View Full Version : Paseo Arts Fest

Blazerfan11
05-25-2008, 12:43 PM
Fun for all!

27th 'n Walker-ish .. runs through Monday night!

i4t9A4p777E

metro
05-27-2008, 08:29 AM
Did anyone else go this weekend?

I went on Saturday morning and it was PACKEDDDD. People were parked full in every direction for about 4 blocks or so. I didn't realize how many artists and vendors there were at the festival in addition to the local galleries and restaurants. Several thousand people there easily. Lots of diversity too. ACLU HQ is in Paseo as you know, lots of hippies, bohemians, yuppies, bikers, europeans, asians, native americans and other cultures represented. I took TONS of pics and will post soon. It was hot and muggy though.

SouthsideSooner
05-27-2008, 08:47 AM
My wife and I went Sunday afternoon and it was quite crowded. It was the first time we had been to the arts fest and I hadn't been to Paseo in years.

We really enjoyed it and will do it again in the future.

betts
05-27-2008, 09:16 AM
I went yesterday, and thought I was going to melt. We had lunch at the Paseo Grill, however, which was a great respite. It was a fun event, and I'm just sorry I didn't buy a picture I admired.....forgot to get the artists' name also.

bandnerd
05-27-2008, 10:20 AM
Good lordie it was humid and hot yesterday when we were there. We stopped in the Paseo Grill for dessert and a couple of girly martinis. And a lot of water!

Saw some neat stuff. Couldn't afford anything I wanted, but it was nice to look. I'll have to go back to Craig's Emporium sometime. Love that store.

Blazerfan11
05-27-2008, 11:12 AM
Paseo Grill is great. I hear rumors Joe might be opening another restaurant in the city...hope he does, he does fine work.

Midtowner
05-27-2008, 11:17 AM
The rumors are true... sort of... I understand it's not going to be your "average" restaurant experience -- at least nothing you're going to be used to.

BabyBoomerSooner
05-27-2008, 01:37 PM
Did anyone else go this weekend?

I went on Saturday morning and it was PACKEDDDD. People were parked full in every direction for about 4 blocks or so. I didn't realize how many artists and vendors there were at the festival in addition to the local galleries and restaurants. Several thousand people there easily. Lots of diversity too. ACLU HQ is in Paseo as you know, lots of hippies, bohemians, yuppies, bikers, europeans, asians, native americans and other cultures represented. I took TONS of pics and will post soon. It was hot and muggy though.

Yep, I was there Saturday afternoon. Great crowd and a fun time.

OKCMallen
05-27-2008, 03:16 PM
The rumors are true... sort of... I understand it's not going to be your "average" restaurant experience -- at least nothing you're going to be used to.

Do tell.

Cid
05-27-2008, 06:18 PM
Paseo Grill is great. I hear rumors Joe might be opening another restaurant in the city...hope he does, he does fine work.
Joe who?

bandnerd
05-27-2008, 07:25 PM
Joe is the owner of Paseo Grill. Forgive me, I can't remember his last name. The rumors are true. My brother in law is a waiter there on weekends. I would share, but it's not all worked out, and I don't want to be made a liar. But, if what I have been told is true, it's going to be pretty darn cool.

Midtowner
05-27-2008, 09:44 PM
Joe is the owner of Paseo Grill. Forgive me, I can't remember his last name. The rumors are true. My brother in law is a waiter there on weekends. I would share, but it's not all worked out, and I don't want to be made a liar. But, if what I have been told is true, it's going to be pretty darn cool.

What she said.

CCOKC
05-27-2008, 09:45 PM
We also went yesterday and had a few drinks and lunch at Paseo Grill. Can't wait to hear about the new venture since this is one of our absolute favs.

bandnerd
05-27-2008, 09:47 PM
It has been way too long since we had dinner there. I had lunch over spring break with my sis, and it was lovely, even if she made me try tuna tar-tar. Not my cuppa.

Hint hint to Midtowner.

so1rfan
05-28-2008, 07:10 AM
"Bohemian" best describes the Paseo Arts Festival.

There are good and not so good things about the PAF.

The good is that it brings awareness to the arts district. It shows that OKC can let it's hair down. It's a great place for people watching, the art is more regional, and it still allows pets (but for how long?).

It does need to improve on their food venues. The food booths are more state fair instead edible fare. Also my understanding is that the "flea market" booths where vendors are selling the mass produced non art is set up by a different group. But since they are in such close proximity no one knows the difference. This cheapens the festival and does a disservice to the 78 artists that have their work juried to get into the show.

OKCMallen
05-28-2008, 07:33 AM

The good is that it brings awareness to the arts district. It shows that OKC can let it's hair down. It's a great place for people watching, the art is more regional, and it still allows pets (but for how long?).

It does need to improve on their food venues. The food booths are more state fair instead edible fare. Also my understanding is that the "flea market" booths where vendors are selling the mass produced non art is set up by a different group. But since they are in such close proximity no one knows the difference. This cheapens the festival and does a disservice to the 78 artists that have their work juried to get into the show.

Just because the focus of the Festival of the Arts is food doesn't mean that the PAF's focus has to be. If you want good food, go to the Paseo Grill.

kmf563
05-28-2008, 10:56 AM
We went on Monday afternoon. Nothing better than Edgar Cruz for the ears and Sauced pizza for the tummy! It was ridiculously humid though.

A note for those girls trying to charge people $5 to park in their yard...it's the paseo. Not Norman. Why would anyone pay to park in your grass when there are perfectly good free curbs all around your house?

metro
05-28-2008, 11:23 AM
kmf, I know what you're saying, but I saw plenty of people paying to park. I prefered to park a few blocks away and walk for free.

wsucougz
05-28-2008, 12:20 PM
I got something in the mail from Paseo Grill the other day that made mention of them opening an "annex" across the street from the main location that will serve as "your own private restaurant" for large parties.

This is probably separate from what has been mentioned above, however.

bandnerd
05-28-2008, 12:49 PM
Nope, that's it ;)

namellac
05-28-2008, 01:20 PM

I'd say that there were a few of the artist booths that probably belong over in the flea market area, and vice-versa. Don't mean that in a demeaning way, they may just need to separate out the "Juried Art" from the rest of the stuff - handicrafts, wearable art, and the like.... I think it is good to have both though. I remember going to the Fest before they had the handicraft stuff, and it really wasn't much to see.

Being able to do wine tasting as you walk through is pretty cool. Be nice to have beer tasting as well.

I definitely agree about the food. The "Fairground-ish" look of food row was enough to deter me. It was too muggy to eat anyway.

Misty
05-28-2008, 02:20 PM
It was awesome. I spent three entire days sitting in a chair in the front lawn watching all the people go by. Met a lot of great people throughout the weekend! Good times.

so1rfan
05-28-2008, 06:42 PM
Just because the focus of the Festival of the Arts is food doesn't mean that the PAF's focus has to be. If you want good food, go to the Paseo Grill.

I didn't say they needed to make food a focus, I said it needs to be improved.

OKCMallen
05-28-2008, 07:04 PM
How long are you there? Like 8 hours? Eat before or after, or take a snack. You're not the first person I've heard criticize the PAF because of the food, and it makes me roll my eyes every time someone does it.

redcup
05-28-2008, 07:13 PM
The flea market stuff was a separate group that piggybacked on the festival's advertising. It went all the way to city council with no good resolution. They were given a separate permit and fought tooth and nail to stay there. It was very frustrating to the events coordinators, but their hands were tied. The stuff was NOT juried. They did their best by putting up barricades where they could, but other than putting up signs that said "Not Festival venue" (which they decided not to do) they could do no more. It is a very long story, that I am not sure I can explain correctly or even if I should say more. As in all things...follow the money......it can make strange and unfriendly bedfellows!

I am glad you all had fun. I know I did. The humidity almost did me in!!!!!

:sofa:

FritterGirl
05-28-2008, 07:45 PM
It is a very long story, that I am not sure I can explain correctly or even if I should say more. As in all things...follow the money......it can make strange and unfriendly bedfellows!

I am glad you all had fun. I know I did. The humidity almost did me in!!!!!

:sofa:

One of the artists in the non-"official" side was a jeweler from out of state who had been included in the juried show for multiple years, to great success. I sought her out every year and have purchased several pieces from her.

She wasn't there at all last year, and this year I was thrilled to find her at the "non-official" show. According to her, she had a great relationship with the event organizers and sold very well at the festival. Last year they apparently dumped her. She said the reason was ''political," but would not elaborate.

While I would agree there were several vendors on the non-official side that definitely should NOT have been part of the juried event (junky flea market stuff), there were also a few whose work easily could have been included, and in some instances, was far superior to or more unique than some of the work in the juried show.

My SO and I went down on Saturday early afternoon (where I found my long-lost jeweler), and again Sunday evening. I think we got there a bit too late on Sunday as many of the booths had already closed down. It would have been a neat experience to walk around and enjoy the artwork in the pleasant evening weather.

so1rfan
05-28-2008, 10:29 PM
How long are you there? Like 8 hours? Eat before or after, or take a snack. You're not the first person I've heard criticize the PAF because of the food, and it makes me roll my eyes every time someone does it.

I go there because of the art and the atmosphere. The PAF is one of my favorite events.

I am not criticizing the PAF because of the food, I just think it could be improved.

There are two other mid major art festivals in the OKC area, the Edmond and the Fall Festival at OCCC. All three basically have the same food fare. If I was running any of those festivals, that is the first thing I would try to improve. Perhaps by finding a signature food. For example the OKC Arts Festival is identified with Strawberries Newport. And don't get me wrong, I'm not saying get 40 food vendors in tents, but a half dozen or so would be an improvement.

I also like the idea of expanding the wine tasting, but the liability factor has to be a detriment. It would however be one of those things that would make a festival unique.

namellac
05-29-2008, 02:07 PM
Politics? In the Art World? Say it ain't so! ;-)

Either way, the two shows do compliment each other, and if it draws more traffic and $$$$ because of it, then so be it. The vendors with the crappy stuff will be "naturally selected out" when they realize they are losing money paying for booth space.

bornhere
05-29-2008, 05:24 PM
The shows may complement each other, but here's the hitch, at least as I see it... the 'extras' that are part of the Paseo Arts Festival, including the music and the food, are arranged by the artists association.

These things help draw the crowds to the Paseo, and the coattail exhibitors contribute nothing to them, although they benefit from their presence.