View Full Version : Statue of man in Nichols Hills Area

jenward74
05-29-2008, 05:12 AM
Hello, All: I am new to the forum. I live in the Texas Panhandle, but I make it to OKC every chance I get. I love your wonderful city and all it has to offer.

I have a question and I have searched for information endlessly to no avail...

A few years ago I was driving through the Nichols Hills area and I noticed in one of the front lawns a huge statue of a man. I think he was reclining with his arms above his head and his legs crossed.

Does anyone know what area this is in? Don't have to have the exact address, just would like to know what street/intersection it is near.

Thanks!

Doug Loudenback
05-29-2008, 07:05 AM
Hi and welcome to the forum!

I don't know of such a statue in Nichols Hills but I'm not really "up" on that area. There is a statue that meets that description in front of an art shop in the Paseo district, though ...

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a49/DougLoudenback/paseo/paseo05s.jpg

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a49/DougLoudenback/paseo/paseo05bs.jpg

But, that's probably not what you mean. Of course, it may have been purchased and moved since I took the above photos last year.

foodiefan
05-29-2008, 09:13 AM
there used to be a reclining statue in the front lawn at a home on Grand Blvd. . .west of Grand Blvd, but it is no longer there. It was HUGE. . .readily visible from the street. Someone said it had been given to the Fred Jones in Norman, but don't know that to be a fact.

FritterGirl
05-29-2008, 09:32 AM
The statue Doug noted in his post and photos above, was at JRB at the Elms Gallery, along Dewey. The gallery is the building you see in the photos. I noted this weekend during Paseo Fest that it is no longer there. Not sure where it went.

It was a really cool statue.

Pete
05-29-2008, 10:23 AM
there used to be a reclining statue in the front lawn at a home on Grand Blvd. . .west of Grand Blvd, but it is no longer there. It was HUGE. . .readily visible from the street. Someone said it had been given to the Fred Jones in Norman, but don't know that to be a fact.

I think it's just outside Fred Jones on the OU campus now. There is a sculpture that looks just like the one Doug pictured there.

OKC PATROL
05-29-2008, 11:40 AM
The scupture is by an artist named David Phelps here in OKC. The piece in NH was made of concrete and had some problems. The piece at OU is a larger bronze and is called pastoral dreamer (I think). It was moved to the front entrance of the school of art, within the last couple of yrs., from its previous position on campus which was just south of campus corner.
home (http://web.mac.com/phelpssculpture/iWeb/Site/home.html)

Pete
05-29-2008, 11:43 AM
Proof positive once again you can't stump this board! :)

Thanks for the info., OKC Patrol.

David Phelps
05-29-2008, 02:19 PM
Hello, All: I am new to the forum. I live in the Texas Panhandle, but I make it to OKC every chance I get. I love your wonderful city and all it has to offer.

I have a question and I have searched for information endlessly to no avail...

A few years ago I was driving through the Nichols Hills area and I noticed in one of the front lawns a huge statue of a man. I think he was reclining with his arms above his head and his legs crossed.

Does anyone know what area this is in? Don't have to have the exact address, just would like to know what street/intersection it is near.

Thanks!
Jenward:
The sculpture in question was done by me (David Phelps) You are correct that it was on Grand Boulevard. The owners sold the home and moved to a condo where they couldn't bring the "Desert Dreamer" with them. It has been relocated to there bussiness (Electroteck) on N 36th street and I-35. (South West corner) If you get on the westside frontage road southbound from 36th you will see the sculpture from the street. (It's not right on the intersection) "Desert Dreamer" is a cement cast from the molds used in an edition of six bronzes. The edition is sold out and they are placed all over the country. This is a different sculpture from the "Pastoral Dreamer" first commissioned by the University of Oklahoma which is also my sculpture. I hope this answers your questions, if not send me an e-mail. Sincerely, David Phelps

David Phelps
05-29-2008, 02:26 PM
The statue Doug noted in his post and photos above, was at JRB at the Elms Gallery, along Dewey. The gallery is the building you see in the photos. I noted this weekend during Paseo Fest that it is no longer there. Not sure where it went.

It was a really cool statue.
Frittergirl: The sculpture "Pastoral Dreamer" that used to be in front of JRB Gallery was sold to a couple in Maryland ( I just got back from installing it a couple of weeks ago). Pastoral Dreamer was an edition of six bronze castings (plus one artist proof) all of which have sold. The first casting was commissioned by the University of Oklahoma. Others went to Leawood, Kansas, Minneapolis, Chicago, Dallas, and Miami Beach.

Sincerely, David L Phelps

jenward74
05-29-2008, 02:47 PM
Wow, y'all are good! The statue in the photos is very similar to the one I saw in Nichols Hills. Thanks for all the info!

Doug Loudenback
05-29-2008, 05:14 PM
Here's another view of Pastoral Dreamer from last year ... very cool! You do great work, David, and welcome to the board!

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a49/DougLoudenback/paseo/paseo05as.jpg

Here's another by David at JRB on the Elms last year ...

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a49/DougLoudenback/paseo/paseo09s.jpg

My blog article's caption for this on was, "A woman apparently liking to be in serious trouble!"

metro
05-30-2008, 08:06 AM
FYI...I notice a lot of people refer to Grand Blvd. in this thread and others. Grand Boulevard used to be our city's "loop" but parts of it have now been renamed, etc. It still somewhat forms a loop around the city, so when referencing Grand Blvd. it's wise to list a cross-street to know what part of town you're referring to.

Martin
05-30-2008, 08:17 AM
yeah, like saying 'in nichols hills area'

-M

metro
05-30-2008, 09:37 AM
yeah, like saying 'in nichols hills area'

-M

not this instance in particular, but in general I've noticed a lot of references to Grand Blvd. but no one mentions any landmarks or part of town. That's like throwing a dart at a dart board and hoping it lands in the bullseye.

Martin
05-30-2008, 09:42 AM
i'm sure it was even more confusing when 'sheridan' was called 'grand ave'

-M

Saberman
05-30-2008, 11:45 AM
Some of us long time res of OKC tend to forget that some people don't have the logistics of where Grand Blvd was located. Hefner Pkwy took out a large part of Grand.

In high school I would take grand from Del City to Western to get to the Reding TG&Y, thats SE 44th and Western, where I worked.

edcrunk
05-30-2008, 05:33 PM
FYI...I notice a lot of people refer to Grand Blvd. in this thread and others. Grand Boulevard used to be our city's "loop" but parts of it have now been renamed, etc. It still somewhat forms a loop around the city, so when referencing Grand Blvd. it's wise to list a cross-street to know what part of town you're referring to.
metro... thanx for solving something that has puzzled me for years.

windowphobe
05-30-2008, 05:49 PM
The semi-complete Guide to Grand beckons:

dustbury.com: Saturday spottings (the Grand tour) (http://www.dustbury.com/archives/004097.html)