View Full Version : Southside OKC Memories....anyone?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 [48] 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58

papaOU
03-01-2010, 04:14 PM
It's hard for me to think about ever going down Robinson and not going under that bridge.

And once under honking. My folks did it for me. I did it for my kids and grandkids.

CarltonsKeeper
03-02-2010, 02:33 PM
Went downtown today and checked out Robinson St. Bridge and underpass!! At first look you would think it's gone. Not trying to contradict you PaPa but it is still comletely in tact. In fact, you can (illegally) drive under it and turn around and drive back through it. You have to come down Robinson from the North, turn west on 6th and go 1 block, turn back south for 1 block and then drive straight East and your there, You do have to drive around 1 road block which everyone is doing!! Just thought I would pass that along in case anyone wants one more trip through!!

papaOU
03-02-2010, 05:23 PM
Went downtown today and checked out Robinson St. Bridge and underpass!! At first look you would think it's gone. Not trying to contradict you PaPa but it is still comletely in tact. In fact, you can (illegally) drive under it and turn around and drive back through it. You have to come down Robinson from the North, turn west on 6th and go 1 block, turn back south for 1 block and then drive straight East and your there, You do have to drive around 1 road block which everyone is doing!! Just thought I would pass that along in case anyone wants one more trip through!!

The view I had was from the Shields bridge. I was by there today and went to Robinson. You are correct.

TOWNHERO
03-02-2010, 07:32 PM
Reading about the Robinson street underpasss makes me said. Growing up I made many trips under that bridge. My father worked for a small trucking company in that area. It was by the post office. He drove a truck for them. When he would come in from a trip, he'd call and when I finally got my license, I'd drive down there to pick him up. I guess nothing ever stays the same.

papaOU
03-06-2010, 04:10 PM
Sitting at the light on 36th and South Walker, three young kids walked by carrying a five gallon bucket full of crushed aluminum cans. I am glad we had pop bottles. Wonder how many trips they have to make to see any money. Cans are cheap and items to buy are high

Generals64
03-06-2010, 04:48 PM
Sitting at the light on 36th and South Walker, three young kids walked by carrying a five gallon bucket full of crushed aluminum cans. I am glad we had pop bottles. Wonder how many trips they have to make to see any money. Cans are cheap and items to buy are high

================================================== ============================
It takes 34 cans to make a pound.....at 50 cents a pound you might have 1 and a half cents each.....pop bottles were 2 cents each and 25 cents for the case.....but, a Coke was a nickle.....so was a snickers Candy Bar.....Do you remember the little bottles of Grapette????? or a nickle Ice Cream??? I remember going into a small grocery store (convenience store now) and buying a box of peanuts (looked like B-B's) and getting some sort of change...most likely it was a penny but sometimes....you got a Dime.....Made you keep coming back.....Or how about an RC Cola with Peanuts in it????then a dash of Salt?...

Prunepicker
03-06-2010, 06:38 PM
It takes 34 cans to make a pound... at 50 cents a pound you might have 1
and a half cents each... pop bottles were 2 cents each and 25 cents for the
case... but, a Coke was a nickle... so was a snickers Candy Bar...

Or how about an RC Cola with Peanuts in it? then a dash of Salt?

Heck, a case of empty pop bottles, then found behind any 7-11 store, would
fetch 48 cents and later it'd bring 72 cents. A kid could be set up for days.

I remember the day I discovered peanuts in a coke. Behind a gas station car
wash. Wow! Prunette remembers an RC and a Moon Pie. But she was an
east-southeast-sider.

Generals64
03-06-2010, 07:48 PM
Heck, a case of empty pop bottles, then found behind any 7-11 store, would
fetch 48 cents and later it'd bring 72 cents. A kid could be set up for days.

I remember the day I discovered peanuts in a coke. Behind a gas station car
wash. Wow! Prunette remembers an RC and a Moon Pie. But she was an
east-southeast-sider.

================================================== ============
OMG, I forgot about Moon pies.....if you ever read Sam Walton's book he said that if he went into one of his stores and they were out of Moon Pies that the store manager's future could be at stake. The Moon Pie was (for a long time) the number one volume selling item in a Wal-Mart Store.
Remember the old Wax candy .... lips and then the one with the juice that was inside???? that stuff was some kind of nasty.....I think my favorite candy then was Chic-o-stick....then there was a penny candy called Kits I think..... or, how about the old Gum named Clove???? they only made that gum during a certain time of the year. I remember my grandfather planting a Sweet Gum Tree....I was very little but, I asked him what flavor it would be and he asked me what was my favorite?....juicy Fruit was my answer and lo and behold he told me that would be the flavor he had gotten..... The number one Candy item in TG&Y for years was Doublemint Gum....you know the Nickle pack of Chewing gum.....Old candies and old snacks....now, there's something to remember......

gen70
03-06-2010, 10:02 PM
Clove gum is the best.

Prunepicker
03-06-2010, 10:14 PM
... or, how about the old Gum named Clove? they only made that gum during
a certain time of the year.
Clove, Black Jack and Beeman's are made once a year. I'm not a gum chewer
but I like those and will buy a pack on occasion, especially Black Jack.

gen70
03-06-2010, 10:53 PM
Clove, Black Jack and Beeman's are made once a year. I'm not a gum chewer
but I like those and will buy a pack on occasion, especially Black Jack.
Prune....You are a gum chewer ...haa..ha.. I really liked the clove life savers.

Generals64
03-07-2010, 01:08 PM
Prune....You are a gum chewer ...haa..ha.. I really liked the clove life savers.

================================================== ============
Kinda liked Beeman's licorice myself....

papaOU
03-07-2010, 05:41 PM
================================================== ============================
It takes 34 cans to make a pound.....at 50 cents a pound you might have 1 and a half cents each.....pop bottles were 2 cents each and 25 cents for the case.....but, a Coke was a nickle.....so was a snickers Candy Bar.....Do you remember the little bottles of Grapette????? or a nickle Ice Cream??? I remember going into a small grocery store (convenience store now) and buying a box of peanuts (looked like B-B's) and getting some sort of change...most likely it was a penny but sometimes....you got a Dime.....Made you keep coming back.....Or how about an RC Cola with Peanuts in it????then a dash of Salt?...

put a bag of Toms peanuts into a bottle of Dr. Pepper (10-2-4)

papaOU
03-07-2010, 05:45 PM
my grandfather would share his horehound candy......

Generals64
03-08-2010, 07:38 AM
You know, even hot the old Bottled Soft Drinks were good. And you could shake them up and get a pretty good Spray on the person next to you.....I can remember thinking (as a child) a Pepsi must have been thought up to try and mock Coke and or then....an RC Cola......Duh!!!!....young age brilliance....I wonder if Pop's in Arcadia have any Grapette of if they even make it anymore...

Prunepicker
03-08-2010, 10:45 AM
... I wonder if Pop's in Arcadia have any Grapette of if they even make it anymore...
Grapette (http://www.grapette.com/) is still around!

papaOU
03-08-2010, 12:14 PM
Grapette (http://www.grapette.com/) is still around!

And Pop's has it.........

TOWNHERO
03-08-2010, 08:40 PM
I remember a little grocery store just west of Independence on, I want to say S.W. 36th, I lived on 37th, east of Independence, that I use to go to all the time. My brother and his friends use to make me ride my bike to the store and get 16 oz R.C. Colas for them. They'd pay for mine. Also, they had a great snack bar. Use to get their chili hot dogs.

Generals64
03-09-2010, 06:53 AM
I remember a little grocery store just west of Independence on, I want to say S.W. 36th, I lived on 37th, east of Independence, that I use to go to all the time. My brother and his friends use to make me ride my bike to the store and get 16 oz R.C. Colas for them. They'd pay for mine. Also, they had a great snack bar. Use to get their chili hot dogs.

================================================== ==============================
Forgot all about that store.....wasn't it located inside the neighborhood??? I want to think that 44 highway took over the location....yes or no???

Prunepicker
03-09-2010, 01:12 PM
Forgot all about that store... wasn't it located inside the neighborhood? I
want to think that 44 highway took over the location... yes or no?
I just looked at a Google map and the intersection is still there and I-44 goes
over it. Maybe the store is, too.

SoonerGirl26
03-10-2010, 09:26 PM
Is our next Coit's meeting on March 20 @ 1:30????? I'm recruiting again and want to make sure I tell people the right date.

~~~

SoonerGirl26
03-10-2010, 09:34 PM
Gee, I hate to hear that the already filled in the Robinson underpass. I should've went down there and taken some pictures before they did that. :-(

~~~

Prunepicker
03-10-2010, 09:35 PM
Is our next Coit's meeting on March 20 @ 1:30? I'm recruiting again and want
to make sure I tell people the right date.~~~
Sounds good to me. I hope to be there this time.

Let's post it and make it official!

papaOU
03-11-2010, 12:41 AM
Gee, I hate to hear that the already filled in the Robinson underpass. I should've went down there and taken some pictures before they did that. :-(

~~~

I was mistaken about it being filled in earlier. You might go down and see. I may run by there tomorrow.

Prunepicker
03-22-2010, 09:34 PM
Did anyone go to Rockwood Elementary?

papaOU
03-23-2010, 12:14 AM
I didn't, but my ex (1st ex) did......

Here is a site for some class pictures taken at Rockwood during 1958-1963

Don't know if they apply to you

http://chhs69.com/yRockwoody.htm

USG '60
03-23-2010, 06:16 AM
I didn't, but my ex (1st ex) did......

Here is a site for some class pictures taken at Rockwood during 1958-1963

Don't know if they apply to you

My Favorite Site 3 (http://chhs69.com/yRockwoody.htm)

Hey, wow, I got to see Birdy Word. That's cool.:congrats:

corpsman
03-23-2010, 11:04 AM
================================================== ==============================
Forgot all about that store.....wasn't it located inside the neighborhood??? I want to think that 44 highway took over the location....yes or no???

Wife seems to think it's a blade sharpening business now, wants to know if you ever got far enough west to know Cootie's @ 37th & Portland.

Generals64
03-23-2010, 11:29 AM
Wife seems to think it's a blade sharpening business now, wants to know if you ever got far enough west to know Cootie's @ 37th & Portland.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yep:............I'll leave it at that......

corpsman
03-23-2010, 12:15 PM
Ok

RealJimbo
03-24-2010, 01:27 PM
OK, if you know me, you know that I was born and raised north side (south of Britton), but I did live southside for a few years, too. 1968-1969 I worked for Little Jim's. I worked in all of their stores but one. They used me to clean them up, organize and get sales/profits in line then moved me to another store. I spent a couple months at the store on S. Central. Friends, I have hung around some rough neighborhoods...the one I grew up in was rough...but that was scary-rough. I made some friends there but there were some people I was just downright scared of and I ain't scared of anything...except my wife (I have to sleep sometime.).

One night, my friend's uncle ("Bob"), who was drunk - his usual condition - pulled his 1950 ford up and left it running. He put it in neutral and got out, but lost his balance and caught himself by grabbing the door. When he grabbed the door, it caused the car to roll backward which caused him to fall. When he fell, his legs went under the car and the car rolled back over his legs. I was watching him the whole time. He got up very slowly and wobbled into the store, falling from one aisle to another. He stepped up to the counter and asked for some Lucky Strikes. I sold them to him and he left, got back in the car and drove off. Next day he came back in the store, sort of sober. I asked him how he was doing and he said "my legs hurt something awful!!" He didn't remember a thing about running over himself.

papaOU
03-24-2010, 01:36 PM
OK, if you know me, you know that I was born and raised north side (south of Britton), but I did live southside for a few years, too. 1968-1969 I worked for Little Jim's. I worked in all of their stores but one. They used me to clean them up, organize and get sales/profits in line then moved me to another store. I spent a couple months at the store on S. Central. Friends, I have hung around some rough neighborhoods...the one I grew up in was rough...but that was scary-rough. I made some friends there but there were some people I was just downright scared of and I ain't scared of anything...except my wife (I have to sleep sometime.).

One night, my friend's uncle ("Bob"), who was drunk - his usual condition - pulled his 1950 ford up and left it running. He put it in neutral and got out, but lost his balance and caught himself by grabbing the door. When he grabbed the door, it caused the car to roll backward which caused him to fall. When he fell, his legs went under the car and the car rolled back over his legs. I was watching him the whole time. He got up very slowly and wobbled into the store, falling from one aisle to another. He stepped up to the counter and asked for some Lucky Strikes. I sold them to him and he left, got back in the car and drove off. Next day he came back in the store, sort of sober. I asked him how he was doing and he said "my legs hurt something awful!!" He didn't remember a thing about running over himself.

That area from Shields east, between 29th and Reno has always been rough. When I was growing up we never went past Shields. Went to CHJH and CHHS with a lot of guys from there and if you ever saw them in a fight they were always out for blood. They were not satisfied with beating a person up, they wanted to really hurt that person.
Many used to saw that things were rough in that area because the people were oilfield workers. Don't know.

Generals64
03-24-2010, 01:36 PM

================================================== ========
And you thought you were a South Sider.....Welcome to the Southside world...

gen70
03-24-2010, 01:37 PM
Now...that's funny.

papaOU
03-25-2010, 07:32 PM
I did not want to start another thread so I'll post here.

Anyone else been by Lee school lately? They are doing a massive add-on to the south side of the school.

Generals64
03-26-2010, 11:03 AM
I did not want to start another thread so I'll post here.

Anyone else been by Lee school lately? They are doing a massive add-on to the south side of the school.
================================================== =========
I saw that the other day, Lee has always been Kept up and then Herronville has had a face-lift also...they took most of the playground up...I also went by Arthur and it looks exactly like it did in 1958.....Which makes absolutely No sense.... Other than the Hispanic Art (Grafitti) on the building Roosevelt too looks like it did in 1960.... I don't know why the School Board doesn't build a few "Alternative" schools and send the kids that think they are so bad to them and let the kids that WANT to learn attend the regular schools;.....Now for the Soap Box...

My wife taught for one year at Seeworth Academy on N Kelly....Not in Edmond trust me.....Those kids had one choice....Do as the teacher tells you or go BACK to Jail.....It wasn't a wonderful place to be in but, they taught Life-learning skills......I'll never forget my wife staying late one day and taught some of the eighth grades boys how to pop Regular popcorn and how to make instant Mac and Cheese......Yep, these kids (in OKC) didn't know how to make Popcorn...Pop....w/o a microwave......That's probably something most of our kids will never do........The Principal Carried (and still does) a 9mm pistol and two sets of hand cuffs on him at ALL times.....

Generals64
03-26-2010, 02:11 PM
Does anyone remember when the Grant Square Shopping center was NOT there? If so, what was on the S.E. corner of 44th and Penn and what was it's claim to fame?????

papaOU
03-26-2010, 08:00 PM
Does anyone remember when the Grant Square Shopping center was NOT there? If so, what was on the S.E. corner of 44th and Penn and what was it's claim to fame?????

An abandoned cemetery converted to a landfill...

I'm sorry.

That stench carried by the south wind was/is Grant H.S.......:tiphat:

gen70
03-26-2010, 08:37 PM
Does anyone remember when the Grant Square Shopping center was NOT there? If so, what was on the S.E. corner of 44th and Penn and what was it's claim to fame????? I was born in 1952 and don't know but, you better tell us. I lived on 50th street straight across from U.S. Grant.

Prunepicker
03-27-2010, 12:23 AM
In 1387 the Norse took what we call the Mississippi River to the Arkansas
river. They settled about 30 miles south of Poteau, which is Norse for
'we're lost." During the period from 1387 to 1521 little is known about the
area we now call Grant Square. Archeologist have discovered several used
Viking Ship Shops that were intact. It's a fact that Thor Parks was
involved in many of the advertisements.

In 1729 Sal Renoir, a painter, bought the land and grew fruit trees to
paint. He was such a bad painter that he had to start selling the fruit from
the trees. Unfortunately the fruit was not capable of growing in Oklahoma
and he went broke. He sold the land to an animal veterinarian in 1751.
The vet bought the land because he was eccentric as well as stupid. To
make a long story longer, Horst Longmire, a Fuller Brush salesman, ended
up with the property in 1921. Nobody knows why but it's rumored that the
vet was incompetent and and spent what money he made playing Bingo at
the Y on S. Pennsylvania, but it wasn't called Pennsylvania at the time. It
was know as Beauregard Boulevard. Burt Schmier had a mail route on that
street that was originally started by Ben Franklin, not the statesman but
the idiot that didn't know what to do with the Woolworth stores he bought
in Chicago.

This led to a series of gang wars and tea parties. The gangs were known
as Knitting Clatches. Some became Quitting Bees. Know body knows what
became of the Tea Parties, except there is evidence that they didn't use
English tea. This was a crucial turning point because the Czechs that
moved in to the area from Korea started planting bodies in the area now
called S.W 44th street. They were hoping to populate that part of the city
but lack of watering and intelligence put a stop to that real fast.

I'll explain the rest of this in another post.

Prunepicker

Generals64
03-27-2010, 07:53 AM
In 1387 the Norse took what we call the Mississippi River to the Arkansas
river. They settled about 30 miles south of Poteau, which is Norse for
'we're lost." During the period from 1387 to 1521 little is known about the
area we now call Grant Square. Archeologist have discovered several used
Viking Ship Shops that were intact. It's a fact that Thor Parks was
involved in many of the advertisements.

In 1729 Sal Renoir, a painter, bought the land and grew fruit trees to
paint. He was such a bad painter that he had to start selling the fruit from
the trees. Unfortunately the fruit was not capable of growing in Oklahoma
and he went broke. He sold the land to an animal veterinarian in 1751.
The vet bought the land because he was eccentric as well as stupid. To
make a long story longer, Horst Longmire, a Fuller Brush salesman, ended
up with the property in 1921. Nobody knows why but it's rumored that the
vet was incompetent and and spent what money he made playing Bingo at
the Y on S. Pennsylvania, but it wasn't called Pennsylvania at the time. It
was know as Beauregard Boulevard. Burt Schmier had a mail route on that
street that was originally started by Ben Franklin, not the statesman but
the idiot that didn't know what to do with the Woolworth stores he bought
in Chicago.

This led to a series of gang wars and tea parties. The gangs were known
as Knitting Clatches. Some became Quitting Bees. Know body knows what
became of the Tea Parties, except there is evidence that they didn't use
English tea. This was a crucial turning point because the Czechs that
moved in to the area from Korea started planting bodies in the area now
called S.W 44th street. They were hoping to populate that part of the city
but lack of watering and intelligence put a stop to that real fast.

I'll explain the rest of this in another post.

Prunepicker

You have got to be totally out it....Grant Square was vacant except for a Texaco Station on the S.E. Corner of 44/Penn. One night a carload of Capitol Hill High School guys drove up and down Penn with a pistol shooting at the buildings......etc.......They got lucky and hit the outside Clock and shot the hands off of it. They got so excited they found a police officer and was bragging about how good of a shot they were. It was all over the newspapers and oh yeah the CHHS "Smart guys"....Went to Jail. The clock was there (minus the hands) until they tore the building down....

corpsman
03-27-2010, 08:48 AM
You have got to be totally out it....Grant Square was vacant except for a Texaco Station on the S.E. Corner of 44/Penn. One night a carload of Capitol Hill High School guys drove up and down Penn with a pistol shooting at the buildings......etc.......They got lucky and hit the outside Clock and shot the hands off of it. They got so excited they found a police officer and was bragging about how good of a shot they were. It was all over the newspapers and oh yeah the CHHS "Smart guys"....Went to Jail. The clock was there (minus the hands) until they tore the building down....

Now go easy on him General, he did do a gig with BLT last night.

Generals64
03-27-2010, 11:21 AM
Now go easy on him General, he did do a gig with BLT last night.

Yeah and tonight he has to put up with me.......Been waiting on this one.....

CarltonsKeeper
03-27-2010, 12:09 PM
Do you know what business originally occupied the land where Lee Way use to be???

Generals64
03-27-2010, 01:07 PM
Do you know what business originally occupied the land where Lee Way use to be???
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++No, I never thought about that.....what was there....Oh Yeah check your PM

corpsman
03-27-2010, 03:26 PM
Yeah and tonight he has to put up with me.......Been waiting on this one.....

Best of both worlds as it were

CarltonsKeeper
03-27-2010, 07:48 PM
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++No, I never thought about that.....what was there....Oh Yeah check your PM
The Oklahoma City Dump!!

Generals64
03-28-2010, 12:11 PM
The Oklahoma City Dump!!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Unreal:....I do know that as a kid my grandfather ran the dump over on South Portland. You know me....your Friend Danny and i would go out there and just dig until his mother found out what was going on....

Generals64
03-29-2010, 11:04 AM
Here's one for you:....Why did they make 36th st. a boulevard?....I don't know either.... Also, do you guys remember the Rancho Village Shopping Center???I remember there was a Variety store there for the longest time.....

CarltonsKeeper
03-29-2010, 12:09 PM
Here's one for you:....Why did they make 36th st. a boulevard?....I don't know either.... Also, do you guys remember the Rancho Village Shopping Center???I remember there was a Variety store there for the longest time.....
36th St (Grand Blvd) was originally designed to circle ALL of Oklahoma City!! If you remember, I went to Ranch Village Elementary for quite sometime. That was Hollie's Variety store!!!

Generals64
03-29-2010, 12:43 PM
36th St (Grand Blvd) was originally designed to circle ALL of Oklahoma City!! If you remember, I went to Ranch Village Elementary for quite sometime. That was Hollie's Variety store!!!

O.K....I know they weren't very friendly.....Did they have anything to do with Hollie's Drive Inn????

CarltonsKeeper
03-29-2010, 01:23 PM
O.K....I know they weren't very friendly.....Did they have anything to do with Hollie's Drive Inn????
They were not friendly at all, walked around and watched every move you made like you were a thief! Being that close to the school they probably did have a few theft problems. They were not connected with Hollie's Drive IN, they were both well up into their seventies when I was six or seven yrs old!!

Prunepicker
03-29-2010, 02:16 PM
Here's one for you... Why did they make 36th st. a boulevard? I don't know
either... Also, do you guys remember the Rancho Village Shopping Center? I
remember there was a Variety store there for the longest time...
It was Grand Boulevard and circled the city. Maybe it was an attempt to
be unique. Doug might know.

Yount's was the grocer in Rancho Village. We rarely went there. Knew the
butcher who was there a long time, Jerry Thompson.

sam greenroyd
03-29-2010, 03:49 PM

I remember the station now that you mention it, I worked at a DX station straight accross the street west

Generals64
03-29-2010, 04:08 PM
I remember the station now that you mention it, I worked at a DX station straight accross the street west

Yeah, then the McInnis Brothers put in a doctor's office and a Pharmacy in that stations place.....I want to say the area was empty in 1957 but in 59 (my eighth grade year) we use to go to a hamburger joint there for lunch and the Jewel Box Florist had just begun.....

sam greenroyd
03-30-2010, 06:53 AM
Yeah, then the McInnis Brothers put in a doctor's office and a Pharmacy in that stations place.....I want to say the area was empty in 1957 but in 59 (my eighth grade year) we use to go to a hamburger joint there for lunch and the Jewel Box Florist had just begun.....
When did jewel box move just north of there by J & I Hitch ??????????

Generals64
03-30-2010, 11:39 AM
When did jewel box move just north of there by J & I Hitch ??????????
Late 60's early 70's...the lady that owns it son and I went to school together. She told me and some other kids one day that she opened the shop so her kids would have the extras for Jr. High and Sr. High.....That was in the late 50's...Like 1959....She was a sweetheart....

CarltonsKeeper
03-30-2010, 03:54 PM
Late 60's early 70's...the lady that owns it son and I went to school together. She told me and some other kids one day that she opened the shop so her kids would have the extras for Jr. High and Sr. High.....That was in the late 50's...Like 1959....She was a sweetheart....
Alma and Jasper Nettle (the son's parents) bought Jewell Box Florist from Jewell Hamm in the 1950's. Jewell lived across the street from my parents!! She was a former Capitol Hill Florist employee who went out on her own and started in 1952 Jewell Box. I believe the Nettle's moved in the same year Grant Square opened which was 1958! Don't know exactly when they bought it. They moved like Gen/64 said in 1969 to 4205 S. Penn. In the mid seventies the son bought the business..

sam greenroyd
03-30-2010, 04:22 PM

Her daughter was easy on the eyes too...........

gen70
03-30-2010, 04:54 PM
Her daughter was easy on the eyes too........... So true......