View Full Version : Southside OKC Memories....anyone?

Generals64
08-11-2008, 08:05 PM
One of the few times I knew all the answers...

Do you remember the car numbers of those dirt track roundy-round guys? I do...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
First, I had my picture (I was 10) made with CARL FERGUSON #10
Then there was Bob Eichor #101....Bill McAlister(went to school with his girls Ann and Carlotta) his number jumped from #12 to whatever he decided on. He was one wild person. But was a teddy bear at heart.
O.K. I had an Old Age mind go blank. I remember going on Friday night and what a time we had. My best friend has stacks of the programs....

do you remember Carol Shipman?.......The beauty Queen they all wanted to kiss.
I got a kiss from her one time (I was grown) and it brought back memories. Of course by then she was married to Jude Northcutt of Jude and Jody fame. Carol passed away a few years ago.NOW tell me names and numbers....But, where did you go to school/ what year and what part of town are you from?

Generals64
08-11-2008, 09:00 PM
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
First, I had my picture (I was 10) made with CARL FERGUSON #10
Then there was Bob Eichor #101....Bill McAlister(went to school with his girls Ann and Carlotta) his number jumped from #12 to whatever he decided on. He was one wild person. But was a teddy bear at heart.
O.K. I had an Old Age mind go blank. I remember going on Friday night and what a time we had. My best friend has stacks of the programs....

do you remember Carol Shipman?.......The beauty Queen they all wanted to kiss.
I got a kiss from her one time (I was grown) and it brought back memories. Of course by then she was married to Jude Northcutt of Jude and Jody fame. Carol passed away a few years ago.NOW tell me names and numbers....But, where did you go to school/ what year and what part of town are you from?

================================================== =====
1. How About Spin & Marty?
2. How come Columbus Elementary always had the biggest guys in Little League
3. Remember Sam Goldstein? The original Sam's on Agnew
4. How did Gene Wade acquire Cattlemens" Restaurant?
5. Where were you when the Armour meat plant blew up?
6. Remember Mrs. Pendell at Roosevelt?....Tough Judicial Judge now.
7. Judge Twyla Gray is married to an old Grant Graduate (Charlie '66)
8. Anyone remember Tracy Norwood?
9..Hey Girls how about Mr. Hess or ms. Carter, Mr. Fuller....My senior year in Fuller's class we thought it would be funny to put a tack in one of the girls chairs. When she sat down and that went in her back side I felt so bad...Have seen her off and on over the years....But, 44 years later I drove to Ardmore (where she lives now) and apologized to her in front of her husband. Feel better about it now.
10. How many out there got an old brick from the school? My wife was a cheerleader and she always stood on a certain spot in the courtyard. I conned the demo guy to let me go in there and get those bricks for her....She still has them. I also got the science desks out of there...(wife is a science teacher at Jefferson now)......I do have a bunch of the original locker handles from Grant....Don't even ask...but, if you want one let me know....
11. Any of you guys go to camp classen?
12. Do you Rember "beat the HIll Friday night"..............anyone remember Connie Hahn:...Cha-cha-cha.....I saw Janice Triechler at the Grant before demo and reminded her of Cha-cha-cha:......She sais she was too old for that nonsense. How about Dan Marker? Did you know there were tow (2) mrs. Mannings teaching at the same time? One English and one Jr. Hi Choir....during the tear down of the school I came across the regional marching bands trophy for 1965...Any old band members out there that wants this?...Or I guess I could give it back . It was in a dumpster. see ya next time:.....................
see ya next time:.............

fire121
08-12-2008, 08:43 AM
I'll have to call my dad on those. He's US Grant '58. I know there was an Apco Service Station at SW 65 and May where the current 7-11 is. Full service and they sold gallon containers of Bordens milk. There was a DX Service station at SW 74 and May. My dad was friends with the owner who apparently was a star athlete at Grant or Capitol Hill?? What year did the kid get stabbed at Grant. I remember as a kid that was a huge deal and scared me to death.
I think Camp Kickapoo sits on County Line Rd around SW 102?? I know I got my hand messed up pretty bad in a Cub Scouts Tug O War there, probably around 1968 or 1969.
Wonder if I could still sue the Cub Scouts, Camp Kickapoo, and the rope mfg? Just kidding. This is an enjoyable thread, keep it going!!

andy157
08-12-2008, 10:35 AM
I think Bill Green is the name of the man who owned the DX service station at S.W. 74th and May. I know Mr. Green, and I know he had a gas station on the Southside, but I'm not positive of its location. He coached baseball for the S.S. Chiefs. I remember one time after a heavy rain our game was going to be cancelled because the fields were extreamly muddy. Mr. Green poured a few gallons of gas on the infield, lit it up, and dried it out enough for us to play on. Back then gas was only a quarter or so a gallon. I doubt he would have done that at todays price of gas.

fire121
08-12-2008, 01:14 PM
Thats hilarious!! Davis, Woodson or Friendship Field??

grantgeneral78
08-12-2008, 04:06 PM
Ok here is one I bet no one knows.
Who had the gas station at s.w.29th and penn?
what kind of station was it?
When he shut it down where did he move his business on 29th?

(subliminal message) hey general that locker handle perked my ears up hint hint!

andy157
08-12-2008, 05:28 PM
Thats hilarious!! Davis, Woodson or Friendship Field??None of the above. Not sure what its name was. If I remember right it was called S.W. Optimist. Its long gone and has been for many years. It was a little south of S.W. 74th St. on S. Central.

andy157
08-12-2008, 05:33 PM

(subliminal message) hey general that locker handle perked my ears up hint hint!Jack Childers, Phillips. Am I close?

grantgeneral78
08-12-2008, 05:55 PM
Jack Childers, Phillips. Am I close?

WOW...that did not take long...it was actually him and his dads peewee childers and jack and yes was a phillips 66

Generals64
08-12-2008, 06:11 PM

(subliminal message) hey general that locker handle perked my ears up hint hint!

O.K. you're covered on the handle when we go to Coney island I'll bring you one.
Is that the old station where the welder is now? If so, you had to have asked someone for that one I just barely remember that.

Generals64
08-12-2008, 06:15 PM
ANDY:... who is telling you all the answers? You're not that old.......
1. Who was the first manager of the 74th T.G.&Y.?
2. Where were the two (2) DODSON'S CAFETERIAS?
3. When did the Reding Shopping Center Open?
4. What was the name of the hobby shop in Reding?
5. Where Was Jesse's?
Answer those...just about every southside kid worked at a T.G.& Y.

Generals64
08-12-2008, 06:34 PM
I'll have to call my dad on those. He's US Grant '58. I know there was an Apco Service Station at SW 65 and May where the current 7-11 is. Full service and they sold gallon containers of Bordens milk. There was a DX Service station at SW 74 and May. My dad was friends with the owner who apparently was a star athlete at Grant or Capitol Hill?? What year did the kid get stabbed at Grant. I remember as a kid that was a huge deal and scared me to death.
I think Camp Kickapoo sits on County Line Rd around SW 102?? I know I got my hand messed up pretty bad in a Cub Scouts Tug O War there, probably around 1968 or 1969.
Wonder if I could still sue the Cub Scouts, Camp Kickapoo, and the rope mfg? Just kidding. This is an enjoyable thread, keep it going!!
Hey:.................
Mr. Daugherty owned a champlin Station on 59th and May...He had two sons and a daughter. One of his sons is sometimes on this thread. Both boys were fireman...

1. One of the earlier science teachers at Grant (many years ago) got a lot at Cedar Lake donated to Grant's Science club. The guys spent numerous week-ends getting the trees and brush cleared, the lot sparkled then, the teacher would only take the girls down there HMMMMMM.
2. Gene Wade won the original (North side) Cattlemen's in a dice game..Threw a hard six (2-3's). The part most of you might remember is the new side.
3. I was in the eighth grade when the Armour plant blew. It was as loud or louder than the Murrah building.
4. Tracy Norwood was the old football coach in the late 50's early 60's. We actual won a bunch of games back then.

grantgeneral78
08-12-2008, 06:48 PM
5. Where Was Jesse's?
Answer those...just about every southside kid worked at a T.G.& Y.

just know of the one dodsons and am cluless on the rest

Generals64
08-12-2008, 07:41 PM
just know of the one dodsons and am cluless on the rest

1. H.O. Price was the first Store Manager at 74th st. We started putting the fixtures together in the original store on June 4th, 1964.
2. There was a Dodson's Cafeteria in Reding and at 59th & Penn.
3. Hobby Shop was Doncene's...They had it all...from 45's (rpm) to gasoline powered airplane. They had a model car contest going on all the time.
4. Reding shopping center opened 1955. John Kennedy came there during his campaign for President in 1960.
5. Jesse's was off of 13th and Walker....Ladies of the night, outlaw Whiskey and plenty of Trouble.

Generals64
08-12-2008, 07:54 PM
This is fun......I've got to quit and go to work (that's what my wife said)...

1. Can you guys name any of the old car dealerships in OKC area.? like what was the name of the old Pontiac Dealer? Or the Plymouth dealer across from the old jail.
2. How about grade school mascot names?.....Arthur, Coolidge, Fillmore, Rancho Village, John Adams, Rockwood, Jackson, Roosevelt, Jefferson, Capitol Hill Jr. High yes, there was one and it's still there (Middle school).
4. What was Grant's fight song?
5. What class (year) and name of teacher wrote Grant's Alma Mater?
6. What class donated the cannon?
7. Can you tell the name of the first heavy weight wrestling champ from grant (High School)? His trophy was in the hall trophy case by the gym until the school was torn down. It is probably in the trophy area at the new school.
8. Did you know there was a time capsule buried in front of the school and it was not dug up?
9. One of Grant's former vice-principals was at one Superintendent of OKC schools.
10. If you guys want to meet for a coney hot dog some saturday I'll bring some of the Old Grant Reporter newspapers......They are quite unique.
11. How about where was the "SMOKING AREA" designated at Grant? Both kids and teachers...........

see ya next time:................

grantgeneral78
08-12-2008, 09:17 PM
1. jack clark crysler plymouth,scott chevrolet,kinda okc alan merrill chevy,bus horton ford, southwest ford,fred jones
2. jefferson statesman, grant generals,chapitol hill redskins, southeat spartans,jackson tigers,coolidge crockodiles,
4.fighton for us grant
8. OMG NO when was it buried and why is it not up?
10.sounds like a plan
11. court yard duhhhhhhhhh

grantgeneral78
08-12-2008, 09:19 PM
Mr. Usery.....who was he?

Prunepicker
08-12-2008, 09:33 PM
None of the above. Not sure what its name was. If I remember right it was called S.W. Optimist. Its long gone and has been for many years. It was a little south of S.W. 74th St. on S. Central.

Wasn't that called Metro Park?

Prunepicker
08-12-2008, 09:46 PM
This is fun......I've got to quit and go to work (that's what my wife said)...

1. Can you guys name any of the old car dealerships in OKC area.? like what was the name of the old Pontiac Dealer? Or the Plymouth dealer across from the old jail.
2. How about grade school mascot names?.....Arthur, Coolidge, Fillmore, Rancho Village, John Adams, Rockwood, Jackson, Roosevelt, Jefferson, Capitol Hill Jr. High yes, there was one and it's still there (Middle school).

1. Wasn't that Coker Dodge?

2. Coolidge Crocodiles, Adams Beavers, Filmore Falcons(?) Hillcrest Hornets, Sluggers & Hillbillies, Westwood Wranglers, Prairie Queen Schooners, St. James Giants, Garfield Gladiators...

4. The same as USC. Fight on for USG... That's all I ever knew

grantgeneral78
08-12-2008, 10:47 PM
FIGHT ON FOR US GRANT TO WIN OR LOOSE TO LOOSE OR WIN WE`LL ALWAYS DO OUR BEST TO MEET THE TEST SO LETS FIGHT ON FOR US GRANT FIGHT ON FOR US GRANT .......then it just starts again

andy157
08-13-2008, 01:18 PM
5. Where Was Jesse's?
Answer those...just about every southside kid worked at a T.G.& Y.No one. Been on the Southside 54 years. In the early 60s my parents ran a dry cleaners shop in Reding shopping center. It was next door to Fina's shoe repair shop, and Luttrel's barber shop. Do you remember those?

andy157
08-13-2008, 01:22 PM
Wasn't that called Metro Park?Could have been. I can't remember. I did good just to remember it's location.

Prunepicker
08-13-2008, 01:45 PM
5. Where Was Jesse's?

1. Didn't you tell us that you were the first manager?
5. I never knew, only heard about him. Where was it?

I never had a job until I was out of high school.

Prunepicker
08-13-2008, 01:47 PM
FIGHT ON FOR US GRANT TO WIN OR LOOSE TO LOOSE OR WIN WE`LL ALWAYS DO OUR BEST TO MEET THE TEST SO LETS FIGHT ON FOR US GRANT FIGHT ON FOR US GRANT .......then it just starts again

I'm trying to remember how we sang it.

Fight on for USG,
We had some beer,
and have to pee...

The rest is a blur.

Generals64
08-13-2008, 06:32 PM
Jack Clark Dodge
Chick Coker Pontiac
R.T. Scott (Scott Chevrolet)
Downtown Chevrolet
Fretwell's Chrysler/Plymouth:...........HUDIBURG CHEVROLET

Generals64
08-13-2008, 06:35 PM
You Bet:....
How about S&H Green Stamps...Emmer Brothers....Napolean Nash?.....Lerner's ...Otasco:.....Dodson's Cafeteria was in Reding:....Man, that was a good center.

See ya next time:.............

Generals64
08-13-2008, 06:38 PM
No, Mr. Price was the first manager there. I got to be the first to sweep that big ole building (with a oush broom). I started with T.G.&Y. in '62. Jesse's was off 13th and Walker (S.W.)...I managed the store at 59th/Penn. Ran the sporting goods dept at 411 for some time..... Good ole' days when times were bad...

Generals64
08-13-2008, 06:45 PM
1. Here's One...don't Remember Myself:.....who Played Count Gragor?:.....
2. What Year Did Koco Go Color Television And What Was The First Color Picture Shown On Television On Koco? Ida B (blackburn) Was The One To Moderate The Whole Thing.
3. Do You Know What Don Wallace's Last Name Really?
4. How About Old Southsider Conway Twitty (real Name)?
5. The Name Of The Drive Inn (not Theater) On The South Side Of 59/penn?

Generals64
08-13-2008, 07:04 PM
O.K., here are some you are going to have to have help one.
1. Where was the Boy/Cub Scout Jamboree held in OKC during the '50's-60's?
there was a circus also during this time that boy/Cub Scouts were the actors.
2. Where were most of the boxing Championships held in OKC in the 50's - 60's?
3. Where was Atlantic Mills located?
4. First McDonald's in OKC?
5. First good size indoor shopping Mall in OKC?

Go ahead, call your mom and dad......See Ya next time:...........

fire121
08-13-2008, 08:21 PM
3. SW 29 and May in the Grider's Bldg. Fresh popcorn??

Prunepicker
08-13-2008, 08:48 PM
Jack Clark Dodge
Chick Coker Pontiac
R.T. Scott (Scott Chevrolet)
Downtown Chevrolet
Fretwell's Chrysler/Plymouth:...........HUDIBURG CHEVROLET

It was Clark that was across from the jail. Scott was on Broadway, right?

Prunepicker
08-13-2008, 09:12 PM
1. Here's One... don't Remember Myself... who Played Count Gragor?:.....
2. What Year Did Koco Go Color Television And What Was The First Color Picture Shown On Television On Koco? Ida B (blackburn) Was The One To Moderate The Whole Thing.
3. Do You Know What Don Wallace's Last Name Really?
4. How About Old Southsider Conway Twitty (real Name)?
5. The Name Of The Drive Inn (not Theater) On The South Side Of 59/penn?

1. Ferguson. Was it John Ferguson? By the way, it's Gregore.
4. He lived on S. Villa. His daughter went to Hillcrest elementary. His band played at the Carnival at Hillcrest in the early 60's. I don't remember him playing, but he may have. Drove across his yard because it jutted out around 65th @ S. Villa.

Prunepicker
08-13-2008, 09:18 PM
You Bet:....
How about... Emmer Brothers....

When "A Chorus Line" came to the Civic Center in 1990 the director wanted us pit musicians to wear black, not a tux. I had this ugly black thing hanging in my closet that had Emmer Brother's label sewn on the inside pocket. It was probably from the 70's. When I came home after the first performance my wife said,"Don't you ever wear that in public again!"

I didn't.

Generals64
08-13-2008, 09:49 PM
O.K. Koco went color in 1964...first image was the american flag out front.
1. Don Wallace peterson
2. Harold Jenkins (Conway Twitty)
3. Hillcrest Drive Inn...It didn't las a real long time for Bus Horton began building and a Chinese food joint opened right there.
4. Chick Coker was on the corner of about 5th and Dewey....
5. Really thought Fretwell had the lot across from the old jail.
YOU GUYS FORGOT THE ARTHUR TIGERSHARKS......
SEE YA NEXT TIME:...................

dismayed
08-13-2008, 09:52 PM
OMG Rudy's! And Underwood's BBQ! I remember those. Underwood's made quite an impression on me. A few years ago I racked my brain trying to remember the name of that place and finally decided it was Underwoods. I found a place by the same name in Texas that used to be a franchise that had locations all across the area. I emailed them and the owner was nice enough to email me back. He said back at that time the business was actually split up amongst several of their family members. He swore up and down that they never had a store in Oklahoma though. I thought maybe it was just a coincidence, another nearby BBQ place named Underwood's but man this menu sure looks familiar....

Underwood's Cafeteria - UnderwoodsBBQ.com (http://www.underwoodsbbq.com/menu.htm)

grantgeneral78
08-14-2008, 01:02 PM
OMG Rudy's! And Underwood's BBQ! I remember those. Underwood's made quite an impression on me. A few years ago I racked my brain trying to remember the name of that place and finally decided it was Underwoods. I found a place by the same name in Texas that used to be a franchise that had locations all across the area. I emailed them and the owner was nice enough to email me back. He said back at that time the business was actually split up amongst several of their family members. He swore up and down that they never had a store in Oklahoma though. I thought maybe it was just a coincidence, another nearby BBQ place named Underwood's but man this menu sure looks familiar....

Underwood's Cafeteria - UnderwoodsBBQ.com (http://www.underwoodsbbq.com/menu.htm)
As i remember that is what the old menu looked like and the sign as well.

cindyl57
08-14-2008, 01:30 PM
2. Harold Jenkins (Conway Twitty)
Oh my Gosh...did not know that...He moved to Ranchwood Manor sometime in the late 60s early 70s as We lived on the other side of Santa Fe and I went to school with Joni...and my brother played little league with Jimmy...Joni and I were in choir together at Central Jr High...

Generals64
08-14-2008, 02:19 PM
Where on the other side of Sante Fe?...I taught Jimmy how to shoot a gun. I also knew their (Joni,Kathy,&Jimmy's) bother Mike?

grantgeneral78
08-14-2008, 04:06 PM
Who owned the barber shop on 59th and may int the shopping center where rudys was.

rememeber pizza inn on 59th and may also?

the old palm reader on 59th between villa and agnew.

the kodak booth at may and 59th and also 59th in fron of dodsons.

Generals64
08-14-2008, 05:49 PM
O.K., you got me on the barber shop. Pizza Inn was a pretty good pizza joint in its day. Last time I checked it was a daycare center. My father-in-law used to really like to go there for Pizza.

Palm Reader....Yep.........always wondered why people would have their palms read when all they needed to do was study their Bible. The future for everyone is there and it doesn't cost anything.

Koday Booths............Yep, you won't believe this but the guy that hauled them off asked if I wanted one of them...Didn't know what to do with it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Do you remember the pyramid scheme Koscot and Dare to be great? Wonder what happened to all of those Millionaires. After Across the street closed they used that area for a meeting place. Went to one meeting and it was so phony I got up and walked out during the meeting.

Generals64
08-14-2008, 06:00 PM

Didn't that restaurant become a Funeral Home and a Crematorium? What a coincidence......

Generals64
08-14-2008, 08:32 PM
[B]EVERYBODY ON THIS THREAD TAKE NOTICE:A WEEK FROM THIS COMING SATURDAY AT 12;30 let's all meet at the coney island in capitol Hill. Pay for your own meal but the memories you hear wil be priceless (or worthless), everyone tht\at can and will let me know so we can get the place set-up. I know, you're busy on saturday....but, you still eat lunch and guys be a cheap date......

EVERYONE READING THIS IS WELCOME TO BE THERE

let me know:...........see ya next time

grantgeneral78
08-14-2008, 08:44 PM
[B]EVERYBODY ON THIS THREAD TAKE NOTICE:A WEEK FROM THIS COMING SATURDAY AT 12;30 let's all meet at the coney island in capitol Hill. Pay for your own meal but the memories you hear wil be priceless (or worthless), everyone tht\at can and will let me know so we can get the place set-up. I know, you're busy on saturday....but, you still eat lunch and guys be a cheap date......

COUNT ME IN........:ou2

Prunepicker
08-14-2008, 08:44 PM
O.K., you got me on the barber shop. Pizza Inn was a pretty good pizza joint in its day. Last time I checked it was a daycare center. My father-in-law used to really like to go there for Pizza.

The Pizza Inn is still there. A friend mom took us there for the first after it opened. $1.59 all you can eat! I ate at least 2 pepperonis

Prunepicker
08-14-2008, 08:46 PM
I'll try to be there. I won't know until that morning.

FRISKY
08-15-2008, 09:48 AM
I will also try to make it to the get-together. I have hundreds of "Southside" stories and memories, but I type to slow to put them in print.

SoonerGirl26
08-15-2008, 10:43 AM

Sorry I can't be there, going to be out of town that weekend. But it does sound like a fun time. I just had my 40-year class reunion in June (SE class of '68) and have been on a nostalgic roll ever since!! Sounds like there are a lot of Grant grads in this thread. Any SE grads on here?

Generals64
08-15-2008, 11:49 AM
Sorry I can't be there, going to be out of town that weekend. But it does sound like a fun time. I just had my 40-year class reunion in June (SE class of '68) and have been on a nostalgic roll ever since!! Sounds like there are a lot of Grant grads in this thread. Any SE grads on here?

First of all why would anyone admit going to S.E.? (Just kidding)...You will be sorely missed as there will be some 67-68 Grant people there (supposed to be). I am proud to say that I knew Bobby and Kay Murcer as well as their parents and brothers DeWayne and Randy. My prayers will always be with them. Bobby was a good guy.....Se ya next time............

SoonerGirl26
08-15-2008, 12:07 PM
First of all why would anyone admit going to S.E.? (Just kidding)...You will be sorely missed as there will be some 67-68 Grant people there (supposed to be). I am proud to say that I knew Bobby and Kay Murcer as well as their parents and brothers DeWayne and Randy. My prayers will always be with them. Bobby was a good guy.....Se ya next time............

Gee, just like a Grant General...never giving up!! The rival still continues!!

Yes, I knew Bobby and Kay very well too. Kay's sister and I were cheerleaders at SE together and remain good friends today. Bobby's memorial service last week was very nice...a great tribute to him. You do have to admit that SE produced some really good athletes in it's day.

Generals64
08-15-2008, 01:50 PM
HEY, THE OWNER OF THE BARBER SHOP IS EITHER eNGLISH OR eNGLAND AND AFTER HE DIED, HIS WIFE TOOK OVER AND SHE IS STILL IN BUSINESS ON 44TH & MAY.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. WHERE WAS JIMMY DEAN'S RESTAURANT?
2. THE ORIGINAL NAME OF THE COUNTRY CLUB ON SOUTHSIDE?
3. THE ORIGINAL OWNERS OF ALMONTE (Al and Monte Goldman) what is their family most famous for???????

see ya next time:..............

proud2Bsooner
08-15-2008, 02:13 PM
Don't know if some of these have been mentioned:

McHenry's Restaurant near 59th and Western
The candy counter inside Sear's at 44th and Western was a favorite
Farrell's at Crossroads Mall
We used to eat at Del Rancho on 44th and Penn all the time
Stubbs Sporting Goods on Penn
The Lion's Share at 44th and Penn (was almost the same exact thing as Across the Street)
Longnecker's that was in the old Sirloin Stockade on 74th
August Moon on 74th and Penn
Big Ed's Hamburgers at 89th and Western (now it's a Chelino's)
Jim Dandy's Chicken 74th and Western (now a KFC)
Who could forget Harrigan's on 74th...no comparison between it and the northside one
Streets on 44th and Penn

Generals64
08-15-2008, 02:35 PM
1. Remember McHenry's....Candy has been mentioned several times
2. Don't remember Farrell's...DelRancho was a good one
3. Longnecker's...got confused with Fuddrucker's (same Hamburger joint)
4. August Moon...Isn't it still there? Big Ed's southside ..Ed used to hang out there.
5. Stubb's Sptg. goods....Nick Stubbs was a '64 graduate of Grant...Went through jr. and sr. high school with him and his wife.
6, Harrigan's R.I.P.:..would kill for their sirloin soup.....

Prunepicker
08-15-2008, 03:19 PM
2. THE ORIGINAL NAME OF THE COUNTRY CLUB ON SOUTHSIDE?.

2. Hillcrest Country Club We were members in the '60's. Buster let us fish in the ponds and pick up balls on the driving range for money.

SoonerGirl26
08-15-2008, 04:32 PM
More memories....

1. Robert Hall's - 55th & S. Western - used to buy prom dresses there
2. Kinney shoe store on S. Western - store is long gone, but last time I checked the huge sign outside was still there
3. When the "new luxury" apartments were built on 74th.....Grecian Gardens, Gardens of Madrid....and one more I can't remember the name of. ???
4. A&W's with those little plastic animals they put on your cup
5. Cloud 9 - a little coke place at 52 & Shields
6. Spartan's Drive-In next to SE high school.
7. 77 Drive-in movies "way out" out on Shields
8. Dancing on Ronnie Kaye's "The Scene" on Saturday mornings.
9. Sussy's Pizza at 24th & Robinson
10. Capitol Hill Hospital - is the building still there?
11. Senior pictures taken at John A. Brown's
12. Tiny hamburger place at 26 & Walker....like a little trailer...it's still there.
13. Peyton-Marcus store on 25th
14. George Turner grocery store at 53 & Byers
15. Murcer's Jewelry inside the big TG&Y store
16. Mr. Gatti's on SW 59

And remember from the 60's....
a. When we wore "drops" from our boyfriends
b. Dr. Kildare and Ben Casey shirts
c. Twiggy dresses
d. Weejuns penny loafers
e. Pulling the "loops" off of the back of guys shirts
f. Chinese jump ropes made with rubber bands
g. Gum wrapper chains
h. And I dare say....anyone remember the "wob"??????

FRISKY
08-15-2008, 05:32 PM
Wow! This thread is causing my brain to go into remembrance overload. I had forgotten how good the times were back then.

Like Bob Hope used to say, "Thanks for the memories."

Generals64
08-15-2008, 06:27 PM
Hey, What Happened?

1. Atlantic Mills was located on 29th & May where Grider's is now, Spartan's store
was across from the Fair Ground...They merged spartan/Atlantic.
2. Boy Scout Jamboree was held at the old Stockyards Coliseum along with the
boy/Cub Scout Circus.
3. Boxing championships were held in the Big Building in the Public Market.
4. First McDonald's in OKC was on twenty-ninth on the south side east of the
Economy Square shopping center.
5. Besides Shepard Mall, there was a inside mall in Capitol Hill...On the south side of
25th street next to the Knob Hill Theater. To you kids, that movie theater is now
home of the Oklahoma Opry.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Soonergirl, since you went to Southeast. Do you remember the Spartan getting painted Green when you naw:...........you're not that old.........Show you how smart kids are, a bunch of the football players, cheerleaders etc. painted you spartan, threw SIGNED bulletins all over South east. Of course, being signed meant getting caught......The only first string player that didn't go was the only one allowed to play that friday night....You guys beat us pitifully (54-6).....so, don't brag about painting Grant's cannon....It didn't show until spring of 1965.

Have a good time when you are not there to protect your school at the Coney Island..............see ya next time....

dismayed
08-15-2008, 08:32 PM
You guys are making me hungry. Anyone else remember those rolls at Harrigan's? Mmmmm.

I was just a kid at the time but I have a vague memory of a restaurant shaped like a windmill on I-240. I think it may have been called Zeider Zee?

I miss the old A&W on... I think it was 89th.

Wasn't there a Diary Queen around 59th and May at one point?

I have a very vague memory of when Capitol Hill was still in its hey day. I remember my parents taking me down there and I can vividly remember the flower shop that was down there... I remember the smell of roses and the cold, cold refrigerated air from the place. I also seem to remember window shopping... clothing stores, meat markets, etc.

Okay, can someone help me out with something. When I was really little I remember my parents driving "way up" May Ave. to the original Grider's and on the way back home we would always pass this neon sign that had motion to it of a kangaroo hopping over something. Maybe a lock? Anyone have any idea what this might be?

Anyone else remember looking for "the KTOK diamond" in Early Wine Park?

Oh wow that makes me think of Captain Perdue in Red Rover, over. Now that's something I haven't thought of in years.

grantgeneral78
08-15-2008, 08:48 PM
Ok yall are bringing back some memories again, and it is all SOONERGIRL26 fault.

1.the plastic animals on the sonic cups and I had those things lined up like a small circus on my sunvisors and winshield trim.
2.the McDonald straw chains you made by whittling them with your teeth into a big slinky type curls.
3.the baby a&w mugs everyone snuck off with.(of course I never did)
4.driving out of sonic with the metal tray still hung on the outside of the car window (thought everyone was waving at me..not the tray)
5.Rushing to get the new ....EAGLES HOTEL CALIFORNIA 8 TRACK TAPE.
6. THE TRUST HOUSE JEWELERS and the ALAN MERRILL comercial....(thats when you knew you were sneeking in late from a date)
7.And MARK SPITZ was king

GO U.S.A.!!!!!!!

grantgeneral78
08-15-2008, 09:01 PM
Just remembered few other little things, remember when you got your class ring you had to wear it to where you could read it during your junior year and you turned it so everyone could read it during the senior year.

then groups were divided inside grant you were either a DOPER, GOAT ROPER,PREPPY,JOCKS OR EINSTEIN.

PEP ASSEMBLYS those were something else.

SoonerGirl26
08-15-2008, 11:13 PM
Soonergirl, since you went to Southeast. Do you remember the Spartan getting painted Green when you naw:...........you're not that old.........Show you how smart kids are, a bunch of the football players, cheerleaders etc. painted you spartan, threw SIGNED bulletins all over South east. Of course, being signed meant getting caught......The only first string player that didn't go was the only one allowed to play that friday night....You guys beat us pitifully (54-6).....so, don't brag about painting Grant's cannon....It didn't show until spring of 1965.

Have a good time when you are not there to protect your school at the Coney Island..............see ya next time....

You probably forgot that SE was a Jr.-Sr. High back then. I went to SE from 7th grade thru 12th. We beat Grant 54-6 in the fall of 1963...my 8th grade year. Bobby Murcer scored 3 of those touchdowns. No, I won't be there to protect my school next Saturday, so don't talk about us too much!! You'll have to schedule another one.