View Full Version : Southside OKC Memories....anyone?

Generals64
09-14-2008, 07:20 PM
Originally Mayridge church were some military housing moved in there from somewhere and Airline Motel was always kind of an "hourly" type cock roach infested, bed bug ridden dump.. Even in it's best of times. DID YOU EVER GO SWIMMING AT BLACK HAWK swimming pool at N.E. 23rd and now I-35??? Don't tell me, you knew the owner either.....
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Never heard or Black Hawk swimming pool....WE used to go over around Crutcho Creek but, that's not a southside hang out....The Airline I was talking about was the
shopping center.....and, if you want to meet Joe let me know, and I'll take you down there he's been trying to sell me a sewing machine for some time.....You are right about the military barracks.....as kids we crawled under and set the foundation blocks when they were moving the buildings...we being being myself, Danny Parker,etc.....

Prunepicker
09-14-2008, 08:55 PM
RAMBLING'S OF AN OL' NOSTALGIA FREAK!

Remember any of these:

1. Stereo City and the FOUR track players. I still have some plus the tapes.
2. Yount's Super Market
3. Griff's Hamburger's, 1st 15 cent burgers in town.
4. Beverly's chicken in the rough on 23rd and classen.
5. The Daily Oklahoman paper drops, one on Barnes just east of Penn 44 Bowling Alley, another at s.w 37th on robinson.
6. The Rancher's Daughter.
7. "The Big Swing is to Dennis Donuts."
8. Shipman's cafe at reno and blackwelder and 10th and S. robinson.

1. Stereo City and Tape Town! I had a 4 track in my '59 Peugeot.
2. In the Rancho Village Shopping Center. Rancho Drive and Johnson?
3. On S.W. 44th just west of Penn. It was a little league stop.
4. How about the big just north of the capitol?
5. And the one on S. Agnew where the Checkmate Theater was.
6. On N.W. 23rd near Meridian.
7. They were great. The one on S.W. 59th was a paperboy hang out.
8. All the biscuits, butter and honey you could eat with every meal

cindyl57
09-15-2008, 07:05 AM
How about Coot's Convenience and Meat (underage Beer)
When we moved into Moore in 68, Mr. Coots was so good to us.
He would let us buy a few grocerys on credit until payday if we had to...My Dad was a carpentar and you know in the winter months, there were times he couldn't work...
He was a good man...Mr. Coots passed away a few weeks ago.
His son has had the store for quite some time. Now it is a place to eat...
They do not sell beer either...lol
I never knew you could get underage beer there...but since he knew my Mom and Dad..probably not a good idea for me to purchase beer there.

Remember when Moore had no traffic lights. We lived on 34th st and Shields...Every Friday and Saturday night you would hear brakes screaching and CRASH...The first Traffic light in Moore...Shields and 27th(104th)

Redskins/General
09-15-2008, 08:49 AM
When we moved into Moore in 68, Mr. Coots was so good to us.
He would let us buy a few grocerys on credit until payday if we had to...My Dad was a carpentar and you know in the winter months, there were times he couldn't work...
He was a good man...Mr. Coots passed away a few weeks ago.
His son has had the store for quite some time. Now it is a place to eat...
They do not sell beer either...lol
I never knew you could get underage beer there...but since he knew my Mom and Dad..probably not a good idea for me to purchase beer there.

Remember when Moore had no traffic lights. We lived on 34th st and Shields...Every Friday and Saturday night you would hear brakes screaching and CRASH...The first Traffic light in Moore...Shields and 27th(104th)
Unless I've lost what little mind I have, there were "Coors" neon beer signs put in the windows of "Coots" a few weeks back. Check it out if your by there and I apoligize in advance if I was mistaken. I actually was referring to the years of 1961 thru 1969 as a place kids could buy beer. Certainly did not intend to offend anyone. The son is one great guy and I get my Bar-B-Q there quite often. Please let me know what you find out. Thanks,

crappiehead
09-15-2008, 12:18 PM
My wife also shook his hand that day, while watching with her dad!!!!!!

crappiehead
09-15-2008, 12:35 PM
I would NEVER EVER thought of Wee-Woe again in my life, but, do remember him being a mentally challenged paper boy walking the southside area forever; and he would chase you, if you messed with him, we found out the hard way!!!!

crappiehead
09-15-2008, 12:55 PM
R/G WHO ARE YOU; just when I had it, you slipped away; your knowledge of southside stuff amazes me!!!! I've gotten old, maybe too much of that early age (underage beer), hahah; did have some at Tiny Tim's and Coots in their day! I've shopped at Yount's, drank many a soda at Rancho Drug, had my hair chopped to pieces a 100 times in that little barber shop in Rancho Shop. Ctr., used to give the old couple in Hollie's Variety Store cardiac arrest acting like we were going to "kipe" something, it was just one of those annoying things to do regularly! I threw papers out of Station I on 44th for a while, station manager was Beetle Bailey! I didn't last long as a paper boy, the early hours sucked! Shipman's Cafe had the best, hottest, freshest bread rolls EVER, and plenty of butter and honey to go on them, and they just kept em coming!!!! Remember riding to packing town with my dad when I was a weeee tike, and watching him pull into an old gas station on the east side of Agnew to buy whiskey from a bootlegger (1950 or 1951)! Wow, been a while ago!!!!!!!

Prunepicker
09-15-2008, 01:07 PM
Shipman's Cafe had the best, hottest, freshest
bread rolls EVER, and plenty of butter and honey
to go on them, and they just
kept em coming!

A polite correction. They were BISCUITS! Flour, lard and milk.

Transfat rulz!

YEAH!

You must be a Yankee or a commie spy... I've never been able to
tell the difference :tiphat:

Generals64
09-15-2008, 02:01 PM
Unless I've lost what little mind I have, there were "Coors" neon beer signs put in the windows of "Coots" a few weeks back. Check it out if your by there and I apoligize in advance if I was mistaken. I actually was referring to the years of 1961 thru 1969 as a place kids could buy beer. Certainly did not intend to offend anyone. The son is one great guy and I get my Bar-B-Q there quite often. Please let me know what you find out. Thanks,

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MR. Coots and his two brothers were all pretty good guys..Coots new the meat business. His son has the business for sale or the building for lease. I was talking to him the other day and he had gotten a job at Tinker. I think this is his last week though....

Prunepicker
09-15-2008, 02:29 PM
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MR. Coots and his two brothers were all pretty good guys. Coots
knew the meat business. His son has the business for sale or the
building for lease. I was talking to him the other day and he had
gotten a job at Tinker. I think this is his last week though...

You guys blow my mind when it comes to knowing the owners of
the businesses we used to patronize. I never knowingly met Rudy,
or Jim (IGA), Coots or anybody who was a proprietor.

I knew who the school principals were and the teachers that gave
the hardest swats. Anybody remember Coach Wooden? Good grief,
he could swing a mean paddle. Every morning I'd show up to class
and bend over. SWAT! OUCH!

Oooops. I just gave away who I am. But that's okay... I'll deny it!

Generals64
09-15-2008, 02:38 PM
You guys blow my mind when it comes to knowing the owners of
the businesses we used to patronize. I never knowingly met Rudy,
or Jim (IGA), Coots or anybody who was a proprietor.

I knew who the school principals were and the teachers that gave
the hardest swats. Anybody remember Coach Wooden? Good grief,
he could swing a mean paddle. Every morning I'd show up to class
and bend over. SWAT! OUCH!

Oooops. I just gave away who I am. But that's okay... I'll deny it!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Pruner:....I used to own a group of Variety stores and one of them was right in the middle of where all three of the brothers lived. The store was about 3/4 of a mile from Coots Grocery Store/Bar-B-Q/Antiques store...It's still there or it was about an hour ago. Jim Price's kids all went to Grant....and he had them all work in the stores in one capacity or the other....Linda Price was pretty cute.....Jim also had a store at 44th/May that he bought from his brother Foy who had the first store there in Mayridge. My Dad was along haul truck driver and he hauled produce back to them in the 50's/60'....guess who got to unload it for them...Yep, yours truly......And, I was in management for T.G.&Y. and we would meet the store owners that were in the shopping centers. Whether Store Manager, Asst. Manager or even dept. Manager (S.W. 74th/Penn).

Generals64
09-15-2008, 02:41 PM
A polite correction. They were BISCUITS! Flour, lard and milk.

Transfat rulz!

YEAH!

You must be a Yankee or a commie spy... I've never been able to
tell the difference :tiphat:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Pruner:....for what it's worth, I have Shipman's Biscuit recipe. If you want it, I'll give it to you at the next SOUTHSIDE GET TOGETHER.....Wonder if anymore will show themselves?......Southeast keeps talking about it..Where's FRISKY?

Prunepicker
09-15-2008, 02:51 PM
Jim Price's kids all went to Grant....and he had them all work in the stores
in one capacity or the other... Jim also had a store at 44th/May

Mom used to shop at Jim's. I liked going there. The butcher would sell 10 cent
ham samiches. The were dry but who cared! Mom would but a bunch of them
and we'd fix'em up!

A ham samich for 10 cents! A Dennis donut for a nickle!

Prunepicker
09-15-2008, 02:58 PM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Pruner... for what it's worth, I have Shipman's Biscuit recipe. If you want it,
I'll give it to you at the next SOUTHSIDE GET TOGETHER... Wonder if anymore
will show themselves? Southeast keeps talking about it... Where's FRISKY?

Bring the recipe, that is if I can make it! We talked about Cattleman's. Is that the
place? I've got so many gigs in October I'm not sure which way is up, and that's
good.

Did I mention anything about bringing the recipe? You can send it via private
message, too! So help me, I bet it's just flour, lard and milk.

I think Frisky got arrested and incarcerated for a parking ticket. You know how
he drives... There may be a battery charge for attacking a parking meter but
that may just be hearsay or something I made up.

Prunepicker
09-15-2008, 03:01 PM
Frisky and I visited for another 1/2 hour after everybody was gone. It's
amazing how small the world gets when you start reminiscing. He may have
bought a go-cart engine from us but after thinking about it it may have been
from a go-cart racer who lived on 62nd.

Generals64
09-15-2008, 03:22 PM
Frisky and I visited for another 1/2 hour after everybody was gone. It's
amazing how small the world gets when you start reminiscing. He may have
bought a go-cart engine from us but after thinking about it it may have been
from a go-cart racer who lived on 62nd.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Cattlemen's is good for me....The wife said if we went during the week at an evening time she wanted to go again...May the other followers would have an input on this. Do you remember Ellen's Diner? my mom worked there for a while during the late 50's...I was so enamored with their salad dressing I told the lady that ran the place (Ellen had about 6 diners around OKC)....I'd help clean up one night if she would give me some of the dressing.....I turned around and saw her making it....it ruined my dream...one-half Mayonaise and one half Ketchup 2tsps. Garlic, 2 tsps. of salt...voila.....I thought it was some magic combination so, my next quest was for Cattlemen's dressing....it's been posted....took years to get that one......

let me know or, if ANYONE else has a better idea for next month let us know....I only hope we have the other group that was with us last Saturday...

see ya next time:.................

Redskins/General
09-15-2008, 03:22 PM
Wee-Woe worked for the Capitol Hill Beacon newspaper !!

Generals64
09-15-2008, 03:26 PM
Mom used to shop at Jim's. I liked going there. The butcher would sell 10 cent
ham samiches. The were dry but who cared! Mom would but a bunch of them
and we'd fix'em up!

A ham samich for 10 cents! A Dennis donut for a nickle!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jim Price bought a ranch down around McAlister and really got involved with it. I don't know if he is still alive but I know that Jim jr. is however, I don't know where he lives now. Linda graduated from Grant in '65.....cute freckled face girl.....I had a saddle that Jim wanted, he all but promised me the moon for the saddle however, I gave it my dad for Father's day one year....He REALLY wanted it and he got it...no strings attached.

Redskins/General
09-15-2008, 03:36 PM
Jim Price senior did pass away a few years back. He did have a ranch but he considered it to be at Lake Eufaula which is actually the McAlester area. My father-in-law and banker use to frequent his ranch quite often. He was a grouchy old-so in-so !! Most people think his convenience stores were named after his son Jimmy, "Little Jim's" but they weren't. The reason I say that is I ask Jimmy about and he told me some story on why there was no connection. Him and his dad never got along. His Dad actually named them after himself. Jimmy Price is living in Dallas, Tx and owns a string of Hair and Nail salon's. Sounds hard to believe, but as they say - "Fact is stranger the Fiction"

Prunepicker
09-15-2008, 03:36 PM
Hey Cattlemen's is good for me...

Monday and Tuesday are normally good as far as evenings go.

Let us know!

Prunepicker
09-15-2008, 03:41 PM
Most people think his convenience stores were named after his son
Jimmy, "Little Jim's" but they weren't.

I was getting ready to ask if Jim Price owned "Little Jim's" Wasn't the first one on
the S.W. corner of 29th and May? My dad told me he named them 'Little Jim's"
because the grocery stores were 'big'.

Did he have any stores in Shanhai? Tibet? Baja California? Ohio?

FRISKY
09-15-2008, 04:00 PM
My interwebnets has been on the fritz.

I will try to remember to bring a bicycle tag to the next get-together.

Redskins/General
09-15-2008, 05:14 PM
I was getting ready to ask if Jim Price owned "Little Jim's" Wasn't the first one on
the S.W. corner of 29th and May? My dad told me he named them 'Little Jim's"
because the grocery stores were 'big'.

Did he have any stores in Shanhai? Tibet? Baja California? Ohio?
Mr. Prunepicker: That makes sense on the "Little Jim's" convenience stores. I just happened to be about Jimmy's age and we were good friends and ran around together. A little off the subject, but did you know that "Generals64" has the Colonel's secret receipe for Fried Chicken, I'm serious - He has the 11 special herbs and spices's receipe locked in a mayonaise jar in his safety deposit box. He will deny it to the end of the world, but he is holding out on all of us. Fact has it that the Colonel has contemplated suicide over his possesion of it !! ONLY KIDDING MR. G64 - remember what they say, if you don't laugh at yourself - everyone else will. Got to love that G64 guy !! Sure wish I knew who he was?????? LOL go ahead, laugh G64 - life's to short for anything else..

Prunepicker
09-15-2008, 05:27 PM
Sure wish I knew who he was.

His name is Fred Abersheim. I think his dad owned a gas station just north of
Moore. We went to different schools apart and at Grant at the same time only the
years were different.

Redskins/General
09-15-2008, 05:29 PM
His name is Fred Abersheim. I think his dad owned a gas station just north of
Moore. We went to different schools apart and at Grant at the same time only the
years were different.
Sounds like a bunch of BH to me!! Ha! Ha!

Redskins/General
09-15-2008, 05:53 PM
Where you be Mr. BMRSNR ???????????????//

Need some of your football input.....

Generals64
09-15-2008, 07:11 PM
Mr. Prunepicker: That makes sense on the "Little Jim's" convenience stores. I just happened to be about Jimmy's age and we were good friends and ran around together. A little off the subject, but did you know that "Generals64" has the Colonel's secret receipe for Fried Chicken, I'm serious - He has the 11 special herbs and spices's receipe locked in a mayonaise jar in his safety deposit box. He will deny it to the end of the world, but he is holding out on all of us. Fact has it that the Colonel has contemplated suicide over his possesion of it !! ONLY KIDDING MR. G64 - remember what they say, if you don't laugh at yourself - everyone else will. Got to love that G64 guy !! Sure wish I knew who he was?????? LOL go ahead, laugh G64 - life's to short for anything else..
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HA_HA_HA:......If you really ran with Jimmy Price how many stores did he have and where were the locations?...No, the first one was not on 29th st.....They were named little Jim's because of 1. The size (and if you remember they started during the convenience craze) 2. Jimmy ran them NOT Jim. At that time Jim's son-in-law (can't remember his name) was running the two large stores and this put Jimmy in the smaller stores. They were very successful however.....This was also the time that Jim went to McAlister and started raising Charolais Cattle....Did you know that?????
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

grantgeneral78
09-15-2008, 07:14 PM
does anyone know what happened to the turks?

Generals64
09-15-2008, 07:16 PM
Either one of those days is good for us....I'm headed to the Gulf Coast this Sunday I have to get started back to work. The Debris clean-up guys I use called today and said that the devastation was worse down there than During Katrina. It's also a wider swath....Let me know, either night is good....we could maybe get the little room in the back of the old cafe area.....

let me know.....

Generals64
09-15-2008, 07:19 PM
Monday and Tuesday are normally good as far as evenings go.

Let us know!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Either night is good for us...maybe we could get the room in the back of the old cafe...

Redskins/General
09-15-2008, 07:38 PM
Calm D O W N ...... Chawlee, as they say, when I said ran with, I should have said was a good friend of the family and we were in an organization together, which on many occasions we went for a few beers. He was not like a brother, but I knew him a LOT BETTER than most people! My mom, my sisters and one of my brothers knew him as well as I. HE TOLD me about the "Little Jim's" and his family dispute. His dad worked him like a dog, he didn't look like it but Jimmy was a work-a-holic in his older years. Ray bond was the guy your thinking of that ran "Big Jim's" stores as a manager which was his son-in-law married to Betty, Jimmy's older sister. Now see, I"m not bull crapping you, I KNOW THE PRICE family and my wife's family know's them 1000 times better - so let's put the Prices's to bed, OK!! Ray was a drunk if you remember and Betty finally divorced him. Big Jim was also a director of Stock Yards BAnk, which (not bragging) I was a pretty good customer of!! To end this difference of opinion, the stores were named what they were because of an EGO trip by Big Daddy Jim. That's all I can tell you........And the cattle were nothing but a Hobby which never made him a dime (which he didn't need anyway) and the rest of his family hated him!! End of this subject...Let's talk about pleasant experience's and not get so heated, OK???? Let's quit playing "Try to stump the Post" or I'm right and your wrong. We all have opinion's and some are based on fact and some not, right? This Thread is named "Southside Memorie's" and that's what it should be, fun and good times remembered by all. This will be my last sermon. I apologize to those I just offended including you, MY friend G64!!!! Man alive, that wore me out!!!!!!!!!!

Generals64
09-15-2008, 08:10 PM
Calm D O W N ...... Chawlee, as they say, when I said ran with, I should have said was a good friend of the family and we were in an organization together, which on many occasions we went for a few beers. He was not like a brother, but I knew him a LOT BETTER than most people! My mom, my sisters and one of my brothers knew him as well as I. HE TOLD me about the "Little Jim's" and his family dispute. His dad worked him like a dog, he didn't look like it but Jimmy was a work-a-holic in his older years. Ray bond was the guy your thinking of that ran "Big Jim's" stores as a manager which was his son-in-law married to Betty, Jimmy's older sister. Now see, I"m not bull crapping you, I KNOW THE PRICE family and my wife's family know's them 1000 times better - so let's put the Prices's to bed, OK!! Ray was a drunk if you remember and Betty finally divorced him. Big Jim was also a director of Stock Yards BAnk, which (not bragging) I was a pretty good customer of!! To end this difference of opinion, the stores were named what they were because of an EGO trip by Big Daddy Jim. That's all I can tell you........And the cattle were nothing but a Hobby which never made him a dime (which he didn't need anyway) and the rest of his family hated him!! End of this subject...Let's talk about pleasant experience's and not get so heated, OK???? Let's quit playing "Try to stump the Post" or I'm right and your wrong. We all have opinion's and some are based on fact and some not, right? This Thread is named "Southside Memorie's" and that's what it should be, fun and good times remembered by all. This will be my last sermon. I apologize to those I just offended including you, MY friend G64!!!! Man alive, that wore me out!!!!!!!!!!

O.K., you are officially a member of this thread so, that requires you to figure out the next meeting place and what time. We had kinda discussed Cattlemen's on a Monday or Tuesday night in October....When would be good for everyone....and, who was the guy that shot the other guy during the big fight from Grant???? if you're older than I then you should remember.....You never did answer about the school secretary....and, whatever happened to Tom smith's daughter????

Redskins/General
09-15-2008, 08:15 PM
O.K., you are officially a member of this thread so, that requires you to figure out the next meeting place and what time. We had kinda discussed Cattlemen's on a Monday or Tuesday night in October....When would be good for everyone....and, who was the guy that shot the other guy during the big fight from Grant???? if you're older than I then you should remember.....You never did answer about the school secretary....and, whatever happened to Tom smith's daughter????
See, your still trying to match wit's, (which I'm quite capable of) but I'm out if thats what this is all about..

Generals64
09-15-2008, 08:26 PM
Not trying to match wits, those are questions we have discuss on the thread and/or at one of the hot dog days. The shooting was discussed as there seemed to have been a shooting in the 70's and I mentioned the shooting where the guy killed the other and no one could remember who it was or what year....The school secretary ran off with one of the Principals....I had had a crush on Tom Smith's daughter and I just wondered what happened to her....I think her name was Linda????

FRISKY
09-15-2008, 08:57 PM
Mize was the principle's secretary's name in the 70s. She was married to an OCPD officer. I doubt she ran off with anyone; so you must be thinking of someone else.

BTW, she was a very beautiful lady with short blonde hair fixed in a style that was popular at the time.

crappiehead
09-16-2008, 06:55 AM
Gen64, I remember a big fight, where everyone drove out to the country; the last fight was between Alvin Turner and Roy Fort, Alvin lost the fight, but, returned to his car and was handed a gun by the son of an OKC detective, and he shot and killed Roy Fort!!!! One of your old neighbor's (JT) also fought that day!!!! It was a scarey time!!!! Alvin was in my dad's Sunday School class at Rancho Baptist!!!

crappiehead
09-16-2008, 06:58 AM
Not trying to match wits, those are questions we have discuss on the thread and/or at one of the hot dog days. The shooting was discussed as there seemed to have been a shooting in the 70's and I mentioned the shooting where the guy killed the other and no one could remember who it was or what year....The school secretary ran off with one of the Principals....I had had a crush on Tom Smith's daughter and I just wondered what happened to her....I think her name was Linda????
The only other shooting I remember was at the Round Table, Cecil Chadwell was shot by FW (don't want to use his name), but, he was a 63 grad and was running the joint at the time!!!!

TeriOKC
09-16-2008, 06:59 AM
Funny how everyone on the southside seems to be intertwined in some way or another.

My older sister, Sharon, dated Jim Price Jr. pretty seriously after his divorce back in the 1960's. I remember him bringing his little girl over to the house. and if I remember correctly, Jim was pretty darned good looking!

Generals64
09-16-2008, 07:04 AM
Gen64, I remember a big fight, where everyone drove out to the country; the last fight was between Alvin Turner and Roy Fort, Alvin lost the fight, but, returned to his car and was handed a gun by the son of an OKC detective, and he shot and killed Roy Fort!!!! One of your old neighbor's (JT) also fought that day!!!! It was a scarey time!!!! Alvin was in my dad's Sunday School class at Rancho Baptist!!!

That was the fight I was talking about...However, I don't remember JT being in the fight. I haven't seen him in many years. I talked with one of his brothers and he said he thought he lived somewhere in S.E. Oklahoma.

crappiehead
09-16-2008, 07:23 AM
Been busy lately entertaining little sis and bro in law; evacuated from Freeport, Texas due to Ike! Left yesterday, to see what's left down there!!!

When did Redding Shopping Center open up? Best I can rememer, around 1955? I thought, at the time it was great, the only place, back then we got to go shoppiing at was old Commerce Street or Capitol Hill!!! I remember when Redding opened up, they mailed out keys to all local residents to come in and try their keys in treasure chests in each store, for free prizes; I got lucky and opened the record stores treasure box and got a Fats Domino album with Blueberry Hill on it; thought there'd never be another poor day; those were the good times! I also loved buying all the sporting goods stuff at Andy Anderson's at Redding; that's where all us Little Leaguer's bought our baseball stuff!!!! Back then, you had to buy the color hat of your team, then letters, and have mom iron them on; we've come a long ways, huh?

Any southside little leaguer's out there? Seems like I heard Generals64 say he played for Chester A. Arthur! I remember them having an Indian boy on third base, with a cute nickname, (what was it Generals64?????), also, a real hard throwing pitcher with the initials TG, remember him, Generals64???? I played against yal several times!!! Remember all the moto names of all the southside elementary's? Filmore, Heronville, Columbus, Stan Watie, Lafayette, Arthur, Calvin Coolidge, Western Heights, Rancho Village; I remember them all but one, don't remember what WH was called!!!!

Generals64
09-16-2008, 09:31 AM
Been busy lately entertaining little sis and bro in law; evacuated from Freeport, Texas due to Ike! Left yesterday, to see what's left down there!!!

When did Redding Shopping Center open up? Best I can rememer, around 1955? I thought, at the time it was great, the only place, back then we got to go shoppiing at was old Commerce Street or Capitol Hill!!! I remember when Redding opened up, they mailed out keys to all local residents to come in and try their keys in treasure chests in each store, for free prizes; I got lucky and opened the record stores treasure box and got a Fats Domino album with Blueberry Hill on it; thought there'd never be another poor day; those were the good times! I also loved buying all the sporting goods stuff at Andy Anderson's at Redding; that's where all us Little Leaguer's bought our baseball stuff!!!! Back then, you had to buy the color hat of your team, then letters, and have mom iron them on; we've come a long ways, huh?

Any southside little leaguer's out there? Seems like I heard Generals64 say he played for Chester A. Arthur! I remember them having an Indian boy on third base, with a cute nickname, (what was it Generals64?????), also, a real hard throwing pitcher with the initials TG, remember him, Generals64???? I played against yal several times!!! Remember all the moto names of all the southside elementary's? Filmore, Heronville, Columbus, Stan Watie, Lafayette, Arthur, Calvin Coolidge, Western Heights, Rancho Village; I remember them all but one, don't remember what WH was called!!!!
The T.G.&Y. opened in 1956 at Reding Shopping Center. First store manager was Dan Kelly.....He passed away about 2 years ago. He was also the last true T.G.&Y. employee to be president of the company.
I can see the Indian boy, he lived on 51st off of drexel...close to Mike magerus. Remember TG very well. It hurt when he would hit you with a Dodgeball...always wanted to be on his team...I remember we tried to get and Indian kid (Chaweela) to play .... he never really would.....

crappiehead
09-16-2008, 10:23 AM
The T.G.&Y. opened in 1956 at Reding Shopping Center. First store manager was Dan Kelly.....He passed away about 2 years ago. He was also the last true T.G.&Y. employee to be president of the company.
I can see the Indian boy, he lived on 51st off of drexel...close to Mike magerus. Remember TG very well. It hurt when he would hit you with a Dodgeball...always wanted to be on his team...I remember we tried to get and Indian kid (Chaweela) to play .... he never really would.....
Well, at least I was close in thinking 1955, but, maybe missed it a year!!! I wouldn't of thought of MM in a million years, but, that little red headed freckle faced guy had more freckles than anyone I EVER remember; I also remember his big bro Kenny, they looked nothing alike, Kenny got all the looks in that family! Kenny ran with your neighbor JT alot!!!! Gen64, Chaweela is not his nickname, must of been 2 Indians on the team, but, I don't remember Chaweela!!! TG is also a 64 Grant graduate! Did you, or did you not play on that Chester A. Arthur little league team? I thought, in an earlier post, you DID!!!! JT's little bro BT did play on that team!!!! I had an Uncle that coached there on older teams with players like Tim Edwards (a great basketball player at Grant in early 60's), JT, Elvon Ross (a great catcher), and many more!!!! TG went through a name change, I think involved in divorce and adoption settlement, he used to be TF, and had to change his name!!!!

crappiehead
09-16-2008, 10:37 AM
Redskins/General feed some good info, i'll figure out who you are!!
You must be a big OU fan, by your handle? The Sooners couldn't look much better so far this year, huh??? I see another big show down with Missou this year; of coarse, we've got a few games to get through for a rematch, huh? How 'bout OU vs USC in a national championship game, how nice would that be? Although, lately, bowl games haven't been our specialty; especially the Fiesta Bowl!!!! GO BIG RED!!!!!!!

Generals64
09-16-2008, 10:56 AM
Well, at least I was close in thinking 1955, but, maybe missed it a year!!! I wouldn't of thought of MM in a million years, but, that little red headed freckle faced guy had more freckles than anyone I EVER remember; I also remember his big bro Kenny, they looked nothing alike, Kenny got all the looks in that family! Kenny ran with your neighbor JT alot!!!! Gen64, Chaweela is not his nickname, must of been 2 Indians on the team, but, I don't remember Chaweela!!! TG is also a 64 Grant graduate! Did you, or did you not play on that Chester A. Arthur little league team? I thought, in an earlier post, you DID!!!! JT's little bro BT did play on that team!!!! I had an Uncle that coached there on older teams with players like Tim Edwards (a great basketball player at Grant in early 60's), JT, Elvon Ross (a great catcher), and many more!!!! TG went through a name change, I think involved in divorce and adoption settlement, he used to be TF, and had to change his name!!!!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Two JT's lived by me. One next door (that's who I was referring to) and the one at the end of the block..BT's brother....BT passed away a few years ago....Yes, I played on the team..wasn't any good though...Mr. Knipp was our coach his oldest son was catcher...BT was I think short Stop..I think the Indian kid's name was mcGillberry.....first name was Dale....His mother ALWAYS had something to eat if you went over there. MM has a car lot on N.E. 23rd and Midwest Blvd. Help me out on who you are? My wife and I have tried our darndest to figure you and Redskins/General out. I think I've got him down to a few names...He was older than we are and I apologize to everyone if I seemed upset...No bother...I just HAVE to keep my mind working I don't want to wake up some morning and not know who I am.....There are a bunch of people retiring and moving to Eufaula. My wife's sister was on the boat that capsized a few weeks ago down there.....

How about Chuck Thomas? There was a good ball player....He was killed in Viet Nam as well as Danny Parker.......I got a call about the memorial they put in the new Grant about one of the guys we went to school with and I told them that if he was dead I was in trouble since he was at the last class reunion.....JT is seemingly very successful in the sheet metal business saw him and his wife not long ago.......

I'm trying to get my equipment ready to go to Galveston Island so I better get back after it...

See ya next time:........................

Generals64
09-16-2008, 11:01 AM

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
One More:.....I think Knipp was the one that came up with this:.........
Chickasaw
Choctaw
Cherokee
Creek
Arthur TIGERSHARKS can't be beat:...........But we did.......I don't know where those kids from Columbus came from...They had to be the biggest Elementary kids I ever saw.

crappiehead
09-16-2008, 02:56 PM
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
One More:.....I think Knipp was the one that came up with this:.........
Chickasaw
Choctaw
Cherokee
Creek
Arthur TIGERSHARKS can't be beat:...........But we did.......I don't know where those kids from Columbus came from...They had to be the biggest Elementary kids I ever saw.
The Columbus Zebra's were a bunch of punks, the only big guy they had was Raymond on first base!!! We never lost to them; but, they were good! Coach Jones built the team around his son Kenny, and he was good, but, they never could handle us! Coach Jones picked me up, the summer after 6th grade for an all star team, and even got us uniforms, and we played in a tournement in Blanchard (the only night lights around then), the best years of my life; I loved baseball!!! The team we couldn't handle back then was Lafayette, and you know why; they had a potential "big leaguer" on their team; guess who it was? Played against him in 1956, 7, and 8; my claim to fame!!!! Even got into a fight with him on second base!!!! Hey Gen64 tell me your pitcher's last name (TG); I'm starting to think you were a mascot and not a player! The Indian nickname certainly didn't float!!!! Everyone knew his nickname!!! Well, almost everyone!!!!! Why do you want to know who I am? I didn't set out to figure out who you were, but, Ray Charles could see the clues you were dropping, and I wasn't even trying! I'm just a modest retiree, fishin everyday, tryin to enjoy the good life; and enjoying these "flashbacks" from the past! Ole Prunpicker, Redskins/General keep me entertained with their trivia; nuthin like a good ole "southsider"!!!!! And by the way, I'm close to knowing who Redskins/General is; I know this, he was a little leager playing for Filmore a couple of years ahead of me!!! He knew a cousin of mine at Heronville, and it has to be a baseball connection; Crappiehead is hot on his trail though, hahaha!!!!! Good luck in Texas with your "clean up crew" latching onto some damaged merchandize!!!!! Where do you store it all once you get it up here? Must have a humongous warehouse somewhere!!!! Later.

crappiehead
09-16-2008, 03:36 PM
General64, I think Smith's daughter's name was Judith, at least I just looked in a 1959 yearbook, and I think that's her!!!!

crappiehead
09-16-2008, 03:50 PM
What was the name, if any, of the private dairy that was on SW (or SE) 59th? I'm thinking it was near Walker.
Picker, it was Cape's Dairy; all the decendents are used car jockeys in Norman now!!!!!

Generals64
09-16-2008, 05:14 PM
The Columbus Zebra's were a bunch of punks, the only big guy they had was Raymond on first base!!! We never lost to them; but, they were good! Coach Jones built the team around his son Kenny, and he was good, but, they never could handle us! Coach Jones picked me up, the summer after 6th grade for an all star team, and even got us uniforms, and we played in a tournement in Blanchard (the only night lights around then), the best years of my life; I loved baseball!!! The team we couldn't handle back then was Lafayette, and you know why; they had a potential "big leaguer" on their team; guess who it was? Played against him in 1956, 7, and 8; my claim to fame!!!! Even got into a fight with him on second base!!!! Hey Gen64 tell me your pitcher's last name (TG); I'm starting to think you were a mascot and not a player! The Indian nickname certainly didn't float!!!! Everyone knew his nickname!!! Well, almost everyone!!!!! Why do you want to know who I am? I didn't set out to figure out who you were, but, Ray Charles could see the clues you were dropping, and I wasn't even trying! I'm just a modest retiree, fishin everyday, tryin to enjoy the good life; and enjoying these "flashbacks" from the past! Ole Prunpicker, Redskins/General keep me entertained with their trivia; nuthin like a good ole "southsider"!!!!! And by the way, I'm close to knowing who Redskins/General is; I know this, he was a little leager playing for Filmore a couple of years ahead of me!!! He knew a cousin of mine at Heronville, and it has to be a baseball connection; Crappiehead is hot on his trail though, hahaha!!!!! Good luck in Texas with your "clean up crew" latching onto some damaged merchandize!!!!! Where do you store it all once you get it up here? Must have a humongous warehouse somewhere!!!! Later.

Tommy Gentry was the pitcher's name. I don't know what happened to him aftr high School. I don't remember the nick name of McGilberry but, he was the Indian kid that played on the team now he was an Indian (feather not dot)..Small guy and wired all the time...... I went all the way through the 12th grade with him. Redskins/General was more than a couple of years ahead of us...I have racked my brain and made some wild guesses I first thought of Alvin Burchett.... who has had some major heart problems...then Mike Smith...the thing that threw me is he described Mr. Coots and things to a T..... Now, the deal about Toni from both of you guys has my mind spinning like a clock....That's a part of my past that I want left alone.....the big Leaguer you mentioned must have been Bobby Murcer.
That's one who will be sorely missed. I still hve the wedding on that Mr. Murcer sold my wife....The deal with your knowing my sister's name has also thrown me. Now, you knowing about the used car people throws an angle towards M A....and Jackie......Hmmmm......You guys, I'm getting old and my mind is getting slow....
Oh well, I have one person that I sell all of the merchandise I get during a disaster and yes, he has a tremendous sized warehouse/store.....Hope to buy at least 100 tuck loads......

Generals64
09-16-2008, 05:16 PM

Tommy Gentry was the pitcher's name. I don't know what happened to him aftr high School. I don't remember the nick name of McGilberry but, he was the Indian kid that played on the team now he was an Indian (feather not dot)..Small guy and wired all the time...... I went all the way through the 12th grade with him. Redskins/General was more than a couple of years ahead of us...I have racked my brain and made some wild guesses I first thought of Alvin Burchett.... who has had some major heart problems...then Mike Smith...the thing that threw me is he described Mr. Coots and things to a T..... Now, the deal about Toni from both of you guys has my mind spinning like a clock....That's a part of my past that I want left alone.....the big Leaguer you mentioned must have been Bobby Murcer.
That's one who will be sorely missed. I still hve the wedding on that Mr. Murcer sold my wife....The deal with your knowing my sister's name has also thrown me. Now, you knowing about the used car people throws an angle towards M A....and Jackie......Hmmmm......You guys, I'm getting old and my mind is getting slow....
Oh well, I have one person that I sell all of the merchandise I get during a disaster and yes, he has a tremendous sized warehouse/store.....Hope to buy at least 100 tuck loads................Yes, Judith was her name......

Generals64
09-16-2008, 06:29 PM
CrappieHead:........we had a couple of guys that graduated with us that I have often wondered about...Maybe you can help..I haven't seen them since Graduation night. Don Brown....His dad owned a used car lot on 29th and Walker across from Jude N Jody. And, Richard Jones...His dad owned the Jones drug store in Hillcrest shopping center. Do you know anything about either of these guys???

Generals64
09-16-2008, 06:42 PM
CRAPPIEHEAD:....Something else interesting:.....I was looking for Danny Parker's grave out at resthaven and got twisted around. I looked over and down and saw Aaron Cummings (killed in Viet Nam) Grave and then noticed that I was standing on Semrad's grave. Cummings used to get busted by Semrad all the time...Semrad (when we were in Jr. High) was actually the Student Counselor.....I thought it ironic that they would be laid to rest next to each other ....I guess eternity is a long time.
Do you remember when we would play "Dodgeball" in Gym? The pitcher you were talking about was on the other team in class one day and it was down to him and a couple of others and I grabbed a Soft Dodgeball...I was leading a bit threw the ball and hit coach Brown in the side of the head. He was leaning back in his chair and pow he fell out...shouldn't have laughed....tht guy almost beat me to death with the paddle.....I was Black and blue for days....So much fun......

Prunepicker
09-17-2008, 02:35 PM
... and then noticed that I was standing on Semrad's
grave...

Did you get the feeling you were going be in detention for the rest of your life?

JaneyLynn
09-17-2008, 03:01 PM
I remember shopping at Jim's with my father on 44th and May. There use to be an ice machine on the corner. TG&Y was also there and a Laundry. On 44th between May and Penn there was Rootbeer Stand where they served frosted mugs and the trays they brought to yourcar had peanuts, cashews, cookies and crackers. They used the honor system, if you ate them you paid for them when they picked up the trays.

Generals64
09-17-2008, 03:02 PM
Did you get the feeling you were going be in detention for the rest of your life?
You know, the last swats I received were rom Semrad (6)...I fell the sting all over again and yet I very easily step off of his grave. Probably in respect but maybe out of fear. He was just too good at his job.............Was senor' Monajaras (sp) there when you went there? I he used to go to sleep during class right after roll call...remember aqui senor'.....Then class was over .........wish I had of listened more and study more now, I need to know Spanish more....How about Ms. Pendleton?...she was a terror with a ruler across your hands..... I know how to type well but the scars are still there....

See ya next time;...................

grantgeneral78
09-17-2008, 04:42 PM
The big slide that was on western is that not in fact the okie zip that was removed from the state fair? If so where was it moved to?

Generals64
09-17-2008, 05:56 PM
The big slide that was on western is that not in fact the okie zip that was removed from the state fair? If so where was it moved to?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A long time ago, my aunt worked at that slide on S. Western...Everything was going fine for some time.....Then, they had a kid pull a Coke Machine over on him and the
slide business went down the tubes.....The lady that owned it, closed it down and then it disappeared.......

Generals64
09-17-2008, 06:36 PM
I remember shopping at Jim's with my father on 44th and May. There use to be an ice machine on the corner. TG&Y was also there and a Laundry. On 44th between May and Penn there was Rootbeer Stand where they served frosted mugs and the trays they brought to yourcar had peanuts, cashews, cookies and crackers. They used the honor system, if you ate them you paid for them when they picked up the trays.
Hey Guys, we have anew old Southsider...Welcome...Do you remember where on 44th any closer?...There was a post Office in Mayridge...Western Auto...Barber Shop...T.G.&Y....Pay-less shoes....Foy's IGA (Jim's IGA) Shaw Drug..The Laundry and then a Seedy Bar.....Along with the Ice Machine....I remember riding our bicycles inside the building before they started sectioning off the different stores. They then started developing the neighborhood to the south....One of my fourth grade buddies was run and killed by one of the large pieces of Equipment....that's a bad southside memory......Does anyone remember anything about Gayla Peevey???

grantgeneral78
09-17-2008, 07:44 PM
Well that just sucks, some kids parents get sue happy and poof!..there is a guy on the southside that has one of the old trains from either the zoo or springlake. I cannot recall which it was from though. Some guys at grant during our senior year was going to kidnap the HAMBURGLAR and put him atop the school..you know what they say ...the best laid plans.....haha

Prunepicker
09-17-2008, 10:20 PM
I remember shopping at Jim's with my father on 44th
and May. There use to be an ice machine on the corner. TG&Y was also there and
a Laundry. On 44th between May and Penn there was Rootbeer Stand where they
served frosted mugs and the trays they brought to yourcar had peanuts,
cashews, cookies and crackers. They used the honor system, if you ate them you
paid for them when they picked up the trays.

Yo! Janey Lynn. You've officially made 1 (one) whole post :congrats:

Welcome to the list. The south siders are going to meet at Cattleman's next
month! It'll be a good time, after all "We've made the news!"

Jim's was where mom took us for grocery shopping.

HEY! YOU SOUTH SIDERS!!!

Who delivered your milk? Ours was Meadow Gold in glass jugs! But that was
after we got our milk at the dairy on 59th and Walker.