View Full Version : Southside OKC Memories....anyone?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 [54] 55 56 57 58

papaOU
10-25-2010, 04:59 PM
I almost bought a small amount of manteca today at WallyWorld...just to have for those things that really require pork fat. Most chefs call it the most essential thing in a kitchen--Julia Child did. They way it deals with the starch in flour makes all the difference in the world--especially biscuits and pie crust. Vegetable shortening is a poor substitute for many things...

what is manteca? unable to find in dictionary or on the web.

corpsman
10-25-2010, 05:07 PM

Baja Taxas for lard

jmarkross
10-25-2010, 05:07 PM

Spanish for Lard...familiar to me living in L.A. for 25 years...look at cans/boxes of it today...one side usually says that

corpsman
10-25-2010, 05:11 PM

And who but some gringo in California would name a town Manteca?

jmarkross
10-25-2010, 05:17 PM
And who but some gringo in California would name a town Manteca?

It is one of the reasons I describe Los Angeles (and California in general) as the World's Largest Continuous State Fair...

corpsman
10-25-2010, 06:01 PM
It is one of the reasons I describe Los Angeles (and California in general) as the World's Largest Continuous State Fair...

Or in the "carny" sense of the word a bunch of geeks :dizzy:

jmarkross
10-26-2010, 12:46 AM
Or in the "carny" sense of the word a bunch of geeks :dizzy:

So few know what a "geek" really is...but--nowadays they all go to El Pollo Loco for chicken rather than the more abbreviated way they dined on fowl in the older days...

corpsman
10-26-2010, 07:44 AM
So few know what a "geek" really is...but--nowadays they all go to El Pollo Loco for chicken rather than the more abbreviated way they dined on fowl in the older days...

Least ways they cook it at El Pollo Loco

Generals64
10-26-2010, 08:23 AM
Least ways they cook it at El Pollo Loco

Hey, I had a few great meals at El Pollo Loco (some "crazy" chicken") in Laredo, Texas......that and Dos Equis and I'm set for the evening.....Laredo, that's a completely different place now.....that is really southside OKC....

jmarkross
10-26-2010, 09:03 AM
El Pollo Loco does make a good piece of burnt chicken...and usually they have a decent jalapeno to go with it. The beans suck...

Generals64
10-26-2010, 03:20 PM
El Pollo Loco does make a good piece of burnt chicken...and usually they have a decent jalapeno to go with it. The beans suck...

they had a Jalapeno pie in Laredo....pretty good....well, it was unusual.....

Prunepicker
10-26-2010, 07:17 PM
In Santa Fe there's a few really good restaurants. The Pantry
is awesome but it's closed by 3pm. Another is La Choza. WOW!
I like the New Mexico Mex. Chile Rellanos! Excellente bel grande!

jmarkross
10-28-2010, 09:37 AM
Does anyone have any memories and info on the Walnut Grove area of South OKC back in the 1950-60's?

Generals64
10-28-2010, 11:14 AM
Does anyone have any memories and info on the Walnut Grove area of South OKC back in the 1950-60's?

tell me where it was located.....approximate location.....If Carltonskeeper is on line he'll know.....that guy has a memory like a steel trap...

jmarkross
10-28-2010, 02:45 PM
tell me where it was located.....approximate location.....If Carltonskeeper is on line he'll know.....that guy has a memory like a steel trap...

It was a very impoverished area...without electricty, down on the river near the Walker bridge...almost a shanty town at some point...I was told by some Capitol Hill associates that people had lived there whole life there and never been to downtown OKC which they could see right across the river...

Generals64
10-28-2010, 02:55 PM
It was a very impoverished area...without electricty, down on the river near the Walker bridge...almost a shanty town at some point...I was told by some Capitol Hill associates that people had lived there whole life there and never been to downtown OKC which they could see right across the river...

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ______________________________
O.K., know where and what you're talking about now. We have had many discussions on this thread about Sand Town off of May Avenue. These areas were talked about under the titles of "Hoover Ville"....Some ways back and/or on the capitol Hill Threads there are some actual pictures of this. I don't remember the name of Walnut Grove but I do remember the area on Walker. My In-Laws own a business in that area and for a long time (1967-1970) there were still people living down there in Cardboard Boxed Shanties.....I'm Sure Carltonskeeper will eventually read this and shine some light on it to great depths.....

CarltonsKeeper
10-28-2010, 05:15 PM
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ______________________________
O.K., know where and what you're talking about now. We have had many discussions on this thread about Sand Town off of May Avenue. These areas were talked about under the titles of "Hoover Ville"....Some ways back and/or on the capitol Hill Threads there are some actual pictures of this. I don't remember the name of Walnut Grove but I do remember the area on Walker. My In-Laws own a business in that area and for a long time (1967-1970) there were still people living down there in Cardboard Boxed Shanties.....I'm Sure Carltonskeeper will eventually read this and shine some light on it to great depths.....

To me Gen/64 that would be right across the Walker Bridge going North to S.W. 13th which would have been a location where a gentlemen by the name of Jesse RULED??????
I have toured this area in my youth and I'm sure this would be the place, ya think!!!!

Generals64
10-28-2010, 05:18 PM
To me Gen/64 that would be right across the Walker Bridge going North to S.W. 13th which would have been a location where a gentlemen by the name of Jesse RULED??????
I have toured this area in my youth and I'm sure this would be the place, ya think!!!!
================================================== ==============
That's kinda what I was thinking. Most of the housing there was just tar paper shacks (shotgun houses). they would blow down and then the entire neighborhood would help rebuild....as time came and went they (the tenants) would find scraps of wood etc. and the houses would be slowly rebuilt. Now, around little Flower, there were houses built that are still there....

corpsman
10-28-2010, 07:23 PM
================================================== ==============
That's kinda what I was thinking. Most of the housing there was just tar paper shacks (shotgun houses). they would blow down and then the entire neighborhood would help rebuild....as time came and went they (the tenants) would find scraps of wood etc. and the houses would be slowly rebuilt. Now, around little Flower, there were houses built that are still there....

Still some standing and a few in decent shape just a little north of there around SW 5th and 6th Walker, Dewey , Lee area. New highway got a lot of them, though.

Prunepicker
10-28-2010, 09:01 PM
tell me where it was located... approximate location... If
Carltonskeeper is on line he'll know... that guy has a memory like
a steel trap...
So do I. Unfortunately, the it's rusted shut.

FRISKY
10-29-2010, 05:26 AM
I'm pretty sure Walnut Grove was an area further east, in the SE quadrant of OKC around Byers/Stiles. Wasn't there a housing project/apartment complex by that same name around that area? If I remember correctly it was very much like Kerr Village with crime running rampant during the 1960s and 1970s.

FRISKY
10-29-2010, 06:22 AM
Hamilton Courts was also a housing project in that area in the late 1960s.

jmarkross
10-29-2010, 06:23 AM
Thanks for all the input...I was made aware of this place once by a friend who was from Capitol Hill and he drove me around that place...BTW--does anyone remember a place--a house of ill-repute called "Jessie's" that was operating on OKC? It was slightly before my time (before electricity) so I don't know much other than the legend about it...I was from Norman so I have only rumor to go by...

CarltonsKeeper
10-29-2010, 07:37 AM
Hamilton Courts was also a housing project in that area in the late 1960s.

I think Hamilton Courts was on Grand Blvd just a couple of blocks South of S.E. 15th!! They cleaned it up, made it a gaurded gated community now called Copper something unless they have changed the name??????

corpsman
10-29-2010, 06:29 PM
I think Hamilton Courts was on Grand Blvd just a couple of blocks South of S.E. 15th!! They cleaned it up, made it a gaurded gated community now called Copper something unless they have changed the name??????

Then what were the PJs at SE 15th & High called?

CarltonsKeeper
10-29-2010, 06:48 PM
Then what were the PJs at SE 15th & High called?

I know where your referring to and they weren't Hamilton Courts and are still slums don't cha' think???????

papaOU
10-29-2010, 07:45 PM
I'm pretty sure Walnut Grove was an area further east, in the SE quadrant of OKC around Byers/Stiles. Wasn't there a housing project/apartment complex by that same name around that area? If I remember correctly it was very much like Kerr Village with crime running rampant during the 1960s and 1970s.

Are you thinking about the housing addition on S.E. 15 near High? A guy who owned a business across the street (15th) vandalizing his place, caught some kids breaking windows with rocks. He pulled out a gun and killed one of them.
There are a couple of housing projects that the police will not even patrol.

papaOU
10-29-2010, 07:46 PM

This is one that the cops refused to patrol.

CarltonsKeeper
10-29-2010, 08:04 PM
This is one that the cops refused to patrol.

That's what I remember Mr.PaPaOU!!!!

Prunepicker
10-29-2010, 09:28 PM
There was a Walnut Grove elementary at 500 S. Durland.
It closed in the mid 60's.

papaOU
10-29-2010, 11:01 PM
Does anyone remember a "mom & pop" grocery store in the 500 block, Walker to Lee? It was on 31, 32, or 33. I can't place it. Have driven the area several times but was unable to spot it. There is one place where the front of the property is cleared but has apartment type building in the back.
When we were in the 6th grade at Lee, if we brought a note from our parents we could go off campus for lunch. Had a good healthy lunch. Can of shoestring potatoes, coconut donuts, and a Chocolate Soldier.

sometimes we would go to Kress, Katz, or the Capitol Hill Ice Cream Shop.

A much safer world back then.

jmarkross
10-30-2010, 07:23 AM
Does anyone remember a "mom & pop" grocery store in the 500 block, Walker to Lee? It was on 31, 32, or 33. I can't place it. Have driven the area several times but was unable to spot it. There is one place where the front of the property is cleared but has apartment type building in the back.
When we were in the 6th grade at Lee, if we brought a note from our parents we could go off campus for lunch. Had a good healthy lunch. Can of shoestring potatoes, coconut donuts, and a Chocolate Soldier.

sometimes we would go to Kress, Katz, or the Capitol Hill Ice Cream Shop.

A much safer world back then.

In Norman...in the 1950's...a can of Shoestring Potatoes was a first-class lunch...or the novel introduction of Kitty Clover BBQ potato chips (I used to look at them all to find the ones with the reddest chips inside)...we went to Mack's Grocery on Porter Avenue...back in the good old days of neighborhood grocery stores...long ago, before 7-11's ruled the Earth...I even WON a bag of those chips (the LARGE size) by calling into KOMA on some contest--not exactly the LOTTO--but the only thing I ever won...

corpsman
10-30-2010, 10:26 AM
I know where your referring to and they weren't Hamilton Courts and are still slums don't cha' think???????

Yep, and so are the ones at SE 15 and Phillips.

Dood
11-07-2010, 10:08 AM
Ahh..Park Terrace. As a child that place seemed fancy. I saw Jungle Book there for the first time, and also, Vanishing point. I LOVED the El Rancho Sanchez restaurant you speak of. They had some Mexican potatoes and some Fidello (spaghetti, Mexican style).....that was just delicious. It seems to me the restaurant was owned by a family....probably the Sanchez family, but I remember daughters that worked there were regal beauties. They were all older than me, but I know a pretty lady when I saw her.

A little east in that same little strip mall was.....pardon the pun....a strip joint named 'Lil Abners'. One night me and some of my high school buds and I were going to the movie and we noticed a commotion down by the beer joint, in the shared parking lot with the theater....we strolled down and there was a fella laying there on the ground, stabbed through the artery of his leg. we all decided it was time to make ourselves absent. We found out later that poor fellow didnt make it.

Across the street from El Rancho Sanchez was a Winchells doughnut shop, and north of that was a Burger King.....they used to have crinkle cut fries! It seems back behind that Burger King was Shakeys Pizza. We could watch through glass as the pizza was prepared....and old banjo music....from like the early 1900's would be played on stage. Thats the first place I remember seeing black olives on a pizza. Pretty good though.

Dood
11-08-2010, 08:16 PM
Does anyone else remember the giant slide that was across the street from Skate-a-rama on South Western Ave? I think there is a Pizza Hut and a carwash there now.

papaOU
11-08-2010, 10:37 PM
Remember the big tent meetings and revivals S.E. 15th & Central? Trucking companies moved in, but I can't remember when the services were no longer held there.

CarltonsKeeper
11-09-2010, 06:42 AM
Remember the big tent meetings and revivals S.E. 15th & Central? Trucking companies moved in, but I can't remember when the services were no longer held there.

Wasn't that the N.W. corner where J&M finally wound up??? I think it would have to of been in the sixties!!

papaOU
11-09-2010, 09:07 AM
Wasn't that the N.W. corner where J&M finally wound up??? I think it would have to of been in the sixties!!

That's correct. When did J&M go in there?

Prunepicker
11-09-2010, 09:20 AM
There were tent revivals where the Coca Cola bottling company
is.

osu cowboy
11-09-2010, 03:12 PM
Ahh..Park Terrace. As a child that place seemed fancy. I saw Jungle Book there for the first time, and also, Vanishing point. I LOVED the El Rancho Sanchez restaurant you speak of. They had some Mexican potatoes and some Fidello (spaghetti, Mexican style).....that was just delicious. It seems to me the restaurant was owned by a family....probably the Sanchez family, but I remember daughters that worked there were regal beauties. They were all older than me, but I know a pretty lady when I saw her.

A little east in that same little strip mall was.....pardon the pun....a strip joint named 'Lil Abners'. One night me and some of my high school buds and I were going to the movie and we noticed a commotion down by the beer joint, in the shared parking lot with the theater....we strolled down and there was a fella laying there on the ground, stabbed through the artery of his leg. we all decided it was time to make ourselves absent. We found out later that poor fellow didnt make it.

Across the street from El Rancho Sanchez was a Winchells doughnut shop, and north of that was a Burger King.....they used to have crinkle cut fries! It seems back behind that Burger King was Shakeys Pizza. We could watch through glass as the pizza was prepared....and old banjo music....from like the early 1900's would be played on stage. Thats the first place I remember seeing black olives on a pizza. Pretty good though.

I saw Vanishing Point too there. Great movie. People that ran El Rancho Sanchez I think have a place in the Mid-Del area. I'll see if I can find out where. I've never been there.
The old one was great though.

jmarkross
11-09-2010, 03:17 PM
There were tent revivals where the Coca Cola bottling company
is.

Ever buy an Oral Roberts healing cloth?

CarltonsKeeper
11-10-2010, 07:08 AM
That's correct. When did J&M go in there?

It was originally McLean Truck line, at least I think they were the first and maybe built it. J&M moved there in about 1985 0r 86!!

Generals64
11-19-2010, 01:20 PM
Hey, what was so different about Pizza planet's pizza as compared to Sussy's???? I know the group I hung around with always went to Sussy's on so. Robinson....But, the other kids would have rather gone to Pizza Planet......Hmmmmm any answers??? Oh yeah, today is Prunepicker's Birthday....I think he's 23 years old....that's the way he puts it....

papaOU
11-19-2010, 04:46 PM
Hey, what was so different about Pizza planet's pizza as compared to Sussy's???? I know the group I hung around with always went to Sussy's on so. Robinson....But, the other kids would have rather gone to Pizza Planet......Hmmmmm any answers??? Oh yeah, today is Prunepicker's Birthday....I think he's 23 years old....that's the way he puts it....

Sussy's was an "adult" restaurant, while Pizza Planet was for the "hip" crowd.

Prunepicker
11-19-2010, 06:33 PM
Hey, what was so different about Pizza planet's pizza as compared
to Sussy's? I know the group I hung around with always went to
Sussy's on so. Robinson... But, the other kids would have rather
gone to Pizza Planet... Hmm any answers? Oh yeah, today is
Prunepicker's Birthday... I think he's 23 years old... that's the
way he puts it...
I never ate at Sussy's. But I did eat at Pizza Planet and thought
it was very good.

23 is correct! :Smiley181 I'm using a a revamped version of the
Martian calendar.

papaOU
11-19-2010, 06:41 PM
I never ate at Sussy's. But I did eat at Pizza Planet and thought
it was very good.

23 is correct! :Smiley181 I'm using a a revamped version of the
Martian calendar.

Only went to Sussy's with my folks. Dad always got a I/2 sausage and 1/2 hamburger pizza for us all to share.

In jr. High it seemed like everyone went to Shakey's. I don't remember if the pies were good or not.:dizzy:

SoonerGirl26
11-19-2010, 09:20 PM

I went to Sussy's on S. Robinson after football games from the 8th grade until it closed....which must have been before I graduated because during my senior year we went to "Across The Street" on SW 59th. That pizza became my "standard" of what pizza should taste like. I can still go to Nomad's II to get the pizza... but somehow it doesn't seem the same, must have lost something in the recipe thru the years.

~~~

Prunepicker
11-19-2010, 09:32 PM
... during my senior year we went to "Across The Street" on SW
59th.~~~
Really? Wow! I might have seen you and wished you would come
to my table and think I was cute and talk to me and everything...
I was a hippie! No chance! LOL!

But just think, I may have seen you and wished...

Did you ever have a 400? The burgers were great!

Will you be at Coit's? Maybe you might see me and think I'm
cute and talk to me and everything...

:doh:

SoonerGirl26
11-19-2010, 09:47 PM
Really? Wow! I might have seen you and wished you would come
to my table and think I was cute and talk to me and everything...
I was a hippie! No chance! LOL!

But just think, I may have seen you and wished...

Did you ever have a 400? The burgers were great!

Will you be at Coit's? Maybe you might see me and think I'm
cute and talk to me and everything...

:doh:

Yes, I plan to be there.... and maybe I'll talk to you..... LOL!!! I guess I'll have to buy you a root beer float for your birthday!!!

~~~

Prunepicker
11-19-2010, 10:17 PM
Yes, I plan to be there... and maybe I'll talk to you... LOL!!! I
guess I'll have to buy you a root beer float for your birthday!
~~~
WOW! All of my dreams will come true! Unless you're not
filthy rich and really, really gullible.

Just don't let Tall Girl know. I think she gets jealous and she has
a gun in her Mustang. I know that because she shot at me while
I was stalking her.

Hey! I'm still awake!

Prunepicker
11-20-2010, 09:41 PM
Soonergirl26, did you ever have a 400 at the Across the Street?
I think it was a fave of the girls.

SoonerGirl26
11-20-2010, 10:09 PM
Soonergirl26, did you ever have a 400 at the Across the Street?
I think it was a fave of the girls.

I guess I don't remember what a 400 was.....???????

SoonerGirl26
11-20-2010, 10:11 PM
This came up at Coit's today.... does anyone remember the last name of the owner of the San Marcos Mexican Restaurant on SW 59th street?

~~~

Prunepicker
11-20-2010, 10:26 PM
I guess I don't remember what a 400 was?
It was chocolate milk over crushed ice. It was expensive, like
49 cents. I'd freak out if a date ordered it. It was a cost
effective thing. Chocolate milk over crushed ice wasn't cost
effective. Even it she was a South East Cheer leader!

So there!

:band:

Prunepicker
11-20-2010, 10:32 PM
This came up at Coit's today... does anyone remember the last
name of the owner of the San Marcos Mexican Restaurant on
SW 59th street?

~~~
I'm guessing... Marcos? That's a Mexican last name. I was
clueless today.

I remember when Mary and Eloy Delgado had a restaurant there.
They had a great restaurant on N.W. 12th and N. Hudson. Later
they moved to N.W. 10th and N. Walker. Then to S.W. 59th.
They catered an event at our house at one time.They were
awesome!

Eloy made a great burger. Not good. GREAT!

I'm sure they have a restaurant somewhere.

SoonerGirl26
11-20-2010, 10:37 PM
I'm guessing... Marcos? That's a Mexican last name. I was
clueless today.

I remember when Mary and Eloy Delgado had a restaurant there.
They had a great restaurant on N.W. 12th and N. Hudson. Later
they moved to N.W. 10th and N. Walker. Then to S.W. 59th.
They catered an event at our house at one time.They were
awesome!

Eloy made a great burger. Not good. GREAT!

I'm sure they have a restaurant somewhere.

Bowtieguy and I don't think it was Delgado... we both said we would know it if we hear but just can't think of it... it's one of those things that's not important but it's just driving us crazy!!!

~~~

SoonerGirl26
11-20-2010, 10:46 PM
It was chocolate milk over crushed ice. It was expensive, like
49 cents. I'd freak out if a date ordered it. It was a cost
effective thing. Chocolate milk over crushed ice wasn't cost
effective. Even it she was a South East Cheer leader!

So there!

:band:

Hey... don't be picking on me!!! Was that a #400 on the menu? I guess I thought it was too expensive to order too... LOL!!! But I bet my boyfriend would have bought it for me.... that's why he later became my husband.

: - )

Prunepicker
11-20-2010, 10:59 PM
Just don't let Tall Girl know. I think she gets jealous and she has
a gun in her Mustang. I know that because she shot at me while
I was stalking her.
It felt like a .357 hollow point because the surgeon kept saying,
"Oh my God... Oh my God... Oh my God!"

I'll show you the incisions, but not today...

Prunepicker
11-20-2010, 11:07 PM
Hey... don't be picking on me!!! Was that a #400 on the menu?
I guess I thought it was too expensive to order too... LOL!!! But
I bet my boyfriend would have bought it for me.... that's why
he later became my husband.

: - )
You're to much fun!
Yes the 400 was on the menu. I think it was .49 cents and it
was definitely .49 cents!

Oh my! You married that guy... I would have screamed and
hollered like a Grant General!

Later! Prunette sez I'm not allowed to discuss this any more.

We'll talk later, I hope!
Prune

P.S. you're the best... unless...

SoonerGirl26
11-22-2010, 08:50 PM
This came up at Coit's today.... does anyone remember the last name of the owner of the San Marcos Mexican Restaurant on SW 59th street?

~~~

OK...solved my own mystery today. I ate at San Marcos with some friends... their last name we were trying to think of was *DeLorea*.

~~~