View Full Version : Most Attractive Building in Downtown?

warreng88
06-04-2008, 01:15 PM
Remember when Steve did a biggest eyesore contest? What about a most attractive building in downtown....contest? I think the Skirvin is amazing architecture and has been renovated exactly like it should. I also really like Leadership Square just because it has so much natural light and it the only all glass building. Thoughts?

bornhere
06-04-2008, 01:27 PM
I'm with you on the Skirvin. I'm also partial to the Ramsey Tower. I think most people tend to think of the First National Bank Building as more iconic, but the Ramsey appeals more to my aesthetic. I think the art museum is the best of the recent construction. The blank noirth wall leaves something to be desired, but I was really impressed with the way the architect worked around the shell of the Centre Theater.

CuatrodeMayo
06-04-2008, 01:31 PM
I like the new Federal Building, Plaza Court, The Classen and Gold Dome together, JDM Place, The Stage Center, the Art-Deco gov't buildings, the MofA, and the Farmers Public Market Building, just off of the top of my head. I prefer the Colcord over the Skirvin, mainly because the back of the Skirvin looks like a patchwork quilt.

Kerry
06-04-2008, 01:52 PM
What is the condition of the old Federal Reserve Building? I remember walking around downtown a long time ago, turning a corner, and seeing that building. My first thought was, "What is this doing here!" I also like the old high school that became the SWB/SBC/ATT building.

metro
06-04-2008, 02:05 PM
What is the condition of the old Federal Reserve Building? I remember walking around downtown a long time ago, turning a corner, and seeing that building. My first thought was, "What is this doing here!" I also like the old high school that became the SWB/SBC/ATT building.

It's currently undergoing and wrapping up an extensive remodel.

soonerfever
06-04-2008, 02:21 PM
I prefer the Colcord over the Skirvin, mainly because the back of the Skirvin looks like a patchwork quilt.

I feel the same way about the Colcord. I really like the way it is designed and I like its setting. After all, if I am not mistaken, it was the first skyscraper (if you will) in OKC.

Pete
06-04-2008, 02:26 PM
First National Center for me... At least the tower and not that hodge-podge of buildings attached to it.

I love the old step-back skyscrapers and always thought it looked like a mini Empire State Building.

Plus, there are tons of exterior art deco pieces and of course the Great Banking Hall is maybe the best space in OKC.

If we can consider it downtown, Union Station is way up there as well. I can't wait to see it fully restored.

And I've also always loved old Central High School. I know it's been converted to office use but it's still amazing.

OKCMallen
06-04-2008, 04:02 PM
First National for the art deco.

sgt. pepper
06-04-2008, 04:10 PM
I
love the old step-back skyscrapers and always thought it looked like a mini Empire State Building.
I read somewhere, maybe it was one of Dougs blogs, that that building was ment to copy the impire state building?

Kerry
06-04-2008, 06:47 PM
I think FNC looks more like the Chicago Board of Trade than anything else.

jbrown84
06-05-2008, 12:47 AM
In the new Dark Knight trailer, they have a bird's eye view shot of a building that looks like First National. They shot in Chicago, so I wonder if it's the building you mention, Kerry.

I think I have to go with The Colcord, but I also love the County Courthouse, The Skirvin, the new Federal Building, Central High, FNC, Court Plaza, and the old Oklahoman-Times building.

bombermwc
06-05-2008, 07:29 AM
Depends on the era for me. I like Leadership Square for the newer buildings, but definitely FNC for the older ones (minus all the extra ugly crap on it).

CuatrodeMayo
06-05-2008, 07:31 AM
I think FNC looks more like the Chicago Board of Trade than anything else.

They look strikingly similar.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2292/2274412195_a60aa70f31.jpg

http://www.chicagoarchitecture.info/CAI/Images/TheLoop/ChicagoBoardofTrade-002.jpg

samsims
06-05-2008, 12:25 PM
I'm torn... City Hall, Civic Center, First National, Court Plaza. After thinking about it, there really isn't a build I don't like.

David Pollard
06-05-2008, 01:09 PM
I might be biased, but I really prefer the First National Center. It is a beautifully harmonius and balanced building. THE most classical and distinctive building in OKC by far.

OKCMallen
06-05-2008, 06:28 PM
I'm not big on the Ramsey Tower, for some reason.

Kerry
06-05-2008, 08:13 PM
OKCMallen - go in to the Ramsey Tower and ask to ride the slide. It is amusement ride - not an office building.

OKC Focus
06-14-2008, 10:41 PM
OKCMallen - go in to the Ramsey Tower and ask to ride the slide. It is amusement ride - not an office building.

I thought it was closed off?

I like First National best.