View Full Version : Southside OKC Memories....anyone?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 [49] 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58

CarltonsKeeper
03-30-2010, 05:26 PM
Alma and Jasper Nettle (the son's parents) bought Jewell Box Florist from Jewell Hamm in the 1950's. Jewell lived across the street from my parents!! She was a former Capitol Hill Florist employee who went out on her own and started in 1952 Jewell Box. I believe the Nettle's moved in the same year Grant Square opened which was 1958! Don't know exactly when they bought it. They moved like Gen/64 said in 1969 to 4205 S. Penn. In the mid seventies the son bought the business..
Correction: Talked to Jewell's daughter-in-law today (Lance West of channel 4 reporter's her husband) and she said Jewell DID NOT work for Capitol Hill Florist but retired from John A. Brown after 25 yrs service. Opened Jewell box in 58 or 59 in Grant Square and did not sell out til late 62 or 63!! After selling out she worked for La Rue's Florist.. Enough of all my ramblings..

gen70
04-03-2010, 10:04 AM
Does anyone remember Dollie's restaurant?

Prunepicker
04-03-2010, 10:19 AM
Does anyone remember Dollie's restaurant?
Can't say that I do, because I don't. Where was it and when?

gen70
04-03-2010, 11:00 AM
Can't say that I do, because I don't. Where was it and when? In the shopping center just s. of the Twilight Club.

CarltonsKeeper
04-03-2010, 11:29 AM
In the shopping center just s. of the Twilight Club.
They closed it down quite sometime ago!! Been a couple of restaurants since then!! I use to live in the Rafter's right where Dollie's was, and also dropped in the Twilight (which is still there) from time to time!! LOL

papaOU
04-03-2010, 11:46 AM
They closed it down quite sometime ago!! Been a couple of restaurants since then!! I use to live in the Rafter's right where Dollie's was, and also dropped in the Twilight (which is still there) from time to time!! LOL

Don't know Dollie's...........

Know the Twilight too well.............

SoonerGirl26
04-03-2010, 11:49 PM
Here's one for you:....Why did they make 36th st. a boulevard?....I don't know either.........

It was a decision by the City Planning Engineer in June 1929. It was decided that it would make a beautiful parkway for the city. With trees, a main drive, secondary drive and a bridal path. They called it a "double drive" and it did circle the city. I'll bring the article for you guys to read at the next meeting.

~~~

gen70
04-04-2010, 07:47 AM
They closed it down quite sometime ago!! Been a couple of restaurants since then!! I use to live in the Rafter's right where Dollie's was, and also dropped in the Twilight (which is still there) from time to time!! LOL Thanks, and I had forgotten about the Rafter's until your post.

Prunepicker
04-04-2010, 12:04 PM
It was a decision by the City Planning Engineer in June 1929. It was decided
that it would make a beautiful parkway for the city. With trees, a main drive,
secondary drive and a bridal path. They called it a "double drive" and it did
circle the city. I'll bring the article for you guys to read at the next meeting.
~~~
Was it called Grand Boulevard? I think it was.

papaOU
04-04-2010, 06:12 PM
Coit's on Western closed for Easter Sunday? What a concept......

CarltonsKeeper
04-05-2010, 02:23 PM
There was a Deep Rock Service station on the S.W. corner of S.W. 36th & Penn. Does anyone remember the Minature Golf Course next door to the West of the Deep Rock? It was in the mid to late fifties!!

gen70
04-05-2010, 02:41 PM
There was a Deep Rock Service station on the S.W. corner of S.W. 36th & Penn. Does anyone remember the Minature Golf Course next door to the West of the Deep Rock? It was in the mid to late fifties!! Sorry..CK, don't remember that one.

USG '60
04-05-2010, 03:17 PM
I don't either. I remember several on the southside back then but strangely I can only remember where one was and that was the one south of Evans' Electric south of the river on Western but I don't remember it's name. Where in the heck were the others? Let's make a list including names and locations.

osu cowboy
04-05-2010, 03:26 PM
I don't either. I remember several on the southside back then but strangely I can only remember where one was and that was the one south of Evans' Electric south of the river on Western but I don't remember it's name. Where in the heck were the others? Let's make a list including names and locations.

Was That one "Pitch and Putt" ?

Generals64
04-05-2010, 03:29 PM
There was a Deep Rock Service station on the S.W. corner of S.W. 36th & Penn. Does anyone remember the Minature Golf Course next door to the West of the Deep Rock? It was in the mid to late fifties!!

================================================== =========
wasn't there a small grocery store there also???I remember something being there because we would stop there when we would go to Brock Park...

CarltonsKeeper
04-05-2010, 03:32 PM
Sorry..CK, don't remember that one.
It was shut down by 1956 or 57!! I barely remember it being open. I was 9 yrs old in 56' and it was closed! I remember it being open earlier but what I remember most was this little shack where they kept their golf clubs! Some older kids took us over there and it was unlocked and everybody took home armsfull of golf clubs. What I remember most is my Mother making me take them straight back to where I got them!!!

CarltonsKeeper
04-05-2010, 03:36 PM
wasn't there a small grocery store there also???I remember something being there because we would stop there when we would go to Brock Park...
The store your talking about was on the N.W. corner and they sold us bacon to catch the crawdads at Brock Park, a would be convenience store, remember?

Prunepicker
04-05-2010, 04:37 PM
Coit's on Western closed for Easter Sunday? What a concept...
We were coming home from Church on Sunday and noticed that most of the
stores at the shopping center on S.W. 3rd & S. MacArthur were closed.

Yeah, what a concept.

sam greenroyd
04-06-2010, 02:32 PM
Must have been between the station and the old colonial club and i think i remember it

Generals64
04-06-2010, 02:35 PM
By the way, it was mentioned about a small mom & pop Grocery Store located west of Independence on S.W. 36th st.....Remembered it but curiosity made me go and see for sure if it was still there. And yes, it's still there but it's a Saw and knife Sharpening place..... No more grocery store....

corpsman
04-06-2010, 05:48 PM
Wife seems to think it's a blade sharpening business now, wants to know if you ever got far enough west to know Cootie's @ 37th & Portland.

By the way, it was mentioned about a small mom & pop Grocery Store located west of Independence on S.W. 36th st.....Remembered it but curiosity made me go and see for sure if it was still there. And yes, it's still there but it's a Saw and knife Sharpening place..... No more grocery store....

Wife says "woooohoooo,I was right!" BTW, did you notice the John Adams makeover?

Generals64
04-06-2010, 08:54 PM
Wife says "woooohoooo,I was right!" BTW, did you notice the John Adams makeover?
================================================== ========
Couldn't help but notice it...It is on a dead end from that Building to the South. I went to John Adams in the first grade. Got my first paddling there...in the first grade....Then on to the new elementary School Chester A. Arthur...They sent us to Herronville until the 2nd semester at Arthur. the building wasn't finished but when it was we were there. By the way...No buses and no one was tardy...or absent unless they were really sick.....Went by Arthur Today also...still looks the same.....got my 2nd through don't know how many "Paddlings" at Arthur......Carltonskeepers best friend was right there with me......

Hammondjam
04-07-2010, 05:40 AM
I'm new to this thread. Just found it. I'm a Grant graduate from '75 and I lived a stones throw from the Country Club Apartments(back when it was THE place to live for single folks). Used to go to the Across the Street restaurant for the long, curly fries and to the little Tastee Freeze place near where Southwest Ford used to be. On Saturday nights, my teenaged neighbor would haul me along with her to Grant Square for the dances in front of Woolworths. Thunder Creek was my playground all the way from Peen 44 Lanes to the turtle infested pond on Hillcrest Golf Course. Speaking of Penn 44, I went there not too long ago and treated myself to a grill burger. Still the greatest burger except for maybe the burgers at the old Rexhall Drug at 55th and Penn. I once got put on the hot seat by Joe Dodson when he found out I played piano and organ. Had to play a few songs in front of a packed Friday night crowd of "old folks" at the restaurant.

Sure glad I found this thread. Been reading some great memories!

sam greenroyd
04-07-2010, 08:03 AM
I'm new to this thread. Just found it. I'm a Grant graduate from '75 and I lived a stones throw from the Country Club Apartments(back when it was THE place to live for single folks). Used to go to the Across the Street restaurant for the long, curly fries and to the little Tastee Freeze place near where Southwest Ford used to be. On Saturday nights, my teenaged neighbor would haul me along with her to Grant Square for the dances in front of Woolworths. Thunder Creek was my playground all the way from Peen 44 Lanes to the turtle infested pond on Hillcrest Golf Course. Speaking of Penn 44, I went there not too long ago and treated myself to a grill burger. Still the greatest burger except for maybe the burgers at the old Rexhall Drug at 55th and Penn. I once got put on the hot seat by Joe Dodson when he found out I played piano and organ. Had to play a few songs in front of a packed Friday night crowd of "old folks" at the restaurant.

The Joe Dodson story was funny, I still see joe from time to time just seen him last week.

Generals64
04-07-2010, 08:27 AM
The Joe Dodson story was funny, I still see joe from time to time just seen him last week.
Is Joe (the Dad) still alive???..

sam greenroyd
04-08-2010, 01:38 PM
Is Joe (the Dad) still alive???..

still alive and doing fine, his wife is also still doing fine

Generals64
04-08-2010, 03:34 PM
still alive and doing fine, his wife is also still doing fine
================================================== ==========
I used to manage that TG&Y on 59th st. He was quite a guy.....I asked him one time for the secret recipe on his green beans.....He scratched his head and said we just squeeze lemon juice on each batch.....Try it.....it's great....

corpsman
04-08-2010, 07:28 PM
Seems like he had an ivy plant right next to the cash register. Used to ask little ones to touch it. Imagine their surprise when a nearby light would come on. Wife recollects as to how good their pies were.

Generals64
04-08-2010, 08:13 PM
Seems like he had an ivy plant right next to the cash register. Used to ask little ones to touch it. Imagine their surprise when a nearby light would come on. Wife recollects as to how good their pies were.
We would have shopping center meetings there once a month and the lady that baked those pies would serve each of the men managers of the stores with a 1/4 of the pie.....I too can remember how great they were....

CarltonsKeeper
04-08-2010, 08:27 PM
We would have shopping center meetings there once a month and the lady that baked those pies would serve each of the men managers of the stores with a 1/4 of the pie.....I too can remember how great they were....
How much of the pie did the women managers get? Surely TY&Y didn't discriminate did they? You realize Wal-Mart has women managers and the word is they get equal shares of the PIE!!!! LMAO

Hammondjam
04-09-2010, 05:22 AM
================================================== ==========
I used to manage that TG&Y on 59th st. He was quite a guy.....I asked him one time for the secret recipe on his green beans.....He scratched his head and said we just squeeze lemon juice on each batch.....Try it.....it's great....

I LOVED that TG&Y store. I was only four blocks and a parking lot away so it was a routine stop for Duncan Yoyo string and other necessities. I can't explain it but the windup, rubberband powered balsa wood airplanes that came from that store always flew better and seemed to take a hit better. I liked the Family Center location but the little Hillcrest "dime store" was my favorite.

Generals64
04-09-2010, 08:01 AM
How much of the pie did the women managers get? Surely TY&Y didn't discriminate did they? You realize Wal-Mart has women managers and the word is they get equal shares of the PIE!!!! LMAO

at that time of History, there were NO TG&Y women Managers....You were probably playing soldier on the week-ends then.....PLEASE DON'T HOLLER AT ME LADIES I DIDN'T DO IT..

Generals64
04-09-2010, 08:05 AM
I LOVED that TG&Y store. I was only four blocks and a parking lot away so it was a routine stop for Duncan Yoyo string and other necessities. I can't explain it but the windup, rubberband powered balsa wood airplanes that came from that store always flew better and seemed to take a hit better. I liked the Family Center location but the little Hillcrest "dime store" was my favorite.

Me too!!!!!! I was the first to "sweep" that big store before any fixtures were ever set. (Big Deal) But, my memories are embedded deeply on TG&Y....I always enjoyed the 59th st. store. We (TG&Y) started unloading freight on June 4th, 1964....I was working at the Airline Store and 74th st.....I got married on June 4th, 1966.....My father-in-law thought it was "Cute" to tell my wife that I got both my loves on June 4th......She reminded me of that many times when I would would work 60 plus hours per week.........

Hammondjam
04-10-2010, 07:04 AM
A manager at a former job of mine used to work at the TG&Y in Norman. He started out sweeping and cleaning windows but rose to the level of assistant manager. He loved that job. You can tell by the way his face changed when he talked about it. I never worked for the company but it must have been great for folks that were willing to work.

TeriOKC
04-10-2010, 07:54 AM

We probably have a lot of mutual friends, Hammond! My ex husband and his twin graduated with you in '75 and my current (and only other!) hubby graduated in '73.

TeriOKC
04-10-2010, 07:55 AM
================================================== ========
Couldn't help but notice it...It is on a dead end from that Building to the South. I went to John Adams in the first grade. Got my first paddling there...in the first grade....Then on to the new elementary School Chester A. Arthur...They sent us to Herronville until the 2nd semester at Arthur. the building wasn't finished but when it was we were there. By the way...No buses and no one was tardy...or absent unless they were really sick.....Went by Arthur Today also...still looks the same.....got my 2nd through don't know how many "Paddlings" at Arthur......Carltonskeepers best friend was right there with me......

I didn't realize you were a fellow "Arthurite", Gen.

CarltonsKeeper
04-10-2010, 09:00 AM
at that time of History, there were NO TG&Y women Managers....You were probably playing soldier on the week-ends then.....PLEASE DON'T HOLLER AT ME LADIES I DIDN'T DO IT..
Clinton, Bush and myself were "On Guard" protecting you and your family where you could go to TG&Y and count the fishies in the aquariums!! LMAO P.S. We didn't discriminate against women either!!

Hammondjam
04-10-2010, 10:09 AM
We probably have a lot of mutual friends, Hammond! My ex husband and his twin graduated with you in '75 and my current (and only other!) hubby graduated in '73.

Could be! I was somewhat of a loner during those days. Back in those days, there were the Jocks, the Soches(sp), the geeks and the freeks. I alternated between the latter two. Too skinny for football and too geeky for Student Council. I would sometimes hang out at lunch in one of the "soundproof" piano rooms on the southwest corner of the school and bang out some boogie woogie on occasion.

Generals64
04-10-2010, 03:55 PM
I didn't realize you were a fellow "Arthurite", Gen.
I went to Arthur with the first group of kids to go there. I was in the 2nd grade at the time. My Sister was a 5th grader and we (along with all the other kids) thought we owned that part of OKC. Did your sister (1963 Graduate) go to Arthur also? First principal was Mr. Lawter.....He was a bugler on the USS Oklahoma.....Wasn't on the ship when it was sunk...Then Mr. Hoggard then I was outta there.....The school hasn't changed a bit.....I can still remember "hitch hiking" up and down Independence to get to school or to the movies at Airline Shopping Center......Never a worry.....I'd have a stroke if one of my Grandsons tried that now.....

Prunepicker
04-15-2010, 12:12 AM
Hey Gen64, Stewart's Barbershop was on S. Blackwelder. Was it close to
Lafayette Drive or Chestnut Drive? I'm thinking it was just south of Lafayette
Drive, @ S.W. 49th.

gen70
04-15-2010, 06:44 AM
Hey Gen64, Stewart's Barbershop was on S. Blackwelder. Was it close to
Lafayette Drive or Chestnut Drive? I'm thinking it was just south of Lafayette
Drive, @ S.W. 49th. It was at corner of 51st and Blackwelder in a little bus. strip. Right across the street from the elementary school on the e. side of Blackwelder.

sam greenroyd
04-15-2010, 06:54 AM
It was at corner of 51st and Blackwelder in a little bus. strip. Right across the street from the elementary school on the e. side of Blackwelder.

Wasn't that where Rays BB-Q was ?

gen70
04-15-2010, 07:28 AM
Wasn't that where Rays BB-Q was ?

10-Roger..

Generals64
04-20-2010, 11:26 AM
Hey, this thread hasn't died yet....Trust me...there are more things to read to the newbies than they can ever imagine. Southside Memories??? I still remember going to the Northside for No reason at all...Just to say hey, we went to the Northside this evening....However, in my teenage years (prior to meeting the Love of my life) I did hang out at Bixler's...Maybe The Sugar Shak?? and tried to always go to the Tower theater....seemed to always have some good movies....Then, there was always Mr. Buck....Used to see the North Side kids (JM68) shopping at Buck's....All in all, we live in a pretty diverse Town..Right????...By the way anyone heard from Pennyquilts???? she moves back and then disappears.....

corpsman
04-20-2010, 11:29 AM
Hey, this thread hasn't died yet....Trust me...there are more things to read to the newbies than they can ever imagine. Southside Memories??? I still remember going to the Northside for No reason at all...Just to say hey, we went to the Northside this evening....However, in my teenage years (prior to meeting the Love of my life) I did hang out at Bixler's...Maybe The Sugar Shak?? and tried to always go to the Tower theater....seemed to always have some good movies....Then, there was always Mr. Buck....Used to see the North Side kids (JM68) shopping at Buck's....All in all, we live in a pretty diverse Town..Right????...By the way anyone heard from Pennyquilts???? she moves back and then disappears.....

Check out pets, current events for her

papaOU
04-20-2010, 01:12 PM

My parents taught us do remain in the civilized world......

South of Reno.....

USG '60
04-20-2010, 05:46 PM
Ol' Pen is busy solving the problems of the world. :doh:

Hammondjam
04-24-2010, 10:00 AM
Obviously, I am younger than a fair number of you guys and gals. I DO enjoy hearing the stories about southside when it was thriving. I am having a ball revisiting my early memories that have gotten a bit weak and faded.

NOT FORGETTING is the way a community stays intact!

Rickster
04-30-2010, 09:33 AM
Hello all.

gen70
04-30-2010, 09:36 AM
Hello all. Where ya been Rickster? Haven't seen you on the board in awhile.

SoonerGirl26
04-30-2010, 09:36 AM
Hello all.

Hey guy......where have you been????? We have missed you at Coit's!!!!!

~~~

papaOU
04-30-2010, 09:53 AM
Hey guy......where have you been????? We have missed you at Coit's!!!!!

~~~

Where did you get this "we" stuff?

Welcome back!

Rickster
04-30-2010, 11:27 AM
Got busy doin' house repairs and let this get away from me. Looking foward to the reunion next month in Capital Hill.

SoonerGirl26
04-30-2010, 02:51 PM
Where did you get this "we" stuff?

Welcome back!

Oh, come on papa, you know you missed him.... just like you miss me when I'm not there....teehee.....

~~~

papaOU
04-30-2010, 04:43 PM
Oh, come on papa, you know you missed him.... just like you miss me when I'm not there....teehee.....

~~~

I miss you daily......:kicking:

Stan Silliman
05-04-2010, 11:47 AM
Aware of the Rockin' Reunion festival in Capital Hill May 15-16th? Gonna happen and I'm performing in this puppy. I'll open for a future superstar: Kylie Morgan. Watch her video (http://www.kyliemorgan.com/video.html)

Does this thing deserve a separate thread?

RealJimbo
05-04-2010, 01:13 PM
Aware of the Rockin' Reunion festival in Capital Hill May 15-16th? Gonna happen and I'm performing in this puppy. I'll open for a future superstar: Kylie Morgan. Watch her video (http://www.kyliemorgan.com/video.html)

Kylie is part of our extended family. Her mom was quite a little performer in her younger days (she's still pretty young herself). We're all proud of her...really a good little performer.

SoonerGirl26
05-04-2010, 03:28 PM

I started a thread on this back in February... I'll bump it up to the top.

http://www.okctalk.com/nostalgia-memories/20712-capitol-hill-rockin-reunion-graduates-all-southside-high-schools.html

~~~

Stan Silliman
05-10-2010, 10:56 PM
Hey you guys, just came home from the land of "IKE".....Redskin, you're very right
about Jerry Fisher (class of '61). He made one album with Blood, Sweat and Tears....He owned a club in Bay St. Louis until Katrina blew it away he said he was taking the Insurance money and moving to Colorado...where I think he is now. I can't believe you knew Gayla.....You probably knew my sister also they were Grade School friends..."I want a Hippopotamus for Christmas". Chebon Dacon was one of the best QB Capitol Hill...C.B.Speegle was one of the top winning southside coaches especially in Capitol Hill's Dynasty years....Old Fair Grounds was where Douglass is now. I only remember going there a few times before they moved it (1957) to the present site and Oklahoma's Semi-Centennial. You know, we have quite a few people watching this Thread...Let's keep it going.....Do you remember Johnny Hughes????? One-hit Wonder (Johnny blues). Also, did you ever go to the Kiwanis Club Dances back in the 50's?

Let me know:.....Houston is a mess but, Galveston is no more...I bought 30,000 pounds of coffee and about 20,000 shirts. All of it is beginning to break lose down there....

See ya next time:...............

Jerry Fisher worked as shop foreman for Joe Wylie sheet metal in 1962.
Chebon Dacon will be at the Rockin' Reunion with his art in a tent

USG '60
05-11-2010, 06:41 AM
Fisher graduated with me in '60. There is a chance he will be at our reunion in 3 weeks. 50 big ones. :sofa: