View Full Version : Southside OKC Memories....anyone?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58

Redskins/General
01-24-2009, 09:41 AM
I never knew his sister, the Ricky I'm talking about was your age or I think a year older. Skinny, wore glasses and REAL quiet! I never had a Camaro but had 3 Chevelle's and 2 vette's!!

Redskins/General
01-24-2009, 09:50 AM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now, there was a guy.....I talked with his Sister (T) not too long ago and my statement to her was "How's Ricky"? Her answer was he's doing all right. I didn't know until right now....But, He was a little "Cocky" and probably helped start the fight don't you know?...Hey, still got your Camaro????
Not the same Rick. This Ricky was your age or maybe a year or so older. Skinny,very very quiet and wore glasses. I never had any Camaro's but had 3 Chevelle's and 2 Vette's. This Ricky Montgomery was an expert mechanic and big time racer.. I don't know if he had sister's or not!!

Generals64
01-24-2009, 10:02 AM
Not the same Rick. This Ricky was your age or maybe a year or so older. Skinny,very very quiet and wore glasses. I never had any Camaro's but had 3 Chevelle's and 2 Vette's. This Ricky Montgomery was an expert mechanic and big time racer.. I don't know if he had sister's or not!!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
You know, we're talking about another Ticky Montgomery. This one actually lived on 51st and ran around with Danny Parker.....I didn't really think he was a car mechanic but, I've been wrong once in a while....

Redskins/General
01-24-2009, 10:14 AM
You know, we're talking about another Ticky Montgomery. This one actually lived on 51st and ran around with Danny Parker.....I didn't really think he was a car mechanic but, I've been wrong once in a while....
Not Ricky Montgomery with the sister Teresa, older guy, look him up in one of your yearbooks!! The one you mentioned hung out at trueloves and was a good little pool shooter and ran with Ricky Roberts. NOT the same guy.

Prunepicker
01-24-2009, 10:34 AM
Today at 12:30!

I'm so sorry I can't make it. This pneumonia has got me down.

Eat a burger for me.

Generals64
01-24-2009, 10:42 AM
I'm so sorry I can't make it. This pneumonia has got me down.

Eat a burger for me.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yeah, and we're going to talk about you also....

FRISKY
01-24-2009, 11:32 AM
I'm running late.

Prunepicker
01-24-2009, 04:22 PM
OK, how'd the get together go? Don't sugar coat it. I can take it.

I was hacking and coughing around 12:30 in memory of the event. I'm sure that
you'll all appreciate that gesture, or is it jester?

Who showed up? Did anybody dance on the tables?

FRISKY
01-24-2009, 04:35 PM
It was another great meet. Too bad you were sick and missed it.

grantgeneral78
01-24-2009, 04:39 PM
OK, how'd the get together go? Don't sugar coat it. I can take it.

I was hacking and coughing around 12:30 in memory of the event. I'm sure that
you'll all appreciate that gesture, or is it jester?

Who showed up? Did anybody dance on the tables?

ok picker the time we show up you dont..go figure everyone thinks your my alter ego now.

Sorry to hear about the pneumonia.

There were a few there I met for the 1st time we had a good ole time. It was gen 64, frisky, soonergirl26, rickster and Myself and my wife.

See you at the next one!

grantgeneral78
01-24-2009, 04:43 PM
I figured some of my (elders) might like this site!

check it out guys some cool memories.

Take Me Back To The Fifties (http://oldfortyfives.com/TakeMeBackToTheFifties.htm)

Generals64
01-24-2009, 08:32 PM
That did bring back so many memories. If you'll notice, many of them have been posted on this thread....I remember when Buddy Holly was killed, Watch Ricky Nelson on T.V. every (I think) Thursday night. Today was good for me to finally meet someone from Capitol Hill without Grease on their hair...Huh Rickster? Keep it up guys this thread is like the memories....Friends have been developed and memories have been saved....Missed you Prunepicker.....

gen70
01-25-2009, 08:18 AM
How is everybody? Hope yer good. Sorry I missed the meeting yesterday, but Ashville N.C. is a little too far for a weekend drive. Hopefully someday I can make it. This thread makes my day much brighter. When I meet people and they ask me where I'am from, I tell em OKC southside. They don't know what that means , But we do. Have a good one.GOOO SOONERS!!!

grantgeneral78
01-25-2009, 10:01 AM
How is everybody? Hope yer good. Sorry I missed the meeting yesterday, but Ashville N.C. is a little too far for a weekend drive. Hopefully someday I can make it. This thread makes my day much brighter. When I meet people and they ask me where I'am from, I tell em OKC southside. They don't know what that means , But we do. Have a good one.GOOO SOONERS!!!

H-ey GEN70 where did you live on the southside?

gen70
01-25-2009, 10:54 AM
Growing up I lived on S.W. 50th st. I could see Grant from my house. also lived on S. Klein, S.W. 61st & McKinley and S. Country Club Dr..

Prunepicker
01-25-2009, 11:14 AM
Growing up I lived on S.W. 50th st. I could see Grant from
my house. also lived on S. Klein, S.W. 61st & McKinley and S. Country Club
Dr...

oooooooooooo... Country Club Drive... he's one of the rich and famous of the
Southside.:gossip:

gen70
01-25-2009, 11:38 AM
Where was Zorros Taco's?

gen70
01-25-2009, 11:39 AM
Far from it Prunepicker.

Prunepicker
01-25-2009, 11:47 AM
Where was Zorros Taco's?

I think it was on S. Western between 44th and 59th. I'm not sure.

Prunepicker
01-25-2009, 12:27 PM
Whilst I'm sitting here on my death bed...

Does anybody remember a restaurant on SW 29th @ Indiana called Garland's?
They had a smorgasbord.

Redskins/General
01-25-2009, 01:09 PM
Whilst I'm sitting here on my death bed...

Does anybody remember a restaurant on SW 29th @ Indiana called Garland's?
They had a smorgasbord.
That use to be considered the nicest place on the Southside you could eat at back in the fifties!! And then along came McHenrys just west of Western on 59th and it was "THE" place to eat.

Redskins/General
01-25-2009, 01:10 PM
That use to be considered the nicest place on the Southside you could eat at back in the fifties!! And then along came McHenrys just west of Western on 59th and it was "THE" place to eat.
The Garlands I'm thinking about was on S.W. 29th just one half block west of Walker next door to Browns Coin Shop!! Maybe there were two?

Prunepicker
01-25-2009, 01:20 PM
That use to be considered the nicest place on the Southside you could eat at back
in the fifties!! And then along came McHenrys just west of Western on 59th and it
was "THE" place to eat.

I liked Garland's, especially the cottage cheese with pineapple. McHenry's was
more modern looking and Garlands was more homey. Both had good food.

Generals64
01-25-2009, 01:44 PM
I think it was on S. Western between 44th and 59th. I'm not sure.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
S.W. 54th and Western on the West side....By the old Robert Hall's building.

Prunepicker
01-25-2009, 02:08 PM
S.W. 54th and Western on the West side... By the old Robert Hall's building.

Zorro's closed not long ago, right?

Is that where D&D's Drive-In was?

gen70
01-25-2009, 02:08 PM
Thanks Prunepicker and Generals64. I used to eat there, but could'nt place where it was.

grantgeneral78
01-25-2009, 02:21 PM
Growing up I lived on S.W. 50th st. I could see Grant from my house. also lived on S. Klein, S.W. 61st & McKinley and S. Country Club Dr..

I am assuming you graduated from grant in 70 right?

Did you know any guys with the last name childers?

grantgeneral78
01-25-2009, 02:27 PM
Anyone remember the S&H GREEN STAMP store over on I-35 AND 44TH STREET. It was pretty neat except all the good stuff cost 150,000,000 books.

gen70
01-25-2009, 02:43 PM
grantgeneral78! Yes I did graduate in 70. The name Childers doesn't ring a bell but, it's been 39 years and my memory ain't what it once was.

grantgeneral78
01-25-2009, 02:57 PM
Oh ok, how was the football team in the late 60`s early 70`s?...when i was there they werent horrible like they are these days.

Prunepicker
01-25-2009, 03:09 PM
Anyone remember the S&H GREEN STAMP store over on I-35 AND 44TH STREET. It
was pretty neat except all the good stuff cost 150,000,000 books.

I remember the one in Redding Square.

grantgeneral78
01-25-2009, 03:11 PM
I remember the one in Redding Square.

Thats right Picker I forgot all about that one.

danielf1935
01-25-2009, 03:14 PM
I can't remember for sure what year it opened, but doe's everyone remember the Giant Slide on S. Western.

grantgeneral78
01-25-2009, 03:21 PM
I can't remember for sure what year it opened, but doe's everyone remember the Giant Slide on S. Western.

Yes over across from the putt putt course and skating rink...it is the same one that was at the state fairgrounds. .....but alas it is gone now.

SoonerGirl26
01-25-2009, 03:39 PM
Anyone remember the S&H GREEN STAMP store over on I-35 AND 44TH STREET. It was pretty neat except all the good stuff cost 150,000,000 books.

I remember when it was in the very back of the Penney's store in Capitol Hill. That was also back by the section where we bought all the stuff for our Brownie/Girl Scout uniforms in grade school.

I also remember when my mom used to get kitchen towels and drinking glasses in our laundry detergent boxes.

SoonerGirl26
01-25-2009, 03:53 PM
We did have a good time at Dan's on Saturday! It was good to see everyone and visit. We decided to head back to Coit's next month.... so everyone mark your calender now.

Saturday, February 21 @ 12:30pm
Coit's Root Beer - 24th & S. Western

~~~

Generals64
01-25-2009, 03:54 PM
I remember when it was in the very back of the Penney's store in Capitol Hill. That was also back by the section where we bought all the stuff for our Brownie/Girl Scout uniforms in grade school.

I also remember when my mom used to get kitchen towels and drinking glasses in our laundry detergent boxes.
Forgot about that...My mom got on an oatmeal kick because you got a few glass in the box. Won't eat oatmeal to this very day.....YUK>>>>>Do you remember having a milkman, Breadman, Door to door insurance COLLECTOR (11 cents a week)? Kids selling Donuts door to door::.......How about people that turned their front room into a small grocery store to help pay their 49.00 a month FHA (G I BILL) house payment......Gosh that was a fun time on the south side of OKC.

danielf1935
01-25-2009, 03:58 PM
Everytime someones post's something on here, it get's my mind to thinking (which could be scary and make a few nervous).
Doe's anyone remember the Black Steer Restaurant on S. Agnew, my mom was the manager there for a couple of years before she moved to El Reno to open her own place.

I don't remember the towels or cups in the box of soap, but I do remember the cups in the box of oatmeal. A few things I recently remembered from my youth, phone numbers that started with letters, Kerr McGee gas stations, full service gas stations, my first haircut at the barber college on S. Agnew, spanking in school, neighbor's that cared, etc;

grantgeneral78
01-25-2009, 04:02 PM
+how about the china dishes you would get at safeway...werent they fireking brand?

Rickster
01-25-2009, 04:44 PM
It was real nice meeting some of you people yesterday. Wish more could have showed.
I sure like reminiscing about the good o'days.

Hey Prunepicker, when was that restaurant at 29th & Indiana? That's closer to where I grew up but I don't remember it.

And Generals64, I'm working on the name of that Rootbeer Stand.

Generals64
01-25-2009, 04:54 PM
These replies are currently on page 50...that's more than any other thread in OKCTALK. Friendships have developed an we even let a S.E. Spartan be the Social Coordinator?...Hey, Rickster I'm trying to find out the name also. Prunepicker, we're coming after you next month...you and Rickster lived across the street from each other on the Southside.....Figure that one out. Soonergirl26 ....where's the number? ................Thanks again guys...Generals64

grantgeneral78
01-25-2009, 05:07 PM
It was real nice meeting some of you people yesterday. Wish more could have showed.
I sure like reminiscing about the good o'days.

Hey Prunepicker, when was that restaurant at 29th & Indiana? That's closer to where I grew up but I don't remember it.

And Generals64, I'm working on the name of that Rootbeer Stand.

It was good to finally meet you to rickster!

See you at the next meeting.

danielf1935
01-25-2009, 05:22 PM
While I'm probably not considered a true "Southsider", (I graduated from Tuttle High), I did live on the S. side for a few years, lived on SW. 47th, just east of Penn behind Grant Square shopping center and went to Jackson Jr. High. I enjoy talking about "the good old days" and really enjoy meeting new people. I plan on going to the next lunching and meeting everyone on here

MonkeyBiz6903
01-25-2009, 05:45 PM
Where was Zorros Taco's?
Its where T&T Chinese Food is now.

Rickster
01-25-2009, 07:07 PM
Hey danielf1935, as far as I'm concerned you are a southsider.
I also went to Jackson Jr. High.

Generals64
01-25-2009, 07:09 PM
Its where T&T Chinese Food is now.

Yep, right on the head. A young man that worked for me dated the owners of Zorro Tacos' daughter....They did so much business I know he was not supposed to tell. He married the girl if my memory serves me right and they sent him on through College.

Prunepicker
01-25-2009, 08:40 PM
Hey Prunepicker, when was that restaurant at 29th & Indiana? That's closer to
where I grew up but I don't remember it...

It was there in the 50's and 60's. I'm not sure when it closed, maybe in the late
60's. Garland's was a little west of Indiana on the north side of the street.

MonkeyBiz6903
01-25-2009, 08:59 PM
lol. The Kenny Shoes sign still stands behind T&T's place. Did they tear down the Kennys building, or refurb it into Oreillys? I never went into Kennys.

SoonerGirl26
01-25-2009, 09:47 PM
lol. The Kenny Shoes sign still stands behind T&T's place. Did they tear down the Kennys building, or refurb it into Oreillys? I never went into Kennys.

When I see that old sign it brings back memories of buying shoes at Kinney's. It was the place to buy Ked's....bought our Royal Blue cheerleader shoes there! Also memories of the old Robert Halls store...bought many formal dresses there for proms, banquets and homecoming.

I always thought T&T's had great food....if you didn't look inside when you drove thru to pick your food up. :-)

FRISKY
01-26-2009, 04:44 AM
Does anyone remember the Black Steer Restaurant on S. Agnew, my mom was the manager there for a couple of years before she moved to El Reno to open her own place.
Where on Agnew was the Black Steer?

FRISKY
01-26-2009, 05:04 AM

I also remember when my mom used to get kitchen towels and drinking glasses in our laundry detergent boxes.I won some kind of a picture contest Penny's had in the late 1950s or early 1960s and still have a couple items that I got from the Cub Scout/Boy Scout section of the store.

My little brother knocked over a whole rack of "Indian" drinking glasses they used to give away at the gas station.

Generals64
01-26-2009, 06:42 AM
I won some kind of a picture contest Penny's had in the late 1950s or early 1960s and still have a couple items that I got from the Cub Scout/Boy Scout section of the store.

My little brother knocked over a whole rack of "Indian" drinking glasses they used to give away at the gas station.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
My parents collected those glasses, the tray, the pitcher...I still have some of the glasses...Kids in today's world wouldn't recognize them or even care....

MonkeyBiz6903
01-26-2009, 07:39 AM
The FOP was a steak house. Was that the Black Steer? Seems like they had a Black Angus, down there too. Will ask my 80 yr old bud, he remembers old packing town stuff.

danielf1935
01-26-2009, 08:35 AM
Correct, the FOP bought the building that was once the Black Steer Rest.

grantgeneral78
01-26-2009, 08:54 AM
Correct, the FOP bought the building that was once the Black Steer Rest.

Ok remember the garage to the north of that. A friend of mine had it for a while DARREN WARREN, it was his first shop of a few he had back in the day. A fun fact about that old building, back during the cowboy days some train robbers hijacked a train and dug a hole under the building and halfway under agnew and buried the train car, when they got it down there and buried much to there surprise they had gotten the wrong train car...this one was empty!
:doh:

Generals64
01-26-2009, 09:21 AM
Ok remember the garage to the north of that. A friend of mine had it for a while DARREN WARREN, it was his first shop of a few he had back in the day. A fun fact about that old building, back during the cowboy days some train robbers hijacked a train and dug a hole under the building and halfway under agnew and buried the train car, when they got it down there and buried much to there surprise they had gotten the wrong train car...this one was empty!
:doh:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Did you know that there is STILL a Hotel in Packing Town?...Called The Cattlemen's Hotel...East side of the street north of Bently/Gafford.

Prunepicker
01-26-2009, 10:32 AM
Earlier there was some mention of glassware in boxes of oats. They brand I
remember is "Wedding Oats". A cup, small glass or saucer was in each box. The
larger boxes may have had larger items but Mom only bought the small box.

Who remembers the towels in boxes of detergent? DUZ comes to mind. One
brand had real Cannon towels.

Prunepicker
01-26-2009, 10:39 AM
My parents collected those glasses, the tray, the pitcher... I still have some of the
glasses... Kids in today's world wouldn't recognize them or even care...

Deep Rock had those glasses. I saw the complete set a few years ago. They
were beautiful.

Who remembers the Styrofoam footballs that the Champion gas stations gave out
to stick on your antenna?

grantgeneral78
01-26-2009, 10:46 AM
Earlier there was some mention of glassware in boxes of oats. They brand I
remember is "Wedding Oats". A cup, small glass or saucer was in each box. The
larger boxes may have had larger items but Mom only bought the small box.

Who remembers the towels in boxes of detergent? DUZ comes to mind. One
brand had real Cannon towels.

I remember the towels...but forgot all about DUZ....good memory

gen70
01-26-2009, 10:59 AM
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Did you know that there is STILL a Hotel in Packing Town?...Called The Cattlemen's Hotel...East side of the street north of Bently/Gafford.

How's it going Generals64? Hope good. Hey! I googled down to cowtown to find the Cattlemen's Hotel, but could'nt find it. Can you name something close to it?