View Full Version : Southside OKC Memories....anyone?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 [53] 54 55 56 57 58

Taxed But Not Represented
09-03-2010, 12:56 AM
I know that I am replying to an old post here but Denny was drafted by the Royals and I think he may have made made it as far as their AAA team in Omaha. He worked on the dock at LeeWay in the off season. Once I remember watching Darrell in a playoff game on TV, he had a pretty bad season that year and one of the announcers started talking about the Royals trading Darrell and bringing Denny up. I don't really know what happened to Denny's career. Jimmy was my freshman science teacher at SE and I sold cars with Eddie for a time.
OKAY....I gotta set some of this straight. I grew up next door to the Porter's. Jimmy graduated with me. Darrell was 2 years younger and he had 2 younger brothers, Eddy and Denny, and an older sister, Pat. Darrell signed with the Brewers out of high school in 1970, then later went to KC, St. Louis, and Texas. He was the MVP of the 1982 World Series. He did not commit suicide. He died on Aug. 5, 2002, when his heart stopped due to "excited delirium". I don't remember any of the other three Porter boys being drafted in the minors. Eddy went on to play football at East Central and Denny played baseball for Central State.

Their mother, Mae Porter, died at the end of October last year, and father, Ray, died less than 2 months later right before Christmas. I attended both funerals.

~~~

Taxed But Not Represented
09-03-2010, 12:58 AM
Again I'm replying to an ancient post but yes it was Bob Gaarrett before Bob Mills.
Didn't Bob Garrett have that funiture store before Bob Mills?

Generals64
09-03-2010, 07:30 AM
You can't get an alum from either school to attend a sporting event.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++
Wrong Papa....I'll be at the Grant Capitol Hill game (if you'll find out when it is for me) and meet you on the southwest corner of the "Round house"...this is my wife's 45th anniversary or whatever....she wants to go....Don't think she'll wear her old cheerleader uniform......she still looks better than good though....

SoonerGirl26
09-03-2010, 08:55 AM
I know that I am replying to an old post here but Denny was drafted by the Royals and I think he may have made made it as far as their AAA team in Omaha. He worked on the dock at LeeWay in the off season. Once I remember watching Darrell in a playoff game on TV, he had a pretty bad season that year and one of the announcers started talking about the Royals trading Darrell and bringing Denny up. I don't really know what happened to Denny's career. Jimmy was my freshman science teacher at SE and I sold cars with Eddie for a time.

I never knew that about Denny... interesting. That's why we like newbies on this forum... they read all our old posts and give us new information we didn't know or just add their own 2 cents to our comments. Love it!!!!!

~~~

osu cowboy
09-03-2010, 09:41 AM
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++++++++++
you're pretty close...On the S.W. corner of 29th & Agnew there was a smal strip shopping area. In 1964 backwards there were three stores...Tag Agency/TG&Y/and a Drug Store. Just to the east of them was a small cafe...I want to say it was Shipman's at one time. On the S.W. Corner there was an on and off again cafe.....on the N.W. corner a small convenient store. But, it wasn't there until they quit the Skating Rink. Ellen's was just south of Geno's...a little diner. The Agnew hardware store was on about 23rd and Agnew and the building is a "Junk" store now. My grand dad's "girlfriend" use to live right across the street from The Agnew Theater/Harley world....

The store between 27th and 28th (eastside) that I worked at was Maddy's as I said but we weren't a traditional hardware store. We sold freight damaged appliances, lumber,etc
The racks out back held lumber at the time I worked there. We sold carpet too. Maddy had a deal with Santa Fe rail and we would buy freight damaged goods but we would have to go pick them up off the railcar wherever they ended up after the load had shifted,etc whatever had caused the goods to be damaged. Our biggest draw were the appliances that might have a dent or chipped paint,etc. I have no idea how long he was there after I left in 70 or 71. Maddy also leased the warehouse type building behind the western wear place north of the bank, 12th or 13th maybe?

papaOU
09-03-2010, 11:11 AM
I never knew that about Denny... interesting. That's why we like newbies on this forum... they read all our old posts and give us new information we didn't know or just add their own 2 cents to our comments. Love it!!!!!

~~~

Did Denny not injure a kidney as the result of a collision during a game? I want to say he hit a backstop really hard.

Prunepicker
09-03-2010, 01:19 PM
Wrong Papa... I'll be at the Grant Capitol Hill game (if you'll find
out when it is for me) and meet you on the southwest corner of
the "Round house"... this is my wife's 45th anniversary or
whatever... she wants to go... Don't think she'll wear her old
cheerleader uniform... she still looks better than good though...
I go and be your chaperon.

papaOU
09-03-2010, 10:45 PM
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++
Wrong Papa....I'll be at the Grant Capitol Hill game (if you'll find out when it is for me) and meet you on the southwest corner of the "Round house"...this is my wife's 45th anniversary or whatever....she wants to go....Don't think she'll wear her old cheerleader uniform......she still looks better than good though....

This Friday the 10th. If your wife does not wear the cheerleader uniform, you do...:kicking:

Generals64
09-04-2010, 09:38 AM
This Friday the 10th. If your wife does not wear the cheerleader uniform, you do...:kicking:

Alright:.....Now to clear the air over last night....In the Fall of 1963 (Before Grant had a cannon) the Senior (so of them)class of 1964 took over the Southeast Building...Painted the Spartan Green (you the one INSIDE THE BUILDING) and threw flyers all over the school...Great Senior Prank ...Dumb Senior Prank as those involved SIGNED therir names on the flyer....The got "Kicked OUT" of school and could not participate in the Grant Southeast Football game that Friday night. The only guy eligible (first string) to play was o0ne of the TOP players in OKC schools and it was only because he had a doctor's appointment. The third string and whoever else the coach could get fielded the game....2nd quarter...Grant 6....Southeast 0. Then half way through the 2nd quarter the "Hero" got his let shattered....End of the Game Grant 6:......Southeast 64.....Hm, last night a Speegle Stadium there was a challenge from two teams as to who would win....In the 2nd quarter one of Grant's star players...hauled off in and ambulance.......Grant 6:.............SOUTHEAST 39........You guys (Southeast) played well .....Next year though////.....

Prunepicker
09-04-2010, 02:19 PM
... last night a Speegle Stadium there was a challenge from two
teams as to who would win... In the 2nd quarter one of Grant's
star players... hauled off in and ambulance... Grant 6...
SOUTHEAST 39... You guys (Southeast) played well... Next year
though.
Southeast was cheating. I was there and saw everything.
Gen64 & the Mrs. were there too. We have witnesses.
I think the guy in the ambulance was knifed or shot in the
head 6 or 7 times.

Generals64
09-04-2010, 02:29 PM
head 6 or 7 times.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I wonder how much it cost to get the refs on your side. I did see one of the refs taking a drink from one of the Southeast trainers...What do you think????....they (the refs) need to get some velcro though....every time a play would start they would drop those little yellow pieces of cloth.....Southeast even had a player with Yellow Shoes...Right Prunepicker....

Prunepicker
09-04-2010, 09:56 PM
I wonder how much it cost to get the refs on your side. I did see
one of the refs taking a drink from one of the Southeast trainers...
What do you think? They (the refs) need to get some velcro
though... every time a play would start they would drop those
little yellow pieces of cloth... Southeast even had a player with
Yellow Shoes...Right Prunepicker...
And the more he drank the wobblier he got!

Yeah! Yellow shoes. He was disgustingly talented. He really
knew how to cheat and not get caught. I think Grant would
have done better if half the team wasn't in handcuffs.

SoonerGirl26
09-04-2010, 10:11 PM
head 6 or 7 times.

Blah, blah, blah.....

~~~

papaOU
09-05-2010, 12:51 AM
Alright:.....Now to clear the air over last night....In the Fall of 1963 (Before Grant had a cannon) the Senior (so of them)class of 1964 took over the Southeast Building...Painted the Spartan Green (you the one INSIDE THE BUILDING) and threw flyers all over the school...Great Senior Prank ...Dumb Senior Prank as those involved SIGNED therir names on the flyer....The got "Kicked OUT" of school and could not participate in the Grant Southeast Football game that Friday night. The only guy eligible (first string) to play was o0ne of the TOP players in OKC schools and it was only because he had a doctor's appointment. The third string and whoever else the coach could get fielded the game....2nd quarter...Grant 6....Southeast 0. Then half way through the 2nd quarter the "Hero" got his let shattered....End of the Game

Grant 6:......Southeast 64.....Hm, last night a Speegle Stadium there was a challenge from two teams as to who would win....In the 2nd quarter
one of Grant's star players...hauled off in and ambulance.......Grant 6:.............SOUTHEAST 39........You guys (Southeast) played well .....Next year though////.....

If I remember the challenge it was to ATTEND the game. As was the case concerning last seasons CHHS - Grant , you failed to show.

Generals64
09-06-2010, 09:15 AM
If I remember the challenge it was to ATTEND the game. As was the case concerning last seasons CHHS - Grant , you failed to show.

Hey, I went to the S.East / Grant Game and unless something drastic happens I'll be at the Capitol Hill Game this Friday...."BEAT THE HILL FRIDAY NIGHT"!!!!!

papaOU
09-06-2010, 01:16 PM
Hey, I went to the S.East / Grant Game and unless something drastic happens I'll be at the Capitol Hill Game this Friday...."BEAT THE HILL FRIDAY NIGHT"!!!!!

I will be there........

Prunepicker
09-06-2010, 01:49 PM
Hey, I went to the S.East / Grant Game and unless something
drastic happens I'll be at the Capitol Hill Game this Friday...
"BEAT THE HILL FRIDAY NIGHT"!
Who's our favorite high school team this week?

Wait! I just found out. It's Grant.

grantgeneral78
09-06-2010, 03:36 PM
I wonder if the cheerleaders still sell the ribbons that everyone wore on there shirts for every game?

Prunepicker
09-06-2010, 04:37 PM
I wonder if the cheerleaders still sell the ribbons that everyone
wore on there shirts for every game?
I didn't see any at the football game. I wish I still had one.
Soonergirl26 probably has every one she ever got. That girl
has more memorabilia than anyone.

papaOU
09-06-2010, 05:21 PM
I wonder if the cheerleaders still sell the ribbons that everyone wore on there shirts for every game?

Not as popular as years ago. CHHS had them last season but not any the first game this year.

papaOU
09-06-2010, 11:11 PM

I am trusting you to bring the loratabs. 10's if you can get them......:busterbun

Prunepicker
10-01-2010, 03:15 PM
This isn't Southside related but the 66 Bowl sign (http://www.news9.com/Global/story.asp?S=13252011&Call=Email&Format=HTML) sold yesterday
for $3,900.
(http://www.news9.com/Global/story.asp?S=13252011&Call=Email&Format=HTML)

Prunepicker
10-14-2010, 09:37 PM
Is Coit's this weekend?
10/16

SoonerGirl26
10-14-2010, 10:30 PM
Is Coit's this weekend?
10/16

Yes.

This thread looks like it is dying!!!! Only 2 posts in the last 5 weeks????? What's up with that? Have we unloaded all those old southside memories out of our head already??

~~~

papaOU
10-14-2010, 11:36 PM
Yes.

This thread looks like it is dying!!!! Only 2 posts in the last 5 weeks????? What's up with that? Have we unloaded all those old southside memories out of our head already??

~~~

Say what?????

jmarkross
10-15-2010, 06:29 AM
Does anyone remember the Debonair Lounge in Moore? A pretty wild beer joint back in the day...

SoonerGirl26
10-15-2010, 07:50 AM
Does anyone remember the Debonair Lounge in Moore? A pretty wild beer joint back in the day...

I don't jmark, but thank you for putting some life back in this thread!!!! How far back in the day are you talking about? Where was it located? We've got some "bar guys" on here that probably remember it.... LOL!!!!

jmarkross
10-15-2010, 09:32 AM
I wish I remembered better...seems like just NW of the center of Moore now--it was so much different then...I lived in Norman at the time--and Moore was a small town and the only place with stoplights on I-35 back then...I am as old as dirt...I used to see dinosaurs east of Norman as a kid...Debonair was around in the early-mid 60's...known as the prinicipal place where fake ID's were usually passable...

jmarkross
10-15-2010, 09:35 AM
Also--might be that the thread is a little thinner now--because--most of us who might remember are dead! Ha!

SoonerGirl26
10-15-2010, 10:09 AM
I wish I remembered better...seems like just NW of the center of Moore now--it was so much different then...I lived in Norman at the time--and Moore was a small town and the only place with stoplights on I-35 back then...I am as old as dirt...I used to see dinosaurs east of Norman as a kid...Debonair was around in the early-mid 60's...known as the prinicipal place where fake ID's were usually passable...

Well guess what???? You're probably in the age range as most of us on this thread!!!!! OK boys out there.... anyone remember the Debonair??

~~~

Generals64
10-15-2010, 11:26 AM
Well guess what???? You're probably in the age range as most of us on this thread!!!!! OK boys out there.... anyone remember the Debonair??

~~~
I knew a girl named Debby Hair does that count?....I think we should bring on some of the older memories that we shared at the beginning Like how S.E. didn't really have Cheerleaders....Wait a minute (prunepicker put me up to this)....weren't you a Cheerleader with cute little white glasses???....I think we have done a great job on the memories thread but I think there are some "Newbies" that would really like to know some of our history stories.

For instance:.....why is there a boulevard in front of Capitol Hill Highschool?....Where and what was Mr. Buck?...anyone remember Emmer Brothers? What about Robert Hall?....How many of you guys and gals went to a Demolay/Rainbow dance at Myrtle Lodge? Remember getting Swats?..."even the girls got those sometime"...How about this one:.....U.S. Grant won the District Basketball tournament?....Grant won 4 o5 games in a row.......

SoonerGirl26
10-15-2010, 11:43 AM
I knew a girl named Debby Hair does that count?....I think we should bring on some of the older memories that we shared at the beginning Like how S.E. didn't really have Cheerleaders....Wait a minute (prunepicker put me up to this)....weren't you a Cheerleader with cute little white glasses???....I think we have done a great job on the memories thread but I think there are some "Newbies" that would really like to know some of our history stories.

For instance:.....why is there a boulevard in front of Capitol Hill Highschool?....Where and what was Mr. Buck?...anyone remember Emmer Brothers? What about Robert Hall?....How many of you guys and gals went to a Demolay/Rainbow dance at Myrtle Lodge? Remember getting Swats?..."even the girls got those sometime"...How about this one:.....U.S. Grant won the District Basketball tournament?....Grant won 4 o5 games in a row.......

OK Gens64 watch out on making fun of us cheerleaders..... as I recall YOU married one!!!!!! Oh yeah.... she was a Grant cheerleader.... no difference in us back in the 60's except the color of our uniforms and how big and tall we could get our hair!!! LOL!!!!

I still think one of the most interesting things we learned on this thread was that Prairie Queen school originally was a brick building on the NE corner of 59th & Western. It was shut down by the health department because they had no running water or inside toilets.... later the school opened in it's current location on S. Blackwelder. Also, reading all the newspaper articles about the Capitol Hill Golf Course that was directly south of CHHS where the housing addition and Sears are currently located. We've dug up tons of stuff in the past couple of years.

~~~~

~~~

papaOU
10-15-2010, 03:31 PM
Was that a bar or restaurant?

Generals64
10-15-2010, 03:42 PM
OK Gens64 watch out on making fun of us cheerleaders..... as I recall YOU married one!!!!!! Oh yeah.... she was a Grant cheerleader.... no difference in us back in the 60's except the color of our uniforms and how big and tall we could get our hair!!! LOL!!!!

I still think one of the most interesting things we learned on this thread was that Prairie Queen school originally was a brick building on the NE corner of 59th & Western. It was shut down by the health department because they had no running water or inside toilets.... later the school opened in it's current location on S. Blackwelder. Also, reading all the newspaper articles about the Capitol Hill Golf Course that was directly south of CHHS where the housing addition and Sears are currently located. We've dug up tons of stuff in the past couple of years.

~~~~

~~~

I agree and the fact that I have found some CHHS and Southeast that are real blows my mind. How about the fact that Capitol Hill area was in fact thought of for the placement of the State Capitol.? or, that there really are nice people from the Northside?....I have thoroughly enjoyed All of this thread as well as the others. I wics TeriOKC would show up though and you especially with the Southeast Homecoming corsage...that brought tears to my eyes and also to Prunepicker's. Yeah, I married a Grant Cheerleader and am still with her 45 years later......yee-ha

SoonerGirl26
10-15-2010, 03:57 PM
"......and you especially with the Southeast Homecoming corsage...that brought tears to my eyes and also to Prunepicker's. Yeah, I married a Grant Cheerleader and am still with her 45 years later......yee-ha"

Oh yeah.... tears in your eyes from laughing at me!!!!! Both of you!!!!!!

~~~

village idiot
10-15-2010, 05:38 PM
The Debonair Lounge (Debonair Club) as I remember it was on 89th street just west of shields. It's now a place they race R/C cars, south side of the street. I remember at one time people started "streaking" (naked) out the door at closing time on Saturday nights.. I started going every Saturday night for about a year, no need to get there until about 11:45. That was one cold winter!

SoonerGirl26
10-15-2010, 05:56 PM
The Debonair Lounge (Debonair Club) as I remember it was on 89th street just west of shields. It's now a place they race R/C cars, south side of the street. I remember at one time people started "streaking" (naked) out the door at closing time on Saturday nights.. I started going every Saturday night for about a year, no need to get there until about 11:45. That was one cold winter!

Oh yes.... I'm going to a party tonight and I think a gal that used to go to that club is going to be there!! I'll ask her about it....I'll post when I get home tonight!!! Stay tuned.........

~~~

jmarkross
10-15-2010, 05:57 PM

YES! That is the one...89th west of Shields...I just remember how it was easy to get into with my fake ID (remember the good old days when OK licenses had a yellow box with the two-digit year in it...the yellow was supposed to prevent using the blue boxes on the other numbers--but--I was an *expert* at half-thickness razor slicing and re-pasting in the "49" into a "46" by turning the "9" upside down...most of my friends were 49ers--it would even pass the flashlight test with flying colors...) it was a sure bet if one was looking for some action late...hence...the crowd really grew after 11pm when most guys had enough booze in them to be bold...ha! I do remember a raid there one night and all the people trying to get up into the ceiling area via the suspended tiles on the ceiling--and falling through all over...hilarious--even the cops were laughing..

papaOU
10-15-2010, 06:44 PM
Anyone remember a place downtown called either the Colony or the Colonial? Seems I read something about the place in an article concerning the downtown eateries. But I can't seem to find it. Can ya give me a hand?

Prunepicker
10-15-2010, 08:04 PM
I knew a girl named Debby Hair does that count? I think we
should bring on some of the older memories that we shared at
the beginning Like how S.E. didn't really have Cheerleaders... Wait
a minute (prunepicker put me up to this)... weren't you a
Cheerleader with cute little white glasses? I think we have done
a great job on the memories thread but I think there are some
"Newbies" that would really like to know some of our history
stories.

I know nothing! Nothing!

Prunepicker
10-15-2010, 08:09 PM
For instance... why is there a boulevard in front of Capitol Hill
Highschool? Where and what was Mr. Buck? anyone remember
Emmer Brothers? What about Robert Hall? How many of you guys
and gals went to a Demolay/Rainbow dance at Myrtle Lodge?
Remember getting Swats? "even the girls got those sometime"
How about this one... U.S. Grant won the District Basketball
tournament? Grant won 4 or 5 games in a row...
Mr. Buck, I had a bad experience with a salesman and never
walked through the door again.

Emmer Bros. Had an awful black suit from there. I wore it to
a gig once and Prunette said I'll never wear it again.

Robert Hall. Oh yeah. That's where I learned that suits were
supposed to be uncomfortable and that dress shirts were
supposed to choke you or they were too loose.

Myrtle Lodge. I was a member and went to many dances
and social occasions.

Swats were a daily way of life for me.

Basketball? What's that.

SoonerGirl26
10-15-2010, 10:24 PM
Anyone remember a place downtown called either the Colony or the Colonial? Seems I read something about the place in an article concerning the downtown eateries. But I can't seem to find it. Can ya give me a hand?

I found an ad for a place called the "Colonial Cafe" that was at 1st & Broadway in 1923. And then found another ad in 1966 for "Wade's Colonial Cafeteria" at 320 N. Robinson in the First National Bldg. Either one of them what you're looking for?

~~

jmarkross
10-16-2010, 03:25 AM
Mr. Buck, I had a bad experience with a salesman and never
walked through the door again.

Emmer Bros. Had an awful black suit from there. I wore it to
a gig once and Prunette said I'll never wear it again.

Robert Hall. Oh yeah. That's where I learned that suits were
supposed to be uncomfortable and that dress shirts were
supposed to choke you or they were too loose.

Myrtle Lodge. I was a member and went to many dances
and social occasions.

Swats were a daily way of life for me.

Basketball? What's that.

Robert Hall was where men took their young boys if they wanted them to embrace a blue-collar lifestyle...they had awful little torture-suits that aesthetically would turn a freight train down a dirt road...the one in S. OKC was the flagship of horrors...their styles and cloth would guarantee ridicule and humiliation...add Tom McAn shoes to complete the induction into the USMC at 18...oorah!

jmarkross
10-16-2010, 04:21 AM
I found an ad for a place called the "Colonial Cafe" that was at 1st & Broadway in 1923. And then found another ad in 1966 for "Wade's Colonial Cafeteria" at 320 N. Robinson in the First National Bldg. Either one of them what you're looking for?

~~

I remember Wade's...good place...when I worked at OCURA in the Colcord...

Steve
10-16-2010, 06:39 PM
Jmarkross, you just grabbed my attention. You worked with James White at OCURA? I want to meet you.

papaOU
10-16-2010, 11:10 PM

~~

It seems I read about in the Urban Renewal segment that Mr. Bob sent us. Thanks for looking.

SoonerGirl26
10-19-2010, 09:48 PM
US GRANT GENERALS: Bowtieguy just told me that a portion of I-40 has been named "Billy B. Walkabout Memorial Highway". Did you guys know that? The legislature passed a bill this last spring to name the portion of I-40 between the I-35 junction and Eastern. Well deserved.

~~~

Prunepicker
10-19-2010, 11:19 PM
US GRANT GENERALS: Bowtieguy just told me that a portion of
I-40 has been named "Billy B. Walkabout Memorial Highway". Did
you guys know that? The legislature passed a bill this last spring
to name the portion of I-40 between the I-35 junction and
Eastern. Well deserved.

~~~
I never knew him but know who he was.

gen70
10-20-2010, 06:14 AM
US GRANT GENERALS: Bowtieguy just told me that a portion of I-40 has been named "Billy B. Walkabout Memorial Highway". Did you guys know that? The legislature passed a bill this last spring to name the portion of I-40 between the I-35 junction and Eastern. Well deserved.

~~~ Glad to hear that. He was a friend of mine in jr. high and he and his family were one of our neighbors.

Generals64
10-20-2010, 08:13 AM
Glad to hear that. He was a friend of mine in jr. high and he and his family were one of our neighbors.

Billy and his brother Warren were both good friends of the family. Both pretty tough guys....Billy was quite a Vietnam Hero and then Warren was a Sate Champion Wrestler in his high School days. I think Warren graduated in 1965 and Billy in 1968.....Good choice...Thanks DOT....

corpsman
10-21-2010, 09:21 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billy_Walkabout

Really good stuff here. The links in the notes go to his obit and medal citations.

doughboy1739
10-24-2010, 05:42 PM
hey i have been searching for years for the shipmans cafe biscuit recipe how much of flour etc and if some one has it please send it to my e- mail doughboy1739@yahoo.comme and my family use to eat there every friday night and would go to patios mexican restraunt on sat mrs shipman was such a sweet lady i hated it when her husband died he was also a great man i remember people would come to the back door of the restraunt and they never turned them down they always feed them thanks larry alexander
A polite correction. They were BISCUITS! Flour, lard and milk.

Transfat rulz!

YEAH!

You must be a Yankee or a commie spy... I've never been able to
tell the difference :tiphat:

Generals64
10-25-2010, 10:41 AM
hey i have been searching for years for the shipmans cafe biscuit recipe how much of flour etc and if some one has it please send it to my e- mail doughboy1739@yahoo.comme and my family use to eat there every friday night and would go to patios mexican restraunt on sat mrs shipman was such a sweet lady i hated it when her husband died he was also a great man i remember people would come to the back door of the restraunt and they never turned them down they always feed them thanks larry alexander

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey guy, I have the recipe...I just have to find it again. The recipe is posted already (some time back) but I don't remember which thread I put it on. Try the Restaurant most missed if not, I'll send it to you.....

jmarkross
10-25-2010, 10:50 AM
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey guy, I have the recipe...I just have to find it again. The recipe is posted already (some time back) but I don't remember which thread I put it on. Try the Restaurant most missed if not, I'll send it to you.....

I almost bought a small amount of manteca today at WallyWorld...just to have for those things that really require pork fat. Most chefs call it the most essential thing in a kitchen--Julia Child did. They way it deals with the starch in flour makes all the difference in the world--especially biscuits and pie crust. Vegetable shortening is a poor substitute for many things...

Prunepicker
10-25-2010, 11:50 AM
Hey guy, I have the recipe... I just have to find it again. The
recipe is posted already (some time back) but I don't remember
which thread I put it on. Try the Restaurant most missed if not,
I'll send it to you...
Here it is, compliments of Gen64. I kept it.

Shipman’s Biscuit Recipe
2 Cups of Sifted Flour
3 tablespoons OIL Not lard
1/2 tsp. Salt
1 tablespoon of sugar
1 packet of yeast
3/4 cup of warm water, warm enough to melt the yeast
mix the oil, salt, flour and sugar stir them to texture and pour in a
packet of yeast and the water and mix to consistent. Then knead the
mixture and roll it out to about 3/4" thick then cut the biscuits out.
Put on a 13 x 9 pan and cover with a kitchen towel until it rises...30
minutes or less

Bake 25 minutes at 400 degrees

The biscuits at Shipman's were on a conveyor belt type
oven. They kept dropping out!

Recipes from the Restaurants of Oklahoma City.

jmarkross
10-25-2010, 11:58 AM
Here it is, compliments of Gen64. I kept it.

Shipman’s Biscuit Recipe
2 Cups of Sifted Flour
3 tablespoons OIL Not lard
1/2 tsp. Salt
1 tablespoon of sugar
1 packet of yeast
3/4 cup of warm water, warm enough to melt the yeast
mix the oil, salt, flour and sugar stir them to texture and pour in a
packet of yeast and the water and mix to consistent. Then knead the
mixture and roll it out to about 3/4" thick then cut the biscuits out.
Put on a 13 x 9 pan and cover with a kitchen towel until it rises...30
minutes or less

Bake 25 minutes at 400 degrees

The biscuits at Shipman's were on a conveyor belt type
oven. They kept dropping out!

Recipes from the Restaurants of Oklahoma City.

Would these not be ROLLS..rather than biscuits? I like them both...

village idiot
10-25-2010, 01:04 PM
Your only as good as your last recipe, how about Nicolosi's lasagna and house salad dressing?

Generals64
10-25-2010, 03:22 PM
Would these not be ROLLS..rather than biscuits? I like them both...

that is the Biscuit Recipe.....No, these are the true Shipman biscuits.....add honey and butter and then let your mom smack you across the face for making such a mess...then you look over at your dad and everyone begins to laugh......I really liked the Ham Steak they had there also....

Generals64
10-25-2010, 03:23 PM
that is the Biscuit Recipe.....No, these are the true Shipman biscuits.....add honey and butter and then let your mom smack you across the face for making such a mess...then you look over at your dad and everyone begins to laugh......I really liked the Ham Steak they had there also....

where have you been?????.....wish I could find a place as good as Nicolosis....I'd even let you buy.....wsn't the house dressing sorta like a French Dressing????help me out here pal....

jmarkross
10-25-2010, 03:26 PM

Well--you being a General, I will respect that. I do remember the table manners you speak of from the 1950's...smack the boys was the cultural sport back then...:numchucks :numchucks :numchucks :numchucks