View Full Version : American Collegiate Rowing Championships this weekend!

metro
05-23-2008, 07:31 AM
OKC moving up the ladder in water sports
Journal Record
May 23, 2008

OKLAHOMA CITY – Mike Knopp has some big ideas, and after his early successes, it would probably be hard to ever find anyone standing in his way.

Knopp is executive director of the Oklahoma City Boathouse Foundation and is head coach of the rowing team at Oklahoma City University. If Knopp had his way, Oklahoma City and the Oklahoma River would be the water sports hub of America. And in the past year, there has been no shortage of events on the river, and Knopp has been the catalyst.

The activities will fire up again Saturday and Sunday when Knopp and the foundation host the American Collegiate Rowing Association National Championship. More than 600 athletes will represent 41 colleges and universities during the rowing event, which will run from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. each day.

The ACRA is the latest in a list of events that comprise the Oklahoma City Boathouse Foundation Champion Series, which includes nine major events and several others over a three-year period. Up to 5,000 visitors related to the teams and coaches are expected to attend, and since there is no admission charge, there could be many more local fans in the stands.

So far this year, the foundation has hosted the Olympic Trials of canoe/kayak and the Central Youth Champion in rowing. Next up after this weekend is the USA Canoe/Kayak Championship in August, and in October many clubs and universities will be represented during the Oklahoma City University Head of the Oklahoma Regatta.

“We went from having the OCU Head of the Oklahoma last year and were able to bring in prominent teams in the rowing world,” Knopp said. “That kicked it off, and due to the feedback from the U.S. National team and others at the world challenge last October, we built off the momentum. It points to Oklahoma City to becoming a real Mecca in water sports.”

Knopp’s OCU team will be part of the action, which will include club teams from the University of Oklahoma and Oklahoma State University. The ACRA will include several divisions, including men’s varsity eight, junior varsity eight, freshman-novice eight, varsity four, freshman-novice four, lightweight four and pair. Women also will compete with the same divisions.

Oklahoma City has hosted water sports events for decades, but it really came to light in 1989 when the U.S. Olympic Festival came to town. At that time, the rowing events were in the North Canadian River at the edge of Lake Overholser.The Oklahoma River yields many more opportunities, Knopp said.

“When we started back in the 1990s, we had hosted small regional events, mostly informal, to get people to Oklahoma City,” Knopp said. “The river there was not real conducive to events because it’s not very big. Lake Hefner and Lake Overholser themselves have too much open water to have a real official rowing event. With our winds, it can create some problems and make conditions challenging for big events.”

He said the Oklahoma River offers shelter the lakes do not. “It is very protected downtown and is wide enough to accommodate all the lanes you need to host an official regulation event,” he said.

Knopp said he hopes the city can be to rowing and other water sports what it is to softball. “We’re centrally located and it makes it accessible to people from across America,” he said. “It makes Oklahoma City the destination, sort of like softball with the Women’s College World Series. We see this as a great opportunity for us. We’ll be hosting it again next year and it has the potential to be the world’s largest collegiate national championship.

We expect next year’s numbers to far outdo this year. It’s only going to get bigger.” ACRA President Gregg Hartsuff said Oklahoma City is an excellent venue.“The facilities at the Chesapeake Boathouse and the race course are both world-class, and it’s in an urban setting, so there are plenty of hotels and restaurants to support the event,” Hartsuff said. “It seemed like the logical choice for us.”

http://journalrecord.com/_images/articles/t_labsjs-rowing-%20jp.jpg
The American Collegiate Rowing Association National Championship will be Saturday and Sunday along the Oklahoma River. The event will be part of the Oklahoma City Boathouse Foundation Champion Series. (Photo by Jennifer Pitts)

dalelakin
05-23-2008, 06:34 PM
These are the events that are going to get OKC the positive national press that we desire. I remember 1987 in Indianapolis when the Pan Am games came to town that was the catalyst that really drove a lot of the current success there IMO. At the time Indy kept touting itself as the Amateur Sports Capitol after much success on the amateur side they moved up to pro sports and look at them now they will be hosting the Super Bowl in 2012. Sure there were several other factors that contributed but I honestly feel that the press that Indy got from those games helped more than having a Pro team show up there. Hopefully boathouse row comes to fruition and boosts OKC in the same manner with more and more national and hopefully eventually an international rowing events coming to town. If it does we will be showing the rest of the country and the world just how much is happening here and how far we have come in such a short period.

jbrown84
05-24-2008, 09:12 PM
In Bricktown, there were banners welcoming people to the Big XII Baseball Championship AND the Rowing National Championship. Pretty impressive. I say we've come so far...

I was down there briefly before boarding the Devon Explorer. There was a flurry of activity going on.

LMac11
05-26-2008, 11:45 AM
We had the pleasure of attending the American Collegiate Rowing Championships this weekend. As visitors from Seattle we had no idea what to expect from our visit to OKC. We came away VERY impressed!! Visits to a terrific rowing venue, Bricktown and a moving visit to the National Memorial were great. CONGRATULATIONS to Mike Knopp and his vision and to Gregg Hartsuff for a well planned and expertly executed regatta. Keep up the good work OKC. You have some new fans in the Pacific Northwest!

metro
05-27-2008, 08:25 AM
LMac, welcome to OKC! Glad you had a good experience.

Did anyone take pics of the event? I didn't make it out. I did take TONS of pics of the Paseo Arts Festival and other happenings this weekend. Will post those soon.

jbrown84
05-27-2008, 10:31 AM
I have a few. I'll try to post them later.

keving
05-28-2008, 10:47 AM
How about a video of some pictures taken at the event?

LmEFBiNcL4Y

keving
05-28-2008, 11:40 AM
By the way, there were 21 states represented. Here is a list of the colleges in attendance.

Bucknell University (Lewisburg, PA)
Cal State University Long Beach (Long Beach, CA)
College of St. Catherine (St. Paul, MN)
Emory Crew Club (Atlanta, GA)
Grand Valley State University Rowing Team (Allendale, MI)
Iowa State University Crew (Ames, IA)
Kansas State Mens Crew (Manhattan, KS)
Kansas University Crew Club (Lawrence, KS)
Michigan State Crew Club (East Lansing, MI)
Northwestern University Crew (Evanston, IL)
Notre Dame Rowing Club (Notre Dame, IN)
Ohio State University Crew Club (Columbus, OH)
Oklahoma City University (Oklahoma City, OK)
Oklahoma Crew (Norman, OK)
Oklahoma State University (Stillwater, OK)
Old Dominion University Rowing Club (Norfolk, VA)
Penn State University Crew (University Park, PA)
Purdue University Crew (West Lafayette, IN)
Texas Crew (Austin, TX)
Tulane University Rowing Association (New Orleans, LA)
U.S. Military Academy Crew (West Point, NY)
University of California - Davis Mens Crew (Davis, CA)
University of California - Los Angeles (Los Angeles, CA)
University of California - Santa Barbara (Santa Barbara, CA)
University of Cincinnati Rowing Club (Cincinnati, OH)
University of Colorado (Boulder, CO)
University of Maryland Baltimore County (Baltimore, MD)
University of Maryland Mens Crew (College Park, MD)
University of Michigan Mens Crew (Ann Arbor, MI)
University of Minnesota Mens Crew (Minneapolis, MN)
University of North Carolina Crew Club - Men (Chapel Hill, NC)
University of Pittsburgh (Pittsburgh, PA)
University of Rochester (Rochester, NY)
University of St. Thomas Crew Club (St. Paul, MN)
University of Tampa (Tampa, FL)
University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA)
University of Virginia Rowing Association (Charlottesville, VA)
Washington State University, Men (Pullman, WA)
Washington University Crew (St. Louis, MO)
Wayne State Crew (Detroit, MI)
Wichita State University Rowing (Wichita, KS)

LMac11
12-28-2008, 12:28 AM
Anybody know why the 2009 ACRAs were moved from OKC to Oak Ridge? Seems like a loss for OKC.

Guy Noir
12-29-2008, 05:39 PM
I heard that maybe there was just too much upheaval either on the river or on the building site(s) for the new boathouses.

Maybe someone who lives in OKC can comment on the progress of "boathouse row"?

warreng88
12-30-2008, 08:09 AM
I heard that maybe there was just too much upheaval either on the river or on the building site(s) for the new boathouses.

One of my wife's friends works for the boathouse so I will check with her and get back to you.

bombermwc
12-30-2008, 10:30 AM
As I understand things, each of them are just working towards building the funding for their respective boat houses. I thought I had heard that OCU was done with that part and was supposed to start construction soon....

keving
12-30-2008, 05:54 PM

Yes, construction of new boathouses.
American Collegiate Rowing Association (http://www.americancollegerowing.com/regatta/2009/PressRelease_10Dec09.html)

In the first quarter of 2009, they will be re-working part of the river bank where the new OCU boathouse will be and start construction on that boathouse. Yeah!

warreng88
01-02-2009, 07:46 AM
I talked to my wife's friend and she said:

"We requested it to be moved. With construction, we can not host the level of event that we hold ourselves too. It will be back in 2010!

They will be draining the river this week and start shoreline improvements. Breaking ground on the Boathouse will not be for a few more months."

Hope this helps you all out.

lasomeday
01-02-2009, 08:30 AM
Are they going to remove all of the rocks along the edge and make it look more natural?

Guy Noir
01-02-2009, 10:10 AM
Are they going to remove all of the rocks along the edge and make it look more natural?

I very much doubt it. The rocks are there to dispel any wave action and to stop any waves from rebounding into the boats. It was designed like that.

jbrown84
01-03-2009, 02:40 PM
I'm not sure about that. When the Army Corps of Engineers redid the river 30-40 years ago, I don't think they were thinking about boats.

keving
01-12-2009, 09:53 PM
From the drawings and renderings I saw, the North shore will not have rocks anymore once all the boathouses are complete. I'm not sure what will happen in the meantime with just one boathouse being built.