View Full Version : Southside OKC Memories....anyone?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58

grantgeneral78
01-31-2009, 10:32 PM
WOW! Thanks 78. Technology is great!!!

Your welcome brother, believe me took me a while to find that sucker myself when i first got on this puter

DaveSkater
02-01-2009, 12:10 AM
I had some fun at the Almonte back in the 80's. heh....

(fun as in picking up chicks, getting in fights, and coppin a DUI when I was 17)

Good times!

grantgeneral78
02-01-2009, 04:18 AM
I had some fun at the Almonte back in the 80's. heh....

(fun as in picking up chicks, getting in fights, and coppin a DUI when I was 17)

Good times!

Did you live southside DaveSkater? where did you go to school at?..Yeah at one time Almonte was a very busy place to go to.

grantgeneral78
02-01-2009, 04:26 AM
I woke up this morning with a old commercial going through my mind, does anyone remember the old gene williams chevrolet sign off sloagon on his commercials? I do and cannot get it out of my head now.

http://www.barkbarkwoofwoof.com/Chevy%20Vega%2012-05-05.jpg

MonkeyBiz6903
02-01-2009, 04:30 AM
What the Old Prairie Field out in south town?

MonkeyBiz6903
02-01-2009, 04:33 AM
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Si' Senor':...............actually it was next door to Van's Automotive. South side of 29th....

64 is right. We stopped in their everytime we drove to Van's. Had the best Ice cream sandwiches. Anyone Remember Dennis Donuts on sw. 29? Dozen for .60 cents.

USG '60
02-01-2009, 07:05 AM
Most of us remember when they were 50 cents with home delivery.

Generals64
02-01-2009, 01:08 PM
64 is right. We stopped in their everytime we drove to Van's. Had the best Ice cream sandwiches. Anyone Remember Dennis Donuts on sw. 29? Dozen for .60 cents.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Used to sell them door-to-door.....50 cents a dozen, 3/1.00...probably before your time....I sold so many of those things it was ridiculous.

USG '60
02-01-2009, 01:40 PM
Hey, '64, I saw in the paper today where Al Waintroob died. I knew him back when he had Waintroob's on Commerce and then I worked for him when he had the Men's Dept at AMC. But I saw today that he had gone into your business and I was wondering if you knew him. He was one of those who had a gruff front but was really very nice. I liked him a lot.

gen70
02-01-2009, 02:52 PM
Did you live southside DaveSkater? where did you go to school at?..Yeah at one time Almonte was a very busy place to go to.

I saw Animal House there when it first came out.

grantgeneral78
02-01-2009, 03:38 PM
What the Old Prairie Field out in south town?

Close enough Monkey, it was: THE OLD PRARIE FIELD IN MOORE OKLAHOMA

grantgeneral78
02-01-2009, 03:41 PM
Does anyone know of any archive videos of Alan Merrill Chevrolet, or old ads in papers. I bought a brand new 1977 chevy short bed truck from him, inline 6 and 3 on the tree. got it for $3495.00....Man the good ole days!

Generals64
02-01-2009, 06:23 PM
Does anyone know of any archive videos of Alan Merrill Chevrolet, or old ads in papers. I bought a brand new 1977 chevy short bed truck from him, inline 6 and 3 on the tree. got it for $3495.00....Man the good ole days!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It wounds like the "Mexican Market" is not as good as it seemed. God noght and God Bless....

Generals64
02-01-2009, 06:29 PM
Hey '78 I notice there is an OSU player in the Super Bowl....OU????

danielf1935
02-01-2009, 07:32 PM
I recently bought several old Capitol Hill High Schools year books at an estate sale, if anyone is interested in them let me know.

Years---1954,55,56,57,59,60,61,64

grantgeneral78
02-02-2009, 05:08 AM
Hey '78 I notice there is an OSU player in the Super Bowl....OU????

Yeah I knew Antonia Smith was from osu and with arizona....but such is the case when he was with ou....he just cannot seem to win the "big one"

BOOMER SOONER!

grantgeneral78
02-02-2009, 05:09 AM
with osu grrrr

Generals64
02-02-2009, 07:23 AM
Hey '78....thought I would rub it in did you know tht a GRANT GENERAL is NOW the DEFENSIVE coach at OSU....???Billy Young graduated from Grant in 1964...
...Divided house around my place...the wife is a fanatic for OSU...I'll stay with Stoops and you guys....My wife used to teach Frank Romero (OU Lineman during the 2000 championship)...Good kid...but, boy is he big....See ya:......

Rickster
02-02-2009, 11:36 AM
I recently bought several old Capitol Hill High Schools year books at an estate sale, if anyone is interested in them let me know.

Years---1954,55,56,57,59,60,61,64

I'm looking for a '69 and/or '70.

grantgeneral78
02-02-2009, 03:31 PM
Hey '78....thought I would rub it in did you know tht a GRANT GENERAL is NOW the DEFENSIVE coach at OSU....???Billy Young graduated from Grant in 1964...
...Divided house around my place...the wife is a fanatic for OSU...I'll stay with Stoops and you guys....My wife used to teach Frank Romero (OU Lineman during the 2000 championship)...Good kid...but, boy is he big....See ya:......

Yeah us sooner fans have to rally up the troops.....remember bubba burcham who played for OU he went to school with my nephew in mustang.

Generals64
02-02-2009, 05:53 PM
Hey, here's a good... one I'm going to post it on the TG&Y thread also. We have talked about the Easter Egg Drop in previous conversations. Well, one year the higher ups at TG&Y decided (74th & Penn) to DROP TURKEYS.....Yep, that's what I said...DROP TURKEYS for Thanksgiving. Thinking this would really be cool....Pen Raised Turkeys don't know how to fly very well....Some flew enough not to go "SPLAT" on the parking lot and some didn't.....Gosh, that was a mess..Turkey's were all over the neighborhood....And the Parking Lot.

Or, how many of you guys from the Southside remember TG&Y (74th & Penn) having an outdoor Rodeo for 89ers Day???? that was fun....

Prunepicker
02-02-2009, 06:16 PM
Or, how many of you guys from the Southside remember TG&Y (74th & Penn)
having an outdoor Rodeo for 89ers Day? that was fun...

I don't. I was big on 89ers Day. Don't know how it got missed.

angel27
02-02-2009, 06:48 PM
Hey, have you guys been catching the shows on PBS lately. "The Oklahoma I Remember" was nicely done and I kept thinking about you guys as I watched it. The music of the 50's and 60's, DooWop music, Elvis' gospel and others are coming up. check it out if you havn't done so already.

Generals64
02-02-2009, 07:07 PM
Hey, have you guys been catching the shows on PBS lately. "The Oklahoma I Remember" was nicely done and I kept thinking about you guys as I watched it. The music of the 50's and 60's, DooWop music, Elvis' gospel and others are coming up. check it out if you havn't done so already.
Angel 27:....you were there for the Rodeo, Remember????We had a great time that week-end....Tim Holt was there and so many others for the promotion.

MrCrwth
02-02-2009, 07:10 PM
What year was that?

as far as i know it was from 1939 to the end of the war. many of the prisoners cam back to become US citizens.

grantgeneral78
02-03-2009, 05:07 AM
as far as i know it was from 1939 to the end of the war. many of the prisoners cam back to become US citizens.

That is a interesting piece of OKC history not many know of, including myself.

Generals64
02-03-2009, 06:00 AM
That is a interesting piece of OKC history not many know of, including myself.

One of the MOST noticeable prisoner of war camps in this area is located right off I-35 just north of Gainesville. you can see three (3) water towers from the highway on the West side of the road. Then, there is a small German town west on highway 82 by the name of Meunster, Texas.....Good....No GREAT German food in that town...Super nice people....

grantgeneral78
02-03-2009, 07:00 AM
One of the MOST noticeable prisoner of war camps in this area is located right off I-35 just north of Gainesville. you can see three (3) water towers from the highway on the West side of the road. Then, there is a small German town west on highway 82 by the name of Meunster, Texas.....Good....No GREAT German food in that town...Super nice people....

I know this is a little off subject but where is the best german food in OKC?

danielf1935
02-03-2009, 07:05 AM
Ingrid's Kitchen @ NW 36th and Youngs

gen70
02-03-2009, 07:16 AM
I posted this in the Moore forum with no results,so I'd like to ask if any of you guy's remember a little mexican restaurant on the E.side of 35 and about a block S. of 12th st. right off the service rd. called Moore's Little Mexico? It was some kinda good.

Prunepicker
02-03-2009, 09:49 AM
One of the MOST noticeable prisoner of war camps in this area is located right off
I-35 just north of Gainesville. you can see three (3) water towers from the
highway on the West side of the road. Then, there is a small German town west
on highway 82 by the name of Meunster, Texas... Good... No GREAT German food
in that town... Super nice people....

I've seen a sign about Meunster, maybe a festival or something of the like, but
we've never stopped.

Redskins/General
02-03-2009, 02:11 PM
Meunster Texas, has the best Pastry's around, little convenience store on southside of hi-way 82 just as you hit town is a combination service station, convenience store and pastry shop. Fischer's German Super Market has about the best meat you can buy. I once counted 16 people working in the butcher shop and meat counter. Try to get by there about twice a year......Lindsay, Tx just east of Meunster has the good German food....But then again, I don't like German food.

Generals64
02-03-2009, 02:56 PM
I know this is a little off subject but where is the best german food in OKC?
It's is in Moore on South Sooner Road about 134th st. A little pricey but mega good. Old Style German food...If you like German food it's well worth the trip. In OKC there is one on N.W. 23rd/Council on the west side of the road in a strip center that is very good....

Generals64
02-03-2009, 02:59 PM
I've seen a sign about Meunster, maybe a festival or something of the like, but
we've never stopped.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well worth the trip buddy....True Dark German beer...and German food...I think....after the beers it really doesn't matter.....No, it's really good. That is unique part of the country that a lot of people don't go into. Another GREAT place to eat is in a small Texas town (Ponder) just off I35W.....Like you're headed to Ft. Worth......About 6 miles S. of Denton and three miles west...Super great Steakhouse.......

Prunepicker
02-03-2009, 05:53 PM
It's is in Moore on South Sooner Road about 134th st. A little pricey but mega
good. Old Style German food... If you like German food it's well worth the trip. In
OKC there is one on N.W. 23rd/Council on the west side of the road in a strip
center that is very good...

The place on N. Council is called Oma's. They serve sandwiches. I wasn't aware
they served German food. It's more of a European grocery with canned food
and candy.

When did you eat there?

Rickster
02-03-2009, 06:17 PM
I've been to one German restaurant on S. Sooner road and it's ok. I was stationed in Germany from '73 to '78. Personally I like Old Germany Restaurant out on SE 29th. Alittle pricey but very good food. The most authentic I've seen around here.

Prunepicker
02-03-2009, 06:28 PM
The Keller in the Castle, @ NW 8th and MacArthur is very good. I've eaten there
a couple of times. It's not cheap, but good food rarely is.

I like rotkohl, the red cabbage side dish. Mom used to make it and I still do.

Generals64
02-03-2009, 06:31 PM
The place on N. Council is called Oma's. They serve sandwiches. I wasn't aware
they served German food. It's more of a European grocery with canned food
and candy.

When did you eat there?
----------------------------------------------------------------
Been A While...just thought it was good...Me, I'm a Hot Dog and Chili kinda guy.
Plus Brocolli and Green Beans.....Had to say that the wife might read this post.

Prunepicker
02-03-2009, 06:58 PM
Been A While...just thought it was good... Me, I'm a Hot Dog and Chili kinda guy.
Plus Broccoli and Green Beans... Had to say that the wife might read this post.

Hot dogs & chili! I like them by themselves or together. Either way you get both
food groups i.e. meat and bread.

I find that broccoli, green beans and vegetables get in the way of the food.

grantgeneral78
02-03-2009, 07:24 PM
I guess we need to try some german food, can`t say as I ever have eaten any before. Might be a good experience, what should we order and what is it?

Generals64
02-03-2009, 08:32 PM
I guess we need to try some german food, can`t say as I ever have eaten any before. Might be a good experience, what should we order and what is it?

Start off with a LARGE pitcher of DARK GERMAN BEER and then you really don't care what it is......

Prunepicker
02-03-2009, 08:33 PM
I guess we need to try some german food, can`t say as I ever have eaten any
before. Might be a good experience, what should we order and what is it?

Wiener Schnitzel! It's like a chicken fried steak only it's pork, sometimes it's veal.
Normally, German meals are served with fried potatoes and sauerkraut. I always
ask for the cooked red cabbage.

Sauerbraten is good, too. It's marinated roast beef.

Prunepicker
02-03-2009, 08:45 PM
Start off with a LARGE pitcher of DARK GERMAN BEER and then you really don't
care what it is...

I'm starting to understand our friends on this forum... This explains a lot of
things...

:LolLolLol

Generals64
02-03-2009, 08:51 PM
I'm starting to understand our friends on this forum... This explains a lot of
things...

:LolLolLol
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I lived in Central Texas for 10 years.....Right in the heart of German country. I have tried just about everything they ate....Then the Czech community would show up with something new.....NOTHING beats a Sausage rold dipped in HOT Mustard and then topped off with the nectar of Texas (Lone Star) and an apricot Kolache...Right Red/Gen?....I have always liked the German food
but you can only stand so much Sauerkraut before breaking out the Zantac...Weiner Schneitzel is Great and I do like the Boilde Red Cabbage with Summer Brat cooked in it...The once again the Nectar...you get the message...

Generals64
02-03-2009, 08:53 PM
Hey Pruner:......Have you every Tried "Boiled" Peanuts????I know this is off the thread but boy that stuff is "NASTY".....I thought they were recalling "Boiled Peanuts" hear last week.....I was told that it tasted like Black-eyed Peas.....Someone had tooooooooo much Lone Star.....Whew........

Prunepicker
02-03-2009, 09:11 PM
Then the Czech community would show up with something new... NOTHING beats
a Sausage rold dipped in HOT Mustard and then topped off with the nectar of
Texas (Lone Star) and an apricot Kolache... Right Red/Gen? I have always liked
the German food but you can only stand so much Sauerkraut before breaking out
the Zantac... Weiner Schneitzel is Great and I do like the Boiled Red Cabbage with
Summer Brat cooked in it... The once again the Nectar... you get the message...

Prunette and I try to make the Czech Festival in Prague. Those Kolaches are
very good.

We get the message :gossip:

grantgeneral78
02-03-2009, 09:20 PM
start off with a large pitcher of dark german beer and then you really don't care what it is......

oooookkkkkkk!!

grantgeneral78
02-03-2009, 09:22 PM
Wiener Schnitzel! It's like a chicken fried steak only it's pork, sometimes it's veal.
Normally, German meals are served with fried potatoes and sauerkraut. I always
ask for the cooked red cabbage.

Sauerbraten is good, too. It's marinated roast beef.

MAN! that sounds tasty, I will try the cabbage also...one thing I do hate....brussell sprouts...ewwwwww

grantgeneral78
02-03-2009, 09:24 PM
what was the name of theoptician that used to be under the GRIDERS SIGN -on 29th out in the front parking lot, and where is he now?

grantgeneral78
02-03-2009, 09:27 PM
reminded me of something else....remember conley drug on 29th west of may avenue....man he had some stuff that would fix you right up! KAODENE...remember what that was for? sure you do!

Prunepicker
02-03-2009, 09:31 PM
]
Hey Pruner... Have you every Tried "Boiled" Peanuts?

Someone had tooooooooo much Lone Star... Whew...

Hey, I make them regularly! Prunette and I like them. It's a southern thing.

Prunepicker
02-03-2009, 09:36 PM
what was the name of the optician that used to be under the GRIDERS SIGN -on
29th out in the front parking lot, and where is he now?

I believe you mean optometrist. That would have been John Lawton. He was
one odd duck! I don't know where he is.

Now I'm thinking... Somebody by the name of Christoper? At any rate, there's a
great story from the 60's about that place. They didn't pay their electric bill. It was
in the winter, too. Back in those days opticians still used wooden trays. Well,
two of the guys that worked there made a fire in the back to keep warm.

The name will come to me... but not now.

grantgeneral78
02-04-2009, 05:16 AM
I believe you mean optometrist. That would have been John Lawton. He was
one odd duck! I don't know where he is.

Now I'm thinking... Somebody by the name of Christoper? At any rate, there's a
great story from the 60's about that place. They didn't pay their electric bill. It was
in the winter, too. Back in those days opticians still used wooden trays. Well,
two of the guys that worked there made a fire in the back to keep warm.

The name will come to me... but not now.

Yeah that was what I meant thanks for correcting me.

Generals64
02-04-2009, 07:41 AM
Hey, I make them regularly! Prunette and I like them. It's a southern thing.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
You guys are weird.....I stopped in Hattiesburg, Mississippi one time and the lady there told me she sold close to 1,000 pounds of those things a day during the season.......Someone must be feeding the hogs......

Generals64
02-04-2009, 12:40 PM
Yeah that was what I meant thanks for correcting me.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey, if you get a chance take lady77 to eat at the Italian Restaurant just to the north of Capitol Hill Florist...I think it's called Vista Italian....You wouldn't notice it or give it a second chance if you didn't know.....Mega good eats there.....

gen70
02-04-2009, 01:55 PM
Boiled peanuts suck!!! Also, there used to be a German restaurant just a little E.of blackwelder and on the N.side of 59th in a little strip shopping center. It was alright.

Martin
02-04-2009, 02:01 PM
i think it's called vista italian

just a bit north of 59th & western... it's called bella vista.

-M

Generals64
02-04-2009, 02:46 PM
just a bit north of 59th & western... it's called bella vista.

-M
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You've been there....boy, I think I'll take the wife there tonight....Their Salad Dressing is to die for and the Lasagne reminds me of Nicolosis's.....Are you a Southsider mmmm? Help us out with some of your memories....

Prunepicker
02-04-2009, 04:41 PM
You guys are weird... I stopped in Hattiesburg, Mississippi one time and the lady
there told me she sold close to 1,000 pounds of those things a day during the
season... Someone must be feeding the hogs...

HEY! You don't feed hogs a delicacy like bol'd peanuts. Them is good eats.

You call something that looks like body waste a nectar and call bol'd peanuts
hog food... Sumpin' jes' ain't right here...

Martin
02-04-2009, 05:09 PM
you've been there....boy, i think i'll take the wife there tonight....their salad dressing is to die for and the lasagne reminds me of nicolosis's.

the place doesn't look like much, but bella vista serves up some pretty good homestyle italian. i usually get their chicken parmesan. i need to try their pizza sometime.

are you a southsider mmmm? help us out with some of your memories....

sure am... but since i was born in '77, most of my fond memories are from the early to mid 80's... but here goes.

of course the tg&y on 74th & penn is up there. before the current days of the big box retailer, that place was huge without comparison. two things stick out the most for me. one, the ramps between the various sections of the store... loved to run up and down those. two, for whatever reason i remember the model car section... seems to me that it was against the back wall somewhere... to a little kid it seemed like it went from floor to ceiling.

in that same strip, there was crystal's. went to & had several birthday parties there... don't seem to remember the infamous moose head everyone is talking about though!

there's a private school over on 64th & shields... used to be a church. was the first place i ever went.

i remember when nino's used to be something special and would actually be packed. that's where we usually ate tex-mex. they had this podium that they used for years that had this carved mexican dude with a sombrero. the coolest thing, though, was that next to the cash register was this mint dispenser that had a 'slot machine' arm.

as good as nino's was, cocina de mino over on 29th & stiles(?) was the place to go... i think that was the first tex-mex restaurant i went to that served queso and flour tortillas... at the time that felt like first class.

another big change is all the neighborhood movie theatres we used to have... southpark on 44th & may. almonte on 59th & may. reding on 36th & western. park twin on 59th and western. the movie theatre in the south shields mall before it turned into a dollar movies... there used to be so many places to go.

speaking of having more choices... how about all the grocery stores we used to have? ted's. rudy's. buchanan's. several iga's. walnut creek shopping center had a grocery. 74th & shields had a grocery. wasn't there a grocery where tg&y was in southern hills? 74th & walker had a grocery... it was a couple things prior, but i remember that one first as mccartney's... instead of lugging your groceries out to your car yourself, you'd take a numbered card, drive up to a special covered lane out front and your groceries would slide out on this conveyer belt where an employee would take your number and put your groceries in the trunk... nothing like that these days...

speaking of service... i remember the gulf station on 74th and western... there's a pawn shop there now... that gas station used to be full service. this old guy would pump the gas for you. he tended this rose bush on the property and would cut off a rose for each of his lady customers, my mom included... again nothing like that these days...

that's probably enough nostalgia out of me! -M