View Full Version : Southside OKC Memories....anyone?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58

Rickster
01-28-2009, 06:45 PM
here is a tune that ate a hole in my brain back in the day....whatever happened to this guy?

YouTube - Tall Paul Meade "Drivin" commcercial from 1980 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTjbb3bqqLs&feature=related)

Hey, those are the two guys that played at Crystal's Pizza all the time. They played that atleast twice a night. Their only claim to fame I believe.

grantgeneral78
01-28-2009, 06:54 PM
Hey, those are the two guys that played at Crystal's Pizza all the time. They played that atleast twice a night. Their only claim to fame I believe.

Wow I never knew that. But since you mentioned it those voices do sound very familiar from crystals.

Prunepicker
01-28-2009, 07:41 PM
Who produced those ads? Were they done locally?

grantgeneral78
01-28-2009, 07:55 PM

speaking of crystals..

http://www.fortworthyesterday.com/Crystals-nite-1978.jpg

Rickster
01-28-2009, 08:23 PM
I don't know who produced them. I just know those were the guys that sang the jingle and they wanted everyone to know it. I did like listening to them though.

Generals64
01-29-2009, 06:58 AM
All right, Now you guys have left the "Old Timers" in the dark. My only claim to fame with Crystals is taking my KIDS there for pizza an I have the Moose from Crystal's hanging over my fireplace.....He can't sing so I don't know but have you guys got the memories of the Bait House at Lake Overholser? the Great Hamburgers they used to sell and the wonderful Minnows:.ajust kiddin' I think "Cabin Fever" has finally set in....I'm going to work if I have to get out the old Cushman.....see ya next time....Thanks for the memories....

FRISKY
01-29-2009, 07:10 AM
Was the "Bait House" the place on the east side of Overholster next to the ranger station, or the bar at the NE corner of the lake?

MonkeyBiz6903
01-29-2009, 08:13 AM
They both were bait houses. The "bar" was J.B.& Geneva Ferrell's, they had great burgers. The one next to the ranger station was Elmer's then Daves and I forget who else's. Elmer made the best home made chilli you ever ate.

danielf1935
01-29-2009, 09:22 AM
The Bar/Bait House on the East side of Lake Overholser @ NW 39th was Pauline's.

Prunepicker
01-29-2009, 11:33 AM
I have the Moose from Crystal's hanging over my fireplace... He can't sing...

If moose could talk...

... the Bait House at Lake Overholser? the Great Hamburgers they used to sell
and the wonderful Minnows...

Ah yes, the Lake Holdhercloser bait house. That was a good place. Burgers
with a side of minnows. One day the girl working the bait and grill filled a man's
minnow bucket and proceeded to start dressing the burgers. She didn't wash
her hands.

ACK!

...I'm going to work if I have to get out the old Cushman...

Prunette and I are woking on getting tires for the '31 Model A. I'd like to take it
to one of the get togethers. Maybe this summer.

gen70
01-29-2009, 11:56 AM
All right, Now you guys have left the "Old Timers" in the dark. My only claim to fame with Crystals is taking my KIDS there for pizza an I have the Moose from Crystal's hanging over my fireplace.....He can't sing so I don't know but have you guys got the memories of the Bait House at Lake Overholser? the Great Hamburgers they used to sell and the wonderful Minnows:.ajust kiddin' I think "Cabin Fever" has finally set in....I'm going to work if I have to get out the old Cushman.....see ya next time....Thanks for the memories....

Hey 64! Mind if I ask how you obtained the moose head?

MonkeyBiz6903
01-29-2009, 12:07 PM
The Bar/Bait House on the East side of Lake Overholser @ NW 39th was Pauline's.

Was Pauline's after J.B. died from diabetes. First they took off one leg, then the next. Next thing he's dead. He was kinda cranky, had ole time juke box that bubbled. Had it turned around backwards cause he couldnt handle the noise. My grandma said the got bust for making burgers out of rabbit and squirrel meat. I dont know if was true of not.

grantgeneral78
01-29-2009, 06:40 PM
Prunette and I are woking on getting tires for the '31 Model A. I'd like to take it
to one of the get togethers. Maybe this summer.[/QUOTE]

Yeah Picker you have to bring that.....those are very cool.

gen70
01-30-2009, 08:29 AM
Where's everybody at? Did ya'll lose power over there?

grantgeneral78
01-30-2009, 08:56 AM
Where's everybody at? Did ya'll lose power over there?

No the lights are still on here!

gen70
01-30-2009, 09:00 AM

Just wondered, Saw where ya'll got some bad weather and no one was on the board.

grantgeneral78
01-30-2009, 09:44 AM
Just wondered, Saw where ya'll got some bad weather and no one was on the board.

Nah they must all have jobs....sheesh

grantgeneral78
01-30-2009, 09:45 AM
here is one...remember neptunes on south penn...dang i miss there sandwiches

gen70
01-30-2009, 10:46 AM
Nah they must all have jobs....sheesh

Yeah! not doing the job thing right now myself...taking it easy for awhile, and I do remember Neptunes. Are they still around?

MonkeyBiz6903
01-30-2009, 11:59 AM
Yeah! not doing the job thing right now myself...taking it easy for awhile, and I do remember Neptunes. Are they still around?

There's one at 3301 N. Classen. Think its the only one left.

Prunepicker
01-30-2009, 12:08 PM

You have lights?

Prunepicker
01-30-2009, 12:09 PM

That used to be Quick's. I hung out there a lot.

Generals64
01-30-2009, 12:51 PM
Hey 64! Mind if I ask how you obtained the moose head?

My best friend son found it in a dumpster when they began tearing down and remodeling Crystals. He got it out and didn't know what to do....We had just built a new house and my wife (infinite wisdom) wanted a Moose for over the fireplace....I looked everywhere for one and found out he had this one and the chase began. our Fireplace has a large enough mantel to handle a Moose...So, there it is....It's gotta be 50 + years old however......Still looks good....

grantgeneral78
01-30-2009, 03:44 PM
[QUOTE=Prunepicker;196585]You have lights?[/QUOT

yeah Picker the wife made me get rid ofthe candles...said I was careless....go figure you burn a few so called decorator pieces....nuff said!

:bright_id

grantgeneral78
01-30-2009, 03:46 PM

MAN O MAN!!... Are they the same sandwiches if so I am so there.

Redskins/General
01-30-2009, 04:01 PM
MAN O MAN!!... Are they the same sandwiches if so I am so there.
Just the same, I always get the "Old Italian"

grantgeneral78
01-30-2009, 06:17 PM
Just the same, I always get the "Old Italian"

Thanks red/gen I am going there tomorrow and get me a sandwich, will probably dream about it now lol

Thanks for letting me know.

grantgeneral78
01-30-2009, 06:35 PM
remember drive-in hardware on agnew, I used to go there all thetime when we had our body shop on 25th street, the old men who ran it were te best.

Generals64
01-30-2009, 09:17 PM
remember drive-in hardware on agnew, I used to go there all thetime when we had our body shop on 25th street, the old men who ran it were te best.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Something I remember about Agnew Hardware is the guys there always knew what you were talking about and they always had it. You go around town to the different Lumber yards and finally go there and they would have it and be cheaper than anyone.

gen70
01-30-2009, 10:06 PM
My best friend son found it in a dumpster when they began tearing down and remodeling Crystals. He got it out and didn't know what to do....We had just built a new house and my wife (infinite wisdom) wanted a Moose for over the fireplace....I looked everywhere for one and found out he had this one and the chase began. our Fireplace has a large enough mantel to handle a Moose...So, there it is....It's gotta be 50 + years old however......Still looks good....

That's cool 64! I'am envious I want one too. One of my old friends was a manager at the southside location. His name was Chris Stubbs and his brother owned Stubbs sporting goods on Penn..

gen70
01-30-2009, 10:11 PM
That used to be Quick's. I hung out there a lot.

Wasn't there a Neptunes on S. Western where Twitty Burger used to be?

Soonerman
01-30-2009, 10:13 PM
I was wondering wasn't there a restaurant next to where Office Depot is now?

gen70
01-30-2009, 10:25 PM
I was wondering wasn't there a restaurant next to where Office Depot is now?

Where is the Office Depot?

andy157
01-31-2009, 03:55 AM
I was wondering wasn't there a restaurant next to where Office Depot is now?Yep, Ashleys was there, but not anymore.

Martin
01-31-2009, 05:27 AM
before that restaurant was ashley's, it was a kettle for many years. -M

grantgeneral78
01-31-2009, 05:38 AM
Wasn't there a Neptunes on S. Western where Twitty Burger used to be?

I rememeber back around 76-77 neptunes had a promotional upside down coke glass, and you got it for free if you ordered there meal combo....sheesh I had a kajillion of them glasses....that just brought back another memory the kids back then would chew there straws and make them into a slinky type objects and hang them from there mirriors and our visors had all the SONIC plastic cup animal like the monkey, girafee and dangit I got what the others were.

Redskins/General
01-31-2009, 07:41 AM
That's cool 64! I'am envious I want one too. One of my old friends was a manager at the southside location. His name was Chris Stubbs and his brother owned Stubbs sporting goods on Penn..
You must mean Nick, his dad Charlie and older brother Chuck now deceased. Was the sister named Mary Ann? Forgot their mom's name. Heard Chris was with Evans Electric years ago..

USG '60
01-31-2009, 08:42 AM
Chuck Stubbs was a great character. He matured really early and could easily pass for a guy in his mid 20s when we were still in HS. I think he started shaving in the 8th grade. Anyway, he used to get dressed up and go to car dealerships and ask to test drive the high end cars and they would let him. He would drive it around to his friends houses to get a giggle. He was also voted "the most likely to succeed" of our class, but I don't think it worked out tooo well for him, though. But he sure was a nice person.

Prunepicker
01-31-2009, 09:16 AM
... had all the SONIC plastic cup animal like the monkey, giraffe and dangit I got
what the others were.

A mermaid, monkey, elephant... there were others but the brain isn't responding.
They were at other drive-ins, too. The colors I remember were red, green, blue
and amber.

grantgeneral78
01-31-2009, 10:08 AM
A mermaid, monkey, elephant... there were others but the brain isn't responding.
They were at other drive-ins, too. The colors I remember were red, green, blue
and amber.

-The funny thing is I seen some on ebay about a year ago. There was 4 of them and they sold for 126.00....musta had gold inserts!

gen70
01-31-2009, 10:56 AM
Chuck Stubbs was a great character. He matured really early and could easily pass for a guy in his mid 20s when we were still in HS. I think he started shaving in the 8th grade. Anyway, he used to get dressed up and go to car dealerships and ask to test drive the high end cars and they would let him. He would drive it around to his friends houses to get a giggle. He was also voted "the most likely to succeed" of our class, but I don't think it worked out tooo well for him, though. But he sure was a nice person.

Yeah! I can tell you knew him. He was a heck of a guy.

gen70
01-31-2009, 11:03 AM
You must mean Nick, his dad Charlie and older brother Chuck now deceased. Was the sister named Mary Ann? Forgot their mom's name. Heard Chris was with Evans Electric years ago..

Chris at one time owned that ice cream shop in Capitol Hill (forgot the name) He was also the mananger at Underwood's on 59th for awhile. I don't remember his sister's name, I never met her.

MrZ
01-31-2009, 11:35 AM
Oh man, Big Ed died Thursday. I used to go to Big Ed's at 89th and Western all the time and can still remember the flavor of the burgers (might just be the grease I remember, but were still great). Nice to see that the remaining store kept the classic look of Big Ed's.

http://www.newsok.com/for-many-oklahomans-big-ed-lives-on-in-memories/article/3342206

USG '60
01-31-2009, 12:41 PM
Eddie Thomas was another great guy. I hadn't seen him in twenty years and due to his size I would have assumed he died years ago of a heart attack.

grantgeneral78
01-31-2009, 01:33 PM
Oh man, Big Ed died Thursday. I used to go to Big Ed's at 89th and Western all the time and can still remember the flavor of the burgers (might just be the grease I remember, but were still great). Nice to see that the remaining store kept the classic look of Big Ed's.

http://www.newsok.com/for-many-oklahomans-big-ed-lives-on-in-memories/article/3342206

OMG no way! here is a few memories of BIG ED, When we had our body shop we took cars regularly to hibdons when it was hibdons! I met him there he was getting left side tires ONLY he said because of his size he wore them out faster than he did the passenger side then he just chuckled a heck of a nice fellow. Also whenever someone from the shop sold a car, they had to buy the rest of us a BIG EDS GIANT HAMBURGER with the huge fries and all. It came in the big ole pizza box.....he is going to be missed.

Prunepicker
01-31-2009, 05:19 PM
Chris at one time owned that ice cream shop in Capitol Hill (forgot the name)...

It's a tricky name, Capitol Hill Ice Cream Shop :bright_id

gen70
01-31-2009, 05:54 PM
It's a tricky name, Capitol Hill Ice Cream Shop :bright_id

Duuhhh! Thanks Prunpicker. It was located at around 29th & Robinson on same side of street as Puckets, right?

Generals64
01-31-2009, 06:19 PM
Duuhhh! Thanks Prunpicker. It was located at around 29th & Robinson on same side of street as Puckets, right?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Si' Senor':...............actually it was next door to Van's Automotive. South side of 29th....

MrCrwth
01-31-2009, 06:29 PM
Did you know there was a POW base where Will Rogers Airport is now, i knew there was one near Ardmore [Gene Autry POW Camp], but the one at Will Rogers was unknown to me. here is a list from Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_POW_camps_in_the_United_States) list of OK POW Camps.
Camp City State
Camp Alva Oklahoma Oklahoma
Camp Hobart Oklahoma Oklahoma
Camp McAlester Oklahoma Oklahoma
Camp Pauls Valley Oklahoma Oklahoma
Camp Pryor Oklahoma Oklahoma
Camp Tipton Oklahoma Oklahoma
Camp Tishomingo Oklahoma Oklahoma
Camp Waynoka Oklahoma Oklahoma
Fort Reno Oklahoma Oklahoma
Glennan General Hospital Oklahoma Oklahoma
Camp Oklahoma City On site of Will Rogers World Airport. Oklahoma
Camp Chickasha Grady County, Oklahoma Oklahoma
Camp Gene Autry Ardmore Army Air Field, Oklahoma Oklahoma
Camp Gruber near Muskogee, Oklahoma Oklahoma
Camp Horseshoe Ranch Hickory, Oklahoma Oklahoma
Stringtown POW Camp Atoka, Oklahoma Oklahoma
Fort Sill Lawton, Oklahoma Oklahoma

Prunepicker
01-31-2009, 07:17 PM
Duuhhh! Thanks Prunepicker. It was located at around 29th & Robinson on same
side of street as Puckets, right?

You're right about everything except the ice cream shop was on Commerce and
Puckets was on 29th. BUT they were both on the south side of the streets they
were on :Smiley063:)

Prunepicker
01-31-2009, 07:19 PM
Si' Senor'... actually it was next door to Van's Automotive. South side of 29th...

WHAT! Wasn't the ice cream shop on 25th (Commerce)? Did I give Gen70 a hard
time for nothing?

gen70
01-31-2009, 08:05 PM
Did you know there was a POW base where Will Rogers Airport is now, i knew there was one near Ardmore [Gene Autry POW Camp], but the one at Will Rogers was unknown to me. here is a list from Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_POW_camps_in_the_United_States) list of OK POW Camps.
Camp City State

That's alot of Nazis's.

gen70
01-31-2009, 08:07 PM
WHAT! Wasn't the ice cream shop on 25th (Commerce)? Did I give Gen70 a hard
time for nothing?

Go easy on me Prune...I haven't been in OKC in about 17 years.

gen70
01-31-2009, 08:10 PM
Hey! Our # count of pages are running out of space. The last one I can see is 55.

grantgeneral78
01-31-2009, 08:19 PM
Hey! Our # count of pages are running out of space. The last one I can see is 55.

Slide the bar over GEN we are on page 58 now.

grantgeneral78
01-31-2009, 08:21 PM
Camp City State

What year was that?

Prunepicker
01-31-2009, 08:25 PM
That's alot of Nazis's.

I was aware of Gruber. I spent a month there one weekend. I believe it was used
during Viet Nam, too.

That's surprising to here that Will Rogers was a camp. Wow! If Dad had heard
that I may have never been a south sider!

gen70
01-31-2009, 08:42 PM
Slide the bar over GEN we are on page 58 now.

78...How do I slide the bar?

grantgeneral78
01-31-2009, 10:07 PM
78...How do I slide the bar?

At the bottom of your screen the scroll bar like the scrollbar on the side you scroll down with. Just pull it to the side and you will see it.

gen70
01-31-2009, 10:16 PM
At the bottom of your screen the scroll bar like the scrollbar on the side you scroll down with. Just pull it to the side and you will see it.
WOW! Thanks 78. Technology is great!!!