View Full Version : Southside OKC Memories....anyone?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58

Redskins/General
01-26-2009, 11:29 AM
Correct, the FOP bought the building that was once the Black Steer Rest.
Do you remember the bar entrance on the southside at the east end? Around from the entrance to the bar on the east side were 3 doors, each a numbered motel room. I haven't been back around there in 25 years to see if there still there. The bar was 1st class and our city's finest still use it I'm told. Remember the Black Angus, Charter Club, Tequila Club and the Exchange Lounge?

Prunepicker
01-26-2009, 11:40 AM
Correct, the FOP bought the building that was once the Black Steer Rest.

What does FOP mean? Fraternal Order of Police?

Generals64
01-26-2009, 11:57 AM
What does FOP mean? Fraternal Order of Police?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yes, for a while it was their own club and that kinda got cooled down....The hotel is just North of the Toga Saddle Co....Same side of the street about 5 or 6 stores down.

Prunepicker
01-26-2009, 12:10 PM
Yes, for a while it was their own club and that kinda got cooled down... The hotel
is just North of the Toga Saddle Co... Same side of the street about 5 or 6 stores
down.

Was there an incident involving some higher ups in the police department at that
place? Maybe a woman? Not sure how long ago it was, maybe 10 years.

Rickster
01-26-2009, 12:13 PM
The front part of the FOP is the Lodge Hall, the club (Glitter Dome), is in the back.
Or so I've heard. LOL.

Redskins/General
01-26-2009, 12:16 PM
Was there an incident involving some higher ups in the police department at that
place? Maybe a woman? Not sure how long ago it was, maybe 10 years.
I think it was Rape by one of the male officers! Victim was either civilian bartender or female police woman. If I remember correctly, he wound up killing himself over the deal!! It took place in the club...

Generals64
01-26-2009, 12:45 PM
I think it was Rape by one of the male officers! Victim was either civilian bartender or female police woman. If I remember correctly, he wound up killing himself over the deal!! It took place in the club...

Civilian bartender....More than ten years ago....that used to be a really good place to eat. do you remember hikr'y house?

Redskins/General
01-26-2009, 01:03 PM
Civilian bartender....More than ten years ago....that used to be a really good place to eat. do you remember hikr'y house?
Loved those twice baked cheese stuffed half potato. You are talking about the one next door to Coit's on south western? Cafeteria style joint....

Generals64
01-26-2009, 01:24 PM
Loved those twice baked cheese stuffed half potato. You are talking about the one next door to Coit's on south western? Cafeteria style joint....
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yes, nothing like it used to be....For the younger crowd on this thread they had the BEST twice baked Cheese cheese stuffed Potato you ever had...they would also Bake the Sour cream and the Chopped green onions in it for you if you asked.....That was about all you wanted to eat.....Still a good Bar-B-Que place but nothing like it used to be......Redskins/do you remember the Cafe that was behind the Bank in Capitol Hill? Actually, it was west of the bank Alley?...They had "blu plate" specials in there that no one today can compete with. You got so much food on the plate that most generally when we would be having a store managers meeting at that TG&Y two of us would split it and still not eat it alll. I think it was $1.99 lunch special. They competed with KATZ drug there on the corner by the old Langston's......Yep, it was Katz drug.....don't let anyone get confused...

Redskins/General
01-26-2009, 02:46 PM
Yes, nothing like it used to be....For the younger crowd on this thread they had the BEST twice baked Cheese cheese stuffed Potato you ever had...they would also Bake the Sour cream and the Chopped green onions in it for you if you asked.....That was about all you wanted to eat.....Still a good Bar-B-Que place but nothing like it used to be......Redskins/do you remember the Cafe that was behind the Bank in Capitol Hill? Actually, it was west of the bank Alley?...They had "blu plate" specials in there that no one today can compete with. You got so much food on the plate that most generally when we would be having a store managers meeting at that TG&Y two of us would split it and still not eat it alll. I think it was $1.99 lunch special. They competed with KATZ drug there on the corner by the old Langston's......Yep, it was Katz drug.....don't let anyone get confused...
Yes, and do you remember Groves Jeweler's next door to the Knob Hill West and the Cafeteria to the East??? It was everything from home style to Mexican. Not all that bad. My sister use to work at the Kress's across the street North and East of the Knob Hill, due west of Katz Drug!!

grantgeneral78
01-26-2009, 02:55 PM
My wifes family was friends with the groves, also on 25th street 2 blocks east of kentucky on both south corners, what business`s were there? rickster probably knows this one.

Rickster
01-26-2009, 03:20 PM
I believe I do remember Groves and the cafeteria. Also, if I remember correctly there was a long hallway that had other businesses in it. This would have been just west of the Knob Hill theater.

Generals64
01-26-2009, 03:30 PM
I believe I do remember Groves and the cafeteria. Also, if I remember correctly there was a long hallway that had other businesses in it. This would have been just west of the Knob Hill theater.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yeah, we used to joke about that being the Southside Shepard Mall. We had our own Capitol Hill Mall. remember the OTASCO store was on the East side of the block (south side) and then there was a dr. office and then a kids store and that's about all I can remember there until you go to Mr. Buck's and down a few stores the Sears cataloge store. I used to have a small variety store in that building. Man, there were a bunch of other stores down there. It was so much fun to go to Capitol Hill for shopping caused my mother didn't make us dress up like going downtown.....

Redskins/General
01-26-2009, 04:34 PM
Bingo!! You right on the money. Used that hall to get to the back parking lot and there were also stores you could enter from, kind of like a "would be" Mall......

Redskins/General
01-26-2009, 04:38 PM
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yeah, we used to joke about that being the Southside Shepard Mall. We had our own Capitol Hill Mall. remember the OTASCO store was on the East side of the block (south side) and then there was a dr. office and then a kids store and that's about all I can remember there until you go to Mr. Buck's and down a few stores the Sears cataloge store. I used to have a small variety store in that building. Man, there were a bunch of other stores down there. It was so much fun to go to Capitol Hill for shopping caused my mother didn't make us dress up like going downtown.....
At one time there was an Otasco Store on the S.W. corner of 25th and Harvey. Due west and across the street from where Coney Island is today. Western Auto was down on Robinson across from Capital Hill Junior High!!

MonkeyBiz6903
01-26-2009, 04:43 PM
Nobody's mentioned Kress dept store. We always used their free parking. But always shopped at J.C.Penney. Seem's to me like Cattlemen's had a resturant in that hallway place, next to OK Funiture & Rug Co.

Prunepicker
01-26-2009, 05:12 PM
I believe I do remember Groves and the cafeteria. Also, if I remember correctly
there was a long hallway that had other businesses in it. This would have been
just west of the Knob Hill theater.

I've been thinking about that place for years but could never remember where it
was. I thought it was near Cattleman's but the description you've made is
definitely the place. If memory serves, there were long curtains in the cafeteria,
or along the hall way. That was a long time ago.

SoonerGirl26
01-26-2009, 07:25 PM
This is for all you Generals.......I researched the Oklahoman archives and found that Grant Square Shopping Center was opened in the late 50's with Safeway and Woolworth's being the initial "anchor" stores. These stores opened up there in the late 50's and early 60's.....Western Auto, Beam's Car Care Center, Grant Sq. Liquor Store, Pipkin Photo, Gleason Music Co, Belle's Feminine Fashion, Playhouse USA, Key Rexall Drug, Phipps Appliance, Thrift Finance, Bill's Texaco, Rick's Donuts, House of Hollywood, Capri Cleaners, Sharpe's Dept. Store, Grant Sq. Barber Shop & Beauty Shop.

And Griff's Burger Bar advertised "Nickel Shake Day" in 1961 in appreciation for their customer's patronage.

Prunepicker
01-26-2009, 07:39 PM
... Grant Square Shopping Center was opened in the late 50's with Safeway and
Woolworth's being the initial "anchor" stores.

I had many lunches at the soda fountain at Woolworth's. Anything to get away
from the cafeteria food, which was pretty good...

Beam's Car Care Center.

Weren't they famous for selling seat covers?

SoonerGirl26
01-26-2009, 08:04 PM
Beam's Car Care Center.
Weren't they famous for selling seat covers?

Yes....I first saw ads for "Beam's Seat Covers" and then the ads changed to "Beam's Car Care Center".

Rickster
01-26-2009, 08:13 PM
I remember Kresses in Capital Hill. If I remember correctly they had an escalator.

SoonerGirl26
01-26-2009, 08:27 PM
I remember Kresses in Capital Hill. If I remember correctly they had an escalator.

Where was it in Capitol Hill? Was it on the corner directly west across from Langston's? Weren't too many 2-story businesses in Capitol Hill.

MonkeyBiz6903
01-26-2009, 08:47 PM
Where was it in Capitol Hill? Was it on the corner directly west across from Langston's? Weren't too many 2-story businesses in Capitol Hill.

Its where DHS office is now. Across from Oklaoma Opry. Way back when they had parking meters in Capitol Hill. Kress had the double decker free parking garage.

Prunepicker
01-26-2009, 08:50 PM
Yes... I first saw ads for "Beam's Seat Covers" and then the ads changed to
"Beam's Car Care Center".

I remember a store on N. Robinson and 13th. Dad had an office nearby.

Prunepicker
01-26-2009, 09:22 PM
Who remembers the Skyline Restaurant on SE 15th? It's still there. How about
the Dairy Boy across the street from Crooked Oak?

Hey, they're on the Southside!

Prunepicker
01-26-2009, 09:24 PM
What was the Mexican restaurant near or on SE 56th & Shields? I'm thinking it
was Pedro's. It was a single name.

gen70
01-27-2009, 06:58 AM

I remember the Skyline a freind of mine's father owned it at one time,don't know if he still does.

gen70
01-27-2009, 07:02 AM
Does anybody remember the x-ray machine to measure correct fit for shoes in Capitol Hill? I don't remember the store but, I do remember seeing the bones of my feet through the shoes.

gen70
01-27-2009, 07:09 AM
Does anybody remember Peaches Music Store? There were several. One was at Penn. & 74th where After The Gold Rush went in after Peaches closed.

gen70
01-27-2009, 07:12 AM
There was a club called Peaches at about 62nd & Western.

grantgeneral78
01-27-2009, 07:27 AM
Does anybody remember the x-ray machine to measure correct fit for shoes in Capitol Hill? I don't remember the store but, I do remember seeing the bones of my feet through the shoes.

I seen a story on tv one day about those xray machines they used back in the day on folks to size there feet. The people now have radiation poisoning and developed cancer from them...might be a good idea to get a check up brother.

grantgeneral78
01-27-2009, 07:28 AM

Rickster are you talking about the same building that JOHN A BROWN was in?

grantgeneral78
01-27-2009, 07:30 AM
[QUOTE=SoonerGirl26;195409]This is for all you Generals.......I researched the Oklahoman archives and found that Grant Square Shopping Center was opened in the late 50's with Safeway and Woolworth's being the initial "anchor" stores. These stores opened up there in the late 50's and early 60's.....Western Auto, Beam's Car Care Center, Grant Sq. Liquor Store, Pipkin Photo, Gleason Music Co, Belle's Feminine Fashion, Playhouse USA, Key Rexall Drug, Phipps Appliance, Thrift Finance, Bill's Texaco, Rick's Donuts, House of Hollywood, Capri Cleaners, Sharpe's Dept. Store, Grant Sq. Barber Shop & Beauty Shop.

Alot of that was before my time, where was bills texaco at?

gen70
01-27-2009, 07:37 AM
I seen a story on tv one day about those xray machines they used back in the day on folks to size there feet. The people now have radiation poisoning and developed cancer from them...might be a good idea to get a check up brother.

Yeah I saw the same show but, I'am still good so far.

gen70
01-27-2009, 07:56 AM
When I was very young my mother took me my brother and some neighborhood kids to an easter egg hunt where south community hospital was later built. All the kids waited over by Redding shopping center until a helicopter flew over and dropped hundreds of plastic eggs,then all us kids ran and picked up the eggs. The eggs were the kind you opened up and the prize was inside. There eggs were all different colors but, the grand prize was of course a golden egg. I can't remember what the prizes were except the golden egg was about $50.00 I Think. I did'nt get the golden egg but, what a memory. Does anyone else remember that?

Redskins/General
01-27-2009, 08:09 AM
That was a all wood constructed machine, looked kind of like a pulpit with a place to stand, it was right inside Langston's when you first walked in!!

Generals64
01-27-2009, 08:13 AM
When I was very young my mother took me my brother and some neighborhood kids to an easter egg hunt where south community hospital was later built. All the kids waited over by Redding shopping center until a helicopter flew over and dropped hundreds of plastic eggs,then all us kids ran and picked up the eggs. The eggs were the kind you opened up and the prize was inside. There eggs were all different colors but, the grand prize was of course a golden egg. I can't remember what the prizes were except the golden egg was about $50.00 I Think. I did'nt get the golden egg but, what a memory. Does anyone else remember that?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The contest was originally put together by Hue Weirsig (TG&Y Promotions mgr.)
The funny part about that was they originally were going to drop baby Chicks also.....They can't fly remember.....That got nixed but, if you remember later after the egg drop, they gave away a bunch of baby chicks.....

Generals64
01-27-2009, 08:19 AM
[QUOTE=SoonerGirl26;195409]This is for all you Generals.......I researched the Oklahoman archives and found that Grant Square Shopping Center was opened in the late 50's with Safeway and Woolworth's being the initial "anchor" stores. These stores opened up there in the late 50's and early 60's.....Western Auto, Beam's Car Care Center, Grant Sq. Liquor Store, Pipkin Photo, Gleason Music Co, Belle's Feminine Fashion, Playhouse USA, Key Rexall Drug, Phipps Appliance, Thrift Finance, Bill's Texaco, Rick's Donuts, House of Hollywood, Capri Cleaners, Sharpe's Dept. Store, Grant Sq. Barber Shop & Beauty Shop.

Alot of that was before my time, where was bills texaco at?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bill's was right on the Southeast corner for years.....Claim to fame was having the hands shot off of his outside clock by some capitol Hill kids.

Generals64
01-27-2009, 08:20 AM
That was a all wood constructed machine, looked kind of like a pulpit with a place to stand, it was right inside Langston's when you first walked in!!
Saw one of those in an antique store not too long ago...Trying to rack my brain to remember where it was....

Generals64
01-27-2009, 08:22 AM
Rickster are you talking about the same building that JOHN A BROWN was in?

S.H. Kress Co. was directly across the street (west) from the old Katz drug store....Later Langston's and now the Christmas Connection.

Generals64
01-27-2009, 08:25 AM

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Had breakfast at the Skyline last week...still good and smokey. Remember the Dairy Boy but, who remembers the tunnel that went under Eastern from East to West. It was how the kids on the east side of Eastern got to school without crossing the street.....Many fights and many other things happened there.

gen70
01-27-2009, 08:28 AM

That's right! Thanks!

SoonerGirl26
01-27-2009, 08:44 AM
What was the Mexican restaurant near or on SE 56th & Shields? I'm thinking it
was Pedro's. It was a single name.

Was it Pablo's??

SoonerGirl26
01-27-2009, 08:47 AM
There was a club called Peaches at about 62nd & Western.

I remember the restaurant/bar names Peaches there...then it became a bar/club called Teddy's in the early 90's. Now it's an Auto Zone or some sort of auto store.

Generals64
01-27-2009, 08:57 AM
Was it Pablo's??

----------------------------------------------------------------------
I thought it was Poncho's before the Pancho's chain came to town...

SoonerGirl26
01-27-2009, 10:08 AM
Here's some more southside restaurants some of you may remember....

Wimpy's Drive-in - 52 & Shields
Our Place - 52 & Shields
Kozy Kitchen - 43 & Western
Lion's Share - 43 & Penn
Mitchell's - 29 & May
Pizza Cellar - 72 & Western
Ray's BBQ - 51 & Blackwelder
Arthur Treacher's Fosh & Chips
Family Spaghetti House - 53 & Penn
Fox & Horn - 65 & Western
Mom's Kitchen - 47 & Penn
Ron's Tacoville - 47 & Penn
Jim Dandy's Chicken - 77 & Western

I also found a 1969 ad for Pedro's Mexican Buffet on Janeway at Shields & 27: "All You Can Eat for $1.25; or order one of the specials for 88 cents".

I also found a Pablo's Mexican at 1408 SE 15.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Generals64
01-27-2009, 10:28 AM
Nobody's mentioned Kress dept store. We always used their free parking. But always shopped at J.C.Penney. Seem's to me like Cattlemen's had a resturant in that hallway place, next to OK Funiture & Rug Co.
You are right about the Cattlemen's Restaurant. Forgot all about that. It didn'twork for them so, they shut it down...I almost think it was maybe Cafeteria Sstyle serving...How about it Red/Gen?

gen70
01-27-2009, 10:35 AM
[QUOTE=SoonerGirl26;195556]Here's some more southside restaurants some of you may remember....

Our Place - 52 & Shields
Lion's Share - 43 & Penn
Mitchell's - 29 & May

I also found a 1969 ad for Pedro's Mexican Buffet on Janeway at Shields & 27: "All You Can Eat for $1.25; or order one of the specials for 88 cents".

I also found a Pablo's Mexican at 1408 SE 15.
QUOTE]

I remember most of those restaurants. I loved Ray's. It later move to Moore. The owner's name was Ray Henry

Redskins/General
01-27-2009, 10:49 AM
You are right about the Cattlemen's Restaurant. Forgot all about that. It didn'twork for them so, they shut it down...I almost think it was maybe Cafeteria Sstyle serving...How about it Red/Gen?
Your right on the Money!! I tried eating there a few times and it WAS BAD!! Cattlemen's it was..

Redskins/General
01-27-2009, 10:55 AM
Remember when Acutron watches were "all the go," you could even get them faceless where you could see the entire mechanisim working. Got mine at Groves Jewelry we were talking about earlier...

grantgeneral78
01-27-2009, 11:38 AM
[QUOTE=SoonerGirl26;195556]Here's some more southside restaurants some of you may remember....

Our Place - 52 & Shields
Lion's Share - 43 & Penn
Mitchell's - 29 & May

Man I must still have puppys breath! All I can remember of that list is Fox and Horn, and back in the day that was where the rich ate at.

Prunepicker
01-27-2009, 12:56 PM
Does anybody remember the x-ray machine to measure correct fit for shoes in
Capitol Hill? I don't remember the store but, I do remember seeing the bones of
my feet through the shoes.

Rothschilds had them, too. Mr. Stoneman was big on it. I still don't know what
purpose they served except to impress customers.

Prunepicker
01-27-2009, 12:57 PM
Does anybody remember Peaches Music Store? There were several. One was at
Penn. & 74th where After The Gold Rush went in after Peaches closed.

I worked at the one on NW 63rd & May.

Prunepicker
01-27-2009, 01:00 PM
When I was very young my mother took me my brother and some neighborhood
kids to an easter egg hunt where south community hospital was later built. All the
kids waited over by Redding shopping center until a helicopter flew over and
dropped hundreds of plastic eggs,then all us kids ran and picked up the eggs...

Foreman Scotty would advertise it on his show.

Prunepicker
01-27-2009, 01:03 PM
... who remembers the tunnel that went under Eastern from East to West. It was
how the kids on the east side of Eastern got to school without crossing the
street... Many fights and many other things happened there.

Prunette has told me about it many times. She was always afraid of the thugs
that hung out in it. It's still there.

Prunepicker
01-27-2009, 01:07 PM
Was it Pablo's??

YES!

I've been racking my brain for a long time. I liked that place. He had a green chili
that was great!

Thanks.

Generals64
01-27-2009, 01:07 PM
Prunette has told me about it many times. She was always afraid of the thugs
that hung out in it. It's still there.

Boy, was she right about the tugs. The derelicts would sleep down there also and the kids would come up on them and get the crap scared out of themselves. Most of the Crooked Oak kids started just crossing Eastern. I thought they ahd filled it in. Can you tell me what was in the original building that Old Paris Flea Market is in?

SoonerGirl26
01-27-2009, 01:09 PM
Boy, was she right about the tugs. The derelicts would sleep down there also and the kids would come up on them and get the crap scared out of themselves. Most of the Crooked Oak kids started just crossing Eastern. I thought they ahd filled it in. Can you tell me what was in the original building that Old Paris Flea Market is in?

Not for sure....but was it the old GEX?

Prunepicker
01-27-2009, 01:10 PM
I thought it was Poncho's before the Pancho's chain came to town...

No way. Pablo's served Mexican food. I still not sure what Pancho's was
serving.
:LolLolLol

Generals64
01-27-2009, 01:10 PM
Not for sure....but was it the old GEX?

Yep, but what was the context of the company?