View Full Version : Classen Curve

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25

Pete
02-03-2012, 10:32 AM
You mean the additional Curve restaurant tenant?

tuck
02-03-2012, 10:41 AM
Yes, from what I understand, they are close.

betts
02-11-2012, 09:40 PM
I've heard that a Pops is going in where the NH drugstore was. Just a rumor, but I heard it from people who live in NH.

metro
02-11-2012, 09:41 PM
Don't get that, seems it would kill lots of traffic to the Arcadia location.

tuck
02-12-2012, 06:13 AM
I've heard that a Pops is going in where the NH drugstore was. Just a rumor, but I heard it from people who live in NH.

Not happening...

jbkrems
02-12-2012, 07:22 AM
So what kind of restaurant is it, Tuck ?

Pete
02-12-2012, 09:18 AM
CHK has said the new Nichols Hills Market will have a lunch counter but we don't know who is going to operate it or even the market as a whole.

It's also obvious there is going to be another restaurant added to the main part of Class Curve (not the Triangle) but we don't know the operator of that, either.

sooner88
02-12-2012, 11:31 AM
I've heard a few different rumors. One being that the store can be split into 3 different stores, one possibly being lululemon. Another possibility is for an urban outfitters to go in, which would obviously be convenient with Anthropologie being next door. Again, this is all speculation but it came from someone who is pretty involved with the development of the area.

dankrutka
02-12-2012, 12:25 PM
Oklahoma needs an Urban Outfitters. It would do great.

sroberts24
02-12-2012, 12:50 PM
Yeah, I am in NYC right now and I spent $200 at Irban Outfitters yesterday! Been wanting one so badly!

metro
02-12-2012, 01:00 PM
Oklahoma needs an Urban Outfitters. It would do great.

No doubt. But it would look better at 10th and Broadway instead of in a shiny new Classen Curve building. Most of their stores are in a renovated old building, although not all.

Pete
02-12-2012, 01:02 PM
I don't think there would be enough space and/or parking for UO in that Triangle building.

But I know CHK wants to bring more "national retailers" to the area north of Whole Foods.

metro
02-12-2012, 01:53 PM
I don't think parking is an issue. It also has more parking than the dozen or so of UO's I've been to across the country.

sooner88
02-12-2012, 03:38 PM
In regards to Urban Outfitters, I can imagine it's a question of not if it's coming, but when. If it really is something that they want in their project, they will get it. They showed that with Whole Foods, and if it doesn't go into the newest building at the Triangle there will be plenty of room for it in the future once the rest of that block is developed.

iMAX386
02-12-2012, 11:41 PM
H&M is another store along those lines that we desperately need...probably couldn't fit anywhere in the Curve though as it's set up.

betts
02-13-2012, 01:37 AM
Urban Outfitters has been looking for space since Anthropologie has, several years ago. They looked downtown but I think would not go there alone. If we had some thriving retail there it might have happened. I know they were considering space on Western as well, but might end up at the Triangle just because it's simple. My source hasn't chatted with their real estate person in awhile, so I've heard nothing in the last few months.

metro
02-13-2012, 06:51 AM
Betts can you check with your daughter the status?

betts
02-13-2012, 07:06 AM
I checked last month but she hadn't seen the real estate person recently, so hadn't had a chance to ask.

metro
02-13-2012, 09:57 AM
Drove by last Friday, they are doing demo/site prep on 58th just behind CC.

http://i980.photobucket.com/albums/ae288/snewlon/cc1.jpg

http://i980.photobucket.com/albums/ae288/snewlon/cc2.jpg

BoulderSooner
02-13-2012, 10:19 AM
hopefully they will close 58th soon ... it has been defered about 4 times at the City council ..

corpsman
02-13-2012, 06:21 PM

Pete
02-21-2012, 01:36 PM
$100K building permit for a 1,405 square foot restaurant in Classen Curve. I believe this will be for one of the buildings at the southern end.

Tuck, care to reveal the operator? It's not listed on the permit.

tuck
02-21-2012, 03:32 PM
I'm not sure. Are you positive it's a restaurant? Which building?

Pete
02-21-2012, 03:50 PM
Not sure which building...

It's definitely for a restaurant but may be a remodel/expansion of one of the existing ones in that complex.

tuck
02-21-2012, 04:51 PM
Republic is expanding their patio...could be this.

metro
02-21-2012, 05:05 PM
Hope it's not $100,000 for a patio!!! But 1400 sq. ft is small for a restaurant.

Pete
02-21-2012, 05:48 PM
Looking at the address, I think this is for Republic.

krisb
02-21-2012, 08:10 PM
A colleague of mine told me that Urban Outfitters is finalizing a lease contract with Classen Triangle. Her fiance is a part of the land development team for Chesapeake, I believe.

metro
02-21-2012, 09:26 PM
Hope he's right.

betts
02-21-2012, 09:44 PM
That doesn't surprise me. The fact that Urban hasn't opened a store somewhere else in the metro, when they were looking at the same time as they were looking for an Anthropologie site, makes it logical to think they were waiting for this building in the Triangle.

wsucougz
02-21-2012, 10:44 PM
I'm hearing Restoration Hardware as well.

betts
02-21-2012, 11:10 PM
I'm hearing Restoration Hardware as well.

I know it's not local, but I've been hoping for one for a long time. This is one of the few stores in which I Internet shop because there is nothing similar locally.

BoulderSooner
02-22-2012, 06:06 AM
just a note but the closing of 58th st and part of military ave is now a done deal after yesterdays council meeting ... so we could see the expansion of CC sooner rather than later

also of note is that Councilmen Shadid redirected some money to fix some of the traffic issues in that area on western/grand

mrktguy29
02-26-2012, 07:18 PM
A colleague of mine told me that Urban Outfitters is finalizing a lease contract with Classen Triangle. Her fiance is a part of the land development team for Chesapeake, I believe.

I contacted UO a year or so back and mentioned this site to consider. I hope it goes through as it will be a great addition to the metro! Now if we could get American Apparel, they usually follow in the footsteps as UO.

Spartan
02-26-2012, 08:09 PM
UO would fit in a LOT better at 9th and Broadway, if they're serious about their brand image that is. But most people already regard UO as pretty phony as it is...

stlokc
02-26-2012, 08:34 PM
The Urban Outfitters in St. Louis is located inside the very traditional St. Louis Galleria mall. This, despite the presence nearby of the University City loop, which is an edgy but thriving 10-block long urban street scape, a short walk from Washington University. For what it's worth.

metro
02-26-2012, 08:35 PM
Not to mention the ones on the Vegas strip aren't the grungy look they'd "prefer".

Why does ABQ have one On their main college strip, and Campus Corner in Norman can't get one? It's a much more dense space, and a much richer school, and probably more students too.

MikeOKC
02-26-2012, 08:41 PM
Not to mention the ones on the Vegas strip aren't the grungy look they'd "prefer".

Why does ABQ have one On their main college strip, and Campus Corner in Norman can't get one? It's a much more dense space, and a much richer school, and probably more students too.

UNM has more students and faculty than OU. It's a big state school. But still, I agree with you about UO.

betts
02-26-2012, 08:45 PM

Because Oklahoma City and by extension, Norman, is always discounted by national retail chains. Same reason we don't have a lot of other stores.

Questor
02-26-2012, 08:59 PM
The differences between OU and ABQ's main campus student population is actually not a huge gap based on some stuff I just saw on the internet. I think it's more along the lines of what betts just said... people have a negative image of here, they go online and can't find any photos or websites of any business districts here (e.g. UNP Norman still doesn't have a website, Campus Corner's website is kind of 'light'), and when they send a scout here the first thing they see is tons of old poorly maintained shopping centers. It's really no wonder. "You just have to look harder" is not something a guy in marketing wants to hear. We need better commercial development. We need organized voices speaking for these developments. It's no wonder big development sites can land tenants... they have tax money backing them and usually the whole thing is owned by a single entity and has a single voice speaking for them.

I think this is why Classen Curve is becoming so successful. Lots of money backing it, the place looks great, when you type "classen curve" into Google the very first link you get is to a modern website that looks like it was built this decade, and the whole development/real estate is largely under the control of the same people. That's a recipe for success.

ljbab728
02-26-2012, 10:23 PM
UNM has more students and faculty than OU. It's a big state school. But still, I agree with you about UO.

If this website is accurate OU is slightly larger.

http://education-portal.com/articles/New_Mexico_%28NM%29_Colleges%2C_Trade_Schools%2C_a nd_Universities.html

http://education-portal.com/articles/Oklahoma_%28OK%29%3A_Summary_of_Oklahoma%27s_Colle ges%2C_Universities%2C_and_Career_Schools.html

mrktguy29
02-26-2012, 10:55 PM
I disagree, I think this is a central location that will serve all of the metro. Trust me, there are people who drive to Dallas for this store. The two I know of an have been to is in Northpark Mall and the other in Mockingbird Station across 75 from SMU. For the OU students who know and want UO, they will be happy to travel to this area, as well as any other of the target market. Its a niche market but I think once here many others will find there is more to it than grungy fashion.

I am not an huge fan by any means but there are certain items that are unique and I think will be a great addition to the area and the city.

**Also adds to my personal speculation that this area is being built up to support a college campus. Can anyone say "_________ School of Energy Management"?

mcca7596
02-26-2012, 11:11 PM
**Also adds to my personal speculation that this area is being built up to support a college campus. Can anyone say "_________ School of Energy Management"?

This could all make sense as to why there are rumors of a Chesapeake tower that will be taller than Devon, and why they are buying up all that existing office space.

Turn the current campus into a university, and temporarily house employees in all those other recently bought buildings while a tower is being built :-).

tuck
02-27-2012, 04:56 AM
Sales per sq ft of current merchants on Campus Corner don't even come close to attracting a group like UO. CC has tons of charm, history and has a special place for OU alumni...that's it! Revenues are low, parking issues, etc...

BoulderSooner
02-27-2012, 06:42 AM
per the EDT meeting last week ....5 new retail tenants coming to okc .. per the chamber ... most unanounced

metro
02-27-2012, 07:06 AM
Sales per sq ft of current merchants on Campus Corner don't even come close to attracting a group like UO. CC has tons of charm, history and has a special place for OU alumni...that's it! Revenues are low, parking issues, etc...

Could that be a chicken and egg (good egg? LOL) dilemma? It is mainly food vendors, no real national retail that most drive to Dallas for. I'm confident Campus Corner could support a Urban Outfitters, American Apparel, and a few other large national retailers, and are what is needed to boost Campus Corner to the next level, followed by some housing.

tuck
02-27-2012, 07:28 AM
Could that be a chicken and egg (good egg? LOL) dilemma? It is mainly food vendors, no real national retail that most drive to Dallas for. I'm confident Campus Corner could support a Urban Outfitters, American Apparel, and a few other large national retailers, and are what is needed to boost Campus Corner to the next level, followed by some housing.

Like I said...the current revenue numbers are extremely low! I bet they aren't 25% that of what Classen Curve merchants generate.

metro
02-27-2012, 07:55 AM
I know, but my question is do you think it's a chicken and egg dilemma, since it is mainly QSR options geared to college students?

Iron Starr is a little fancy for the average student. I think if Campus Corner had a better mix of offerings, including national retail, revenue levels would rise.

OKCTalker
02-27-2012, 08:55 AM
This could all make sense as to why there are rumors of a Chesapeake tower that will be taller than Devon, and why they are buying up all that existing office space.

Turn the current campus into a university, and temporarily house employees in all those other recently bought buildings while a tower is being built :-).

Who in their right mind has been saying those two things (CHK building a tower that will be taller than DVN's, and the CHK campus will be turned into a university)?

mcca7596
02-27-2012, 09:20 AM
Who in their right mind has been saying those two things (CHK building a tower that will be taller than DVN's, and the CHK campus will be turned into a university)?

As to the first one, several on here even before the mystery tower thread started. As to the second one, only mrktguy29 and one other person I suppose.

All just fun speculation...

Pete
02-27-2012, 09:44 AM
There is absolutely, positively no way Chesapeake has any intention of converting their campus into a university.

It makes absolutely no sense on many levels, not the least of which being: 1) Oklahoma cannot even come close to funding it's existing universities, public or private; and 2) They have close to a billion dollars invested in that area just in real estate with more active construction on many fronts and lots more on the boards.

dankrutka
02-27-2012, 12:13 PM
I have absolutely no doubt that an Urban Outfitters would thrive anywhere in the metro, but Campus Corner would make a ton of sense.

mrktguy29
02-27-2012, 12:29 PM
As I highlighted the speculation... nothing more than giggles on my end as to what people take from these threads. It was not suppose to be taken seriously.

BoulderSooner
03-28-2012, 11:59 AM
Tuckers location #2 coming to classen curve

betts
03-28-2012, 12:08 PM
I'd rather see Tuckers on Western, but I'm glad they're doing well enough to expand. I think their food is as good, for its genre, as all the other Good Egg offerings.

dankrutka
03-28-2012, 09:47 PM
Tuckers location #2 coming to classen curve

Interesting. Tucker's and Republic right next to each other seems like a little bit of duplication, but I like them both a lot. How many empty spaces remain now?

Snowman
03-28-2012, 10:00 PM
Interesting. Tucker's and Republic right next to each other seems like a little bit of duplication, but I like them both a lot. How many empty spaces remain now?

... didn't they also recently agree to limiting the number of restaurants at Classen Curve, so duplication would be even more unlikely.

Spartan
04-07-2012, 05:50 PM
I don't see Tucker's in CC. To me, Tucker's is all about the old vintage Americana vibe of 23rd Street. It's somewhere I like taking my grandpa to, who lives nearby in J Park and we can just walk. I wouldn't take my grandpa to Republic or somewhere else with that level of yuppie-sheen, lest he think less of me.

metro
04-07-2012, 09:21 PM
I don't see Tucker's in CC. To me, Tucker's is all about the old vintage Americana vibe of 23rd Street. It's somewhere I like taking my grandpa to, who lives nearby in J Park and we can just walk. I wouldn't take my grandpa to Republic or somewhere else with that level of yuppie-sheen, lest he think less of me.

The yuppie crowd equally patronizes Tucker's. It's a polished up version of a greasy onion burger shop.

Spartan
04-08-2012, 01:41 PM
Exactly.