View Full Version : Southside OKC Memories....anyone?

SoonerDave
08-23-2008, 09:39 AM
in the late 70's, hillcrest and southern oaks merged into one congregation, renamed itself oakcrest and met at 52nd and walker... i used to go there. that congegation later moved to 89th and mckinley. consequently, shields church of christ (64th and shields) moved into the former oakcrest building and started calling themselves south walker church of christ. i know a bunch of people from hillcrest.

i think you've got it mixed up, teri... almonte was on 59th and may. it was southpark that sat on 44th and may. the theatres are long gone, but both buildings are still standing.

-M

And the Almonte building is creepy looking, because it looks like it was pretty much abandoned in place - that is, you can look in the windows and it still looks pretty much like it always did - they didn't pull out many of the fixtures, didn't bother to take down the sign, etc.

I remember standing in line at Almonte in June of 1982 to see the 2nd Star Trek movie, and I had stood in line at South Park to see the first one in December 1979...alas, as you note, both are long gone.

General, that Shakey's on Western is precisely the one I was remembering. I stood on the tabletop one time (but I don't think it was my birthday, though). I've heard lots of good things about Jo's in Purcell, but haven't tried it.

I remember when they built Winchester Drive In on Western, driving by each day as they put up one more section of the fabulous neon entrance sign with the waving cowboy. The marquee section used to be encircled in alternating red/green neon, but they took that part down years ago. I'm delighted that sign has endured the years, and they work hard to keep it running....

-David

Generals64
08-23-2008, 02:38 PM
Hey guys:............You missed a good time if you weren't at The Coney Island for Hot Dogs. Channel 9:....News 9 .com showed up from out of no where and did piece about this thread and the southside memories. Never know who is envious about being a southsider do you?
We want to do this again in a month or so and maybe more will attend.....Remember the South Rides Again:...............

1. Remember Bixlers?
2. How about the ole Salvo Tablets?
3. Who knows where Commerce Street is located?
4. How about the star of the T.V. series "Fury"? His brother was in another show.
5. Does anyone remember where Eskridge Oldsmobile was located?

WATCH FOR THE INTERNET STORIES ABOUT SOUTHSIDE OKC.

See ya Next time:.............................

FRISKY
08-23-2008, 03:09 PM
It was a good get-together! So many memories...so little time...

oneforone
08-23-2008, 03:10 PM
And the Almonte building is creepy looking, because it looks like it was pretty much abandoned in place - that is, you can look in the windows and it still looks pretty much like it always did - they didn't pull out many of the fixtures, didn't bother to take down the sign, etc.

I remember standing in line at Almonte in June of 1982 to see the 2nd Star Trek movie, and I had stood in line at South Park to see the first one in December 1979...alas, as you note, both are long gone.

General, that Shakey's on Western is precisely the one I was remembering. I stood on the tabletop one time (but I don't think it was my birthday, though). I've heard lots of good things about Jo's in Purcell, but haven't tried it.

I remember when they built Winchester Drive In on Western, driving by each day as they put up one more section of the fabulous neon entrance sign with the waving cowboy. The marquee section used to be encircled in alternating red/green neon, but they took that part down years ago. I'm delighted that sign has endured the years, and they work hard to keep it running....

-David

Round Up Pizza in Del City on 29th used to be a Shakey's It still looks like Shakey's on the inside. They have the best Fried Chicken in the metro. (Only 2nd to Eischens) If your looking for a cheap buffet try Round Up. It's only about 7.00 a person.

Prunepicker
08-23-2008, 03:32 PM
Hey you Southsiders,
You missed a fun time at Coney Island. It was almost like being online except you saw everybody in person and you weren't sitting in your underwear like you are now.

Generals64 brought his Fanner 50 and some locker handles for General78.

You better make it next time, which will be next month.

Later

andy157
08-23-2008, 03:36 PM
1A. Pitch and Putt? It had a 9 hole par 3, too. We played there several times.
1. No idea at the moment.
3 What's a library?
5. N.W. 10th & Council? House of Kawasaki.Do you also remember the trampolines and the watermelon stand that were in front of the miniture golf / par 3 course?

Generals64
08-23-2008, 04:16 PM
Do you also remember the trampolines and the watermelon stand that were in front of the miniture golf / par 3 course?

Andy, they also sold Fireworks in front of that course...long time ago...if we were fortunate to get fireworks at that stand my Mom & Dad would get us Frosted Root Beer at Coits Drive-In...Have you thought about Coit's in a while? They STILL have the Frosted Root Beer and the other Coit's things...except I'm too old to sit outside in the heat...
We missed you at the Coney Island....maybe next time....."Frisky" have you remembered the name of the Snooker Parlor yet?

andy157
08-23-2008, 04:23 PM
Andy, they also sold Fireworks in front of that course...long time ago...if we were fortunate to get fireworks at that stand my Mom & Dad would get us Frosted Root Beer at Coits Drive-In...Have you thought about Coit's in a while? They STILL have the Frosted Root Beer and the other Coit's things...except I'm too old to sit outside in the heat...
We missed you at the Coney Island....maybe next time....."Frisky" have you remembered the name of the Snooker Parlor yet?Sorry I'll try to make it next time. Not only do I have thoughts about Coits, I eat there at least once a week, sometimes more. Are you talking about Trueloves?

Generals64
08-23-2008, 04:40 PM
Truelove's might have been the name of the Snooker Parlor:....But, was it on the second floor on main street by Kip's Big boy:.......I remember Truelove's Domino parlor are they the same?

grantgeneral78
08-23-2008, 05:50 PM
Yes it was a blast today meeting all of yall, even the news9.com reporter joined in some of the memories I wont mention his name very confidential all in all, haha

Thanks again general64 for the handles they sure bring back some memories.

Me and the misses cannot wait till next time was a blast from the past!

ok here are a few:
1. name of furniture store on 29th and penn next to Del Rancho..by the way general64 (del rancho is still there).
2.who owned HORTON MOTORS?
3. Where was david brothertons last shop on 29th located?
4. Who owned the donught shop behind the old phillips 66 on 29th and penn?
5. And Finally, Where was the motorcycle shop located on 29th and what was the name of it?

andy157
08-23-2008, 05:51 PM
Truelove's might have been the name of the Snooker Parlor:....But, was it on the second floor on main street by Kip's Big boy:.......I remember Truelove's Domino parlor are they the same?I didn't know you were talking about the pool hall on Main St. That wasn't Trueloves. If we are talking about the pool hall on Main St. just West of the Crieterian(sp) theater on the second floor I believe that was the "Empire". I think there was a hat store on the first floor named Wormsers. Or something close to that name.

andy157
08-23-2008, 05:55 PM
Yes it was a blast today meeting all of yall, even the news9.com reporter joined in some of the memories I wont mention his name very confidential all in all, haha

Thanks again general64 for the handles they sure bring back some memories.

Me and the misses cannot wait till next time was a blast from the past!

ok here are a few:
1. name of furniture store on 29th and penn next to Del Rancho..by the way general64 (del rancho is still there).
2.who owned HORTON MOTORS?
3. Where was david brothertons last shop on 29th located?
4. Who owned the donught shop behind the old phillips 66 on 29th and penn?
5. And Finally, Where was the motorcycle shop located on 29th and what was the name of it?2. Darrel (sp) Warren.

grantgeneral78
08-23-2008, 07:58 PM
2. Darrel (sp) Warren.

Yup thats right andy, him and his wife cheryl lived across the stret from us.

hogfan
08-23-2008, 09:36 PM
TeriOKC and mmm -

Thanks for the replies! I still have a number of friends who are members at the Oakcrest church, but it gets harder to stay in touch as time passes. I remember well the merger between Southern Oaks and Hillcrest in about 1979 or so, wasn't it? The last time I was at Oakcrest (on 89th) was in 1995 when I spoke at the funeral service for a close family friend.

The theater that I remembered was definitely the Southpark at 44th and May. I saw some real classics there - Jaws, The Towering Inferno, Earthquake, Let's Do It Again with Bill Cosby and Sidney Poitier. Wow - that really takes me back!

My parents were good friends with Joe and Charlotte Dodson. Is the cafeteria on 59th still open? When I was there in '95 it was still open. I remember that roast beef!

My family would also occasionally eat at a little Italian restaurant - seems like it was on Penn or maybe Western, somewhere between 44th and 59th. I seem to remember the name was the Spaghetti House, or something like that. Does anyone remember?

Braum's was also a special treat. I have fond memories of Braum's since there are none in Arkansas!

Does anyone recall that Jeane Dixon (sp?), the famous psychic, predicted that the Crossroads Mall would collapse shortly after it opened in 1974 or 1975? My mother was telling this story a while back and we didn't believe. She then produced an old copy of the Daily Oklahoman with a story. What a scream!

andy157
08-23-2008, 10:07 PM
Yup thats right andy, him and his wife cheryl lived across the stret from us.D.W. was a good guy. One of a kind for sure. Hated to see him pass away so young.

SoonerGirl26
08-23-2008, 11:31 PM
Someone on here was wondering where Ed Cox was. Are talking about the Ed Cox that had he appliance store on Western around 67th or 68th who used to do the commercials as "Super Value Man" in a superman costume? If so, he died in December 2005.

SoonerGirl26
08-23-2008, 11:34 PM
Sorry I had to miss the lunch today, I just got back in town tonight. Sounds like you had a good turnout. Were there any of my fellow Spartans there? Is the next lunch scheduled yet?

grantgeneral78
08-24-2008, 04:48 AM
Someone on here was wondering where Ed Cox was. Are talking about the Ed Cox that had he appliance store on Western around 67th or 68th who used to do the commercials as "Super Value Man" in a superman costume? If so, he died in December 2005.

Well I`ll be that is sad to hear, Ed was such a good man he would give you the shirt off of his back. My wifes family was friends with him for years and the amount of time I got the pleasure of being around him left me with some good memories.

grantgeneral78
08-24-2008, 04:50 AM
D.W. was a good guy. One of a kind for sure. Hated to see him pass away so young.

Yea I liked Darryl he helped me out on numerous occasions. It was also sad when his brother died in his attic from installing that ceiling fan.

Martin
08-24-2008, 07:00 AM
and the almonte building is creepy looking, because it looks like it was pretty much abandoned in place - that is, you can look in the windows and it still looks pretty much like it always did - they didn't pull out many of the fixtures, didn't bother to take down the sign, etc.

check out these pics from 2004... (http://www.cinematour.com/tour/us/74.html)

-M

Martin
08-24-2008, 07:10 AM
i still have a number of friends who are members at the oakcrest church, but it gets harder to stay in touch as time passes. i remember well the merger between southern oaks and hillcrest in about 1979 or so, wasn't it? the last time i was at oakcrest (on 89th) was in 1995 when i spoke at the funeral service for a close family friend.

quite a bit has happened in 13 years... i'd bet that many of the people you know now go to southwest or southern ridge. southwest moved from sw 25th and agnew to their new building on 104th & may in 2002. southern ridge is the former northeast church of christ near 27th & i-35 in moore. their building was destroyed in the may 1999 tornado and they subsequently rebuilt on sw 134th & western in okc.

my parents were good friends with joe and charlotte dodson. is the cafeteria on 59th still open? when i was there in '95 it was still open. i remember that roast beef!

charlotte and joe are great people, though it's been a few years since i've seen them. unfortunately both of their cafeteria locations are closed. the one at 44th & western closed when southwest medical center expanded, thus taking out that shopping center. the location at 59th and penn has been closed for around ten years. the western end of that shopping center (where dodson's sat) was demolished around three-or-so years ago to make room for a small grocery store called aldi's.

-M

cindyl57
08-24-2008, 09:32 AM
Would have loved to meet you all...but..I had to go riding...lol
We had a great ride down to Turner falls and Lake Murray..there is a little Mom and Pop diner and store just at the end of the damn that is great..They make real food...
and is very reasonable...A hamburger and curly fries(real) is 3.75.

Any one ride Motorcycles...We are members of STAR Riding and Touring Association.
Our Chapter is Northwest OKC 378. But we have members from Crescent to Moore...and east to Midwest City and Choctaw...
A family group that supports Feed the Children. Sanctioned rides are suitable for families of all ages...No alcohol or adult stuff...
Not that we don't get together with the group on our own that we don't have some adult fun...but it is all about family and safety...
If you are looking for a group to ride with that is NOT the hells angels...lol we are your group...Most of us are late 40's to 60s...
Here is the link to our website...
STARCHAPTER 378.COM - Chapter 378 Home (http://www.starchapter378.com/site/index.php)

grantgeneral78
08-24-2008, 11:51 AM
Sorry I had to miss the lunch today, I just got back in town tonight. Sounds like you had a good turnout. Were there any of my fellow Spartans there? Is the next lunch scheduled yet?

I don`t know if any were Spartans, we were all having a good time though,were going to try to get together once a month...hope to see you there!

Generals64
08-24-2008, 01:11 PM
I don`t know if any were Spartans, we were all having a good time though,were going to try to get together once a month...hope to see you there!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I tried to answer you yesterday but, Old age set in and something went goofy on the computer. I hated to hear that about Ed Cox...You're right, he was a good guy.
Now, about your questions
1. The Drive-In thought you were referring to is located on the south side of 29th east of Penn. The Del Rancho that you are talking about used to be the Hamburger Inn.....
2. Brotherton's was West of there on the North side of the street I think.
3. The name escapes me about the Furniture store but, I remember them selling boatloads of Bean Bag Chairs.....
4. Doughnut guy?....Whew, I sold donuts door to door as a kid...Donuts don't do good to me. Don't know who that was though.
5. Horton Motors was Warren?......
6. The Mortorcycle shop (east of Agnew) was the Harley World....You can buy boots there now....

----------------------------------------------------
Who was the GREAT BOLO?
What did Boby Laden and Leroy Deshields do that made them famous names in OKC?

And, we've got to get next month planned....Where does eveyone want to go?

See Ya next time:.........................

Generals64
08-24-2008, 01:15 PM
1. WHAT WAS Foreman Scotty's Magic Word? Anybody up for that?
2. What was 3-D Danny's famous word....????
3. The name of the Star on Fury?
4. Do you remember Harry Volkman or Tom Paxton (not Padgham)...?

'PRUNEPICKER":................share some memories about Airline Shopping Center, these kids can't go back that far.

And, we did have a good time...hope more can and will come.

see ya next time.....

Prunepicker
08-24-2008, 01:53 PM
Do you also remember the trampolines and the watermelon stand that were in front of the miniture golf / par 3 course?

OH Yeah! Those trampolines were absolutely dangerous. How in the world did we survive. Cushing, a town in Oklahoma, had the same thing. If you weren't careful you'd stick your leg through one of those webbings and suddenly stop! That is YOU'D stop and the trampoline would continue. It made for some very interesting scenarios. OUCH! comes to mind.

Hey, you should have been at Coney Island today. Those Greeks make a great hot dog. The conversation were really good.

Your loss :0

Prunepicker
08-24-2008, 01:59 PM
Does anyone recall that Jeane Dixon (sp?), the famous psychic, predicted that the Crossroads Mall would collapse shortly after it opened in 1974 or 1975? My mother was telling this story a while back and we didn't believe. She then produced an old copy of the Daily Oklahoman with a story. What a scream!

She, or some psickic, predicted that the Myriad would also collapse.

Prunepicker
08-24-2008, 02:18 PM
1. WHAT WAS Foreman Scotty's Magic Word? Anybody up for that?
2. What was 3-D Danny's famous word...?
3. The name of the Star on Fury?
4. Do you remember Harry Volkman or Tom Paxton (not Padgham)...?

'PRUNEPICKER"... share some memories about Airline Shopping Center, these kids can't go back that far.

1. Nix-o-Billy
2. That escapes me. "Holy Flashback" or something?
3. Highlander Dale, Mr. Phelps from Mission Impossible, and Joey.
4. Tom Paxton had the TP show around noon on WKY 4.

The Airline shopping, which I just found out yesterday was the name of the place, was home of the Chieftain Theater. If nothing good was playing in Capitol Hill we'd go there. There was a motel behind the center on the east side, on Dumas Ave (?), where some guys were known to rent a room and drink. There was a fire station across the street.

It seems to me that everything in that center sold broken down junk. There was a Goodwill store, or something like it. Was there a grocery store?

Generals64
08-24-2008, 04:41 PM
1. Nix-o-Billy
2. That escapes me. "Holy Flashback" or something?
3. Highlander Dale, Mr. Phelps from Mission Impossible, and Joey.
4. Tom Paxton had the TP show around noon on WKY 4.

The Airline shopping, which I just found out yesterday was the name of the place, was home of the Chieftain Theater. If nothing good was playing in Capitol Hill we'd go there. There was a motel behind the center on the east side, on Dumas Ave (?), where some guys were known to rent a room and drink. There was a fire station across the street.

It seems to me that everything in that center sold broken down junk. There was a Goodwill store, or something like it. Was there a grocery store?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2. Synchrorectovertor:....you remember now don't you....Where was Bazark?
3. Peter Graves (James Arness's brother) was the star. Black Diamond was the name of the horse.
4. Harry Volkman was WKY (KTVY) weatherman during the beginning. Tom Paxton (as noted) had the show that was later Danny's Day (with Mary Hart).

Now, just because you lived in the affluent side of the Southside don't run down Airline. Yes, there were a few drinks taken at the Airline Motel.....Couple of shootings, couple of late night rendezvous, couple of stabbings that shouldn't be held against them. However Airline Shopping Center was one of the best on the southside. Otasco, Veazey Drug, Hardegree bakery,Humpty Dumpty, T.G.&Y., C.R. Anthony, Beck Jewelry (original one), Chieftain and some other late night stores etc.
i can remember when it used to snow in OKC and we would WALK ( old timey tansportation) two miles there and have a million snow ball fights on the way. Some of those Capitol Hill characters put rocks in the Snowballs. However, do you know how many kids would run from a Snow Ball with a Cherry Bomb in it? We may not have been financially wealthy but, we were resourceful.

See ya next time:....................Still had a good time Saturday...

SoonerGirl26
08-24-2008, 05:07 PM
[QUOTE=Generals64;163985]

QUOTE]

They both raced cars at Taft Stadium and later at the Fairgrounds in the 60's. Some of you might enjoy reading this....

Tidbits (http://users.icnet.net/~robertb/tidbits.htm)

Generals64
08-24-2008, 05:28 PM
[QUOTE=Generals64;163985]

QUOTE]

They both raced cars at Taft Stadium and later at the Fairgrounds in the 60's. Some of you might enjoy reading this....

Tidbits (http://users.icnet.net/~robertb/tidbits.htm)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Girl:...you can run with the old guys now. We will excuse your reasons for going to South East. When I was a little boy, I got my picture made with Carl Ferguson after he won the main race. When I was an older young man, I got to know Jude and Carol Northcutt (Carol Shipman). Carol was the trophy girl several times in my younger years and one we were at a party with Jude and Carol and some other people and I told her my dream was to kiss Carol Shipman after a Trphy race. POW:>>>> she kissed me right then.....My wife and everyone just about died laughing as I was not stupified, but, I finally got to kiss Carol Shipman.
Even though her husband and my wife were in the room.....Not a whole lot og guys my age can say that now. Carol passed away a few years leaving three kids.......Miss her............

Oh Yeah, a friend of mine has some of the OLD Taft Programs. I'll see if I can get some copies before the next Southside outing.

See ya next time...................

grantgeneral78
08-24-2008, 07:19 PM
I have a old fairgrounds speeway MAR-CAR poster that has a car #69 who was the driver? and there is another car but cannot see the number but the driver is bobby cagle.

grantgeneral78
08-24-2008, 07:57 PM
I tried to answer you yesterday but, Old age set in and something went goofy on the computer. I hated to hear that about Ed Cox...You're right, he was a good guy.
Now, about your questions
1. The Drive-In thought you were referring to is located on the south side of 29th east of Penn. The Del Rancho that you are talking about used to be the Hamburger Inn.....
2. Brotherton's was West of there on the North side of the street I think.
3. The name escapes me about the Furniture store but, I remember them selling boatloads of Bean Bag Chairs.....
4. Doughnut guy?....Whew, I sold donuts door to door as a kid...Donuts don't do good to me. Don't know who that was though.
5. Horton Motors was Warren?......
6. The Mortorcycle shop (east of Agnew) was the Harley World....You can buy boots there now....

----------------------------------------------------
Who was the GREAT BOLO?

And, we've got to get next month planned....Where does eveyone want to go?

See Ya next time:.........................

actually the motorcycle shop was MIKES CYCLES SHOP, he was a friend of peewee`s

Prunepicker
08-24-2008, 09:15 PM
[quote=Generals64;163985]
What did Boby Laden and Leroy Deshields do that made them famous names in OKC? They both raced cars at Taft Stadium and later at the Fairgrounds in the 60's. Some of you might enjoy reading this...

My first memories of Taft Stadium we from the late '50s and going to the stock car races. I never new any of the drivers. Dad would buy a huge bag of peanuts on the way. Loved those races.

Does anybody remember the drag races at the Fairgrounds? That was a big event.

Prunepicker
08-24-2008, 09:17 PM
[quote=SoonerGirl26;164029]

... Carl Ferguson after he won the main race.

Correction! I was aware of Carl Ferguson being one of the drivers.

andy157
08-24-2008, 09:32 PM
[QUOTE=SoonerGirl26;164029]

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Girl:...you can run with the old guys now. We will excuse your reasons for going to South East. When I was a little boy, I got my picture made with Carl Ferguson after he won the main race. When I was an older young man, I got to know Jude and Carol Northcutt (Carol Shipman). Carol was the trophy girl several times in my younger years and one we were at a party with Jude and Carol and some other people and I told her my dream was to kiss Carol Shipman after a Trphy race. POW:>>>> she kissed me right then.....My wife and everyone just about died laughing as I was not stupified, but, I finally got to kiss Carol Shipman.
Even though her husband and my wife were in the room.....Not a whole lot og guys my age can say that now. Carol passed away a few years leaving three kids.......Miss her............

Oh Yeah, a friend of mine has some of the OLD Taft Programs. I'll see if I can get some copies before the next Southside outing.

See ya next time...................I'm not quite your age, but I can say that I have also kissed her. I have a few questions for you.
1. What big contest did she win?
2. What was her prize for winning?
3. Where did she and Jude live (before Ranchwood)?
4. What was one of Judes hobbies?

fire121
08-25-2008, 03:04 PM
I saw one of the Godzilla movies at the Airline somewhere around 68-69?? A friends dad worked at the Otasco on the east end and my cousins lived over on Parkview Terrace. There was also a little store we would walk to on 36th??between Parkview and Goff.

Prunepicker
08-25-2008, 03:19 PM
And, we've got to get next month planned... Where does everyone want to go?
See Ya next time...

It has to be on the South side. That's a given.

Coney Island was good for my tightwad budget, although, pulling out nearly $4 for lunch may me feel like a big spender.

Is there a tamale stand with 50 cent tamales? Day old donuts? A grocery store with a good array of free samples?

Generals64
08-25-2008, 04:45 PM
[QUOTE=Generals64;164034]I'm not quite your age, but I can say that I have also kissed her. I have a few questions for you.
1. What big contest did she win?
2. What was her prize for winning?
3. Where did she and Jude live (before Ranchwood)?
4. What was one of Judes hobbies?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Carol won quite a few contests...Mrs. OKlahoma, Miss OKC, man I don't remember all of them. As a favor she helped me at the State Fair in 1965? as Mrs. Oklahoma......
2. Don't remember the prize............
3. Which time?............In 1969, my wife and I house sat for them , for two weeks and we kept their youngest son (Dino). Before they got got back Dino had started calling my wife Mama.......That was his first word and Carol and Jude were ecstatic
and my wife had him walking before they got back....
4. Jude had and still does have many hobbies. when we see each other at the next outing we'll talk.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Where was Swyden's restaurant????
2. The guys that own Almonte Center's dad was the man that invented the shopping cart (Sid Goldman) that's what that family was famous for.
3. Andy, name the automotive store that stayed open 24 hrs. a day/night in Capitol Hill. And, what was the name of the Auto store in Mayridge Shopping center....Also, what was the name of the FIRST grocery store in Mayridge.????

Generals64
08-25-2008, 04:50 PM
Hey Guys, How About Coit's On S. Western For The Next Outing Say Sept. 26th. Saturday Afternoon 12:30...yes Or No???? Coits Was There When All Of Us Lived On The Southside And, They Are Still There. They Have A Meeting Room And An Array Of Food Other Than Hot Dogs.......remember The "frosted Mug Root Beer"? Still There.

Let's Talk About It:......

See Ya Next Time:...andy Help Me Out On The Carol Answers.

Prunepicker
08-25-2008, 08:22 PM
1. Where was Swyden's restaurant?

It was on S. May on or about S.W. 40th. We ate there quite a bit. They had an item called Virginia Ham. It wasn't really Virginia ham. It was a ham steak with crushed pineapples.

It either became something else or it was the second restaurant in that place.

Prunepicker
08-25-2008, 08:23 PM
Hey Guys, How About Coit's On S. Western For The Next Outing Say Sept. 26th. Saturday Afternoon 12:30...yes Or No?

Sounds good to me. I'll start scrounging for pop bottles right now to avoid the rush.

andy157
08-26-2008, 02:09 AM
Hey Guys, How About Coit's On S. Western For The Next Outing Say Sept. 26th. Saturday Afternoon 12:30...yes Or No???? Coits Was There When All Of Us Lived On The Southside And, They Are Still There. They Have A Meeting Room And An Array Of Food Other Than Hot Dogs.......remember The "frosted Mug Root Beer"? Still There.

Let's Talk About It:......

See Ya Next Time:...andy Help Me Out On The Carol Answers.

1. Mrs. Oklahoma is what I remember as her best.
2. A big pink Caddilac. Maybe a 59 model give or take a year.
3. S.W. 62nd and Walker (525 S.W. 62nd Terr.)
4. Flying is the one I remember. He would fly the kids on the block around OKC to look at Christmas lights during the holidays.

Generals64
08-26-2008, 10:52 AM
1. Mrs. Oklahoma is what I remember as her best.
2. A big pink Caddilac. Maybe a 59 model give or take a year.
3. S.W. 62nd and Walker (525 S.W. 62nd Terr.)
4. Flying is the one I remember. He would fly the kids on the block around OKC to look at Christmas lights during the holidays.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yeah, he still flies but we'll talk more at Coit's. I think I had the date wrong for a Saturday it should be September 27th, 2008 at 12:30. She got the Cadillac, maybe 59 or 60, it was when Elvis was really big. i think it was a year's free use. However, she was Mrs. Oklahoma in the middle sixties. That is when she helped me at the State Fair booth that T.G.& Y. had in the made in Oklahoma building. T.G.&Y. had a promotions director (Hugh Weirsig) and she worked with him in store openings etc.
Do you remember when Jude and Jody worked for Duke Evans? As well as the Original Mathis Brothers? They would have a Saturday Night show out on Reno and sell furniture and put on quite a gig.........

See ya next time:...........................

Prunepicker
08-26-2008, 04:27 PM
I asked this a while back. Does anybody know the name of the dairy that was on 59th about 1959? It might have been around S. Walker but quite possibly farther east. There was a long gravel driveway and a white fence.

OK, all dairies have long gravel driveways and white fences...

grantgeneral78
08-26-2008, 04:46 PM
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yeah, he still flies but we'll talk more at Coit's. I think I had the date wrong for a Saturday it should be September 27th, 2008 at 12:30. She got the Cadillac, maybe 59 or 60, it was when Elvis was really big. i think it was a year's free use. However, she was Mrs. Oklahoma in the middle sixties. That is when she helped me at the State Fair booth that T.G.& Y. had in the made in Oklahoma building. T.G.&Y. had a promotions director (Hugh Weirsig) and she worked with him in store openings etc.
Do you remember when Jude and Jody worked for Duke Evans? As well as the Original Mathis Brothers? They would have a Saturday Night show out on Reno and sell furniture and put on quite a gig.........

See ya next time:...........................

Uh oh! almost forgot,big OU fans here, we might miss the one at coits next month. DANGIT!

Generals64
08-26-2008, 05:28 PM
Uh oh! almost forgot,big OU fans here, we might miss the one at coits next month. DANGIT!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HEY: The day is not etched in stone.....Nor is the time...someone else pick a time and spot won't bother me.

I don't remember the dairy:.......but, I do remember that around the East side of walker and 59th that was a farm plot even with the big creek going through it.

See ya next time:......................

Prunepicker
08-26-2008, 06:50 PM
I don't remember the dairy... but, I do remember that around the East side of walker and 59th that was a farm plot even with the big creek going through it.

I'm gigging out of town on the 19th & 20th. What does the 13th look like?

We used to get our milk at that dairy. It was small, maybe that was it. You entered from 59th.

grantgeneral78
08-26-2008, 07:17 PM
I'm gigging out of town on the 19th & 20th. What does the 13th look like?

We used to get our milk at that dairy. It was small, maybe that was it. You entered from 59th.

the 13th might work for folks I found this on the OU inder website.

Sept. 13 @ Washington 6:45 p.m. (ESPN)

grantgeneral78
08-27-2008, 05:22 PM
Does anyone remember the little store on s.w. 26th and kentucky it had wood floors and a meat market cabinet where he would wrap your meat in white paper?

Generals64
08-27-2008, 07:49 PM
Does anyone remember the little store on s.w. 26th and kentucky it had wood floors and a meat market cabinet where he would wrap your meat in white paper?

Isn't that store still there? It's a Mexican Mercado I think and yes, I do remember the store...When I was in Little League we played ball at Columbus and after we received our "thrashing" from the other team, he took us there for an RC Cola and candy bar....Oh, that was the life.
By the way, I went to Arthur elementary school and the School secretary let me walk through the school (she was with me). The very last time I was in that school was in June of 1958...(fifty years ago). Look like it did then, the cafeteria still had the same smell and Auditorium looked as though it had shrank in size. I showed her where my first class room was and she thought I might be mistaken (given my age) until I told her grade I was in and she had to agree that that was the 2nd grade area.....Life in the old days relived today......Hey, how about Cattlemen's for an evening gathering????

See ya next time:...................

grantgeneral78
08-27-2008, 08:28 PM
Isn't that store still there? It's a Mexican Mercado I think and yes, I do remember the store...When I was in Little League we played ball at Columbus and after we received our "thrashing" from the other team, he took us there for an RC Cola and candy bar....Oh, that was the life.
By the way, I went to Arthur elementary school and the School secretary let me walk through the school (she was with me). The very last time I was in that school was in June of 1958...(fifty years ago). Look like it did then, the cafeteria still had the same smell and Auditorium looked as though it had shrank in size. I showed her where my first class room was and she thought I might be mistaken (given my age) until I told her grade I was in and she had to agree that that was the 2nd grade area.....Life in the old days relived today......Hey, how about Cattlemen's for an evening gathering????

See ya next time:...................

I don`t really know if it still stands I need to run by there and see. The man who owned it and ran it was a man nmaed JOE PHILLIPS he would give us kids candy when we went in and got yes a RC COLA. He looked like mr. whipple I recall one really great guy.

Generals64
08-29-2008, 07:18 PM
Hey Guys:...........What happened? Did you forget the southside? Come on now, I need you to get re charged and back on track...I keep telling myself that as I am watching the Hurricane Gustavs projected land fall....That's what I do and New Orleans is a horrible place to have to leave beautiful Oklahoma for. The smell of a hurricane is indescribible (sp). But, I still remember the tornado of 1960...Southside tooka major hit..Anyone remember that? got any stories about it? How about diving for golf balls at Hillcrest country club? Remember Conway Twitty having a Convenience store on the southside? How about his restaurant???? where was it??? What was the name of the shoe store in Mayridge shopping center? It was right next door to the T.G.&Y. Store.
What does anyone remember about the Semi-Centennial? (saw my first up close buffalo there). Do you remember when Buck Owens came to The T.G.&Y. store on 74th? There were so many people there that even Ole' Buck panicked......

Come on, you have too many memories and too many people following this thread. I talked with the owner of Coit's today and he said they would really like to have the group come there for lunch......

See ya next time:........................

angel27
08-29-2008, 07:42 PM
Used to live Northside until Dad took us on a Sunday drive (anyone else do those?) to southside after the 1960 tornado. I remember the houses leveled and all the destruction. Why my dad would then want to move south, I don't know but move we did in 61. Maybe he felt okay since our house had a new in-ground storm celler in the back yard. and we were glad to have it more than a few times, although we got to where we weren't very scared and watched most storms roll by on the front porch..

General do you remember when I sold the gun to Conway Twitty (your memory is better - I think it was Conway) and you guys were ribbing me because I had him show his ID. Well it was how ya taught me. How about when we used to have the TGY specials and it was some kind of a midnight sale and we all wore our pajamas to work. I'll never forget the lady when I rounded the corner and she said "omg she's wearing her nightgown." Then there was the time I gained 10lb because I got hooked on TGY's hot fudge sundays. Had to have one everyday after school. Even Braums doesn't make them as good as those were... but had to stop that little luxury.

Prunepicker
08-29-2008, 08:31 PM
Hey Guys, what happened? Did you forget the southside?

1. But, I still remember the tornado of 1960... Southside took a major hit...Anyone remember that? Got any stories about it?

2. How about diving for golf balls at Hillcrest country club?

3. Remember Conway Twitty having a Convenience store on the southside? How about his restaurant?
Where was it?

4. What was the name of the shoe store in Mayridge shopping center? It was right next door to the T.G.&Y. Store. See ya next time...

I've been hanging out on the Political Forum.

1. We were talking about the tornado last week. Where were you?

2. We didn't dive for golf balls but a friend and I would get a burlap sack from Buster, the pro, and pick them up on the driving range. After we picked them up we'd put them in trays that held a dozen. Buster paid us 8 cents a tray. Then we'd head for the 7-11 on Villa. We also fished in the ponds.

3. I might remember the store but not that he owned it. Where was it?

4. Was it Red Wing? I thought the barber shop was next door to TG&Y.

grantgeneral78
08-29-2008, 08:52 PM
does anyone remember the little movie theater inside of rudys redbud on 59th for kids?

Prunepicker
08-29-2008, 09:10 PM
does anyone remember the little movie theater
inside of rudys redbud on 59th for kids?

Oh my! I forgot about that. I watched many a cartoon in that little place. A friend
and I got caught by the manager eating ice cream bars we didn't pay for.

When did they get rid of it? Was it there until the end?

grantgeneral78
08-30-2008, 02:52 AM
Oh my! I forgot about that. I watched many a cartoon in that little place. A friend
and I got caught by the manager eating ice cream bars we didn't pay for.

When did they get rid of it? Was it there until the end?

W-hen you walked in the front door it was to the left against the front wall, just past the office set up where folks cashed there checks.

Yea i watched a many cartoons in there, old black and what bugs bunny ,elmer fudd...it was a blast with little benches in it......then after the movies go outside and tame that 5 cent wild bronc out front of the store!

Prunepicker
08-30-2008, 09:19 AM
Last week or so I said that I-240 was called 74th Expressway. I just visited the 'Childhood Memories' forum and they used 74th and (cross street).

I guess that prior to I-240 we called it 74th (I say expressway).

Generals64
08-30-2008, 12:08 PM
Used to live Northside until Dad took us on a Sunday drive (anyone else do those?) to southside after the 1960 tornado. I remember the houses leveled and all the destruction. Why my dad would then want to move south, I don't know but move we did in 61. Maybe he felt okay since our house had a new in-ground storm celler in the back yard. and we were glad to have it more than a few times, although we got to where we weren't very scared and watched most storms roll by on the front porch..

General do you remember when I sold the gun to Conway Twitty (your memory is better - I think it was Conway) and you guys were ribbing me because I had him show his ID. Well it was how ya taught me. How about when we used to have the TGY specials and it was some kind of a midnight sale and we all wore our pajamas to work. I'll never forget the lady when I rounded the corner and she said "omg she's wearing her nightgown." Then there was the time I gained 10lb because I got hooked on TGY's hot fudge sundays. Had to have one everyday after school. Even Braums doesn't make them as good as those were... but had to stop that little luxury.
Yep, you're right, I had ordered a 300 Magnum Weatherby for him special. When the gun came in I called him and when he showed , someone got real "giddy" (won't mention who) but she filled out the paper work and began to get ribbed a lot.....those were some pretty good times. Oh yeah, do you remember Houshi?...I talked to his ex-wife the other day and he died of stomach cancer...a few years back.......