View Full Version : LCD TV to computer question

metro
06-05-2008, 09:01 AM
Okay techies I need some quick help. I'm looking to purchase a 37" Vizio LCD (from WalMart or Sams) for my employer. We're wanting to be able to hook it up to one of our computers to use as a video screen. As you know most of these new LCD's have 2 HDMI ports as well as the old S-video port and RCA outputs. Our newer computers don't have an S video or HDMI connection but do have several USB ports. My question is what do I need to make this setup possible. My first thought was an HDMI to USB cable but I can't seem to find one online. Help!!!!!!

Martin
06-05-2008, 09:26 AM
on walmart's site i found vizio model #VW37L, which is a 37" lcd tv.

that model has a vga input labeled 'rgb pc'. this will be the best way to go. since the computer is newer, i'm assuming it has dvi outputs. if so, it likely came with a dvi to vga adapter. hook that up and you're set.

another option is to get a dvi to hdmi adapter. however, i think this option would be more costly and would be more temperamental.

-M

edit: here's a link & a pic...

Walmart.com: Vizio 37" Class LCD HDTV with Digital Tuner, VW37L : TVs (http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5684931)

http://i.walmartimages.com/i/p/00/85/73/80/00/0085738000090_AV_500X500.jpg

Oh GAWD the Smell!
06-05-2008, 09:35 AM
You can usually make it work...Depending on your hookups of course...But the problem I've always had is finding a cord long enough to do it.

I wound up ordering a 15' long SVGA and a couple of others a while back.

Now I don't use them...So if you figure out what you're going to need, let me know. I may have it sitting around taking up space.

Martin
06-05-2008, 09:42 AM
good point... for greater lengths, it would probably be easier to run hdmi than vga cables. vga cables require more shielding and are therefore harder to work with. the trick, however, is the computer's video card... if it doesn't output an hdcp compliant signal, the hdmi port on the tv will refuse to accept it.

-M

Oh GAWD the Smell!
06-05-2008, 09:49 AM
I've used a few different kinds, including DVI. I had the best luck as far as ease of compatibility was the sVGA one. It looked fine when run off my laptop to the DLP big screen.

CuatrodeMayo
06-05-2008, 09:51 AM
I have the same setup at home. I love it but the 720p doesn't show very small text at a distance, so beware.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
06-05-2008, 09:59 AM
That's one of the reasons I don't do it very often. I've got a widescreen monitor on my laptop, and it's simply got more resolution than the TV...Plus, I usually have the TV on while I have my laptop...Well...In my lap.

CuatrodeMayo
06-05-2008, 10:20 AM
My lappy is for actual working. I have a separte desktop that powers my LCD. I mainly use it for entertainment with Windows Vista Media Center.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
06-05-2008, 10:33 AM
My laptop is strictly a vehicle for accessing my server...Recreation only at the house.

I play with this stuff too much at work to want to do it much at home.

metro
06-05-2008, 10:50 AM
I'm a little confused with all the tech talk. Basically I have no HDMI outputs. I do have the RGB PC type output on the back of the computer as well as another one about same size or so with 5 pins on top and then 4 pins on bottom. Same smashed ovular shape as above. Ideally I'd like to do HDMI to HDMI since it'd probably be easier and better quality, but the computer doesn't have HDMI. Please clarify and make sure the tv in question has the capabilities I"ll need to stream video from the computer to the LCD.

Walmart.com: Vizio 37" Class LCD HDTV with Digital Tuner, VW37L : TVs (http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5684931)

Martin
06-05-2008, 11:02 AM
gotcha...

given the computer, hdmi really isn't an option. all you need is a standard vga monitor cable... you've probably already got one lying around.

connect the "rgb pc" input on the tv with the similarly shaped connector on the pc. the video quality will be comparable to what you would've gotten with hdmi.

-M

Oh GAWD the Smell!
06-05-2008, 11:53 AM
Oh...And for ALL you cabling needs....DON'T GO TO BEST BUY, CIRCUIT, CITY, OR EVEN RADIO SHACK!!!!

Go to monoprice.com

HDMI cables will cost you $50 and up at the local joints. I got four 6' ones for $20 shipped from monoprice.

Martin
06-05-2008, 12:31 PM
i'll second that... i was happy with the cables i've ordered from monoprice. if you buy locally, you'll get ripped off. stores like bestbuy make their biggest margins on cables.

-M

metro
06-05-2008, 01:18 PM
Thanks guys, sounds like I'll try the VGA route. I'll report back once we get everything going.

venture
06-06-2008, 08:17 AM
CablesToGo.com is also a good one, they also have the convertors should you need to go that route.

Midtowner
06-06-2008, 08:29 AM
Oh...And for ALL you cabling needs....DON'T GO TO BEST BUY, CIRCUIT, CITY, OR EVEN RADIO SHACK!!!!

Go to monoprice.com

HDMI cables will cost you $50 and up at the local joints. I got four 6' ones for $20 shipped from monoprice.

^ Sage advice.

Digital is digital. I don't care if it's diamond plated and wrapped in ten sheets of solid moon rock. It will sound exactly the same as the $3.00 monoprice cable.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
06-06-2008, 08:35 AM
Yup. HDMI/DVI is strictly 1's and 0's. It's either on or off...No chance of degradation of signal quality.

Speaker cables are a bit different, but you KNOW if Monster and the others mark their other cables up 500%...They're talking out their a$$ on everything else.

Speaking of HT stuff....I need another amp and another sub :D

Toadrax
06-08-2008, 11:31 PM
It isn't really true to say that digital is digital... the "signal" isn't ON or OFF anymore. HDMI doesn't even use the manchester encoding we were shown back in high school.

HDMI cables will be labeled somewhere as category 1 or category 2 certified and those certification guarantee their ability to meet certain requirements. Those requirements become harder to meet as the cable becomes longer.

A cable that meets the requirements meets the requirements and that is as good as it gets, but a cable that is damaged or that did not meet the requirements(made in China lol) can still give you a degraded image, skipped frames, or not work at all.

That being said, Monster cables and gold plating is still a ripoff.. you should still stay away from cables that are from a cheap and questionable brand. You are also less likely to get screwed on a shorter cable.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
06-09-2008, 08:17 AM
It isn't really true to say that digital is digital... the "signal" isn't ON or OFF anymore. HDMI doesn't even use the manchester encoding we were shown back in high school.

HDMI cables will be labeled somewhere as category 1 or category 2 certified and those certification guarantee their ability to meet certain requirements. Those requirements become harder to meet as the cable becomes longer.

A cable that meets the requirements meets the requirements and that is as good as it gets, but a cable that is damaged or that did not meet the requirements(made in China lol) can still give you a degraded image, skipped frames, or not work at all.

That being said, Monster cables and gold plating is still a ripoff.. you should still stay away from cables that are from a cheap and questionable brand. You are also less likely to get screwed on a shorter cable.

Hmmmm...Weird...I've gotten a bad one before...And there was ZERO degradation in signal quality before it would just shut off. The picture worked or it didn't. I played with it for weeks to test it out and couldn't tell the difference between it and the good cable (when the bad one worked).

Toadrax
06-09-2008, 09:31 AM
What does it mean that an HDMI cable is "Certified"? -- Blue Jeans Cable (http://www.bluejeanscable.com/articles/certified-hdmi-cables.htm)

Explains the situation a little better than I do...

That company is a little overpriced, but I buy from them because the cable is made in America and I support American goods the best I can.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
06-09-2008, 11:51 AM
Thanks for the link!

I've bought some stuff from them too.

Martin
06-09-2008, 02:03 PM
the owner of blue jeans cable is pretty much my hero... read an article around a month ago where monster cable was trying to pull a frivolous patent/trademark infringement cease & desist on the company... turns out the owner is an attorney and taught monster a thing or two...

-M

Toadrax
06-09-2008, 04:45 PM
Blue Jeans Cable Strikes Back - Response to Monster Cable — Audioholics Home Theater Reviews and News (http://www.audioholics.com/news/industry-news/blue-jeans-strikes-back)

The best line in the whole thing was..

If you sue me, the case will go to judgment, and I will hold the court's attention upon the merits of your claims--or, to speak more precisely, the absence of merit from your claims--from start to finish. Not only am I unintimidated by litigation; I sometimes rather miss it.

MadMonk
06-09-2008, 08:40 PM
I love it! :D