View Full Version : Southside OKC Memories....anyone?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 [45] 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58

Generals64
01-04-2010, 03:17 PM
My mother was the manager at Potter's when you guys were "Cruisin" back in your days....Bobby ran off the Curb one night and got High-Center....My Mom told me about it and I almost sick thinking she meant he had totaled that car out.....Next day at school there she sat.....(the Car did)

jellen
01-04-2010, 03:52 PM
I thought the Southeast crowd hung out at 'The Spot' on Western?
Spartans was we Spartans hangout. The (Hamburger) Spot was CHHS's hangout.

jellen
01-04-2010, 03:55 PM
Whoops, haven't done this in a long time and that answer went in the wrong place.

Generals64
01-04-2010, 06:01 PM
Spartans was we Spartans hangout. The (Hamburger) Spot was CHHS's hangout.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Where have you been Girl????We've missed your smiling face around here....

grantgeneral78
01-04-2010, 06:05 PM
A 1969 Ford fastback Torino Red on Red with the cool white stripe, the big ole 390 was fast as lightning! But of course I had left off my bike not soon before I got the car....and shhhh was driving around the city at 15.

Generals64
01-04-2010, 06:45 PM
Mine never got any cool pin stripes like the REALLY cool cars. Bobby's was minimal and tasteful. JUST the right amount. The front of his frame was an inch off the ground. Sparks flew and some dips he simply HAD to avoid. Dips in the road, silly, not THAT kind of dips. :LolLolLol

================================================== ===========
Saw Johnny Overbay the other day.....There is a fabricator.....He was some kind of good and still is.....He was a year or two younger that you are.....

SoonerGirl26
01-08-2010, 02:53 PM
I just made a post on Facebook for other people who grew up in south OKC to come to this site and read our posts. Maybe get some "new blood" on here with new memories!!

~~~

Generals64
01-08-2010, 03:05 PM
I just made a post on Facebook for other people who grew up in south OKC to come to this site and read our posts. Maybe get some "new blood" on here with new memories!!

~~~
================================================== ============
Thanks:...........I just hung up the telephone from ordering a wreath for you....We miss you girl.....You're the only one that keeps this place organized....
Jellen was by the other day....think she's lost again though....Now, what's "Facebook"???

SoonerGirl26
01-08-2010, 03:18 PM
================================================== ============
Thanks:...........I just hung up the telephone from ordering a wreath for you....We miss you girl.....You're the only one that keeps this place organized....
Jellen was by the other day....think she's lost again though....Now, what's "Facebook"???

LOL!! I told you.... I have drained my brain and shared all the memories that I have on here!! But now that I've forgotten some of them, I could re-post them and since you are older you won't even remember that they are re-hashes!!!! Just kidding.....

Facebook is a social network that everyone is on nowdays.... besides you I guess. LOL!!! Even ole Prunepicker is on it.

~~~

Generals64
01-08-2010, 03:24 PM
Shoot, I just figured this one out. Just let us know every now and then that you are O.K. I started to send out the dogs but they told me it was too cold....Re-Post.....Tell us about YOUR episodes in the Twilight Zone.....

USG '60
01-08-2010, 06:30 PM
Saw Johnny Overbay the other day.....There is a fabricator.....He was some kind of good and still is.....He was a year or two younger that you are.....

Did you see him out at his shop on Reno? I used to tell him that his last name was really Bover and that it was put on his birth certificate in dog latin.

TeriOKC
01-09-2010, 10:18 PM
Hey, I'm still here. We just returned from Tucson visiting our daughter...wish I was still there. Came back to 18 degree weather...sheesh!

Is there a Facebook page for our little group?

Prunepicker
01-09-2010, 10:54 PM
Is there a Facebook page for our little group?
Not unless YOU started it.

To tell the truth, I don't think you really exist. You created this site as a
plot to drive southsiders out of their feeble minds.

This is nothing more than a CIA led conspiracy to drain the memories of
southsiders. Coit's must be involved. In fact Coit's is probably the meeting
place of all the high level northsiders.

Is northsider even a word? It's a northside conspiracy!

The plan has been exposed! Viva Prunepicker! I've just begun to gripe!
Damn the hotdogs! Full steam ahead! Extra chili! Extra mustard! More
fries and less tots!

Refill-o-lito! Mui bel grande!

papaOU
01-09-2010, 11:55 PM
Not unless YOU started it.

To tell the truth, I don't think you really exist. You created this site as a
plot to drive southsiders out of their feeble minds.

This is nothing more than a CIA led conspiracy to drain the memories of
southsiders. Coit's must be involved. In fact Coit's is probably the meeting
place of all the high level northsiders.

Is northsider even a word? It's a northside conspiracy!

The plan has been exposed! Viva Prunepicker! I've just begun to gripe!
Damn the hotdogs! Full steam ahead! Extra chili! Extra mustard! More
fries and less tots!

Refill-o-lito! Mui bel grande!

Did you get some of '64s meds?

Share!!!!

Generals64
01-10-2010, 12:52 PM
Whoa:....TeriOKC:....We ALL Love you....Prunepicker is really busy rebuilding a car and PapaOu is just from Capitol Hill...However, I'll buy your lunch at Coit's if you'll come...Bring your Grant Sisters and share. We have a dentist on Call in case something happens to you and your braces....Hope to see you this week....Generals64.....

grantgeneral78
01-10-2010, 02:26 PM
Picker better hope Teri does not crown him with a BASS!

dogw00d
01-12-2010, 05:58 PM
seems like everyone on this feed is too young for me...Where are the oldtimers? I lived at 44 an s May.. wheat fields, Rolands dairy.. Jackson jr hi. an yes capital hill.. bus only ran to 29th an may. Packing town!!! real cowboys, we went ot some of the wrestling matches there, Gorgerus George, loved his Cad, pink ... lol swimming in pond at about 59 an Portland an another out on 59th between portland an dang I too old can't remember the street name....

Prunepicker
01-12-2010, 07:44 PM
seems like everyone on this feed is too young for me... Where are the
oldtimers? I lived at 44 an s May.. wheat fields, Roland's dairy. Jackson Jr
hi. an yes capital hill. bus only ran to 29th an may. Packing town! real
cowboys, we went to some of the wrestling matches there, Gorgeous
George, loved his Cad, pink... lol swimming in pond at about 59 an Portland
an another out on 59th between Portland an dang I too old can't remember
the street name...

Young? When I went to Grant we didn't have buses. A covered wagon
came around on Monday mornings around 3am and picked us up for school.
We came home at sundown on Friday, unless there was detention. I
remember when Henry Ford was in grade school. Smart alec know it all.

Were you drafted in the Union or Confederacy? Watch how you answer!

TOWNHERO
01-13-2010, 07:03 AM
seems like everyone on this feed is too young for me...Where are the oldtimers? I lived at 44 an s May.. wheat fields, Rolands dairy.. Jackson jr hi. an yes capital hill.. bus only ran to 29th an may. Packing town!!! real cowboys, we went ot some of the wrestling matches there, Gorgerus George, loved his Cad, pink ... lol swimming in pond at about 59 an Portland an another out on 59th between portland an dang I too old can't remember the street name....

I grew up living on S.W 37th between May and Independence, first street south of Woodson Park. I remember when Woodson Park was a golf course. I went to school with Linda Rowland and remember the diary. Use to walk over to her house to visit her. I think it was the 7th grade maybe the 8th. I had the biggest crush on her. Is the farm still there? I haven't been over to the southside in over 5 years. But she went to CHHS and graduated in 1970 with me. Didn't she have a younger sister? I also remember her father or uncle had a used car dealorship on Western or Walker just north of 29th. I think it was Fred Jones that had a used car dealorship just off of 25th. Now that I think of it, it had to be Walker. I think I have some old Rosevelt Jr High yearbooks in my attic. I'll try to crawl up there this weekend and see if I can find them. I don't post a lot here, but I just thought it was kind of funny that seeing the Rowland diary in this post started me remembering her and the place.

Generals64
01-13-2010, 07:30 AM
Two mere children. The Rowland farm is still there...Not quite as large as it used to be. Yes, it was the Grandfather that owned Rowland Motors...had the '56 Chevy with two front ends. Her brother or cousin Gary still has the car...saw it not too long ago. Don't remember any wheat fields in that area but do remember a lot of Sunflowers.....When we first moved into that area. Mayridge Shopping center was just a mere thought. As kids, we helped level the Military Barracks that Mayridge Baptist Church was originally built from. Went to some of the Wrestling matches at packing town...Saw Gorgeous George once down there. My mom got one of his Hair pins he used to throw out. Real cowboys yes and the pond you are referring to was called "West Pond". tried Ice skating on it once.....learn how to Ice Swim that day....Glad some "Newbies" with memories have joined the "Gang".....

Prunepicker
01-13-2010, 11:51 AM
I went to school with Linda Rowland and remember the diary. Use to walk
over to her house to visit her... Didn't she have a younger sister?
I remember a Debbie Rowland, but she went to Jefferson, Jr. High.

I also remember her father or uncle had a used car dealorship on Western
or Walker just north of 29th. I think it was Fred Jones that had a used car
dealorship just off of 25th. Now that I think of it, it had to be Walker.

There was a Rowland's used car dealer on S. Walker. He had a car with 2
front ends. A '57 Chevy? It's been mentioned on this thread.

There was a Fred Jones used car dealer but I don't think that place was
the Fred Jones we all know. His name was also Fred Jones. He lives/lived in
Edmond on Danforth Road.

Prunepicker
01-13-2010, 11:55 AM
The Rowland farm is still there... Not quite as large as it used to be... Don't
remember any wheat fields in that area but do remember a lot of
Sunflowers...
Do you remember the Rowland's Used Car sign on the corner of S.W. 44th and
S. May Ave, where the farm was? There were almost always 3 horses
standing in front of it at any given time.

Generals64
01-13-2010, 12:10 PM

================================================== =============
Those horses weren't real.....the car was a '56 and Gary Rowland (Grandson) has it now. Have a question to see if any of these true Southsiders can answer....Where did the name (Airline Shopping center/Airline Motel) originate and why????? Very simple question. I didn't know the answer until today when The Village Idiot told me....Wonder where the other shopping centers got their names????Reding:.......Reding Family farm????Don't know.....Anybody out there???? Hey Prunepicker when you get a chance go to Taxidermyking.com....there are some old southsiders pictures there.....

papaOU
01-13-2010, 12:32 PM
We knew the "old man" Rowland for many years. Growing up just off 26th and Lee and my grandmother had the little greasy spoon on the corner of 26th and Walker. After he "retired" he would come to the dealership and spend the day in the office. No cars on the lot but he was there all the same. He died not too long ago. Well, maybe 3 or more years ago. Almost all thought and memories are of "not that long ago"

Prunepicker
01-13-2010, 12:34 PM
Those horses weren't real...
You're nutz! They had hair and everything.

Generals64
01-13-2010, 02:14 PM
You're nutz! They had hair and everything.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++
I'm just seeing if you are paying attention.......You didn't answer the Airline Question did you?????

CarltonsKeeper
01-13-2010, 06:54 PM
Two mere children. The Rowland farm is still there...Not quite as large as it used to be. Yes, it was the Grandfather that owned Rowland Motors...had the '56 Chevy with two front ends. Her brother or cousin Gary still has the car...saw it not too long ago. Don't remember any wheat fields in that area but do remember a lot of Sunflowers.....When we first moved into that area. Mayridge Shopping center was just a mere thought. As kids, we helped level the Military Barracks that Mayridge Baptist Church was originally built from. Went to some of the Wrestling matches at packing town...Saw Gorgeous George once down there. My mom got one of his Hair pins he used to throw out. Real cowboys yes and the pond you are referring to was called "West Pond". tried Ice skating on it once.....learn how to Ice Swim that day....Glad some "Newbies" with memories have joined the "Gang".....
Those were "Gold" HAIR PENS!! Only in color, but George claimed they were real!!

Prunepicker
01-13-2010, 10:15 PM
I'm just seeing if you are paying attention... You didn't answer the Airline
Question did you?
The Airline Shopping center was named because Howard Hughes bought the
property and was really into airplanes. Well, he didn't like the property and
decided to sell it to a relative of this mailman that had a sister in law who
lived in St. Paul. Not really in St. Paul but that's the closest big town I can
think of. She had this recipe for snickerdoodles that was amazing. As the
saying goes, luck would have it that she entered them in the Anoka county
fair. One of the judges was scheduled to be a taster for the cookie
entries. He got his hand stuck in a fire grate and couldn't make it...

Prunepicker
01-13-2010, 10:17 PM
Those were "Gold" HAIR PENS! Only in color, but George claimed they were
real!
Liar! They were real!

grantgeneral78
01-14-2010, 06:05 AM

-Wow what a story.

papaOU
01-14-2010, 11:24 AM

Those horses were real. They also had several gold pins from Gorgeous George.

Tall Girl
01-15-2010, 06:57 PM

Airline story brought tears to my eyes. Laughing. My old stomping grounds from 1956 when I was about 11 or 12. Chieftan theater, TG&Y, OTASCO, Humpty Dumpty, Dentist Dr. Schmidt was on the west end and he would give a prescription for a free ice cream cone at Leon Conley's pharmacy - a walk to the East end. Seems like Conleys was at the back of OTASCO or one of the other stores. Anybody remember where?

Prunepicker
01-15-2010, 07:42 PM
... Chieftan theater, TG&Y, OTASCO, Humpty Dumpty, Dentist Dr. Schmidt
was on the west end and he would give a prescription for a free ice cream
cone at Leon Conley's pharmacy...
The Chieftan is the theater I was trying to remember.

Tall Girl
01-15-2010, 09:25 PM
Airline story brought tears to my eyes. Laughing. My old stomping grounds from 1956 when I was about 11 or 12. Chieftan theater, TG&Y, OTASCO, Humpty Dumpty, Dentist Dr. Schmidt was on the west end and he would give a prescription for a free ice cream cone at Leon Conley's pharmacy - a walk to the East end. Seems like Conleys was at the back of OTASCO or one of the other stores. Anybody remember where?

There was a soda fountain with bar stools located where ever Conley's was, must have been a drug store there too. I doubt if it was in OTASCO.

Generals64
01-16-2010, 10:21 AM
Conley's was located next door to the Donut Shop (which was west of Otasco).

Now, Airline Shopping center and the Airline Motel were named Airline since they were so close to the small air strip located in the Woodson Park area...

Generals64
01-16-2010, 10:27 AM
There was a soda fountain with bar stools located where ever Conley's was, must have been a drug store there too. I doubt if it was in OTASCO.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Conley's was one of Veazey's first stores........Otasco was on the far end, then there was a Donut Shop, (going west) then the drug store.....then Humpty Dumpty,....then TG&Y with a breezeway between the two,.....Then C.R. Anthony's....Then there was a small store (can't remember there) then Beck's Jewelry ,....then The Chieftain Theater.....Then a store on the very end and there were a couple of other offices....One of them being a dentist office.....Mean guy ....Ice Cream or not....did not like him....

the Airline TG&Y was at one time one of the best TG&Y stores in the company until Reding (1956) Opened....Then the battle was between those two stores with Capitol Hill staying right with them....

papaOU
01-16-2010, 03:44 PM
Conley's was located next door to the Donut Shop (which was west of Otasco).

Now, Airline Shopping center and the Airline Motel were named Airline since they were so close to the small air strip located in the Woodson Park area...

If I am not mistaken (hardly ever) the okc airport was at 29th and may originally.
Wish I could remember where the article was, but I asked my dad about it he concurred. That man has made one mistake in his entire life:me

USG '60
01-16-2010, 03:51 PM
If I am not mistaken (hardly ever) the okc airport was at 29th and may originally.
Wish I could remember where the article was, but I asked my dad about it he concurred. That man has made one mistake in his entire life:me

Where the park is, wouldn't you imagine?

Generals64
01-16-2010, 04:10 PM
Where the park is, wouldn't you imagine?

================================================== =================
iT WAS RIGHT IN THERE BY THE PARK LOCATION.....

Prunepicker
01-16-2010, 06:47 PM
Conley's was located next door to the Donut Shop (which was west of
Otasco).

Now, Airline Shopping center and the Airline Motel were named Airline since
they were so close to the small air strip located in the Woodson Park area...

We rarely went to the Airline Shopping Center. The Chieftan, that Tall Girl
refreshed in my brain, was the main reason we went there. It was either
Capitol Hill or the Chieftan. Or was it the Chieftain? I think it was
Chieftain.

Does anyone remember the motel on the property just east of the center?
Spent a week there one night. A bunch of us got the room and were
partying to beat Ol' Ned. About 1am, while we were at our loudest, there
were red and blue lights flashing. Being good southsiders we all panicked
and tried to hide the beer and other products under the mattresses.

The light came from the fire truck across the street. They'd just returned
from a run. Oh to have that on film.

Prunepicker
01-16-2010, 06:51 PM
Who remembers the Airline Drive-In theater? We'd get there early in order to
get of the 1/2 dozen speakers that worked.

gen70
01-16-2010, 07:12 PM
get of the 1/2 dozen speakers that worked. I remember it. Oh..yeah I had an incident at the mentioned Motel but, will not share that info..

Generals64
01-16-2010, 08:18 PM
We rarely went to the Airline Shopping Center. The Chieftan, that Tall Girl
refreshed in my brain, was the main reason we went there. It was either
Capitol Hill or the Chieftan. Or was it the Chieftain? I think it was
Chieftain.

Does anyone remember the motel on the property just east of the center?
Spent a week there one night. A bunch of us got the room and were
partying to beat Ol' Ned. About 1am, while we were at our loudest, there
were red and blue lights flashing. Being good southsiders we all panicked
and tried to hide the beer and other products under the mattresses.

The light came from the fire truck across the street. They'd just returned
from a run. Oh to have that on film.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++++++++
I worked at the TG&Y in that Center for a long time.....That Motel you were talking about has had quite a few "Murders" or deaths which ever came first....it did though have a good name for a while.....

papaOU
01-16-2010, 08:34 PM
get of the 1/2 dozen speakers that worked.

A group of us went there several nights in a row to watch Woodstock. We got in the right frame of mind before, during, and for years after......

gen70
01-16-2010, 09:17 PM
A group of us went there several nights in a row to watch Woodstock. We got in the right frame of mind before, during, and for years after...... I don't remember where I saw Woodstock at but, there ya go... it was the time.

Generals64
01-17-2010, 01:11 PM
I remember the Airline Theater in it's hey day....All of the speakers worked, the playground area was top notch the snack bar was really fun and safe to go to....Can remember the Carload weekly special...All you can get in a car for $2.00. My mother and the other women would pop huge grocery store sacks of popcorn...make Kool-Aid and load up every kid in the neighborhood. $2.00 worth of gas and $2.00 entry tickets....about 18 people would end up going...Trunk would be full of kids....What a time to live....

USG '60
01-17-2010, 02:42 PM
I remember the Airline Theater in it's hey day....All of the speakers worked, the playground area was top notch the snack bar was really fun and safe to go to....Can remember the Carload weekly special...All you can get in a car for $2.00. My mother and the other women would pop huge grocery store sacks of popcorn...make Kool-Aid and load up every kid in the neighborhood. $2.00 worth of gas and $2.00 entry tickets....about 18 people would end up going...Trunk would be full of kids....What a time to live....

To use 2 bucks worth of gas you would had to burn up about 8 gals. How far did ya'll live from the Airline? Did you drive from Tulsa? :)

Generals64
01-17-2010, 04:13 PM
To use 2 bucks worth of gas you would had to burn up about 8 gals. How far did ya'll live from the Airline? Did you drive from Tulsa? :)
No, but that was the "Rule"...whoever's car was used they all pitched in for $2.00 in Gas........my mom was always willing to take our old '46 Ford....and you're right, $2.00 would go a long way for the rest of the week. But now think about it, you could get 2 cents for a pop bottle back then and the kids were willing to come up with the Pop Bottles....No telling where they got them...or how....and whoever had the most pop bottles didn't have to ride in the trunk......Never could figure out why the older kids wanted to ride in the trunk?????

USG '60
01-17-2010, 04:27 PM
No, but that was the "Rule"...whoever's car was used they all pitched in for $2.00 in Gas........my mom was always willing to take our old '46 Ford....and you're right, $2.00 would go a long way for the rest of the week. But now think about it, you could get 2 cents for a pop bottle back then and the kids were willing to come up with the Pop Bottles....No telling where they got them...or how....and whoever had the most pop bottles didn't have to ride in the trunk......Never could figure out why the older kids wanted to ride in the trunk?????

I would take my old Studebaker to the Drive-in "all by myself." Once I got in and got as far out of view as possible, I would pull down the back of the back seat and out would come 4-6 of my friends. It is shocking how many teenaged boys could fit in there.

Prunepicker
01-17-2010, 09:38 PM
I remember it. Oh..yeah I had an incident at the mentioned Motel but, will not
share that info...
Just a minute! We had a huge accident! 1972ish. I'll bet you were at the
party!

Let the rumors begin!

Prunepicker
01-17-2010, 09:42 PM
I worked at the TG&Y in that Center for a long time... That Motel you were
talking about has had quite a few "Murders" or deaths which ever came
first... it did though have a good name for a while...
I remember an accidental death. As far as I can remember it wasn't me.

Prunepicker
01-17-2010, 09:55 PM
I don't remember where I saw Woodstock at but, there ya go... it was the
time.
The first time I saw Woodstock was in a muddy field in New York in August of
1969. I thought the movie would never end.

papaOU
01-17-2010, 11:12 PM
The first time I saw Woodstock was in a muddy field in New York in August of
1969. I thought the movie would never end.

Does that make you a member of the Woodstock Nation?

Prunepicker
01-17-2010, 11:59 PM
Does that make you a member of the Woodstock Nation?
I don't have a card or anything. But there were some really bad acts.
I mean really bad.

papaOU
01-20-2010, 12:10 AM
I have a new memory that I am sure will remain with me until I die.

My car got shot up Monday night. Drive by. Target is next door to me. Shooters pulled too far forward so the shots were hitting my car. 9mm. 3 into and through the roof, 2 into the windshield. They were so close that the 2 in the windshield made perfect holes in a tight pattern and did not shatter the glass. My passenger back door was shattered by one that went through. Head liner has holes from the slugs going through the top of the car.

Two shots passed through my car and hit the intendeds car.

Can't have a fistfight anymore. People want to kill one another....

My family moved into Capitol Hill during WWII so it's MY neighborhood. I aint' leavin'

grantgeneral78
01-20-2010, 05:15 AM
I have a new memory that I am sure will remain with me until I die.

My car got shot up Monday night. Drive by. Target is next door to me. Shooters pulled too far forward so the shots were hitting my car. 9mm. 3 into and through the roof, 2 into the windshield. They were so close that the 2 in the windshield made perfect holes in a tight pattern and did not shatter the glass. My passenger back door was shattered by one that went through. Head liner has holes from the slugs going through the top of the car.

Two shots passed through my car and hit the intendeds car.

Can't have a fistfight anymore. People want to kill one another....

My family moved into Capitol Hill during WWII so it's MY neighborhood. I aint' leavin'

Good god PAPA I am glad your ok that could have been worse. These losers doing these shootings just need to be put away for life and give them time to think about what they have done!

We are living in some sad times.

gen70
01-20-2010, 11:39 AM
Scary stuff, papaOU. Did you call the police?

papaOU
01-20-2010, 11:42 AM
Scary stuff, papaOU. Did you call the police?

Yes and there were police units all over the place.....

The damage to my car is so extensive (3 shots into and through the top of the car-need new windshield and back passenger door window)

sam greenroyd
01-20-2010, 03:32 PM
Yes and there were police units all over the place.....

The damage to my car is so extensive (3 shots into and through the top of the car-need new windshield and back passenger door window)

papa if you need help with the damage call me,thats my job.

Generals64
01-20-2010, 04:47 PM
papa if you need help with the damage call me,thats my job.
================================================== ==============
Hey Sam, are you not a U.S. Grant Graduate????Around 67??????Hmmmmm