fighting, I was simply pointing toward a definition of a universal church. Atheists and agnostics alike delight in the splintered church - perhaps we should look to Genesis and the Tower of Babel to understand why the church is divided and, more importantly, why God would allow it to remain so: sin. When each Christian heart is pure, there will truly be one church.

solitude
06-09-2008, 05:55 PM
Rather than fighting, I was simply pointing toward a definition of a universal church. Atheists and agnostics alike delight in the splintered church - perhaps we should look to Genesis and the Tower of Babel to understand why the church is divided and, more importantly, why God would allow it to remain so: sin. When each Christian heart is pure, there will truly be one church.

Is this really 2008?

Had most all of the Christians posting here been born in the Middle East, they would be Muslims. Had they been born in India - Hindu. Born in Japan - Buddhists. Reading all of this supernatural stuff just boggles my mind. People - it's 2008! We know the Earth isn't flat! We know the sun came before the light! Whatever.

kevinpate
06-09-2008, 06:09 PM
um, wow, is this really an issue for you?

Locker people are soooooo cute

PennyQuilts
06-09-2008, 06:16 PM
Golden Rule. Live it.

Edmond_Outsider
06-09-2008, 06:24 PM
Yes, it's 2008 but we'd be better if it were 08 or 80. Well, I wouldn't be better, I'm fine in the now. But the Restoring The First Century folks might be happier in the first century of thier dreams. They can also join the Restoring America's Christian Heritage folks in their mythical perfected Christian land of yore.

Once the world is "restored," we can focus on the continued imperilistic activity of pushing western religion on those poor heathens the "one prayer" folks are going to "save."

Just think of how many people can be reached with 500+ new churches in some of the worlds most neglected and poor areas. Think about how many people they can reach and the people who will attend those churches who can reach out to even more.

And, just think of how many people we could feed, educate, and provide health care for if we spent the same time, money, and energy on not exporting religion.

These was some guy a long time ago that said something about feeding the poor, and clothing the naked, and stuff like that. I forget who that was, but it's just as well. It sounds kind of like some kind of hippy leftist commie stuff to me.

In all seriousness, I have a church I'm very happy with and I'm sure other people have churches they like. The idea that Groeschel or the OP can devise a one size fits all religion makes me feel quesy. The last thing I want is to attend any church that looks anything like Life Church or Church of Christ. If that's your thang, then do what you wanna do.

I can totally smell the marketing behind these "unification" movements from many miles away.

FritterGirl
06-09-2008, 06:29 PM

I don't necessarily delight in a divided church. But it seems that many denominations in today's society delight in "differentiation." It's the "be like us to be accepted" syndrome. Everyone thinks they've got the secret and that their "way" is the best/only/one true "way" to g-d.

More than anything, I was commenting on CtR's post about the only church being that named after Christ, which was validating how his church is the only church, and other churches (which I took to mean including Catholic churches named after saints / men) are not worthy because they "marginalize Christ and his world."

If Christians really wanted unification, they would pray, not for themselves or even for their collective "mission" of conversion, but true understanding and peace in the world, which begins with acceptance of all peoples, regardless of their religious / non-religious affiliations and cultural backgrounds, etc.

While the tit-for-tat sense of "my church is better than your church" syndrome continues to occur, and prayers are called not for the selfless betterment of the universe through an everlasting peace, but for the selfish call to better "the church" itself, then yeah, from the grandstands, the infighting is at least worth an eyeroll or two.

solitude
06-09-2008, 08:00 PM
Golden Rule. Live it.

The Sermon On The Mount. Live it.

Martin
06-10-2008, 06:53 AM
kinda figured that it was a 'church of christ' site... guess every group has a distinct vocabulary. full disclosure... i don't attend this particular church but do attend a 'church of christ' congregation. while i can't speak for the op, i can speak as another member of that same group...

everyone since martin luther has thought he was doing the same thing. a call to the fundamental principles of christianity, gosh, how original!
i don't think originality is the point here... the point is seeking truth and making sure that the church abides by that truth. as a catholic, you find this truth through your catholic traditions. we believe that the bible is the inspired word of god... so we search for truth there. those such as martin luther made great strides to restore the church, but we feel that there is much to luther's doctrine that is irreconcilably flawed.

is this where the filthy pig hagee is speaking later this month?
NO. fortunately, hagee has no affilation with the churches of christ.

what sets your "return to core values" apart from someone like luther or calvin or zwingli or groeschel? (the last one is easy)
yeah... obviously the last one is easy. i wouldn't say that groeschel or those like him aim for a 'return to core values'... i'd say that those in that particular movement focus on making the church 'relevant' and 'hip' to the current culture.

as for luther, calvin and zwingli i'll agree that the motives are similar... a desire to 'restore' the church to a time that is perceived as a better state. what sets us apart is the 'core values' themselves... we find that those three (and many others) perpetuate flawed interpretations of scripture and therefore perpetuate flawed doctrines.

3 make every effort to keep the unity of the spirit through the bond of peace.
unity is a great thing... but one doesn't sacrifice truth for the sake of unity. that's where the theology of groeschel differs from that in most of the 'church of christ.'

since religious institutions are a part of the cultures in which they exist, in order to "restore" the church, wouldn't we also have to "restore" the rest of society to first century standards?
interesting point... but no. the idea isn't to restore the culture of the first century... the idea is that the earliest church is the model for how we should believe and what we should do and that to introduce doctrines and practices not found in scripture pollutes the church. therefore, the idea is to restore the church to the principles and practices upon which it was founded and that these principles are found only in scripture.

and what was so great about these mythical churches of the past? if you read paul and other writers of the time, the church was just as contentious and fractured then as now. why wouldn't it be? human nature hasn't really changed since then. people are just as prone to disagreement and argument now as ever.
another great point... i totally agree that scripture tells us that there was dissent in the early church... to me, that's a good thing because it tells us that our problems and our differences are normal and are bound to happen... what's valuable is the lessons learned from how the early church dealt with those problems and differences. in a way, i think you answered your previous concern here... while our culture varies greatly from that of the first century, human nature hasn't really changed that much. therefore the wisdom given from scripture to deal with these inevitable problems is just as relevant today.

these kinds of movements are really about people insecure about their place in the world and are desperately trying to stop everything from changing so they don't lose their place in the world.
i think you totally misunderstand here... the 'church of christ' doesn't try to stop everything from changing. we just believe that scripture is the inspired word of god and therefore the actions of the church must have their foundation on those scriptural principles and nothing else. it has nothing to do about 'losing our place in the world'... just with maintaining what we believe god desires of us.

catholic: a person who belongs to the universal christian church. despite the sinfulness of its people and its leaders, it endures today.
what's in a name? in australia, the church of jesus christ and latter day saints (mormons) refers to itself as 'the church of christ'... so does that mean they're part of the same affiliation? of course not. whether or not a group is part of the enduring legacy of christianity rests not with the name but with the principles and actions that group stands for. those in the 'church of christ' don't believe that the doctrines and practices of the catholic church are consistent with scripture and therefore not consistent with what god wants the church to be.

more than anything, i was commenting on ctr's post about the only church being that named after christ, which was validating how his church is the only church, and other churches (which i took to mean including catholic churches named after saints / men) are not worthy because they "marginalize christ and his world."
ughhh... i'm gonna have to use my shift key and capitalize a couple words to make my point on this one. in all fairness, we use the term 'church of Christ' not 'Church of Christ'... seems trivial, i know... but it's therefore not saying the same thing as 'Baptist Church' or 'Lutheran Church', etc... all it's saying is that it strives to be the church that christ established.

so... like i was saying about australia earlier... because of what the mormons call themselves there, our groups refers to itself as the 'church of God' in australia. perhaps you'll disagree, and that's cool, but the point is that the name should be scriptural... the church is god's and doesn't belong to any specific doctrine or belief... a believer in christ should strive to be a christian... no more... no less... no need to be a 'Baptist', a 'Lutheran', etc.
well...

that's probably enough outta me. -M

Midtowner
06-10-2008, 08:48 AM
[SIZE=2]as for luther, calvin and zwingli i'll agree that the motives are similar... a desire to 'restore' the church to a time that is perceived as a better state. what sets us apart is the 'core values' themselves... we find that those three (and many others) perpetuate flawed interpretations of scripture and therefore perpetuate flawed doctrines.

And interestingly enough, I think that were Calvin, Zwingli or Luther alive today, they would find your interpretation of the scripture to be flawed as well.

I imagine that scriptural interpretation is similar to many other academic fields -- if you ask a panel of 10 academic experts about their opinion on any given subject, be prepared for any number of ideas (many conflicting, of course) which are claimed to be "true."

The scripture is the same way -- many read it different ways and come to extremely different conclusions. For example, some feel that we need only look at the literal truth of the Bible as it appears in English, since it's divinely inspired, it'll convey the right message (a/k/a the "if English was good enough for Jesus, it's good enough for me" method). Others believe that you have to know the original language which the Bible was written in and have access to as near-to-manuscript writings as possible to correctly understand the Bible. Still others believe that one must have all that as well as a strong historical background to truly believe the Bible. Finally others believe that the Bible must be understood through the lens of other extra-Biblical dogma or scripture. All of those groups would come to similar, but still substantially different opinions as to what the "core" values of the Bible actually are.

For that reason, count me as a skeptic. When someone claims to be going back to the "core" of the scripture, I just roll my eyes and say "here we go again."

Martin
06-10-2008, 09:32 AM
and interestingly enough, i think that were calvin, zwingli or luther alive today, they would find your interpretation of the scripture to be flawed as well.
no doubt... and i'd never claim otherwise. maybe they were 'right' maybe we are... either way, though, i think that 'truth' in the context of christianity is a universal thing... given conflicting viewpoints, both can't be 'right.'

here's the biggest bone i'd have to pick, though... while perhaps none of these men would have supported it in their lifetimes, their human interpretations of an (arguably) divine source have become creeds that form the backbone of denominational doctrine. people study those creeds without studying the scripture itself. to me, if some christian creed contains less than scripture then it is lacking in doctrine. if it contains more than what is found in scripture, then it is adding to god's doctrine and is therefore flawed. if it contains exactly what is found in scripture, then such a creed is simply the scripture itself... in my opinion, why depend on anything else.

i imagine that scriptural interpretation is similar to many other academic fields -- if you ask a panel of 10 academic experts about their opinion on any given subject, be prepared for any number of ideas (many conflicting, of course) which are claimed to be "true."

i totally agree. there are always going to be conflicting interpretations... as you've stated, there isn't even consensus on how to receive scripture... given that, i don't see how this nebulous idea of 'unity' could ever be a reality. at the end of the day, i think each person should study for himself and defend what he thinks is right... there are going to be some differences that are reconcileable, but others... not so much. to me, while unity is a nice thing, the point is truth rather than unity.

for that reason, count me as a skeptic. when someone claims to be going back to the "core" of the scripture, i just roll my eyes and say "here we go again."
to me, just because different groups come to different conclusions doesn't make the whole thing an excercise of futility... i think that many 'christian' groups practice things that no interpretation of scripture could justify... if believers would actually study what the bible says instead of taking another's word for it, i think they'd be in a better state.

-M

Midtowner
06-10-2008, 09:36 AM
It'll just be too bad when we are all denied entrance at the Pearly gates because the folks at the "Flippin' Church of God" had it right all along.

http://bp3.blogger.com/_S3L5OTaJDBo/R_PAsRn1WhI/AAAAAAAAAcI/SS5OkJNn3_4/s1600/flippinchurch.jpg

Martin
06-10-2008, 09:45 AM
oh wow... can't see how they didn't figure that one out. reminds me of the many 'bad church sign' blogs on the net.

i think it's offline now, but an organization called 'works through faith ministries' once owned the domain, 'wtfministries.com.'

-M

downtown20
06-27-2008, 09:47 AM
Hasn't history pretty well proven fundamentalism is always a bad thing?

Midtowner
06-27-2008, 11:41 AM
Hasn't history pretty well proven fundamentalism is always a bad thing?

Most people would be a little more careful about using absolutes to describe anything.

The easiest response to your question would be that perhaps the fundamentalists in history who according to you, did bad things, just failed to get fundamentalism right.

So long as they stay in their corners and don't bother the rest of us, I have no problem with fundamentalists.

Edmond_Outsider
06-27-2008, 02:15 PM
That's the problem, Mid. Fundamentalists always seem to want to make everybody conform to their version THE TRUTH.

I agree, though. I don't care if you dress in fur and howl at the moon while kissing rattlesnakes. Just don't try to convince me that's the way I should live or try to force your religious bias on me via meddling with politics.

joel228
06-27-2008, 03:11 PM
Just don't try to convince me that's the way I should live or try to force your religious bias on me via meddling with politics.
I don't think anyone should force people into believing their way, but trying to convince them in an appropriate public place, such as a public square or this discussion forum, is a completely different matter. I believe every Christian should speak with unbelievers about their faith regularly. Jesus told us to go and preach the gospel to everyone.

Also, there is nothing wrong with participating in a representative form of government and elected officials relying on religious beliefs to influence their policy, or voters likewise relying on religious beliefs to influence the candidates they choose to elect.

Midtowner
06-27-2008, 04:01 PM
Also, there is nothing wrong with participating in a representative form of government and elected officials relying on religious beliefs to influence their policy, or voters likewise relying on religious beliefs to influence the candidates they choose to elect.

As far as what a voter does, they can do anything they want. If they want to vote for a guy solely because they are pro-life, power to 'em.

Elected officials are different though. Once you're elected to public office, you represent everyone, not just the folks who voted for you. Accordingly, it is okay to use your religion as a moral compass in deciding policy matters, i.e., the Bible says stealing is bad, so as a public official, it's a good thing not to condone stealing.

It is quite another thing for an elected official to use her position to try to force their dogma on others. For example, a school board official using her position to ensure that instead of scientific matters being discussed in science, creationism was taught instead.

FritterGirl
06-27-2008, 04:10 PM
I don't think anyone should force people into believing their way, but trying to convince them in an appropriate public place, such as a public square or this discussion forum, is a completely different matter.

So, is walking on someone's PRIVATE property and knocking on their door an "appropriate public place?"

I believe every Christian should speak with unbelievers about their faith regularly. Jesus told us to go and preach the gospel to everyone.

And said Christians should respect those who choose not to believe, or believe in a different deity (or deities), and not judge them for being wrong, nor condemn others' holy books as being wrong. Sadly, that respect is seldom given. It usually ends up as a "My g_d is better than your g_d approach."

It's one thing to talk about one's faith in terms of how it guides one's life personally, another altogether as to be so intrusive as to tell another person their beliefs, however different, are wrong, and that "your way" is the only "right way."

It's one thing for a single elected official to let his/her religious/non-religious morals/beliefs to guide personal viewpoints with regard to voting, another altogether to allow religion in and of itself to enter into public policy discussions and decision-making.

joel228
06-27-2008, 04:53 PM
So, is walking on someone's PRIVATE property and knocking on their door an "appropriate public place?"'
It's not a public place. Whether it is appropriate is up for debate. I personally have found that people are automatically and unsurprisingly defensive when approached at their home. While I've had a few good conversations with people on their porch, I don't think door-to-door is effective. And I concede in most cases it is unnecessarily intrusive.

And said Christians should respect those who choose not to believe, or believe in a different deity (or deities),
I agree here. Christians should respect everyone and treat everyone with respect, regardless of the persons faith, lifestyle, appearance, you fill in the blank...

...and not judge them for being wrong, nor condemn others' holy books as being wrong. Sadly, that respect is seldom given. It usually ends up as a "My g_d is better than your g_d approach."
I believe the issue of right vs. wrong is independent of respect. Right vs. wrong can be respectfully argued. I often explain that I believe the words of Jesus when he said that he is "the way, the truth, and the life." and that no one comes to the Father but by him. I believe that any gods other than the God of the Bible are false gods and I have no reservations about saying so, but I can say it in a way that is respectful of those who disagree.

It's one thing to talk about one's faith in terms of how it guides one's life personally, another altogether as to be so intrusive as to tell another person their beliefs, however different, are wrong, and that "your way" is the only "right way."
You appear to misunderstand my faith. There is much more at stake than my life being personally guided, or winning an argument. Two people die every second. And I believe that if someone dies without Jesus Christ than they are going to hell. You may consider this to be an offensive belief, but it's what the Bible says. I believe it. While I know many don't agree with that belief, it is the belief I hold. And if I believe that, it is morally reprehensible for me to just let someone go to hell "out of respect for their beliefs."
Now, I'm not condemning them. My Bible says they're already condemned if they don't believe in Jesus. I am trying to do what Jesus did, to seek and save the lost. Jesus told us that God did not send him into the world to condemn the world, but that the world through him might be saved.
I am motivated by love for people, to try and rescue people from hell. I've had plenty of people walk away from me and tell me they simply disagree and will take their chances. But I've had very, very few get angry with me, because people can tell that I'm motivated by compassion. They may think I'm misguided, but they can for the most part see my motivation.

windowphobe
06-27-2008, 05:18 PM
The folks who've knocked on my door have never sounded the least bit coercive. Maybe I'm more intimidating-looking than I think - or maybe some folks just resent the idea of people ringing the doorbell at all.

kevinpate
06-27-2008, 06:19 PM
I've never met a pushy or unpleasant door knocker except for the semi-youngesters who used to try to peddle way overpriced magazine subscriptions, and I've not seen one of them in many a year now.

FritterGirl
06-27-2008, 07:40 PM
I was never talking about folks who've been rude. With one exception, most of the religion peddlers who have found there way to my doorstep have been quite pleasant, and I make an effort to be pleasant with them, even offering to read from one of the many spirituality books in my collection when they offer to read from their book, and in the heat of summer, offering them nice chilled water.

Joel brought up the idea that it is the goal (according to his beliefs) that every Christian should try to "convince" others into believing their way in an "appropriate public place."

My question was whether MY doorstep, on property I LEGALLY own (well, technically my mortgage company owns it for the next 28 years), is considered an appropriate "public" place for said conversion, er, convincing tactics to take place. And if so, then how do these folks justify my doorstep as their public square?

Oh GAWD the Smell!
06-27-2008, 07:48 PM
If I know that somebody is going to be knockin' on my door and prosthelytizing away...I make SURE that I'm only wearing a towel when I answer the door and at some point it WILL fall off. I also try to work in "c'mon in! We'll take a bath and talk about my soul!" at some point in the very short conversation.

See...It ticks me off to no end when they don't think that the "NO SOLICITING" sign applies to them.

Edmond_Outsider
06-28-2008, 09:44 AM
By "force" I mean via stacking school boards so they have to teach junk science or trying to legislate morality evidenced by the silly history of alcohol law in OK.

Anybody remember liquor by the wink laws?

Of course our personal ethical and moral standards influence everything we do. It's not reasonble to expect otherwise. It's only when specific religious tests are placed on every public official's every action.

As for coercive religious prostltizing, I've been confronted with it more times than I can enumerate. Some of the more recent ones are:

1. Being confronted with two teenaged evangelists at the grocery store to convince me to go see "Passion Of The Christ" right then. They just "happened to have extra tickets" to give me and my 5 year old daughter. Lets forget for a second that this movie isn't really appropriate for a 5 year old. But, they would not take my polite "no thank you" for an answer. They kept saying, "we think it's really important for me to see "what it was like for him to die for our sins." After the 4th or 5th refusal, I started getting a bit testy. BLURG. Then, of course, I had just come from my church (who else but a chruch goer is dressed in a suit and tie at 11 AM on a Sunday) which they presumed wasn't jesusee enough for me and I need to go see Mel's blood feast to get my appropriate dose of Jesus.

2. A gaggle Jehovah's Witnesses, ranging from 6 to 60 and led by the a pushy, old, grouchy man, appeared in my garage to tell me how much danger I was in from dying in a nuclear war and going to hell. They had a copy of the Watchtower the old guy insisted I needed to read. That was worse because the guy came in my garage and would not leave despite my numerosus "no thank you" responses.

Easy180
06-28-2008, 09:46 AM
'
I am motivated by love for people, to try and rescue people from hell. I've had plenty of people walk away from me and tell me they simply disagree and will take their chances. But I've had very, very few get angry with me, because people can tell that I'm motivated by compassion. They may think I'm misguided, but they can for the most part see my motivation.

I'm fine with that but I find most that knock on my door are just trying to promote their particular church...This just comes across as trying to increase attendance/donations instead of truly being concerned about my salvation

I would prefer they just give me literature about Christianity w/o the obvious promotions of the church they attend...Encouraging me to attend any church seems much more sincere

joel228
06-28-2008, 11:35 PM
I'm fine with that but I find most that knock on my door are just trying to promote their particular church...This just comes across as trying to increase attendance/donations instead of truly being concerned about my salvation

I would prefer they just give me literature about Christianity w/o the obvious promotions of the church they attend...Encouraging me to attend any church seems much more sincere
Easy,
I encourage people to attend any church where they'll be encouraged to grow in their faith in Christ and the Bible is taught. That's the difference between evangelism and church-building. Jesus told us to preach the gospel and that he (Jesus) will build the church.