View Full Version : Lost articles, "treasure trove", litter etc. at the bottom of Lake Hefner

Joe Kimball
06-04-2008, 09:04 PM
Seeing as Lake Hefner filled up sufficiently for recreation in 1958, there's been, well, fifty years of opportunity for unplanned losses (or, maybe, well, planned in the case of an item I saw a few years ago on the then-exposed lakebed, which I don't think I'd better mention in this gentle forum). Despite any certain ordinances to the contrary, I'm sure some dumping has occurred too.

My mind boggles, for example, at the possible amount of money down there. I'd guess outboard motors are present, as well as glass bottles (a collector's dream I'm sure), watches, rings (my thoughts would be with those who lost such an article), etc., etc.,etc. Not to mention more than a few golf balls from the nearby range, and probably an untold amount of fishing tackle.

So, have there been dives in Lake Hefner in the past 50 years? What happens if something particularly valuable and reasonably large goes overboard---can it hypothetically be retrieved, even by the Davy Jones lockeresque portion by the dam?

oklanole
06-04-2008, 10:01 PM
I have a semi related question, how deep is Hefner?

Joe Kimball
06-04-2008, 10:04 PM
It averages 29 feet, and it maxes at 91 or 94 depending on the source. Here's a bath map (warning: PDF). However, a goodly portion is more than 50 feet.

http://www.owrb.ok.gov/news/publications/wa/pdf_wa/hefner_bath.pdf

oklanole
06-04-2008, 10:08 PM
Thanks, that is quite interesting. I always suspected it was way deeper. >150 or so.

okcpulse
06-04-2008, 10:58 PM
When the lake levels were lowered in 1990 to prep for the Lake Hefner Parkway, we found a rocking hair half buried in mud about fifty feet or so from the east shore, pretty close to where the wind surfers hang out today.

Plus, who can forget the other unexpected recovery in 1990 on the south side of the lake... a car containing the remains of a woman and her child missing since November 1963.

Joe Kimball
06-04-2008, 11:05 PM
Oh my goodness! How was it discovered?

jbrown84
06-05-2008, 12:32 AM
My mother was in a boat that sank in lake Hefner years ago. She got to shore, of course.

zuluwarrior0760
06-05-2008, 12:55 AM
Lady drove off the road, into the duck pond area......on a snowy night....
car was submerged for 35 years, then the water
receded "just" enough for the roof of the car to become
exposed and then they found them, notified her husband
who had moved far far away......there was alcohol in
the car along with the remains......I think it was a 1963 Cadillac....

jbrown84
06-05-2008, 12:56 AM
What's the duck pond area?

mmonroe
06-05-2008, 01:03 AM
I think the "Duck Pond area" is near the area where all the restaurants were at and stuff, where you exit from the damn and get on the highway.

ddavidson8
06-05-2008, 09:23 AM
If I remember correctly the Duck Pond was at the Southwest corner of the Lake Hefner area. The lake and the pond were actually separated by the road that was eventually turned into the parkway.

I remember going to that area to park with the girls I was dating at the time.

CCOKC
06-05-2008, 01:59 PM
There is still a small lake on the east side of the Parkway. It is hidden from the road but it is still there. If you go to the dog park there is a sign that points to Children's Lake but as far as I can tell you have quite a hike to get to it from the dog park. You can drive to it by going west on Wilshire(i think) from May Ave and going to the dead end. It has a nice set of trails that even has doggie doo doo
bags for those who want to walk your furry friends.

ultimatesooner
06-05-2008, 02:20 PM
I used to work at a marina @ tenkiller, sometimes we would have to dive to repair our underwater cables

on one dive we found a watch, several pairs of sunglasses, 2 bicycles, a weedeater, some lawn chairs and some other stuff I'm sure I have forgot by now

CuatrodeMayo
06-05-2008, 02:31 PM
Strayhorn?

Joe Kimball
06-05-2008, 02:42 PM
I was sad to see a demonstration of some of the capabilities for diving and rescue at Lake Hefner just before noon, when two older men became victims, one drowning, most possibly as a result of the windy conditions. My thoughts are with their families. Apparently KOCO tried to report from the dam and were (rightfully IMHO) turned away, setting up camp at the south end with a zoom lens strained to the hilt, it appeared.

jbrown, I'm glad your mother made it---was the boat retrieved?

ultimatesooner
06-05-2008, 03:45 PM
Strayhorn?

cookson

CuatrodeMayo
06-06-2008, 07:40 AM
cookson

Ah. Used to hang out at the Marina at Strayhorn.

jbrown84
06-08-2008, 03:15 PM
jbrown, I'm glad your mother made it---was the boat retrieved?

I don't know. Doubt it.

missLicia
06-09-2008, 12:10 AM
one of the reasons that I'm afraid of water I can't see the bottom in...you never know what is down there!!

kevinpate
06-09-2008, 06:28 AM
>you never know what is down there!!

fish ... having fun ... with the lights off