View Full Version : Southside OKC Memories....anyone?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 [41] 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58

Doug Loudenback
08-16-2009, 09:36 AM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yes, it used to go up to the river. That is the last of the area. On the South side of the River area off May Ave. If I remember correctly, there were three designated streets there. The old Railroad cars that were put together was a house for some family at one time. They were (long ago) just Shanties built with whatever they could find......I have you a couple of more pictures since yesterday....Also Thanks for coming and being part of the Southside Kids.......
Well, as I said, what I did find was on the NORTH side of the river, and yes I did see an old railroad car there.

I forgot to send you the PM you wanted. I'll do that now.

papaOU
08-16-2009, 01:08 PM
Well, as I said, what I did find was on the NORTH side of the river, and yes I did see an old railroad car there.

I forgot to send you the PM you wanted. I'll do that now.

I think the highway construction has cleared the river area of those dwellings and any evidence that they were there. Those camps were all along the north side of the river from east of penn to may. I don't remember how far east of penn they started.

Rickster
08-16-2009, 03:59 PM
Hey guys, how was the meeting yesterday? Really wanted to go but have been busy working on my kitchen. Sorry I haven't been on lately, hope no one's been talking smack about me. LOL.

Generals64
08-16-2009, 04:00 PM
Hey guys, how was the meeting yesterday? Really wanted to go but have been busy working on my kitchen. Sorry I haven't been on lately, hope no one's been talking smack about me. LOL.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
well, you were the main topic.....there were a bunch of women there......

Rickster
08-16-2009, 06:43 PM
well, you were the main topic.....there were a bunch of women there......

I sure hate I missed it. I enjoy talking with everyone. Certainly plan on making the next one.

Generals64
08-16-2009, 07:22 PM
I think the highway construction has cleared the river area of those dwellings and any evidence that they were there. Those camps were all along the north side of the river from east of penn to may. I don't remember how far east of penn they started.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are still a few of the old homesteads there on May Avenue but they have been covered with Siding and brought up to code I think. the old Freight Cars are still there.....I got my Driver's license in '62 and it was probably in '63 that I went down in there the few times that I did go. The people were SUPER nice and very considerate. They didn't even wonder why some 16 year old kid from another part of the Southside was there. They just wave and talked about my old car (55 chevy) I thought the car was cool and so did the residents....Even USG60 had some of the same experiences.....Rickster can probably shine more light on this...Also, there were some of the same type dwellings off Penn and about S.W. 5th...
There's a baseball field there now I think....

rowdy55ok
08-17-2009, 10:06 AM
Mulligan Flats?

Generals64
08-17-2009, 04:00 PM
Mulligan Flats?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Naw, The Flats were north ( and still are) of Reno to 10th and east and west from May to Penn.....

papaOU
08-17-2009, 08:09 PM
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Naw, The Flats were north ( and still are) of Reno to 10th and east and west from May to Penn.....

There was an area in s.e. okc that was called mulligan flats as well.

Prunepicker
08-17-2009, 08:22 PM
Naw, The Flats were north ( and still are) of Reno to 10th and east and west
from May to Penn...

Hey, Gen64, what was the name of the place on the river to Reno?
Sandtown?

Generals64
08-17-2009, 08:52 PM
Hey, Gen64, what was the name of the place on the river to Reno?
Sandtown?

Yes, that is what it was always called. There is a correctional facility on the North side of I-40 and that was some school but I can't remember the name. The correctional center is called Carver.... Mark Twain Elementary is on n.w. 2nd and Villa....which is known as Agnew on the south side of OKC.

Prunepicker
08-17-2009, 09:34 PM
Yes, that is what it was always called. There is a correctional facility on the
North side of I-40 and that was some school but I can't remember the name.
The correctional center is called Carver... Mark Twain Elementary is on n.w.
2nd and Villa... which is known as Agnew on the south side of OKC.

I thought that was what it was called. Sandtown! I knew a girl who lived
there, west of 2nd & Villa.

It was called Carver elementary! That's all I ever heard it called. I remember
when it was built. I have a friend who was the warden there. Not when it
was an elementary school, just when it was the correctional facility.

papaOU
08-18-2009, 12:01 AM
I thought that was what it was called. Sandtown! I knew a girl who lived
there, west of 2nd & Villa.

It was called Carver elementary! That's all I ever heard it called. I remember
when it was built. I have a friend who was the warden there. Not when it
was an elementary school, just when it was the correctional facility.

Probably safer and more secure as a correctional facility than it was as an elementary school.

Prunepicker
08-18-2009, 09:50 PM
Who did I miss at the Southside OKC Memories get together last Satuday?

I saw Gen64, Gen78 and his wife Gen2009, SouthsideGirl, Soonergirl26,
Gen60, Bowtieguy(?), papaOU, Frisky and someone I don't know.

Was DougLoudenback there? Anyone else?

papaOU
08-18-2009, 10:18 PM
Who did I miss at the Southside OKC Memories get together last Satuday?

I saw Gen64, Gen78 and his wife Gen2009, SouthsideGirl, Soonergirl26,
Gen60, Bowtieguy(?), papaOU, Frisky and someone I don't know.

Was DougLoudenback there? Anyone else?

Doug was there but left after eating. A first timer with a friend. Alice went from grade-school with SouthSide Girl. The three of us went to Jr.high and part of high-school but she moved late in the game and graduated from Mustang High in 1973. Attempting to get her to take part with her memories as well. Her friend is a Western Heights grad.

SOUTHSIDE GIRL
08-19-2009, 07:24 AM
Rowdy55ok was back after missing the last two months.

papaOU
08-19-2009, 09:01 AM
Rowdy55ok was back after missing the last two months.

OOOOOPPPPPPPSSSSSS! Sorry Rowdy55ok!!

The Striper kind of messed my mind up!!!!

Still have not recovered from Saturday!!!!! :ohno:

rowdy55ok
08-19-2009, 12:33 PM
OOOOOPPPPPPPSSSSSS! Sorry Rowdy55ok!!

The Striper kind of messed my mind up!!!!

Still have not recovered from Saturday!!!!! :ohno:

My invisible cloak must have turned on accidently. What's a striper?:doh:

papaOU
08-19-2009, 09:35 PM
My invisible cloak must have turned on accidently. What's a striper?:doh:

Inside joke so I'll send you a pm.....

Generals64
08-20-2009, 08:45 PM
Everybody that reads this post do me a favor.....Send TeriOKC a PM inviting her to the next Soutside meeting....Don't be "Ugly" be as kind as you can and since she started this thing she should at least come to one of the meetings......Can you do it for an OLD MAN?????

Prunepicker
08-20-2009, 09:13 PM
Everybody that reads this post do me a favor... Send TeriOKC a PM inviting
her to the next Soutside meeting... Don't be "Ugly" be as kind as you can and
since she started this thing she should at least come to one of the
meetings... Can you do it for an OLD MAN?

That will be September 19, 2009 at Coit's on the Southside! Will you
reserved the room?

I'm going to PU her, right now. I mean PM.

Prunepicker
08-20-2009, 09:25 PM
Here's a link to the first message!

Re: Southside OKC Memories... anyone? (http://www.okctalk.com/nostalgia-memories/13065-southside-okc-memories-anyone-97.html#post146300)

You can send her a PM from there!

Southsider
08-21-2009, 11:26 AM
My dad was also one of the founding physicians of South Community hospital. Loved being a Southsider with many fond memories. Recently I bought a bike for my son and recalled the great times we used to have at Skate-A-Rama, Golf-A-Rama, and getting bikes from Bike-A-Rama.

Prunepicker
08-21-2009, 10:23 PM
What was the pitch and putt on S. Western? I think it was north of the
river a few blocks.

gen70
08-22-2009, 11:30 AM
What was the pitch and putt on S. Western? I think it was north of the
river a few blocks.

I don't remember the name, but I think it was located on the S. side of the river across from Wiley Post.

Generals64
08-22-2009, 02:16 PM
I don't remember the name, but I think it was located on the S. side of the river across from Wiley Post.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'70, you're beginning to sound like a "Northsider".....The air park was the Downtown air park and it was on the south side of the River....East Side
of Western.................

Generals64
08-22-2009, 02:17 PM
By the way, the name of the bar was 'THE CORN CRIB"...

Prunepicker
08-22-2009, 02:56 PM
I don't remember the name, but I think it was located on the S. side of the
river across from Wiley Post.

I played there several times. A nine iron, a putter and a ball. too much fun!

Prunepicker
08-22-2009, 02:59 PM
'70, you're beginning to sound like a "Northsider"... The air park was the
Downtown air park and it was on the south side of the River... East Side
of Western...

Correction. It was on the west side of western. Remember, your pocket
knife is in your left pocket, which is west, unless your going south then it's
east.

Generals64
08-22-2009, 03:24 PM
Sorry, I meant the Pitch 'n Putt was on the East Side of Western. The bar was originally named The Corn Crib but later became known as the "Sunset" Club. I'll find out the name of the Miniature Golf place...give me time...

papaOU
08-22-2009, 07:34 PM
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'70, you're beginning to sound like a "Northsider".....The air park was the Downtown air park and it was on the south side of the River....East Side
of Western.................

Downtown Air Park was on the west side of Western........

Generals64
09-01-2009, 08:17 AM
Downtown Air Park was on the west side of Western........

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++++++
Talking about airpark's:..I remember riding my bicycle to Will Rogers to see an airplane up close...The Stewardess let my friend and I come on board...(walked up the stairs) and the pilot let us sit in Captain's chair and showed us the gauges and tried to explain but we were in such AWE...then they gave us official Pilot's wings:....Plastic I suppose....Could you imagine what a couple of fifth grade kids would be told today????

papaOU
09-01-2009, 10:23 AM
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++++++
Talking about airpark's:..I remember riding my bicycle to Will Rogers to see an airplane up close...The Stewardess let my friend and I come on board...(walked up the stairs) and the pilot let us sit in Captain's chair and showed us the gauges and tried to explain but we were in such AWE...then they gave us official Pilot's wings:....Plastic I suppose....Could you imagine what a couple of fifth grade kids would be told today????

They would hijack the crew and plane!!! At gunpoint!

azshores
09-04-2009, 07:12 PM
Have lived in Phx for 30 years. Grew up on s.w.32nd off of Agnew.
Haven't been on (and kept up w/ all of your "flashbacks"), but anyone remember "Louie's 29 Club" on sw29th? I believe it burned down when I was only a kid.
I remember my Mother hated the place since she was such a devout religious person.

USG '60
09-05-2009, 10:37 AM
Have lived in Phx for 30 years. Grew up on s.w.32nd off of Agnew.
Haven't been on (and kept up w/ all of your "flashbacks"), but anyone remember "Louie's 29 Club" on sw29th? I believe it burned down when I was only a kid.
I remember my Mother hated the place since she was such a devout religious person.

Didn't Louie's have a tophat and cane on their sign?

Prunepicker
09-05-2009, 02:26 PM
Since nobody has objected :LolLolLol

Southside OKC Memories
Get Together

Coit's Root Beer Drive-In
2500 S. Western
September 26, 1:30pm

Bring memories, memorabilia,
photos, yearbooks, etc...
E-mail Teri! After all, it's her fault we're all
getting together!

jmw45
09-09-2009, 12:26 PM
The CAPITOL HILL ROCKIN' REUNION will happen on May 15, 2010 at Capitol Hill.

Come to the Kickoff Launch get together at the
GRILL ON THE HILL, Friday Sept 18, 2009 at 6:00pm
and find out more. We really want to have as many south side HS alums show up as possible.

Myself and some others have officially planned a Capitol Hill Rockin' Reunion for May 15, 2010.

We are doing this through the Capitol Hill Main Street program.

There will be a Hot Rod Car Show, A Motorcycle Show, Rock Bands both old and new, a Guitar Art Contest, food booths, and much more!!

I was hoping to have a web site address for you by this time but it's not done yet.

If you have any questions either come to the kickoff launch or ask them here.

I would also appreciate getting the addresses of other web sites that would also like to know about this event.

I will also be posting additional information here as it becomes available.

USG '60
09-09-2009, 02:51 PM

and find out more. We really want to have as many south side HS alums show up as possible.

Myself and some others have officially planned a Capitol Hill Rockin' Reunion for May 15, 2010.

There will be a Hot Rod Car Show, A Motorcycle Show, Rock Bands both old and new, a Guitar Art Contest, food booths, and much more!!

I was hoping to have a web site address for you by this time but it's not done yet.

I would also appreciate getting the addresses of other web sites that would also like to know about this event.

I trust you will remind our old minds a day or two before the 18th.

Generals64
09-09-2009, 05:27 PM
I trust you will remind our old minds a day or two before the 18th.

55555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555 55555555555555555555555555555555555
Didn't these people come to one of the meetings??? OH YEAH BE SURE TO SEND TERI AN INVITE...YOU KNOW, THE ONE THAT STARTED THE SOUTHSIDE THREAD....WITH ENOUGH OF US SENDING HER MESSAGES MAYBE SHE'LL SHOW HER SMILING FACE.....THE BRACES ARE GONE SHE SAYS....

jmw45
09-10-2009, 11:00 AM
Yes, I came to one of your meetings at Coits. However, we were trying to have this event in Oct of this year but the Main Street people drug their feet and we ran out of time.

Yes, I will remind everyone next week. In addition we are hoping to have a large banner displayed in side the Grill On The Hill.

Generals64
09-13-2009, 04:46 PM
Yes, I came to one of your meetings at Coits. However, we were trying to have this event in Oct of this year but the Main Street people drug their feet and we ran out of time.

Yes, I will remind everyone next week. In addition we are hoping to have a large banner displayed in side the Grill On The Hill.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Coit's is mostly the hangout of the southside Nostalgia group. There is however some Alumni groups with very active Websites.....

Generals64
09-16-2009, 07:00 PM
has everyone posted a notice for teriokc to be at the meeting?

No excuse is acceptable for her not to come this meeting.....

papaOU
09-16-2009, 07:12 PM

So is this still on?

Generals64
09-16-2009, 07:15 PM
So is this still on?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I guess the meeting is still on. The shin dig is in May I think of 2010...

papaOU
09-16-2009, 07:18 PM
[QUOTE=Generals64;255235]--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I guess the meeting is still on. QUOTE]

Like to know for sure. If not I'm going to the CHHS-SE game.......

Generals64
09-16-2009, 07:35 PM
[QUOTE=Generals64;255235]--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I guess the meeting is still on. QUOTE]

Like to know for sure. If not I'm going to the CHHS-SE game.......

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I think the meeting is still on and I probably won't attend but, I might go and root for Capitol Hill (OMG I can't believe I just said that)......

papaOU
09-16-2009, 07:44 PM
[QUOTE=papaOU;255239]

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I think the meeting is still on and I probably won't attend but, I might go and root for Capitol Hill (OMG I can't believe I just said that)......

If not the CHHS game I may go to the Mount's game and spend the evening harassing SouthSide Girl.

Prunepicker
09-16-2009, 07:46 PM
has everyone posted a notice for teriokc to be at the meeting?
No excuse is acceptable for her not to come this meeting...

'Jes diddit! Teriok (http://www.okctalk.com/nostalgia-memories/13065-southside-okc-memories-anyone-98.html#post146300) will take you to the first Southside OKC Memories post.
Click her name and select 'send a private message to teriokc'. Then do it!

gen70
09-21-2009, 03:36 PM
I know some of you southsiders remember that pumping unit out on Portland (I think) and S. of 89th we called the "Green Monster". We had some pretty wild "get togethers" out there back in my days on the southside.

USG '60
09-21-2009, 04:11 PM
I know some of you southsiders remember that pumping unit out on Portland (I think) and S. of 89th we called the "Green Monster". We had some pretty wild "get togethers" out there back in my days on the southside.

Had some memorable "gang" fights out there. One turned tragic in '61.

Generals64
09-21-2009, 05:10 PM
Had some memorable "gang" fights out there. One turned tragic in '61.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
That's weird, my wife and I were talking about that last night. Whatever happened to the guy who shot the other guy???It was a mere chance accident in my opinion. He had had enough bullying....What do you think?????

gen70
09-21-2009, 06:52 PM
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
That's weird, my wife and I were talking about that last night. Whatever happened to the guy who shot the other guy???It was a mere chance accident in my opinion. He had had enough bullying....What do you think????? Now that I looked at a google map, the pumping unit was off of May., and I've been gone from OKC so long I didn't know all those houses were out there, and even a hospital.

USG '60
09-21-2009, 09:17 PM
That's weird, my wife and I were talking about that last night. Whatever happened to the guy who shot the other guy???It was a mere chance accident in my opinion. He had had enough bullying....What do you think?????

As further proof of my poor deteriorating mind, I know that I heard something about him several months ago, but for the life of me I can't remember what it was. However, it might just be telling me that it wasn't memorable. Nothing out of the ordinary. Nonetheless, I don't remember. :redface: And YES about the bullying .... absolutely. He was blind as a bat even with thick glasses; he just aimed out and up not knowing Roy was going to leap up in the air as he attacked with the tire tool. As I said when we talked about this a year or so ago, Roy was a friend of mine but Alvin was guilty of no crime. He didn't take the gun out there. Jimmy D, stuck it in his hand and said Shoot him, when he saw Roy grab the tire tool. Jimmy was the guiltiest person out there that day.

Opps, what are supposed to be talking about?

Generals64
09-22-2009, 08:08 AM
As further proof of my poor deteriorating mind, I know that I heard something about him several months ago, but for the life of me I can't remember what it was. However, it might just be telling me that it wasn't memorable. Nothing out of the ordinary. Nonetheless, I don't remember. :redface: And YES about the bullying .... absolutely. He was blind as a bat even with thick glasses; he just aimed out and up not knowing Roy was going to leap up in the air as he attacked with the tire tool. As I said when we talked about this a year or so ago, Roy was a friend of mine but Alvin was guilty of no crime. He didn't take the gun out there. Jimmy D, stuck it in his hand and said Shoot him, when he saw Roy grab the tire tool. Jimmy was the guiltiest person out there that day.

Opps, what are supposed to be talking about?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alvin was Blind and Roy had kicked his glasses off and broke them in half. My sister was a '61 graduate and I was a Roosevelt but, the news traveled fast. It's a shame that anyone got killed but its more of shame that kids carry guns to school now all the time....

Generals64
09-22-2009, 08:09 AM
Hey You guys:...............We are on page 99 now for this thread...Remember when it was on 15 pages and very few Responses????Come on, we can make it 100 can't we....???

grantgeneral78
09-22-2009, 08:15 AM
Hey You guys:...............We are on page 99 now for this thread...Remember when it was on 15 pages and very few Responses????Come on, we can make it 100 can't we....???

Ok you are just way to excited!

Generals64
09-22-2009, 09:08 AM
Ok you are just way to excited!

Yeah ,.....but you can't believe it either. and not just a bunch of "Bumps". Have you email TERIOKC and told her she was to come to this meeting????
Oh Yeah, saw an old Henry J day before yesterday...

Redskins/General
09-22-2009, 01:51 PM
Yeah ,.....but you can't believe it either. and not just a bunch of "Bumps". Have you email TERIOKC and told her she was to come to this meeting????
I sold my 1952 Henry J to your neighbor on 47th on the S.E. corner of Independence for $12.50 and I had to deliver it!!!!! I had given his brother $25.00 for it, no wonder I can't seem to make any money!!

papaOU
09-22-2009, 07:40 PM

Seems to me someone gave you instructions so you could contact her and quit worrying about someone else doing it..................

grantgeneral78
09-24-2009, 05:57 AM

No I havent I will email her, yeah a guy by me owns a Henry J it is pretty cool.