View Full Version : Southside OKC Memories....anyone?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58

crappiehead
09-18-2008, 11:34 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tommy Gentry was the pitcher's name. I don't know what happened to him aftr high School. I don't remember the nick name of McGilberry but, he was the Indian kid that played on the team now he was an Indian (feather not dot)..Small guy and wired all the time...... I went all the way through the 12th grade with him. Redskins/General was more than a couple of years ahead of us...I have racked my brain and made some wild guesses I first thought of Alvin Burchett.... who has had some major heart problems...then Mike Smith...the thing that threw me is he described Mr. Coots and things to a T..... Now, the deal about Toni from both of you guys has my mind spinning like a clock....That's a part of my past that I want left alone.....the big Leaguer you mentioned must have been Bobby Murcer.
That's one who will be sorely missed. I still hve the wedding on that Mr. Murcer sold my wife....The deal with your knowing my sister's name has also thrown me. Now, you knowing about the used car people throws an angle towards M A....and Jackie......Hmmmm......You guys, I'm getting old and my mind is getting slow....
Oh well, I have one person that I sell all of the merchandise I get during a disaster and yes, he has a tremendous sized warehouse/store.....Hope to buy at least 100 tuck loads................Yes, Judith was her name......
Gen64 you did good on TG; what a fast ball!!!!! The Indian's nickname was "Bugs", fat and slow as molasses!!! If you wanted on base, just bunt to third; we did it one whole game, cause we couldn't hit TG, but, bunted our way to victory!!! Speaking of pitches, you're throwing me curves on the Tony deal and used cars, what's up with that??? I'm back to square one with Red/Gen, I was wrong in my thinking, I think you're right, he's older!!!

crappiehead
09-18-2008, 11:38 AM
CrappieHead:........we had a couple of guys that graduated with us that I have often wondered about...Maybe you can help..I haven't seen them since Graduation night. Don Brown....His dad owned a used car lot on 29th and Walker across from Jude N Jody. And, Richard Jones...His dad owned the Jones drug store in Hillcrest shopping center. Do you know anything about either of these guys???
Gen64, I'm like you, haven't seen or heard from either since leaving school; I remember the Jones guy I think, having an older bro!!!

crappiehead
09-18-2008, 12:30 PM
CRAPPIEHEAD:....Something else interesting:.....I was looking for Danny Parker's grave out at resthaven and got twisted around. I looked over and down and saw Aaron Cummings (killed in Viet Nam) Grave and then noticed that I was standing on Semrad's grave. Cummings used to get busted by Semrad all the time...Semrad (when we were in Jr. High) was actually the Student Counselor.....I thought it ironic that they would be laid to rest next to each other ....I guess eternity is a long time.
Do you remember when we would play "Dodgeball" in Gym? The pitcher you were talking about was on the other team in class one day and it was down to him and a couple of others and I grabbed a Soft Dodgeball...I was leading a bit threw the ball and hit coach Brown in the side of the head. He was leaning back in his chair and pow he fell out...shouldn't have laughed....tht guy almost beat me to death with the paddle.....I was Black and blue for days....So much fun......
Gen64 Dodgeball was a fun gig under the supervision of Don Brown, it was fun times, and yes, he could blister one's fanny as good as any!!!!!!!

Generals64
09-18-2008, 03:01 PM
Gen64 Dodgeball was a fun gig under the supervision of Don Brown, it was fun times, and yes, he could blister one's fanny as good as any!!!!!!!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HEY: I just got through talking to Alan Lawrence at the bank. He asked about the class reunion...I definitely plan on attending this one...How about you???

See ya next time:.........................

grantgeneral78
09-18-2008, 06:19 PM
what was the name of the doughnut shop on 29th on the north side of the road between blackwelder and western?

Generals64
09-18-2008, 06:20 PM
what was the name of the doughnut shop on 29th on the north side of the road between blackwelder and western?

-------------------------------------------------------
Dennis Donuts of course......................

Generals64
09-18-2008, 07:26 PM
Yo! Janey Lynn. You've officially made 1 (one) whole post :congrats:

Welcome to the list. The south siders are going to meet at Cattleman's next
month! It'll be a good time, after all "We've made the news!"

Jim's was where mom took us for grocery shopping.

HEY! YOU SOUTH SIDERS!!!

Who delivered your milk? Ours was Meadow Gold in glass jugs! But that was
after we got our milk at the dairy on 59th and Walker.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey:...I thought you lived in the"High Rent" district of the southside....Borden's delivered our milk over on 47/Independence....Then the Bread man came by 3 days a week. And then there was Mr. Coffey...Insurance salesman...he collected 13 cents a week on my mom/dad's insurance policy......Then it all stopped (except for mr. coffey)........i just stopped and really thought that, you know there were ALL kinds of salesman going door to door back then..Pots/pans/ Vacuum cleaners,
laundry supplies...just about everything. I remember the tornado of 1960, there were salesman selling everything from Paint to furniture....door to door.....What happened to those days?
Do you remember when it was safe to "Pop" fire crackers (not fireworks) how about the Cherry Bomb...M80, sparklers that would burn the fool out of you...Lady fingers.....When was the last time you saw a kid flying a kite..(that didn't cost $50.00) ? 10 cent kites, 5cents worth of string and days and days of fun..we used to pray for the wind....

see ya:............

Prunepicker
09-18-2008, 07:39 PM
Hey... I thought you lived in the"High Rent" district of the southside...
That's a laugh!

... you know there were ALL kinds of salesman
going door to door back then..Pots/pans/ Vacuum cleaners, laundry supplies...

How about the Jewel Tea man!

Do you remember when it was safe to "Pop" fire
crackers (not fireworks) ...

No kiddin'. Nobody cared if you had fun.

how about the Cherry Bomb... M80, sparklers that
would burn the fool out of you... Lady fingers...

Those were a little too hot.

When was the last time you saw a kid flying a
kite...

It's been a while. My grandson flew a regular kite last year. When I was a kid
we'd have kite wars. We'd put razor blades on our kites and tear each other
up.

we used to pray for the wind...

IN OKLAHOMA?

grantgeneral78
09-18-2008, 07:40 PM
-------------------------------------------------------
Dennis Donuts of course......................

Thats right, our car when i was young the wheel flew off and whacked a lady in front of the shop, of course she was fine. was kind of funny to us kids though.

Generals64
09-18-2008, 07:57 PM
I remember a late snow and the kites were finally put on sale at the dime store and we bought our yearly NEW kite....I came up with this really "cool" idea (was really stupid) to put a snowball w/rocks on the string let it out slowly and then when a car came by yank on the string and the snowball would fall on top of the car...Got in a lot of trouble but there was a kid on the block (Tommy) we would just blame him for the dumb ideas.
I remember one time when we thought we were too old for Marbles....There was a family on the block that were broke Period...The kids never had anything and so in my infinite wisdom I told one of the boys he could have all of my marbles...All he had to do was catch them.....Forgot to tell him I was going to throw them at him with a slingshot.....wonder I didn't kill him.....How about B-B Gun fights? Did you every have the desire to just get shot at? Not very smart....lot of fun though......
How about when all the kids on the block would play hide and go seek....there was always one that we would not try to find.....Or Crawdad fishing???wonderful smell Huh??? Or, how about Tadpoles.....Why they smell so bad is beyond me...
I have an older sister that was pretty good looking (still is) and the older boys would try to get me to help them be around her....I didn't care.....One of them decided that he and I should sleep outside one night and get early and go pick sand Plums....Do you know what a chigger is????do you know how bad they itch before you tell your mom and have to explain the different parts of your body that the chiggers have gotten to??? and then SHE had to douse you down with Coal Oil (Kerosene) and Campho phinique (sp.) There is NOT enough money on earth to get me to pick sand plums again....EVER>>>>EVER.....

crappiehead
09-19-2008, 07:12 PM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Guys, we have anew old Southsider...Welcome...Do you remember where on 44th any closer?...There was a post Office in Mayridge...Western Auto...Barber Shop...T.G.&Y....Pay-less shoes....Foy's IGA (Jim's IGA) Shaw Drug..The Laundry and then a Seedy Bar.....Along with the Ice Machine....I remember riding our bicycles inside the building before they started sectioning off the different stores. They then started developing the neighborhood to the south....One of my fourth grade buddies was run and killed by one of the large pieces of Equipment....that's a bad southside memory......Does anyone remember anything about Gayla Peevey???
Ge64, I think that seedy bar was the "Pelican Club"!!!!!! My Uncle visited it regularly in his prime!!!!!!

crappiehead
09-19-2008, 07:17 PM
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HEY: I just got through talking to Alan Lawrence at the bank. He asked about the class reunion...I definitely plan on attending this one...How about you???

See ya next time:.........................
Gen64, if I'm still here, I plan on attending; since buying this place from my in laws, and moving them to the back guest house; it kind of keeps me too busy; I'm thinking of moving in the near future!!!!! Which bank does Alan work for, haven't sween him in forever!!!!! It's been a fun gig here at Eufaula for the last 2 years, but, lately I've had itchy feet, for greener pasteurs!!!!!

crappiehead
09-19-2008, 07:25 PM
We used to go sewer trapsing on the southside of town; used to always enter in Brock Park, at the big drainage entrances, then, walk underground on the whole southside of town; they weren't really sewers, but, drainage pipes, they were huge, and we used to come up underneath the metal grades in neighborhood's and scream, "help", people would run over, then we'd be gone; did it a million and one times!!!!! Passed many an hour with some old southsiders doing that!!!! :bright_id

Generals64
09-19-2008, 07:26 PM
Gen64, if I'm still here, I plan on attending; since buying this place from my in laws, and moving them to the back guest house; it kind of keeps me too busy; I'm thinking of moving in the near future!!!!! Which bank does Alan work for, haven't sween him in forever!!!!! It's been a fun gig here at Eufaula for the last 2 years, but, lately I've had itchy feet, for greener pasteurs!!!!!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alan doesn't work for the bank, he is in construction and is heading for the Gulf Coast....I finally got my Motorhome livable today, My wife and I don't really use it but it is very helpful when there are NO rooms available. They say the closet room I could find in South Texas would be close to 145 miles North and they are at the high stated Rates....Not me........i really envy you whoever you are..I keep trying to get the wife to move to Red River, New Mexico. Just me and her and the dog....the grown and gone what the heck. I could always work in a retail place....that's all red River is anyway......She could substitute teach...Have I got you convinced yet? Didn't think so...Oh well what the heck.

See ya later:...................

crappiehead
09-19-2008, 08:10 PM
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alan doesn't work for the bank, he is in construction and is heading for the Gulf Coast....I finally got my Motorhome livable today, My wife and I don't really use it but it is very helpful when there are NO rooms available. They say the closet room I could find in South Texas would be close to 145 miles North and they are at the high stated Rates....Not me........i really envy you whoever you are..I keep trying to get the wife to move to Red River, New Mexico. Just me and her and the dog....the grown and gone what the heck. I could always work in a retail place....that's all red River is anyway......She could substitute teach...Have I got you convinced yet? Didn't think so...Oh well what the heck.

See ya later:...................
Gen64........ Convinced of what?????? Are you still identity chasing??????? I just love this site, that's all I'm out for!!!!! I love the memory's!!!!! I'm the modern day Kunta Kente, my "Roots" are on the southside, hahaha!!!!! You'll know who I am at the 45th Reunion, I promise!!!!!!! You'll barely remember me!!!!!

Generals64
09-19-2008, 08:27 PM
Gen64........ Convinced of what?????? Are you still identity chasing??????? I just love this site, that's all I'm out for!!!!! I love the memory's!!!!! I'm the modern day Kunta Kente, my "Roots" are on the southside, hahaha!!!!! You'll know who I am at the 45th Reunion, I promise!!!!!!! You'll barely remember me!!!!!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I don't care who you are.....You are who you want to be...I'm trying to convince someone (my wife) to sell everything and moved to the mountains....been a life long ambition of mine....And, yes, I did know Billy is in Miami. He and Arron Cummings grabbed me one time in the seventh grade and put me on their shoulders just as Semrad walked around the corner....Man, those swats hurt...first ones that I got at dear old Grant High.

Generals64
09-19-2008, 08:37 PM
Here's a good one for you::::::::::EVERYONE ....Name as many movie theaters in OKC (beginning with Southside) as you possibly can.....Both old and new....Drive-inns theaters etc.....

Here's the beginning:

Chieftain...Redskin...Agnew...Rodeo..........finis h the string of theaters.....

1..Where was the ORIGINAL Fair Grounds:...........???????
2. Who was Gayla Peevey:.........She was from Southside went to John Adams.....
3. Does anyone remember who Chebon Dacon was????
4. How about Speegle:...any stories about him????
5. Don Todd:..........any stories about him and/or his first wife?
6. Mrs. Manning...not the english teacher:....crappiehead...you were in her class at one time......
7. None of you guys or gals have had the nerve to mention Mrs. Vaughan......I know she had her own personal Broom...I'm sure of that......Remember Prepositional Phrases
8. What happened to the General in the front foyer of the school???did they moved it or what?
9. There was a Grant General that was lead singer for Blood, Sweat and Tears;.....Know who it was......Name him Prunepicker and I'll buy your next Hot dog.

See ya next time:..........................

grantgeneral78
09-20-2008, 11:30 PM
I seen something yesterday I havent seen in years...remember the sonic plastic animals on the cups....

A guy was driving around the southside with some glues to his car among other things, was a interesting site to say the least.

grantgeneral78
09-21-2008, 08:07 PM
There was a old indian guy who used to walk up and down 25th street in front of our body shop and eventually started riding a bike he had a big ole hat with feathers in it and if I recall right they called him indian joe. Does anyone know him or of him?

Prunepicker
09-21-2008, 09:21 PM
...Name as many movie theaters in OKC
(beginning with Southside) as you possibly can... Both old and new...
Drive-ins theaters etc...

Here's the beginning:

Chieftain... Redskin... Agnew... Rodeo...

Knob Hill, Yale, Criterion...
Riviera, Airline, 14 Flags, Hillcrest, Western Dip...

1.Where was the ORIGINAL Fair Grounds?
2. Who was Gayla Peevey? She was from Southside went to John Adams...
3. Does anyone remember who Chebon Dacon was?
4. How about Speegle... any stories about him?
5. Don Todd... any stories about him and/or his first wife?
6. Mrs. Manning... not the english teacher... crappiehead... you were in
her class at one time...
7. None of you guys or gals have had the nerve to mention Mrs. Vaughan...
I know she had her own personal Broom... I'm sure of that... Remember Prepositional Phrases?
8. What happened to the General in the front foyer of the school? Did they moved it or what?
9. There was a Grant General that was lead singer for Blood, Sweat and
Tears. Know who it was? Name him Prunepicker and I'll buy your next Hot dog.

1. Where Douglas High School is now, N.E. 10th & Eastern.
2. Lou Ann Peevey's sister?
3. Didn't he set the Grant record for the most swats in a day?
4. He either sold boats or had a great Christmas catalog.
5. I played a few gigs with him.
6. She was my music teacher at Jefferson, Jr. High. A nice lady.
7. I remember Prepositional H.
8. He finished the detention Semrad gave him and went home.
9. I don't know but can only guess. Steve Katz? Bobby Doyle? Jerry Fisher?

cindyl57
09-24-2008, 07:30 AM
77 Drive Inn on Shields aka Hwy 77

proud2Bsooner
09-24-2008, 07:35 AM
I think this thread is for those that remember when 44th street was "out in the country".

;-)

FRISKY
09-24-2008, 08:00 AM
When I was growing up 44th street was in town, but everything south of 74th was "in the country".

grantgeneral78
09-24-2008, 03:25 PM
I think this thread is for those that remember when 44th street was "out in the country".

;-)

Nah there are a few of us here that dont have a clue what some of them are talking about also :dizzy:

andy157
09-24-2008, 08:55 PM
Here's a good one for you::::::::::EVERYONE ....Name as many movie theaters in OKC (beginning with Southside) as you possibly can.....Both old and new....Drive-inns theaters etc.....

Here's the beginning:

Chieftain...Redskin...Agnew...Rodeo..........finis h the string of theaters.....

6. Mrs. Manning...not the english teacher:....crappiehead...you were in her class at one time......
7. None of you guys or gals have had the nerve to mention Mrs. Vaughan......I know she had her own personal Broom...I'm sure of that......Remember Prepositional Phrases
8. What happened to the General in the front foyer of the school???did they moved it or what?
9. There was a Grant General that was lead singer for Blood, Sweat and Tears;.....Know who it was......Name him Prunepicker and I'll buy your next Hot dog.

See ya next time:..........................3. Chebon Dacon.... Played quarterback for Capitol Hill in the mid sixties. One of the best there ever was. He is a Native American artist. 4. Which Speegle are you asking about? If you want stories, colorful stories I might add, then one could only assume you are asking about C.B. (Spike) Speegle III. Cant help you on any of the other ????

LovableGoober
09-24-2008, 09:09 PM
9. There was a Grant General that was lead singer for Blood, Sweat and Tears;.

David Clayton Thomas?

Redskins/General
09-25-2008, 03:11 PM
David Clayton Thomas?
I think Jerry Fisher is the answer General64 was looking for as a Grant General who ended up with Blood, Sweat and Tears. David Clayton Thomas was born in England and grew up in Canada!!

Redskins/General
09-25-2008, 07:13 PM

Here's the beginning:

1. As Mr. Prunepicker said, started at the North edge of the eastern Bridge about
about N.E. 4th and ran towards N.E. 10th on the east side of the street !!

2. Gayla Peevey/aka/Jamie Horton made her claim to "Fame" with Xmas song in
1953 (9 years old) "I want a Hippopotamus for Christmas" and recorded about
two dozen songs under both names. She moved to California (land of fruits nd
Nuts) and still lives there. Only messin' with ya' there Mr. Prunepicker. She
graduated and became a teacher there, then went into the real estate and
last I
heard she owned an Advertising or real estate business of her own... The sick
part of all this is that I have every recording she or her "Sound Alike" Jimmy
Boyd who's claim to fame was "Kitty in a Basket" ever made.

3. Chebon Dacon was QB football player for Capitol Hill in 66 & 67, now he is an
Indian Artist selling his paintings out of the back of his pick up truck.

4. Like the fellow already said, which Speegle are you refering to? C.B. was the
most famous and two of his three sons did pretty well. One son (which may
be dead now?) owned the Points After Club at about 61st and South Western
for many years..

5. You do realize Don Todd the Band Director who passed away last April got his
start in Thailand playing the flute as a "Snake Charmer." Rumor has it that he
lost his first wife due to Generals64 more charming appeal !! Only kidding you
G64 !

6. None other than Mrs. Mary Manning, music teacher and one "NICE LADY."

7. Well "Dangle My Participle" who would have THUNK of such a woman. I
actually knew her before she was married and lived in a duplex just south of
of Yount's Super Market and drove a 2 door 57 Chevy Del Ray. She was a lot
nicer out of the classroom..

8. Word has it that the Grant General in the front Foyer somehow wound up in
Generals64's living room mounted on the fire place Hearth with it's head
starring
up at a Moosehead !! Don't worry though, it's not going anywhere because
legend has it that it's mounted securely to a large piece of MOON ROCK which
was "Presidentially Presented" to the new owner. It sit's next to a empty
shell casing which is said to be the one fired by Lee Harvey Oswald and held
the disastrous bullet !! I kinda' wonder about that though, don't you !!

9. Could that have been that "Good Looking Handsome Devil" Jerry Fisher???

All in Fun Mr. Generals64, so go ahead and laugh, and besides that,
Mr. Prunepicker made me type all this crapola!! And he'll probably get the dang
free Hot Dog!!

Prunepicker
09-25-2008, 10:02 PM
I think Jerry Fisher is the answer General64 was looking for as a Grant General
who ended up with Blood, Sweat and Tears. David Clayton Thomas was born in
England and grew up in Canada!!

Maybe he rode the bus...

grantgeneral78
09-26-2008, 04:48 PM
Here is one bet yall dont know....where did sean o grady box in a exhibition match on the south side once?

grantgeneral78
09-26-2008, 05:30 PM
Did anyone ever go ride there bikes at 5 9. We would stay over there for hours on end riding those hills and creeks. There was also the crawdad creek we used to get our bait to fish the old farm ponds farther south. Also you talk about a 'FUN PARK" was when they were building OCCC. There was so much to do over there during construction..of course that is off the record.

Prunepicker
09-26-2008, 06:00 PM
Here is one bet yall dont know... where did sean o grady box in a exhibition match
on the south side once?

The Stockyards Collesium.

We were big fans of Sean. Dad and Pat were good friends. We had ring side
seats to virtually every fight in OKC. Dad bought Sean his first pair of professional
boxing shoes.

Prunepicker
09-26-2008, 06:04 PM
Did anyone ever go ride there bikes at 5 9. We would stay over there for hours on
end riding those hills and creeks. There was also the crawdad creek we used to
get our bait to fish the old farm ponds farther south. Also you talk about a 'FUN
PARK" was when they were building OCCC. There was so much to do over there
during construction..of course that is off the record.

I remember going to the place just off of Independence and 59th. It was on the
south side of the street. It was pretty big. The one on the north side was good.
There was a rumor that a kid was killed on a motorcycle there and his mom had
the hills filled in.

grantgeneral78
09-26-2008, 06:23 PM
I remember going to the place just off of Independence and 59th. It was on the
south side of the street. It was pretty big. The one on the north side was good.
There was a rumor that a kid was killed on a motorcycle there and his mom had
the hills filled in.

That would be the place picker and we heard the same rumor as well. And also correct on ogrady I remember it well.

Ok here is one; Where was your fishin hole on the southside guys and gals?

FRISKY
09-26-2008, 07:06 PM
Where was your fishin hole on the southside guys and gals?I used the farm ponds south of 104th on Penn and the pond at Hillcrest Golf and Country Club.

Prunepicker
09-26-2008, 07:38 PM
Ok here is one; Where was your fishin hole on the southside guys and gals?

The Hungarian's lake behind the screen at the Hillcrest Drive-in?

You're too young to know this stuff. Who's prompting you? Your mom?

C'mon!

:gossip:

Prunepicker
09-26-2008, 07:43 PM
I used the farm ponds south of 104th on Penn and the pond at Hillcrest Golf and Country Club.

Hey! I fished the HGCC lakes, too. I remember catching a good sized bullhead, a
type of catfish for you Yankees. Buster used to chase us off the course about 7 times a week.

I wonder if he died young because of me? OY!

Oh, the money we'd made gathering practice range balls. Heck, when we were
finished, we'd go to the 7/11 on 59th and get a quart of chocolate milk and a
bag of corn candy!

grantgeneral78
09-26-2008, 08:33 PM
The Hungarian's lake behind the screen at the Hillcrest Drive-in?

You're too young to know this stuff. Who's prompting you? Your mom?

C'mon!

:gossip:

HAHA no i remember this stuff even though I do still have puppy`s breath. Well maybe not puppy`s ewww.

Yes I fished that one myself and had rock salt shot at me on the pond by 74th off I-44......by the way salt burns!

grantgeneral78
09-26-2008, 08:35 PM
I used the farm ponds south of 104th on Penn and the pond at Hillcrest Golf and Country Club.

I fished for golf balls there myself Frisky!

never got me a fish there though sheesh.

grantgeneral78
09-26-2008, 08:43 PM
Ok here is a fun one for the group:

In high school what was your first car?

What did you do in the car that you never told your folks about?

Generals64
09-26-2008, 08:47 PM
Hey you guys, just came home from the land of "IKE".....Redskin, you're very right
about Jerry Fisher (class of '61). He made one album with Blood, Sweat and Tears....He owned a club in Bay St. Louis until Katrina blew it away he said he was taking the Insurance money and moving to Colorado...where I think he is now. I can't believe you knew Gayla.....You probably knew my sister also they were Grade School friends..."I want a Hippopotamus for Christmas". Chebon Dacon was one of the best QB Capitol Hill...C.B.Speegle was one of the top winning southside coaches especially in Capitol Hill's Dynasty years....Old Fair Grounds was where Douglass is now. I only remember going there a few times before they moved it (1957) to the present site and Oklahoma's Semi-Centennial. You know, we have quite a few people watching this Thread...Let's keep it going.....Do you remember Johnny Hughes????? One-hit Wonder (Johnny blues). Also, did you ever go to the Kiwanis Club Dances back in the 50's?

Let me know:.....Houston is a mess but, Galveston is no more...I bought 30,000 pounds of coffee and about 20,000 shirts. All of it is beginning to break lose down there....

See ya next time:...............

Generals64
09-26-2008, 08:51 PM
1. As Mr. Prunepicker said, started at the North edge of the eastern Bridge about
about N.E. 4th and ran towards N.E. 10th on the east side of the street !!

2. Gayla Peevey/aka/Jamie Horton made her claim to "Fame" with Xmas song in
1953 (9 years old) "I want a Hippopotamus for Christmas" and recorded about
two dozen songs under both names. She moved to California (land of fruits nd
Nuts) and still lives there. Only messin' with ya' there Mr. Prunepicker. She
graduated and became a teacher there, then went into the real estate and
last I
heard she owned an Advertising or real estate business of her own... The sick
part of all this is that I have every recording she or her "Sound Alike" Jimmy
Boyd who's claim to fame was "Kitty in a Basket" ever made.

3. Chebon Dacon was QB football player for Capitol Hill in 66 & 67, now he is an
Indian Artist selling his paintings out of the back of his pick up truck.

4. Like the fellow already said, which Speegle are you refering to? C.B. was the
most famous and two of his three sons did pretty well. One son (which may
be dead now?) owned the Points After Club at about 61st and South Western
for many years..

5. You do realize Don Todd the Band Director who passed away last April got his
start in Thailand playing the flute as a "Snake Charmer." Rumor has it that he
lost his first wife due to Generals64 more charming appeal !! Only kidding you
G64 !

6. None other than Mrs. Mary Manning, music teacher and one "NICE LADY."

7. Well "Dangle My Participle" who would have THUNK of such a woman. I
actually knew her before she was married and lived in a duplex just south of
of Yount's Super Market and drove a 2 door 57 Chevy Del Ray. She was a lot
nicer out of the classroom..

8. Word has it that the Grant General in the front Foyer somehow wound up in
Generals64's living room mounted on the fire place Hearth with it's head
starring
up at a Moosehead !! Don't worry though, it's not going anywhere because
legend has it that it's mounted securely to a large piece of MOON ROCK which
was "Presidentially Presented" to the new owner. It sit's next to a empty
shell casing which is said to be the one fired by Lee Harvey Oswald and held
the disastrous bullet !! I kinda' wonder about that though, don't you !!

9. Could that have been that "Good Looking Handsome Devil" Jerry Fisher???

All in Fun Mr. Generals64, so go ahead and laugh, and besides that,
Mr. Prunepicker made me type all this crapola!! And he'll probably get the dang
free Hot Dog!!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Man, I didn't think anyone would remember Mrs. Vaughan...Still remember the
Prepositions she REQUIRED you to quote before passing the 8th grade English class. Todd was a Good Guy.....I do still have the Moosehead from Crystals hanging over the fireplace.......And yes, I'll laugh about it all....By the way....name two other one-hit recorders from the Southsider....

TeriOKC
09-27-2008, 05:43 AM
The place all of you are referring to on 59th & Independence is what we called "Bicycle Hills". I remember well all of us riding our bikes there, and I was chicken to go down any of the "high" hills (looking back, none of them were high at all!). I thought I was pretty cool with my metallic turqoise bicycle, with banana seat and butterfly handlebars - and white basket with pink flowers!

Generals64
09-27-2008, 08:06 AM
The place all of you are referring to on 59th & Independence is what we called "Bicycle Hills". I remember well all of us riding our bikes there, and I was chicken to go down any of the "high" hills (looking back, none of them were high at all!). I thought I was pretty cool with my metallic turqoise bicycle, with banana seat and butterfly handlebars - and white basket with pink flowers!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Sissy Bike"....you probably run and throw like a girl. When they began building that addition (59th & Independence) there was a Huge pond there...Maybe a small lake. The men on the heavy equipment cut the back of the dam out and let the water drain into what is known as Lightning creek. We (late 50's early 60's) would go down there and fish. They left the pond and the dam in big hill type areas for years. There was another pond (we called it West Pond) west of Independence on about 53rd st. close to the area highway 44 now sits.

Generals64
09-27-2008, 08:09 AM
Ok here is a fun one for the group:

In high school what was your first car?

What did you do in the car that you never told your folks about?

1951 Chevrolet 4 door with the name ACME Cleaners on the doors, paid $65.00 for it and BLEW the motor out of it two weeks later. Nothing in the car didn't have it long enough. However, my next car was a 1955 Chevrolet Bel Aire...Salmon and Gray in color and I'll stop right there.....

Generals64
09-27-2008, 09:10 AM
Old-Timers disease once again:.....There was the Comet Skating Rink, The Rocket Skating Rink and the Agnew Skating rink...were ther anymore in OKC? I seem to remember one in Del City on 29th but can't remember the name.

Redskins/General
09-27-2008, 12:41 PM
The Stockyards Collesium.

We were big fans of Sean. Dad and Pat were good friends. We had ring side
seats to virtually every fight in OKC. Dad bought Sean his first pair of professional
boxing shoes.
He also use to Box on Friday nights at the "Red Carpet Inn" on 1-35 and S.E. 29th when he was 15 years old. The club there was a hot spot during the "Oily Days." His dad caught a lot of Flack for letting him fight so young...

Redskins/General
09-27-2008, 01:08 PM
Hey you guys, just came home from the land of "IKE".....Redskin, you're very right
about Jerry Fisher (class of '61). He made one album with Blood, Sweat and Tears....He owned a club in Bay St. Louis until Katrina blew it away he said he was taking the Insurance money and moving to Colorado...where I think he is now. I can't believe you knew Gayla.....You probably knew my sister also they were Grade School friends..."I want a Hippopotamus for Christmas". Chebon Dacon was one of the best QB Capitol Hill...C.B.Speegle was one of the top winning southside coaches especially in Capitol Hill's Dynasty years....Old Fair Grounds was where Douglass is now. I only remember going there a few times before they moved it (1957) to the present site and Oklahoma's Semi-Centennial. You know, we have quite a few people watching this Thread...Let's keep it going.....Do you remember Johnny Hughes????? One-hit Wonder (Johnny blues). Also, did you ever go to the Kiwanis Club Dances back in the 50's?

Let me know:.....Houston is a mess but, Galveston is no more...I bought 30,000 pounds of coffee and about 20,000 shirts. All of it is beginning to break lose down there....

I remember John Hughes (who he was) famous song writer, wrote "Sixteen Candles" and a multitude of other's!! The song "Johnny Blues" was kind of a tribute to Johnny Cash sang by Joe Ely!! Do you remember or did you know Mike Raymond (Grant Graduate) who went on to be the drummer for "Mitch Rider and the Detroit Wheel's?" Bet you didn't know that. We all knew Anthony Armstrong Jones (Ronnie Jones) now deceased. Lived next door to Conway Twitty on South Country Club drive. Conway (Harold Jenkins) taught him how to play the guitar and he would have made it big if he would have left the drugs alone. That's why Conway shucked him after several warnings. He was a pretty good kid though, I use to drive him up to the store and buy him beer when he was a kid. Maybe that contributed to his demise, Oh Well. I have the only two albums he ever recorded. He opened up a club in Shrieveport, La called "Proud Mary's" until his death a few years back. I bet you didn't know he had epilepsy either? Had a seizure at one of my friend's house one evening.. Didn't quite understand your question about one time wonder's, I know ton's of singers who were one time wonders, is that what you meant??

Generals64
09-27-2008, 01:26 PM
I remember John Hughes (who he was) famous song writer, wrote "Sixteen Candles" and a multitude of other's!! The song "Johnny Blues" was kind of a tribute to Johnny Cash sang by Joe Ely!! Do you remember or did you know Mike Raymond (Grant Graduate) who went on to be the drummer for "Mitch Rider and the Detroit Wheel's?" Bet you didn't know that. We all knew Anthony Armstrong Jones (Ronnie Jones) now deceased. Lived next door to Conway Twitty on South Country Club drive. Conway (Harold Jenkins) taught him how to play the guitar and he would have made it big if he would have left the drugs alone. That's why Conway shucked him after several warnings. He was a pretty good kid though, I use to drive him up to the store and buy him beer when he was a kid. Maybe that contributed to his demise, Oh Well. I have the only two albums he ever recorded. He opened up a club in Shrieveport, La called "Proud Mary's" until his death a few years back. I bet you didn't know he had epilepsy either? Had a seizure at one of my friend's house one evening.. Didn't quite understand your question about one time wonder's, I know ton's of singers who were one time wonders, is that what you meant??
Ronnie Kaye was Johnny Hughes mentor and promoter and his one song wonder was just Johnny Blues about a guy that was in Love. Talked to Ronny not long about him at function and low and behold he hauled out the song and played it....
Mike Raymon....Hmmmm. have known Mike Raymond since his first day at Roosevelt. Taught him how to play the Baritone and was a mickey mouse Garage band at his hous. Didn't know he played with Mitch Ryder. Talked to Mike week before last......He's off on another promotional thing. He is a good drummer and a real good baritone player. He plays a Valve Trombone...Ronnie Jones...ran around with Max Tatum and that group 1967 graduates. Yes, I knew about the seziures and knew too much about the drug problem. He was a good guy...my wife tells me he would sing to her at grade school. Twitty was one of the best friends I ever had as well as Joe Lewis and PorkChop and John Hughey. Ronnie just wasn't ready...I always think about him when I here someone sing Proud Mary. Twitty just wouldn't put up with the nonsense that would go on.

crappiehead
09-27-2008, 01:46 PM

Gen64, if you drink all that coffee, no tellin how much trivia we'll get out of you, during your "sleepness" night's, hahaha!!!!!! At least you'll have some new shirts to pick from!!!!!!

Generals64
09-27-2008, 02:00 PM
All Right, Prunepicker is the only one to come up with the names of anymore OKC theaters. There was Almonte...State...Park...Tower...Will
Rogers...Criterion...Redskin...Chieftain...I know there were more than that.....

What was the name of the old Shop Teacher at Grant???? Can any of you guys help me out?

crappiehead
09-27-2008, 02:03 PM

Here's the beginning:

Chebon was a little league pitcher for Heronville, and his grandfather coached, he was very good, even as a kid, and yes, he did make Capitol Hill a heck of a QB!!!! C. B. Speegle's last wife was my 2nd cousin, played in a golf scramble with him at Lake Eufaula around 1990 at Arrowhead GC; was a very good athelete himself, even as an older man!!!!! My cousin died while married to him!!!

crappiehead
09-27-2008, 02:06 PM
All Right, Prunepicker is the only one to come up with the names of anymore OKC theaters. There was Almonte...State...Park...Tower...Will
Rogers...Criterion...Redskin...Chieftain...I know there were more than that.....

What was the name of the old Shop Teacher at Grant???? Can any of you guys help me out?
Gen/64 I remember Bingham in metal work, Nees in wood work, McCain in electricity, Nibly (I think) in mechanical drawing, I see the older guy, but, can't put a name to it just yet!!!!!!

Redskins/General
09-27-2008, 02:59 PM
Gen/64 I remember Bingham in metal work, Nees in wood work, McCain in electricity, Nibly (I think) in mechanical drawing, I see the older guy, but, can't put a name to it just yet!!!!!!
How about Mr. Ross for wood work and McCain again for printing? Can you think of the Mechanical Art's Teacher's name??

Generals64
09-27-2008, 09:05 PM
How about Mr. Ross for wood work and McCain again for printing? Can you think of the Mechanical Art's Teacher's name??

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wasn't it Mr. Keas?...I think he also taught Driver's Education. His son graduated with us in '64....

grantgeneral78
09-27-2008, 09:06 PM
Funny story about Ronny Kaye, I was working at Jack Clark crysler and plymouth when his wifes car came in on a wrecker with all the widows broke out and dents all over the car. We thought it was hail damage, apparently Ronny got pissed off at his wife and beat the crap outta the car with a hammer or bat I dont really recall.

Generals64
09-27-2008, 09:10 PM
Crappiehead:...did you know that Frankie Howe died in a hunting accident?. I talked with his wife and she said he was working on his tree stand, something snapped, he fell to the ground and was dead. Boy, can I remember some stories about some things he and I did....Maybe I shouldn't.....I remember the girl in our class that married Mr. Fuller had on one tight skirt and Howe thought it would be funny to see Tommy Elliott sit on the tack...instead. the girl sat down and sure enough, the skirt got tighter. I have remember about that since highschool and last spring, I found where she lived and worked and went to her and apologized.....she didn't remember it...she just said "you guys tried something all the time".

Prunepicker
09-27-2008, 09:26 PM
Gen/64 I remember Bingham in metal work, Nees in wood work, McCain in electricity, Nibly (I think) in mechanical drawing, I see the older guy, but, can't put a name to it just yet!

Bingham! He was my shop teacher at Jefferson, Jr. High. I absolutely drove him
crazy. On morning I was working on a project and came over to help. He said, as
serious as I've ever heard, "you ain't takin' shop next year, are you?"

Needless to say, I didn't

Oy, that man could give swats. I don't think he wore anything except over alls.

Prunepicker
09-27-2008, 09:30 PM
How about Mr. Ross for wood work and McCain
again for printing? Can you think of the Mechanical Art's Teacher's name??

Would it have been Mr. Whitaker or Mr. Holloway? I was sub teaching a few years
back and Mr. Holloway was there. I didn't know what to do.

Don't forget Mr. Everhardt, the golf instructor. He gave hard swats, too.

In my year book he wrote, to the greatest kid I know from the greatest person
I know.

Redskins/General
09-28-2008, 05:52 PM

Do you remember the Blue Moon Theater on exchange, not the Hotel!! It was operating while the Rodeo was in business.

Here's a few to help your "Old Timer's Disease" and jog your memory just a bit.
The South Park, Park Terrace, Chieftain, Redskin, Knob Hill, Yale, Capitol, Warner/Cooper, State, Criterion, The May, The Villa, The Towers,, Plaza, Mayflower, Shepherd Twin, Will Rogers, Almonte, Reding 4, Rodeo, Agnew, Westwood Theater, North Penn TWin Drive In, Quail Springs 6, Quail Twin, Ritz, South Shields Mall, Twilight Gardens Drive-In Theater, Britton Theater, The Coronado, Empire Theater, Frontier City had a Theater, Springlake Cinema (with air conditioning) years ago. How about the BISON!!& the Majestic!! The Rialto..

Some drive in's were the Airline, Hillcrest, Winchester, Lake Air Drive-In, Sooner Twin, The Bomber on Reno & Douglas, Riviera Drive-in, 77 Drive In, THe Skyline, The Skyview. That's enough for me.. My brain's gettin' tired...