View Full Version : Southside OKC Memories....anyone?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58

oklahoma4life
10-23-2008, 11:55 PM
I graduated from Capitol Hill High School in 1966 and The Spot was the place to hang out. It is located about Southwest 27th and Western, it is still there but is now a restaurant and not a drive through. My mother attended CHHS in 1943. I also remember after the football game when our Star Quarterback, Lary Herdlitchka, won the game, we would go to Sussy's Pizza Place for pizza to celebrate! We would also cruise through Hollie's to check out the guys.
Those were the fun days!

Generals64
10-24-2008, 01:28 PM
I told them to reserve seating for 20,000.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey:..........If the same 27 that showed last time at Coit's show this time, I'm perfectly satisfied. Se ya tomorrow at 12:30 bring the Bowery Boys....Hey, that would be a good thread nostalgic movies....HMMMMM

Dave Cook
10-24-2008, 06:20 PM
Hey General...

You didn't ride out to Kickapoo with anyone I know, did ya?

Generals64
10-24-2008, 07:15 PM
Hey General...

You didn't ride out to Kickapoo with anyone I know, did ya?
----------------------------------------------------------------
Went there, did that....where have you been? I'll buy your lunch tomorrow at Jamie's in Capitol Hill at 12:30. Tell the guy I went with to come....He's the one that told me about the Cafe.....come see us....

SoonerGirl26
10-25-2008, 02:57 PM
Had a good time meeting you guys today. Just didn't have enough time to talk about all the southside memories.....guess we'll have to meet again next month, huh?

prunepicker....you were right, the old 77 Drive-In was at 9301 S. Shields....the address indicates it was on the west side of the street and even farther out than I remembered.

Whoever wanted to know about the Bison Theater....this site shows that it was at 1314 NE 23rd Street in OKC.

Old movie theaters in Oklahoma City:
Cinema Treasures | Search Theaters (http://cinematreasures.org/search/query=oklahoma+city&search=city)

This site shows old movie theaters for the whole state:
Cinema Treasures | Oklahoma (http://cinematreasures.org/location/country=181&state=37&show=all&sort=location)

Generals64
10-25-2008, 08:41 PM
You guys that showed today:.......... thanks.......You that didn't, you should have been there..a Good time was had by all even though the "Chicks" from Southeast came....just kidding.....Soonergirl is going to set up the next pow wow....And yes, we'll let her bring all of the Spartans she has the nerve to bring. Sorry about Jamie's, I didn't know that they were closed on Saturdays.

Prunepicker
10-25-2008, 11:47 PM
Sorry about Jamie's, I didn't know that they were closed on Saturdays.

That explains why they accepted the reservations for 20,000.

Next time I'm only making it for 10,000. That'll show 'em.

Prunepicker
10-25-2008, 11:50 PM
Old movie theaters in Oklahoma City:
Cinema Treasures | Search Theaters (http://cinematreasures.org/search/query=oklahoma+city&search=city)

This site shows old movie theaters for the whole state:
Cinema Treasures | Oklahoma (http://cinematreasures.org/location/country=181&state=37&show=all&sort=location)

Do you remember the theater you were talking about? I don't know what it was.

SoonerGirl26
10-26-2008, 07:24 AM
Do you remember the theater you were talking about? I don't know what it was.

I was beginning to think I was remembering something that really wasn't there.....but check out the Circle Theater....it was at 2510 S. Robinson. Read all the comments at the bottom of that page. It was called the Capitol Theater when I used to go to it in the early 60's.

Cinema Treasures | Circle Theater (http://cinematreasures.org/theater/12473/)

SoonerGirl26
10-26-2008, 08:39 AM
While remembering some of the old southside drive-in movie theaters...Hillcrest Drive-in, 77 Drive-in, Riviera Drive-in.....I came across this old Intermission film. This will bring back some memories....

YouTube - Vintage Drive-in Intermission films (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qK__U-1z-_A&feature=related)

Prunepicker
10-26-2008, 03:29 PM
Soonergirl,
I was playing at church this morning and saw your friend who came to the
lunch. I just stood there and said, "are you DD?" She said yes. It's awful how
you know people but can't place them except where you've seen them.

Generals64
10-27-2008, 06:47 AM
I now remember the Theater you guys were talking about. Kinda Sleazey in it's day. I drove past the old drive-In theater on shields. Remember going to that drive-in as a kid and as a teenager. I know it sounds dumb but, when they tore down the Redskin Theater I got a brick out of the pile...More junk to collect...also have a Grant brick from the old school. O.K. ...Hey, pruner have you heard from Frisky?

See ya next time:.................

SoonerGirl26
10-27-2008, 07:19 AM
I graduated from Capitol Hill High School in 1966 and The Spot was the place to hang out. It is located about Southwest 27th and Western, it is still there but is now a restaurant and not a drive through. My mother attended CHHS in 1943. I also remember after the football game when our Star Quarterback, Lary Herdlitchka, won the game, we would go to Sussy's Pizza Place for pizza to celebrate! We would also cruise through Hollie's to check out the guys.
Those were the fun days!

Yes, those were fun days! I graduated from SE in '68, Del Rancho on 59th was our hangout. A car load of us girls would cruise through the "DR", as we called it, then head down the street to go through the "Triple A" on 59th, which was Grant's hangout at the time, and then head to The Spot. We would sometimes make that circle several times a night. I still crave the pizza from Sussy's.....I wonder why we thought it was so great? And I wonder if we were to have a slice of it today if we would REALLY think it was the best pizza....funny how you think you remember things and you really don't. That's why this thread is so great....other people are doing the remembering for me!!

SoonerGirl26
10-27-2008, 07:44 AM
I now remember the Theater you guys were talking about. Kinda Sleazey in it's day. I drove past the old drive-In theater on shields. Remember going to that drive-in as a kid and as a teenager. I know it sounds dumb but, when they tore down the Redskin Theater I got a brick out of the pile...More junk to collect...also have a Grant brick from the old school. O.K. ...Hey, pruner have you heard from Frisky?

See ya next time:.................

Well....you know it wasn't sleazy back when I was going to it....I would have been about 10 or 11...not sure my mom would have approved! I checked in the Oklahoman archives and in the summer of 1960 some of the movies that were playing at the Capitol were the 3 Stooges in "Stop, Look and Listen, Burt Lancaster in "Ten Tall Men" and Doris Day in "Please Don't Eat the Daisies". I also saw an article in October 1963 where the parents of an 8-year old girl sued the theater for $25,000 when hot popcorn oil splashed on her legs.

Bobby821
10-27-2008, 08:17 AM
Where was the drive inn on Shields located at? Is the building still standing was this the 77 drive inn?

SoonerGirl26
10-27-2008, 08:30 AM
Where was the drive inn on Shields located at? Is the building still standing was this the 77 drive inn?

Yes, it was the 77 Drive-In....south of 89th on the west side. Here is what is on the Cinema Treasures website:

77 Drive-In
Oklahoma City, OK
9301 Shields Boulevard, Oklahoma City, OK 73101 United States(map)
Screens: Single Screen
The Odom Drive-In opened in 1947 and was owned by Lewis Barton. After a year of operation the name was changed to the 77 Drive-In. The theatre closed in 1975. It was a single screen and could accomodate 948 cars.

generals64---since you drove by it....is the building, screen or some part of it still there?

Prunepicker
10-27-2008, 09:00 AM
...Hey, pruner have you heard from Frisky? See ya next time...

Not a word. But he's only been missing over the weekend... and, after all, he's
still a south sider... have you tried the city jail? That was always my dad's
first call if I wasn't home by Monday.

Of course that'd only happen once a week. It's not like it was habitual or
anything.

Generals64
10-27-2008, 11:28 AM
Yes, it was the 77 Drive-In....south of 89th on the west side. Here is what is on the Cinema Treasures website:

77 Drive-In
Oklahoma City, OK
9301 Shields Boulevard, Oklahoma City, OK 73101 United States(map)
Screens: Single Screen
The Odom Drive-In opened in 1947 and was owned by Lewis Barton. After a year of operation the name was changed to the 77 Drive-In. The theatre closed in 1975. It was a single screen and could accomodate 948 cars.

generals64---since you drove by it....is the building, screen or some part of it still there?

--------------------------------------------------------------------
All of the screen is down and everything resembling a drive-in theater is gone. The company that owns the property does highway maintenance and they store their equipment there. By the way, we made 15,000........woo-hoo.

Generals64
10-27-2008, 11:35 AM
Yes, those were fun days! I graduated from SE in '68, Del Rancho on 59th was our hangout. A car load of us girls would cruise through the "DR", as we called it, then head down the street to go through the "Triple A" on 59th, which was Grant's hangout at the time, and then head to The Spot. We would sometimes make that circle several times a night. I still crave the pizza from Sussy's.....I wonder why we thought it was so great? And I wonder if we were to have a slice of it today if we would REALLY think it was the best pizza....funny how you think you remember things and you really don't. That's why this thread is so great....other people are doing the remembering for me!!
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Naw:..........Sussy's was great....you know, i don't ever remember a lot of trouble at the Capitol Hill Sussy's. they almost always seated the kids in the back and we would go through a back door...Kids from all over were in there and it didn't really matter what school you went to. I remember the crust was thick and "Juicy"......Do you remember the Ice house/dock down the street from there? It's closed now but I remember getting plenty of block ice there when we would have (Get Ready) a Neighborhood Picnic.....My dad made the best homemade Ice Cream.....What happened to those days? Didn't matter how old you were or whether or not your family could throw anything into the pot we almost always had a good time....I've lived here for 14 years and still don't know all of my neighbors.....Pitiful....Maybe the Southside thread should host a picnic and invite the Northsiders to come to it....I'm sure they could handle a Hot Dog but I couldn't handle the Caviar.....See ya next time....Oh yeah, where and when is the next get together?

Bobby821
10-27-2008, 01:59 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------
All of the screen is down and everything resembling a drive-in theater is gone. The company that owns the property does highway maintenance and they store their equipment there. By the way, we made 15,000........woo-hoo.

I thought thats where it was I vaguely remember the sign being overgrown in trees at one time in that location.

Prunepicker
10-27-2008, 02:57 PM
Does anybody remember the Lakeside Drive In on US 66 on the north side of
Lake Holdercloser. The projection building is still there but the screen was sold(?)
several years ago.

There used to be an Interuban turn-a-round just west of it.

Generals64
10-27-2008, 05:15 PM
My gosh, you're digging out some very, very old memories. It was funny how when I was dating (other than my bride) I wouldn't go to a Southside Drive-In, we would go Northside...why, I don't know...There used to be a great Hamburger joint just outside of the drive-ins drive there....Fire got it though. I remember going to Alan Merrill Chevrolet....(before Alan Merrill actually and look at the cars and dream and drool....Jackie Cooper was another spot out there. I remember going to Diffee Motor on 39th and turning Mr. Diffee down on buying my '63 Impala...It was a good looking ride.....wish I had it back....

Memories are coming back again we're go a lot longer on this thread....Wonder how many traitors moved North from the South? You notice they don't get in on the conversations do they???? We know you're still a South Sider at Heart..... See ya next time:.............

SoonerGirl26
10-27-2008, 05:57 PM
OK...I've checked out all the footballs games and decided that our best bet to have our next monthly lunch would be Nov. 15th....OU has an "open" weekend and OSU plays at Colorado but no game time posted yet.

So how about Saturday, November 15th, 12:30 at Dan's Ol' Time Diner at 84th & S. Western? Will that work for everyone?

---------------

Generals64
10-27-2008, 08:36 PM
OK...I've checked out all the footballs games and decided that our best bet to have our next monthly lunch would be Nov. 15th....OU has an "open" weekend and OSU plays at Colorado but no game time posted yet.

So how about Saturday, November 15th, 12:30 at Dan's Ol' Time Diner at 84th & S. Western? Will that work for everyone?

---------------
-------------------------------------------------------------Works for me:..................

FRISKY
10-28-2008, 12:30 PM
So how about Saturday, November 15th, 12:30 at Dan's Ol' Time Diner at 84th & S. Western? Will that work for everyone?Works for me too.

Generals64
10-28-2008, 01:10 PM
Works for me too.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
OH MY GOSH!!!!!! ........ Hee's Baaaack.....Where have you been young man? We missed your smiling face last week-end...And, we were compromised by Southeast people...the old Pruner and the old man had to hold our own. All kidding aside glad to hear from you again:.....See ya next time:......

Generals64
10-28-2008, 01:12 PM
Used to live Northside until Dad took us on a Sunday drive (anyone else do those?) to southside after the 1960 tornado. I remember the houses leveled and all the destruction. Why my dad would then want to move south, I don't know but move we did in 61. Maybe he felt okay since our house had a new in-ground storm celler in the back yard. and we were glad to have it more than a few times, although we got to where we weren't very scared and watched most storms roll by on the front porch..

General do you remember when I sold the gun to Conway Twitty (your memory is better - I think it was Conway) and you guys were ribbing me because I had him show his ID. Well it was how ya taught me. How about when we used to have the TGY specials and it was some kind of a midnight sale and we all wore our pajamas to work. I'll never forget the lady when I rounded the corner and she said "omg she's wearing her nightgown." Then there was the time I gained 10lb because I got hooked on TGY's hot fudge sundays. Had to have one everyday after school. Even Braums doesn't make them as good as those were... but had to stop that little luxury.
Hey:......I went to an Antique Auction Saturday and found (and bought) an old picture of Twitty (black and white) getting a haircut from Louis Ogle....He used to work at AceBarber shop at 74th & Penn. Get me an address and I'll send you a copy...It is about the 67 68 era.....Pompador and all....See ya

Prunepicker
10-28-2008, 02:15 PM
So how about Saturday, November 15th, 12:30 at Dan's Ol' Time Diner at 84th &
S. Western? Will that work for everyone?

It works for me, too.

Redskins/General
10-28-2008, 06:55 PM
Hey:......I went to an Antique Auction Saturday and found (and bought) an old picture of Twitty (black and white) getting a haircut from Louis Ogle....He used to work at AceBarber shop at 74th & Penn. Get me an address and I'll send you a copy...It is about the 67 68 era.....Pompador and all....See ya
I assume you knew Lewis Ogle died?

Generals64
10-29-2008, 11:40 AM
I assume you knew Lewis Ogle died?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yes, I did....He was in with Bobby at the Ace Barber shop for some time. Hey, thanks for the present and I'm counting on you being at the 11/15/08 get together at Dan's Ole Time diner....

SoonerGirl26
10-29-2008, 04:54 PM
~~~
Everyone mark your calendars now for our next monthly lunch....

Saturday, November 15th - 12:30pm
Dan's Ol' Time Diner - 84th & S. Western

We would like all of you on this thread to come and talk about the good ole days with us!!

~~~

angel27
10-29-2008, 07:28 PM
I can't believe you guys have carried this on for 690 replies, 28 pages and over 15000 hits! Amazing and entertaining. Thanks for all the memories. How far can you go?

As we approach Halloween it saddens me to think how fun it was to go house to house when we were kids trick or treating. What a wonderful time it was. Now so many kids are calling it the "devil's holiday," discouraged from participating and only going to church parties or malls. The zoo is a great venue but there's still just something about the old door to door that even my own grandchildren will never know. I'm sorry that we are losing that tradition.

SoonerGirl26
10-29-2008, 09:18 PM
I can't believe you guys have carried this on for 690 replies, 28 pages and over 15000 hits! Amazing and entertaining. Thanks for all the memories. How far can you go?

As we approach Halloween it saddens me to think how fun it was to go house to house when we were kids trick or treating. What a wonderful time it was. Now so many kids are calling it the "devil's holiday," discouraged from participating and only going to church parties or malls. The zoo is a great venue but there's still just something about the old door to door that even my own grandchildren will never know. I'm sorry that we are losing that tradition.

I agree....I used to go out with my friends and go trick or treating for blocks and blocks and blocks.....my mom and dad didn't even know where we were. We would come home with huge sacks of candy. The best treats I liked were the popcorn balls or candied apples the sweet little ladies made. Now days a parent would throw them away before you could eat them. We didn't have any fancy store bought costumes, we got in our closets and came up with a costume. I was a "hobo" many times just putting on my dad's old clothes and a stick with a bag tied to it.

I'm afraid I'm one of those people now that think Halloween is overrated and has gotten too gory over the years. I don't think kids should be going door to door anymore like we did when we were kids....too much risk out there. That's why parents now days load the kids up in the car and take them around to their friends houses or to church carnivals or public events. Yes, Halloween as we knew it is long gone.

Prunepicker
10-29-2008, 09:43 PM
~~~
Everyone mark your calendars now for our next monthly lunch...

Saturday, November 15th - 12:30pm
Dan's Ol' Time Diner - 84th & S. Western

We would like all of you on this thread to come and talk about the good ole days
with us!

As far as I know, I'll be there.

FRISKY
10-29-2008, 10:07 PM
So how about Saturday, November 15th, 12:30 at Dan's Ol' Time Diner at 84th & S. Western? Will that work for everyone?Are they open on Saturdays?

SoonerGirl26
10-29-2008, 10:15 PM
Are they open on Saturdays?

I know they used to be open on Saturdays and closed at 5:00pm, but I will double check.

Generals64
10-30-2008, 06:32 PM
HEY: The chick from Southeast is hustling....that's not right...she's working the streets...no, that's not right...I know, she's doing a great job.....Thanks SoonerGirl26.....

O.K. here are some tidbits to shake up your memories. When you were kids do you remember these toys?

1. The Hummer (not car). a C shape with a Rubber band and a crepe paper streamer...you swung it around on a string with the crepe paper flying in the breeze and a Humming noise coming out.....Man, we must have been bored to death.

2. Winkie Dink Television set cover......
3. Ever make a moving tractor with a match stick a rubber band and a wooden thread spool?
4. Remember the deal with a button and string? You could almost cut off the circulation in your fingers.
5. Paint by number sets......what a mess...Little sisters can always mess up the Lone Ranger and Silver.
6. Mr. Potato Head.....I don't think anyone could afford them when I was young.

WHAT OTHER TOYS DO YOU REMEMBER?

P.S.....Redskins/General:...the music was GREAT Thanks again:.....

SEE YA NEXT TIME:.............................

Prunepicker
10-31-2008, 12:46 PM
O.K. here are some tidbits to shake up your memories. When you were kids do
you remember these toys?

1. The Hummer (not car). a C shape with a Rubber band and a crepe paper
streamer...
2. Winkie Dink Television set cover...
3. Ever make a moving tractor with a match stick a rubber band and a wooden
thread spool?
4. Remember the deal with a button and string? You could almost cut off the
circulation in your fingers.
5. Paint by number sets......what a mess...Little sisters can always mess up the
Lone Ranger and Silver.
6. Mr. Potato Head.....I don't think anyone could afford them when I was young.

WHAT OTHER TOYS DO YOU REMEMBER?

1. Yes, I remember something like that.
2. What? We had this plastic screen that was blue on top, clear in the middle
and green at the bottom. I think it was supposed to resemble color tv.
3. No, but it sounds cool.
4. Yes, but I liked tying the button to the end of the string and fling it like a bolo.
5. My mom did those.
6. Had one or five of 'em.

I remember...
Odd Ogg

Cut outs in the Humpty Dumpty magazine. There was one that had a monkey
that climbed a string. A penny was the weight that caused the movement.

All those Mattel pistols and rifles.

Eggs. Great for throwing at buses. They came 12 to a package. Good cheap fun.

Toys you could order from cereal. 2 box tops and $0.50 got me a Boeing 707.
A submarine that blew up an enemy ship.

oumba96
10-31-2008, 01:55 PM
I grew up on the southside during the 70s and early 80s, on a little acreage which sat on 119th, between penn and may. The little acreage and house I grew up in was sold by my parents in the late 80s and is now the small condos sitting right in front of Fisher Elementary.

Back then, 119th was a two lane road. Our addresses were rural routes. Rivendell was just a bunch of thick woods that you could hardly walk through. Behind us, where Fisher Elementary now sits, was just farm land and ponds. To the west of us, where some doctor offices sit now, was a nice big pond and farm land. We used to jump the fence and go fishing all the time. In the summers, you could sit outside and watch the fireflies.

I would hop the fence and jump a creek and be at Golf Acres, where I worked for four years, until I graduated from high school. It was a great place to grow up.

I still live on the southside - just a little further up the road on 119th between western and penn. A lot has changed in 30 years. But, it still is a great place to raise your kids.

Generals64
10-31-2008, 02:36 PM
Hey you guys:..........what was your favorite Halloween Costume (when you were young enough to go trick or treating)? I know Soonergirl had a costume for Elvira but that doesn't count.....I remember my friend and I wanted to go as Hobos....No beard, his mom mixed up some water and flour (a liquid paste) put it on our faces and then took used coffee grounds and stuck it to our face...worked for me....looked good and it was fun.....How about the rest of the readers???

FRISKY
11-01-2008, 12:06 AM
We were very poor. For Halloween I almost always went as a hobo because we couldn’t afford ‘real’ costumes. I just wore the same old clothes I wore every day, painted a beard on my face and carried a stick with a bag tied on it. I really liked Halloween because it and Christmas was the only time of the year my brother and I got candy. Some years we went to so many houses that we got three full grocery sacks of goodies, enough to last us several months.

Times were different back then. No one around here ever worried about some wacko hurting a child on purpose.

Prunepicker
11-01-2008, 11:24 AM
Hey you guys, what was your favorite Halloween Costume... I know Soonergirl
had a costume for Elvira but that doesn't count...

That was a costume? :Smiley145

I had a pirate outfit, a Droopy dog, a skeleton. Last night I dressed up like a
musician going to a gig.

My dad charred the end of a cork to make a beard.

Generals64
11-01-2008, 12:48 PM
Hey, did you guys notice that we have had more replies to this little unknown thread about the simple life on the southside than the thread about the Devon tower.....Guess the south still lives....Huh?

I begin to remember some of the old times at school and I remember my girlfriend at the time was a Majorette in Grant's band....Our band did a half-time (1962) with the capitol hill band, one of the neat things was they were twirling with fire....and, this girl forgot and used hair spray ....you can figure out what happened next....she had a real short haircut on Monday.....it was kinda funny after the fact though....

Prunepicker
11-01-2008, 01:14 PM
When you finished trick or treating what did you first look for in your sack?

I looked for big candy bars then that peanut butter taffy that came in black and
orange wrappers.

angel27
11-01-2008, 02:26 PM
I dreaded the black & orange taffy.. ate that last.. went for whatever chocolate I got. Was a big deal when some houses gave out regular sized chocolate bars. Most all of our costumes were homemade. And most houses only gave out 1 or 2 pcs of candy. These days I get so few trick or treaters I give them handfuls each! I hated hated hated reading where the family was shot at and one child killed from inside a house last night when they decided to stop & trick or treat at a few houses on their way home from a party (house had its light on).

Best costume was one I made for my son when he was about 5. Was volunteering at the zoo so had collected interesting feathers and made him an Indian outfit with a feathered head-dress. Those were good times.

Hey remember when almost all of us had grandparents still on a farm? Anyone else ring a chicken's neck? Wear a feedsack dress to school? Play with walnut-halved "cars" on the dirt trails under a Walnut tree.. Remember when we wanted something sweet mom would go in the kitchen and make a cake or pie or fudge all from scratch?

Prunepicker
11-01-2008, 02:39 PM
Most all of our costumes were homemade.

About 10 years ago Prunette made our grand daughter a costume that looked like a peanut M&M package. It was great!

Generals64
11-02-2008, 06:36 PM
Something I just remembered about Halloween was there was a man that lived the next block over and he always gave a nickle to the trick or treaters.....Now, you could get all the nickles you wanted but you had to come back in a different costume.....Boy, a nickle must have been worth a lot then compared to now.....Ran out of costume ideas...even dressed in my sister's clothes...that wouldn't be right in today's era.....Man, we had a lot of fun back then and really didn't spend much money doing...(didn't really have any money)....got a lot of nickles though....

Who remembers how to "throw" and spin a top? How about playing marbles....what did you call your main marble? did you ever build a "sling shot"
and then learn how to accurately use it? How about when Lash Larue was on T.V. did yo ever use a whip? (Not you Soonergirl...we understand) pop yourself on the ear or the cheek ? hurt like &%@# didn't it. You guys read my old memories and then give me a hard time...Share some of yours...(Printable ones Soonergirl)....Guys, we've got to keep that S.E. chick moving, she's dangerous....just kidding....make sure you invite some other Spartans to Dan's this month......No Blue and White table centerpeieces though.

See ya next time:.............

SoonerGirl26
11-02-2008, 08:30 PM
[QUOTE=Prunepicker;179567]That was a costume? :Smiley145 QUOTE]

Yes...don't you remember my SE football corsage I had on???

Prunepicker
11-02-2008, 08:35 PM
I can still spin a top and I liked Lash Larue!

Prunepicker
11-02-2008, 08:37 PM
[quote=Prunepicker;179567]That was a costume? :Smiley145 QUOTE]

Yes...don't you remember my SE football corsage I had on???

Oh yeah, it slipped my mind.

SoonerGirl26
11-02-2008, 09:25 PM
Something I just remembered about Halloween was there was a man that lived the next block over and he always gave a nickle to the trick or treaters.....Now, you could get all the nickles you wanted but you had to come back in a different costume.....Boy, a nickle must have been worth a lot then compared to now.....Ran out of costume ideas...even dressed in my sister's clothes...that wouldn't be right in today's era.....Man, we had a lot of fun back then and really didn't spend much money doing...(didn't really have any money)....got a lot of nickles though....

Who remembers how to "throw" and spin a top? How about playing marbles....what did you call your main marble? did you ever build a "sling shot"
and then learn how to accurately use it? How about when Lash Larue was on T.V. did yo ever use a whip? (Not you Soonergirl...we understand) pop yourself on the ear or the cheek ? hurt like &%@# didn't it. You guys read my old memories and then give me a hard time...Share some of yours...(Printable ones Soonergirl)....Guys, we've got to keep that S.E. chick moving, she's dangerous....just kidding....make sure you invite some other Spartans to Dan's this month......No Blue and White table centerpeieces though.

See ya next time:.............

FOR THE GIRLS:
Some of my favorites toys were pickup sticks and jacks. Remember in jacks when you had "onesies, twosies, etc.", "eggs in a basket", "around the world" , "pigs in a pen"....I could play jacks for hours.

Did you ever make Chinese jump ropes with rubber bands....now I thought that was so cool. What about hula hoops, slinky's, silly putty, metal skates clamped to our shoes, pogo sticks.....

Hey Generals64.....no blue and white centerpieces???? How about some old signs for the walls? I think I still have some old "GO SPARTANS BEAT THE GENERALS" somewhere. I am wearing my SE shirt this time. Thankfully for you guys, my old cheerleader uniform is WAY too small to wear!! (Must have shrunk from hanging in the closet for so long.....)

SoonerGirl26
11-02-2008, 09:29 PM
Are they open on Saturdays?

Yes, I checked yesterday and they are open on Saturdays....they close at 4:00pm. So we're still on for Dan's on the 15th.

SoonerGirl26
11-02-2008, 09:35 PM
I can still spin a top and I liked Lash Larue!

I had no idea who Lash Larue was....had to google him. Still don't remember him. And Lash Larue sounds like a girl's name to me.

grantgeneral78
11-03-2008, 04:03 PM
Anyone miss me?..what have i missed ?.....good to be back!

Prunepicker
11-03-2008, 05:03 PM
Anyone miss me?..what have i missed ? Good to be back!

You were gone?

:tiphat:

Generals64
11-03-2008, 07:18 PM
FOR THE GIRLS:
Some of my favorites toys were pickup sticks and jacks. Remember in jacks when you had "onesies, twosies, etc.", "eggs in a basket", "around the world" , "pigs in a pen"....I could play jacks for hours.

Did you ever make Chinese jump ropes with rubber bands....now I thought that was so cool. What about hula hoops, slinky's, silly putty, metal skates clamped to our shoes, pogo sticks.....

Hey Generals64.....no blue and white centerpieces???? How about some old signs for the walls? I think I still have some old "GO SPARTANS BEAT THE GENERALS" somewhere. I am wearing my SE shirt this time. Thankfully for you guys, my old cheerleader uniform is WAY too small to wear!! (Must have shrunk from hanging in the closet for so long.....)

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Boy I appreciate your answering the last question, I always thought Pigs in the Pen was related to Southeast.....Gotcha:..............Hey, how about the little plastic cowboys and indians and the Army men...still remember the tanks and the jeeps now, they were hard to find......How many guys cheated and looked in the baseball/football card packages to make sure who they were getting?....Man, that gum was nasty.......

grantgeneral78
11-04-2008, 07:24 PM
Thanks for the warm INVITE back ...haha

grantgeneral78
11-04-2008, 07:26 PM
There was a dress shop in the shoping center on 59th and penn, my wife was best friends with the daughter...what was the name of that store I cannot remember.

Generals64
11-04-2008, 07:43 PM
There was a dress shop in the shoping center on 59th and penn, my wife was best friends with the daughter...what was the name of that store I cannot remember.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
I'll get you the name but which dress shop?.....The years I was in that center there were more than three in and out. If it was where the TG&Y was I'll find out. I remember it was a woman's name....And, we missed you and your bride....you have to be there on the 15th, you are the guest speaker.....

Generals64
11-05-2008, 06:09 PM
If you are checking out this thread due to it's amount of views we ask for help sometimes on old memories. One such thing is what candies do you guys remember for instance. Remember the was lips and moustaches you could by at TG&Y? Also, there was a wax bottle with a kool-aid type drink in it what was that called? I sold a bunch of them when I was with TG&Y (On the Southside) but can't remember the name...How about the Chicken STIX...Do you remember when TG&Y used to Fresh roast their peanuts and Cashews?

When I was a stockboy with TG&Y the lady that roasted them would always make me a CARE package of Cashews if I would clean up her mess.....Boy, was that worth it....Hot Salted Cashews for a few HOURS of back-breaking work....What other candies are we missing from our old Southside Childhood memories....Anyone?