View Full Version : For those that fly alot or have flown recently

Intrepid
06-01-2008, 11:14 AM
I will be leaving for Vegas in exactly 3 weeks, and it will be my first plane trip in close to 7 years.

My SWA flight leaves at 645a from WWIA and was wondering if it was still necessary to arrive 2 hours before departure and what other security joys I will have to look forward to.

Thanks in advance to all that reply.

:tiphat:

Toadrax
06-01-2008, 11:22 AM
They really streamlined the process by making one massive gate you go through, it is still a nightmare sometimes. More often then not it is better than usual, but you should still show up 2 hours early.

The most important tip is. DO NOT PUT ANYTHING VALUABLE IN YOUR LUGGAGE! In the name of homeland security they all go through your bags and take what they want.

Five tips to ensure the TSA doesn't steal your stuff | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/travel/elliott/5797824.html)

If you put locks on your bags they will break them off and confiscate them with the legal authority to do so and the TSA sanctioned locks are worthless since they can open it anyway. Having a lock just tells them that you might have something worth stealing.

If you have an ipod, laptop, or anything small and valuable, just carry it with you or leave it at home.

Finally, did you used to be on InTheNet with the name Intrepid? :)

onthestrip
06-01-2008, 11:24 AM
You should have no problem if you are able to check your luggage one hour before depature. Allow for an extra 20-30 minutes if you have to park on site.

Ash_Fox
06-01-2008, 11:35 AM
Especially with an early flight, you should be fine arriving an hour before hand.

Intrepid
06-01-2008, 12:01 PM
If you have an ipod, laptop, or anything small and valuable, just carry it with you or leave it at home

Thanks. I plan on having my laptop and Zune with me in my carry on.

Finally, did you used to be on InTheNet with the name Intrepid? :)

Yup...that was me. =)

Toadrax
06-01-2008, 12:14 PM
Thanks. I plan on having my laptop and Zune with me in my carry on.

I don't think anyone in the history of man has ever stolen a Zune, and if they did steal it from you they would be doing you a favor. :P

Anyway, I was good friends with Ursader(Tristen) and Starr(she just had a baby!) back in the day. I went by bleach and I remember your apartment but that was like.. 13 year ago.

Intrepid
06-01-2008, 12:17 PM
I don't think anyone in the history of man has ever stolen a Zune, and if they did steal it from you they would be doing you a favor. :P

Anyway, I was good friends with Ursader(Tristen) and Starr(she just had a baby!) back in the day. I went by bleach and I remember your apartment but that was like.. 13 year ago.

Holy cow! I do remember you! Gotta love the good ole BBS days! =)

Btw, I love my Zune. =P

Toadrax
06-01-2008, 12:27 PM
I guess. In the BBS days things were more real and I made a lot of good lifelong friends there. Those days will never come back.

The web is so full of people it ends up being empty and lonely. I don't think I have made any friends on the web.

Oh well, at least the real world is nice :)

Karried
06-01-2008, 12:46 PM
I've found that 1.5 Hours ahead of schedule is usually adequate at this airport.. keep in mind traffic at that time. It's always better to get there early, check in, have a cup of coffee and chill... the alternative is panic when something goes wrong!

Print your Boarding Pass 24 Hours ahead of time and Check in here:

http://www.southwest.com/content/travel_center/retrieveCheckinDoc.html

Have Southwest Text your for Travel Alerts and Schedule changes here:

Southwest Airlines Flight Status Information (http://www.southwest.com/cgi-bin/textMsgSubscribeEntry)

Pack your Carry on carefully, that's the biggest holdup.

Remember to wear shoes that you can take on and off and have your ID ready to go. Plastic bags are at the airport usually but pack your liquids in clear baggies beforehand...

TSA: What To Know Before You Go (http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/prohibited/permitted-prohibited-items.shtm)

Have fun!

Intrepid
06-01-2008, 12:51 PM
I've found that 1.5 Hours ahead of schedule is usually adequate at this airport.. keep in mind traffic at that time. It's always better to get there early, check in, have a cup of coffee and chill... the alternative is panic when something goes wrong!

Print your Boarding Pass 24 Hours ahead of time and Check in here:

Southwest Airlines - Check In and Print Boarding Pass (http://www.southwest.com/content/travel_center/retrieveCheckinDoc.html)

Have Southwest Text your for Travel Alerts and Schedule changes here:

Southwest Airlines Flight Status Information (http://www.southwest.com/cgi-bin/textMsgSubscribeEntry)

Pack your Carry on carefully, that's the biggest holdup.

Remember to wear shoes that you can take on and off and have your ID ready to go. Plastic bags are at the airport usually but pack your liquids in clear baggies beforehand...

TSA: What To Know Before You Go (http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/prohibited/permitted-prohibited-items.shtm)

Have fun!

Thanks Karrie.

As of right now, I'm thinking that arriving between 5:15a-5:30a should be sufficient.

I don't have ticketless reservations, as my trip was booked thru my travel agent. I should be getting the paper work in about 10-12 days.

I thought about wearing my flip-flop type shoes when I go, but I am not sure yet. If not, I'll just have regular tennis shoes, so it won't be that difficult to get on and off.

zuluwarrior0760
06-01-2008, 01:30 PM
Even if you are not ticketless, you can have someone drop you at the
airport door 24 hours before your flight to go get your boarding pass,
which then will be a low number in the A group. If you are checking
in 1.5 hours ahead of time, you will most likely be in the D group,
meaning you will have the pleasure of surveying the seats left
and realizing that the little bit of seat you see hidden between the
jelly rolls of identical 400 lb twins........that little sliver of a seat is yours...

Getting your boarding pass the day before also eliminates some standing
in line, thereby also making it possible to get there 1.5 hours ahead instead of 2 hours......you'll still check your baggage, but that line will be WAY shorter.....

In the old days, Southwest just grouped you in A,B,C,D group....now they
go even further by putting you in number sequence "in" the A group, such
as A19, when you line up to get on the plane, you'll get in the cattle
line based on your number, so if you are in the group of A1-A20 and you
are A19, then you will be one of the first 20 people to get on the plane,
you'll be able to put your carryon's whereever you want without all the bins
being stuffed already, and you'll be able to pick a seat in bulkhead for some extra legroom etc.......get a window if you prefer, or an aisle seat in the front or rear
whichever you prefer etc, instead of having to take the one seat left because
you checked in an hour ahead of time......

Going to the airport the day before right at flighttime to get your boarding
pass is REALLY a good thing.....

Intrepid
06-01-2008, 01:45 PM
Even if you are not ticketless, you can have someone drop you at the
airport door 24 hours before your flight to go get your boarding pass,
which then will be a low number in the A group. If you are checking
in 1.5 hours ahead of time, you will most likely be in the D group,
meaning you will have the pleasure of surveying the seats left
and realizing that the little bit of seat you see hidden between the
jelly rolls of identical 400 lb twins........that little sliver of a seat is yours...

Getting your boarding pass the day before also eliminates some standing
in line, thereby also making it possible to get there 1.5 hours ahead instead of 2 hours......you'll still check your baggage, but that line will be WAY shorter.....

In the old days, Southwest just grouped you in A,B,C,D group....now they
go even further by putting you in number sequence "in" the A group, such
as A19, when you line up to get on the plane, you'll get in the cattle
line based on your number, so if you are in the group of A1-A20 and you
are A19, then you will be one of the first 20 people to get on the plane,
you'll be able to put your carryon's whereever you want without all the bins
being stuffed already, and you'll be able to pick a seat in bulkhead for some extra legroom etc.......get a window if you prefer, or an aisle seat in the front or rear
whichever you prefer etc, instead of having to take the one seat left because
you checked in an hour ahead of time......

Going to the airport the day before right at flighttime to get your boarding
pass is REALLY a good thing.....

Thank you very much for that information. That's exactly what I will do!

Can this also be done on the return trip home? I'd glady take a cab to the LV airport the day/evening before just to have an opportunity at a better seat.

zuluwarrior0760
06-01-2008, 01:54 PM
Going or coming, you can get your boarding pass at the airport
24 hours ahead.

With ticketless travel, you can do it on the computer and print
the boarding pass.........

They don't do that when you go thru a travel agent or
if you are doing group travel.

Travel Agent's are virtually extinct now due to the ease of internet
reservations for every kind of travel. Our travel agent wants to sell
and retire, but no takers......they've also been killed by no longer
getting commissions on air tickets in most cases and 10.00 fees
in other cases......for the service they provide, I feel for them.......

Karried
06-01-2008, 02:32 PM
I try to get toward the front always .... easy on and off.

Flip flops are good, but if you're a whiny baby like I am, bring socks in your carry on (I always bring thick fuzzy ones, but unless you want to get some funny looks, don't, lol) ... but it's usually freezing on the plane! Wear layers.

P.S. coming back from Vegas if you are in the main terminal, definitely get there at least 2 hours ahead of time. OKC is small compared to LAS ... plus, Vegas has tons of traffic. The smaller cargo terminal was so easy ( Champion) but the main terminal, crazy busy.

Easy180
06-01-2008, 03:03 PM
Think you already have your answer but we flew out last month at 6:40 AM and from the parking garage to sitting in the terminal I think it took a whopping 20 minutes

I would shoot to be parked around 5:30...Should leave you plenty of time to grab some breakfast and some coffee from Java Dave's

Intrepid
06-01-2008, 03:44 PM
Think you already have your answer but we flew out last month at 6:40 AM and from the parking garage to sitting in the terminal I think it took a whopping 20 minutes

I would shoot to be parked around 5:30...Should leave you plenty of time to grab some breakfast and some coffee from Java Dave's

Thanks! Did you get your boarding pass a day early as described above, and if not, what type of "slot" did you get when you checked in?

lpecan
06-01-2008, 04:19 PM
I flew out of WRWA 20 times this year. There is no reason to show up more than an hour before hand. If you're not checking bags, you can get away with 45.

PennyQuilts
06-01-2008, 05:34 PM
My husband investigates airplane crashes. There is no way I'd wear flip flops on a plane. If there is an evacuation, you will be screwed. Sneakers aren't that hard to put on and off. I can do it in about 20 seconds - faster if I am sober.

Karried
06-01-2008, 06:13 PM
After that post, here's another suggestion .. Valium.

Easy180
06-01-2008, 07:32 PM
Thanks! Did you get your boarding pass a day early as described above, and if not, what type of "slot" did you get when you checked in?

We forgot to but I guess most on the flight didn't either because we ended up in the 6th row of a 20 row flight

Enjoy Vegas...Used to go every year until we switched to beach vacations the past 3...I'm sure it has changed a lot since I last went in '04

blangtang
06-02-2008, 01:11 AM
there are a bunch of early morning flights, so once you have your boarding pass walk to the very far left of the terminal. there are 2 security checkpoints, the one on the left rarely has more than 10 people in it. the main one in the middle is where they herd cattle. :bright_id

go thru the middle one if you like to stand in line, oh and watch out for the vegas taxi drivers-they are known to drive you around in loops on your way to your hotel to rack up fares.

Jesseda
06-02-2008, 07:18 AM
They are saying 1 1/2 to 2 hrs.. If you are parking the airport I recommend parking in lot number 3 it is the covered shuttle parking. there is a person the the toll both 24 hours a day 7 days a week, and when you arrive thre is a phone next to the booth or you can ask the teller to call you a shuttle. Shuttle usually run every 5 to ten minutes, remember you can always call the main office 680-3250 for more information on parking at will rogers airport

OKCMallen
06-02-2008, 09:31 AM
I flew out of WRWA 20 times this year. There is no reason to show up more than an hour before hand. If you're not checking bags, you can get away with 45.

I agree, an hour is plenty unless you are going on a holiday weekend.

namellac
06-02-2008, 09:53 AM
That early in the morning, the airport is not quite as busy. Flying has become so impersonal. The pre-recorded terminal announcements as well as the pre-boarding announcements are reminiscent of "THX1138".

jsibelius
06-02-2008, 10:20 AM
FYI, I thought I was doing well by keeping my card that showed which bus stop I parked near. It wasn't enough. I was thoroughly lost when I got back, the wind was blowing horribly, it was late, and it took me 30 minutes of walking around every path in the parking lot pushing the panic button on my keys so my car would beep at me. Pay very close attention to where you park, if you park. Maybe even consider taking a picture of where you parked in relation to everything else. It could be useful when you return.

Jesseda
06-02-2008, 12:54 PM
Well I work in that department, so if you lost your parking slip dont worry, all you need to plan ahead is have your tag number of your car at the airport parking we do a inventory every night by scanning the licence plate tags, we can tell you what row what space number you parked in and everything, just call or ask a shuttle driver to call the main office if you are not certain where you parked your car here at the airport 680-3250