View Full Version : NewsOK.com's American Idol Spoiler

dismayed
05-23-2008, 10:53 PM
The other night, just minutes after American Idol ended, I noticed that the NewsOK.com website had a huge picture posted on its front page of the winner with a headline that read "Congratulations to _____ , winner of this season's American Idol!" or something to that effect.

I thought everyone on the planet had heard the concept of what a spoiler is by now, and that you're supposed to do a 'spoiler alert' before doing something dumb like that.

I guess I am posting this in the hopes that someone from the site is reading and I can point out the faux paux of their ways.

The Old Downtown Guy
05-23-2008, 11:24 PM
This is the most incredible and exciting thread I have ever seen pop up on this forum. Thanks for bringing this to my attention, I am eternally in your debt. I live and breath American Idol and even the most insignificant little bit of trivia about this pop culture phenomena just makes the hair stand up on the back of my neck.

dismayed
05-24-2008, 12:07 AM
So I had to edit this post because my initial response was about as mature as your post. I'm sorry you didn't find my post of value. As someone that has as many posts as you do, I think we'll both agree that every once in a while we post things that aren't of interest to many others... I'm sure I let my general hatred of The Oklahoman blind me to that fact.

Have a good day.

andy157
05-24-2008, 12:17 AM
The other night, just minutes after American Idol ended, I noticed that the NewsOK.com website had a huge picture posted on its front page of the winner with a headline that read "Congratulations to _____ , winner of this season's American Idol!" or something to that effect.

I thought everyone on the planet had heard the concept of what a spoiler is by now, and that you're supposed to do a 'spoiler alert' before doing something dumb like that.

I guess I am posting this in the hopes that someone from the site is reading and I can point out the faux paux of their ways.I'll be the first to admit. I've lead a sheltered life. So please, explain if you will, what exactly is a "spoiler alert", and how do you do one?

mmonroe
05-24-2008, 04:35 AM
Yes, elaboration would be nice.

so1rfan
05-24-2008, 09:15 AM
A spoiler alert would be something akin to having on the front page "click here to find out which David is the new American Idiot" instead of splashing the info right on the front page.

However 99% of the people who really cared to know who became the next winner of a kareoke competition that will fade into obscurity in a few years was watching the show anyways and already knew who won.

It's not like they splashed "Soylent Green is People" on the front page.

dismayed
05-24-2008, 10:40 AM
Yeah, exactly. Or like for example if you go to the movies/entertainment board on this website you'll find that usually when someone starts to review a movie they have just seen they will give some generic details first, but then you'll see "SPOILER ALERT" followed by a bunch of blank lines and then below that it gets into the specifics of the movie. Basically a 'keep reading at your own risk' type note that tells you they are about to give away a major plot detail.

I actually don't even watch American Idol. My beef was with the fact that it is 2008 and a supposedly modern newspaper/website hasn't even heard of this concept yet. It's been common-place on the Internet since the mid-1990s.

Saberman
05-24-2008, 11:35 AM
I'm really sorry I even read this tread, now I know I have to much free time.

kevinpate
05-24-2008, 12:30 PM
... now I know I have to much free time.

I hear they're still needing docents at the Soylent Green plant

bornhere
05-24-2008, 01:37 PM
Maybe I missed something. You're saying they posted this news after American Idol was over and the winner had already been announced?

Karried
05-24-2008, 02:20 PM
It was probably before the voting had ended.

On a side note, here at OKCTalk, we enjoy all types of discussions.....if it's not your cup of tea, go have a Long Island Iced Tea and come back and read something else.

edcrunk
05-25-2008, 12:07 AM
This is the most incredible and exciting thread I have ever seen pop up on this forum. Thanks for bringing this to my attention, I am eternally in your debt. I live and breath American Idol and even the most insignificant little bit of trivia about this pop culture phenomena just makes the hair stand up on the back of my neck.
bwahahahahahahahahah! i put on my LOLler skates for that one.
i'm sorry dismayed, but that was freakin funny.

btw.... SOYLENT GREEN WAS MADE FROM PEOPLE!!!

thanx a lot you dirty spoilers, i never saw the end of that movie!

jbrown84
05-25-2008, 02:54 PM
Maybe I missed something. You're saying they posted this news after American Idol was over and the winner had already been announced?

Yes, the winner was announced. The only reason it's a big deal in this day and age is that we live in the age of TiVo. Many, like me, could not watch it live. However if you are in that situation, you go to news websites at your own risk. Especially when one of the potential winners is an Oklahoma resident and it's a local news site.

Blazerfan11
05-26-2008, 12:44 PM
I thought it was wrong of Cornett to do the diet thing, it will discourage call centers from wanting to locate here as fat people are very necessary for them to run effectively.

andy157
05-29-2008, 09:32 PM
I thought it was wrong of Cornett to do the diet thing, it will discourage call centers from wanting to locate here as fat people are very necessary for them to run effectively.Nice spoiler alert.

jbrown84
05-30-2008, 01:27 PM
More like... where in the world did that come from???