View Full Version : Southside OKC Memories....anyone?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58

FRISKY
11-15-2008, 03:23 PM
Yep, good get-together today!

Generals64
11-16-2008, 07:18 AM
After yesterday's adventure (Dan's Diner) I tried to remember those things that hadn't been posted before.....Then, I began to laugh to myself about the things that had been posted....It seems tht the people on the southside in the 60's and 50's could just about enjoy the most simple times. We wanted the fancy clothes but didn't really care because we had each other. Fights abrupted quite frequently amongst the male gender (few female fights also) but, if someone from another town or part of OKC showed up we all (Southsiders) pulled together......Life was great along time ago. I hope there are some younger people reading this so they can know that we made due with what we had.....How many times did you share a burger with someone because you had to pool your finances.....How many times did you all just meet at someone's house because their parents would feed you? I remember Gene and Helen Stephens (both deceased) were always there for the kids....not just their two girls but just about anyone who wanted to show. There would be kids from Grant, Capitol HIll, Southeast, Del City, Western Heights just about any part of town that you could imagine. Remember sitting and talking with Mr. Stephens with a cup of (Nasty) Coffee and learning about his views on life.......What a time we all had..
Remember Young Life???? Did you ever T.P. someone's house????then get caught?...Tell your stories....I'm still looking for the person that put the Dog mess on the front porch...you know who you are....so, come forward....I just want to know how big that dog was......

grantgeneral78
11-16-2008, 03:19 PM
Dangit! I forgot all about the get together. Sounds like yall had a good time

Severins auto supply who owned it?

Anybody remember the loveless`s on 29th?

Where was bob mills first store, and what was his little catch phrase at the end of the commercials?

Redskins/General
11-16-2008, 04:05 PM
Dangit! I forgot all about the get together. Sounds like yall had a good time

Severins auto supply who owned it?

Anybody remember the loveless`s on 29th?

Where was bob mills first store, and what was his little catch phrase at the end of the commercials?
Owner the last couple of years or so was Art Black!!!

Made custom fit shoe's, cowboy boots etc. Specialized in people with feet problems..

The Workin' Man's friend who used his previous owner "Bob Garrett's" phrase and was located on S.W. 29th between May and Agnew. Bob Mill's worked for Garrett until he learned the business well enough and then bought him out. Bob Mill's used to be rather "Chunky" to say the least!!

Am I pretty close.....?

Generals64
11-16-2008, 05:17 PM
Loveless Shoes are still in business they just had a bit of a fire on 29th st. Mr. Lovelss passed away not too long ago....He was a tough "Ole Bird" but was he ever a good guy. Served on a Church board with him one time...ALL business. He really enjoyed his Motorhome......

WE DID MISS YOU GUYS AND WE'RE PROBABLY GOING TO MEET AT THE SAME PLACE AS THE ATTENDANCE IS GROWING. EVERYONE IS INVITED....(DUTCH TREAT) RED/GEN....DID YOU CHECK OUT THAT '62 CORVETTE IN PURCELL? i KNOW SWINDLE KNOWS WHO HE SOLD HIS TO.....CALL HIM ...I'M SURE YOU KNOW HIM...BY THE WAY, I WAS A'60 MODEL GOING DOWN I240...THOUGHT IT WAS YOU.......GOOD LOOKING CHICK PULLING IT THOUGH.......

flyboy26ok
11-16-2008, 10:31 PM
Thank you all for welcoming me into your group this weekend. You gave me lots to consider in my quest for a home. I'll let you know when I can officially call myself a southsider.

Thanks again,

Tim

grantgeneral78
11-17-2008, 05:10 AM
Owner the last couple of years or so was Art Black!!!

Made custom fit shoe's, cowboy boots etc. Specialized in people with feet problems..

The Workin' Man's friend who used his previous owner "Bob Garrett's" phrase and was located on S.W. 29th between May and Agnew. Bob Mill's worked for Garrett until he learned the business well enough and then bought him out. Bob Mill's used to be rather "Chunky" to say the least!!

Am I pretty close.....?

Wow that did not take long your dead-on ....Man the good ole days!

Redskins/General
11-17-2008, 07:07 AM
Loveless Shoes are still in business they just had a bit of a fire on 29th st. Mr. Lovelss passed away not too long ago....He was a tough "Ole Bird" but was he ever a good guy. Served on a Church board with him one time...ALL business. He really enjoyed his Motorhome......

WE DID MISS YOU GUYS AND WE'RE PROBABLY GOING TO MEET AT THE SAME PLACE AS THE ATTENDANCE IS GROWING. EVERYONE IS INVITED....(DUTCH TREAT) RED/GEN....DID YOU CHECK OUT THAT '62 CORVETTE IN PURCELL? i KNOW SWINDLE KNOWS WHO HE SOLD HIS TO.....CALL HIM ...I'M SURE YOU KNOW HIM...BY THE WAY, I WAS A'60 MODEL GOING DOWN I240...THOUGHT IT WAS YOU.......GOOD LOOKING CHICK PULLING IT THOUGH.......
I'm still looking, haven't been to Purcell yet! I know who Bennett is and I am familiar with the red vette Stewart has, I don't know either one of them except when I see them. I don't know the Swindle fellow, he might tell me it's none of my business, is he a dealer!! I told you about the red vette I found on ebay that sold in Georgia. The one the guy said he bought on Ebay from a guy in Norman, Ok. It was the one with the unbelieveable detailed engine. Come to find out from an email he sent me, it DIDN"t sell. He is in a bind and is willing to deal!! It's red with black interior and the body is totally stock. He's came down from 65K to 50K or best offer. Is willing to meet me half way on delivery and we both have car haulers. I may just fly out there and check it out!!! Thank's for the help....

Generals64
11-17-2008, 06:42 PM
I'm still looking, haven't been to Purcell yet! I know who Bennett is and I am familiar with the red vette Stewart has, I don't know either one of them except when I see them. I don't know the Swindle fellow, he might tell me it's none of my business, is he a dealer!! I told you about the red vette I found on ebay that sold in Georgia. The one the guy said he bought on Ebay from a guy in Norman, Ok. It was the one with the unbelieveable detailed engine. Come to find out from an email he sent me, it DIDN"t sell. He is in a bind and is willing to deal!! It's red with black interior and the body is totally stock. He's came down from 65K to 50K or best offer. Is willing to meet me half way on delivery and we both have car haulers. I may just fly out there and check it out!!! Thank's for the help....
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Before you get serious about the car, Hal Smith (Norman, OKla...graduate '64) has a '61 or he had a '61. You do know Mike Swindle he graduated from Grant in '65 close friends with Danny Parker and Bobby Tyler. I know both Bennett and Stewart very well and if you want we'll go and see them together. Also, Mike Donohue (Former owner of Big Red) chases those mid year and earlier Vettes...he lives in the Dallas region and I will contact him if you want me.....I bought my last mid-year (black '63 #'s matching) from Mike......Let me know. That vette in Purcell is a COMPLETE restoration with everything new......just an old body on a new frame.....$160,000.00....But man is it slick. Finding those old cars is not hard it's just being patient...a drivable '61-'62 should be in the $35,000.00 range...Now you can get more but the fun is restoring them......Let me know....

SoonerGirl26
11-17-2008, 07:16 PM
Did some research on some of the things we talked about Saturday at lunch....

Frisky was right, there was a school at 59th & S. Western. According to the Oklahoman archives, it was Prairie Queen school, a 3-room school house at that intersection. In December 1952 it was condemned and closed, all the students were transferred to Fillmore. It had no running water and outside toilets. Frisky, I think you must be older than you claim to remember this!!

Also, the golf course I was talking about was south of 36th between Western & Walker. It was Capitol Hill Golf Course, it was closed and sold in 1953. An article told of a 14-year old Taft student who was playing with his father and uncle when he was struck and killed by lightening while holding the flag pin. And no, I am not that old to remember the golf course either!! But I've heard other people talk about it.

:Smiley105

Generals64
11-17-2008, 07:31 PM
One of you guys is holding your age well or you are just making the rest of us feel bad. You know, Prairie Queen is an elementary on 68th and Blackwelder now and has been for forty-five plus years. My wife did her student teaching there in 1970 and it was an older school then. Boy, I don't remember that school.....By the way, Soonergirl....those glasses you had on in the yearbook are the thing right now......how did you know back in the 60's you and Sarah Palin would be wearing the same glasses?? Had a good time wish others would show. Seems we get a kick out of talking and then remembering other things. What happened to the Queen????I sent her note off to the place she wanted it to go.....See ya next time.....

SoonerGirl26
11-17-2008, 07:46 PM
One of you guys is holding your age well or you are just making the rest of us feel bad. You know, Prairie Queen is an elementary on 68th and Blackwelder now and has been for forty-five plus years. My wife did her student teaching there in 1970 and it was an older school then. Boy, I don't remember that school.....By the way, Soonergirl....those glasses you had on in the yearbook are the thing right now......how did you know back in the 60's you and Sarah Palin would be wearing the same glasses?? Had a good time wish others would show. Seems we get a kick out of talking and then remembering other things. What happened to the Queen????I sent her note off to the place she wanted it to go.....See ya next time.....

Yeah, according to that old article in the Oklahoman, the "new" Prairie Queen school was being built on Blackwelder when they condemned the old one at 59th & Western in 1952....that was 56 years ago. Frisky was also right about that church on the NW corner of 59th & Western. It was built in the early 50's too. He remembered a farm being there before the church....see, he has got to be older, or he had another life before this one!!

Yeah, those glasses...well, enough said, not my most attractive years!! I'll let the Queen know, she will be grateful to you. She had a great time Saturday, the two of you must have known everyone who ever existed on the southside!!!

FRISKY
11-17-2008, 08:31 PM
Did some research on some of the things we talked about Saturday at lunch....

Frisky was right, there was a school at 59th & S. Western. According to the Oklahoman archives, it was Prairie Queen School, a 3-room school house at that intersection. In December 1952 it was condemned and closed.
I forgot it was Prairie Queen. The new Prairie Queen on Blackwelder was my grade school. It was damaged by a tornado in the early sixties. If I remember correctly, the east side of the building was built in the early 1950s and they added a new section on the west side later.

grantgeneral78
11-18-2008, 04:12 AM
My god I must be the only one with puppy`s breath here, yall are bringing up things from way back lol.

When was Jefferson built?

SoonerGirl26
11-18-2008, 07:47 AM
When was Jefferson built?

According to a Daily Oklahoman article on 11-4-58, 25 acres was acquired to build Jefferson Jr. High at 67 & Blackwelder. 15 acres was purchased for $56,000 to build Roosevelt. The building of these schools would help alleviate the over-crowding at Grant Jr.-Sr. High due to "war babies" turning that age. Construction started on Jefferson in April 1960. With the first students attending the fall of 1961. Jefferson cost $1.2M, Roosevelt cost $1.3M.

Generals64
11-18-2008, 08:45 AM
According to a Daily Oklahoman article on 11-4-58, 25 acres was acquired to build Jefferson Jr. High at 67 & Blackwelder. 15 acres was purchased for $56,000 to build Roosevelt. The building of these schools would help alleviate the over-crowding at Grant Jr.-Sr. High due to "war babies" turning that age. Construction started on Jefferson in April 1960. With the first students attending the fall of 1961. Jefferson cost $1.2M, Roosevelt cost $1.3M.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
I was in the first 9th grade class of Roosevelt. The million dollar price tag was quite the talk and Mr. Wallace Smith (first principal) was very tough about the school staying clean and pristeen. That was the year of 60-61. Jefferson was opened the year of 61-62. However, they let kids opt for Grant until my wife (class/66) was in the 9th grade. that was the last year for ninth graders until here recently....5-6 years ago....

village idiot
11-18-2008, 11:04 AM
That first year at Roosevelt was a big eye opener for a 7th grader. 9th grade girls in sweaters and tight skirts, a juke box in the lunch room, and 3 cent hot buttered rolls! Man, what more could a guy ask for!

grantgeneral78
11-18-2008, 03:47 PM

Try and pickup property and a building for that now!

Well Jefferson was not to old when I attended 7th & 8th grade.

Generals64
11-18-2008, 06:07 PM
Try and pickup property and a building for that now!

Well Jefferson was not to old when I attended 7th & 8th grade.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Man, you've got me confused I thought General78 meant you were in the 7th or 8th grade.....Where have you been???? Two things:. 1 get hold of me on the lumber in that old house....Some beautiful old oak....2. Since you've missed the last three meetings, you have to buy lunch next time....Get hold of me....
See ya:......next time...By the way, do you still remember the North Canadian Drag Strip?????

grantgeneral78
11-18-2008, 08:57 PM
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Man, you've got me confused I thought General78 meant you were in the 7th or 8th grade.....Where have you been???? Two things:. 1 get hold of me on the lumber in that old house....Some beautiful old oak....2. Since you've missed the last three meetings, you have to buy lunch next time....Get hold of me....
See ya:......next time...By the way, do you still remember the North Canadian Drag Strip?????

I will make the next one just been tied up on to many projects recently...

Was it over by Mac Arthur park go cart track? or the one at the fairgrounds?

Generals64
11-18-2008, 09:29 PM
I will make the next one just been tied up on to many projects recently...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------I think it was at McAthur park...Wish Red/gen would answer this one. The fairgrounds drag strip was shut down before this one was built and that was the early 70's....I think....

village idiot
11-18-2008, 09:56 PM
The drag strip your talking about was probably Sand Valley @ I-40 and Council road. It may have been run by Jimmy Nix or Dean Dillingham. I think the on on Choctaw road was called Willow Run.

Prunepicker
11-18-2008, 10:24 PM

I was at that track when a driver died before making it to the lights. He was in a
AA Fueler. His crew was pushing him with a truck. His throttle stuck and he drove
through the fence and knocked down some trees.

I thought it was MacArthur Park Raceway, but not sure. We used to have grudge
races there.

MonkeyBiz6903
11-19-2008, 12:17 AM
I was at that track when a driver died before making it to the lights. He was in a
AA Fueler. His crew was pushing him with a truck. His throttle stuck and he drove
through the fence and knocked down some trees.

I thought it was MacArthur Park Raceway, but not sure. We used to have grudge
races there.
MacArthur Park Raceway was go carts. Could you be thinking of Jimmy Nix's drag strip on Council and the Canadian river?

Redskins/General
11-19-2008, 11:01 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
I was in the first 9th grade class of Roosevelt. The million dollar price tag was quite the talk and Mr. Wallace Smith (first principal) was very tough about the school staying clean and pristeen. That was the year of 60-61. Jefferson was opened the year of 61-62. However, they let kids opt for Grant until my wife (class/66) was in the 9th grade. that was the last year for ninth graders until here recently....5-6 years ago....
Sure had forgotten you ever went to Roosevelt, that's too bad!! The last year of 9th graders that attended Grant was year ending 1963 which went on to be the class of '66.'
The fall of 1963 is when Grant went to 10th, 11th & 12th only. The class of '65' wound up being the LAST class to go all the way through Grant 7th through the 12th. And what a bunch of misfit's they were (only kidding). What grades are attending Grant now??

Redskins/General
11-19-2008, 11:14 AM
-------------------------------------------------------------------------I think it was at McAthur park...Wish Red/gen would answer this one. The fairgrounds drag strip was shut down before this one was built and that was the early 70's....I think....
Sand Valley drag strip off of south council road was what replaced the fair grounds drag strip. It changed it's name once and was short lived. It opened in the late 60's!!! Remember Jimmie Nix, Bob Womack (all Ford) and Cliff Armstrong running his 'B' Altered Roadster at the fairgrounds name "Old Reliable" sponsored by "Downtown Chevrolet." Old Reliable was their slogan on west main st in downtown Okc........Cliff Armstrong and his car made "The Top 10" in Hot Rod magazine which was a big deal back then.

Redskins/General
11-19-2008, 11:20 AM
Sand Valley drag strip off of south council road was what replaced the fair grounds drag strip. It changed it's name once and was short lived. It opened in the late 60's!!! Remember Jimmie Nix, Bob Womack (all Ford) and Cliff Armstrong running his 'B' Altered Roadster at the fairgrounds name "Old Reliable" sponsored by "Downtown Chevrolet." Old Reliable was their slogan on west main st in downtown Okc........Cliff Armstrong and his car made "The Top 10" in Hot Rod magazine which was a big deal back then.
And don't forget Kenny Castor and his group of 409 Chevy Impala's he ran, straight off the show room floor. I remember he always wore a T shirt and "Tennie Shoe's" so he could get the feel of the motor. He always won too!!! His dad owned the Sinclair station and garage over on S.E. 15th just east of Central, had a small convenience store there also. I use to use him to tune up my cars, along with Cliff Armstrong and Armstrong Automotive across the street and North of the Capitol Theater on South Robinson.

SoonerGirl26
11-19-2008, 02:09 PM
I want everyone to post your calendars for our next monthly lunch. It is really fun, casual, and lots of "oh yeah I remember that" as we talk about our memories of south OKC. We will have tables reserved and have signs on the tables that say "South OKC Memories".....that way you don't have to worry about not knowing who to look for...just look for the signs...sit down and enjoy the conversation!

Saturday, December 13 - 12:30pm
Dan's Ol' Time Diner - 84th & S. Western

LIL_WAYNE_4_PREZIDENT08
11-19-2008, 02:45 PM
You guys are all old

SoonerGirl26
11-19-2008, 03:03 PM
You guys are all old

No one is too old or too young to hang with us.

Generals64
11-19-2008, 03:54 PM
Old is only how you put it. An old wine or aged beef or vintage corvettes...All are desired by every age. Some of the young people on the southside talk about that Old McDonalds on 59th has been torn down and being put back as a new one. They bought serve a purpose.....Hamburgers, French Fries, and a drink and a shorter life foe younger guys. Man, share some of your younger memories of the southside.....even if you live in another part of the Universe.....
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Generals64
11-19-2008, 03:57 PM
Sure had forgotten you ever went to Roosevelt, that's too bad!! The last year of 9th graders that attended Grant was year ending 1963 which went on to be the class of '66.'
The fall of 1963 is when Grant went to 10th, 11th & 12th only. The class of '65' wound up being the LAST class to go all the way through Grant 7th through the 12th. And what a bunch of misfit's they were (only kidding). What grades are attending Grant now??
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ninth through Seniors....Some of the eighth graders at Jefferson though are already sixteen. What do you mean you forgot about my going to Roosevelt. You told me we went to school together remember?????? Found you a car though....61 in Dallas ....PM me when you get a chance...If it's still there it's worth the money..

Generals64
11-19-2008, 03:59 PM
you guys are all old

hey:.. Make you a deal.....you come to the meeting and i'll buy your lunch...........

Prunepicker
11-19-2008, 11:36 PM
Yo...
Do any of you have a thought come to mind and then, before you have the
chance to remember what the thought was, forget what the thought was before
you had the chance to write it down?

I'm starting to have that problem. It's not a consistent thing, maybe 20 or 30
times a minute, so I'm not too concerned, just incredibly over concerned.

Is this a common thing?

How many times per minute should I become concerned?

This is starting to worry me. Maybe I'm too concerned about being concerned
with things I shouldn't be concerned with, that is, until I should be concerned
about something to be concerned about.

You oldtimers know what I'm talking about... don't you?

Please say you do...

Right now I'm watching TV. It's a show about...

Well, it's a show about something... I think it's about something...

Prunepicker
11-19-2008, 11:37 PM
Does anybody know why the calculator option suddenly appeared on my screen?

Was I calculating something?

This is getting worse by the minute...

OY!

grantgeneral78
11-20-2008, 06:53 PM
Yo...
Do any of you have a thought come to mind and then, before you have the
chance to remember what the thought was, forget what the thought was before
you had the chance to write it down?

I'm starting to have that problem. It's not a consistent thing, maybe 20 or 30
times a minute, so I'm not too concerned, just incredibly over concerned.

Is this a common thing?

How many times per minute should I become concerned?

This is starting to worry me. Maybe I'm too concerned about being concerned
with things I shouldn't be concerned with, that is, until I should be concerned
about something to be concerned about.

You oldtimers know what I'm talking about... don't you?

Please say you do...

Right now I'm watching TV. It's a show about...

Well, it's a show about something... I think it's about something...

Omg picker you just made me dizzy!

Generals64
11-20-2008, 07:12 PM
Omg picker you just made me dizzy!

Hey, I understood everything he said :...was I right in the other verse Picker you know the only time was just before the other thing started.

When you get older you think about many different things....what was the name of the guy that was involved in the other thing?Huh Picker.

Generals64
11-20-2008, 07:32 PM
Hey :.....the way the prices of gas is going do you guys think maybe they can beat the 10 cents a gallon set in 1965?. In 1969 I bought a '65 Corvette (Beautiful) and we paid 29 cents a gallon for the high octane (ethyl) gasoline for that car...it got about 17-18 miles to the gallon but, who cared we had a Corvette......It was a dumb buy, my wife was in school and we were barely making it. But, I had it for a while and I still have the pictures. I actually have the back page of the title of that car. Boy, to be young again and live Southside where the boys were boys and the girls were.....hung up on the Northside guys......I used laugh (right red/Gen) the Northside guys wouldn't come past the river. They all had the fancy cars but the old clunkers we drove could out run them.....Then we would all slip into obscurity and go to Hollies....no problems there...Mr. Hollie really carried a baseball bat.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Prunepicker
11-20-2008, 07:40 PM
... In 1969 I bought a '65 Corvette (Beautiful) ...

And I bet you paid a fortune for that 'Vette. I'm guessing close to $3,000.

grantgeneral78
11-20-2008, 07:46 PM
I want everyone to post your calendars for our next monthly lunch. It is really fun, casual, and lots of "oh yeah I remember that" as we talk about our memories of south OKC. We will have tables reserved and have signs on the tables that say "South OKC Memories".....that way you don't have to worry about not knowing who to look for...just look for the signs...sit down and enjoy the conversation!

Saturday, December 13 - 12:30pm
Dan's Ol' Time Diner - 84th & S. Western

Do I get to sit at the grownups table?

Generals64
11-21-2008, 04:55 PM
And I bet you paid a fortune for that 'Vette. I'm guessing close to $3,000.

Paid $3,500.00 for it...360 horse 327....blue, black convertible top, no air just a machine.........Good gosh, what would it be worth today?????

Generals64
11-21-2008, 04:55 PM
Do I get to sit at the grownups table?

Maybe:.....you gotta show first.....

Redskins/General
11-21-2008, 05:08 PM
Paid $3,500.00 for it...360 horse 327....blue, black convertible top, no air just a machine.........Good gosh, what would it be worth today?????
Save your time lookin' on the Vette's for awhile, I had an unexpected situation arise which will slow me down til Spring!! I'll get back with you later, thanks for the help!!

Redskins/General
11-21-2008, 05:11 PM
Gen/64, was I pretty close on the Sand Valley drag strip info for ya?? I use to race a little there myself.....................

Prunepicker
11-21-2008, 05:23 PM
Paid $3,500.00 for it... 360 horse 327... blue, black convertible top, no air just a
machine... Good gosh, what would it be worth today?

I'd pay you $3,000 without batting an eye for that bucket of bolts.

1965 Corvette (http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/)

SoonerGirl26
11-22-2008, 02:23 PM
Anyone remember the South Shields Airport? Where was it exactly? It used to host the National Aircapades Airshow on the 4th of July.

Another friend of mine wanted me to ask if anyone remembers "Jesse's"... supposed to be a southside house of ill repute in the 60's... anyone remember where it was? Or any stories about it?

Generals64
11-22-2008, 10:02 PM
Don't remember the airport but, Jesse's was somewhere between Walker and Robinson on 16th or 17th....If you can Get Red/Gen to answer this he can probably tell things we don't need to hear....Huh Redskin/General?....

Generals64
11-22-2008, 10:22 PM
Hey:...Does anyone out there remember buying the Pea-Shooters ...or, how about buying a small box of peanuts with money in them...How about Black Jack or Clove chewing gum?....Fort Apache sets along with Rin-tin-tin....Did you ever use a slingshot...now, that would be a weapon to get into school....or on an airplane....how would you explain that one...
Do any of you remember the Submarine races held at Will Rogers Airport?....Now, not Will Rogers world airport......

Come on now, you guys have more memories than you've shared....I know every meeting we have had someone has come up with something new....Dig down deep. The Southside is still going strong.

Prunepicker
11-22-2008, 10:39 PM
Hey, does anyone out there remember...Black Jack or Clove chewing gum? Fort
Apache sets along with Rin-tin-tin... Did you ever use a slingshot...

Black Jack and Clove are the only gum I'll chew. Adam makes Black Jack once a
year.

I remember the Fort Apache!

We made sling shots quite often as kids. I was a remarkably awful shot. I
remember when the "pro" sling shots were at TG&Y with those 50 caliber balls.
They had that surgical tubing.

Prunepicker
11-22-2008, 10:48 PM
Hey, I'm thinking about the classes I had at Grant in 1969.

9:00am - History with Coach Wooten.
9:05am - Swats for being late to History. I'd just walk in and grab the ankles.
10:00am - Study Hall with Coach Everhart.
11:00am - Gym with Coaches Merideth and Miliron.
11:50am - Swats for not putting my towel in the basket.
12:00pm - Lunch
12:40 pm - English with CD Chase, yeah, right after lunch.
1:40 pm - Biology with Ron Cable. Get a haircut, Prunepicker.
2:40 pm - Algebra with Mrs. Kelly.

Other activities included hanging out at the smokin' hole, though I didn't
smoke, dodging Huffman and Semrad, trying to remember my locker
combination and where I parked the car.

What did you all do?

SoonerGirl26
11-22-2008, 10:57 PM
Hey you Grant Generals.....I had lunch today with Mr. Semrad's daughter. We were celebrating her 60th birthday. Not sure how you all felt about Mr. Semrad, but his daughter is a friend of mine and a real sweetheart. She's a teacher in the Putnam City school district.

FRISKY
11-23-2008, 12:33 AM
I remember when the "pro" sling shots were at TG&Y with those 50 caliber balls. They had that surgical tubing.I still have a Pro Sling-Shot and I bought many packages of Pea-Shooters/peas. I think they were a nickel and were made just like the plastic straws from most restaurants today. The straws from restaurants back then were small and made out of paper.

Generals64
11-23-2008, 03:52 PM
Man, I forgot about the old paper straws. They made really good "Spit Balls"....didn't they?. Mr. Semrad was all in all a pretty good guy. My wife has the year books Semrad's wife had and gave to my wife. they all have his name printed on the front and everything. Man, some of the memories that a re coming back really have jarred my mind. Everything you would get a good milkshake the paper straw would fold. right?????

grantgeneral78
11-24-2008, 05:02 AM
I forgot all about RON CABLE rumor was flying around grant during my years he was wearing a small mirror on his shoe to look up the girls`s dress`s lol. This was not confirmed by yours truly though.

I remember me and my brother when were were young dumpster diving behind the tg&y on 59th and may and striking GOLD! boy they threw away good stuff...ok maybe it wasnt gold but when your a kid it might as well be platinum.

FRISKY
11-24-2008, 05:58 AM
TG&Y used to throw away 100s of different size, metal, pegboard hooks. Those things are so expensive now; I wish I would have collected a few.

Paper straws only lasted a limited amount of time before they became so soggy you couldn’t use them.

Generals64
11-24-2008, 06:09 PM
I remember managing the TG&Y store at 59th/Penn...we have received our warehouse order and part of it was stacked outside and before we got finished we were chasing kids down the alley way getting the merchandise back...Man, some of them were pretty quick. You two guys were probably a couple of them.
When I think about growing up on the Southside of OKC....I think about mowing the neighbors yar for $2.00...geting paid and running to the TG&Y store on 44th/May and buying a model car and a tube of glue and a comic book and then stopping at Shaw's drug and get a Coke on the way home.....Next day, same scenario.....I best growing up friend in the world showed me some of the models he still had our days of growing up..I'll try to get him to locate them and bring them to the next meeting......Mowed a lot of yards.....bought a lot of toys....none of them were any good but had a great time.....HEY YOU GUYS (SOUTHSIDERS) WHAT IS THE MOST MEMORABLE CHRISTMAS YOU CELEBRATED ON THE SOUTHSIDE OF OKC???? O.K. ANY PART OF OKC .......

Prunepicker
11-24-2008, 07:03 PM
Hey you Grant Generals...I had lunch today with Mr. Semrad's daughter. We were
celebrating her 60th birthday. Not sure how you all felt about Mr. Semrad, but his
daughter is a friend of mine and a real sweetheart. She's a teacher in the Putnam
City school district.

I'm sure that as long as we weren't getting in trouble for not having a parking
permit, for dress code violations, running in the halls, food fights, skipping
detention, running from the scene of a crime etc... we felt great about him.

SoonerGirl26
11-24-2008, 08:08 PM
I'm sure that as long as we weren't getting in trouble for not having a parking
permit, for dress code violations, running in the halls, food fights, skipping
detention, running from the scene of a crime etc... we felt great about him.

Prunepicker......love your sense of humor!! Your name must be in that book that Mrs. Semrad was telling me about....the one with all the troublemakers and deemed "most likely not to succeed"!!! LOL....just kidding.....well, maybe not, I'll look to see if yours is in there. I'll let you know.:cool:

Generals64
11-24-2008, 08:32 PM
Prunepicker......love your sense of humor!! Your name must be in that book that Mrs. Semrad was telling me about....the one with all the troublemakers and deemed "most likely not to succeed"!!! LOL....just kidding.....well, maybe not, I'll look to see if yours is in there. I'll let you know.:cool:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Not long ago, I was at Resthaven cemetery looking for the grave sight of a friend of mine (killed in VietNam) and I looked down and saw another friends grave (also killed in Vietnam). And, I began thinking about the guy there and how he and I got out first swats (from Semrad) in the seventh grade together.....I looked directly down however and the grave I was standing on was Mr. Semrads....He caught me even after he was gone....Great Guy....He gave me my first swats in the seventh grade and my last swats my senior year...and tell Mrs. Semrad and her daughter that he was very good at giving swats.....

SoonerGirl26
11-24-2008, 08:39 PM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Not long ago, I was at Resthaven cemetery looking for the grave sight of a friend of mine (killed in VietNam) and I looked down and saw another friends grave (also killed in Vietnam). And, I began thinking about the guy there and how he and I got out first swats (from Semrad) in the seventh grade together.....I looked directly down however and the grave I was standing on was Mr. Semrads....He caught me even after he was gone....Great Guy....He gave me my first swats in the seventh grade and my last swats my senior year...and tell Mrs. Semrad and her daughter that he was very good at giving swats.....

I will tell them. I will be seeing his daughter next Tuesday at a dinner. You must have outgrown your troublemaking days....is that because you live on the north side of town now? Not as much fun over there?