View Full Version : Southside OKC Memories....anyone?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58

SoonerGirl26
11-24-2008, 08:41 PM
I will tell them. I will be seeing his daughter next Tuesday at a dinner. You must have outgrown your troublemaking days....is that because you live on the north side of town now? Not as much fun over there?

Oops...sorry Generals64....I thought that was Prunepicker that made that post. I know you still live on the southside and are still causing trouble. LOL :fighting2

grantgeneral78
11-25-2008, 05:30 AM
I remember managing the TG&Y store at 59th/Penn...we have received our warehouse order and part of it was stacked outside and before we got finished we were chasing kids down the alley way getting the merchandise back...Man, some of them were pretty quick. You two guys were probably a couple of them.
When I think about growing up on the Southside of OKC....I think about mowing the neighbors yar for $2.00...geting paid and running to the TG&Y store on 44th/May and buying a model car and a tube of glue and a comic book and then stopping at Shaw's drug and get a Coke on the way home.....Next day, same scenario.....I best growing up friend in the world showed me some of the models he still had our days of growing up..I'll try to get him to locate them and bring them to the next meeting......Mowed a lot of yards.....bought a lot of toys....none of them were any good but had a great time.....HEY YOU GUYS (SOUTHSIDERS) WHAT IS THE MOST MEMORABLE CHRISTMAS YOU CELEBRATED ON THE SOUTHSIDE OF OKC???? O.K. ANY PART OF OKC .......

Nah wasnt us but I do recall some friends telling me about getting chased off, they s:elmer3:aid you were slow and mean!

Prunepicker
11-25-2008, 10:23 PM
Oops...sorry Generals64... I thought that was Prunepicker that made that post. I
know you still live on the southside and are still causing trouble. LOL :fighting2

You're on a roll!

Ask his daughter if he had GPS or tracking devices from NASA. Did he have some
gypsy connections?

I'm a northsider, now, fersher...

phyllism
11-26-2008, 12:43 PM
Do you also remember the trampolines and the watermelon stand that were in front of the miniture golf / par 3 course?
Hey! I remember that!! I was beginning to think I was crazy cause no one else remembers it. It's a wonder we all made it to adulthood with all the safety hazards!

Generals64
11-27-2008, 07:24 AM
Semrad may not have had GPS (Giant Principal Swats?) but boy did he have a mean right arm and a tough Oak paddle. I wonder if Mrs. Semrad still has the paddle? I think I would still be intimidated by it if she did. All in all though he was a good guy. And if you didn't get in too much trouble, he didn't hit you too often or too hard.....those poor guys who kept him busy. You know, he is a tru SOUTHSIDE LEGEND.....

Prunepicker
11-27-2008, 11:07 AM
Happy Thanksgiving Everybody!

seamless
11-27-2008, 09:48 PM
yeah TG&Y my dad used to be vice president of a screenprinting company on N.E. 50th they used to make all the sale signs and metal and plastic merchandising items they used in their stores.. he always used to say they were kind of ahead of their time coulda been a walmart type deal.. and anthonys oh lord, my mom was like the lay away queen i had to spend so much time up there as a kid waiting for her to pick out stuff..

But by far the worst loss has to be Crystals pizza. man that was the best pizza the way they singed the edge of the pepperonis ummm... the cartoon room was a great place to try to make out as a preadolescent lol..

One of the only things i dont miss about the southside was that big god awful lookin water tower by old house near okccc i always hated that thing..

Generals64
11-28-2008, 09:01 AM
Hey Prune man, you ought to become a professional musician........Thanks for the Thanksgiving note. Next meeting you've got explain how you made the capital letters stay....I'm not computer literate.

Generals64
11-30-2008, 10:57 AM
All Right, we have mentioned that there was a milkman and they were from Borden's to Gilt Edge.... Does anyone remember the name game that Borden's did when Elsie was expecting? She had two calves in the game but if your name (nationwide) was the one Borden's picked you got some money prize and free milk products for a year or something like that. What was the name of the two calves that was selected. I can't remember...I think the Bull's name was Beauragard (sp)..

Also, do you remember the Ice cream man (not leacherous then) in the Little Crosley Ice Cream cars?

SoonerGirl26
11-30-2008, 12:01 PM
All Right, we have mentioned that there was a milkman and they were from Borden's to Gilt Edge.... Does anyone remember the name game that Borden's did when Elsie was expecting? She had two calves in the game but if your name (nationwide) was the one Borden's picked you got some money prize and free milk products for a year or something like that. What was the name of the two calves that was selected. I can't remember...I think the Bull's name was Beauragard (sp)..

Here's some information I found....

Elsie was a real cow owned by family farmers in Connecticut. The Borden family approached the farmers, purchased Elsie, and commenced promoting her as their mascot.

Her husband is Elmer the Bull, later lent to Borden's chemical division as the mascot for Elmer's Glue. Their offspring included Beulah, Beauregard (born 1948), and twins Larabee and Lobelia (born 1957). The first Elsie, "You'll do Lobelia," was from Elm Hill Farm in Brookfield, Massachusetts.

Generals64
11-30-2008, 12:15 PM
Here's some information I found....

Elsie was a real cow owned by family farmers in Connecticut. The Borden family approached the farmers, purchased Elsie, and commenced promoting her as their mascot.

Her husband is Elmer the Bull, later lent to Borden's chemical division as the mascot for Elmer's Glue. Their offspring included Beulah, Beauregard (born 1948), and twins Larabee and Lobelia (born 1957). The first Elsie, "You'll do Lobelia," was from Elm Hill Farm in Brookfield, Massachusetts.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Where in the world did you find this information?...I remember my mother fillled out hundreds of names on the entry blanks....... However, lo and behold...My mom and dad had twins in 1963...Thankful she didn't use Larabee and Lobelia....Whew>>>>>>>>

SoonerGirl26
11-30-2008, 12:31 PM
Where in the world did you find this information?...I remember my mother fillled out hundreds of names on the entry blanks....... However, lo and behold...My mom and dad had twins in 1963...Thankful she didn't use Larabee and Lobelia....Whew>>>>>>>>

Here's more information on the contest:

In 1940, Elsie married Elmer, who would later become the famed mascot for Elmer’s Glue. Elsie also became a mother to Beulah and showed off her new calf at an encore appearance at the New York World’s Fair. And in July of 1947, added a little boy to the family. Elsie decided to let fans chose the name of her baby bull - and at the close of the contest, more than a million entries had been received with the name Beauregard selected as tops.

Elsie announced, in 1957, that she was pregnant again—with twins! Once again a calf-naming contest was held. This time, over three million entries were received, tallied and judged. Then it was all said and done, Elsie was the proud mother of beautiful calves Larabee and Lobelia.

FRISKY
11-30-2008, 02:51 PM
Weren't the cow's pictures and names painted on the tanks across from the Fire Station at 22nd and Broadway?

grantgeneral78
11-30-2008, 04:50 PM

Those are the cows that parachute into the football stadium!
:LolLolLol

Prunepicker
11-30-2008, 08:19 PM
Does anyone remember the name game that Borden's did when Elsie was
expecting? She had two calves in the game but if your name (nationwide) was the
one Borden's picked you got some money prize and free milk products for a year
or something like that. What was the name of the two calves that was selected. I
can't remember... I think the Bull's name was Beauragard (sp)...

Here's the thing. Elsie and Elmer had Beulah in the early 40's. Then they had a
boy a little and there was a contest to name him, Beauregard. In the 50's
they had twin girls Larabee and Labelia.

Prunepicker
11-30-2008, 08:20 PM
Here's more information on the contest:

In 1940, Elsie married Elmer, who would later become the famed mascot for Elmer’s
Glue. Elsie also became a mother to Beulah and showed off her new calf at an encore
appearance at the New York World’s Fair. And in July of 1947, added a little boy to the
family. Elsie decided to let fans chose the name of her baby bull - and at the close of
the contest, more than a million entries had been received with the name Beauregard
selected as tops.

Elsie announced, in 1957, that she was pregnant again—with twins! Once again a
calf-naming contest was held. This time, over three million entries were received,
tallied and judged. Then it was all said and done, Elsie was the proud mother of
beautiful calves Larabee and Lobelia.

I wish I had read this post first.

Prunepicker
11-30-2008, 08:23 PM
Weren't the cow's pictures and names painted on the tanks across from the Fire
Station at 22nd and Broadway?

You are correct, sir. They may still be there. Didn't they close that place in the
mid 90's? I know my daughter was working there when it closed.

Generals64
12-01-2008, 03:04 PM
You are correct, sir. They may still be there. Didn't they close that place in the
mid 90's? I know my daughter was working there when it closed.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

you know, we had Keirns Dairy on 44th and S. Agnew....Where did they get the milk and dairy products? Other than from a cow.....beat you to it...

Prunepicker
12-01-2008, 11:45 PM
you know, we had Keirns Dairy on 44th and S. Agnew... Where did they get the
milk and dairy products? Other than from a cow... beat you to it...

Their milk came from goats.

They probably had their own dairy near by. Who knows?

Generals64
12-02-2008, 04:21 PM
Their milk came from goats.

They probably had their own dairy near by. Who knows?

I was asked today if the dairy on the turnpike by Chandler was the old Keirns Dairy.....Does anyone know?

Prune picker, do you remember the Life Savers in the little book and the Chocolate Covered cherries we all ended up with at Christmas. I remember getting those gifts from the older people at Christmas and we lived on SW 47th and there were some older people along the block....I would take my Chocolate covered cherries and not only share them....but they could just go ahed and keep the box......I think my dad bought them for us so he could eat them.....boy those things are "Nasty".

Prunepicker
12-02-2008, 09:50 PM
I was asked today if the dairy on the turnpike by Chandler was the old Keirns
Dairy... Does anyone know?

Prunepicker, do you remember the Life Savers in the little book and the Chocolate
Covered cherries we all ended up with at Christmas...

Not sure about the dairy. It's Highland right now and before that it was Farm
Fresh.

Yes, those Life Saver Books and the Chocolate covered cherries are great
memories. Prunette and I were talking about who made those cherries. We
were thinking queen was in the name or something like that?

SoonerGirl26
12-02-2008, 10:04 PM
Yes, those Life Saver Books and the Chocolate covered cherries are great
memories. Prunette and I were talking about who made those cherries. We
were thinking queen was in the name or something like that?

Queen Anne - and the box was red.

Prunepicker
12-02-2008, 10:10 PM
Queen Anne - and the box was red.

THANX! Yes, Queen Anne! Those were great and less than a $1.

SoonerGirl26
12-02-2008, 10:24 PM
THANX! Yes, Queen Anne! Those were great and less than a $1.

Yes, and they were sooooo sweet - they made you sick if you ate too many at one time!! My mom loved them, I would buy her a couple of boxes at Walgreen's every year at Christmas. She passed away earlier this year, guess I'll have to eat some in her memory this Christmas.

Prunepicker
12-02-2008, 10:44 PM
Yes, and they were sooooo sweet - they made you sick if you ate too many at
one time!! My mom loved them, I would buy her a couple of boxes at Walgreen's
every year at Christmas. She passed away earlier this year, guess I'll have to eat
some in her memory this Christmas.

Are Queen Anne's still available? If so, where can we get them? Walgreens?

I'll gladly eat a box for you and your Mom, but maybe not all at once.

Do you remember those Creme Haystacks? I think that's what they were called.
Pure empty calories and no nutritional value whatsoever :) They came in a bag.

My mom was a Russell Stover's fan. We got her pounds every Christmas!

SoonerGirl26
12-02-2008, 11:01 PM
Are Queen Anne's still available? If so, where can we get them? Walgreens?

I'll gladly eat a box for you and your Mom, but maybe not all at once.

Do you remember those Creme Haystacks? I think that's what they were called.
Pure empty calories and no nutritional value whatsoever :) They came in a bag.

My mom was a Russell Stover's fan. We got her pounds every Christmas!

I think you can still get them at Walgreen's...I know I did last year. I'll look, if they have some I'll bring you a box on the 13th. :-)

Don't remember Creme Haystacks. What about Old Fashioned Creme Drops? You can take a package of those and melt them in the microwave, stir in peanut butter and spread in a pan to cool.....it makes quick and easy peanut butter fudge.

SoonerGirl26
12-03-2008, 03:53 PM
Prunepicker.....I checked today...you can get the Queen Anne's chocolate covered cherries at both Walgreen's and Walmart (97 cents) in milk chocolate or dark chocolate. Yummmmmm.......

Prunepicker
12-03-2008, 11:10 PM
Prunepicker... I checked today... you can get the Queen Anne's chocolate covered
cherries at both Walgreen's and Walmart (97 cents) in milk chocolate or dark
chocolate. Yummmmmm...

So much for my diet :) Walgreen's here I come!

I'm thinking about creating chocolate covered prunes. That should be a big
seller.

Prunepicker
12-03-2008, 11:12 PM
Okay, let's try to dislodge that information that's been lying stagnate in our brains
for a few decades.

Here's the question.

How did Foreman Scotty wear his watch? Which wrist was it on?

FRISKY
12-04-2008, 12:40 AM
Left wrist with the face towards the inside of his wrist so that the crystal wouldn't get hit or scratched while he was working. I used to wear my watch the same way, but I didn't remember why until you asked the question.

grantgeneral78
12-04-2008, 05:44 AM
Okay, let's try to dislodge that information that's been lying stagnate in our brains
for a few decades.

Here's the question.

How did Foreman Scotty wear his watch? Which wrist was it on?

Wow that is attention to detail!
:congrats:

Prunepicker
12-04-2008, 09:48 AM
Left wrist with the face towards the inside of his wrist so that the crystal wouldn't
get hit or scratched while he was working. I used to wear my watch the same
way, but I didn't remember why until you asked the question.

You are correct, sir!

I never could wear my watch that way.

Generals64
12-04-2008, 06:18 PM
O.K. Foreman Scotty wore a pistol while he was doing a lot of the sketches....What caliber was it? and what company make the pistol.

Hint:.....Roy Rogers had the same type of pistol.....

Prunepicker
12-04-2008, 09:58 PM
O.K. Foreman Scotty wore a pistol while he was doing a lot of the sketches...
What caliber was it? and what company make the pistol.

Hint... Roy Rogers had the same type of pistol...

I think it was a Colt .45 single action. He had quite a collection of guns and was
robbed once.

He wore it during the show, too. He wouldn't let anybody play with it.

Does anybody remember looking at the rain barrel? What was it?

FRISKY
12-05-2008, 06:25 AM
I vaguely remember the gun and rain barrel, but don't know the answers to the questions.

It would be interesting to see some of the old Foreman Scotty shows.

Generals64
12-05-2008, 10:06 AM
The pistol he wore was a Ruger .357 blackhawk...As was what Roy Rogers wore. Roy Rogers pistols were nickle plated.....I always thought Roy and Gene would carry a colt .44 but was wrong.

Tell me about the Rain barrel.....I remember the Barrel but not what went on there....

How about Spin and Marty Remember them?????

Prunepicker
12-05-2008, 07:59 PM
The pistol he wore was a Ruger .357 blackhawk... As was what Roy Rogers
wore. Roy Rogers pistols were nickle plated... I always thought Roy and Gene
would carry a colt .44 but was wrong.

Tell me about the Rain barrel... I remember the Barrel but not what went on there...

How about Spin and Marty Remember them?

How could a real cowboy wear a Ruger? That's awful. I'm crushed.

The rain barrel was the monitor. When you were on the show you'd watch the
show on the rain barrel.

Weren't Spin and Marty a Disney production? I watched them religiously but don't remember why.

Generals64
12-06-2008, 09:31 AM
How could a real cowboy wear a Ruger? That's awful. I'm crushed.

The rain barrel was the monitor. When you were on the show you'd watch the
show on the rain barrel.

Weren't Spin and Marty a Disney production? I watched them religiously but don't remember why.

Yes, they were on the Mickey Mouse club and there were some other kid type shows that were on there along with the Spin & Marty show. One was a common Joe kid and the other was a rich little brat....you know the rest of the story. But, I would run home from school so as not to miss it during it's time slot. Alwasy wanted to go to a camp like that....but, reality and money, woke me up in the mdiddle of the dream..

Generals64
12-07-2008, 12:51 PM
Did any of you guys Drag Race on 89th and S. Penn? That was where we went until and OKC cop moved in on the corner....All racing stopped...he couldn't take a joke very well. Something about us waking up his family....They shouldn't have gone to bed so early...Dennis Berglan......

FRISKY
12-07-2008, 06:22 PM
I raced more around 74th and Penn than 89th.
Mickey Mouse Club was one of my favorite shows, but it was completely different than MMC of today. The whole family would watch Disney on Sunday nights. I also liked to watch Sea Hunt, Rescue-8, Dragnet, My Favorite Martin, The Beverly Hillbillies, Flipper, Mr. Ed, Sky King, Roy Rogers, The Lone Ranger, Superman, The Red Skelton Show, 77 Sunset Strip, Peter Gunn, and My Mother the Car.

Interesting old tV shows site:
Top Ratings for Classic TV - Old TV Show Ratings - 50s (http://www.fiftiesweb.com/tv-ratings.htm#50-51)

USG '60
12-07-2008, 06:45 PM
In the last couple of days I have read this entire thread…some of it twice. What an ever- lovin’ trip. WHOO! Had I gotten in at the beginning I probably would have responded to 80% of the posts. You guys have relived by teenage years for me right before my eyes. Thanks for that. Resisting the urge to go back and respond to dozens, I’ll respond to two of them.

I found this thread when I googled Johnny Hughes. I don’t remember what gave me the urge to do it, but let me add this to the story. Between my brother and me, we had a 40 year history with Johnny. A couple of years ago, after having been fighting a brain tumor for a good while, and it was clear he was not going to make it, some of his best friends decided to give him a memorial service before he died with him being the guest of honor. People came from all over the country and jammed the Chouse in Norman to the rafters. Though unable to speak, surrounded by his family, the jam session from heaven occurred. Stories were shared and tears were shed. It was a magnificent gathering and dear Johnny went on a couple of days later.

I can’t let the posts regarding the shooting in September of ’60. I happened to have been a fairly good friend of Roy’s and had crawled over the fence at Taft Stadium with him to see the races the weekend before he was shot. Probably the only reason I was there when it happened is that I was off to college. After hearing everyone’s side of the story, I felt great sympathy for Alvin and totally felt that Roy brought it on himself. Who I hold most responsible is Jimmy (who was not named before, and I am not adding his last here.) Here is what is weird to me, my total inability to recall the results of all that. Were any charges ever filed? I can’t remember. I hadn’t thought about it in decades and I have no idea how to get ahold of any of our mutual friends to ask. I know one of you will know. Please advise.

USG ‘60

Prunepicker
12-07-2008, 08:37 PM
Did any of you guys Drag Race on 89th and S. Penn? That was where we went
until and OKC cop moved in on the corner... All racing stopped... he couldn't take a
joke very well. Something about us waking up his family... They shouldn't have
gone to bed so early... Dennis Berglan...

We did our drag racing just west of SW 89th and Portland. There was a 1/4
marked off. Somebody did a good job of painting it, too.

When we raced on SW 29th street you always wanted the inside lane. Those
dips on the outside were murder at 80mph.

Prunepicker
12-07-2008, 08:41 PM
The whole family would watch Disney on Sunday nights. I also liked to watch Sea
Hunt, Rescue-8, Dragnet, My Favorite Martin, The Beverly Hillbillies, Flipper, Mr. Ed,
Sky King, Roy Rogers, The Lone Ranger, Superman, The Red Skelton Show, 77
Sunset Strip, Peter Gunn, and My Mother the Car.

Interesting old tV shows site:
Top Ratings for Classic TV - Old TV Show Ratings - 50s (http://www.fiftiesweb.com/tv-ratings.htm#50-51)

I remember Rescue 8! My favorite shows were Colt 45, Maverick, Sugarfoot,
Cheyenne and just about any other western. Red Skelton was tops!

Generals64
12-07-2008, 08:51 PM
How about Hennessey with Jackie Cooper?...Do you guys remember that one...?
There was a show on in OKC ...Gene and Riley....I found one of their 78 records not too long ago. If I can remember I'll dring it to the next hoe-down....How about the Reddy Kilowatts?...The Jude and Jody show ....Bud and Don Mathis present.......you know, they always said they had "those fire blazing prices" at Mathis Bros. Furniture ....Yee-Haw.....No skin on those shows and the whole family could watch (if they wanted to)....Do you remember NOT having a remote control and having to get up and change channels....Then came along TV Guide.....What happened?

grantgeneral78
12-08-2008, 04:11 AM
How about Hennessey with Jackie Cooper?...Do you guys remember that one...?
There was a show on in OKC ...Gene and Riley....I found one of their 78 records not too long ago. If I can remember I'll dring it to the next hoe-down....How about the Reddy Kilowatts?...The Jude and Jody show ....Bud and Don Mathis present.......you know, they always said they had "those fire blazing prices" at Mathis Bros. Furniture ....Yee-Haw.....No skin on those shows and the whole family could watch (if they wanted to)....Do you remember NOT having a remote control and having to get up and change channels....Then came along TV Guide.....What happened?

Yup reddy was a shockingly cool dude. Yes we love folks! Back in the day we raced on 59th from blackwelder to western because the cops hung out from penn to blackwelder.They used to have car shows at Del Rancho on 59th I don`t know if they still do but that was always fun. Southwest ford came out with a special edition Pinto in 76 with a starsky and hutch stripe "man it was a kewl blow up car".

Prunepicker
12-08-2008, 08:05 AM
... Do you remember NOT having a remote control and having to get up and
change channels... Then came along TV Guide... What happened?

I remember the pre-remote days. It was a barbaric age to live through. All those
trips to the emergency room because of the injuries accrued from crashing into
the coffee table or breaking head trying to be the first to turn it down. It was
awful. I'm grateful to the inventor of the remote control and believe we should
have a holiday for him.

I don't remember not having the TV Guide. Mad magazine had an article in the
60's called the TV Commercial Guide. You'd know to the minute when those
ghastly irritants of societal destruction would be on and you could time your
bathroom breaks and snack making with it. It's a great idea.

Prunepicker
12-08-2008, 08:45 AM
:Welcome:

USG '60!

FRISKY
12-08-2008, 09:19 AM
USG '60 welcome to the board! You can bring up all the old posts you remember, in person, at the next get-together this coming Saturday.

Here is a bump for the meeting info:

I want everyone to post your calendars for our next monthly lunch. It is really fun, casual, and lots of "oh yeah I remember that" as we talk about our memories of south OKC. We will have tables reserved and have signs on the tables that say "South OKC Memories".....that way you don't have to worry about not knowing who to look for...just look for the signs...sit down and enjoy the conversation!

Saturday, December 13 - 12:30pm
Dan's Ol' Time Diner - 84th & S. Western

USG '60
12-08-2008, 09:49 AM
Hmmm, was my post inappropriate? I tried to be discreet. If I show up will someone have an answer to my question?

Opps, Sorry, I see it has now been posted. (Where is the embarrassed icon?)

Generals64
12-08-2008, 09:58 AM
In the last couple of days I have read this entire thread…some of it twice. What an ever- lovin’ trip. WHOO! Had I gotten in at the beginning I probably would have responded to 80% of the posts. You guys have relived by teenage years for me right before my eyes. Thanks for that. Resisting the urge to go back and respond to dozens, I’ll respond to two of them.

I found this thread when I googled Johnny Hughes. I don’t remember what gave me the urge to do it, but let me add this to the story. Between my brother and me, we had a 40 year history with Johnny. A couple of years ago, after having been fighting a brain tumor for a good while, and it was clear he was not going to make it, some of his best friends decided to give him a memorial service before he died with him being the guest of honor. People came from all over the country and jammed the Chouse in Norman to the rafters. Though unable to speak, surrounded by his family, the jam session from heaven occurred. Stories were shared and tears were shed. It was a magnificent gathering and dear Johnny went on a couple of days later.

I can’t let the posts regarding the shooting in September of ’60. I happened to have been a fairly good friend of Roy’s and had crawled over the fence at Taft Stadium with him to see the races the weekend before he was shot. Probably the only reason I was there when it happened is that I was off to college. After hearing everyone’s side of the story, I felt great sympathy for Alvin and totally felt that Roy brought it on himself. Who I hold most responsible is Jimmy (who was not named before, and I am not adding his last here.) Here is what is weird to me, my total inability to recall the results of all that. Were any charges ever filed? I can’t remember. I hadn’t thought about it in decades and I have no idea how to get ahold of any of our mutual friends to ask. I know one of you will know. Please advise.

USG ‘60

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yee-Haw, finally I'm not the oldest.......I don't know if any charges were filed against Alvin, I do however know that there was a hearing. Redskin/General if he is around anymore could enlighten the entire thing. 1960:.........my sister graduated in '61 so I'm sure you have some stories none of us have heard yet....Jum in with both feet and help us travel back along the Southside route of OKC....Welcome.......1960:...do you remember Mrs. Nestleroad? how about Mr. Chase or Coach Brown.....You definitely remember coach Norwood.....How about Mr. Thompson....if you don't remember him then that's o.k. we all try to forget him.....See ya next time oldtimer.....

USG '60
12-08-2008, 10:50 AM
Nestlerode and Chase were magnicent teachers and I had them both. Norwood was my Physiology teacher. What a Joke. On the first day of class he misread my last name and called me Buckley. Somehow it stuck in his head and every class period bagan with his saying, Well, Buckley, what do you want to talk about today and we woud just BS the rest of the period. We had one test on the bones of the body and one on the muscles. Ten minutes of memorization for each one did the trick for a good solid B in the class. Coaches should never be required to teach real classes.:Smiley247 I'm sure Thompson was adequte to the needs of the orchestra.Smiley093

I am going to try to make it on Saturday. I'll get my walker all shined up so it will look good with my Wedgies.:Smiley036

Generals64
12-08-2008, 01:27 PM
Nestlerode and Chase were magnicent teachers and I had them both. Norwood was my Physiology teacher. What a Joke. On the first day of class he misread my last name and called me Buckley. Somehow it stuck in his head and every class period bagan with his saying, Well, Buckley, what do you want to talk about today and we woud just BS the rest of the period. We had one test on the bones of the body and one on the muscles. Ten minutes of memorization for each one did the trick for a good solid B in the class. Coaches should never be required to teach real classes.:Smiley247 I'm sure Thompson was adequte to the needs of the orchestra.Smiley093

I am going to try to make it on Saturday. I'll get my walker all shined up so it will look good with my Wedgies.:Smiley036
Though I have been told that Thompson has passed on. I still have vivid memories of Jr. High Band with Thompson at the helm. He didn't want to be there anymore than any of the students. your class (1960) had a fairly good football team if my memory serves me right. Mike O'Shea ( now deceased), John Suggs.....These guys were a well-oiled machine if I remember right....What say Grant60?......These youngsters on this thread don't remember what a winning team was from Grant.....

Generals64
12-08-2008, 01:35 PM
I remember Rescue 8! My favorite shows were Colt 45, Maverick, Sugarfoot,
Cheyenne and just about any other western. Red Skelton was tops!

Hey, what about the Dinah Shore Show?....Cross the U.S.A. in your Chevrolet....da...da.da..da...da. What happened to Captain Kangaroo?

then Pee Wee Herman....oh yeah, that was General 78's years wasn't it......

---------------------------------------------
Anybody out there remember Camp Classen??????

Prunepicker
12-08-2008, 01:41 PM
Nestlerode and Chase were magnicent teachers...

Chase, since 1776, ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRG!

Extricate the quardaopod from the vehicle...

Prunepicker
12-08-2008, 01:45 PM
Hey, what about the Dinah Shore Show?... Cross the U.S.A. in your Chevrolet...
da... da da..da... da.

What happened to Captain Kangaroo?

puh-LEEEEEZ... never use Captain Kangaroo and Pee Wee in the same sentence.

Oy!

Bob Keeshan died a couple of years ago. He was a great guy. Pee Wee is on my
hit list.

At the end on Dinah's show came the BIG kiss!

Prunepicker
12-08-2008, 02:00 PM
ATTENTION!

I have no idea why I posted this post. Maybe to make the new kid on the block
feel welcome, but I doubt it.

Sincerely,
Prunepicker

USG '60
12-08-2008, 02:03 PM
Even having only pulled Bs in Chase's 9th grade English, it afforded me the right to rest on my laurels until sophomore English in college. He taught the essentials. I we he she they who you & it, me us him her them whom you & it, is are am was were be & been. I still use all those words on a regular basis. :Smiley036 What WAS the rest of the Extricate sentence?..... and when the aurora of the morning...blah blah blah. Hmm? Anyone?

And speaking of "downtown" Capital Hill businesses, did any of you ever shop at David's Menswear (established '63) next to the bank and across the street from Levine's and Emmer's?

USG '60
12-08-2008, 02:29 PM
Well, General, I saw the most perfectly executed play in football history that year. I don't remember who we were playing or what the score was, BUT.... We were approximately on our own 30 yard line, Rusty Palmer faked a handoff to Ernie Freshour but Ernie was so convincing that he had the ball that many attempts were made to bring him down and he was finally tackled just short of the goal on the far right side of the field, in the meantime Rusty was bootlegging the ball on his left as he ran casually down the left side of the field with only the crowd able to see the ball, grinnin' like a possum. He crossed the goal line on the left side of the field with the nearest opponent tackling Ernie over on the right side. It was PERFECT.

Last I heard Rusty was a shrink in Washington or Puget Sound. What happened to Ernie? Anyone know?

Prunepicker
12-09-2008, 08:05 AM
What WAS the rest of the Extricate sentence?... and when the aurora of the morning... blah blah blah. Hmm? Anyone?

I don't remember all of it. It may be in a notebook, I was afraid to throw it away.

It was a paragraph we were supposed to memorize for extra credit or
something.
Extricate the quadrapod from the vehicle and ... something about providing it
with nutritional supplements... then came the aurora of morning and the
reimbursement for the job...

I think it was supposed to be a way of talking so nobody could understand
you. Chase-ese or something of the sort. I never thought of getting a
dictionary to decipher it.

Do you remember his story about the man who thought lying down was a
waste of time? He built some contraption so he could sleep sitting up or
standing.

Then came his thoughts of baseball's intentional walk. That didn't sit well with me.

Generals64
12-09-2008, 04:22 PM
Well, General, I saw the most perfectly executed play in football history that year. I don't remember who we were playing or what the score was, BUT.... We were approximately on our own 30 yard line, Rusty Palmer faked a handoff to Ernie Freshour but Ernie was so convincing that he had the ball that many attempts were made to bring him down and he was finally tackled just short of the goal on the far right side of the field, in the meantime Rusty was bootlegging the ball on his left as he ran casually down the left side of the field with only the crowd able to see the ball, grinnin' like a possum. He crossed the goal line on the left side of the field with the nearest opponent tackling Ernie over on the right side. It was PERFECT.

Last I heard Rusty was a shrink in Washington or Puget Sound. What happened to Ernie? Anyone know?
Man, you did rattle a cage....I haven't heard of or from Freshour in years....I'll start digging....You know, he and Suggs and O'Shea were quite a team and then along Jody Crosby....They were real highschool Football players.......I remember going to the game you are talking about, I was in the eighth grade it was in '59 the year that Grant had a good team...That would have been the fall of your senior year.....We gotta talk Saturday......