View Full Version : Southside OKC Memories....anyone?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 [40] 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58

Generals64
08-03-2009, 05:21 PM
Salad, pizza, omelet!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Just got told no more ICE CREAM for '64.....looking for a bullet.....more of those stupid kidney stones.....wonder if that's a Southside Genetic Problem????

Prunepicker
08-03-2009, 05:29 PM
Just got told no more ICE CREAM for '64... looking for a bullet... more of those
stupid kidney stones... wonder if that's a Southside Genetic Problem?

Prunette wonders why I don't have kidney stones because of all the milk I
drink. Did your doc tell to to stop the ice cream? That's awful.

Prunepicker
08-03-2009, 05:32 PM
Southside OKC Memories
Get Together

Coit's Root Beer Drive-In
2500 S. Western

August 15, 1:30pm

Bring memories, memorabilia,
photos, yearbooks, etc...

papaOU
08-03-2009, 05:40 PM
Just got told no more ICE CREAM for '64.....looking for a bullet.....more of those stupid kidney stones.....wonder if that's a Southside Genetic Problem????

It's a Grant thing......................

As you grow older the rocks start falling from your head..............

kidney stones, gallstones................

Then comes gout................

Generals64
08-03-2009, 06:28 PM

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yeah, but he told me (in front of my wife) to start drinking more Beer. Like this doctor....hate the D%#$@N Kidney Stones....They hurt like "CRAZY"....Makes me dream that I might have accidently went to Capitol Hill......Whew better go and get another beer......

grantgeneral78
08-03-2009, 07:26 PM
kidney stones done that already they hurtttttt

Prunepicker
08-03-2009, 09:17 PM
Yeah, but he told me (in front of my wife) to start drinking more Beer. Like
this doctor, hate the D%#$@N Kidney Stones. They hurt like "CRAZY."
Makes me dream that I might have accidently went to Capitol Hill... Whew
better go and get another beer...

At the next meeting let's all vote against having any more kidney stones.
Maybe we can all go to San Francisco and do one of those sit ins.

papaOU
08-03-2009, 10:13 PM
At the next meeting let's all vote against having any more kidney stones.
Maybe we can all go to San Francisco and do one of those sit ins.

Just have to be careful what you sit ON!!

gen70
08-05-2009, 08:16 AM
I remember buying my first baseball glove at the Woolworths in Grant Square shooping center.

Generals64
08-05-2009, 06:02 PM

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yeah on the Ice Cream But....I gotta drink More BEER.....Shucks.....

Redskins/General
08-05-2009, 09:08 PM
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yeah on the Ice Cream But....I gotta drink More BEER.....Shucks.....
I bet those stones were the size of golf balls with little spurs on them! You can sure tell your gettin' old when all you do is whine about your health, you little wuss!! You know I'm only kidding, or am I!! How long are we going to have to hear about these little stones of yours anyway?

Generals64
08-06-2009, 09:07 AM
I bet those stones were the size of golf balls with little spurs on them! You can sure tell your gettin' old when all you do is whine about your health, you little wuss!! You know I'm only kidding, or am I!! How long are we going to have to hear about these little stones of yours anyway?

Oh man, your back....finally someone to pick on.....and oh yeah, I know you've been down this same road and you know they hurt like H%$#......Stay with us....

Prunepicker
08-07-2009, 01:03 PM
ONLY 8 MORE SHOPPING
DAYS UNTIL

Southside OKC Memories
Get Together

2500 S. Western

Alek Hidell
08-08-2009, 07:12 PM
Just discovered this site and this thread in the last couple of days ... great memories of many things I'd forgotten. Lifelong southsider here (Coolidge Crocodile, M.L. King Fifth-Year Center [remember Fifth-Year Centers?], Roosevelt Titan, U.S. Grant General), and in fact I still am - just a lot farther south now. I'm a little younger than some of you (age 43), but it's been a real pleasure reading this thread.

Here are some southside locations I remember of which I've seen little or no mention on this thread:

I've seen a couple of passing mentions of Arthur Treacher's Fish & Chips - there was one at 59th & May at one time (early '70s?), just west of May, maybe across the street from Pizza Inn. Anyone remember it?
Cullen Lumber at SW 25th & May.
The Brigadier - a small hobby shop on 59th, just west of Blackwelder (near where the Tandy Leather store is). Closed around 1975 or so.
Bramble Hardware - just west of Western on 59th. Building is still there, you can still see part of the outline of "Bramble Hardware" on the facade if you look close.
I think I saw one mention of Stockton's in the shopping center at 59th & Western (SE corner). Was it the one that had the big heavy front doors?.
A few mentions of Big Ed's, but I don't think anyone mentioned that he also had a location in the Almonte Shopping Center (59th & May). We used to eat there all the time. There was a Coney Island hot dog place in the Almonte too (in the 1980s).
I've been racking my brain trying to recall the Across the Street restaurant. Where was it exactly - east of Del Rancho? I lived so close to there I feel I should remember it. That 7-11 store on 59th (across from Del Rancho) was my main comic book supplier in the 1970s.
People have mentioned the ill-fated Sirloin Stockade. Wasn't there a similar restaurant, too, called Sizzlin' Sirloin? They may even have had the big cow out front too. Seems like there was one near 59th & Penn (across from Kenny Skaggs?). I also remember that there was a Jack in the Box restaurant on the NE corner of 59th & Penn at one time (I don't think it lasted long).

Thanks for the memories, everyone!

papaOU
08-10-2009, 10:40 AM
[QUOTE=Alek Hidell;245164 I've been racking my brain trying to recall the Across the Street restaurant. Where was it exactly - east of Del Rancho?

It was east of Del Rancho. Is the Del Rancho still open? The Across the Street and the 7/11 are both gone.

How about Neptune's Submarine Sandwiches. It was if all those closed one night and just never reopened with no warning............

Alek Hidell
08-10-2009, 08:04 PM
[QUOTE=Alek Hidell;245164 I've been racking my brain trying to recall the Across the Street restaurant. Where was it exactly - east of Del Rancho?

It was east of Del Rancho. Is the Del Rancho still open? The Across the Street and the 7/11 are both gone.

How about Neptune's Submarine Sandwiches. It was if all those closed one night and just never reopened with no warning............

Yeah, I think the Del Rancho is still there. I don't get over that way too often anymore. Del Rancho did close their location at NW 10th & Virginia a few years back, but I don't know of any others that have closed.

Generals64
08-11-2009, 04:13 PM
[QUOTE=papaOU;245438]

Yeah, I think the Del Rancho is still there. I don't get over that way too often anymore. Del Rancho did close their location at NW 10th & Virginia a few years back, but I don't know of any others that have closed.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It is still there, it used to be called Don's. The 7-11 building he's talking about is still there but is a pay day loan place. The original Del Rancho (15th street in Del city) closed some time back......If you were to look at the front of the center at 59th and Agnew by the creek, that is where Across the Street restaurant was located.......The guy that owns Charlestons, Krispy Kreme and so on began as a fry cook right there.......

Prunepicker
08-11-2009, 06:02 PM
[quote=papaOU;245438]

Yeah, I think the Del Rancho is still there. I don't get over that way too often
anymore. Del Rancho did close their location at NW 10th & Virginia a few
years back, but I don't know of any others that have closed.

The Del Rancho on S.W. 59th is still there. It used to be Don's Drive In in the
60's.

Across the street was on the N.E. corner of S.W. 59th and S. Agnew on the
southern most part of the shopping center.

Prunepicker
08-11-2009, 06:04 PM
I should have read Gen64's post, first. We said the same thing!

Generals64
08-11-2009, 06:10 PM
I should have read Gen64's post, first. We said the same thing!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Brilliant minds think alike....Right?????......

Prunepicker
08-11-2009, 06:18 PM
Brilliant minds think alike... Right?

That's encouraging? I mean, that's encouraging :LolLolLol

grantgeneral78
08-11-2009, 08:59 PM
[QUOTE=papaOU;245438]

I worked at ACROSS THE STREET RESTAURANT back in 74-75 was the most fun at a job I ever had.

papaOU
08-11-2009, 09:56 PM
A memorey from S.E.: Burger Train........

andy157
08-12-2009, 02:35 AM
A memorey from S.E.: Burger Train........You talking about the one in Del City on S.E.15 and Sunnylane?

gen70
08-12-2009, 06:52 AM
I remember the Burger Train. Kenny Skaggs Jr. and I had a mind blowing experience there once. We pulled into the place having never been there or even heard of the place before and..well..it was a surprise..you know..those box things that went back and forth from the bldg. to the cars.

andy157
08-12-2009, 10:13 AM
I remember the Burger Train. Kenny Skaggs Jr. and I had a mind blowing experience there once. We pulled into the place having never been there or even heard of the place before and..well..it was a surprise..you know..those box things that went back and forth from the bldg. to the cars.Were you by chance pulling up in a black 1970 Chevy Chevelle SS?

Prunepicker
08-12-2009, 10:17 AM
I remember the Burger Train. Kenny Skaggs Jr...

I played baseball with Kenny Skaggs, Jr. I see his dad every Sunday.

gen70
08-12-2009, 11:45 AM
Were you by chance pulling up in a black 1970 Chevy Chevelle SS?

No, It was dark blue. And we cowboyed the hell out of it. It even went thru a flood in front of my parents house at S.W. 61st and Kentucky, water to the top of the doors.

TOWNHERO
08-12-2009, 12:26 PM
I played baseball with Kenny Skaggs, Jr. I see his dad every Sunday.

I knew Kenny Skaggs Jr. I'm sitting here trying to remember, it was either baseball or pee wee footbal that I played with him. I think it was football with either the S. Optimist Bears or the Tigers.

Gen70, where did you go to Jr. High. I went to Roosevelt.

There is a guy that works in another department that I played pee wee football with that graduated from Gran in 1970.

gen70
08-12-2009, 01:34 PM
I knew Kenny Skaggs Jr. I'm sitting here trying to remember, it was either baseball or pee wee footbal that I played with him. I think it was football with either the S. Optimist Bears or the Tigers.

Gen70, where did you go to Jr. High. I went to Roosevelt.

There is a guy that works in another department that I played pee wee football with that graduated from Gran in 1970.

I went to Jefferson but, played for the Tigers in the 9th grade. Coaches name was Wilkerson or Wilkenson (I think).

TOWNHERO
08-12-2009, 02:42 PM
I went to Jefferson but, played for the Tigers in the 9th grade. Coaches name was Wilkerson or Wilkenson (I think).

Thats to funny. I bet we might know each other. I played for him from about the 4th to 8th grade, then played 9th grade football at Grant. His son's name was Butch and was the QB. I use to know a lot kids from Jefferson from playing footbal and baseball. After the 9th, they changed the district and I went to Capital Hill and graduated in 1970. Then went to college at CSU, graduated in 1974, then went into the Marines for 16 years. I've been back in Okla since 1990.

USG '60
08-12-2009, 05:32 PM
Did any of you have Brynda Buckner for English or Latin at Jefferson. She was too young to be an old biddie, but she was a biddie just the same. Hey, I can say that she was (still is) my sister. :Smiley181 (I dare say this because she told me recently that she doesn't know how to use google. If she learns I'm in trouble):redface: :Smiley259 :omg:

andy157
08-12-2009, 08:16 PM
No, It was dark blue. And we cowboyed the hell out of it. It even went thru a flood in front of my parents house at S.W. 61st and Kentucky, water to the top of the doors.I remember it being a dark color. Did you know his cousin Eddie Ray? Did you by chance play softball on the team that K.S. Sr. sponsered?

Generals64
08-12-2009, 09:28 PM
I remember it being a dark color. Did you know his cousin Eddie Ray? Did you by chance play softball on the team that K.S. Sr. sponsered?

you guys are really making me feel old. It's 10:30 p.m. I just moved the last of my wife's teaching materials out of JEFFERSON.....I was in the first Graduating class (9th grade) at Roosevelt....1961.....I knew Kenny Skaggs Jr. when he was in diapers......and still know him...he probably should go back to diapers.....I also remember when Miss Shugru had REAL Black hair.......and Clarence Huffman was the principal at Grant. But, did you know he wasn't the first principal at U.S. Grant High School????and Townhero, we are having our weekly meeting this Saturday at Coit's at 1:30....and just for good measure this is our ONE YEAR ANNIVERSARY for having Southside memory meetings......Steve....you need to do a story about this one.....

USG '60
08-12-2009, 10:55 PM
you guys are really making me feel old. It's 10:30 p.m. I just moved the last of my wife's teaching materials out of JEFFERSON.....I was in the first Graduating class (9th grade) at Roosevelt....1961.....I knew Kenny Skaggs Jr. when he was in diapers......and still know him...he probably should go back to diapers.....I also remember when Miss Shugru had REAL Black hair.......and Clarence Huffman was the principal at Grant. But, did you know he wasn't the first principal at U.S. Grant High School????and Townhero, we are having our weekly meeting this Saturday at Coit's at 1:30....and just for good measure this is our ONE YEAR ANNIVERSARY for having Southside memory meetings......Steve....you need to do a story about this one.....Wasn't it Russell Brough?

Prunepicker
08-12-2009, 11:01 PM
ONLY 3 MORE SHOPPING
DAYS UNTIL

Southside OKC Memories
Get Together

2500 S. Western

Prunepicker
08-12-2009, 11:15 PM
On the Nastalgia & Memories page it says I have 436 on this thread (south
side OKC memories.)

Did I win anything?

andy157
08-13-2009, 12:18 AM
side OKC memories.)

Did I win anything? You logged 436 out of the 2377 total post, oops make that 2378, Prunepicker I must say, that aint half bad. Did you win anything you ask, I dont know. Depends on how the judges figure the scores. If you look at the shear numbers then 436 will give you a lock on first place. On the other hand if the percentage of individual/total post is the criteria used in scoring 436/2378 wont get you the GOLD. But have no fear you get the GOLD. I point you to the Political Humor thread. Out of 231 total post 125 of them belonged to you. 125 out of 231 thats remarkable, your closest competition was Thunder with 15. Talk about overkill 125 to 15 you should feel bad. What can you call this other than absolute total thread domination. Congratulations, you are the man(by the way, hope your feeling better)

papaOU
08-13-2009, 12:39 AM
side OKC memories.)

Did I win anything?

of course.

You have reached such a high status that allows you to be an 'honorary' member of the CHHS Alums saturday. But only if you get a haircut or click it back..

Prunepicker
08-13-2009, 12:43 AM
You logged 436 out of the 2377 total post, oops make that 2378, Prunepicker
I must say, that aint half bad... I point you to the Political Humor thread. Out
of 231 total post 125 of them belonged to you. 125 out of 231 thats
remarkable, your closest competition was Thunder with 15. Talk about overkill
125 to 15 you should feel bad. What can you call this other than absolute
total thread domination. Congratulations, you are the man(by the way, hope
your feeling better)

Gee, I do feel better.

gen70
08-13-2009, 05:19 AM
I remember it being a dark color. Did you know his cousin Eddie Ray? Did you by chance play softball on the team that K.S. Sr. sponsered?

I remember Eddie Ray, haven't thought of him for decades until you mentioned it. No I didn't play on that team.

papaOU
08-13-2009, 10:23 AM
Forget about Malibu.

How about the "dirt" go-kart tracks.

Even though it was "paved" the track at I40 and Scott St. was a blast as well.

Generals64
08-13-2009, 02:21 PM
Forget about Malibu.

How about the "dirt" go-kart tracks.

Even though it was "paved" the track at I40 and Scott St. was a blast as well.
just realized that there have been 192,000 views of the Nostalgia thread...you know, the one that no one was interested in......

papaOU
08-13-2009, 03:17 PM
just realized that there have been 192,000 views of the Nostalgia thread...you know, the one that no one was interested in......

I don't care anything about Nostalgia...........

I enjoy just talking about past places and events........

Guess that makes me more concerned with history......

Should we start a history thread to replace nostalgia?????:fighting2

How did I get here in the first place?????

Had something to do with make-out spots, pole dancing at Albertsons and 16 year old exotic dancers........

Generals64
08-13-2009, 03:39 PM
I don't care anything about Nostalgia...........

I enjoy just talking about past places and events........

Guess that makes me more concerned with history......

Should we start a history thread to replace nostalgia?????:fighting2

How did I get here in the first place?????

Had something to do with make-out spots, pole dancing at Albertsons and 16 year old exotic dancers........

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
you are sick.

Prunepicker
08-14-2009, 06:09 PM
Tomorrow's the day!

Southside OKC Memories
Get Together

2500 S. Western

SoonerGirl26
08-14-2009, 11:16 PM
At this moment I do plan to be there tomorrow....see you guys then!! (Make that today!!)

~~~

papaOU
08-15-2009, 01:38 AM
At this moment I do plan to be there tomorrow....see you guys then!! (Make that today!!)

~~~

Wearing your "shirt?"??????????????

Or! You can come topless................:sofa:

Sorry! Been conversing too much with '64 and it can kind of rub-off on you...

:fighting2

SoonerGirl26
08-15-2009, 08:26 AM
Wearing your "shirt?"??????????????

Or! You can come topless................:sofa:

Sorry! Been conversing too much with '64 and it can kind of rub-off on you...

:fighting2

Topless??? I'm thinking NOT!! But I might just dig out that SPARTAN t-shirt and wear it today. I could be real nostalgic and wear my cheerleader uniform....if it fit!!!

~~~

Generals64
08-15-2009, 09:30 AM
topless??? I'm thinking not!! But i might just dig out that spartan t-shirt and wear it today. I could be real nostalgic and wear my cheerleader uniform....if it fit!!!

~~~

yikes!!!! Tmi

papaOU
08-15-2009, 03:59 PM
Topless??? I'm thinking NOT!! But I might just dig out that SPARTAN t-shirt and wear it today. I could be real nostalgic and wear my cheerleader uniform....if it fit!!!

~~~

Well you look great and fit to me. I didn't realize until Generals64 told me you were 71......................

SoonerGirl26
08-15-2009, 06:08 PM
Well you look great and fit to me. I didn't realize until Generals64 told me you were 71......................

Hahahahahahaha.....you guys are too funny!!!!

grantgeneral78
08-15-2009, 08:06 PM
It was a great reunion today! hard to believe it has been a year since we started out get together`s .....HAPPY ANNIVERSARY ALL!

:gossip:

grantgeneral78
08-15-2009, 08:21 PM
I found the link to the video of our original get together if anyone wants it just send me a private message.

SoonerGirl26
08-15-2009, 08:37 PM
It was a great reunion today! hard to believe it has been a year since we started out get together`s .....HAPPY ANNIVERSARY ALL!

:gossip:

It was a good gathering today!! I guess so....some of us stayed until 5:30!!!

~~~

SoonerGirl26
08-15-2009, 08:39 PM
I found the link to the video of our original get together if anyone wants it just send me a private message.

Yes, send it to me!!

~~~

Prunepicker
08-15-2009, 10:07 PM
Soonergirl26, at the meeting today you said two things you'd heard old folks
say. One was whippersnapper. What was the other?

Doug Loudenback
08-16-2009, 05:56 AM
I had a great time, too. Thanks for the link to that video, grantgeneral78 ... very nice.

After I left, I did drive by where you guys were talking but I'm not sure that I got it right ... I had though you said on the SOUTH side of the river on the east side of May but I didn't see any turnoff area there. But, on the north side of the river, I did. But those don't look like the kind of places that I expected ... a few old small frame houses. I drove as far as one could go until intersecting with the graders, etc., on the I-40 construction.

Is that what you meant, Generals64?

Generals64
08-16-2009, 07:15 AM
I had a great time, too. Thanks for the link to that video, grantgeneral78 ... very nice.

After I left, I did drive by where you guys were talking but I'm not sure that I got it right ... I had though you said on the SOUTH side of the river on the east side of May but I didn't see any turnoff area there. But, on the north side of the river, I did. But those don't look like the kind of places that I expected ... a few old small frame houses. I drove as far as one could go until intersecting with the graders, etc., on the I-40 construction.

Is that what you meant, Generals64?
Yes, it used to go up to the river. That is the last of the area. On the South side of the River area off May Ave. If I remember correctly, there were three designated streets there. The old Railroad cars that were put together was a house for some family at one time. They were (long ago) just Shanties built with whatever they could find......I have you a couple of more pictures since yesterday....Also Thanks for coming and being part of the Southside Kids.......

SoonerGirl26
08-16-2009, 08:40 AM
Soonergirl26, at the meeting today you said two things you'd heard old folks
say. One was whippersnapper. What was the other?

Well.............the other one I can't remember....LOL!! Maybe Frisky remembers what I said, he's younger than me!!!

~~~