View Full Version : Southside OKC Memories....anyone?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 [57] 58

Prunepicker
03-21-2011, 08:29 PM
I just heard that Bill Hood from the "Maya" band died this afternoon.

~~~
I didn't know him. Was he a pianist?

Taxed But Not Represented
03-21-2011, 09:33 PM
I just heard that Bill Hood from the "Maya" band died this afternoon.

~~~

I don't remember that name. I remember the band but couldn't even tell you who was in it let alone what they played. I saw on the news the other night that Speedy West, Jr. is ill. He is the only one from Maya that I remember by name. They said that he has lung cancer and no insurance and there have been some benefit shows for him. Also Speedy West, Jr. and friends have recorded a song written years ago by one of his former bandmates that he said he wrote for & about Speedy.

SoonerGirl26
03-21-2011, 11:12 PM
I don't remember that name. I remember the band but couldn't even tell you who was in it let alone what they played. I saw on the news the other night that Speedy West, Jr. is ill. He is the only one from Maya that I remember by name. They said that he has lung cancer and no insurance and there have been some benefit shows for him. Also Speedy West, Jr. and friends have recorded a song written years ago by one of his former bandmates that he said he wrote for & about Speedy.

Here are some of the people who have been in the Maya band besides Bill Hood.....Wes Holland, Cheryl Bonner, Kent Blessing, Speedy West Jr., Woody Lingle, Jim Ratchel, Steve Crossley, Rick Bange, Rich Dimonico, Robin Brooks.

~~~

Prunepicker
03-21-2011, 11:27 PM
Here are some of the people who have been in the Maya band besides
Bill Hood... Wes Holland, Cheryl Bonner, Kent Blessing, Speedy West
Jr., Woody Lingle, Jim Ratchel, Steve Crossley, Rick Bange, Rich
Dimonico, Robin Brooks.
~~~
I know Woody. He's in Nashville. I gigged with Rich Dimonico some
time back. We went to college together. Rick Bange is in Georgia.

Tritone
03-23-2011, 05:11 PM
That Bill Hood, huh? I met him a time or two and knew his dad. They were both nice guys.

BlackmoreRulz
03-27-2011, 06:05 PM
Hi ya'll, just found this thread/site today looking for the Zuider Zee hush puppy recipe....what a fantastic trip down memory lane. I have only read the first eight pages of this thread but I hadn't seen it mentioned. Back in the early 60's somewhere around 59th and Penn area there was a burger joint that was in direct competition with McDonalds called the Burger Chef with 19 cent hamburgers, does anyone remember its exact location?

Also saw no mention of Jack's Steakhouse at 59th & Penn(NW corner) where kids got their choice of the candy selection after their meal?

P.S. I am an alumnus of PQ, JJH & JMS both(hint on my age), and USG

SoonerGirl26
03-28-2011, 10:53 AM
Hi ya'll, just found this thread/site today looking for the Zuider Zee hush puppy recipe....what a fantastic trip down memory lane. I have only read the first eight pages of this thread but I hadn't seen it mentioned. Back in the early 60's somewhere around 59th and Penn area there was a burger joint that was in direct competition with McDonalds called the Burger Chef with 19 cent hamburgers, does anyone remember its exact location?

Also saw no mention of Jack's Steakhouse at 59th & Penn(NW corner) where kids got their choice of the candy selection after their meal?

According to the attached ad the exact address for the southside Burger Chef was 700 SW 59.

http://archive.newsok.com/Repository/ml.asp?Ref=RE9LLzE5NjcvMDQvMDgjQWQwMTExNg%3D%3D&Mode=G&Locale=english-skin

~~~

USG'60
03-28-2011, 11:45 AM

Jack's IS discussed on this thread somewhere regarding his salad dressing and the Cornelius family to some extent. The thread IS A TRIP, for sure. Welcome aboard.

Prunepicker
03-28-2011, 11:47 AM
Back in the early 60's somewhere around 59th and Penn area there
was a burger joint that was in direct competition with McDonalds
called the Burger Chef with 19 cent hamburgers, does anyone
remember its exact location?

Also saw no mention of Jack's Steakhouse at 59th & Penn(NW corner)
where kids got their choice of the candy selection after their meal?

P.S. I am an alumnus of PQ, JJH & JMS both (hint on my age), and
USG
There was a Burger Chef on S.W. 44th and S. Penn. I lived on the
southside in the 60's but don't remember a Burger Chef on S.W.
59th, not that it wasn't there.

Jack's Steakhouse has been mentioned quite often on these threads.
There are a few others that have to do with restaurants. Gen64
has put his salad dressing recipe on the board. It's something
like eye of newt, toe of frog, wool of bat, tongue of dog...

grantgeneral78
04-04-2011, 05:48 AM
Severins auto supply that was on 29th and agnew, who was the owner. Also there was a great red haired lady that delivered parts from there to my father in law at his shop what ever happened to her?

CarltonsKeeper
04-04-2011, 07:33 AM
Severins auto supply that was on 29th and agnew, who was the owner. Also there was a great red haired lady that delivered parts from there to my father in law at his shop what ever happened to her?

Art Black was the last owner, still alive and living on s.w. 30 something!!!

Generals64
04-04-2011, 07:03 PM
Hello my friend...I finally have everything electrical back in working order.

Prunepicker
04-04-2011, 07:40 PM
Hello my friend... I finally have everything electrical back in working order.
I thought you fell off the face of the earth with Soonergirl26.

Prunepicker
04-04-2011, 07:55 PM
I forgot, howdy Gen78. Did you see Gen64 when you fell off the face of the earth?

Prunepicker
04-04-2011, 07:55 PM
Hello my friend... I finally have everything electrical back in working order.
The A is in working order, too. Come by and take a look.

SoonerGirl26
05-18-2011, 01:15 PM
I won't be at the Coit's meeting Saturday..... have fun... and behave all you Generals and Redskins!!! Hahahaha!!!

~~~

Prunepicker
05-18-2011, 04:51 PM
I'm gong to be out of town.

Achilleslastand
05-18-2011, 08:56 PM
Anyone recall Hotzi hot dogs that used to be on south may around sw27 or 28th?

Prunepicker
05-18-2011, 10:04 PM
Anyone recall Hotzi hot dogs that used to be on south may around
sw27 or 28th?
It was Hotsy Hotdogs. I knew the people that owned it. Judy was the
wife but I can't remember the husbands name.

grantgeneral78
05-24-2011, 09:01 AM
I forgot, howdy Gen78. Did you see Gen64 when you fell off the face of the earth?
Yeah we were walking down the same trail.

FRISKY
05-24-2011, 09:36 AM
Yeah we were walking down the same trail.Were you also attacked by a dead moose?

grantgeneral78
06-01-2011, 01:24 PM
Ok who told on me?:missing:

Were you also attacked by a dead moose?

beatlesteve
07-31-2011, 02:35 PM
Im new to site I graduated from Grant IN 79..My 1st job was at 14 flags drive inn,does anybody have pic of drive inn..places I worked Griders, Catfish cabin and Alberstson ...Anyone go to southside skate. I was there every Sat morning and big slide accroos the street..

strosper
08-03-2011, 05:39 PM
Marie's Steakburger Hut...My Aunt Marie McGehee owned and operated this hamburger stand and I worked for her there in 1972 to 1974. It was located on the east side of Western on SW 58th street.

Prunepicker
08-05-2011, 10:55 AM
Marie's Steakburger Hut...My Aunt Marie McGehee owned and
operated this hamburger stand and I worked for her there in 1972 to
1974. It was located on the east side of Western on SW 58th street.
Was it also called the Burger Hut? I remember a drive-in and a friend
at the time, Mike(?) Mc if I remember correctly, worked there about
that time. They'd come out to your car to take the order.

CarltonsKeeper
08-06-2011, 01:33 PM
Marie's Steakburger Hut...My Aunt Marie McGehee owned and operated this hamburger stand and I worked for her there in 1972 to 1974. It was located on the east side of Western on SW 58th street.
Didn't your Aunt own the Western Dip before the Hut??????

USG'60
08-06-2011, 02:57 PM

You must be kin to Mike McGehee, class of '62 or thereabouts, eh?

CarltonsKeeper
08-17-2011, 09:03 AM

Mr. Strosper, where did you go!!! I had a bunch of questions for ya'! Have you disappeared?

B_Positive
10-30-2011, 04:57 PM
You know you grew up on the South side if:
a) you ever ate at Losy tacos (LMAO)
b) you swam at Elmwood's triple dive board pool
c) you cruised 59th street and threw eggs at other cars from either SE or Grant
d) you sat in the smoked filled theater called Park Terrace
e) you ate at Kip's Big Boy on 59th, and Western and loved those 1000 island burgers
f) you road your bike to TG&Y on 74th and penn and got to go over the bridge on top of the highway on your bike.
g) you shopped at Woolworth on 74th and Shields
h) your parents shopped at Buchanan's and also had a check cashing card there
i) Crystal's pizza was the "happening" place after football games etc
j) the only McDonald's was at 59th and penn
k) more than once you almost drove off with the speaker from the drive-ins on S western, down in moore, or out by the airport.
l) Baskin Robbins was the only ice-cream in town, and mine was at 59th and Western with 31 flavors.
j) you ate at Burger King on 57th and Western (home of the whopper)
k) you walked to school, even if it was 2 miles away and a blizzard outside (south side kids were tough and mom had things to do)
l) you picked up KOMA on your phone line and had a pencil by your phone so you could "speed dial" them on contests.
m) you hung out at the wreck center and learned to dance with the opposite sex, play pool, and having kissing contests.

B_Positive
10-30-2011, 05:49 PM
That restaurant at 59th and Agnew was called Underwoods. We went there for dinner one time and my mom forgot her purse. When we called they said they found it. My dad said he would never eat there again because someone stole the money out of mom's purse and my dad labeled them all thief's. ..lol

firstfret
11-10-2011, 05:26 PM
Are you the person that has the old race programs? Do you remember a driver named Bob Smith?

grantgeneral78
11-14-2011, 03:29 AM
That restaurant at 59th and Agnew was called Underwoods. We went there for dinner one time and my mom forgot her purse. When we called they said they found it. My dad said he would never eat there again because someone stole the money out of mom's purse and my dad labeled them all thief's. ..lol

Are you sure you dont mean "ACROSS THE STREET RESTAURANT?"

BlackmoreRulz
11-14-2011, 05:54 AM
Underwoods was on 59th just east of Penn.

RadicalModerate
11-14-2011, 07:18 AM

Ironically, I once knew a guy who knew a guy who was in a federal prison with the founder of Underwood's . . .

Maynard
11-14-2011, 07:23 AM
Ironically, I once knew a guy who knew a guy who was in a federal prison with the founder of Underwood's . . .

Isn't it ironic, dont'cha think?

RadicalModerate
11-14-2011, 07:40 AM
I dunno . . . On second thought, it may be more coincidental than ironic.
In any case, the friend of the guy I knew said that the Underwood's dude was a very interesting person who taught him several savvy things about business. Apparenly he left off the parts about how not to get caught or make exceptional barbeque.

strosper
11-21-2011, 08:17 PM
As far as I know, it was never called "Burger Hut"

strosper
11-21-2011, 08:18 PM
This is strosper...you can ask away about "Marie's Steakburger Hut"

strosper
11-21-2011, 08:20 PM
Not kin to Mike McGehee...My dad was Kenneth Mcgehee but he graduated from Capital Hill in the 50's

Dollie
02-05-2012, 11:09 AM
Did he not do time for insurance fraud at least 40 years ago? I was told that is how & why the N.E. 23rd business burned. I remember it and the south robinson locations the most. First time having pizza was on Robinson.

I also ate my first Pizza at the Sussy restaurant on south robinson location. Do you remember Rick's Italian restaurant on south walker? They sure had good pizza & spaghetti. I grew up in the 50s. Those were such fun years. Crain's drive in next to Southeast high school, Wimpy's drive in across the street from Crain's Drive inn, then they chained the name to Spartan's.

Dollie
02-05-2012, 08:02 PM
It was called Elmwood Swimming Pool I also went to Southeast Highschool and worked at the drivein next door. I went to Elmwood a lot back then.

I have lots of good memories of Elmwood swimming pool. It was a fun place to swim & meet with friends. I have one of the last pictures of it when the the bull dozier were plowing it up.

SOUTHSIDE GIRL
03-02-2012, 09:10 AM
For those of you that followed this thread and the Coits Meeting Thread.
Sadly,
PapaOu (John Hendrickson) passed away on March 1, 2012 he had some great memories of the Southside OKC and we wil all miss him

corpsman
03-02-2012, 11:08 AM
I only knew him through his posts, but rest assured this Cowoys fan is saddened by his passing. Grant to him eternal rest, O Lord; and may your perpetual light shine upon him. May his and the souls of all the faithfully departed rest in peace.
Sadly,
PapaOu (John Hendrickson) passed away on March 1, 2012 he had some great memories of the Southside OKC and we wil all miss him

SoonerGirl26
03-08-2012, 04:42 PM
Sorry to hear about PapaOU. He shared a lot of his southside memories with many of us at the Coit's meetings. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family and his CHHS alumni friends. RIP John.

SoonerGirl26
03-08-2012, 04:44 PM
Sadly,

Thanks Southside Girl, I only heard about this today through BowTieGuy. So sad.

~~

grantgeneral78
03-12-2012, 01:12 AM
Yes it is sad he was a great guy he will surely be missed.

FLOORMSTR
09-04-2012, 02:29 AM
What happened to carpet world i have many plaques being installer of year for carpet world

SoonerGirl26
09-04-2012, 09:33 AM
What happened to carpet world i have many plaques being installer of year for carpet world

According to manta.com...... Carpet World, Inc. is doing business as Budget Floor Store, 3636 W. Reno. Harold D. Akin (former player in NFL with San Diego Chargers) is the President of Carpet World, Inc. His sons Zac and Scott now run the business. They have 4 stores.... the one on Reno, and 3 "Floor World" stores in Edmond, MWC and Moore.

Redskins/General
09-04-2012, 04:43 PM
According to manta.com...... Carpet World, Inc. is doing business as Budget Floor Store, 3636 W. Reno. Harold D. Akin (former player in NFL with San Diego Chargers) is the President of Carpet World, Inc. His sons Zac and Scott now run the business. They have 4 stores.... the one on Reno, and 3 "Floor World" stores in Edmond, MWC and Moore.

Soonergirl - I thought maybe you had died and gone to heaven!! LOL!!!

SoonerGirl26
09-04-2012, 08:37 PM
Soonergirl - I thought maybe you had died and gone to heaven!! LOL!!!

Come on now.... you know I'm still alive and kicking!!! :)

grantgeneral78
09-10-2012, 02:09 AM
I thought Fred Akin got into some financial trouble and sold the business?

scotthines
01-22-2013, 05:59 AM
i no longer live in okc but loved it so much as a teen from 84 to 86 livin on sw 55th st and goin to the old grant high school.

scotthines
01-24-2013, 05:19 AM
is there anyone here that went to u. s. grant between 84 and 86 that has a yearbook? i am lookin to see if someone will send me some pics from it? please

grantgeneral78
01-28-2013, 05:31 AM
i can check with my sister she graduated around that time

Jazzlover
07-16-2016, 09:40 PM
Hi Prunepicker, are you talking about Jack Sussy or Jake Samara ?

I worked for Jake on Robinson. I was 14 and made 40 cents an hour. I worked for Sussy, too. They had places all over the city and I was with them off and on for ten years. Sussy's, Tally-Ho, SPQR and for Jack Ritter (same pizza recipe) at Bit-of-Italy off NW 39th. That was good food!

Moore 1979
07-21-2016, 04:06 PM
It seems to veer to melancholy, to respond to this but that is the nature of this thread. The Sussy places you keep mentioning are, fascinating, because they were places, living in Moore, that you would be spending a ton of money just to go there. I worked at the T.G. &Y. In Moore. That job financed my way to an incredible period, while in high school, between 1976-78. We always wanted to go to Molly Murphy's for big dates or during big h. s. events. What a great time to be alive and in the world.

whorton
10-31-2017, 03:43 PM
For the record, here is a 1975 Aerial showing the exact location of Sirloin Stockade in the parking lot.

MonkeyBiz6903
10-31-2017, 04:44 PM
For the record, here is a 1975 Aerial showing the exact location of Sirloin Stockade in the parking lot.

Wouldn't that be a parking lot now? Between Stabuck's and the Crabshack.

Martin
10-31-2017, 05:01 PM
i'd say it's about where longnecker's was... : )

whorton
10-31-2017, 08:49 PM
Monkey Biz,

Yes, it lines up between Starbucks and the old Joes Crab Shack. . Notice the old Sirloin Stockade location lines up due north of the last house on 77th circle, north side that has a East west orientation.

Begging pardon, I posted the original photo reversed and upside down, This puts it into better perspective.