View Full Version : Southside OKC Memories....anyone?

SoonerGirl26
08-15-2008, 11:27 PM
Just remembered few other little things, remember when you got your class ring you had to wear it to where you could read it during your junior year and you turned it so everyone could read it during the senior year.

then groups were divided inside grant you were either a DOPER, GOAT ROPER,PREPPY,JOCKS OR EINSTEIN.

PEP ASSEMBLYS those were something else.

I remember that we called the northsiders "Silkies"...and they called us "Greasers".

Did you guys walk the halls before school? We would get to school early and walk down the hall, turn around and walk back....we did that back and forth (like a parade) until the bell rang for us to go to class. Was that just a SE thing?

During my days in high school.....SE's hangout was the Del Rancho on 59th; Capitol Hill's was The Spot on Western; and Grant's was the Triple A on 59th (the A frame building next to Kenny Skaggs). We would drive from one to the other all night long.

grantgeneral78
08-16-2008, 02:43 AM
I remember that we called the northsiders "Silkies"...and they called us "Greasers".

Did you guys walk the halls before school? We would get to school early and walk down the hall, turn around and walk back....we did that back and forth (like a parade) until the bell rang for us to go to class. Was that just a SE thing?

During my days in high school.....SE's hangout was the Del Rancho on 59th; Capitol Hill's was The Spot on Western; and Grant's was the Triple A on 59th (the A frame building next to Kenny Skaggs). We would drive from one to the other all night long.

I- am sure there was a few that got there early,not me I gort there as late as possible haha. Now between classes yea we all would get together in the halls.

Yea we cruised 59th between penn and down to sonic and then back again, I am sure I have a cowpath down there I can call my very own.That just brought back a weird memory that you mentioned that, I had this bright yellow pickup with a roll bar in the back and these big round fog lights on it.I turned them suckers on going down 59th and I am sure they blinded everyone! yup the cops pulled me over and said shut those things off now!! So i bought some yellow padded "KC" for light covers in the shape of a smily face and turned them back on and drove like that. Sure was funny to see those 2 smiley faces coming at ya (did not last long covers melted grrr)

Prunepicker
08-16-2008, 07:19 AM
More memories....

12. Tiny hamburger place at 26 & Walker....like a little trailer...it's still there.

And remember from the 60's...

c. Twiggy dresses
h. And I dare say... anyone remember the "wob?"

12. Would that have been Cherry's? There were several around town what were made from train cars.

c. Who was skinny enough to wear one?

h. I remember it but never really new what it meant.

cindyl57
08-16-2008, 09:41 AM
Remember when High School had "Smoking Areas"....
I didn't smoke, but I hung out with people who did...We would be outside Freezing our Butts off...I finally got to where I would hang out in the library in the ams before class as I was freezing my butt off trying to act cool when I didn't even smoke...

And me...I wasn't a preppy, jock, doper, nerd,goat roper.... I wasn't anything...how sad is that...no label at all...LOL

Generals64
08-16-2008, 10:20 AM
You guys are making me hungry. Anyone else remember those rolls at Harrigan's? Mmmmm.

I was just a kid at the time but I have a vague memory of a restaurant shaped like a windmill on I-240. I think it may have been called Zeider Zee?

I miss the old A&W on... I think it was 89th.

Wasn't there a Diary Queen around 59th and May at one point?

I have a very vague memory of when Capitol Hill was still in its hey day. I remember my parents taking me down there and I can vividly remember the flower shop that was down there... I remember the smell of roses and the cold, cold refrigerated air from the place. I also seem to remember window shopping... clothing stores, meat markets, etc.

Okay, can someone help me out with something. When I was really little I remember my parents driving "way up" May Ave. to the original Grider's and on the way back home we would always pass this neon sign that had motion to it of a kangaroo hopping over something. Maybe a lock? Anyone have any idea what this might be?

Anyone else remember looking for "the KTOK diamond" in Early Wine Park?

Oh wow that makes me think of Captain Perdue in Red Rover, over. Now that's something I haven't thought of in years.

-----------------------------------------------------------
1. Yes on Zieder Zee. I think it's an animal hospital now.
2. That sign was a Mac's Sign co. Go to N 21st and Eastern in Moore and the sign is there under Hop 'N Lok.

See Ya next time.

Generals64
08-16-2008, 10:25 AM
You probably forgot that SE was a Jr.-Sr. High back then. I went to SE from 7th grade thru 12th. We beat Grant 54-6 in the fall of 1963...my 8th grade year. Bobby Murcer scored 3 of those touchdowns. No, I won't be there to protect my school next Saturday, so don't talk about us too much!! You'll have to schedule another one.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Same Game:....boy, you are old:..........Your team also Broke Jerry Pitts leg....another hero bit the dust.

By the way, I guess Grant painted the Spartan before you guys painted the cannon?.....My wife graduated from Grant in '66 and the people she knew from S.E. always bragged about painting Grant's cannon before anyone else......

Have fun on your trip:................see ya next time:...........................

SoonerGirl26
08-16-2008, 10:45 AM
12. Would that have been Cherry's? There were several around town what were made from train cars.

c. Who was skinny enough to wear one?

h. I remember it but never really new what it meant.

That might have been Cherry's...not for sure....I really remember it when I was in grade school at Lee...so that might have been in the early 60's.

I was skinny enough back then...only weighed 95 pounds my senior year. Yikes!

You are like the rest of us....everyone remembers the "wob" but no one knows what it meant or who started it. Crazy!!

SoonerGirl26
08-16-2008, 10:52 AM
Some of you mentioned the "Across the Street" restaurant at 59th & Agnew. I have a funny story about it.....

When it first opened we went there after football games. One night my mom needed to get a hold of me and since it was new my mom called directory assitance to get their number. Here's how the dialog went......

Mom: I need the number for Across the Street.
Operator: What is the name?
Mom: Across the Street.
Operator (in a huffy voice): Ma'am, if you don't know who lives across the street I can't look up their number for you.

The Operator then hung up on my mom.

We laughed about that for years!!

Prunepicker
08-16-2008, 11:09 AM
You guys are making me hungry. Anyone else remember those rolls at Harrigan's? Mmmmm.

I miss the old A&W on... I think it was 89th.

Wasn't there a Diary Queen around 59th and May at one point?

Harrigan's cheese rolls, oh yeah!

I'm not sure about an A&W on S.W. 89th but there was one just south of S.W. 59th on S. Western.

The Dairy Queen was near S.W. 50th & S. May on the west side of the street.

Billie's Tastee Freeze was on S.W. 59th & S. May.

SoonerGirl26
08-16-2008, 11:35 AM
I'm not sure about an A&W on S.W. 89th but there was one just south of S.W. 59th on S. Western.

Wasn't there an A&W at 89th & Western (near the Hobby Lobby store). It's now a Swadley's BBQ?

Martin
08-16-2008, 12:23 PM
^
89th & western, where swadley's is currently... you got it.

-M

Prunepicker
08-16-2008, 01:14 PM
89th & western, where Swadley's is currently... you got it. - M

I've eaten at Swadley's a few times because some friends were playing at the N. Rockwell place. Imagine the shock when I found out it was supposed to BBQ.

Georgia and Ron are really nice people and are doing a good job of keeping their business going.

aside - BMI and ASCAP caused them to have to end the live entertainment. A real dirty trick to pull. They wanted them to pay outrageous royalties and yearly fees in order to have free entertainment. It was a good place for amatuers to play in front of a friendly crowd.

fire121
08-16-2008, 02:48 PM
Yes, The A&W opened there in the early 70s. Ray Doonkeen was the owner/mgr and his cousin Mario Hernandez was the assistant mgr. I think that is his last name? His grandmother had the Cosina Domina (sp?) Mexican restaurant on SE 29 and Central. He took that over and expanded to several locations then sold out. He now owns/operates the Adobe Grill at NW 50 and Shartel. ( A&W Carhop and Cook '77-'78)

Prunepicker
08-16-2008, 03:09 PM
His grandmother had the Cosina Domina (sp?) Mexican restaurant on SE 29 and Central.

Cocina de Mino. A really good Mexican restaurant. It means My Kitchen or something like that.

grantgeneral78
08-16-2008, 03:36 PM
Ok here is a few:

pizza planet...56th and penn
roy rodgers.....59th and blackwelder
pharmacy next to rudys on 59th may
jim dandy chicken on may
croketts bbq on may and 74th
neptunes, on 44th and penn
south park theatre on 44th and may
park terrace theatre on 59th and may
sound warehouse on 74th and penn
linda soundtrack...gotta luv her
humpty dumptys on penn and 44th
utotem on may avenue
catfish cabin 29th and may
miss lavons on penn

and the evil water wiggle!

Generals64
08-16-2008, 05:09 PM
O.K., Pizza Planet was where we we went in the 60's if we couldn't afford Sussy's.
Pharmacy (Almonte):...What about Jones Pharm. on 59/Penn
Humpty Dumpty was on 44th/Western:..Safeway on Penn (Grant Square).
Catfish Cabin:..O.K., it was a Pancake House, a Steakhouse, Chinese Place, Hamburger Joint, Sandwich/Grille....
Miss Lavon's on Penn:.....How about Jean's on Penn (oh, you weren't born then)..See Ya next time...And Saturday.........I have a Fanner 50 remember those?

Generals64
08-16-2008, 05:15 PM
If you don't remember the Fanner 50, I'll bring it Saturday...It's missing the grips but it's still for real:........

when we were kids, there two toys we (My best buddy) and I treasured, One of thos toys was a plastic hot rod that cost 19 cents. My Friend found one at an antique shop. I'll bring it as well a little man (rubber) that came out of the original Fort Apache:................

For real, I still have the Beatles White Album :...CCr, steppenwolf, rolling stones,then a whole bunch of early country/western. They still work too. And for the ladies I gave my mother-in-law (before she passed away '05) a Chatty Cathy I know where it is if anyone wants to walk down that lane:................

See ya next time:..............

Generals64
08-16-2008, 05:21 PM
Hey:...my mind isn't working too well tonight:....What about the old toys we/you guys used to play with? Any fond memories:.........
1. '59 Barbie Doll (not me, my sisters) But in my "junk" piles I still have one.
2. Catseye Marbles
3. Daisy Red Ryder B-B Gun.
4. An original Smokey the Bear teddy bear. Pretty rough shape but we conquered many a dark night together.
5. MTD Models (late 50's)
6. How about an electric Football Game:...........?
7. An original Radio Flyer...Wasn't mine...I'm not That old.
8. Aunt Jemima Doll:...once again Not mine:.........

If you don't realize it, I am a "Junk Collector" of nostalgia:....Was in the Dime store business too long:...........Know where the first T.G.&Y. (as a group) was opened?

See ya next time:............................

grantgeneral78
08-16-2008, 06:37 PM
ok correct me if I am wrong but wasnt the fanner the one that you put the bullets together and put the blast cap on the shell?

yea your right on safeway got mixfused

My best friends are junk collectors..they always have kewl stuff

grantgeneral78
08-16-2008, 06:38 PM
ok here is something not everyone remembers

city tittys
and city camel humps

FRISKY
08-16-2008, 08:08 PM
What was the name of the small A-frame ice cream place on the north side of 59th about Villa? They had a live rock band in the parking lot a couple times.

Generals64
08-16-2008, 08:29 PM
ok correct me if I am wrong but wasnt the fanner the one that you put the bullets together and put the blast cap on the shell?

yea your right on safeway got mixfused

My best friends are junk collectors..they always have kewl stuff

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
NO:>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Fanner 50 is sacred :.......they (Mattel) quit making them about the time you graduated from highschool. Even then they were hard to find.
My Oldest son kept his until he could for gas for his car.....Not much nostalgia in him.
The Fanner Fity had a place to put a roll of caps and you could fan the pistol and it would just keep firing.
Speaking of caps do you remember the "Rocket Bombs"., You would put a single cap in it, throw it in the air and let it hit on concrete and it would "pop" yeah:...they used to cost 10 cents and the caps were 2 boxes for a nickle.
How about the plastic coach sets with the cowboys and horses with the stage coach robbers? I was so enthralled with them as a kid that when I started managing my first store I bought 2 or 3 gross of them. My boss got so upset but, it was at Christmas time and the guys my age bought them for their Kids...speaking of nostalgia.....sold them all.........$1.99 each.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My prize possession now is a Colt (yeah a real one) .41 caliber "Thunderer" like John Wesley Hardin and Billy the Kid carried it was made in 1890 and stil has 85% Factory Blue. THE AGE OF A BOY IS BY THE PRICE OF HIS TOYS.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SEE YA NEXT TIME:...............

grantgeneral78
08-16-2008, 10:19 PM
[QUOTE=Generals64;162021]----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
NO:>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Fanner 50 is sacred :.......they (Mattel) quit making them about the time you graduated from highschool. Even then they were hard to find.
My Oldest son kept his until he could for gas for his car.....Not much nostalgia in him.
The Fanner Fity had a place to put a roll of caps and you could fan the pistol and it would just keep firing.

OH heck yea I remember that I just forgot what they were called, I bought a many caps at that tg&y on 59th and may.

Even had 2 holsters me and my posee ruled our street, or so we thought at the time.

oneforone
08-17-2008, 12:18 AM
Wasn't there an A&W at 89th & Western (near the Hobby Lobby store). It's now a Swadley's BBQ?

A&W closed when they opened the new A&W/Long John's on 74th and Western. Yum brands bought out the franchise license from the family who owned the one on 89th. I remember reading it in the Joklahoman. One of the terms of the agreement is they would allow their employees to move to the new A&W if they wanted a job there.

Prunepicker
08-17-2008, 01:34 PM
ok correct me if I am wrong but wasn't the Fanner the one that you put the bullets together and put the blast cap on the shell?

The 'Fanner 50' used caps. There were 50 shots on a roll of caps. Mattel had a name for their unusual colored caps. Do you remember the name?

Generals64
08-17-2008, 05:04 PM
Ok here is a few:

pizza planet...56th and penn
roy rodgers.....59th and blackwelder
pharmacy next to rudys on 59th may
jim dandy chicken on may
croketts bbq on may and 74th
neptunes, on 44th and penn
south park theatre on 44th and may
park terrace theatre on 59th and may
sound warehouse on 74th and penn
linda soundtrack...gotta luv her
humpty dumptys on penn and 44th
utotem on may avenue
catfish cabin 29th and may
miss lavons o

and the evil water wiggle!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
44th/Penn the name of the center is Grant Square. What was the name of the Variety store that was in that center? Jewel Box Florist started in that center. Mrs. Nettle (her son Fred graduated in '64) started the florist shop there.
Next door there was a hamburger Grille there that in the 8th Grade all the kids used to go there since no one had car we could walk to there."GREASE PIT."
If you were short a nickle or dime Mrs. Nettle was the banker...she always came through.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
When I was in the5th-9th Grade we used to play in Lightning creek...When there was a big rain, we would jump off the bridge at 44th/Drexel and ride the current to 51/Independence......I'd beat my kids to death if I caught them doing that:.....but, that was what my Dad always said....Never caught us. When it would snow, you guys surely remember when it snowed so hard in OKC, we would ride an old rocking chair down the embankment and would bust ourselves in the face when the chair flipped over:.....thought that was fun?...... Duh .......

Do any of you remember the old Agnew Hardware? He had anything you could need there and it wasn't so very long ago that it closed. How about riding old car hoods on the ice behind a car? you used to learn how to duck though when the car stopped......That was like playing with a loaded gun.....I don't know what were thinking............we weren't we were kids making do with nothing

grantgeneral78
08-17-2008, 05:20 PM
were they call greenies?

grantgeneral78
08-17-2008, 05:23 PM
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do any of you remember the old Agnew Hardware? He had anything you could need there and it wasn't so very long ago that it closed. How about riding old car hoods on the ice behind a car? you used to learn how to duck though when the car stopped......That was like playing with a loaded gun.....I don't know what were thinking............we weren't we were kids making do with nothing

yes I used to go there all the time when we had our body shop on s.w. 25th and kentucky

Generals64
08-17-2008, 08:02 PM
Hey, here's one I forgot:...Epperson Photos ....Paul Epperson used to sell Cameras for the 74th st. T.G.&Y...One day he and I were talking about going into business for ourselves......We both did, he still is. One good guy.......but, he was an old southsider.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have read through here about the Twilight Zone? As kids in the early 60's/late 50's we were looking for places like that. What originally got us going over there was the Nudity we could see through the big plate glass windows....Boys will be boys...then we would try to embarrass the girls that were with us. This was the beginning of the "Hippy" "Free Love" days. Then about two years ago we had some friends that wanted to see what everyone was talking about so we went in the daylight and sure enough there were some "OLD" chicks sunbathing Naked....It wasn't as exciting as when we were kids....they didn't look as good as they did back then and my wife was rolling in the floor of the car laughing at me when she saw the look of disappointment on my face. Old men still dream (Don't they?) come on you guys, help me out here.

Why did we buy madras shirts? They faded, the fell apart, they HAD to be starched to look good and then the girls would tear the loop off the back. Not much of that made sense did it? How about Wheat Jeans? They had to be starch and ironed and then they would be wrinkled completely by the time you got to school And we thought we were looking good...Only to see the real jocks have their mommies bring them another shirt.

How about the Prom? One guy taped his mothers douche bag to his arm in order to bring Jack Daniels into the dance. Tasted horrible, don't know if he remembered to wash it out.....Then where did you pin the corsage without the girl's date bringing out a shotgun?......Looked cool though....Then we always ended up in Cattlemen's my girl/now wife always ordered the rig eye $4.99 and I got the pan fried steak...$3.99 and we were sitting on top of the world. My wife's were friends with Gene and Percy Wade so we always had a good table? It was there I told me wife I loved her.......still together 45 years...she still looks like she did in highschool....me to....just a few more pounds however. My levi's still fit theyre just another size. How about buck horn jeans from Langston's...Cheaper but a whole lot better than overalls. Did that fashion statement in the third grade
wasn't really appreciated. Then the "Boogie" haircut...my dad said NO...no way...no f.......way. so, I waited until he went out of town (drove a truck) got my haircut (Boogie style) and would you know it, he came home early. Got to get MY MONEY out and have mr. Raulston give me an army cut...Didn't try my dad again.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
kawasaki, kawasaki:..........what was the rest? Where was it located and who owned it?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Remember Murcer's Jewelry store:....I still have on the ring my wife put on my finger 43 years ago (can't get it off...tooo fat)....she paid 19.99 for awhite gold band. After a few years, I took my class ring and had it melted down and took the diamonds and had her a new wedding ring made me look like a hero....Then I got a 3 1/2 diamond in a trade and had that made into the one she wears now. But, mr murcer started it all...........1965...........what a year....we were married in June of '66....bought anew house in June of'67.....then we couldn't find it for a couple of days. It was back on s.w.85th and Villa.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Does anyone remember Brock Park? How many pools were there?.....
2. Remind me Saturday about the shootin at Grant in the sixties...guy died...Big Fight.
3. Does anyone remember Emory Ashpaugh? Built the most exotic 55 chevy in OKC...went to Grant and was envied by everyone {even teachers}. He a bunch of
guys his junior year and too much beer and too much nervr he dove off the Falls at turner Falls. pushed his neck in and almost killed himself:...confined to a wheelchair until he just recently passed away.

4. Bobby Atherton: The girls swoon over him (really it was his purple lowered 51 Chevy)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Connie Hahn:...cha...cha...cha..............Janice Treichler:........Cha-cha-cha:......
I'm not that old..... woohoo.....
What were the girls required for initiation to the Pep Squad?............
Where were the autograph pencils tied for the "O" club initiation?

Generals64
08-17-2008, 08:24 PM
1. do you remember the Bread Man?
2. The Milk Man?
3. Door to Door donut salesman?
4. Door to door insurance salesman? collected 11 cents a week.
5. How Mr. Nixon the independent Garbage man?
6. How about the people that would turn their living rooms into a small grocery store. One on every block......
7. When Oklahoma was reinstating beer and liquor Coors shipped 6 trailer load of
the wrongcontent (6.2) beer in so, they had to destroy it. My Grandfather ran the dump on Portland. He called my dad and told him to get everything and everyone that could haul or carry before the dozer arrived. They brought 16' flat bed trailers, pick-up trucks, cars and wagons back. Lotsa beer was consumed that year........
8. Need to find out where and why the time capsule was never dug up at Grant? I know '64 '65 '66 had them out there in front of the office........
9. Remember the HOWDY dances????????
10.how about sliding down the hall in front of the boiler. then the two swats later......
11. What happened to the Home ec rooms:..we got to sample the food somes times we HAD to sample the food. The Science table are still alive...my wife has them in her classroom...also, I got Mrs. carters Precious WORLD GLOBE..........
12. HOW MR. KNORR? I think my still has a crush on him.....Until she saw his wife.
13. How about Al Fuller (passed away recently);....Thought he was a sissy but he wasn't. His first wife was a girl that graduated in '64......

HOW ABOUT "FROG" THOMPSON???????????? THERE'S ONE TO DRAW TOO.

SEE YA NEXT TIME.............

SEE YA NEXT TIME

Prunepicker
08-17-2008, 09:34 PM
44th/Penn the name of the center is Grant Square. What was the name of the Variety store that was in that center?

I'm not sure but when I was at Grant we'd go to Woolworth's for lunch. You could get a hot dog, fries and a coke for about 40 cents.

Remember the chili cheese burger at Penn 44?

Generals64
08-18-2008, 06:30 AM
I'm not sure but when I was at Grant we'd go to Woolworth's for lunch. You could get a hot dog, fries and a coke for about 40 cents.

Remember the chili cheese burger at Penn 44?

You're right on Woolworth's. It stayed until T.G.&Y. bought them out. Yes, I remember the Chzbrgr.........Also, the pin Ball machines...I always wondered how long that great big tree out on penn would last.

FRISKY
08-18-2008, 07:12 PM
Penn 44 also had one of the first "racecar" video games. It didn't use a CRT video screen.

Does anyone remember the go-karts they had behind the gas station about SW 46th on the east side of Penn?

How about the drive-thru Nuway dry cleaners (8-hour service) at SW44 and Penn?

What was the name of the game room just north of Across The Street in the same strip shopping center? They were one of the last places to have 10-cent pinball machines.

Martin
08-18-2008, 08:21 PM
^
i don't remember those go-carts, but that does remind me of malibu grand prix that was off of i-35... it was on the east side, but i can't remember the exact cross street.

-M

dismayed
08-18-2008, 08:29 PM
Is there still a place called Neptune Subs somewhere in that same part of town, or is it long gone?

I visited my grandparents recently and told them about this thread. They got a huge kick out of hearing about Across the Street, they said they used to go there all the time and had completely forgotten all about it.

Prunepicker
08-18-2008, 08:35 PM
i don't remember those go-carts, but that does remind me of malibu grand prix that was off of i-35... it was on the east side, but i can't remember the exact cross street.-M

It was between S.W. 59th and S.W. 44th. I think it was a national chain.

Generals64
08-19-2008, 06:29 PM
It was between S.W. 59th and S.W. 44th. I think it was a national chain.

Hey Pruner:.........there is a bank on that location....About S.E. 49th:..........

see ya next time:.............

Prunepicker
08-19-2008, 07:59 PM
Hey Pruner ...there is a bank on that location... About S.E. 49th... see ya next time...

Is it Malibu Bank?

That's supposed to be funny.

By the way... the wife has give me permission to attend the banquet at Coney Island!

FRISKY
08-20-2008, 02:47 PM
I got a tags for my bicycles from Fire Station #25 at SW 59th and Miller.

TeriOKC
08-20-2008, 04:25 PM
It's hard to believe that the "little thread" I started a couple of months back has grown so much!

All of your contributions have made this so enjoyable. Some of your recollections are a bit before my time, but I've got to have my older sister (the '63 -or '62, I always forget- USG valedictorian, and the only one who is computer literate) to visit and post.

You mentioned a chain raceway, I think you're remembering Malibu Grand Prix.

There is still a Neptune's at 33rd and Classen - just a few blocks from me. They're packed at lunch every day. Fresh baked bread - yum!

I'm still grieving the loss of Southwood at 59th and Western - the corner looks horrible now, in my opinion.

Anyone remember Minnie Pearl's Fried Chicken, and where it was located? It was a big deal when it opened, but it didn't last long.

Generals64
08-20-2008, 04:31 PM
It's hard to believe that the "little thread" I started a couple of months back has grown so much!

All of your contributions have made this so enjoyable. Some of your recollections are a bit before my time, but I've got to have my older sister (the '63 -or '62, I always forget- USG valedictorian, and the only one who is computer literate) to visit and post.

There is still a Neptune's at 33rd and Classen - just a few blocks from me. They're packed at lunch every day. Fresh baked bread - yum!

I'm still grieving the loss of Southwood at 59th and Western - the corner looks horrible now, in my opinion.

Anyone remember Minnie Pearl's Fried Chicken, and where it was located? It was a big deal when it opened, but it didn't last long.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I had heard that the congregation just literally gave up at Southwood church and it dwindled to nothing. That was an icon on the southside..hated to see it go.

I remember Minnie Pearl's but I don't remember where it was, it didn't last long at all however. I have a couple of more questions see if anyone can answer...Teri:...before your time.

1. On S.W. 29th st. there is (or was) an upholstery shop (Hoaglin's) for years and years...next door was a drive -In eating joint that eventually went out business. What did the next business sell and what was the name?

2. Doses anyone one remember the first McDonald's in OKC?....it was on 29th st. S.W. on the south side of the street not far from Economy Square. I was told today that the Roosevelt Jr. High Band played for the Grand Opening. That was in the fall of '61.....

See ya next time:....................

Generals64
08-20-2008, 04:35 PM

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
That's Cool:......Iremember the fire Department came to Arthur and inspected all of our bicycles and tagged them. The greased the wheels/axles, adjusted the seats to the kids that owned them, they went as far as giving a school on it...What happened to those days? I guess now they would have to have a gun safety course.

I also remember in the 3rd and 4th grade taking the Polio vaccine...Matter of fact I still have the pin they gave you after the third shot. I think mine was for running faster than the nurses...The shots hurt............

See ya next time:................................

grantgeneral78
08-20-2008, 08:50 PM

OMG there is still a neptunes.....I am so there!!

Prunepicker
08-20-2008, 08:53 PM

So did I! Didn't it cost a quarter? I remember riding up to the back where the pop machine was and going through that door to a wooden desk. The back porch light was always on, day or night.

Prunepicker
08-20-2008, 08:57 PM

That was Quick's long before it was Neptune's. We cruised it every Friday and Saturday.

"I promise, Officer Rains, I won't burn my tires when I pull out". heehee...

He was one of the first to have a Kawasaki Mach III.

grantgeneral78
08-21-2008, 10:52 AM
A designer friend of mine designed the firehouse`s we have today. Remember where the firehouse on 59th used to sit? when it was in its old location they came to my gradeschool HILLCREST ELEMENTRY nad set up a little town and we took our bikes through tthe course and got our tags at the end of the course from a fireman.

Also brings back memories of tetherball on the west side of the school and kid mini tournaments..there was a short blond headed boy no one could beat. Little creep I still dont like him hahahaha

Also dodge ball against the school wall...just don`t get any better.

Generals64
08-22-2008, 01:54 PM
You guys were reight, It cost 25 cents when they did our bicycles. My dad bought my bicycle from some "Junk Yard". He paid $1.00 for it then he bought two new tires and tubes another $4.00. He put it all together and it was so cool. No fenders a total Aluminum frame Pearson Leather seat (worn out) and longhorn handle bars. It was the big thing in the late 50's for all the "big" guys to name their cars so we started naming our bicycles and of course you had to write it on the frame. My bike was name "Minnie Troubles". Travel many, many a southside mile.

Hey, what about the Miniature golf course on 13th/14th and south Western...any one remember that one?
1. How about Van's auto Supply:....know where it was located Prunepicker?
2. Anyone remember the furniture store east of Capitol Hill high School on 36th st.?
3. Can you tell me where the southside library is located?
4. How about Don Wallace's "Sidekick's" name? WKY 930 with Don Wallace &____?
5. Finish this Jingle and tell where the business was located...Kawasaki, kawasaki_______ ________.
6. Do you guys remember when Jude & Jody's store was a Safeway? That building burned and the building they are in now is the "New" one.

See ya next time:.......................

grantgeneral78
08-22-2008, 03:03 PM
You guys were reight, It cost 25 cents when they did our bicycles. My dad bought my bicycle from some "Junk Yard". He paid $1.00 for it then he bought two new tires and tubes another $4.00. He put it all together and it was so cool. No fenders a total Aluminum frame Pearson Leather seat (worn out) and longhorn handle bars. It was the big thing in the late 50's for all the "big" guys to name their cars so we started naming our bicycles and of course you had to write it on the frame. My bike was name "Minnie Troubles". Travel many, many a southside mile.

Hey, what about the Miniature golf course on 13th/14th and south Western...any one remember that one?
1. How about Van's auto Supply:....know where it was located Prunepicker?
2. Anyone remember the furniture store east of Capitol Hill high School on 36th st.?
4. How about Don Wallace's "Sidekick's" name? WKY 930 with Don Wallace &____?
5. Finish this Jingle and tell where the business was located...Kawasaki, kawasaki_______ ________.
6. Do you guys remember when Jude & Jody's store was a Safeway? That building burned and the building they are in now is the "New" one.

1. to answer for prunepicker....it was on agnew just south of 29th on the west side...I cant remember reds real name but the mixed paint for our body shop and also ran deliveries.
2.yes I remember the furniture store
6. had no idea

Generals64
08-22-2008, 03:53 PM
1. to answer for prunepicker....it was on agnew just south of 29th on the west side...I cant remember reds real name but the mixed paint for our body shop and also ran deliveries.
2.yes I remember the furniture store
6. had no idea

Wrong:....................Beep:..........Van's Auto Supply was on 29th street just west of Robinson:...Also, the Ice Cream used to be close to them. They were there for many years........Their main competition was Brittain Brothers....

1. Do you remember Evans Big Red Furniture and the "Jingle" they advertised with and where it was?

2. Here's one, on about 5th or 6th and Western (east side) there was a slaughter house and they ran the animals over the street in a covered walk way..It's still there.

3. I asked you about the drive-In on 29th by hoaglin's upholstery:...they turned it into a Donut shop called "Spudnuts". Do you remember that?.....

Martin
08-22-2008, 04:17 PM
2. here's one, on about 5th or 6th and western (east side) there was a slaughter house and they ran the animals over the street in a covered walk way..it's still there.

wow... i've always wondered what that was for. just seemed pointless to have an elevated crosswalk over a street that didn't get much traffic. makes sense now.

say... you'd probably know... did many houses have to get the axe when 240 was put in? was 74th an artery or was it just a small street on the edge of town? just curious how that whole area looked before the interstate.

-M

grantgeneral78
08-22-2008, 06:13 PM
[QUOTE=Generals64;163629]Wrong:....................Beep:..........Van's Auto Supply was on 29th street just west of Robinson:...Also, the Ice Cream used to be close to them. They were there for many years........Their main competition was Brittain Brothers....

Yea I remembered after I typed up but I thought what the heck, needed to ruffle some feathers!!haha

Ok general64 What was the appliance store on western and about 22nd. The one where the guy always cut the other guys tie off in the television commercial?

hogfan
08-22-2008, 07:22 PM
What a neat thread! I was an OKC "southsider" between 1973 and 1975. My father was the minister at the old Hillcrest Church of Christ on the corner of 59th and Villa. All these posts have brought back so many memories.

Nearly every Sunday we would go to the Dodson's Cafeteria at the corner of 59th and Penn to eat lunch with a huge group from church. Part of our routine was going to Crystal's every Wednesday afternoon for the buffet. It was such a cool place.

The big TG&Y on 74th was within walking distance of our home on SW 70th. The land across the interstate from TG&Y was a big empty field at that time and you could walk across the field to the pedestrian overpass. I remember riding my bike in that field for hours. Circus Time was near that same intersection (74th and Penn) and I remember the great Coke floats there.

Bobby and Kay Murcer lived right across the street from us, but they were rarely there as he was in his heyday with the Yankees. So sorry that he has left us.

Seems like I remember a theater at the corner of 44th and May. Does anyone remember the name? It was in a big shopping center with block walls painted white. I remember seeing a few movies there with my "first love."

The roller rink on Western holds a lot of memories. Wasn't there a miniature golf course right there on the same property?

Kiern's Drive-In was owned by some family friends. As a matter of fact, the son of the owner followed my family to Arkansas and was our youth minister back in the late 70's.

I had an uncle who lived in the apartment complex at 59th and May. We spent a lot of time there in the summers enjoying the pool.

Thanks for the stroll down memory lane!

Marty from Arkansas

SoonerDave
08-22-2008, 07:47 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I had heard that the congregation just literally gave up at Southwood church and it dwindled to nothing. That was an icon on the southside..hated to see it go.

I remember Minnie Pearl's but I don't remember where it was, it didn't last long at all however. I have a couple of more questions see if anyone can answer...Teri:...before your time.

1. On S.W. 29th st. there is (or was) an upholstery shop (Hoaglin's) for years and years...next door was a drive -In eating joint that eventually went out business. What did the next business sell and what was the name?

2. Doses anyone one remember the first McDonald's in OKC?....it was on 29th st. S.W. on the south side of the street not far from Economy Square. I was told today that the Roosevelt Jr. High Band played for the Grand Opening. That was in the fall of '61.....

See ya next time:....................

I can shed light on a few of those nuggets.

1. Minne Pearls opened up *several* locations in Oklahoma City in the early 70's, and I think Minnie Pearl was present at one of the openings, if not more. The first location I remember was literally down the street from where my grandmother lived, at SW 56th and Western, on the NW corner. The building itself still stands today, and is still in use as a business. I think at least one other former Pearl's location is still standing in OKC, on the north side of town. Its exact location escapes me at the moment.

The buildings were a bit unique for their flared 45-degree walls, and a giant picture of Minnie Pearl atop the sign. As noted, sadly, the chain didn't last very long.

2. Southwood, over the years, had a variety of differing problems, all of which over time had their own role in the church just not enduring. The biggest issue(s) over the last few years were the changes in the demographics around the area, combined with the aging population/membership of the church. I agree, that trailer-trash used-car lot that sits there now is an abomination. Absolutely ghastly. Rumor had it that 7-11 wanted to buy the property and build a store to compete with OnCue across the street, but when OnCue found out about it, they made a counter to keep 7-11 away. 7-11 backed out, and built their new store on Penn about a half-mile or so south.

Anyone remember the "original-style" Arby's Roast Beef store and neon ten-gallon-hat sign that used to stand just north of Southwood? Those neon hat signs are becoming national monuments....

3. McDonald's: Although I don't have any insight on the 29th street location, I can offer that the world's first McDonald's drive through was at the now-about-to-be-torn-down McDonald's at SW 59th and Penn. Looks like its going to be razed and rebuilt as one of the newer, hipper McD's we've seen pop up. They had a double-arch menu board, and you yelled your order into Ronald McDonald's pocket, then drove around a bunch of McDonaldland characters to the window where you picked up your order. They were test-marketing the concept here in OKC.

As for me, along Penn, my greatest nostalgic loss is Shakey's Pizza. At the ripe age of 43, I've never had a pepperoni pizza yet that tasted quite like a Shakey's pepperoni pizza....and it goes without saying I've never seen a blue-and-red-keyed player piano since those days, either :)

Prunepicker
08-22-2008, 07:51 PM
My bike was name "Minnie Troubles". Travel many, many a southside mile.

1A. Hey, what about the Miniature golf course on 13th/14th and south Western... any one remember that one?
1. How about Van's auto Supply:... know where it was located Prunepicker?
5. Finish this Jingle and tell where the business was located... Kawasaki, kawasaki_______ ________.
See ya next time:..

1A. Pitch and Putt? It had a 9 hole par 3, too. We played there several times.
1. No idea at the moment.
3 What's a library?
5. N.W. 10th & Council? House of Kawasaki.

Generals64
08-22-2008, 07:56 PM
1A. Pitch and Putt? It had a 9 hole par 3, too. We played there several times.
1. No idea at the moment.
3 What's a library?
5. N.W. 10th & Council? House of Kawasaki.

1. Van's was by the Ice cream store (capitol Hill) you said you stumbled upon with a date...,South side of 29th/about Robinson.

5. Kawasaki...Kawasaki...CYCLE WORLD.........58th/Shields.....Owner was Tommy Levine ...His family owned the Levine's store in Capitol Hill...Levi's and Wing tips....

See Ya next time:............

Prunepicker
08-22-2008, 07:58 PM
2. Anyone remember the "original-style" Arby's Roast Beef store and neon ten-gallon-hat sign that used to stand just north of Southwood? Those neon hat signs are becoming national monuments....

As for me, along Penn, my greatest nostalgic loss is Shakey's Pizza...

We ate at that Arby's. Next door was a Shaky's. All you could stand pizza, chicken and potatoes for $1.59.

Do you remember the "Ice Box, More Ice Box, Still More Ice Box"?

Generals64
08-22-2008, 08:03 PM
I can shed light on a few of those nuggets.

1. Minne Pearls opened up *several* locations in Oklahoma City in the early 70's, and I think Minnie Pearl was present at one of the openings, if not more. The first location I remember was literally down the street from where my grandmother lived, at SW 56th and Western, on the NW corner. The building itself still stands today, and is still in use as a business. I think at least one other former Pearl's location is still standing in OKC, on the north side of town. Its exact location escapes me at the moment.

The buildings were a bit unique for their flared 45-degree walls, and a giant picture of Minnie Pearl atop the sign. As noted, sadly, the chain didn't last very long.

2. Southwood, over the years, had a variety of differing problems, all of which over time had their own role in the church just not enduring. The biggest issue(s) over the last few years were the changes in the demographics around the area, combined with the aging population/membership of the church. I agree, that trailer-trash used-car lot that sits there now is an abomination. Absolutely ghastly. Rumor had it that 7-11 wanted to buy the property and build a store to compete with OnCue across the street, but when OnCue found out about it, they made a counter to keep 7-11 away. 7-11 backed out, and built their new store on Penn about a half-mile or so south.

Anyone remember the "original-style" Arby's Roast Beef store and neon ten-gallon-hat sign that used to stand just north of Southwood? Those neon hat signs are becoming national monuments....

3. McDonald's: Although I don't have any insight on the 29th street location, I can offer that the world's first McDonald's drive through was at the now-about-to-be-torn-down McDonald's at SW 59th and Penn. Looks like its going to be razed and rebuilt as one of the newer, hipper McD's we've seen pop up. They had a double-arch menu board, and you yelled your order into Ronald McDonald's pocket, then drove around a bunch of McDonaldland characters to the window where you picked up your order. They were test-marketing the concept here in OKC.

As for me, along Penn, my greatest nostalgic loss is Shakey's Pizza. At the ripe age of 43, I've never had a pepperoni pizza yet that tasted quite like a Shakey's pepperoni pizza....and it goes without saying I've never seen a blue-and-red-keyed player piano since those days, either :)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Shakey's Pizza Parlor was over on Western about where O'Reilley's Automotive is. I remember that they made you stand on top of the tables on your birthday. Their Pizz was great and so was the atmosphere. However, if you want the best Pizza since Sussy's closed down go to Purcell and eat at Jo's...They serve Pizza and soft drinks/tea etc. If you order a salad, they'll tell you this ain't no salad shoppe...It's worth the drive.

I remember when they built that McDonald's ...............Long time ago.........

See ya next time:..........................

Generals64
08-22-2008, 08:12 PM
[QUOTE=Generals64;163629]Wrong:....................Beep:..........Van's Auto Supply was on 29th street just west of Robinson:...Also, the Ice Cream used to be close to them. They were there for many years........Their main competition was Brittain Brothers....

Yea I remembered after I typed up but I thought what the heck, needed to ruffle some feathers!!haha

Ok general64 What was the appliance store on western and about 22nd. The one where the guy always cut the other guys tie off in the television commercial?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't remember that may have happened while I lived in TEXAS...If you don't know, let me know and I'll ask Jude at Jude & Jody's...I'm sure he'll know. I have started tyring to find Ed Cox.....You have me worrying about him ....He was a good guy.....

1. Do you remember Beck's Jewelry Store??
2. How about Mr. Buck's.....Napolean Nash???? ..there was a Napolean Nash store at 59th & Penn and then they just folded..They had about 8 - 10 stores. the last one was at 23rd/Meridian..Stacy Nash was a good guy....
3. Do you remember where the Sears store in Capitol HIll was located????
How about the OTASCO Store:????? Do you remember the 56 chevy at Rowland's Car lot that had two front ends? The car still exists in the OKC area, it is however kept garaged. My wife's class reunion borrowed from Rowland and used it for a prop....

TeriOKC
08-23-2008, 06:39 AM
Marty in Arkansas:

So glad you've joined us! The movie theatre you remember was the Almonte 6. I watched many a movie there. When it opened, it seemed like a real coup for the neighborhood (I lived about 6 blocks away). Felt like we'd "arrived".

Dodson's holds many a memory for me also! As a kid, for years I always ate the very same thing every Friday night with my parents: Veal cutlet, mashed potatoes and cream gravy, broccoli and cheese, corn, and a hot roll. And, remember those "oatmeal lace cookies" they sold in their bakery? I have a friend who knew the Dodson's and has their recipe.

We spents tons of time at Crystals - one of my favorite memories was noticing how the eyes of one of the old timey Victorian portraits looked. I insisted on getting closer, standing on a chair to get a closer look at why the eyes looked so strange. As I touched the picture, one of the sliced olives that someone stuck over the eyes fell off. :artist:

Martin
08-23-2008, 07:49 AM
my father was the minister at the old hillcrest church of christ on the corner of 59th and villa.
in the late 70's, hillcrest and southern oaks merged into one congregation, renamed itself oakcrest and met at 52nd and walker... i used to go there. that congegation later moved to 89th and mckinley. consequently, shields church of christ (64th and shields) moved into the former oakcrest building and started calling themselves south walker church of christ. i know a bunch of people from hillcrest.

seems like i remember a theater at the corner of 44th and may. does anyone remember the name? it was in a big shopping center with block walls painted white. i remember seeing a few movies there with my "first love."

the movie theatre you remember was the almonte 6. i watched many a movie there. when it opened, it seemed like a real coup for the neighborhood (i lived about 6 blocks away). felt like we'd "arrived".

i think you've got it mixed up, teri... almonte was on 59th and may. it was southpark that sat on 44th and may. the theatres are long gone, but both buildings are still standing.

-M