View Full Version : Hotel tax hike passes

Patrick
12-14-2004, 10:42 PM
I suppose all of our recent discussions on this issue are now moot point. Turn out was not great (only about 25,000 voters). But it passed by a landslide: 89.4% (22,761 votes) to 10.6% (2,696 votes). I'd have to say that this passed by a greater margin than any other city tax proposal in recent times.

By the way, this article also addresses were future money will go once improvements are completed at the fairgrounds. It also addresses where that 4/11 is going.

-----------
"Hotel tax hike wins approval

By Bryan Dean
The Oklahoman

Oklahoma City residents on Tuesday overwhelmingly passed an increase to the city’s hotel tax to support improvements to the horse barns at State Fair Park.
Mayor Mick Cornett broke the news that the hike appeared on its way to approval an hour after the polls closed to a group of about 75 supporters at the National Reining Horse Association’s headquarters, 3000 NW 10.

With all precincts reporting Tuesday evening, the vote in favor of the increase was 22,761 (89.4 percent) to 2,696 (10.6 percent) opposed. Cornett said the vote reminded him of the city’s long association with horses.

“The word 115 years ago was land run,” Cornett said. “Tonight the word is landslide. The voters have spoken. They believe in the future of Oklahoma City.”

The hotel tax will increase from 2 percent to 5.5 percent, bringing in an estimated $4.55 million per year. Fair officials have proposed $55 million in improvements to the horse barns.

The city plans to sell revenue bonds to pay for the improvements, with $3.9 million a year from the increased tax going to pay off the bonds over the next 20 to 30 years.

Once the bonds are paid off, a future mayor and city council will decide where the money will go, though it will still be dedicated to the fair.

The other $650,000 generated each year from the tax increase will go to the city’s Convention and Visitor’s Bureau and will be reserved for luring large conventions to the city.

The proposal was promoted by city leaders as a way to keep the city horse show business thriving. The industry generates more than $180 million a year for the local economy, according to a recent study paid for by The Greater Oklahoma City Chamber of Commerce.

The chamber led the campaign to pass the increase. Chamber President Roy Williams said he was shocked by the margin of victory.

“I’ve lived in a lot of different places, and nothing passes at 90 percent,” Williams said. “The electorate here understands the big picture. The voters are just very strong in saying we can see some remarkable successes here, and we’ve got to keep that momentum going.”

Tim O’Toole, fair president and general manager, said the vote also sends a powerful message to the thousands of horse show participants that visit the city every year.

“I think the first thing it says is ‘thank you for the business that you’ve given us and the faith you’ve shown in Oklahoma City,’” O’Toole said. “We love them and we want them to keep coming back. Our citizens appreciate the significance and the importance that the horse show business has for our economy.”